Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » This is not a government with any real support for its approac

Comments

• Options
    stodge said:

Last night but it was very vague and it is more likely he would be nominated

I'd be perfectly happy to have Clarke as an interim PM to agree the extension and block the No Deal.

As for Corbyn, with the appropriate shackles, he could do the same job though without Clarke's style.

As to how Johnson and the other No Dealers respond if and when the caretaker Government gets the extension voted through the Commons, we'll see.
    I too would be content with Ken but under no circumstances Corbyn
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,249

Cummings is this administration's Bannon.

He'll be gone before too long.

He can get a column in the Telegraph where he can slag off Boris Johnson for not believing in Brexit enough.
    Or he can spend his days designing a hyper-spatial, multi-verse project management tool.
  • Options

dixiedean said:

Scott_P said:
    This is the danger with Cummings. He works on binary questions. Them and us.
    He knows nowt, and cares less, for internal Tory politics.
    Internal Tory politics right now are brutal. We need a resolution and one side must vanquish the other, it is politically kill or be killed.

May's career died because she was impotent and useless. Boris must defeat people like Hammond if he is to have any chance.
    It may even be part of Johnson's strategy in playing hardball with Parliament: clearly if MPs let him have his way then the hardcore Remainers will be beaten, but if a majority can be assembled to install an alternative PM (and, in my opinion, this is now the only sure way to avert No Deal AND the only viable alternative PM is Corbyn) then any sitting Conservative MP who does it can be instantly deselected.

It's essentially an invitation to any Tory MP who thinks staying in the EU is the first imperative of policy to stand by their principles - and be replaced by a candidate capable of supporting a Brexit manifesto and believing it.
    What are the chances of Philip Hammond becoming the next leader of the [sensible] Conservatives ?
    None to be honest. He may even face reselection
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Not the headline BoZo wants from the Borisgraph...

https://twitter.com/BBCHelena/status/1167539488899424256
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

I hope they do
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    Scott_P said:

Was that not suggested earlier by Gordon Brown?
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    justin124 said:

viewcode said:

nichomar said:

It’s interesting if you call him ‘Boris’ you are already psychologically biased towards him. His name is Alexander Boris’s De god knows what Johnson unless you call everybody else by their first names the you are adding to the con trick that Johnson is not what he is but some cuddles brilliant buffoon that can save the U.K. from disaster

James Gordon Brown and Leonard James Callaghan are on the phone. Quite a few people go by a name other than their first forename. Some also do nicknames, as James Jeremy Durham "Paddy" Ashdown can attest.
    Also James Harold Wilson - Arthur Neville Chamberlain - James Ramsay Macdonald.
    ‘Don’t call me Boris. People I like don’t call me that.’ His Christian name is not Boris but Alexander. Boris is his second name and his family call him ‘Al’.
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3510848/My-amitie-amoureuse-boris-johnson-Boris-loner-actually-rates-Dave-personal-close-friend.html
  • Options
    justin124 said:

Scott_P said:

Yes
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905

Incredible. The Brexiteers have now created a situation in which Tory MPs and the Financial Times openly advocate the election of a Marxist as PM.

Firstly, the Tory Party is splitting. The minority of MPs who flat refuse to contemplate No Deal under any circumstances - and are willing to do whatever it takes to stop it, up to and including installing a Corbyn Government - will, one would imagine, all end up resigning from the party or being thrown out.

Secondly, whether or not a majority for Corbyn as PM of last resort can be assembled is highly doubtful. On the one hand, how many Conservative MPs would be willing to take the ultimate step not merely of dethroning their own Prime Minister but also installing Jeremy Corbyn in his place? And, set against that, how many MPs on the Opposition side (over and above the DUP contingent, of course) might find they are unable to bring themselves to vote Corbyn into office, regardless of how badly they might or might not want to stay in the EU? It's not just the Lib Dems that are reluctant - John Woodcock, Frank Field, Lady Sylvia Hermon and all five remaining TIGs all immediately spring to mind.

Remember, if the anti-No Deal MPs are going to depose Johnson then they have to be absolutely sure they have the numbers to install Corbyn as well. If the 14 day period under the FTPA expires with no alternative PM having been appointed, then the current Government remains in office until after a General Election, which would almost certainly take place after October 31st.
  • Options
    surbiton19surbiton19 Posts: 1,469
    justin124 said:

Scott_P said:

Can this be done ? Many say the UK has to agree. But the March 29 deadline was removed by the EU Council when May was upstairs and not in the meeting of the 27.
  • Options
    DruttDrutt Posts: 1,093
    https://mobile.twitter.com/MSF_Sea/status/1167345918951272448

I don't know how bad it must be for people to flee to Moria. Don't they know what the dwarves awoke in the darkness of Khazad-dum?
  • Options
    surbiton19surbiton19 Posts: 1,469

dixiedean said:

Scott_P said:
    Internal Tory politics right now are brutal. We need a resolution and one side must vanquish the other, it is politically kill or be killed.

May's career died because she was impotent and useless. Boris must defeat people like Hammond if he is to have any chance.
    It may even be part of Johnson's strategy in playing hardball with Parliament: clearly if MPs let him have his way then the hardcore Remainers will be beaten, but if a majority can be assembled to install an alternative PM (and, in my opinion, this is now the only sure way to avert No Deal AND the only viable alternative PM is Corbyn) then any sitting Conservative MP who does it can be instantly deselected.

It's essentially an invitation to any Tory MP who thinks staying in the EU is the first imperative of policy to stand by their principles - and be replaced by a candidate capable of supporting a Brexit manifesto and believing it.
    What are the chances of Philip Hammond becoming the next leader of the [sensible] Conservatives ?
    After the break up ?
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,794

dixiedean said:

Scott_P said:

Nil.
  • Options
    steve_garnersteve_garner Posts: 1,019
    Off topic, just seen West Indies spinner Rakheem Cornwall bowling against India. He's just huge, by far the heaviest player I've ever seen playing in a test match.
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979
    edited August 2019

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Scott_P said:

You may be right. However, my point was, that Cummings, who has never been a member of any political party, is spectacularly inexperienced and unqualified for such a situation.
    He simply does not do nuance. May, for all her faults, kept the vast majority of the party together.
    Allow me to make myself a bit of a hostage to fortune.

I think Cummings' political genius is vastly exaggerated, and he is a bit of psycho.

Be happy to proved wrong in due course on this one.
    It does not take genius to get the Brexit supporting media eating out of your hand if you are promoting the agenda they advocate. If Johnson had 90% approval ratings or the Tories were at 60%+ in the opinion polls, that would be another thing. Genius does not make over 50% of the population fundamentally opposed to the agenda the Government you are working for is trying to implement. Johnson is pretty dim if he thinks he can engage in political discourse the same way as trump as the US is a two party system and the UK is a multi-party system with a record of tactical voting...
  • Options

dixiedean said:

Scott_P said:

After the break up ?
    The break up you seek will not happen before a GE

Too many careers at stake
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

I'm not sure I buy this. The EU has a new Commission incoming and a new budget to set. Do they still want us in the way by the time this all kicks off - especially given that there would, presumably, still be no resolution of Brexit in sight under these circumstances?
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,786
    justin124 said:

Scott_P said:

I believe your'e right. A hotel recommended by Norman Bates.
  • Options
    It’s clear that Cummings is now running the country. He is not only totally unaccountable, but also completely unhinged. What could possibly go wrong?
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,856

Every LD I speak to despises Corbyn and his ilk with a healthy passion. Harriet Harman, as an alternative from Labour, would be fine as would Yvette Cooper and there are other options.

Good to see YouGov pushing the LDs back up after a poor poll (outlier?) the other day. The other curiousity - CON/BP down to 45%, Lab/LD/Green now at 50%.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,981

Scott_P said:

I'm not sure I buy this. The EU has a new Commission incoming and a new budget to set. Do they still want us in the way by the time this all kicks off - especially given that there would, presumably, still be no resolution of Brexit in sight under these circumstances?

Scott_P said:

A new budget you say? I wonder how bad the budget looks without the UK’s contribution
  • Options

I agree. I think Boris(Cummings) have war gamed this as a battle between the people v parliament, the elite and judiciary and if any baulk his chosen path he will just announce a GE and challenge Corbyn to the battle. I see no circumstances where Corbyn would not agree

Following that I expect a near SNP whitewash and many London and south based conservatives to lose seats but for the conservatives to make considerable gains off labour in England and Wales but not enough for a majority

The HOC are likely to see a big increase in lib dems, and together with the SNP, and the remains of labour the conservatives could end up in the same position,

Indeed, this talk about legislating against No Deal plays into his hands in that scenario.

I think the best thing for MPs opposed to No Deal is to remove Boris Johnson from office and install someone else. I would be interested to see if the media would give his successor a fair wind as Johnson is enjoying at the moment. :wink: Lets remember Johnson has No Mandate for No Deal and removal from office eliminates the risk...

That is the one way to ensure Boris wins the subsequent GE with an overwhelming majority.
    Are you sure you don't post as HYUFD as well? Removing Johnson from office eliminates No Deal Brexit. Once Johnson is removed he becomes a loser. Little risk of a Marxist led Corbyn Government getting much extreme stuff through the H of C as an alternative Government would be multi-party. You might not agree with it and maybe it would not be stable but I think it takes the ground from under the extremist Johnson/Cummings strategy.
    That is a really stupid comment. I have opposed Boris as PM since the leadership contest and I disagree completely with his latest little jape. But if you remove him in any way other than by an election you make him the focal point for all Brexit support and make him almost certain to win the following GE on a policy of completing Brexit. Against a divided Remain camp he will walk it. I don't want him as PM so I would really rather you didn't give him that sort of help.
  • Options

It’s clear that Cummings is now running the country. He is not only totally unaccountable, but also completely unhinged. What could possibly go wrong?

He probably told Johnson what to write when he did the letters to submarine commanders.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,930
    Streeter said:
    Worst thing is it’s a retweet of one of his own tweets! What a desperate attention seeker 🙈
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,462

If Bad Al spinning for New Labour is anything to go by, 3 resounding election victories.
  • Options
    edited August 2019

Incredible. The Brexiteers have now created a situation in which Tory MPs and the Financial Times openly advocate the election of a Marxist as PM.

Firstly, the Tory Party is splitting. The minority of MPs who flat refuse to contemplate No Deal under any circumstances - and are willing to do whatever it takes to stop it, up to and including installing a Corbyn Government - will, one would imagine, all end up resigning from the party or being thrown out.

Secondly, whether or not a majority for Corbyn as PM of last resort can be assembled is highly doubtful. On the one hand, how many Conservative MPs would be willing to take the ultimate step not merely of dethroning their own Prime Minister but also installing Jeremy Corbyn in his place? And, set against that, how many MPs on the Opposition side (over and above the DUP contingent, of course) might find they are unable to bring themselves to vote Corbyn into office, regardless of how badly they might or might not want to stay in the EU? It's not just the Lib Dems that are reluctant - John Woodcock, Frank Field, Lady Sylvia Hermon and all five remaining TIGs all immediately spring to mind.

Remember, if the anti-No Deal MPs are going to depose Johnson then they have to be absolutely sure they have the numbers to install Corbyn as well. If the 14 day period under the FTPA expires with no alternative PM having been appointed, then the current Government remains in office until after a General Election, which would almost certainly take place after October 31st.
    RE: Tories splitting.

When the Liberals split in the last century they had competing factions who returned blocks of MPs. People seem to think that if a chunk of Tory MPs fails to back BJ in a VONC, then they will end their career. It is perfectly possible, especially in Remain orientated areas for A Tory Remain MP to be returned at the 'forthcoming election' IMO.
  • Options

If Bad Al spinning for New Labour is anything to go by, 3 resounding election victories.
    A million dead Iraqis?

Is Cummings a psychotic alcoholic too?
  • Options
    So the tories are unpopular but will win a General Election? So 52% voted for Brexit but its still unpopular?

I voted 'Remain' but it seems to me the delusionalists are mainly the commentators on this site. FFS get out of your bubble....!
  • Options
    stodge said:

Every LD I speak to despises Corbyn and his ilk with a healthy passion. Harriet Harman, as an alternative from Labour, would be fine as would Yvette Cooper and there are other options.

Good to see YouGov pushing the LDs back up after a poor poll (outlier?) the other day. The other curiousity - CON/BP down to 45%, Lab/LD/Green now at 50%.
    I have no problem with either Harman or Cooper but Ken is best with one of those two deputy
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,794
    isam said:

A million dead Iraqis?

I don't think he's an alcoholic, no.
  • Options
    isam said:

A million dead Iraqis?

I don't think Bad Al was psychotic. I think he had clinical depression. Two different conditions entirely.
  • Options

stodge said:

I have no problem with either Harman or Cooper but Ken is best with one of those two deputy
    Who do you think should be CofE, Home Secretary and Foreign Secretary?
  • Options
    isam said:

A million dead Iraqis?

Completely out of order, given Campbell's public battle with issues around mental health.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,999
    Is anyone other than HYUFD, iSam and Mortimer still listening to Bunter and his bunch of custards?
  • Options

Campbell never ran the country. Cummings does.

• Options
    Celtic v Rangers and it goes back decades. It happened when I lived in Edinburgh in the 1960' s
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125

RE: Tories splitting.

When the Liberals split in the last century they had competing factions who returned blocks of MPs. People seem to think that if a chunk of Tory MPs fails to back BJ in a VONC, then they will end their career. It is perfectly possible, especially in Remain orientated areas for A Tory Remain MP to be returned at the 'forthcoming election' IMO.
    Name them.
  • Options

stodge said:

Who do you think should be CofE, Home Secretary and Foreign Secretary?
    Not sure they are needed to achieve an extension and then an immediate GE
  • Options

isam said:

A million dead Iraqis?

Completely out of order, given Campbell's public battle with issues around mental health.
    Why is this "completely out of order"? His mental issues are entirely relevant given his position of control, including his chairing of the JIC at the time of the Iraq war (which by the way was completely and utterly disgraceful).
  • Options
    CaptainBuzzkillCaptainBuzzkill Posts: 335
    edited August 2019

Fraser Nelson delivers stunning Brexit warning to Tories as Ruth Davidson leaves party

”She has many reasons for resigning, but one is that she can’t sell an agenda she can’t bring herself to believe in. “This ought to give the Tories pause”.

Several issues are expected to rise out of the resignation, with Scottish independence a burning topic that may well take centre stage.

Ms Davidson is a staunch believer of staying in the UK, and had campaigned to remain in her eight years as leader - her resignation may well pave the way for bolstered independence support.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/1171700/brexit-latest-news-ruth-davidson-conservative-party-no-deal-eu-exit-scotland-tories/amp

I guess if you believe at some point in the future the Tories may find themselves in a coalition with the SNP then independence for Scotland is an electoral negative.

I very much take the opposite view.
  • Options

isam said:

A million dead Iraqis?

I don't think Bad Al was psychotic. I think he had clinical depression. Two different conditions entirely.
    He had a psychotic breakdown

https://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/mediapacks/mental-health-and-me/depression

Tell you what lads, let’s put him in charge of the country (unelected).
  • Options

Is anyone other than HYUFD, iSam and Mortimer still listening to Bunter and his bunch of custards?

Seemingly much of the country out of SW1 and most of the posters on this site....
  • Options

stodge said:

I'm as sure as one can be of anything these days that no alternative PM to Corbyn will be installed, because Corbyn himself won't back it. To allow himself to be sidelined in his way would spell almost certain death for his whole project: once the precedent is set, what justification is there to refuse any demand from a future confidence and supply or coalition partner that Labour should nominate an acceptable candidate as Prime Minister?

The whole idea would turn Corbyn into a spare part. It's fantasy.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

Has the very public sacking of Javid's SPAD made it more or less likely other SPADs will continue to undermine the government by leaking to the governments enemies like Hammond do you think?

What would happen if Javid simply ignored Cummings and announced that this lady is now working for him on a personal basis?
    The PM has the right to fire all SPADs.

If the Chancellor tried to do an end-run around that then I think the result would need to be a new Chancellor.
  • Options

isam said:

A million dead Iraqis?

A statement of fact. He would say the same about himself.

• Options
    Am I the only one who finds the Hard Left's rage about Johnson's use of the rules around end of parliamentary sessions laughable?

This is exactly the kind of tactic the left use all the time in endless committee meetings and conferences.
  • Options

Seemingly much of the country out of SW1 and most of the posters on this site....
    Whatever gets you through the night
  • Options

The (official) PM didn't fire her.
  • Options

The HOC are likely to see a big increase in lib dems, and together with the SNP, and the remains of labour the conservatives could end up in the same position,

Indeed, this talk about legislating against No Deal plays into his hands in that scenario.

I think the best thing for MPs opposed to No Deal is to remove Boris Johnson from office and install someone else. I would be interested to see if the media would give his successor a fair wind as Johnson is enjoying at the moment. :wink: Lets remember Johnson has No Mandate for No Deal and removal from office eliminates the risk...

That is the one way to ensure Boris wins the subsequent GE with an overwhelming majority.
    Are you sure you don't post as HYUFD as well? Removing Johnson from office eliminates No Deal Brexit. Once Johnson is removed he becomes a loser. Little risk of a Marxist led Corbyn Government getting much extreme stuff through the H of C as an alternative Government would be multi-party. You might not agree with it and maybe it would not be stable but I think it takes the ground from under the extremist Johnson/Cummings strategy.
    That is a really stupid comment. I have opposed Boris as PM since the leadership contest and I disagree completely with his latest little jape. But if you remove him in any way other than by an election you make him the focal point for all Brexit support and make him almost certain to win the following GE on a policy of completing Brexit. Against a divided Remain camp he will walk it. I don't want him as PM so I would really rather you didn't give him that sort of help.
    An election is what he wants and his prorogation of parliament is about. Don't make things personal about yourself in terms of whether you want BJ as PM or not. I was simply suggesting a strategy to end No Deal. Removing him from office kills him stone dead. As he has taken the ball away from parliament, MPs would be returning the favour. Legislating against No Deal does not stop the process but removing him from office does! He has not been elected by the UK electorate or MPs for that matter. I don't think BJ deserves an election on his terms, so MPs can cut him down and he can face one on the terms the MPs dictate. A small fraction of the population had a vote in the Tory leadership. That is clearly not democratic and MPs are the ones with the strongest democratic mandate at the moment in our parliamentary democracy.
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578

Yes of course, I agree that, at the moment, a Corbyn premiership is still unlikely. But it is less unlikely than it was a week ago and the fact that Conservative MPs and the voice of British capitalism (the FT) are openly contemplating the possibility is a measure of the disaster that Brexit has visited upon the Tory party.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,626

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Scott_P said:

You may be right. However, my point was, that Cummings, who has never been a member of any political party, is spectacularly inexperienced and unqualified for such a situation.
    He simply does not do nuance. May, for all her faults, kept the vast majority of the party together.
    Allow me to make myself a bit of a hostage to fortune.

I think Cummings' political genius is vastly exaggerated, and he is a bit of psycho.

Be happy to proved wrong in due course on this one.
    I’m sure you’re right.

On the other hand, he has, for now, achieved considerably greater influence than Bannon ever did.

I stick with my jumped up little shit assessment.
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

A million dead Iraqis?

Quite. Campbell was temperamentally utterly unsuited to any position of authority in government. And Blair let him chair the JIC!!!

This is an eternal stain on the Labour Party and anyone who tries to defend Campbell for his shameful behaviour. Against his behaviour Brexit is but a small matter.

How dare Campbell lecture anyone on anything.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,786

Scott_P said:

It is of course a nonsense story, apart from it being in some sense real Someone suggested it, and I think Brown was prompted to float it. No matter what anyone says the EU will be making some efforts to find a way out - I've no idea if those efforts are big or small, serious or token. Brown pontificating, and then an EU leak is precisely the way they'd so such a thing. If you imagined what the EU might try, then this is precisely that.

They'll have at least one more try. I can't see who they have left in terms of cards to play though. If you're playing "Brown" then there's no so much in your hand.

Brown will surprise us all by his appointment to some european office or other soon by the way. Who could begrudge it when he's a man of such helpful comment.
  • Options

Whatever makes you feel better....
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,856
    nichomar said:

nichomar said:

Scott_P said:
    He announced it two days ago but then Adonis is another one of those driven stir crazy by brexit

Scott_P said:
    He announced it two days ago but then Adonis is another one of those driven stir crazy by brexit
    It is pretty obvious to me that Boris Johnson is in an "election lockdown" given his daily media appearances. The Brexit supporting media are in full propaganda mode - I don't buy into it but that is what is going on. Maybe the proroguing of Parliament is about a snap GE as much as anything else. I have seen all this before with other PM's but the strategic positioning and media output is unmistakable. :wink:
    He wants to be no confidence
    He wants to be stopped from no dealing (who wouldn’t)
    He’s playing the opposition and they need to sit back and let him reap what he sows don’t give him his people v parliament election let him eat digest and regurgitate no deal
    But this is not a game! We live here and have to face the consequences.
    I know and I don’t know the answer I’m about to cut myself off from my remaining contacts because they really don’t accept anything but boris brexit as the only true answer. I’ve spent my life fighting tories and had some success but at this point it really isn’t worth the effort. It’s actually quite difficult existing in the over 65 cross tab when you are so far out of line
    Just read this.

@nichomar, I feel for you.

Come back to Remainia. My friends range between early 20s and mid 70s, and it really doesn’t matter how old you are so long as you have something interesting to say, can have a laugh, don’t mind small children, and think Boris is a tosser...
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

The (official) PM didn't fire her.
    The PM's functionary did under the PM's authority. Same thing.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Is anyone - even the thickest person in Britain - really stupid enough to believe Bunter and his hollow pledges? (Except HYUFD-ISAM)
  • Options

Campbell never ran the country. Cummings does.

Ha ha ha...you think Campbell "never ran the country"?!

Bless....
  • Options

You think BoZo is the authority and Cummings is the functionary?

Bless...
  • Options
    ab195ab195 Posts: 477
    Scott_P said:
    Did no one learn from the £350m on a bus? Cummings has done this on purpose. Challenging him helps give it airtime beyond its sell-by date.....
  • Options

Yes of course, I agree that, at the moment, a Corbyn premiership is still unlikely. But it is less unlikely than it was a week ago and the fact that Conservative MPs and the voice of British capitalism (the FT) are openly contemplating the possibility is a measure of the disaster that Brexit has visited upon the Tory party.
    It remains to be seen whether Brexit will help or hinder the Conservative Party. Many, possibly most, people thought Corbyn was electoral kryptonite in the run up to the 2017 election, myself included. Then 4 in 10 voters looked at him and thought "yes, I don't mind having him as Prime Minister, actually."

There are, of course, a number of ways in which Brexit could play out, all of which might have different potential consequences for the Tories, and for the wider political system. We may know a lot more about this in a few months - or there may have been yet another Brexit extension and the limbo could still be going on...
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Looking forward to it.

Cummings is Bannon.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    As opposed to Campbell???!!!

Campbell dismissed ministers, never mind SPADS! And helped win three elections for his "master"...
  • Options

• Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,856
    Evening all :)

Fascinating to see the final polls for the Saxony and Brandenburg State elections this Sunday.

In Saxony, the CDU Minister President Kretschmer loos likely to survive despite his party losing ground and his coalition partners,the SPD, taking a heavy hit. The FDP may return to the Landtag but Kretschmer's survival is being helped by the strong performance of the AfD which might get as much as 25% of the vote.

Since no one will deal with the AfD Kretschmer will likely be able to build another coalition and his task will be greatly aided if the FDP get back.

In Brandenburg, the SPD leader Woidke is in a similar position. His SDP/Linke coalition won't survive but with the AfD polling 21% and running a close second, the alternatives aren't obvious, The CDU are down as well and it may be Woiske will have to deal with the Greens who are also well ahead on 2014.

I suspect Woidke will cobble together a new coalition possibly with the Greens and Linke though that will be easier if the FDP are once again shut out and that's very much in the balance.
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578
    Omnium said:

Scott_P said:

It is of course a nonsense story, apart from it being in some sense real Someone suggested it, and I think Brown was prompted to float it. No matter what anyone says the EU will be making some efforts to find a way out - I've no idea if those efforts are big or small, serious or token. Brown pontificating, and then an EU leak is precisely the way they'd so such a thing. If you imagined what the EU might try, then this is precisely that.

They'll have at least one more try. I can't see who they have left in terms of cards to play though. If you're playing "Brown" then there's no so much in your hand.

Brown will surprise us all by his appointment to some european office or other soon by the way. Who could begrudge it when he's a man of such helpful comment.
    Brown was pretty poor as PM. But compared to those who have come after he is a titan.
  • Options
    Time to go

Discord everywhere and no end in sight

I have to say I have been with the family a little today and now have the TV off

It is remarkable how much better you feel when you realise that this forum is for political geeks and out there most people are getting on with their lives without constant bickering and division

Good night folks
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Bless...
    I think the way Javid's SPAD was fired by Cummings in that ungentlemanly way may shift quite a few votes.
  • Options

Time to go

Discord everywhere and no end in sight

I have to say I have been with the family a little today and now have the TV off

It is remarkable how much better you feel when you realise that this forum is for political geeks and out there most people are getting on with their lives without constant bickering and division

Good night folks

Quite. PB is a "remain" echo chamber.

Goodnight.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    Perhaps pollsters should ask people what they think about Cummings. Curious to see how many know who he is.
  • Options

Not a particular fan of BoJos. But then again he has the great positive of lacking the self-deluding self-righteousness that one sees on so many (ahem) political "betting" sites....
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    isam said:

isam said:

A million dead Iraqis?

"Psychotic" usually relates schizophrenia. I don't think Bad Al had schizophrenia as he clearly states his brother was schizophrenic and he was worried he had the same condition but did not. It is possible to have schizophrenia and depression, which is called schizo-effective disorder. It maybe that Bad Al made a mistake where it quotes him as saying he had a psychotic breakdown as the article repeatedly says depression. Some very gifted people have suffered psychotic breakdowns and I would not hold it against him. His attitude and arrogance is certainly something to hold against him but serious mental illness. No.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Bless...
    I think the way Javid's SPAD was fired by Cummings in that ungentlemanly way may shift quite a few votes.
    I think it will shift roughly as many votes as Bad Al shifted in the early days of Labour's government.
  • Options
    Trump’s own remarks about trade with Japan were even more telling. According to a White House transcript, Trump complained that while Japan sends us millions of cars, “We send them wheat. Wheat. (Laughter.)” Do farmers realize that their president considers their livelihood a joke?

At one level, it’s not hard to see why farmers supported Trump. Hostility to nonwhite immigrants was central to his campaign, and such hostility tends to be highest in places where there aren’t actually many immigrants. So rural America, with its still tiny immigrant population, was a receptive audience for his fear-mongering.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/29/opinion/trump-trade-farmers.html?action=click&module=Opinion&pgtype=Homepage
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,462

nichomar said:

nichomar said:

Scott_P said:

Scott_P said:
    It is pretty obvious to me that Boris Johnson is in an "election lockdown" given his daily media appearances. The Brexit supporting media are in full propaganda mode - I don't buy into it but that is what is going on. Maybe the proroguing of Parliament is about a snap GE as much as anything else. I have seen all this before with other PM's but the strategic positioning and media output is unmistakable. :wink:
    He wants to be no confidence
    He wants to be stopped from no dealing (who wouldn’t)
    He’s playing the opposition and they need to sit back and let him reap what he sows don’t give him his people v parliament election let him eat digest and regurgitate no deal
    But this is not a game! We live here and have to face the consequences.
    I know and I don’t know the answer I’m about to cut myself off from my remaining contacts because they really don’t accept anything but boris brexit as the only true answer. I’ve spent my life fighting tories and had some success but at this point it really isn’t worth the effort. It’s actually quite difficult existing in the over 65 cross tab when you are so far out of line
    Just read this.

@nichomar, I feel for you.

Come back to Remainia. My friends range between early 20s and mid 70s, and it really doesn’t matter how old you are so long as you have something interesting to say, can have a laugh, don’t mind small children, and think Boris is a tosser...
    Or, we could give Nichomar the advice a nice, sane person with his best interests at heart would give, which is that politics is a small part of life, and it's senseless to lose friends and comrades because you disagree over something. And that he might be able to give his contacts a valuable perspective from the other side they wouldn't otherwise get, and vice versa. Jeez.
  • Options
    ab195 said:

Scott_P said:
    Did no one learn from the £350m on a bus? Cummings has done this on purpose. Challenging him helps give it airtime beyond its sell-by date.....
    Yes. It’s 100% about cynical marketing and 0% about funding schools.

If Cummings is your hero, you need a soul transplant.
  • Options

isam said:

isam said:

A million dead Iraqis?

"Psychotic" usually relates schizophrenia. I don't think Bad Al had schizophrenia as he clearly states his brother was schizophrenic and he was worried he had the same condition but did not. It is possible to have schizophrenia and depression, which is called schizo-effective disorder. It maybe that Bad Al made a mistake where it quotes him as saying he had a psychotic breakdown as the article repeatedly says depression. Some very gifted people have suffered psychotic breakdowns and I would not hold it against him. His attitude and arrogance is certainly something to hold against him but serious mental illness. No.
    Tell you what...why dont we hold the deaths of hundreds of thousands of Iraqi civilians against him instead...?

Against this the charge of "mental illness" is perhaps a small matter.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,980

Celtic v Rangers and it goes back decades. It happened when I lived in Edinburgh in the 1960' s
    No excuse for it now G , just morons. Most people grew up.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:
    Yes. Apparently "whole bins" thrown.
  • Options

Not a particular fan of BoJos. But then again he has the great positive of lacking the self-deluding self-righteousness that one sees on so many (ahem) political "betting" sites....
    Get in line mate. Sign on the dotted line for rule by fuckwit.

You LOVE it!
  • Options
    ab195ab195 Posts: 477
    malcolmg said:

Is it actually sectarian or is it unemployed young men wanting a punch up? (Genuine question - emphasising that because it’s sometimes hard to tell on the internet).
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

Scott_P said:

Bless...
    Of course it will .....

Ps - I have a bridge if you are interested
  • Options

You LOVE it!
    Ho ho ho ..very satirical.

Ive lived under plenty of "fuckwits" over the last 60 years. Have you?
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

Omnium said:

Scott_P said:

Brown was pretty poor as PM. But compared to those who have come after he is a titan.
    No he was the second worst pm of my lifetime - May being the winner by a nose.
  • Options

An election is what he wants and his prorogation of parliament is about. Don't make things personal about yourself in terms of whether you want BJ as PM or not. I was simply suggesting a strategy to end No Deal. Removing him from office kills him stone dead. As he has taken the ball away from parliament, MPs would be returning the favour. Legislating against No Deal does not stop the process but removing him from office does! He has not been elected by the UK electorate or MPs for that matter. I don't think BJ deserves an election on his terms, so MPs can cut him down and he can face one on the terms the MPs dictate. A small fraction of the population had a vote in the Tory leadership. That is clearly not democratic and MPs are the ones with the strongest democratic mandate at the moment in our parliamentary democracy.

It doesn't kill him stone dead since he would overnight become the Leader of the Opposition [with 300+ MPs in his party still] with an upcoming General Election and it would be his party versus the most bizarre Rainbow Coalition ever. He would likely only temporarily be out of office.

You saw how the Coalition hurt the Lib Dems, you don't think having a Rainbow Coalition to deny Brexit and deny the PM might influence votes? Doing this would kill Farage, it would be a case overnight of if you want Brexit you must vote Tory and the unholy rainbow coalition will be fragmented trying to scoop up the Remainers votes.

And lets not forget at EU referendum roughly 2/3rds of seats and the vast, vast majority of marginal seats all voted Leave.
  • Options

You LOVE it!
    Ho ho ho ..very satirical.

Ive lived under plenty of "fuckwits" over the last 60 years. Have you?
    You sound about 12 so i doubt it.
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Floater said:

Scott_P said:

Bless...
    Of course it will .....

Ps - I have a bridge if you are interested
    It appears that my attempt at sarcasm was too cleverly disguised. It was of course in reply to Scott P!
  • Options

Omnium said:

Scott_P said:

I am always reminded when someone makes a comment like this of the anecdote I once remember reading, about a voter (I think in John Major's time) who claimed that every Prime Minister she had lived under had been worse than the one who came before.

I invite readers to consider what horrors may be to come after Boris Johnson and Jeremy Corbyn have both had a go. We shall truly look back on Theresa May's time in office as a golden age.
  • Options

Omnium said:

Scott_P said:

I am always reminded when someone makes a comment like this of the anecdote I once remember reading, about a voter (I think in John Major's time) who claimed that every Prime Minister she had lived under had been worse than the one who came before.

I invite readers to consider what horrors may be to come after Boris Johnson and Jeremy Corbyn have both had a go. We shall truly look back on Theresa May's time in office as a golden age.
    Boris can't possibly be worse than May. Corbyn will probably be the worst in living memory if he gets the chance.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,976
    ab195 said:

malcolmg said:

Is it actually sectarian or is it unemployed young men wanting a punch up? (Genuine question - emphasising that because it’s sometimes hard to tell on the internet).
    What makes you think they'd be "unemployed"?
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,980

malcolmg said:
    Yes. Apparently "whole bins" thrown.
    Why they thought have a republican parade in Govan , of all places , was a good idea is just unbelievable. NO excuse but was guaranteed to be riots.
  • Options
    Floater said:

Omnium said:

Scott_P said:

No he was the second worst pm of my lifetime - May being the winner by a nose.
    Blair was the worst. by a country mile. Disguised by the strong economy he inherited (and squandered).
This discussion has been closed.