Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Tangled Web that has evolved

Comments

• Options
    1,507,185 signatures
  • Options

Byronic said:

eek said:
    Interesting article. But Tom Chivers is crucially wrong about one thing. We are not playing chicken with all of Europe. We are playing chicken with Ireland. An entirely different scenario.
    Maybe, but if your opponent in the game of chicken *believes* that they are driving a tank and *believes* that you are driving a Chevy Vega then there is no reason for them to swerve even if they've seen that you've thrown your steering wheel away.
    But Ireland aren't driving a tank.

We'll see though, we've got our seat belt on and if there's to be a collision then so be it.
  • Options
    alex.alex. Posts: 4,658
    The EU have previously said that they don’t care what Parliament’s view on the Withdrawal Agreement is - it was negotiated in good faith with the U.K. government and they will not reopen it. So why should it matter to them whether Parliament are being denied a few extra days to debate something that won’t make any difference to the EU position anyway?
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

kjh said:

Nigelb you asked me a question this morning. Apologies but I've only just seen it. Been out all.

Unfortunately I can't disclose the issue that is causing a bit of a panic re the prorogue of parliament and previous discussions on here over the last few months, as it relates to my wife's work. I suspect it isn't confidential at all, but I need to respect her concerns.

A fair answer.

But given that all those bills will fail on the proroguing of Parliament, I was curious how many of them are necessary to the managing of any no deal Brexit, and how much extra damage the loss of them would be likely to result in.
    Anyone else care to comment on the loss of these bills in the context of a no deal Brexit?

Agriculture Bill
    Financial services (implementation of legislation) Bill
    Fisheries Bill
    Immigration & Social Security Coordination (EU Withdrawal) Bill
    Trade Bill

If need be they can be carried forward by a Minister or reintroduced. No big deal.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,315
    'Does Ruth Davidson going make independence more likely?'

https://tinyurl.com/yy2k9llr

These dreadful Nats with their made up anecdotes.

'I realise that anecdotes are not evidence but I am struck by how frequently I hear people all over the country saying that they have now changed their minds and would vote for independence if there was another referendum.'
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,885

I think somebody knew him from PB as they mentioned going for a pint with him! :wink: I cannot remember him ever using his name on here but he could of used an alias I suppose.

It's slightly strange when the PB world and the real world interact. I've realised I certainly know one PB poster, and I'm reasonably sure I've met another a couple of times. Not sure whether to broach it in real life...!
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,037

Byronic said:

eek said:
    Interesting article. But Tom Chivers is crucially wrong about one thing. We are not playing chicken with all of Europe. We are playing chicken with Ireland. An entirely different scenario.
    Maybe, but if your opponent in the game of chicken *believes* that they are driving a tank and *believes* that you are driving a Chevy Vega then there is no reason for them to swerve even if they've seen that you've thrown your steering wheel away.
    We aren’t driving a Chevy Vega. The UK is using a rusty Mini Moke in the hope we can drive underneath without being decapitated.
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143

Byronic said:

eek said:

We'll see though, we've got our seat belt on and if there's to be a collision then so be it.
    Hence the word "belief" in my comment.
  • Options
    spudgfshspudgfsh Posts: 1,312

dr_spyn said:

Ken is waiting.

Ken did good work as Chancellor but it is time for Ken to retire now.
    That's what he's been trying to do for the last couple of years. he's already said that he'd stand down at the next election and is why he's the perfect candidate for a temporary PM
  • Options
    spudgfsh said:

dr_spyn said:

Ken is waiting.

That's what he's been trying to do for the last couple of years. he's already said that he'd stand down at the next election and is why he's the perfect candidate for a temporary PM
    Another Con Gain at the next election for Brexit maths then.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,045

A report today said France and Germany stand to lose 55 billion alone on a no deal

We would not be the only ones shooting ourselves in the foot
    Franco German combined GDP is 6trillion USD, these days it's about 5trillion GBP. 55billion is about 1%. Since their combined growth rate is approx 2%, mutatis mutandis they'll end the year about 1% up... :(

• Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979

I think somebody knew him from PB as they mentioned going for a pint with him! :wink: I cannot remember him ever using his name on here but he could of used an alias I suppose.

It's slightly strange when the PB world and the real world interact. I've realised I certainly know one PB poster, and I'm reasonably sure I've met another a couple of times. Not sure whether to broach it in real life...!
    Yes, I suppose it depends on whether you like to compartmentalise life so the virtual stays that way or whether you want to break the barriers down. It is different for everybody I suppose!
  • Options

A report today said France and Germany stand to lose 55 billion alone on a no deal

A flea-bite compared with the cost of giving further ground now.

It is noticeable that there is no clamour amongst other EU members to follow the UK's example. Brexit has if nothing else helped bind the EU together.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    If the Scottish Tories were relying on just one person for their popularity, it wasn't really a very sustainable position.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,037
    edited August 2019

spudgfsh said:

dr_spyn said:

Ken is waiting.

How does that work when calculating which party has the most seats? Given that Ken Clarke is simply a centralist Tory.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,379
    Gabs2 said:

They should do if the alternative is anti-Semitic, Hamas-supporting bigot that is a betrayal of Labour values. The Labour movement is far more than the mottled crew that infiltrated and took over the party.

I sense yet another MASSIVE supporter of radical reform of our economy and society in favour of the working class - and in particular a full frontal assault on birth privilege - who to his or her bitter regret cannot contemplate voting or in any way supporting Labour whilst Jeremy Corbyn is the leader.

Such a problem. What on earth can be done.
  • Options

spudgfsh said:

dr_spyn said:

Ken is waiting.

It all came from his seat being abolished in the boundary review(s) when he decided to stand down in 2020 (when the election was going to be. He didn't want to try and fight for a new seat.

I could see a moderate labour candidate win against a brexit ultra tory candidate though. even a more moderate tory could lose if TBP stand
  • Options

It is noticeable that there is no clamour amongst other EU members to follow the UK's example. Brexit has if nothing else helped bind the EU together.
    I grant you that
  • Options

tl;dr summary of last post.

MPs had 68 working days.
    26%: They were due to spend 16 working on annual Conference season.
    40%: They chose to spend 27 on holiday.
    7%: They choose to spend 5 taking Friday's off from the Commons.
    6-10%: They're losing 4-7 due to proroguation.
    22-24%: They have left still sitting.

Even if there had been no proroguation, the Commons knew when it chose to take a six week holiday that they were taking off 40% of the time it had left to it.

Even if there had been no proroguation, the Commons knew when it chose to take its six weeks holiday, and chose to continue taking Fridays off that it was taking off almost half the time available to it even excluding Conferences.

Parliament could regain the lost time by bothering to sit on Fridays.

I have no sympathies with 4 lost days when MPs still think that sorting out Brexit was less important than taking six weeks off in the sunshine or bothering to turn up on Fridays.

You are going to be surprised by this, but I agree with you. MP's true natures have been revealed by Brexit, and with the best will in the world, they are not adequate to the task.
  • Options
    Will he be urging U.K. Labour to vote for the only Brexit deal on the table?

And what is his view of referendums and whether the outcome should be respected?

• Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,472

spudgfsh said:

dr_spyn said:

Ken is waiting.

He voted for Brexit.

If Somerset North East were to be taken by a pro-Brexit candidate, that would change the maths a bit.
  • Options
    OH NOW YOU'RE JUST TAKING THE PISS!!!!!
  • Options

Byronic said:

eek said:

Hence the word "belief" in my comment.
    Nobody yet seems to have made the point that the UK can never really throw the steering wheel out of the window, because right up until the last moment there would be the option of writing a letter withdrawing from Article 50.

The option of 'swerving' would exist until the moment of impact.

I believe the same would not be true of the EU, but please correct me if I am wrong.
  • Options
    Gabs2Gabs2 Posts: 1,268
    kinabalu said:

Gabs2 said:

They should do if the alternative is anti-Semitic, Hamas-supporting bigot that is a betrayal of Labour values. The Labour movement is far more than the mottled crew that infiltrated and took over the party.

I sense yet another MASSIVE supporter of radical reform of our economy and society in favour of the working class - and in particular a full frontal assault on birth privilege - who to his or her bitter regret cannot contemplate voting or in any way supporting Labour whilst Jeremy Corbyn is the leader.

I voted Labour for every election I could before Corbyn took over. I support big raises in the minimim wage, capital gains tax and inheritance tax. But I am also a (secular) Jew, who, for some odd reason, doesn't want to vote for a man that went to a remembrance service for a killer of Jewish civilians. Why do you think that could be?
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,913
    Charles said:

Posted in haste but someone just made an interesting point I hadn’t appreciated

In proroguing Parliament, Boris opens up possibility of a new vote on the WA. The limitation on reintroduction is on the number of times *per session* not in total

That is important. Surprisingly overlooked. Still does not justify the move.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,187
    AndyJS said:

If the Scottish Tories were relying on just one person for their popularity, it wasn't really a very sustainable position.

They aren't, Yougov this week has the Tories on 21% in Scotland, still above their voteshare in Scotland at every general election from 1997 to 2017 (Davidson was leader in 2015 as well as 2017)

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2019/08/29/voting-intention-con-34-lab-22-lib-dem-17-brex-13-
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    ydoethur said:

spudgfsh said:

dr_spyn said:

Ken is waiting.

He voted for Brexit.

If Somerset North East were to be taken by a pro-Brexit candidate, that would change the maths a bit.
    😂
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,456
    Jonathan said:

Charles said:

In proroguing Parliament, Boris opens up possibility of a new vote on the WA. The limitation on reintroduction is on the number of times *per session* not in total

That occurred to me straight away.

Maybe having been shown the very edge of the abyss, enough MPs will pass a WA?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

AndyJS said:

They aren't, Yougov this week has the Tories on 21% in Scotland, still above their voteshare in Scotland at every general election from 1997 to 2017 (Davidson was leader in 2015 as well as 2017)

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2019/08/29/voting-intention-con-34-lab-22-lib-dem-17-brex-13-
    Agree, but the media seem to think so.
  • Options

Nobody yet seems to have made the point that the UK can never really throw the steering wheel out of the window, because right up until the last moment there would be the option of writing a letter withdrawing from Article 50.

The option of 'swerving' would exist until the moment of impact.

I believe the same would not be true of the EU, but please correct me if I am wrong.

It kind of only works though if the EU believe it's a true change of position and not a mechanism for the delaying of exiting the EU. with what BJ has already said and TM before him it's not credible for the EU. It would require a new PM and probably another referendum.

what could happen is a request for an extension with the condition of an election / referendum. the SO for that could go through in a day
  • Options
    eek said:

spudgfsh said:

dr_spyn said:

Ken is waiting.

How does that work when calculating which party has the most seats? Given that Ken Clarke is simply a centralist Tory.
    Ken Clarke is a very good MP, he did vote for the TM Deal as well IIRC. The Tories have collectively lost the plot IMO. I cannot believe the party has got to the point where it considers wrecking the economy for no apparent reason. Immigration will change from European to the rest of the world. The economic gravity of the EU on our doorstep will warp activity in the same way that if Scotland left the British Union, the rest of the UK would. It is better to be in both economic and political unions, maximising all our economic decisions than an abstentionist policy on the side-lines.
  • Options
    ab195ab195 Posts: 477

It hasn’t happened yet. Give it 20 years.
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    viewcode said:

MPs had 68 working days.

Even if there had been no proroguation, the Commons knew when it chose to take a six week holiday that they were taking off 40% of the time it had left to it.

Even if there had been no proroguation, the Commons knew when it chose to take its six weeks holiday, and chose to continue taking Fridays off that it was taking off almost half the time available to it even excluding Conferences.

I have no sympathies with 4 lost days when MPs still think that sorting out Brexit was less important than taking six weeks off in the sunshine or bothering to turn up on Fridays.

You are going to be surprised by this, but I agree with you. MP's true natures have been revealed by Brexit, and with the best will in the world, they are not adequate to the task.
    surprised the Sun or the Mail or the Telegraph haven’t put something like this on their front page. Anti no deal MPs have been arguing for ages about the consequences of the short amount of time they have ( for which they have now got less). But have had almost zero scrutiny about how they had it within their power to give themselves substantially more Parliamentary time. but opted not to.

And for all this talk about how they “would” have cancelled the recess for the Party conferences. I really don’t see how that would have worked without also cancelling the conferences. Maybe they could have just cancelled the recess for the Libdem one...! After all the SNP conference normally falls outside the recess.

• Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,907
    The 64,000 dollar question;Does the weasel get away with it?
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,315
    edited August 2019
    HYUFD said:

AndyJS said:

Err, you realise that the proposition that the Scottish Tories were relying on just one person for their popularity has therefore yet to be tested?

The Murdo Fraser party has a nice ring to it, mind.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

HYUFD said:

AndyJS said:

Agree, but the media seem to think so.
    If the Tories beat Labour for 3rd place in Shetland tonight having been 4th in 2017 that may give a more realistic assessment
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Jonathan said:

Charles said:

Also removes the viability of the previously flagged threat to prorogue over October 31st if no new deal is agreed. Which I think is important.

• Options

eek said:

spudgfsh said:

dr_spyn said:

Ken is waiting.

Ken Clarke is a very good MP, he did vote for the TM Deal as well IIRC. The Tories have collectively lost the plot IMO. I cannot believe the party has got to the point where it considers wrecking the economy for no apparent reason. Immigration will change from European to the rest of the world. The economic gravity of the EU on our doorstep will warp activity in the same way that if Scotland left the British Union, the rest of the UK would. It is better to be in both economic and political unions, maximising all our economic decisions than an abstentionist policy on the side-lines.
    The only thing that matters is the future of the Tory party no more no less and even more important is Johnson staying as PM you can’t expect them to do anything in support of any other interest. There is ample proof on here for that point of view.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Charles said:

That occurred to me straight away.

Maybe having been shown the very edge of the abyss, enough MPs will pass a WA?
    Why would they?

Farage and the Brexit Party would destroy them. They wouldn't care much for that abyss either.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

spudgfsh said:

dr_spyn said:

Ken is waiting.

He voted for Brexit.

Don't confuse May's deal with Brexit, he voted against Brexit.

He voted against the referendum and he voted against Article 50 and he voted in favour of extending Article 50

He was the ONLY Tory MP to vote against Brexit when Article 50 was triggered.
    https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/staggers/2017/02/mps-who-voted-against-article-50
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,472
    edited August 2019

ydoethur said:

spudgfsh said:

dr_spyn said:

Ken is waiting.

He voted for Brexit.

Don't confuse May's deal with Brexit
    How would you know? You boast of not having read it. You take your cue from others who have not read it. So you do not understand it.

The simple fact is Rees-Mogg had the option to vote to leave the EU. He voted not to. Ken Clarke did.

So it's Somerset NE, not Rushcliffe, that needs a change of MP if we're to leave.
  • Options
    timpletimple Posts: 118
    "If something is achieved through cheating – or perceived as such – then it loses a vital bit of legitimacy." Well said.

Which explains why pro EU types have never accepted the original 2016 vote.

It's telling that the National Crime Agency still has not pronounced on the file handed to it by the electoral commission as to the true source of the Banks donation.

Never mind the fact that Cameron foolishly allowed Leave to be completely undefined, which explains why noone really can say what it should be now. At least the Scots Nats had the decency to produce a full manifesto that was debated.

And what about the way Liddington scoffed at Salmond as he tried to put across the point that such a massive change requires a supermajority. "Oh no silly man it is just advisory" smirk smirk.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,141
    viewcode said:

MPs had 68 working days.

Yes - so do I. MPs of all parties are pathetic.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

spudgfsh said:

dr_spyn said:

Ken is waiting.

He voted for Brexit.

He voted against the referendum and he voted against Article 50 and he voted in favour of extending Article 50

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/staggers/2017/02/mps-who-voted-against-article-50
    Ken Clarke is honest. He is not one of these people who changes opinions like a weather vein! KC is a man of principle, he was in limited company when he voted against the Iraq war as well. I think KC has very good judgement. KC has clearly stated he would rather Remain in the EU but did support the TM Brexit deal.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,445
    edited August 2019
    kinabalu said:

Gabs2 said:

Get rid of the anti-Semite.
  • Options

I saw a quote somewhere (I think it was heseltine) that the difference between the Tory party and Labour was that the labour party was always interested in ideals and dogma but the Tory party was most interested in power. this gave the Tories an advantage because they would change what they were offering to enable them to win power and didn't have any baggage to prevent it. What has happened, starting in the 1980s and has been growing ever since is they have been infected with the labour disease of idealism. this idealism has become fundamentalism on the issue of europe and is now more important than getting and maintaining power. it has also bled into the economic competence where a more fundamentalist view of how to run the economy has taken over.

The Tory party will only exist long term, let alone form a government, if it can cure itself of this fundamentalism.
  • Options
    Two new heroes this year. Alexis Tsipras and Stormy Daniels.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

spudgfsh said:

dr_spyn said:

Ken is waiting.

He voted for Brexit.

An oft made criticism of MPs who oppose no deal, but favour Brexit with a deal is that they should have “known what they were voting for when voting to trigger Article 50”. With the benefit of hindsight what would your advice have been to such an MP when the Article 50 vote came before the House?

• Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    So which of you keyboard warriors will be joining momentum on the barricades?

Go on block those roads and bridges - it's a great idea
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,079
    Charles said:

Yes, but they could have brought it back before by suspending standing orders, if they had the votes to pass it at all. They didn't and don't, since Boris won't bring it back - he could have essentially promised a new deal or no deal to be out, do or die, and then reluctantly stated parliament would block no deal, there was no new deal, so back to the WA it was as a 'do or die' moment. He hasn't, he's ramped up his attacks on it, never refers to the old deal without talking about the anti-democratic backstop. Sure we know he personally could accept the backstop because he voted for it, but he's effectively ruled out backing the WA again - it's election if no deal does not happen, not reintroducing the WA.

And if someone else tried reintroducing it Boris will surely whip against it, and how many are Tory loyalists and this not going to lend their votes to it again?
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,209
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

spudgfsh said:

dr_spyn said:

Ken is waiting.

He voted for Brexit.

Don't confuse May's deal with Brexit
    How would you know? You boast of not having read it. You take your cue from others who have not read it. So you do not understand it.

The simple fact is Rees-Mogg had the option to vote to leave the EU. He voted not to. Ken Clarke did.

So it's Somerset NE, not Rushcliffe, that needs a change of MP if we're to leave.
    I thought Mogg voted for it the third time round.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

spudgfsh said:

dr_spyn said:

Ken is waiting.

He voted for Brexit.

Ken Clarke is honest. He is not one of these people who changes opinions like a weather vein! KC is a man of principle, he was in limited company when he voted against the Iraq war as well. I think KC has very good judgement. KC has clearly stated he would rather Remain in the EU but did support the TM Brexit deal.
    Although of course for hard core Leavers, Clarke voting for the WA is proof that it wasn’t really Brexit!
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,806
    The Johnson government is a strange combination of ruthlessness, dishonesty and incompetence. The worst possible governance but fascinating for us politics geeks. You never know what he is going to do next
  • Options
    ralphmalphralphmalph Posts: 2,201

Scott_P said:
    These pro-EU protesters are losing the plot. Alex Chalk is very pro-EU and it was stated in Shipmans book that he was at the fringes of the Grieve group. I admit that he has kept his head down but he could be an ally of these people. I imagine the local Lib Dems got their rabble out.
    He's a good MP but he'll do well to stave off the LDs at the next GE.
    I think he has a very good chance, as well as being a good local MP fighting the right issues, the demographics of Cheltenham are changing, lots of retirement apartments have been and are being built. You can see the result in turnout in GE's since 2010
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,367
    edited August 2019
    timple said:

"If something is achieved through cheating – or perceived as such – then it loses a vital bit of legitimacy." Well said.

Which explains why pro EU types have never accepted the original 2016 vote.

It's telling that the National Crime Agency still has not pronounced on the file handed to it by the electoral commission as to the true source of the Banks donation.

Never mind the fact that Cameron foolishly allowed Leave to be completely undefined, which explains why noone really can say what it should be now. At least the Scots Nats had the decency to produce a full manifesto that was debated.

And what about the way Liddington scoffed at Salmond as he tried to put across the point that such a massive change requires a supermajority. "Oh no silly man it is just advisory" smirk smirk.

Both sides 'cheated' in your sense.

A stronger point is that the Leave campaign barely mentioned the possibility of a No Deal Brexit, and to the extent it did portrayed it as extremely unlikely. Indeed it strongly indicated that a Deal would be very easy to negotiate and that we 'held all the cards'.

The consequences of such misrepresentation are now all too apparent and undermine the authority of those who are prepared to take us out of the EU without a deal.
  • Options
    CiceroCicero Posts: 2,298
    algarkirk said:

Gabs2 said:

Streeter said:

Leaving the EU speedily does not. And yet it is speed which is prized. How very adolescent.

Article 50 set the 2 year deadline, not the UK.

Then the Government should have thought things through much more carefully and completely before triggering Article 50.

Whichever way you cut it it's down to the Tory party's gross incompetence we're in this mess.
    Tory incompetence, Lib Dem intransigence, Labour game playing. There is a lot of blame to go round.
    Just as Israel produces more history than can be consumed locally, so Brexit is producing more blame than can be digested by any one entity.

No... The Tories started the referendum process for their own internal political ends and at every point they have doubled down and made the crisis ever worse.

They have never offered the slightest gesture either to the nearly 50% who voted Remain or the large numbers of Leavers who wanted less political EU, but enough economic EU to be going on with. No compromise, no recognition, no sense, so now:

No EFTA
    No Single Market
    No Customs Union
    No Backstop

and now... a No Deal rammed through against the wishes of the clear majority of MPs and of the voters.

They are prepared to trash:

the economy,
    the union,
    the constitution
    the monarchy

in order to get an ultra hard Brexit

So the Tories own this fiasco and they can bloody well take whats coming to them.

Personally I can think of no humiliation that the repellent trio of Cummings, Mogg and Johnson do not deserve.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

spudgfsh said:

dr_spyn said:

Ken is waiting.

He voted for Brexit.

Ken Clarke is honest. He is not one of these people who changes opinions like a weather vein! KC is a man of principle.
    Are you implying Matthew Hancock is a snivelling arse licking obsequious little sycophant?
  • Options
    eek said:

spudgfsh said:

dr_spyn said:

Ken is waiting.

What is a "centralist Tory"?

Ken Clarke was the only Tory to vote against Article 50 and beginning the Brexit process. He was one of only 17 Tories to vote for the Spelman amendment to 'definitively rule out No Deal'. He was one of the minority of Tory MPs to vote to extend Article 50.

How is that "centralist"?
  • Options
    Cicero said:

algarkirk said:

Gabs2 said:

Streeter said:

Leaving the EU speedily does not. And yet it is speed which is prized. How very adolescent.

Then the Government should have thought things through much more carefully and completely before triggering Article 50.

Whichever way you cut it it's down to the Tory party's gross incompetence we're in this mess.
    Tory incompetence, Lib Dem intransigence, Labour game playing. There is a lot of blame to go round.
    Just as Israel produces more history than can be consumed locally, so Brexit is producing more blame than can be digested by any one entity.

No... The Tories started the referendum process for their own internal political ends and at every point they have doubled down and made the crisis ever worse.

They have never offered the slightest gesture either to the nearly 50% who voted Remain or the large numbers of Leavers who wanted less political EU, but enough economic EU to be going on with. No compromise, no recognition, no sense, so now:

No EFTA
    No Single Market
    No Customs Union
    No Backstop

and now... a No Deal rammed through against the wishes of the clear majority of MPs and of the voters.

the economy,
    the union,
    the constitution
    the monarchy

So the Tories own this fiasco and they can bloody well take whats coming to them.

Personally I can think of no humiliation that the repellent trio of Cummings, Mogg and Johnson do not deserve.
    But as long as they make money out of it it will all be worth it. This was never an argument about principle it was about saving millions in undeclared revenue and making money by betting against the pound.
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    These pro-EU protesters are losing the plot. Alex Chalk is very pro-EU and it was stated in Shipmans book that he was at the fringes of the Grieve group. I admit that he has kept his head down but he could be an ally of these people. I imagine the local Lib Dems got their rabble out.
    I think he has a very good chance, as well as being a good local MP fighting the right issues, the demographics of Cheltenham are changing, lots of retirement apartments have been and are being built. You can see the result in turnout in GE's since 2010
    Noted with interest, Ralph, a definitely a result to watch.

I live just outside the constituency so cannot assist, one way or the other. I'm stuck with Laurence Robertson, of whom the least said the better.
  • Options
    alex. said:

ydoethur said:

spudgfsh said:

dr_spyn said:

Ken is waiting.

He voted for Brexit.

An oft made criticism of MPs who oppose no deal, but favour Brexit with a deal is that they should have “known what they were voting for when voting to trigger Article 50”. With the benefit of hindsight what would your advice have been to such an MP when the Article 50 vote came before the House?

To think seriously about the consequences of their votes. To understand that once a process has begun there are no guarantees as to how it will end.

Do you think that is unreasonable advice?
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,635
    eek said:
    Interesting comment from The Columnist. His moderate Tory MP in the story has been through trying to get a moderate deal while everyone knew we would not crash out, and it achieved nothing. If he wants an acceptable deal it is impossible to think that excluding no deal/going for extensions will do anything but prolong his agony. His government's policy is to get a deal and get it through parliament. There is no evidence that anything but a game of chicken can achieve it.
  • Options
    Cicero said:

Harsh but true.

The problem I have as a voter is there is nothing I can vote for which will actually make a difference. I have, throughout my life, always lived in seats at a council level or parliament level which my vote didn't matter. I currently live in both a ward and constituency which have voted labour for my entire life (as far as I'm aware). Even at the next local council elections where the labour councillor up for election who is distrusted and responsible for some shady, if not outright corrupt, practices will still be elected.

it's not right but at the moment it is what it is.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

spudgfsh said:

dr_spyn said:

Ken is waiting.

He voted for Brexit.

Indeed he did which speaks volumes about how crap May's deal was and how petty politics is the only reason opposition Remainers voted against it. Also how arrogant and dishonest people like Grieve [who unlike Clarke pledged to honour the referendum] are.

Clarke understood that Parliament had voted in a way that could result in No Deal and he seized onto a soft deal when presented to him. Shame for Remainers that so many of his fellow travellers on Europe didn't follow his lead.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

I live just outside the constituency so cannot assist, one way or the other. I'm stuck with Laurence Robertson, of whom the least said the better.
    My Father is in your con and he moans about Laurence, even votes lib dem some times to register his protest.
  • Options
    Roger said:

ydoethur said:

spudgfsh said:

dr_spyn said:

Ken is waiting.

He voted for Brexit.

Ken Clarke is honest. He is not one of these people who changes opinions like a weather vein! KC is a man of principle.
    Are you implying Matthew Hancock is a snivelling arse licking obsequious little sycophant?
    Yes, I have always felt Hancock looked and acted untrustworthy. His actions in the last few months only serve to confirm my judgement on him...
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    There are going to be lots of posters with Swinson in Corbyns pocket in Con/Lib marginals and Corbyn in Nicola's pocket in Con/Lab marginals.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
    Scott_P said:
    Is this the same Jeremy Corbyn who couldn't be bothered to be seen by photographers in the same room as Swinson, Blackford and the others?
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Roger said:

ydoethur said:

spudgfsh said:

dr_spyn said:

Ken is waiting.

He voted for Brexit.

Are they not essential qualities to get into Johnson’s cabinet?
  • Options

Scott_P said:

My Father is in your con and he moans about Laurence, even votes lib dem some times to register his protest.
    He's pretty safe. Even in the most extreme Tory meltdown, it is far from clear whether the challenge to him would come from Labour or the LDs.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,379
    Gabs2 said:

I voted Labour for every election I could before Corbyn took over. I support big raises in the minimim wage, capital gains tax and inheritance tax. But I am also a (secular) Jew, who, for some odd reason, doesn't want to vote for a man that went to a remembrance service for a killer of Jewish civilians. Why do you think that could be?

OK. Perhaps I have misread you. If you voted Labour at GE 2015 then I have and I apologize.

Did you vote Labour at GE 2015?
  • Options

alex. said:

ydoethur said:

spudgfsh said:

dr_spyn said:

Ken is waiting.

He voted for Brexit.

To think seriously about the consequences of their votes. To understand that once a process has begun there are no guarantees as to how it will end.

I would advise that there is no other lawful route for getting what he would like, that the UK was exceedingly foolish to agree to a treaty containing such one sided terms and that one of the reasons for so many wanting to leave the EU is that it sometimes acts in a dominating manner. Make the best of it and hope you win the game of chicken.

• Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    nichomar said:

Cicero said:

algarkirk said:

Gabs2 said:

Streeter said:

No EFTA
    No Single Market
    No Customs Union
    No Backstop

the economy,
    the union,
    the constitution
    the monarchy

But as long as they make money out of it it will all be worth it. This was never an argument about principle it was about saving millions in undeclared revenue and making money by betting against the pound.
    Who got what revenue from where and failed to disclose it to whom?
  • Options
    FF43 said:

The Johnson government is a strange combination of ruthlessness, dishonesty and incompetence. The worst possible governance but fascinating for us politics geeks. You never know what he is going to do next

I think as an elector one has to take the unpalatable view of mitigating the potential for screw ups by a party aspiring to govern. It is this realisation that the only course of action for me at this time is to vote LD and hope enough people do the same to cause a very hung parliament...
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    There are going to be lots of posters with Swinson in Corbyns pocket in Con/Lib marginals and Corbyn in Nicola's pocket in Con/Lab marginals.
    That may well be true but it suffers from the same thing that Labour have been suffering from over the last 2 years. It is fighting the last election and not the next one.

The only ones of the UK parties which are fighting the next election are the greens (who always fight with the same strategy) and the Lib Dems.
  • Options
    "Opinion: The FT View

Boris Johnson’s suspension of parliament is an affront to democracy
    MPs must pass a no-confidence vote in the government and trigger a general election"

https://www.ft.com/content/9dbc7852-c9b2-11e9-af46-b09e8bfe60c0
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

Scott_P said:
    Is this the same Jeremy Corbyn who couldn't be bothered to be seen by photographers in the same room as Swinson, Blackford and the others?
    They should have just about enough votes to install a new government and leader by a week today. Interesting that they don't mention it among the demands they make on others.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Gabs2 said:

OK. Perhaps I have misread you. If you voted Labour at GE 2015 then I have and I apologize.

Did you vote Labour at GE 2015?
    Trying to work out whether he's a good one or not?
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    I note the statement does not say that the move was illegal or unconstitutional, which is good since in advance of the legal case it may be that it is perfectly legal. Focusing on it being a bad idea, never mind if it is legal, seems sound.
  • Options
    An excellent denunciation of Johnson's lies during the Referendum campaign by Ruth Davidson. I'd not noticed her much but in that one speech repeated on Ch4 News she exposed him more effectively than most for the lying turd he is.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

MPs must pass a no-confidence vote in the government and trigger a general election"

Yes they should - though of course that might result in Boris getting the backing for no deal in a GE which most of those upset at him want to avoid. Not guaranteed of course, I don't think he'd definitely do well, but if they want to stick it to him by ensuring we do not no deal, then passing a deal is the way to go rather than no confidence him, not agree on someone else, and trigger a GE.
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

dr_spyn said:

Scott_P said:
    They should have just about enough votes to install a new government and leader by a week today. Interesting that they don't mention it among the demands they make on others.
    In order for that to happen it needs to happen very quickly and they don't have the leader who can command the confidence of the house. What I suspect BJ to do with a VoNC is to hold out for two weeks and make election day the same a B-Day. then he gets his no-deal and the election on the same day, it'd work as a strategy to get leavers to vote for him.
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    I thought lsat week everyone was saying Swindon was a mini Tory?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Scott_P said:
    I note the statement does not say that the move was illegal or unconstitutional, which is good since in advance of the legal case it may be that it is perfectly legal. Focusing on it being a bad idea, never mind if it is legal, seems sound.
    It is being presented in many places as though it were at the least constitutionally murky. The optics are very bad but perhaps it will all add to the drama when he presents the deal.

I would feel this a lot more likely without Cummings skulking around.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

nichomar said:

Cicero said:

algarkirk said:

Gabs2 said:

Streeter said:

No EFTA
    No Single Market
    No Customs Union
    No Backstop

the economy,
    the union,
    the constitution
    the monarchy

In 2020 new regulations come into force that requires EU citizens to declare their worldwide wealth and income, failure to do so would be a criminal offense. Therefore if you are, for example an MEP with very large offshore investments you would not be very keen to have to declare that, currently, tax free income. That is why they are so desperate to get the U.K. out before these regulations come into force.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Wouldn’t that have the effect of giving MPs even less time to avoid “no deal” Brexit than the unconstitutional prorogation?
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    TOPPING said:

kle4 said:

Scott_P said:
    It is being presented in many places as though it were at the least constitutionally murky. The optics are very bad but perhaps it will all add to the drama when he presents the deal.

I would feel this a lot more likely without Cummings skulking around.
    It may or may not be murky, but that's really just a detail when the action to stop him lies with parliament and does not need to rely on the courts agreeing it was murky, and they can wait for confirmation it was murky before hitting home hard with that.
  • Options
    Cicero said:

algarkirk said:

Gabs2 said:

Streeter said:

No EFTA
    No Single Market
    No Customs Union
    No Backstop

the economy,
    the union,
    the constitution
    the monarchy

Utter crap, the Withdrawal Agreement was voted for by most Leave MPs 3 times but rejected by uncompromising die hard Remainers and Corbyn, despite the fact the political declaration was non binding.

Diehard Remainers and Labour deserve the humiliation of No Deal followed by Boris majority (even if I still back an amended Withdrawal Agreement) for their refusal to respect the Leave vote.
  • Options
    spudgfsh said:

algarkirk said:

dr_spyn said:

Scott_P said:
    In order for that to happen it needs to happen very quickly and they don't have the leader who can command the confidence of the house. What I suspect BJ to do with a VoNC is to hold out for two weeks and make election day the same a B-Day. then he gets his no-deal and the election on the same day, it'd work as a strategy to get leavers to vote for him.
    If there is not an identified new PM there won’t be a VONC, if there is then Johnson can’t hang on he has to go.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

AndyJS said:

Yes they should - though of course that might result in Boris getting the backing for no deal in a GE which most of those upset at him want to avoid. Not guaranteed of course, I don't think he'd definitely do well, but if they want to stick it to him by ensuring we do not no deal, then passing a deal is the way to go rather than no confidence him, not agree on someone else, and trigger a GE.
    Maybe it's time for voters to decide once again, in a general election.
  • Options

alex. said:

ydoethur said:

spudgfsh said:

dr_spyn said:

Ken is waiting.

He voted for Brexit.

No, but for such an individual who “thought long and hard” and concluded that despite being a supporter of Brexit (with a deal as the referendum advocates promised) the risk of no deal was too great and voted against triggering - would you have 3 years down the line characterised them as a “remainer”, if events continued as they have?

• Options
    nichomar said:

spudgfsh said:

algarkirk said:

dr_spyn said:

Scott_P said:
    If there is not an identified new PM there won’t be a VONC, if there is then Johnson can’t hang on he has to go.
    If there is no VoNC he'll just hang on anyway and get no-deal.
  • Options
    CiceroCicero Posts: 2,298

Scott_P said:
    Yeah but the killer image will be Johnson with his pants on fire... Childish nonsense of course, but the cartoon image of the Tories will hit home harder.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    edited August 2019
    nichomar said:

Ishmael_Z said:

nichomar said:

Cicero said:

algarkirk said:

Gabs2 said:

Streeter said:

No EFTA
    No Single Market
    No Customs Union
    No Backstop

the economy,
    the union,
    the constitution
    the monarchy

In 2020 new regulations come into force that requires EU citizens to declare their worldwide wealth and income, failure to do so would be a criminal offense. Therefore if you are, for example an MEP with very large offshore investments you would not be very keen to have to declare that, currently, tax free income. That is why they are so desperate to get the U.K. out before these regulations come into force.
    Sounds a bit batshit to me. If they haven't been declaring this money to HMRC why wouldn't they just not declare it to the EU as well?
This discussion has been closed.