Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Clarke’s TANDA – what about all the other positions?

1235»

Comments

• Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341

It shouldn't be forgotten that much of England's play today was immaturely inept with multiple wickets given away.

It will be
  • Options

So - who do we reckon was man of the match?

My pick is jason roy.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

No Deal is happening. Johnson needs it to happen. He has no choice. The interesting bit is what happens then. We’ll all be less free, as will all UK businesses, and we’ll be entirely reliant on the goodwill of others with regards to trade, so will have less control than now. And it looks like we’ll be testing that goodwill by withholding payment of the £39 billion. Johnson clearly believes he needs constant conflict in order to stay on as PM. But will that be politically sustainable if No Deal does start to bite?

As has been said before, a good portion of the 39bn (I think about 15bn but I could be misremembering) is to pay for a transition phase. If there's no transitation phase, could you explain why you feel we should pay for one?

As per my exchange with Charles, winning the battle for public opinion in the UK is one thing, but once we have left with No Deal we will be entirely reliant on the goodwill of others to continue to trade internationally on anything resembling the way we do now. If they believe they are owed money that is a problem. This is the reality of giving up control.

They’ve acknowledged the split includes 2 years of contributions to the EU budget while we are in transition.

Do you really think they are owed that for nothing?
  • Options
    Gabs2Gabs2 Posts: 1,268
    HYUFD said:

Gabs2 said:

HYUFD said:

Gabs2 said:

HYUFD said:

Gabs2 said:

Floater said:

Maybe it is just me. But I rather suspect that all this talk of a US trade deal is not doing the Conservatives any favours apart from in a tiny % of the voters who are wildly atlantist and like John Redwood's economics.

I think most voters are turned off by the thought of us dealing with Trump.
    I think most of us realise the USA is not just Trump
    Would Trump even sign any trade deals? Judging by the polling he only has 16 months left in power and 2 of those would be as a lame duck.
    Only against Biden do polls clearly show Trump losing, Warren for example polls no better than Hillary did against Trump at best
    https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2020/president/us/general_election_trump_vs_warren-6251.html
    ABC has it tied, Emerson has it tied and CNN has Trump beating Warren in the popular vote.
    Yes and eight other polls have Warren ahead, some by up to seven points. She is also ahead in Pennsylvania, Michigan and Wisconsin, Democrats are going to be motivated to turnout and the economy ia deteriorating due to a trade war associated closely with Trump.
    No, Warren is not ahead in Pennstylvania or Michigan, as I posted earlier Trump beats Warren in the latest poll in both those key swing states.

http://firehousestrategies.com/june-2020-survey/

The economy is still doing OK and Trump voters are also motivated to turn out
    A dodgy polling company not even rated by 538.
  • Options

It shouldn't be forgotten that much of England's play today was immaturely inept with multiple wickets given away.

They could learn a lot from jack leech.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,983

Serious answer: Stokes

Amusing answer Tim Paine or Joel Wilson
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Serious answer: Stokes

Amusing answer Tim Paine or Joel Wilson
    Well tim paine will be back to vice captain next game ;-)
  • Options
    I have a feeling its a good job its a bank holiday tomorrow as a lot of people are going to need the 24hrs to sleep off the hangover.
  • Options
    Do we know if TSE went to Headingley today ?
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,062

Be funny if he gave away his ticket
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    One thing that puzzles me is the fashion for throwing balls in on the bounce. It looks like it was the awkward bounce that caused Lyon to drop the ball with the run out attempt. He probably would have gathered a direct throw.
  • Options
    Stokes SPOTY nailed on.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    malcolmg said:

Be funny if he gave away his ticket
    And his Old Trafford ones which were going for a fiver
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,291
    edited August 2019
    The question is can we pick anderson for the next test? Because that means a proper batting rabbit added to the lineup.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,312
    ☺☺☺☺☺☺

That just wasn't cricket.

Or was it?
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

I bet you're fun at parties.

REJOICE!!!!!
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,196
    Does Leach have a sponsorship deal with Specsavers? If he doesn’t, they should sign him up.
  • Options

The question is can we pick anderson for the next test? Because that means a proper batting rabbit added to the lineup.

Well you have to pick Stokes and Archer. So it's two of Broad Woakes and Anderson
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,291
    edited August 2019
    Pulpstar said:

Well you have to pick Stokes and Archer. So it's two of Broad Woakes and Anderson
    Woakes has so far been very poor, but he can bat.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

REJOICE!!!!!
    England won a match not the series.

If Australia win the series then today will be forgotten.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

No Deal is happening. Johnson needs it to happen. He has no choice. The interesting bit is what happens then. We’ll all be less free, as will all UK businesses, and we’ll be entirely reliant on the goodwill of others with regards to trade, so will have less control than now. And it looks like we’ll be testing that goodwill by withholding payment of the £39 billion. Johnson clearly believes he needs constant conflict in order to stay on as PM. But will that be politically sustainable if No Deal does start to bite?

Why would we pay the £30bn or so for the transition period budget contribution if there is no transition period?

The government was on the news this morning saying that of course they would pay their legal obligations which they estimated at £7-9bn.

Winning the battle of public opinion in the UK is one thing, Charles. But in a post No Deal Brexit world we are going to be heavily reliant on the goodwill of those who do not believe the UK only owes £7bn-£9bn. And public opinion in the UK is of absolutely no interest to them.

Let’s keep it simple.

Why should we pay £14.5bn a year (IIRC) for a transition period?
    Depends how ready the UK as a whole is for No Deal at the end of October. Would two years to sort out new trading relationships and get the systems in place save the country more than 30 billion pounds? I don't know. But the value of that is non-zero.
    I have no problem paying £30bn for two years transition (assuming it’s worth it).

But that’s not what SO was suggesting

I am not suggesting anything. I am observing. If the EU27 view the £39bn as money the UK is liable to pay, then not paying it becomes a problem when we need their goodwill following a No Deal Brexit. Clearly, the Johnson government believes it can be managed. We shall see.

Why don’t you google and see how the EU has described the payments? Would make life a lot easier for us all!
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,127
    edited August 2019

Pulpstar said:

Can he bat when under pressure ?

We know Sam Curran can.
  • Options

Ishmael_Z said:

REJOICE!!!!!

I think England have a strong psychological edge now. I'd fancy Hazelwood to knock out Anthony Joshua right if they had a fight now tho lol
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Can he beat when under pressure ?

We know Sam Curran can.
    If sam curran was 5mph quicker i would have him in the team straight away. He has balls that lad, but he isnt isnt quick enough bowler for test cricket.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    At this moment, spare a thought for poor @Cyclefree.

It was far from the best team performance ever. But that must be one of the greatest ever individual performances in test cricket.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

Ishmael_Z said:

REJOICE!!!!!

Really fun.
  • Options

You sound like the sort of person who whenever the glories of an open bordered country are mentioned starts moaning about 'Roma in Rotherham'.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,925
    Is there some kind of cricket match going on?
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

You sound like the sort of person who whenever the glories of an open bordered country are mentioned starts moaning about 'Roma in Rotherham'.
    I'm reality based.

The world needs more of us.
  • Options
    This thread is over like the SPOTY race.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137
    viewcode said:

Is there some kind of cricket match going on?

No.

There was, but nothing to see now. Move along.....
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985
    New thread
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

Ishmael_Z said:

REJOICE!!!!!

Really fun.
    Who now remembers the great achievements of Phil Tufnell, Dean Headley and Mark Butcher against Australia ?

And why aren't they remembered ?

Because they won a match not a series.
  • Options

Ishmael_Z said:

Ishmael_Z said:

REJOICE!!!!!

Really fun.
    Who now remembers the great achievements of Phil Tufnell, Dean Headley and Mark Butcher against Australia ?

Tufnell 7/66 as England win by 19 runs:

https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/16057/scorecard/63759/england-vs-australia-6th-test-australia-tour-of-england-and-scotland-1997

Headley 6/60 as England win by 12 runs:

https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/15883/scorecard/63817/australia-vs-england-4th-test-england-tour-of-australia-1998-99

Butcher 173no as England chase down 315:

https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/15533/scorecard/63939/england-vs-australia-4th-test-australia-tour-of-england-and-ireland-2001
  • Options

It was far from the best team performance ever. But that must be one of the greatest ever individual performances in test cricket.

Ishmael_Z said:

Ishmael_Z said:

REJOICE!!!!!

Really fun.

Doesn't matter how this ends up - Stokes, and Stokes alone deserves SPOTY and a knighthood
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Ishmael_Z said:

REJOICE!!!!!

Really fun.

Doesn't matter how this ends up - Stokes, and Stokes alone deserves SPOTY and a knighthood
    And even if the Aussies retain the Ashes [and we can still hope], we won the World Cup already.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

SPOTY is one thing but Stokes' achievement should not be demeaned with a knighthood.
This discussion has been closed.