Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Clarke’s TANDA – what about all the other positions?

Comments

• Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,358

Floater said:

I see Labour have postponed plans for a VONC

They had a plan?

Could’ve fooled me. To the extent Corbyn has a plan, it’s to allow Brexit to happen. A VoNC risks that and he will never table one.
    He's tabled one already. Didn't work.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,954
    Foxy said:

kle4 said:

Can't remember where Sked resides in the current pantheon of EUrophobic Saints, but isn't the standard patter that it's the EU not Europe that's the problem? Perhaps Skeddy's just being honest.

https://twitter.com/profsked/status/1164574612488937478?s=20

Both those for and against the EU frequently conflate the terms EU and Europe as convenient.
    It is convenient shorthand. On 1 November the only countries in Europe not in the EU, or applying for membership, or in the Single Market via EEA are UK, Belarus and Russia.
    You've made it seem less than convenient shorthand, since it is not convenient shorthand for 'in the EU or wanting to be in the EU' since you've included the Single Market lot too.
  • Options
    And Boris is like 'Are you mad, I might not be in office in a year?!'
  • Options
    nichomar said:
    I grant it is not something I have ever had to do, but surely it cannot be hard to find good advice on how to register these things correctly, in which case the 'being stupid' defence becomes a lot less valid.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Poor old Phil Hammond - he isn’t enjoying being irrelevant.

When the government has a tiny majority, no MP is irrelevant - least of all one who also speaks for other MPs.

• Options

Floater said:

They had a plan?

Could’ve fooled me. To the extent Corbyn has a plan, it’s to allow Brexit to happen. A VoNC risks that and he will never table one.
    Are you of the view that other failed attempts would be a tactical mistake? I don't really see the harm myself - it shows he is trying to stop a no deal government, puts other parties that oppose no deal and the Tory remainiac rebels on the spot to see how often they are going to reject one way of stopping no deal - backing a Corbyn premiership, however temporarily.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,776
    Damn, Lyon is good.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

While Trump will be in the midst of a bitterly fought Presidential election, with a Democrat controlled House which has to approve any deal and may be disinclined to offer him a "win".
  • Options

kle4 said:

While Trump will be in the midst of a bitterly fought Presidential election, with a Democrat controlled House which has to approve any deal and may be disinclined to offer him a "win".
    Come now, it will not be bitter at all, just a dignified contest between two opponents respectful of the other.
  • Options
    A small betting post: there's a market on "Next Cabinet Minister out" here

https://www.betfair.com/exchange/plus/politics/market/1.161008669

and Johnson is odds-on. This seems to me an obvious lay - out of the dozens of Cabinet members, there is almost bound to be one who resigns over something or other befoie Boris gives up.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    kle4 said:

TGOHF said:

He'll only be irrelevant if and when he is proved wrong.
    He’s as relevant as Heseltine.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

nichomar said:
    I grant it is not something I have ever had to do, but surely it cannot be hard to find good advice on how to register these things correctly, in which case the 'being stupid' defence becomes a lot less valid.
    If the report is accurate, it is very difficult to see how this was not deliberate.
    Though naturally that does not rule out his being utterly stupid into the bargain.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

Opinium in the Observer (buried at the bottom of their Brexit survey):

Overall the Conservatives have opened up a six-point lead over Labour, gaining one point in two weeks ago to stand on 32%, while Labour is down two points on 26% and the Brexit party unchanged on 16%. The Liberal Democrats are on 15%, the SNP 5%, the Greens on 4%, and Plaid Cymru and Ukip on 1%.

Like the other polls though with methodological differences that we've debated, this shows:

* the Johnson bounce continuing, but at a slower rate
    * the Brexit Party vote holding up despite zero publicity
    * Labour ahead of the LibDems

We're all familiar with the various implications: suffice it to say that I don't think an election is without risk for Johnson.

Electoral Calculus gives a Tory majority of 30 on those Opinium numbers, Tories 340, Labour 222, LDs 30

https://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/cgi-bin/usercode.py?CON=32&LAB=26&LIB=15&Brexit=16&Green=4&UKIP=1&TVCON=&TVLAB=&TVLIB=&TVBrexit=&TVGreen=&TVUKIP=&SCOTCON=&SCOTLAB=&SCOTLIB=&SCOTBrexit=&SCOTGreen=&SCOTUKIP=&SCOTNAT=&display=AllChanged&regorseat=(none)&boundary=2017base
    Not on the basis of UNS.Opinium shows a pro-Tory swing of 1.75% which would lead to 19 gains from Labour before taking account of first term incumbency - a factor relevant in 13 of the seats concerned.Such gains would be offset by 12 Tory losses to the LDs resulting from a swing of circa 9.5% from the Tories. There would also be likely losses to the SNP.
    If some Labour MPs benefit from first term incumbency so likely would some Tory MPs in Scotland also first elected in 2017
    I do not dispute that at all. However, first term incumbency only tends to be relevant when the swing involved is fairly modest .It would be likely to be overridden by an adverse swing in excess of - say- circa 4%. There have been no Scotland Voting Intention polls for a while so it's not clear where things stand there..
    In more rural Scottish seats with bigger Tory majorities over the SNP it could still be relevant
    Indeed - though in some seats a LibDem recovery might bring them back into contention - eg Berwickshire , Roxburgh & Selkirk. Whilst their support collapsed in 2015, it still has a recent LD history extending back to David Steel.
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    TGOHF said:

kle4 said:

TGOHF said:

Heseltine does not have a vote.

And in any event he was objecting to the PM lying about him, which he might well do even if contemplating a happy retirement.
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    TGOHF said:

kle4 said:

TGOHF said:

Self evidently not true as Hammond has a vote in the Commons and therefore at least the potential to scupper things. Whether he is correct in his assessment or not is one thing, but denying he is a relevant player in all this is just plain nonsense -No.10 is obviously worried about the Commons messing things up, hence wargaming scenarios where they can bypass them. In that situation no matter how wrong Hammond might be, what he does is not just relevant but potentially crucial.

I will never understand the way of thinking that just because someone is wrong, perhaps very wrong, and disliked, perhaps very disliked, therefore they are not 'relevant'. They can still be very involved in a developing situation, even as a wrecker or delayer.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Are you of the view that other failed attempts would be a tactical mistake? I don't really see the harm myself - it shows he is trying to stop a no deal government, puts other parties that oppose no deal and the Tory remainiac rebels on the spot to see how often they are going to reject one way of stopping no deal - backing a Corbyn premiership, however temporarily.
    Yes, I think he needs to try again, but the threat of doing it is a more effective weapon than trying and failing by 20 votes. The attempt to seize the Parliamentary agenda will come soon after September 3 and that probably needs to happen first. Lots of Remainer Tories would rather use Parliamentary means to stop No Deal than actually vote their government out. It's only if it becomes clear that the course of events is irrevocably controlled by the Government that people will take seriously the idea that "in that case, we need to change the Government before they do something mad".
  • Options
    I think we’ll lose, but if the target gets below 100 with these two batting, the Aussies are going to sweat.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,026
    HYUFD said:

Yet the UK and Russia are both big powers in or just outside the top 10 world economies, both in the G20 and both permanent members of the U.N. security council.

Also, both are wedded to a particularly mawkish iteration of retrograde nationalism too and have governments that serve the interests of a wealthy elite to the exclusion of all other considerations.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

kle4 said:

nichomar said:
    If the report is accurate, it is very difficult to see how this was not deliberate.
    Though naturally that does not rule out his being utterly stupid into the bargain.
    Quite, I was just anticipating the usual 'defence' of similar though perhaps less serious 'errors', when they go on about confusing procedures and forgetfulness and the like, which is no defence at all in my book. This one looks another level, it will be interesting to see if they are right.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

HYUFD said:

Yet the UK and Russia are both big powers in or just outside the top 10 world economies, both in the G20 and both permanent members of the U.N. security council.

Also, both are wedded to a particularly mawkish iteration of retrograde nationalism too and have governments that serve the interests of a wealthy elite to the exclusion of all other considerations.
    We are not yet a lawless kleptocracy.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Dura_Ace said:

HYUFD said:

We are not yet a lawless kleptocracy.
    Is that the title of the next Tory Manifesto?:)
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Just noticed that as of going into the match Chris Woakes has a batting average of 30.56 and a bowling average of 30.57, which is pretty neat.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

So when all these pensioners show up are they going to be hopping mad at the lying brexiters who messed up their lives, or are they going to boost Con and BXP because people old people gonna old person

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/pensioners-set-to-swamp-nhs-after-no-deal-brexit-as-260-000-expats-return-from-europe-for-healthcare-h3qhfx0nl?shareToken=aad3d4e65418349062daac792bd2c2a0

Taking France as an example - To live there you need to purchase an insurance policy for your medical costs.

I know this because I was on the point of moving there about 10 years ago.

So, what changes are we talking about here then?
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,391
    Just as @NickP accurately foretold many moons ago re the number of likely Labour rebels, so will there likely only be a handful of Cons rebels. Many who disagree with policy will nevertheless support the government.

The party system is such that ensuring one's own party remains in power will usually always be better than the alternative.
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Floater said:
    Opening sentence:

As the Japanese invasion of Singapore approached in 1942...

Well, I think that says it all (there is actually a point, but really with the WW2 metaphors?)

• Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

Floater said:

They had a plan?

I agree that Corbyn and his inner circle need and want Brexit.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

Overall the Conservatives have opened up a six-point lead over Labour, gaining one point in two weeks ago to stand on 32%, while Labour is down two points on 26% and the Brexit party unchanged on 16%. The Liberal Democrats are on 15%, the SNP 5%, the Greens on 4%, and Plaid Cymru and Ukip on 1%.

Like the other polls though with methodological differences that we've debated, this shows:

We're all familiar with the various implications: suffice it to say that I don't think an election is without risk for Johnson.

Electoral Calculus gives a Tory majority of 30 on those Opinium numbers, Tories 340, Labour 222, LDs 30

https://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/cgi-bin/usercode.py?CON=32&LAB=26&LIB=15&Brexit=16&Green=4&UKIP=1&TVCON=&TVLAB=&TVLIB=&TVBrexit=&TVGreen=&TVUKIP=&SCOTCON=&SCOTLAB=&SCOTLIB=&SCOTBrexit=&SCOTGreen=&SCOTUKIP=&SCOTNAT=&display=AllChanged&regorseat=(none)&boundary=2017base
    Not on the basis of UNS.Opinium shows a pro-Tory swing of 1.75% which would lead to 19 gains from Labour before taking account of first term incumbency - a factor relevant in 13 of the seats concerned.Such gains would be offset by 12 Tory losses to the LDs resulting from a swing of circa 9.5% from the Tories. There would also be likely losses to the SNP.
    If some Labour MPs benefit from first term incumbency so likely would some Tory MPs in Scotland also first elected in 2017
    I do not dispute that at all. However, first term incumbency only tends to be relevant when the swing involved is fairly modest .It would be likely to be overridden by an adverse swing in excess of - say- circa 4%. There have been no Scotland Voting Intention polls for a while so it's not clear where things stand there..
    First term incumbency hardly helped the 20 SNP MPs who lost their seats at GE17
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,115
    Dura_Ace said:

HYUFD said:

Boris may be pro Brexit but he is hardly a Putin style nationalist.

The UK also has a Gini co efficient of 32% compared to 42% for Russia

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_income_equality
  • Options
    Floater said:

Floater said:

They had a plan?

I agree that Corbyn and his inner circle need and want Brexit.
    But they also, at this point, need to look like they tried to stop it, which might well actually end up stopping it. Competing desires and needs.

Rather wish the Cricket didn't stop for lunch now, just as the two guys are set. But if everyone else scores their average, England win - piece of cake, right? Hmm.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,291
    edited August 2019
    Nigelb said:

I think we’ll lose, but if the target gets below 100 with these two batting, the Aussies are going to sweat.

Cricviz bonkers model now has England favourites (58%)...its the hope that kills you.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

In more rural Scottish seats with bigger Tory majorities over the SNP it could still be relevant
    Indeed - though in some seats a LibDem recovery might bring them back into contention - eg Berwickshire , Roxburgh & Selkirk. Whilst their support collapsed in 2015, it still has a recent LD history extending back to David Steel.
    The LDs are too far back now I think there, though they might pick up Fife North East from the SNP.

I think the Liberals are the only Unionist party with a chance of gaining SNP seats at the moment rather thsn losing some to the Nationalists
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,924
    Charles said:

Pulpstar said:

Clarke is in the red column for me in the next PM market. Corbyn is wrong about most things, but on getting next dibs to be PM I think he has every right to expect to be next in line after Johnson.
    If not Corbyn, GE.

The most likely scenario at present is that Parliament votes for a law banning No Deal in September, and demanding another extension.

Johnson will then do his best to ignore it, and I don't know what happens then.
    How do they vote for a law like this if the Executive doesn’t introduce a bill?
    BEFORE 2016
    Leavers: "Unlike the UK Parliament, the European Parliament does not have the power of legislative initiative. This is undemocratic. We must leave the EU!!"

AFTER 2016
    Leavers: "The UK Parliament cannot and must not initiate legislation to prevent a No Deal. This is undemocratic. We must leave the EU!!"

• Options

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

First term incumbency hardly helped the 20 SNP MPs who lost their seats at GE17
    That does not follow. Had they not been first term incumbents the margin by which they were defeated would likely have been greater. The factor is quite well established as exemplified by the Tories hanging on to marginals in 2015 which on the basis of the small pro-Labour swing in England would have been lost. Even in 2017 with a more significant swing to Labour, the Tories benefitted in seats gained from Labour two years earlier such as Telford and Morley& Outwood.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Charles said:

Pulpstar said:

Clarke is in the red column for me in the next PM market. Corbyn is wrong about most things, but on getting next dibs to be PM I think he has every right to expect to be next in line after Johnson.
    If not Corbyn, GE.

The most likely scenario at present is that Parliament votes for a law banning No Deal in September, and demanding another extension.

BEFORE 2016
    Leavers: "Unlike the UK Parliament, the European Parliament does not have the power of legislative initiative. This is undemocratic. We must leave the EU!!"

AFTER 2016
    Leavers: "The UK Parliament cannot and must not initiate legislation to prevent a No Deal. This is undemocratic. We must leave the EU!!"

UK Parliament has always had private members bills etc, there's a big difference between a private members bill and ramming through a bill that does the polar opposite of the government's flagship policy.

If the government's flagship policy is wrong don't run a wrecking bill through, change the government.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Cricviz bonkers model now has England favourites (58%)...its the hope that kills you.
    I refuse to be optimistic.
    The lunch break is likely to distract them, and they’ll lose a quick couple of wickets on resumption.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,311

They had a plan?

This - "Corbyn wants No Deal" along with "Labour's Brexit position is unintelligible fudge" - has become something that people just say as a substitute for thinking seriously about the issue at hand.

It reminds me of "Lampard and Gerrard can't play together" or "People are more friendly up north."

Of course they could - and are they bollox - but once something becomes an old chestnut it is next to impossible to kill it off.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

They had a plan?

This - "Corbyn wants No Deal" along with "Labour's Brexit position is unintelligible fudge" - has become something that people just say as a substitute for thinking seriously about the issue at hand.

It reminds me of "Lampard and Gerrard can't play together" or "People are more friendly up north."

Of course they could - and are they bollox - but once something becomes an old chestnut it is next to impossible to kill it off.
    Well they couldn't play together and people are...
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,676
    HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

Overall the Conservatives have opened up a six-point lead over Labour, gaining one point in two weeks ago to stand on 32%, while Labour is down two points on 26% and the Brexit party unchanged on 16%. The Liberal Democrats are on 15%, the SNP 5%, the Greens on 4%, and Plaid Cymru and Ukip

The LDs are too far back now I think there, though they might pick up Fife North East from the SNP.

I think the Liberals are the only Unionist party with a chance of gaining SNP seats at the moment rather thsn losing some to the Nationalists
    I like the notion that LibDems in southwest London consider themselves to be members of a Unionist party.

Might have more traction down in Cornwall where they are fighting hard against MK.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

6 wickets in hand, need 121 runs on what is essentially a third inning pitch.

Refuse to count chickens yet next session is critical.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,509
    Dura_Ace said:

HYUFD said:

Which thankfully will be wholly responsibile for their own legislative programmes, and can be sacked about every 5 years. Brexit is wonderful. Democracy is wonderful.
  • Options

:-)

Point proven.
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    kinabalu said:

:-)

Point proven.
    From the cricket...friendly..proven fact.

Just near to the dressing rooms, a steward climbs the stairs of the stand. "There's only one Brian Potter," sing the crowd. He does like a bit like him. And Keith Lard.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

I live in BRS, and the LDs do not appear to be very active on the ground. They finished 4th in the Europeans in the Scottish Borders, so I wouldn't be optimistic of a revival any time soon. NE Fife is probably more winnable for them.
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679

Dura_Ace said:

HYUFD said:

Which thankfully will be wholly responsibile for their own legislative programmes, and can be sacked about every 5 years. Brexit is wonderful. Democracy is wonderful.
    Do you really think we'd be doing Brexit if the elite thought it threatened their interests?
  • Options

viewcode said:

Charles said:

Pulpstar said:

If not Corbyn, GE.

BEFORE 2016

AFTER 2016

UK Parliament has always had private members bills etc, there's a big difference between a private members bill and ramming through a bill that does the polar opposite of the government's flagship policy.

If the government's flagship policy is wrong don't run a wrecking bill through, change the government.
    There has to be a word for that technique, where I say A is different to B, and somebody responds by saying "Ah, but (subset of A) is different from (other subset of A)". Whist true, it doesn't contradict the original statement.
  • Options
    edited August 2019

HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

Overall the Conservatives have opened up a six-point lead over Labour, gaining one point in two weeks ago to stand on 32%, while Labour is down two points on 26% and the Brexit party unchanged on 16%. The Liberal Democrats are on 15%, the SNP 5%, the Greens on 4%, and Plaid Cymru and Ukip

I do not dispute that at all. However, first term incumbency only ere..

I like the notion that LibDems in southwest London consider themselves to be members of a Unionist party.

Might have more traction down in Cornwall where they are fighting hard against MK.
    The LDs are fighting the next general election on a pro EU and pro UK platform taking on Boris and Sturgeon (and maybe MK too) while offering a more centrist alternative to Corbyn Labour
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,509

Dura_Ace said:

HYUFD said:

Do you really think we'd be doing Brexit if the elite thought it threatened their interests?
    Yep. Because after the vote, not doing it would be worse.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

viewcode said:

Charles said:

Pulpstar said:

If not Corbyn, GE.

BEFORE 2016

AFTER 2016

There has to be a word for that technique, where I say A is different to B, and somebody responds by saying "Ah, but (subset of A) is different from (other subset of A)". Whist true, it doesn't contradict the original statement.
    It's called the PB shuffle.
  • Options

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

I live in BRS, and the LDs do not appear to be very active on the ground. They finished 4th in the Europeans in the Scottish Borders, so I wouldn't be optimistic of a revival any time soon. NE Fife is probably more winnable for them.
    Fife NE was also Ming Campbell's old seat
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,026
    HYUFD said:

No, he doesn't have Putin's ruthlessness or determination for a start, but they are both prancing and belled bacha bazi serving at the pleasure of capital.
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143

Charles said:

Charles said:

No Deal is happening. Johnson needs it to happen. He has no choice. The interesting bit is what happens then. We’ll all be less free, as will all UK businesses, and we’ll be entirely reliant on the goodwill of others with regards to trade, so will have less control than now. And it looks like we’ll be testing that goodwill by withholding payment of the £39 billion. Johnson clearly believes he needs constant conflict in order to stay on as PM. But will that be politically sustainable if No Deal does start to bite?

Why would we pay the £30bn or so for the transition period budget contribution if there is no transition period?

The government was on the news this morning saying that of course they would pay their legal obligations which they estimated at £7-9bn.

Winning the battle of public opinion in the UK is one thing, Charles. But in a post No Deal Brexit world we are going to be heavily reliant on the goodwill of those who do not believe the UK only owes £7bn-£9bn. And public opinion in the UK is of absolutely no interest to them.

Let’s keep it simple.

Why should we pay £14.5bn a year (IIRC) for a transition period?
    OK. No FTA then. Oh, I forgot. They need us more than we need them.
    Oh, so you are seriously suggesting we literally pay tens of billions for something we are demonstrably not getting. Any other remainers agree?
    Most of the payments were business-as-usual payments as we would be essentially still a member. I think if we crash out then we don't pay them - though perhaps it's one for the lawyers to argue over whether we committed to paying for the whole budget period to the end of 2020. That isn't clear because it's not a scenario that's been anticipated.

There are some other bits of money, for pensions and some specific commitments, where we have a legal obligation to settle our debts, and we should pay those bits no question.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    Sir Alan Duncan reactivates twitter account in advance of announcements!
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

HYUFD said:

No, he doesn't have Putin's ruthlessness or determination for a start, but they are both prancing and belled bacha bazi serving at the pleasure of capital.
    "belled bacha bazi"

Oh, thanks a bunch. How the hell do I get that out of my search history?

• Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146

HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

Lib Dems in SW London might be unenthusiastic about the Union, but Lib Dems in SW Edinburgh tend to have strong Brit Nat tendencies.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,770
    kle4 said:

Floater said:
    Opening sentence:

As the Japanese invasion of Singapore approached in 1942...

Well, I think that says it all (there is actually a point, but really with the WW2 metaphors?)

Apart from the observation that Johnson is not obviously less General Percival than May, and probably more so given his optimism schtick, so what? The British failure in Singapore is no blueprint for a successful Brexit execution
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,238
    HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

Which SCon MPs' first term performances do you think will aid their re-election attempts?
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,291
    nichomar said:

explain?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137
    Bairstow reviews....

Bairstow survives!
  • Options
    Shocking from umpire
  • Options
    edited August 2019

Shocking from umpire

AGAIN....

That is the sixth decision that Chris Gaffaney has had overturned.
  • Options

nichomar said:

explain?
    He dislikes Boris with a passion
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    edited August 2019

Dura_Ace said:

HYUFD said:

Don't be daft. Either the elite includes the chairmen of at least 75% of the chairmen of the ftse 100 companies or it isn't very elite. How many of them do you think want Brexit to happen?
  • Options

nichomar said:

explain?
    It will become interesting if Duncan, Philip Lee and Gutto Bebb resign the Tory Whip.
  • Options
    bollocks!
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,770
    The money will only be signed off on agreement. Raising it as an issue when negotiations get stuck has an audience in the UK but is counterproductive if you actually want an agreement. It gets in the way of discussing anything else.

Ultimately the money gets sorted out as "full and final settlement" for the separation.
  • Options
    Its the hope that kills you...
  • Options
    I said there was too much optimism...
  • Options
    justin124 said:

nichomar said:

explain?
    It will become interesting if Duncan, Philip Lee and Gutto Bebb resign the Tory Whip.
    Wont make any difference with the way all parties are all over the place. Furthermore not one of them will support Corbyn under any circumstances
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,062

HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

Which SCon MPs' first term performances do you think will aid their re-election attempts?
    I would struggle to name one other than touchy feely
  • Options

nichomar said:

explain?
    Just mentioning a tweet i saw wondering what it could mean
  • Options
    edited August 2019

justin124 said:

nichomar said:

explain?
    Wont make any difference with the way all parties are all over the place. Furthermore not one of them will support Corbyn under any circumstances
    Maybe - maybe not. Gutto Bebb has not ruled out supporting Corbyn. If Lee joins the LDs as rumoured, I imagine he will be bound by their Whip. No idea what Duncan's intentions are , but he was encouraging a Confidence Vote before Johnson took over.Were these three to depart, the Tories - including Elphicke - would be down to 309 MPs.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

justin124 said:

nichomar said:

explain?
    Maybe - maybe not. Gutto Bebb has not ruled out supporting Corbyn. If Lee joins the LDs as rumoured, I imagine he will be bound by their Whip. No idea what Duncan's intentions are , but he was encouraging a Confidence Vote before Johnson took over.Were these three to depart, the Tories - including Elphicke - would be down to 309 MPs.
    I pick up vibes that some of the Bracknell Lib Dems don’t want him but I’m sure that’s the case in 99% of defections.
  • Options
    Inexcusable to be run out in this situation.
  • Options
    Thrown that wicket away
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited August 2019
    What on earth are England playing at. They seem to have lost their calm during the lunch break.
  • Options
    Its a good job England bat deep....
  • Options
    edited August 2019

HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

Alister Jack, John Lamont, Andrew Bowie to name a few
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Going to need something special from Woakes and Archer with the bat now.

If only they could have got it to 50-60 needed with still those to come in.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

What on earth are England playing at. They seem to have lost their calm during the lunch break.

As predicted...
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Can someone from the Englnd dressing room just present the Aussies with the Ashes, wrapped in a bow? Then we can all get on with life......
  • Options

Inexcusable to be run out in this situation.

Stokes did call for the run, and then changed his mind.
    Mix up, and a piece of brilliant fielding, rather than a complete howler.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Getting run out when you have a day and a half to bat is ridiculous.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,978
    At this point Stokes SPOTY-Aus ashes is an arb
  • Options
    Finding myself really rooting for England here.

Wanting to see this win almost as much as a long overdue tilting of the Thatcher Blair consensus in favour of working people.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,062
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

Apart from when Jack was appointed Scottish secretary , I had not even heard of him, never heard of Bowie and have not heard Lamont since election. They are all invisible apart from touchy feely who was in the news for all the wrong reasons.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Getting run out when you have a day and a half to bat is ridiculous.

Mistakes tend to happen after a partnership is broken. New batsman, pumped full of adrenalin, and man at the wicket has just had his concentration jolted.

Coming off the back of a one day series, such things have an inevitability about them. The players’ instincts are developed towards the one day game, not the long form, and mistakes will happen.

It’s why I never believed England were likely to pull this off.
    Creditable that they showed some fight after the first innings debacle.
  • Options
    Target now in double figures....
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Nah, gonna be Archer scoring the winning runs....
  • Options
    Trump becomes yet more erratic, if such a thing is possible:
    https://www.politico.com/story/2019/08/25/donald-trump-china-trade-war-1474382
  • Options
    Can't be common for the fourth innings to be the highest of the match?
  • Options

Can't be common for the fourth innings to be the highest of the match?

What is the record for a fourth innings score as a multiple of the second ?
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

I don't fancy it if he has to try and bat for a long time. He seems very much all or bust.
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    kinabalu said:

Finding myself really rooting for England here.

Wanting to see this win almost as much as a long overdue tilting of the Thatcher Blair consensus in favour of working people.

Including delivering the Brexit working class people voted for then and ending free movement?
  • Options
    Throwing wickets away
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

Apart from when Jack was appointed Scottish secretary , I had not even heard of him, never heard of Bowie and have not heard Lamont since election. They are all invisible apart from touchy feely who was in the news for all the wrong reasons.
    They are visible in their constituencies
  • Options
    Here comes Archer. 100 partnership coming up...
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

I don't fancy it if he has to try and bat for a long time...
    Either that, or he’s going to have to score a lot of runs quickly.
  • Options
    Broad and Leach aren’t the worst ever 10 and 11...
  • Options
    This has, just has, to be a thing...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Btb8gLy3-E
This discussion has been closed.