Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Clarke’s TANDA – what about all the other positions?

Comments

• Options
    I have a feeling Cricviz doesn't have England at 60% anymore.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395

They never should have had them that high.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,039
    edited August 2019
    As my wife says, very exciting, but very slow!

Edit, cricket, I mean!
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,291
    edited August 2019
    AndyJS said:

They never should have had them that high.
    Their model is broken...

Three wickets in seven overs has now reduced England's % drastically from 61% to 11%.
  • Options

Edit, cricket, I mean!

England's problem is that they've been playing about twice as fast as they needed to in this innings.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,310
    It's still on. And doing it this way - the hard way - would make it better if happens.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,287
    kinabalu said:

It's still on. And doing it this way - the hard way - would make it better if happens.

You can get a tasty 4.5 then.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137
    AndyJS said:

Edit, cricket, I mean!

England's problem is that they've been playing about twice as fast as they needed to in this innings.
    Just an inabilty to play 5 day cricket.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

Finding myself really rooting for England here.

Wanting to see this win almost as much as a long overdue tilting of the Thatcher Blair consensus in favour of working people.

Including delivering the Brexit working class people voted for then and ending free movement?
    It is possible the voters misdiagnosed the cause of their problems. You will remember in 1665 the polls during the Plague led to moggies being scapegoated, though we now know it was only the cats that were keeping the rats down. The voters will turn again if project fear is right. Boris knows it, which is why he is shaking the magic money tree.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

Opinium in the Observer (buried at the bottom of their Brexit survey):

Overall the Conservatives have opened up a six-point lead over Labour, gaining one point in two weeks ago to stand on 32%, while Labour is down two points on 26% and the Brexit party unchanged on 16%. The Liberal Democrats are on 15%, the SNP 5%, the Greens on 4%, and Plaid Cymru and Ukip on 1%.

Like the other polls though with methodological differences that we've debated, this shows:

* the Johnson bounce continuing, but at a slower rate
    * the Brexit Party vote holding up despite zero publicity
    * Labour ahead of the LibDems

We're all familiar with the various implications: suffice it to say that I don't think an election is without risk for Johnson.

Electoral Calculus gives a Tory majority of 30 on those Opinium numbers, Tories 340, Labour 222, LDs 30

https://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/cgi-bin/usercode.py?CON=32&LAB=26&LIB=15&Brexit=16&Green=4&UKIP=1&TVCON=&TVLAB=&TVLIB=&TVBrexit=&TVGreen=&TVUKIP=&SCOTCON=&SCOTLAB=&SCOTLIB=&SCOTBrexit=&SCOTGreen=&SCOTUKIP=&SCOTNAT=&display=AllChanged&regorseat=(none)&boundary=2017base
    Not on the basis of UNS.Opinium shows a pro-Tory swing of 1.75% which would lead to 19 gains from Labour before taking account of first term incumbency - a factor relevant in 13 of the seats concerned.Such gains would be offset by 12 Tory losses to the LDs resulting from a swing of circa 9.5% from the Tories. There would also be likely losses to the SNP.
    If some Labour MPs benefit from first term incumbency so likely would some Tory MPs in Scotland also first elected in 2017
    Which SCon MPs' first term performances do you think will aid their re-election attempts?
    Alister Jack, John Lamont, Andrew Bowie to name a few
    Apart from when Jack was appointed Scottish secretary , I had not even heard of him, never heard of Bowie and have not heard Lamont since election. They are all invisible apart from touchy feely who was in the news for all the wrong reasons.
    They are visible in their constituencies
    There is no real enthusiasm in the Scottish Tory base for the next general election. The main focus is on the Scottish elections. I would only see Mundell as safe.
  • Options

AndyJS said:

Edit, cricket, I mean!

Our players play far too much of the abbreviated game. It’ll be worse after next year, too.
  • Options

You can get a tasty 4.5 then.

I'm closed out. This is pure emotion now.

Broad is a whiz with the bat sometimes isn't he?

And he's not even in yet.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

Wanting to see this win almost as much as a long overdue tilting of the Thatcher Blair consensus in favour of working people.

Including delivering the Brexit working class people voted for then and ending free movement?
    It is possible the voters misdiagnosed the cause of their problems. You will remember in 1665 the polls during the Plague led to moggies being scapegoated, though we now know it was only the cats that were keeping the rats down. The voters will turn again if project fear is right. Boris knows it, which is why he is shaking the magic money tree.
    Thought it was the French who were blamed. Didn’t some fool confess and go to the gallows?
  • Options
    "The Presidency of Donald Trump Never Gets Any Less Absurd
    By Andrew Sullivan"

http://nymag.com/intelligencer/2019/08/andrew-sullivan-president-trump-never-gets-any-less-absurd.html
  • Options
    Sunil Gavaskar famously scored 36 not out in a 60 overs World Cup match in 1979 IIRC. That was the sort of innings that was needed today.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    kinabalu said:

You were saying?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,106

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

Boris knows the reason Brexit won was to regain sovereignty and greater control of EU immigration, while voters are turning against more austerity, hence he remains committed to deliver Brexit, introduce a points system to replace EU free movement and also increase spending on the NHS and police
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,768
    Scott_P said:

kinabalu said:

You were saying?
    He was never in....
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,954
    viewcode said:

This has, just has, to be a thing...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Btb8gLy3-E

Worked for the President of Ukraine.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

Opinium in the Observer (buried at the bottom of their Brexit survey):

Overall the Conservatives have opened up a six-point lead over Labour, gaining one point in two weeks ago to stand on 32%, while Labour is down two points on 26% and the Brexit party unchanged on 16%. The Liberal Democrats are on 15%, the SNP 5%, the Greens on 4%, and Plaid Cymru and Ukip on 1%.

Like the other polls though with methodological differences that we've debated, this shows:

* the Johnson bounce continuing, but at a slower rate
    * the Brexit Party vote holding up despite zero publicity
    * Labour ahead of the LibDems

We're all familiar with the various implications: suffice it to say that I don't think an election is without risk for Johnson.

Electoral Calculus gives a Tory majority of 30 on those Opinium numbers, Tories 340, Labour 222, LDs 30

https://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/cgi-bin/usercode.py?CON=32&LAB=26&LIB=15&Brexit=16&Green=4&UKIP=1&TVCON=&TVLAB=&TVLIB=&TVBrexit=&TVGreen=&TVUKIP=&SCOTCON=&SCOTLAB=&SCOTLIB=&SCOTBrexit=&SCOTGreen=&SCOTUKIP=&SCOTNAT=&display=AllChanged&regorseat=(none)&boundary=2017base
    Not on the basis of UNS.Opinium shows a pro-Tory swing of s. There would also be likely losses to the SNP.
    If some Labour MPs benefit from first term incumbency so likely would some Tory MPs in Scotland also first elected in 2017
    Which SCon MPs' first term performances do you think will aid their re-election attempts?
    Alister Jack, John Lamont, Andrew Bowie to name a few
    Apart from when Jack was appointed Scottish secretary , I had not even heard of him, never heard of Bowie and have not heard Lamont since election. They are all invisible apart from touchy feely who was in the news for all the wrong reasons.
    They are visible in their constituencies
    There is no real enthusiasm in the Scottish Tory base for the next general election. The main focus is on the Scottish elections. I would only see Mundell as safe.
    The problem with Westminster elections is they are FPTP with no PR like Holyrood elections, so the Tories will always win more MSPs than MPs unless they beat the SNP in the popular vote.

Nevertheless I think they have a good chance of holding rural seats like Roxburgh, Berwickshire and Selkirk and Aberdeenshire West and Kincardine and Dumfries and Galloway as well as Mundell's seat even if they lose more urban and suburban seats they gained in 2017 like Stirling, Aberdeen South and East Renfrewshire
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Sunil Gavaskar famously scored 36 not out in a 60 overs World Cup match in 1979 IIRC. That was the sort of innings that was needed today.

Stokes provided it. Shame about the other end...
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

By Andrew Sullivan"

http://nymag.com/intelligencer/2019/08/andrew-sullivan-president-trump-never-gets-any-less-absurd.html

Excellent stuff. Trump is clearly very ill.

But the most absurd thing is that the leaders of the GOP are not prepared to do anything.

This will end very very very badly, as Steve Bannon has said (and he should know).
  • Options

AndyJS said:

Edit, cricket, I mean!

England’s problem is the top three. If we had even a halfway decent test opening pair, and a respectable number three (perhaps the toughest position in test cricket), the rest of the side would look pretty good, despite a few deficiencies.

No test team is perfect, but without a top three, you don’t even have a test team. The current bowling lineup would perform respectably in any era.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,236

AndyJS said:

By Andrew Sullivan"

But the most absurd thing is that the leaders of the GOP are not prepared to do anything.

This will end very very very badly, as Steve Bannon has said (and he should know).
    Just to clarify, was Bannon predicting a bad ending in the sense that the chaotic horror will provide the sort of new political order he desires?
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

You were saying?

Well he's still not in.

But seriously - this would now be a genuine miracle.

And unlike Errol Brown ... I don't.
  • Options
    Let's make 300 at least....
  • Options
    That'll do!
  • Options
    Reverse sweep for six!
  • Options
    edited August 2019

AndyJS said:

By Andrew Sullivan"

The leaders of the GOP opposed Trump in the 2016 GOP primaries but he won the nomination anyway, like Boris the conservative establishment have never been Trump fans unlike conservative voters
  • Options
    Maybe it is just me. But I rather suspect that all this talk of a US trade deal is not doing the Conservatives any favours apart from in a tiny % of the voters who are wildly atlantist and like John Redwood's economics.

I think most voters are turned off by the thought of us dealing with Trump.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

AndyJS said:

By Andrew Sullivan"

The leaders of the GOP opposed Trump in the 2016 GOP primaries but he won the nomination anyway, like Boris the conservative establishment have never been Trump fans unlike conservative voters
    Yes. But that doesn't matter now. This is national emergency.
  • Options
    If the 25th amendment isn't used in this case then what the bloody hell was the point of it?
  • Options
    Gabs2Gabs2 Posts: 1,268
    Any government of Remainers would likely be in office for six months. They wouldn't just be seeking an extension, they would have to promise a referendum to the EU to do it. Then they would be in office to make sure that referendum goes and is held in a way that favours Remain (votes to EU citizens, 16 year olds etc).
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,085
    Gabs2 said:

Any government of Remainers would likely be in office for six months. They wouldn't just be seeking an extension, they would have to promise a referendum to the EU to do it. Then they would be in office to make sure that referendum goes and is held in a way that favours Remain (votes to EU citizens, 16 year olds etc).

You make that sound like a bad thing.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483

Maybe it is just me. But I rather suspect that all this talk of a US trade deal is not doing the Conservatives any favours apart from in a tiny % of the voters who are wildly atlantist and like John Redwood's economics.

Cleverly done though!
  • Options
    What an end to this test - however it ends!

18 required....
  • Options
    Australia will be favourites until England need about 5 to win.
  • Options
    edited August 2019

According to Yougov 41% of voters think it is possible to have a good relationship with the Trump administration and 41% do not, so pretty even and almost all the former will be Tory or Brexit Party voters and almost all the latter Labour, LD and SNP voters anyway

https://yougov.co.uk/opi/surveys/results#/survey/c049e5a5-a3bf-11e9-bf84-3f0a50eb2d81

67% of British voters also want a trade deal with the USA post Brexit

https://order-order.com/2018/09/18/massive-majorities-favour-us-uk-trade-deal/
  • Options
    England were on BF at 21 an hour ago. Now 2.5
  • Options
    To protect rural Scottish seats and potentially rural English seats the government is going to have to come up with trade barriers to protect its farmers like in Switzerland and Norway. This I expect to see shortly as without them the tortes are lost. The cost will be higher food prices in the shops but this can be explained as part of the nasty EU retaliation.

The bit that gets me most is Boris saying there will be no shortage of medicine. This is just wrong. We voted for change and one of the changes will be the medicines available in the UK and the prices we pay for them. Certain medicines will no longer be sold in the UK either because of the new regulatory regime or the cost benefit ratio. We may well find alternative medicines and in some case buy medicines not allowed in EU. Will the end result be better than where we are. Probably not as big markets tend to get preferential access to medicines and the UK is less than 5% of global demand and falling. We probably rank 5th in the ranking of markets but maybe 6th in near future behind Russia or Brazil.
  • Options

Gabs2 said:

I was being descriptive not normative. People are betting on these things and it seems odd to me that everyone is pretending it would only take a month.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

Gabs2 said:

you think trying to fix an election in a certain way is a good thing?
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

I think most of us realise the USA is not just Trump
  • Options
    Floater said:

Would Trump even sign any trade deals? Judging by the polling he only has 16 months left in power and 2 of those would be as a lame duck.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,195
    Harris just dropped The Ashes.
  • Options
    This is one of the great Test endings of all time.
  • Options
    Stokes is unstoppable.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,922
    Floater said:

Gabs2 said:

I am rather cynical about these things: if you do not fix the election in one way, your opponents will fix the election in another. The classic example of this is the 1979 Scottish Referendum
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Floater said:

Gabs2 said:

I am rather cynical about these things: if you do not fix the election in one way, your opponents will fix the election in another. The classic example of this is the 1979 Scottish Referendum
    This is why all these things should be left to the Electoral Commission.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,922
    Gabs2 said:

It's far too late for that. It could have been done during the Coalition (somebody here spotted that: @HYUFD , @Socrates ?) but it would be difficult to pull off now.
  • Options
    Gabs2 said:

Floater said:

Would Trump even sign any trade deals? Judging by the polling he only has 16 months left in power and 2 of those would be as a lame duck.
    Only against Biden do polls clearly show Trump losing, Warren for example polls no better than Hillary did against Trump at best
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,954
    It's a good clip, though I loved it when it was pointed out to me that you can see a cameraman in jeans and a tshirt in the wide shot.
  • Options
    A single for the tie - would you take it?
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Gabs2 said:

It's far too late for that. It could have been done during the Coalition (somebody here spotted that: @HYUFD , @Socrates ?) but it would be difficult to pull off now.
    I feel like a compromise is needed on the citizenship question. It is nuts that a Sri Lankan here as a temporary student visa can vote but a Pole that has been working and paying taxes for a decade can't.
  • Options
    TWO TO WIN!!!
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,503

TWO TO WIN!!!

Unbelievable.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Gabs2 said:

Floater said:

Only against Biden do polls clearly show Trump losing, Warren for example polls no better than Hillary did against Trump at best
    https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2020/president/us/general_election_trump_vs_warren-6251.html
  • Options
    Lyon drops the Ashes.
  • Options
    The Ashes will be alive going to Old Trafford.
  • Options

This is one of the great Test endings of all time.

It's the greatest I've ever seen.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    Absolutely bloody incredible.
  • Options
    Wow.

Just wow.

Best 1 not out in Test history!

• Options
    edited August 2019
    Its the hope that....oh wait....best test match ever.
  • Options
    Fantastic cricket!
  • Options
    AndyJS said:
    Serves the cheating convicts right.
  • Options
    If the other batsman applied themselves like stokes and leech, it would have been easy.
  • Options

AndyJS said:
    Couldn't have happened to a nicer bunch. What they were doing reviewing that LBW on Leach I'll never know.
  • Options
    Well done England
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,962
    Stokes for sports personality of the year?
  • Options
    Gabs2 said:
    Shane warne apparently checked out his hotel yesterday morning.
  • Options
    kyf_100 said:

Nailed on.
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    First time since 1888 that a team has won a match after getting bowled out for 79 or fewer runs.
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Gabs2 said:

HYUFD said:

Gabs2 said:

Floater said:

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2020/president/us/general_election_trump_vs_warren-6251.html
    ABC has it tied, Emerson has it tied and CNN has Trump beating Warren in the popular vote.

Trump leads Warren 43% to 41% in the latest Michigan poll and 45% to 34% in the latest Pennsylvania poll but Biden beats Trump in both those key swing states in the same poll

http://firehousestrategies.com/june-2020-survey/
  • Options
    Australia had so many opportunities to win that, you have to wonder - did they have some of that 22 on Betfair!?!
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,970
    Absolute garbage top order rescued by the greatest all rounder of the 20th century. I had a tenner on England btw :p
  • Options
    After so many years in sport where the rub of the green hasnt gone England's way / just failed at the final hurdle...the cricket have now used up all that stored karma.
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Exactly 6 weeks since the World Cup Final thriller.
  • Options

AndyJS said:
    I see the bottomless well of English cricket fan gracelessness is still bottomless.
  • Options
    kyf_100 said:

Done and dusted. They may as well hold the TV show tonight.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Gabs2 said:

HYUFD said:

Gabs2 said:

Floater said:

ABC has it tied, Emerson has it tied and CNN has Trump beating Warren in the popular vote.
    Yes and eight other polls have Warren ahead, some by up to seven points. She is also ahead in Pennsylvania, Michigan and Wisconsin, Democrats are going to be motivated to turnout and the economy ia deteriorating due to a trade war associated closely with Trump.
  • Options

AndyJS said:
    I see the bottomless well of English cricket fan gracelessness is still bottomless.
    This particular Australian team are as graceless as they get.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Absolute garbage top order rescued by the greatest all rounder of the 20th century. I had a tenner on England btw :p

:+1: Only the price of pint on for me, but a tasty £15 win.

At one point England were 21 this afternoon.
  • Options

AndyJS said:
    Well done for matching them.
  • Options

Australia had so many opportunities to win that, you have to wonder - did they have some of that 22 on Betfair!?!

If it was Pakistan we'd all be saying it, so it's only fair to raise that. I suspect not, though.
  • Options

:lol:
  • Options
    And next year cricket gets exciting with the 100.
  • Options
    edited August 2019

AndyJS said:
    Well done for matching them.
    Not even close. Warner is a disgusting individual.
  • Options
    ‪If I were Jack Leach this evening I would drink until I could drink no more, having helped an all-time great secure the greatest cricket victory of all time. ‬
  • Options
    Lead front page news on BBC news website.
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Gabs2 said:

HYUFD said:

Gabs2 said:

HYUFD said:

Gabs2 said:

Floater said:

Yes and eight other polls have Warren ahead, some by up to seven points. She is also ahead in Pennsylvania, Michigan and Wisconsin, Democrats are going to be motivated to turnout and the economy ia deteriorating due to a trade war associated closely with Trump.
    No, Warren is not ahead in Pennstylvania or Michigan, as I posted earlier Trump beats Warren in the latest poll in both those key swing states.

http://firehousestrategies.com/june-2020-survey/

The economy is still doing OK and Trump voters are also motivated to turn out
  • Options

‪If I were Jack Leach this evening I would drink until I could drink no more, having helped an all-time great secure the greatest cricket victory of all time. ‬

A stunning performance from both players.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388

Pulpstar said:

:+1: Only the price of pint on for me, but a tasty £15 win.

At one point England were 21 this afternoon.
    I took my tenner.

Which neatly balances out the tenner or so I am underwater on the SPOTY market re Mr Stokes...

Easy come easy go...
  • Options
    It shouldn't be forgotten that much of England's play today was immaturely inept with multiple wickets given away.
  • Options
    So - who do we reckon was man of the match?
  • Options
    Oh well, smith back next test and will be back to usual.

In all seriousness, england need to make changes.
This discussion has been closed.