Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » On what’s currently the biggest UK political betting market pu

12346»

Comments

• Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    Chris said:

rpjs said:

Chris said:

rpjs said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

AndyJS said:

"Video has emerged of a woman appearing to shout homophobic abuse at people on a Pride march.

Wearing a black niqab, she can be heard in the footage posted on social media repeatedly shouting "shame on you" at the crowd, including at a man draped in a rainbow LGBT flag.

She can be heard saying: "God created Adam and Eve, not Adam and Steve. Shame on you, shame on all of you.""

https://news.sky.com/story/footage-shows-woman-in-niqab-shouting-homophobic-abuse-at-pride-march-in-waltham-forest-11772699

An American born-again Christian in a niqab? Strange.
    You do realise that Adam exists in muslim theology as well?
    You think Muslims call his wife Eve????
    Apparently she is known in Arabic as "Hawwa" which is clearly cognate with the Hebrew "Hawwah" from which we get "Eve" via Greek "Heua" and Latin "Eva". She is not mentioned by name in the Koran though, according to Wikipedia, only in a Hadith (a saying of the prophet, recorded after his death).
    Of course it's cognate with Eve - it refers to the same person. It's not Eve, though.
    Right... So when a muslim refers to "God", they don't mean Allah?
    Sorry, we're talking about whether "Eve" is the same name as "Hawa" or "Hawwa." It isn't the same name. It's cognate.
    No, we were talking about whether or not the protestor was muslim. You seem to think that she was a christian because she used the English form of the name of the first woman in the Abrahamic mythos.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,763
    I'm feeling nostalgic for the May government. I'll settle for mediocre and dire
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,334
    edited July 2019
    Chris said:

ydoethur said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

AndyJS said:

"Video has emerged of a woman appearing to shout homophobic abuse at people on a Pride march.

Wearing a black niqab, she can be heard in the footage posted on social media repeatedly shouting "shame on you" at the crowd, including at a man draped in a rainbow LGBT flag.

She can be heard saying: "God created Adam and Eve, not Adam and Steve. Shame on you, shame on all of you.""

https://news.sky.com/story/footage-shows-woman-in-niqab-shouting-homophobic-abuse-at-pride-march-in-waltham-forest-11772699

On a slightly more serious note, the Metro quotes a police spokesman as saying:
    "Abusing someone because of their sexual orientation or gender identity is a hate crime."

Is that true? I didn't think we'd quite got to that stage.
    Yes, if it is done in public. It then becomes a breach of the Public Order Act.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/law-and-courts/discrimination/hate-crime/what-are-hate-incidents-and-hate-crime/
    Strangely I looked at precisely that page before I posted. It appears to say that abuse can be a "hate incident," but doesn't list it as a "hate crime."

Edit: It says the Public Order Act outlaws "causing harassment, alarm or distress."
    What was done would constitute harassment.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,136
    rpjs said:

Chris said:

rpjs said:

Chris said:

rpjs said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

AndyJS said:

Apparently she is known in Arabic as "Hawwa" which is clearly cognate with the Hebrew "Hawwah" from which we get "Eve" via Greek "Heua" and Latin "Eva". She is not mentioned by name in the Koran though, according to Wikipedia, only in a Hadith (a saying of the prophet, recorded after his death).
    Of course it's cognate with Eve - it refers to the same person. It's not Eve, though.
    Sorry, we're talking about whether "Eve" is the same name as "Hawa" or "Hawwa." It isn't the same name. It's cognate.
    No, we were talking about whether or not the protestor was muslim. You seem to think that she was a christian because she used the English form of the name of the first woman in the Abrahamic mythos.
    Not just because she used the English form of the name, but also because she used a slogan coined by the American evangelical movement.

The Slackbladder observed that Adam existed in Muslim tradition too, and I pointed out that Eve didn't.
  • Options
    surbiton19surbiton19 Posts: 1,469

Chris said:

eek said:

Cyclefree said:

@Cyclefree, what do you make of Boris's commitment to national infrastructure? I remember you having strong views in this areain discussions below the line.

To be honest, I haven’t followed in detail. So can’t comment on specifics. Sorry. Not avoiding the question. Just don’t feel able to say.
    Let's see.

So far we have scrap the HS2 bit that makes sense (on capacity grounds)
    Build only part of HS3 - the bit between Leeds and Manchester.
    No mention of heathrow and runways...

Have I missed anything else?
    This is all a bit hypothetical if the government doesn't have a majority, doesn't dare hold an election, and faces an existential crisis in 3 months' time.
    I think Boris is pre GE campaigning now and appears to be framing a 'who governs Britain' question ready to launch in the Autumn

It amazes me he is being given six weeks unopposed run at it
    I would not be surprised to discover that Corbyn has gone on holiday to spend all of August in the Masurian Lakes or some such.
    He has made a decision today I believe.

He will not call Boris 'Boris'
    I've been hearing people on the Left giving interviews, where they refer to "Johnson" throughout. Brand Boris clearly sticks in their craw - and shows them up for the po-faced joyless souls they are....
    Well it is not just people on the Left that don't want to fall for the cozy "Boris" bollox. I prefer BoZo as this is not joyless and sums the silly fat oaf. He is a joke, and history will treat him as such.
    For me it is Johnson or BJ.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    FF43 said:

I'd say that a change is as good as a rest, but "mediocre and dire" sums up the latest government nicely.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Chris said:

ydoethur said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

AndyJS said:

"Abusing someone because of their sexual orientation or gender identity is a hate crime."

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/law-and-courts/discrimination/hate-crime/what-are-hate-incidents-and-hate-crime/
    Strangely I looked at precisely that page before I posted. It appears to say that abuse can be a "hate incident," but doesn't list it as a "hate crime."

Edit: It says the Public Order Act outlaws "causing harassment, alarm or distress."
    Obviously that would be for a court to decide. The point is that abuse isn't illegal. Causing harassment, alarm or distress is illegal.
  • Options
    Chris said:

ydoethur said:

Chris said:

ydoethur said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

AndyJS said:

Obviously that would be for a court to decide. The point is that abuse isn't illegal. Causing harassment, alarm or distress is illegal.
    No, abuse is a form of harassment. So I'm not quite sure why you are dodging round this point.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137
    viewcode said:

Tabman said:

I personally hating dealing with people who treat every negotiation as some sort of game that requires a ‘winner’ rather than a quest for common ground.

It's not even good negotiation practice. The best negotiated outcomes are win/win.

Your gripe should be aimed at the EU.
    Youm ean given your failure to renegotiate with the EU and failure to achieve any of the goals Leave set itself post-referendum, we should now blame the EU. "Failing" and "blaming". Hmm. if only somebody had invented a handy three-word phrase for such an approach... :)
    If we had been at this juncture three years ago, you would have had a point.

Three wasted years. Those the words you were thinking of?
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,083
    kinabalu said:

In my calmer moments, I agree with this thread, ie the No Deal talk is bollocks.

https://twitter.com/sime0nstylites/status/1155791621679722496?s=21

I agree with it in all my moments. This is all for show. We will NOT be leaving the European Union on 31 Oct without a Deal. That is a 'not happening' event. I'd bet the farm on it. If I had a farm, I really would. So long as my winnings were paid in hard currency, that is, and not by way of another farm.
    So what's going to happen then?
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,347
    FF43 said:

It's gone from 'nothing has changed' to 'everything has changed'
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,083

Amber and Greg now odds on.... Big move since last night.

Odds on what may I ask
    Love Island
  • Options

Chris said:

Chris said:

eek said:

Cyclefree said:

@Cyclefree, what do you make of Boris's commitment to national infrastructure? I remember you having strong views in this areain discussions below the line.

To be honest, I haven’t followed in detail. So can’t comment on specifics. Sorry. Not avoiding the question. Just don’t feel able to say.
    Let's see.

This is all a bit hypothetical if the government doesn't have a majority, doesn't dare hold an election, and faces an existential crisis in 3 months' time.
    I think Boris is pre GE campaigning now and appears to be framing a 'who governs Britain' question ready to launch in the Autumn

I'm still having trouble fitting this idea of an Autumn election into the fabric of reality, now that the House of Commons has risen.

What are people thinking?

(1) Johnson orchestrates a fake vote of no confidence in his own government immediately after the recess (by my reckoning, by 12 September if he wants to have an election on Brexit Day itself, or by 5 September if he wants it a week earlier), allowing Corbyn the chance to form an alternative government, and obviously handing all the levers of government over to Corbyn as well.

(2) Johnson tries to persuade two thirds of the Commons to vote for an election on 10 October or later, the vote being held by 26 September, which in practice dictates much the same timing as in (1), given that the House will be expected to rise again for the conference season in the middle of the month.

(3) Johnson contrives an election after we leave the EU with no deal on 31 October.

All three of those seem to me to be well within the realms of fantasy. Am I missing something?
    The Guakeward Squad will have to decide if VoNC is the only way to stop No Deal. The date for that decision has to be before the 5th of September - so that the VoNC is tabled on the 5th. Whether Mr Corbyn agrees with that is another matter.
    It is entirely upto Corbyn. Do not hold your breath
    Jeremy Corbyn wants Brexit. Preferably a chaotic one the Tories own. Why should he VONC to stop a No Deal Brexit?
  • Options
    ReggieCideReggieCide Posts: 4,312

Chris said:

eek said:

Cyclefree said:

Let's see.

I would not be surprised to discover that Corbyn has gone on holiday to spend all of August in the Masurian Lakes or some such.
    He has made a decision today I believe.

He will not call Boris 'Boris'
    I've been hearing people on the Left giving interviews, where they refer to "Johnson" throughout. Brand Boris clearly sticks in their craw - and shows them up for the po-faced joyless souls they are....
    Boris Johnson is not the self-constructed cuddly funster 'Boris' therefore I would prefer to refer to him by his genuine name. Similarly Jeremy Corbyn is devoid of any cuddly funster characteristics so I would prefer to refer to him by a name which is in no way reverential. Corbyn fits the bill.
    I think there are other names which fit the bill better, lots of them.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    New Electoral Calculus forecast based on recent polls:

Con 311
    Lab 224
    LD 43
    Green 1
    SNP 50
    PC 3

https://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/homepage.html
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Chris said:

ydoethur said:

Chris said:

ydoethur said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

AndyJS said:

No, abuse is a form of harassment. So I'm not quite sure why you are dodging round this point.
    I'm not "dodging around" it. I'm asking a question about it.

As I said, the website you linked to classified "abuse" as an incident and "harassment" as a crime, which obviously suggests abuse isn't a form of harassment! But maybe that's wrong.

Do you have a better authority for saying abuse is harassment?
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,047
    Fenster said:

rcs1000 said:

Fenster said:

I'm surprised the EU aren't moving faster. You'd think they'd want to get past Brexit and move on to happier things like imposing negative interest rates across the Eurozone.

One year government bond yields are negative for almost every Eurozone country, with the exceptions of Greece and Italy. If you stretch your horizon out to 10 years, you can get an amazing 0.35% per year in Spain, and 0.41% in Portugal.
    !!

Do you agree with some of the black swan economists on Twitter who suggest another banking crisis - particularly in Spain and Italy - is looming? And possibly a danger to the Euro?
    The Spanish have sorted out their banking sector. They've massively reduced the number of banks, and recapitalised those that remain. There's also been a big wave of deleveraging, and the Spanish economy is no longer dependent on borrowing money to spend on imports. (Indeed, staggeringly, Spain is heading for its sixth annual current account surplus.)

Italy has not sorted out its banking sector. Simply, local savings banks were too politically powerful, and lending to prominent local businessmen was too important. The result is that the Italian banking system is in worse state now than in 2010. The numbers involved are not as overwhelming as they were for Ireland and Spain in the Eurozone crisis - but they are very significant considering the Italian government is not without its own problems.

The other problem Italy has is that if Salvini rocks the boat too much, then wealthy Italians will pull the last of their Euros out of local banks, raising their funding costs and screwing the local economy. (Why risk your assets become Lira 2000, when they could be German Euros?) We see this in Target-2 numbers alreadys.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Tonights 6.00pm ITV Wales news headline

'A poll has shown Boris is booming in Wales'

Support for labour is the lowest ever recorded in a Welsh poll
  • Options
    sarissa said:

Cyclefree said:

Chris said:

Icarus said:

From GOV.UK guidance:

Will UK nationals continue to get their State Pension uprated under no deal?

The UK leaving the EU will not affect entitlement to continue receiving the UK State Pension if you live in the EU, and we are committed to uprate across the EU in 2019 to 2020. We would wish to continue uprating pensions beyond that but would take decisions in light of whether, as we would hope and expect, reciprocal arrangements with the EU are in place.

Government looking to penalise UK pensioners in Europe.

Does "beyond that" mean "beyond the current financial year"?

In which case, isn't the answer simply "Not unless other EU countries reciprocate"?
    Why does it need to be reciprocal?
    It seems that reciprocal agreements make it legally binding:

The policy on the up-rating of UK State Pensions paid to recipients living outside the UK is clear and is a long-standing one of successive Governments since WW2. The annual index-linked increases are paid to UK State Pension recipients where there is a legal requirement to do so. For example, where UK State Pension recipients are living within the European Economic Area, Switzerland and Gibraltar or in countries where there is a reciprocal agreement in place that provides for the uprating of the UK State Pension. The Government has no plans to change this policy.
    (HoC answer 10/4/19)

Extending uprating unilaterally could give UK pensioners in countries where it does not apply (e.g. Australia) reason to appeal for similar treatment - and this could cost an extra £600 million and rising each year.
    Luckily we Brits in the US are covered by a reciprocal agreement and get annual uprating.
  • Options
    DadgeDadge Posts: 2,038
    Chris said:

Dadge said:

Chris said:

AndyJS said:

She's a Muslim. Muslims, Christians and Jews share a creation myth.
    Don't worry about it.
    What am I worried about?
  • Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    edited July 2019
    Next GE - Number of Brexit Party seats?

none 6/4
    1-50 6/4
    51-100 8/1
    over 100 4/1

(Shadsy)
  • Options

Odds on what may I ask
    Love Island
    I have never watched any celebrity shows and have no idea who is in them
  • Options
    Chris said:

rpjs said:

Chris said:

rpjs said:

Chris said:

rpjs said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

AndyJS said:

Not just because she used the English form of the name, but also because she used a slogan coined by the American evangelical movement.

The Slackbladder observed that Adam existed in Muslim tradition too, and I pointed out that Eve didn't.
    Except that she does, albeit not named as such in the Koran (which does refer to a female companion to Adam). Or by your argument, "Eve" only exists in English-language Christian traditions, and any other language where the first woman in the Abrahamic tradition happens to be named "Eve".
  • Options
    Chris said:

ydoethur said:

Chris said:

ydoethur said:

Chris said:

ydoethur said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

AndyJS said:

As I said, the website you linked to classified "abuse" as an incident and "harassment" as a crime, which obviously suggests abuse isn't a form of harassment! But maybe that's wrong.

Will the CPS do? They bracket them together:

https://www.cps.gov.uk/verbal-abuse-and-harassment-public
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Con 311
    Lab 224
    LD 43
    Green 1
    SNP 50
    PC 3

That would be hideous as neither Con+DUP nor Lab+LD+SNP could reach a majority.

• Options
    Chris said:

ydoethur said:

Chris said:

ydoethur said:

Chris said:

ydoethur said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

AndyJS said:

OK Probably this does it:
    https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/libertycentral/2010/jun/16/verbal-abuse-law

Using threatening, abusive or insulting language is an offence if it is is done within the hearing of someone likely to be caused harassment, alarm or distress. Or with the intention of causing it. Or with the intention of making someone think violence is going to be used against them or of provoking a violent response.
  • Options
    rpjs said:

Chris said:

rpjs said:

Chris said:

rpjs said:

Chris said:

rpjs said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

AndyJS said:

Except that she does, albeit not named as such in the Koran (which does refer to a female companion to Adam). Or by your argument, "Eve" only exists in English-language Christian traditions, and any other language where the first woman in the Abrahamic tradition happens to be named "Eve".
    I'm talking about the name "Eve," not the person. Sorry if you didn't get that from the previous discussion. Do let me know if you want to go through it a few more times.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Con 311
    Lab 224
    LD 43
    Green 1
    SNP 50
    PC 3

Baxter’s new Scottish prediction:

SNP 50 seats (+15)
    Lib Dems 5 seats (+1)
    Con 3 seats (-10)
    Lab 1 seat (-6)

https://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/area_scot.html
  • Options
    sladeslade Posts: 1,939

slade said:

Just back from a cruise in the Baltic including Hamburg, Copenhagen, Visby, Tallinn, St Petersburg, Kiel, and Gothenburg ( and no patriotic boozing.) What was impressive was how well kept were the streets and friendly the locals(even the Russians). We are just about to throw all that under the Boris bus.

We had members of our Scots family on that cruise

My wife and I did that cruise some years ago. Tallinn is delightful and it was our second visit to St Petersburg but it is an extraordinary city to explore at anytime
    I had three Scots on my table. One was a former senior civil servant. His views on Boris were unrepeatable.
  • Options
    slade said:

slade said:

Just back from a cruise in the Baltic including Hamburg, Copenhagen, Visby, Tallinn, St Petersburg, Kiel, and Gothenburg ( and no patriotic boozing.) What was impressive was how well kept were the streets and friendly the locals(even the Russians). We are just about to throw all that under the Boris bus.

My wife and I did that cruise some years ago. Tallinn is delightful and it was our second visit to St Petersburg but it is an extraordinary city to explore at anytime
    I had three Scots on my table. One was a former senior civil servant. His views on Boris were unrepeatable.
    That does not surprise me
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395

AndyJS said:

Con 311
    Lab 224
    LD 43
    Green 1
    SNP 50
    PC 3

That would be hideous as neither Con+DUP nor Lab+LD+SNP could reach a majority.

The Tories + DUP would be one short of a majority, (assuming Sinn Fein continue not to take their seats). But I assume Lady Sylvia Hermon wouldn't vote in favour of putting Corbyn in Downing Street.
  • Options
    slade said:

slade said:

My mother, sister and niece did that cruise in May. I managed to join them for a day in Copenhagen. They loved it. Hears a lot of positive things about all the destinations, especially Riga and Tallinn.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787

Odds on what may I ask
    Love Island
    Au contraire "Slim" .... remember politics is showbiz for ugly people .... :sunglasses:
  • Options
    Let's hear it for Ethiopia. 350 million trees planted in a day. Respect, guys.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-49151523
  • Options
    JackW said:

Odds on what may I ask
    Love Island
    Au contraire "Slim" .... remember politics is showbiz for ugly people .... :sunglasses:
    Thanks for the 'slim' bit Jack but a way to go to be truely slim
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382

I prefer the Scottish reaction on the BBC news at 6pm.
  • Options
    Yorkcity said:

I prefer the Scottish reaction on the BBC news at 6pm.
    I am sure you do but labour has already lost Scotland and looks like we have a chance of seeing them off in Wales and I do not mind which party or coalition of parties does it

They have been in power far too long and their leader is a pale imitation of Corbyn, who labour should hold responsible for not coming out for remain from day 1 and avoiding the present chaos
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,283
    THIS THREAD IS OVER, IT IS POLLING LIKE WELSH LABOUR
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,062
    ydoethur said:

Inquiry closed into MP filmed grabbing Greenpeace activist

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-49154816

So Mark Field faces no criminal or parliamentary action.

Just the Conservative party internal disciplinary still running.

one law for them and one for the plebs
  • Options
    FlannerFlanner Posts: 408
    JackW said:

Odds on what may I ask
    Love Island
    Wrong way round

Showbiz is politics for the empty-headed
This discussion has been closed.