Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » On what’s currently the biggest UK political betting market pu

Comments

• Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527

"Boris Johnson to live with his partner Carrie Symonds in Downing Street, No 10 confirms" : Guardian

Don't pack too much stuff love, your partner wont be living there long.

Is this a first in terms of shacking up at No 10 - living in sin?
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,596
    edited July 2019

Scott_P said:
    I think I can see a way out for Boris here. Get another extension, but say it's an extension of the process of departure rather the act of staying in. That way Boris can claim he's met his 31 October pledge. It would be audacious, but maybe Boris with all his aplomb and loquacity could pull it off.
    No ifs, no buts.

Do or die.

Boris will be eaten alive by Farage and the ERG if he asks for an extension in any shape or form.
    Everything Boris does makes sense in the light of these factors:

He has to face down the threat from the Brexit party - so there is no choice as to where to pitch the rhetoric.

He has to do differently from TM.

He has to adopt the normal position in negotiation, namely that you are playing poker, something a lot of decent moderate Tories don't seem to get.

He has to deal with an EU which has so far successfully been playing the same poker game that he has now joined.

He has to split the left as far as possible by getting Lib Dems to take votes off Labour, giving him a chance of winning an election, Boris having to face one possibly not of his own timing.

• Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,355
    edited July 2019
    The media and Sky in particular seem to be having a collective nervous breakdown over Boris refusal to deal with the EU without scrapping the WDA. Indeed I am very concerned also, as I stated earlier, but if Boris pulls this off it will be a historic moment

To me Boris and no doubt Cummings are setting up their campaign to cry foul on the HOC, the London media, and vested interests trying to keep the UK hostage and his campaign will be a very divisive anti EU anti wealthy and elite London v ordinary people

It could go either way and I cannot predict how it ends, but by the 31st October something will give.

I would think the most worried politician in Europe just now is Varadkar but there will be others
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,289

slade said:

Just back from a cruise in the Baltic including Hamburg, Copenhagen, Visby, Tallinn, St Petersburg, Kiel, and Gothenburg ( and no patriotic boozing.) What was impressive was how well kept were the streets and friendly the locals(even the Russians). We are just about to throw all that under the Boris bus.

We had members of our Scots family on that cruise

My wife and I did that cruise some years ago. Tallinn is delightful and it was our second visit to St Petersburg but it is an extraordinary city to explore at anytime
    Agreed.

Went to Tallinn, had a great time exploring EML Lembit and the icebreaker. There was an exhibition on Operation Red Trek in 1918-19, about RN helping to clear out German forces and prevent Bolshevik invasion of Estonia. Am a little wiser about where my grandfather was 100 years ago, I now wish I had taken the trouble to ask him about it. Didn't have enough time to explore Tallinn itself.
  • Options
    I would be interesting in thoughts on this: Boris has to play the game of blame transferring, especially with regard to no deal. That's obvious. Why doesn't the EU - completely in accord with the provisions of Article 50 - offer an open ended extension without limit of time so that it is impossible to pretend that the EU has forced us into no deal? Have they missed a trick or are they waiting till later?
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    justin124 said:

"Boris Johnson to live with his partner Carrie Symonds in Downing Street, No 10 confirms" : Guardian

Officially, yes.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,509
    Scott_P said:

Does the PM expect to give that order?

He has already given them orders. First thing he did when appointed.
    Be that as it may, you failed to make the distinction between the working assumption of an organisation, and a personal assumption. I don't think you did this because you're an unintelligent person, I just think you gave very little consideration to the actual content of the tweet before you posted it. Although I am not remotely convinced by your subsequent arguments, I am glad we got to hear from you for a change.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985
    algarkirk said:

I would be interesting in thoughts on this: Boris has to play the game of blame transferring, especially with regard to no deal. That's obvious. Why doesn't the EU - completely in accord with the provisions of Article 50 - offer an open ended extension without limit of time so that it is impossible to pretend that the EU has forced us into no deal? Have they missed a trick or are they waiting till later?

And perhaps during such a period the future trading relationship could be negotiated? This whole situation would have been avoided if not for their beloved sequencing.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

Very judgmental of thousands, even millions of your fellow citizens Justin
  • Options
    RobD said:

algarkirk said:

And perhaps during such a period the future trading relationship could be negotiated? This whole situation would have been avoided if not for their beloved sequencing.
    Good point. Agree.

• Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

Be that as it may, you failed to make the distinction between the working assumption of an organisation, and a personal assumption. I don't think you did this because you're an unintelligent person, I just think you gave very little consideration to the actual content of the tweet before you posted it. Although I am not remotely convinced by your subsequent arguments, I am glad we got to hear from you for a change.

I think you are the only person who read the Tweet and failed to grasp that BoZo and Gove disagreed.

https://twitter.com/politicshome/status/1155842160928808965
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    algarkirk said:

I think they might do that, although it would be legally difficult for them to make a formal offer.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

148grss said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Johnson has got himself into a situation where delivering Brexit on 31st October is not enough. It has to be a No Deal Brexit. If this is an example of the genius of Dominic Cummings it may be that he is not quite the genius we’ve been led to believe he is.

Opinium yesterday had No Deal now the public's most favoured option.

45% of voters back No Deal, 28% of voters want to revoke Article 50 and stay in the EU and just 13% of voters want to extend Article 50 past October until a Brexit Deal is done

https://www.opinium.co.uk/political-polling-24th-july-2019/

Hmmmm ...
    https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/1155554899809247232?s=21
    The report doesn't say what @HYUFD says it does. (See: https://www.opinium.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/Opinium-Political-Report-24th-July-2019.pdf)

45% of people say "Go ahead with Brexit on October 31st even if it means leaving with ‘no deal’".

"Even if it means No Deal" != "No Deal is my preferred option"

Indeed - a few pages on the poll makes clear what the preferred options are. And it's not No Deal. But Johnson has got himself into a place where he has to deliver one or he and the Tories will be done for. But then what happens? It is very, very hard to see how things end well for the.

Boris is heading for a 4th consecutive Tory government, something achieved only once in the last 100 years.

The Tories are fine thanks
    But the Tories have only held a majority or a very short period in the last 30 years. Is that not a long term concern for the party? Shouldn't the fact the party has failed to gain a substantial, governing majority since Major lead to introspection? It always amazed me that even with PM Brown, BROWN, the Tories couldn't get a majority in parliament! There is a real weakness there, that your party need to contend with.
    On the latest Yougov the Tories would get a majority of 66, their biggest majority since Thatcher in 1987
    On the lates Comres and Opinium the Tories will lose seats compared with 2017.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    algarkirk said:

Who knows but we only a few days into a high stakes poker game

I expect stalemate for some weeks but if, and it is a big if, Boris starts winning popular approval some compromise may well come into view
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,957
    edited July 2019

Scott_P said:

The whole point of collective government is that ministers do not express personal opinions in public, they express the opinion of the government. To do otherwise is to cause confusion. If the government says on Sunday that its working assumption is there will be a No Deal Brexit and on Monday the PM says that is not his working assumption then no-one knows where things actually stand. If you want companies to invest time, money and effort in preparing for a No Deal that is not good enough.

• Options
    justin124 said:

No. They're in Number 11. :lol:
  • Options

justin124 said:

But higher standards are reasonably to be expected of someone in his position. How would people have reacted to Maggie and Denis living in sin? or Harold and Mary?
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,294
    Scott_P said:

I think you are the only person who read the Tweet and failed to grasp that BoZo and Gove disagreed.

Johnson: "An what we want to do is to make it absolutely clear that the backstop is no good, it’s deal, it has got to go. The withdrawal agreement is dead, it’s got to go. But there is scope to do a new deal."

No there isn't. How many f**king times do the EU you need to tell them.
  • Options

algarkirk said:

I expect stalemate for some weeks but if, and it is a big if, Boris starts winning popular approval some compromise may well come into view

To get the EU27 to move popular opinion in the UK is irrelevant. It's popular opinion in the EU27 that counts. Polling up to now in the EU27 has shown that voters are opposed to any further concessions being offered to the UK.

• Options

algarkirk said:

I think they might do that, although it would be legally difficult for them to make a formal offer.
    Making the offer no harder that the two previous agreed extensions, and is a politics matter. Concluding such an extension requires our agreement, and therefore places the onus on UK not EU, making it almost impossible even for Boris to transfer the blame.

• Options
    justin124 said:

justin124 said:

But higher standards are reasonably to be expected of someone in his position. How would people have reacted to Maggie and Denis living in sin? or Harold and Mary?
    It is 2019 Justin, not the 1950 or 60's
  • Options
    justin124 said:

justin124 said:

Differently, as it was forty years ago?
  • Options

algarkirk said:

To get the EU27 to move popular opinion in the UK is irrelevant. It's popular opinion in the EU27 that counts. Polling up to now in the EU27 has shown that voters are opposed to any further concessions being offered to the UK.

Such an offer requires no further concessions.

• Options

algarkirk said:

Well mutual pain then
  • Options

algarkirk said:

Concessions for an agreement that shouldn’t ever be activated?
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Is that the total number of protestors they could muster !!!
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Scott_P said:

No Scott. Hundreds (correction, 10s) like you, skim read the tweet, thought it was a whizzbang chance to make the Government look divided, retweeted it with glee, and moved on to the next Tweet. That is Twitter. I doubt many even clicked.

It's not up for debate, it really is a simple matter of reading and understanding. This subsequent discussion is embarrassing (to you), but again, I'm glad we're not talking via quoted tweets. Well done.
  • Options

algarkirk said:

Well mutual pain then

Yep - but more for us than them. And therein lies the eternal problem.

• Options
    edited July 2019

Scott_P said:

The whole point of collective government is that ministers do not express personal opinions in public, they express the opinion of the government. To do otherwise is to cause confusion. If the government says on Sunday that its working assumption is there will be a No Deal Brexit and on Monday the PM says that is not his working assumption then no-one knows where things actually stand. If you want companies to invest time, money and effort in preparing for a No Deal that is not good enough.

I don't mean personal in the sense of a privately held view. I mean personal as in held by a person. The whole cabinet supports the line that a deal is desirable and should be sought. Therefore nobody, including Michael Gove, is assuming there will be no deal. But the working assumption of the Government must be that there will be No Deal. Similar working assumptions underlie all planning in health and safety, security, and everything else. The two statements are not in contradiction. Period. Failing to undestand that isn't an argument, it's just failing to understand something.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,319
    algarkirk said:

algarkirk said:

Such an offer requires no further concessions.

What would such an offer achieve from the EU's perspective? If we're gone by 31 October, as Boris is insisting, then will they really care if Boris is successful at pinning the blame on them? It all seems rather irrelevant to me. The circus would have left town.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,062

philiph said:

Scott_P said:
    Am i right in understanding labours position is now GE, magic unicorn new brexit deal, referendum on it...which they will advocate voting against and to remain?
    Wrong in an important respect.

It is just a Unicorn deal, not a magic Unicorn. In Labour Magic is the preserve of Grandpa.
    and also, Corbyn has said it is undecided whether his party will campaign for Remain or the deal they have just negotiated iirc.

Yep. It makes about as much sense as the Tory plans.

We are left hoping Swinson and a government of national unity can save us from these two sets of idiots.
    How can a party with a handful of MP's even jokingly be considered to lead a government. If you are in to fantasy then it should be SNP as 3rd largest party.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,221
    edited July 2019
    algarkirk said:

@Richard_Nabavi has already made the point that it may not be possible to make a formal legal offer but informally I expect they could do this and it may, indeed, be wise of them to do so. They should also say that the current WA arises from Britain’s red lines so that if Britain wants a different agreement it needs to change its red lines and then ask Boris: “Which ones do you want to change?”

If the EU really wanted to put a cat among the pigeons, it should say that not only does it want the UK to remain, is happy to extend to allow Britain to reconsider and/or to change its red lines but it would be happy to have it remain on the basis of the agreement Cameron negotiated.

The difficulty is that Boris is working back from the outcome he wants rather than working forwards from his red lines. The need for the backstop would, for instance, disappear if Britain remained a member of the single Market and Customs Union. How much do the Brexiteers really hate the backstop if that was what was needed to remove it?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,983
    I'd go for more optimistic on the basis that the deadlock should be broken somehow or other by October 31st which should then allow us to turn our attention to other matters.
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

Certainly - living together outside marriage is perfectly acceptable nowadays. However living with, or being married to, someone young enough to be your child does not go unnoticed.
  • Options
    CiceroCicero Posts: 2,252
    Cyclefree said:

algarkirk said:

@Richard_Nabavi has already made the point that it may not be possible to make a formal legal offer but informally I expect they could do this and it may, indeed, be wise of them to do so. They should also say that the current WA arises from Britain’s red lines so that if Britain wants a different agreement it needs to change its red lines and then ask Boris: “Which ones do you want to change?”

If the EU really wanted to put a cat among the pigeons, it should say that not only does it want the UK to remain, is happy to extend to allow Britain to reconsider and/or to change its red lines but it would be happy to have it remain on the basis of the agreement Cameron negotiated.

The difficulty is that Boris is working back from the outcome he wants rather than working forwards from his red lines. The need for the backstop would, for instance, disappear if Britain remained a member of the single Market and Customs Union. How much do the Brexiteers really hate the backstop if that was what was needed to remove it?
    Absolutely spot on!
  • Options

thought it was a whizzbang chance to make the Government look divided

The Government is divided.

You are the only person still arguing the point
  • Options
    @Cyclefree, what do you make of Boris's commitment to national infrastructure? I remember you having strong views in this areain discussions below the line.
  • Options
    edited July 2019

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

Thatcher was there until 1990 - by which time 'living in sin' had become commonplace, but she would not have behaved that way - nor would the public have expected it of her.The fact that so many more people now adhere to lower moral standards does not make such behaviour any less shameful than it ever was.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,062

@Cyclefree, what do you make of Boris's commitment to national infrastructure? I remember you having strong views in this areain discussions below the line.

LOL oxymoron there , Boris and commitment , my butt. Just some porkies for the sheeple.
  • Options
    edited July 2019

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

Thatcher was there until 1990 by which time 'living in sin' had become commonplace, but she would not have behaved that way - nor would the public have expected it of her.The fact that so many more people now adhere to lower moral standards does not make such behaviour any less shameful than it ever was.

You are entitled to your view but as far as I am concerned I welcome a more enlightened society
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,002
    Mr. Meeks, that might just be a function of the gender split on leaving the EU generally.

In the same way, a London poll might be worse than the English/Welsh average for the buffoon.
  • Options
    edited July 2019

Scott_P said:

I don't mean personal in the sense of a privately held view. I mean personal as in held by a person. The whole cabinet supports the line that a deal is desirable and should be sought. Therefore nobody, including Michael Gove, is assuming there will be no deal. But the working assumption of the Government must be that there will be No Deal. Similar working assumptions underlie all planning in health and safety, security, and everything else. The two statements are not in contradiction. Period. Failing to undestand that isn't an argument, it's just failing to understand something.

Right - so the government's working assumption is that there will be a No Deal Brexit, while government ministers are not working to that assumption. Instead, they believe a deal is still eminently doable. Is that right? As the member of my company's SLT, should I believe the government or government ministers? In other words, is it time for me now to start to invest a lot of time and money - moving human and financial resources previously allocated to other projects - to prepare for an outcome that ministers do not yet believe is probable, or should I wait?
  • Options

To be honest, I haven’t followed in detail. So can’t comment on specifics. Sorry. Not avoiding the question. Just don’t feel able to say.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

LOL oxymoron there , Boris and commitment , my butt. Just some porkies for the sheeple.
    Not sure in this case. Whatever else you accuse Boris of, not loving big infrastructure projects isn't one of them. With Cameron I really think he just wanted to be PM, and once he got there he was more or less done. Boris I think wants to be a great PM.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

Thatcher was there until 1990 - by which time 'living in sin' had become commonplace, but she would not have behaved that way - nor would the public have expected it of her.The fact that so many more people now adhere to lower moral standards does not make such behaviour any less shameful than it ever was.
    That was also thirty years ago. People don’t care these days.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

thought it was a whizzbang chance to make the Government look divided

The Government is divided.

You are the only person still arguing the point

The government is not divided, it just thinks different things.

• Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,020
    Cyclefree said:

To be honest, I haven’t followed in detail. So can’t comment on specifics. Sorry. Not avoiding the question. Just don’t feel able to say.
    Let's see.

So far we have scrap the HS2 bit that makes sense (on capacity grounds)
    Build only part of HS3 - the bit between Leeds and Manchester.
    No mention of heathrow and runways...

Have I missed anything else?
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Cyclefree said:

algarkirk said:

I think for the moment Boris intends both to keep the red lines and to get round the backstop. Whether this is mere cakeism I don't know, but given that Boris has to unite leavers, sideline the Brexit party, keep open the basics of the WA and distinguish himself from TM his landing strip is narrow to vanishing. Hence, I think, the degree of rhetoric, which is designed to blow the doors open on the backstop rather than find a finessed way around.

The lack of clarity from the UK about what the WA would look like in this regard remains a telling issue. However, the UK is quietly enjoying a break from being bullied and outsmarted by urbane EU poker players. I don't think it's impossible that the EU/Ireland will quietly cave in somehow. Whichhow I have no idea.

• Options

Scott_P said:

Right - so the government's working assumption is that there will be a No Deal Brexit, while government ministers are not working to that assumption. Instead, they believe a deal is still eminently doable. Is that right? As the member of my company's SLT, should I believe the government or government ministers? In other words, is it time for me now to start investing a lot of time and money in preparing for an outcome that ministers do not yet believe is probable, or should I wait?
    Would you rather stay in a hotel where the fire safety measures have been provided on the working assumption that there will be a fire, or on the working assumption that there won't be?
  • Options
    eek said:

Cyclefree said:

Let's see.

You're ahead of me - I have not seen any news of HS2 being scrapped.
  • Options

Would you rather stay in a hotel where the fire safety measures have been provided on the working assumption that there will be a fire, or on the working assumption that there won't be?

Which one did Gove build and which one did BoZo build?
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Which one did Gove build and which one did BoZo build?
    Nice deflection.
  • Options
    basicbridgebasicbridge Posts: 674
    Re Pelosi, surely it isnt BoJo who is threatening to put a hard border on the inner-Irish border?
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Right - so the government's working assumption is that there will be a No Deal Brexit, while government ministers are not working to that assumption. Instead, they believe a deal is still eminently doable. Is that right? As the member of my company's SLT, should I believe the government or government ministers? In other words, is it time for me now to start investing a lot of time and money in preparing for an outcome that ministers do not yet believe is probable, or should I wait?

The fire brigade is telling me there will be a fire. Firefighters are telling me there won't be one. If I believe the former I need to spend a lot of extra money, but what if the firefighters are right - and why wouldn't they be?

• Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,712
    justin124 said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

Thatcher was of the post war generation.... about twice removed from Boris..
  • Options
    RobD said:

Nice deflection.

It's not a deflection, it's the central point of the entire tedious thread.

Gove and BoZo don't agree.

They were asked the same question and gave different answers.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,135

Scott_P said:

Would you stay in a hotel whose manager told you had a "very real prospect"* of burning down during your stay?
    *Gove on likelihood no deal Brexit.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,045

justin124 said:

Officially, yes.
    Didn't Lloyd-George's secretary live in?
  • Options
    IcarusIcarus Posts: 908
    From GOV.UK guidance:

Will UK nationals continue to get their State Pension uprated under no deal?

The UK leaving the EU will not affect entitlement to continue receiving the UK State Pension if you live in the EU, and we are committed to uprate across the EU in 2019 to 2020. We would wish to continue uprating pensions beyond that but would take decisions in light of whether, as we would hope and expect, reciprocal arrangements with the EU are in place.

Government looking to penalise UK pensioners in Europe.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

RobD said:

Nice deflection.

It's not a deflection, it's the central point of the entire tedious thread.

Gove and BoZo don't agree.

They were asked the same question and gave different answers.
    One was talking in the context of planning, one in the context of the wishes of HMG?
  • Options

Re Pelosi, surely it isnt BoJo who is threatening to put a hard border on the inner-Irish border?

The UK government can seek to argue that it is not putting the GFA at risk by pursuing a No Deal Brexit. Maybe they could get Ambassador Farage to make the case ;-)

• Options
    edited July 2019

You are entitled to your view but as far as I am concerned I welcome a more enlightened society

Would you be happy if your daughter started a relationship with a man 24 years older than her? That is the issue that most people look askance at, and it will be an obstacle with women voters in particular.
  • Options
    Any No Deal Brexit planning that businesses do will involve the reallocation of human and financial resources. The smaller the business, the bigger the call to press the button will be. The only chance of it happening is if there is absolute clarity and no ambiguity in the guidance coming from government. Mixed messages will not do.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,136
    eek said:

Cyclefree said:

Let's see.

This is all a bit hypothetical if the government doesn't have a majority, doesn't dare hold an election, and faces an existential crisis in 3 months' time.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,020

eek said:

Cyclefree said:

Let's see.

That was Boris during the leadership campaign - although it seems it may have been a sounding board rather than implemented.
  • Options

eek said:

Cyclefree said:

Let's see.

I don’t really have strong feelings about railways or the technical knowledge. One for @JosiasJessop rather than me.

• Options

Would you be happy if your daughter started a relationship with a man 24 years older than her? That is the issue that most people look askance at, and it will be an obstacle with women voters in particular.
    My daughter is married to a man 12 years older and has been for 18 years

However, generally no but I am not wanting to judge anyone's personal relationships
  • Options

The age gap doesn’t bother me. The fact that it is Boris would. Very much indeed. I would be appalled if my daughter got together with a man like him. Fortunately, I think she has far too much sense.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Icarus said:

From GOV.UK guidance:

The UK leaving the EU will not affect entitlement to continue receiving the UK State Pension if you live in the EU, and we are committed to uprate across the EU in 2019 to 2020. We would wish to continue uprating pensions beyond that but would take decisions in light of whether, as we would hope and expect, reciprocal arrangements with the EU are in place.

Does "beyond that" mean "beyond the current financial year"?

In which case, isn't the answer simply "Not unless other EU countries reciprocate"?
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125
    justin124 said:

justin124 said:

Different era - different views - maybe where you belongif you liked it so much.
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

The volume of EU/UK trade flows goes into the hundreds of billions per annum and is suffering already.
    Exports from the UK to Germany have decreased by more than 6%, from Germany to UK by more than 2%.

Some businesses have planning cycles of up to a decade (car factories/chemical plants).
    The continuity of economic operations under such conditions of future legal uncertainty is unsustainable.
  • Options
    Chris said:

eek said:

Cyclefree said:

Let's see.

This is all a bit hypothetical if the government doesn't have a majority, doesn't dare hold an election, and faces an existential crisis in 3 months' time.
    I think Boris is pre GE campaigning now and appears to be framing a 'who governs Britain' question ready to launch in the Autumn

It amazes me he is being given six weeks unopposed run at it
  • Options

Any No Deal Brexit planning that businesses do will involve the reallocation of human and financial resources. The smaller the business, the bigger the call to press the button will be. The only chance of it happening is if there is absolute clarity and no ambiguity in the guidance coming from government. Mixed messages will not do.

There is no mixed message. Personally, I am pleased that Boris is keen to get a great deal, and equally pleased that his Government has been instructed to proceed on the working assumption that it won't get one.

It is a refreshing change from the irresponsible behaviour of the previous Government, where the reverse often appeared to be true.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125
    Icarus said:

From GOV.UK guidance:

In the absence of a deal that would be down to negotiations between the UK and individual countries I believe.
  • Options
    Chris said:

Icarus said:

From GOV.UK guidance:

In which case, isn't the answer simply "Not unless other EU countries reciprocate"?
    Why does it need to be reciprocal?
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Chris said:

Icarus said:

From GOV.UK guidance:

Dont ask me. I'm just trying to work out what the government's saying.
  • Options
    When's this Boris in Scotland speech gonna happen then? Me and Ms Brisk have had the telly on all day in anticipation.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,995
    Chris said:

Cyclefree said:

Chris said:

Icarus said:

From GOV.UK guidance:

Dont ask me. I'm just trying to work out what the government's saying.
    You, me and half the government, too.
  • Options
    edited July 2019

There is no mixed message. Personally, I am pleased that Boris is keen to get a great deal, and equally pleased that his Government has been instructed to proceed on the working assumption that it won't get one.

It is a refreshing change from the irresponsible behaviour of the previous Government, where the reverse often appeared to be true.

So should my business be reallocating human and financial resources to No Deal Brexit planning and away from other projects - such as recruitment, training and new product development - or not? What is the unequivocal guidance the government and the PM are delivering on this? I’m afraid I don’t see the clear message you do.

• Options
    FensterFenster Posts: 2,115
    I'm surprised the EU aren't moving faster. You'd think they'd want to get past Brexit and move on to happier things like imposing negative interest rates across the Eurozone.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,870
    The fact that Boris likes to play tickle the bishop with a much younger woman is not at all the issue.

The fact that he is several marriages and an indeterminate number of children to the bad is the issue.

For how many of them is he paying child support?
  • Options

When's this Boris in Scotland speech gonna happen then? Me and Ms Brisk have had the telly on all day in anticipation.

Boris and Nicola have met. Poor Boris, I think we can all feel for him in that meeting.
  • Options
    In my calmer moments, I agree with this thread, ie the No Deal talk is bollocks.

https://twitter.com/sime0nstylites/status/1155791621679722496?s=21
  • Options

So should my business be reallocating human and financial resources to No Deal Brexit planning and away from other projects - such as recruitment, training and new product development - or not? What is the clear and unequivocal guidance the government and the PM are delivering on this? I’m afraid I don’t see the clear message you do.

It's a personal view, but I would suggest you hope for the best, prepare for the worst, and deal with what comes.
  • Options
    Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,791

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

Thatcher was of the post war generation.... about twice removed from Boris..
    She was a political heavyweight, and therefore about as much removed from Boris Johnson and his pathetic acolytes as it is possible to be
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,983
    Fenster said:

I'm surprised the EU aren't moving faster. You'd think they'd want to get past Brexit and move on to happier things like imposing negative interest rates across the Eurozone.

I was having a tentative look at the remortgage I'll need to do at the start of next year, negative interest rates would be amazing to be honest (Yes yes I know lenders would charge a +ve rate, but it'd be perhaps 0.75% or so on the offer period...)
  • Options

Chris said:

eek said:

Cyclefree said:

Let's see.

I think Boris is pre GE campaigning now and appears to be framing a 'who governs Britain' question ready to launch in the Autumn

It amazes me he is being given six weeks unopposed run at it
    I would not be surprised to discover that Corbyn has gone on holiday to spend all of August in the Masurian Lakes or some such.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,052

algarkirk said:

The volume of EU/UK trade flows goes into the hundreds of billions per annum and is suffering already.
    Exports from the UK to Germany have decreased by more than 6%, from Germany to UK by more than 2%.

Some businesses have planning cycles of up to a decade (car factories/chemical plants).
    The continuity of economic operations under such conditions of future legal uncertainty is unsustainable.
    With all due respect Matthias, you need to look at the whole picture. How are German imports in total: are they rising or falling? Ditto for the UK. You may simply be capturing slowdowns the the German and British economies.
  • Options

My daughter is married to a man 12 years older and has been for 18 years

However, generally no but I am not wanting to judge anyone's personal relationships
    But if we never make judgements we live in a moral vacuum in which self-interest is always and everywhere elevated above the interests of others, or of society in general.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,085
    I personally hating dealing with people who treat every negotiation as some sort of game that requires a ‘winner’ rather than a quest for common ground.

The EU are much closer to my personal outlook in this regard than our pathetic government.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,676

So should my business be reallocating human and financial resources to No Deal Brexit planning and away from other projects - such as recruitment, training and new product development - or not? What is the clear and unequivocal guidance the government and the PM are delivering on this? I’m afraid I don’t see the clear message you do.

It's a personal view, but I would suggest you hope for the best, prepare for the worst, and deal with what comes.
    Expect the worst, then you are never disappointed.
  • Options

I personally hating dealing with people who treat every negotiation as some sort of game that requires a ‘winner’ rather than a quest for common ground.

The EU are much closer to my personal outlook in this regard than our pathetic government.

Yeah, they were fantastic in reaching agreement with Greece. Basically wrote off two generations of people.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Fenster said:

I was having a tentative look at the remortgage I'll need to do at the start of next year, negative interest rates would be amazing to be honest (Yes yes I know lenders would charge a +ve rate, but it'd be perhaps 0.75% or so on the offer period...)
    You're whining about interest rates when the base rate is 0.75pc ?????????

https://www.bankofengland.co.uk/monetary-policy/the-interest-rate-bank-rate

Think of the poor pensioners
  • Options

So you don’t know either. We got there in the end!!!

• Options

algarkirk said:

This is not a game of poker, which is ultimately decided by the value of hands that are unknown to the other players while the betting goes on. The information which guides decisions (legal text of international trade treaties/economic statistics) are accessible to any player, there are no secrets, everything relevant is out in the open.
    Who exactly is holding the office of PM and approval ratings are at best of secondary consideration.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Fenster said:

I got 1.89% last year. I paid £500 surplus to allow me to overpay and I've been paying double my monthly payments. So yes, there are upsides if you were lucky to already be on the ladder.
This discussion has been closed.