Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Jo Swinson wins the LD leadership contest

Comments

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,020
    stodge said:

Zephyr said:

I say Good luck to Jo Swindon. I like her a lot. I have seen her pop up on News programmes, being interviewed in a street somewhere unrecognisable, like a member of the public, but talking a lot of harmless sense. I can put a name to the face now. She is much like the Jeb Bush of British politics, a darn sight more palatable than the toxic options isn’t she?

Take that trolls!

Jo Swinson is of course Britain's answer to Jacinda Ardern except she had the baby before becoming prime minister whereas Jacinda became PM and then had the baby.
    Though the New Zealand Conservatives, the Nationals, won more seats than Ardern's Labour Party in the last election but as they failed to win a majority Ardern ended up doing a Deal with New Zealand First, the New Zealand version of the Brexit Party.

Cannot see Swinson following suit
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    kle4 said:

justin124 said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

theakes said:

Wow reading through some of the comments about the new Lib Dem leader it looks as if she has already ruffled feathers and produced serious anxiety into the SNP and right wing of the Blue ranks.

Yep, #Jomentum is on the roll...
    Jo Swinson CV

• Warned against rises in Minimum Wage
    • Called for a statue to pay Tribute to Thatcher
    • Defended Tory Tribunal Fees
    • Scrapped EMA
    • Cut Disability Payments
    • Backed Bedroom Tax
    • Tripled Tuition Fees
    • Voted to bomb several Muslim Countries
    • Backed Austerity

Just your regular Liberal Democrat, really
    Isn’t that pretty much the same list thrown at Labour's own MPs by their friends on the left?
    Well it is certainly the CV of a willing Tory Little Helper! I am sure Labour will make good use of it.
    No danger of it happening again, the LDs would run a mile from helping the Tories in any capacity ever again in living memory.
    Whatever the truth of that , many will not be inclined to believe it!
  • Options
    spudgfshspudgfsh Posts: 1,312
    HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

There has to be a good chance that Jo Swinson's successor is not even in the Commons yet. Lib Dems don't usually let little matters such as losing elections affect the standing of their leaders. She may well be there for over a decade.

Swinson may well lose her seat to the SNP at the next general election, especially if Tories stop tactically voting for her, in which case the LDs will be looking for a new leader even if they make gains in England
    The same could be said of BJ. if the new boundaries had been in place he'd have a seat where he didn't have a majority. He could easily lose the seat with a concerted effort by Labour
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,210
    HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:
    Of course the pro Brexit Conservative Party of Canada is neck and neck with Trudeau's Liberals in the polls and if their leader Andrew Scheer becomes Canadian PM that likely change a things.

Though even Trudeau has not ruled out a FTA with the UK eventually
    You don't get it do you. That's a real business employing people which is facing real problems which will affect their profits and those people's jobs and lives because of the insouciant indifference of the people you support who couldn't give a shit about the lives of ordinary people.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,315

I see we're at that the tiresome honeymoon stage of proclaiming that anyone who does not genuflect to the all round wonderfulness of the new leader must be running scared. Of course we've had that tedious auld bollox on PB before: Jim Murphy, Kezia Dugdale, Alistair Carmichael, Ruth Davidson, even Wullie Rennie!

At least we should be spared that with BJ since almost everyone is well aware of his manifest failings and general crapness.

Lol poor UnionDiv is getting a bit confused he mentions a string on non-entities who were elected in Holyrood; Apparently not understanding that Swinson is being elected to be UK Westminster leader.

It shouldn't be that difficult for someone apparently interested in Scottish politics - but yes I guess it is maybe a bit "complex" for you nationalist morons
    Morons? Who put a feather up your no doubt ample arse?

Time for your cocoa and sedatives.
    LOL - yes you are morons. And you really should know better than to mix Holyrood leaders (who nobody on PB gives a flying f about) with Westminster leaders

What's your excuse?
    Yeah, right, after PB Unionists frotting themselves senseless over Ruth Davidson for the last 3 years, nobody on PB gives a flying fuck.

Away and practice your boorish inanity on someone else.
    Ruth Davidson? She's the lesbo Scottish tory woman right.

I don't watch FMQs, you'll have to try your moronic schtick with someone else.
    You need to calm down.

As a pro Union supporter with a large Scottish Family in the North East of Scotland you are doing the cause of the Union no good at all
  • Options
    JBriskinindyref2JBriskinindyref2 Posts: 1,775
    edited July 2019

I see we're at that the tiresome honeymoon stage of proclaiming that anyone who does not genuflect to the all round wonderfulness of the new leader must be running scared. Of course we've had that tedious auld bollox on PB before: Jim Murphy, Kezia Dugdale, Alistair Carmichael, Ruth Davidson, even Wullie Rennie!

At least we should be spared that with BJ since almost everyone is well aware of his manifest failings and general crapness.

Lol poor UnionDiv is getting a bit confused he mentions a string on non-entities who were elected in Holyrood; Apparently not understanding that Swinson is being elected to be UK Westminster leader.

It shouldn't be that difficult for someone apparently interested in Scottish politics - but yes I guess it is maybe a bit "complex" for you nationalist morons

LOL - yes you are morons. And you really should know better than to mix Holyrood leaders (who nobody on PB gives a flying f about) with Westminster leaders

What's your excuse?
    Yeah, right, after PB Unionists frotting themselves senseless over Ruth Davidson for the last 3 years, nobody on PB gives a flying fuck.

You need to calm down.

As a pro Union supporter with a large Scottish Family in the North East of Scotland you are doing the cause of the Union no good at all
    Ooooooh, someone been doing their research.

Given I'm pretty much disowned by my family I would thank you not to mention them again.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,101
    TOPPING said:

kle4 said:

TOPPING said:

kle4 said:

TOPPING said:

kle4 said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

If you opposed the Withdrawal Agreement and oppose No Deal you are a diehard Remainer

Nope. If you voted remain and supported the WA you are a diehard remainer.
    Nope, as the Withdrawal Agreement by definition took us out of the EU as does No Deal
    The ERG opposed the WA. They know what's what leaver-wise. You are a diehard remainer. Deal with it.
    The ERG did not oppose the WA, not in the end. The majority of the ERG voted for the WA. We know this because while the numbers are not precise there are generally said to be around 70+ MPs in the ERG, and far fewer than that opposed it at MV3, and some of those opposed to the WA were the Grievers.

So even if the ERG know what is what, leaver-wise, I am afraid you do not. They are not monolithic in view either, and the majority do not take the view you ascribe to them.
    Yeah they do. They are the leaver experts. They opposed the WA. Or did I miss its passing successfully?
    Did you just ignore the entire post? The ERG is comprised of more than those who opposed the WA.

Unless you are trying to say only those who opposed the WA are true ERGers, which is nonsense, it is simple fact that plenty of ERGers, nay the majority, voted for the WA. There's no getting around that the spartans do not outnumber the rest of the ERG.
    And yet here we are on the brink of an entirely ERG-defined Brexit. So the chaff and diehard remainers fell by the wayside. Great good riddance. We are on the verge of a total victory of the ERG vision.
    It's good to see that the Chairman of the ERG, who voted for the WA, is either chaff or a diehard remainer.

I do not dispute that the hardest of the hardliners are in the ascendency, nor even that they are likely the most popular faction in the party, but the ERG they provably ain't. It cannot be an ERG defined Brexit when the ERG includes a majority who were content (albeit not happy) to accept a backstop including deal.
    Don't fall off the head of that pin.

We are at the hardest of hard Brexits. Which was the aim of the ERG all along. Anything else is a compromise from what they really wanted which is what we have now.
    Didn't you repeatedly tell us that May's deal was going to pass ?
  • Options
    spudgfsh said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

There has to be a good chance that Jo Swinson's successor is not even in the Commons yet. Lib Dems don't usually let little matters such as losing elections affect the standing of their leaders. She may well be there for over a decade.

Swinson may well lose her seat to the SNP at the next general election, especially if Tories stop tactically voting for her, in which case the LDs will be looking for a new leader even if they make gains in England
    The same could be said of BJ. if the new boundaries had been in place he'd have a seat where he didn't have a majority. He could easily lose the seat with a concerted effort by Labour
    Hillingdon containing Uxbridge voted Leave and unless Corbyn wins an overall majority which he is miles from at the moment Boris will hold his seat.

Swinson's seat though is largely reliant on Tories tactically voting LD to stop the SNP though so much more vulnerable at the moment
  • Options

What's your excuse?

You need to calm down.

Given I'm pretty much disowned by my family I would thank you not to mention them again.
    I do not need to do research on all things Scots.

I was in Edinburgh City Police in 1964, got married to a Lossiemouth quine that year, have had a lifetime connection with NE Scots Fishermen and love the Scots with a passion no matter that they divide over Independence

I suggest you need to show more respect to the Scots
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:
    Of course the pro Brexit Conservative Party of Canada is neck and neck with Trudeau's Liberals in the polls and if their leader Andrew Scheer becomes Canadian PM that likely change a things.

You don't get it do you. That's a real business employing people which is facing real problems which will affect their profits and those people's jobs and lives because of the insouciant indifference of the people you support who couldn't give a shit about the lives of ordinary people.
    No, we give a shot about regaining sovereignty, controlling our borders and ultimately doing our own trade deals as 17 million people voted for but I know you have no interest in respecting the biggest vote in post war UK history.

As I pointed out if the Canadian Tories win November's election and beat Trudeau's Liberals a Canada UK FTA will likely be fasttracked and CETA rolled over anyway
  • Options
    hamiltonacehamiltonace Posts: 642
    spudgfsh said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

Swinson’s stand on brexit will go down well with her constituency. I would also suggest that bj at much more risk which may be why he will not go for an early election.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,819
    Jaws! Expel him!

(No "Moonraker" fans? Tough crowd... :) )
  • Options
    edited July 2019

spudgfsh said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

Swinson’s stand on brexit will go down well with her constituency. I would also suggest that bj at much more risk which may be why he will not go for an early election.
    It was Tory pro Brexit voters tactically voting LD in 2017 which saw Swinson gain the seat from the SNP, if there is tactical unwind as is likely as Tories to not want to vote for a diehard Remainer party leader then Swinson may well lose to the SNP.

Given current polling Boris will hold his seat and even more so as leader when many Brexit Party voters return to the Tories
  • Options
    ZephyrZephyr Posts: 438
  • Options
    HYUFD said:
    John Major and Tony Blair voting LD at the next general election?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

spudgfsh said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

Hillingdon containing Uxbridge voted Leave and unless Corbyn wins an overall majority which he is miles from at the moment Boris will hold his seat.

Swinson's seat though is largely reliant on Tories tactically voting LD to stop the SNP though so much more vulnerable at the moment
    But the scottish tories still have their 'anti-snp' asset of Ruth Davidson. They did significantly better in scotland because of her and the anti SNP vote will still break for the LibDems in her seat.
  • Options

What's your excuse?

You need to calm down.

I do not need to do research on all things Scots.

I was in Edinburgh City Police in 1964, got married to a Lossiemouth quine that year, have had a lifetime connection with NE Scots Fishermen and love the Scots with a passion no matter that they divide over Independence

I suggest you need to show more respect to the Scots
    Sorry my bad - it's you with the big north east family? I think

Regardless I do indeed have a lot of respect for the Scots - being one myself; it would be a little weird if I didn't
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    So, who should lead a government of national unity?
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,980

spudgfsh said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

I suspect BJ will hold on. The anti-Boris vote will split between Labour and a resurgent LD (who will do particularly well in London next time out). That same resurgence will see Jo Swinson comfortably hold her seat, btw - LDs are quite as capable of taking votes from Tory remainers as they are from Labour remainers.
  • Options

I think we all agreed on TMay the other day.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

No, we give a shot about regaining sovereignty, controlling our borders and ultimately doing our own trade deals as 17 million people voted for but I know you have no interest in respecting the biggest vote in post war UK history.

As I pointed out if the Canadian Tories win November's election and beat Trudeau's Liberals a Canada UK FTA will likely be fasttracked and CETA rolled over anyway
    Since I have told you repeatedly what my views are and you insist on ignoring what I write, quite clearly, there is very little point in engaging with you.

You and those you support are quite prepared for others to suffer. It is utterly contemptible.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:
    So guns before helpiing starving children. Sums up ERG sadly
  • Options
    HYUFD said:
    Since the UK adopted the 0.7% spending on Foreign Aid has any other country followed suit ?
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

Since I have told you repeatedly what my views are and you insist on ignoring what I write, quite clearly, there is very little point in engaging with you.

You and those you support are quite prepared for others to suffer. It is utterly contemptible.
    No we believe in a sovereign Britain as the majority voted for and respecting the Leave victory unlike you
  • Options

Ken Clarke. It would be like Churchill returning in his country's hour of greatest need.
  • Options

HYUFD said:
    So are you in favour of cutting the defence budget and spending the extra money on increasing Foreign Aid ?
  • Options

spudgfsh said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

I suspect BJ will hold on. The anti-Boris vote will split between Labour and a resurgent LD (who will do particularly well in London next time out). That same resurgence will see Jo Swinson comfortably hold her seat, btw - LDs are quite as capable of taking votes from Tory remainers as they are from Labour remainers.
    All it'd take is the brexit party to take a couple of thousand votes from him and for the lib dems allow the labour party to squeeze them in the seat. (it'd be funny if it was with a libdem style graph!)
  • Options
    spudgfsh said:

HYUFD said:

spudgfsh said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

But the scottish tories still have their 'anti-snp' asset of Ruth Davidson. They did significantly better in scotland because of her and the anti SNP vote will still break for the LibDems in her seat.
    In 2017 the Tories vote was up 14% across Scotland on 2015 but only 6% in East Dunbartonshire due to Tories tactically voting for Swinson
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

And HYUFD and myself are in the same party would you believe but for how long is debatable
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited July 2019
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/jul/22/senior-tories-warn-boris-johnson-over-no-deal-brexit

"...But several Conservative MPs said they will regard Johnson’s first speech to the nation and cabinet appointments as a test of whether he is capable of reaching out across parliament to find a majority for a plan to leave the EU that can find approval from Eurosceptics and more moderate Brexit supporters.

If he does not, then organisation will start again in earnest to prevent him pursuing a no-deal Brexit, with some senior Tories already sending out feelers about the possibility of a “national unity” government with opposition MPs.

The rebels are prepared to give Johnson the summer to see if he can make headway towards coming to a fresh agreement with the EU that avoids no deal but will make their moves against him after that if he takes the government full tilt towards a no-deal Brexit.

One former minister said a “sizeable chunk” of the 42 Tories who voted against a no-deal Brexit last week are prepared to put their own careers on the line to stop Johnson pursuing that path – either through a legislative block on leaving the EU without a deal or a confidence vote if that proves impossible.

He said what Johnson says on the steps of Downing Street on Wednesday will be crucial as his critics within the party will be infuriated and galvanised to action if he “tries to act like he has a majority of 150” or goes down the path of “Trumpian rhetoric” that forgets the country is split on Brexit."

• Options

HYUFD said:
    So are you in favour of cutting the defence budget and spending the extra money on increasing Foreign Aid ?
    I am in favour of the 0.7 % aid being spent on exactly that, not guns or weapons

No increase but no stealing from the mouths of starving children to increase our military
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

spudgfsh said:

HYUFD said:

spudgfsh said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

In 2017 the Tories vote was up 14% across Scotland on 2015 but only 6% in East Dunbartonshire due to Tories tactically voting for Swinson
    You do know things have changed dramatically since 2017
  • Options
    spudgfsh said:

spudgfsh said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

All it'd take is the brexit party to take a couple of thousand votes from him and for the lib dems allow the labour party to squeeze them in the seat. (it'd be funny if it was with a libdem style graph!)
    Can't see the LDs soft-peddling anywhere in London. It'd be very foolish if they did. They've got a real chance of capitalising big on the palpable anger at both main parties over Brexit, as the London Euro results showed..
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,644
    HYUFD said:

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

This is cloud cuckooland stuff. I assume you don't run a business? As I posted several days ago I recently retired but my company was only deregistered in June and only shortly before that did I deregister for VAT. So the Govt did not know I was going to cease trading yet in the last 3 years I have received not one word on what I am supposed to do re Brexit yet it would have impacted me considerably.
  • Options

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/jul/22/senior-tories-warn-boris-johnson-over-no-deal-brexit

"...But several Conservative MPs said they will regard Johnson’s first speech to the nation and cabinet appointments as a test of whether he is capable of reaching out across parliament to find a majority for a plan to leave the EU that can find approval from Eurosceptics and more moderate Brexit supporters.

If he does not, then organisation will start again in earnest to prevent him pursuing a no-deal Brexit, with some senior Tories already sending out feelers about the possibility of a “national unity” government with opposition MPs.

The rebels are prepared to give Johnson the summer to see if he can make headway towards coming to a fresh agreement with the EU that avoids no deal but will make their moves against him after that if he takes the government full tilt towards a no-deal Brexit.

One former minister said a “sizeable chunk” of the 42 Tories who voted against a no-deal Brexit last week are prepared to put their own careers on the line to stop Johnson pursuing that path – either through a legislative block on leaving the EU without a deal or a confidence vote if that proves impossible.

He said what Johnson says on the steps of Downing Street on Wednesday will be crucial as his critics within the party will be infuriated and galvanised to action if he “tries to act like he has a majority of 150” or goes down the path of “Trumpian rhetoric” that forgets the country is split on Brexit."

Wise conservative mps - they have my full support
  • Options
    Torby_FennelTorby_Fennel Posts: 438
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:
    It'd tell you all you need to know about the state of both so-called main parties if they're not even broad enough coalitions to attract the votes of their former PMs.
  • Options

HYUFD said:
    I am in favour of the 0.7 % aid being spent on exactly that, not guns or weapons

No increase but no stealing from the mouths of starving children to increase our military
    Do you have any idea on what the Foreign Aid budget is spent on ?

Can you guess which country is the biggest recipient of the UK's Foreign Aid spending ?
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    HYUFD said:

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

No we believe in a sovereign Britain as the majority voted for and respecting the Leave victory unlike you
    It's an interesting quirk of the English language these days that when your interlocutor uses the word "respect," whether as noun or verb, it's odds on that you are dealing with a semiliterate arsehole.
  • Options
    DruttDrutt Posts: 1,093
    Apparently HMG turned down the opportunity to join Op Sentinel with the US Navy to protect shipping in the Gulf and is instead looking to establish a European reaction force.

I don't have a take on that, but any mention of European military prompts me to segue into this footage of Belgian cadets marching.

https://mobile.twitter.com/jamesdeeganMC/status/1153289372126588933
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Can you guess which country is the biggest recipient of the UK's Foreign Aid spending ?
    Africa as far as I am aware but spending the money is upto the government.

Diverting it to weapons is just not a starter
  • Options
    alex.alex. Posts: 4,658

HYUFD said:
    MoD should be capable of pissing that away in an afternoon
  • Options

HYUFD said:

spudgfsh said:

HYUFD said:

spudgfsh said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

Yes, the Brexit Party has taken Tory votes (the Brexit Party beat the Tories in Scotland in the European Parliament elections) and many of those voters may return to voting for a Boris led Tory Party, they will not be tactically voting for Swinson again
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,313

TOPPING said:

kle4 said:

TOPPING said:

kle4 said:

TOPPING said:

kle4 said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

If you opposed the Withdrawal Agreement and oppose No Deal you are a diehard Remainer

Nope, as the Withdrawal Agreement by definition took us out of the EU as does No Deal
    The ERG opposed the WA. They know what's what leaver-wise. You are a diehard remainer. Deal with it.
    The ERG did not oppose the WA, not in the end. The majority of the ERG voted for the WA. We know this because while the numbers are not precise there are generally said to be around 70+ MPs in the ERG, and far fewer than that opposed it at MV3, and some of those opposed to the WA were the Grievers.

So even if the ERG know what is what, leaver-wise, I am afraid you do not. They are not monolithic in view either, and the majority do not take the view you ascribe to them.
    Yeah they do. They are the leaver experts. They opposed the WA. Or did I miss its passing successfully?
    Did you just ignore the entire post? The ERG is comprised of more than those who opposed the WA.

Unless you are trying to say only those who opposed the WA are true ERGers, which is nonsense, it is simple fact that plenty of ERGers, nay the majority, voted for the WA. There's no getting around that the spartans do not outnumber the rest of the ERG.
    And yet here we are on the brink of an entirely ERG-defined Brexit. So the chaff and diehard remainers fell by the wayside. Great good riddance. We are on the verge of a total victory of the ERG vision.
    It's good to see that the Chairman of the ERG, who voted for the WA, is either chaff or a diehard remainer.

I do not dispute that the hardest of the hardliners are in the ascendency, nor even that they are likely the most popular faction in the party, but the ERG they provably ain't. It cannot be an ERG defined Brexit when the ERG includes a majority who were content (albeit not happy) to accept a backstop including deal.

We are at the hardest of hard Brexits. Which was the aim of the ERG all along. Anything else is a compromise from what they really wanted which is what we have now.
    Yep. It still probably will.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

I thought they were diverting it to bribing developing countries to agree trade deals with us?

• Options

HYUFD said:

It isn't, see the Iranian situation today.

We certainly need more funds for the navy, you can still provide overseas aid just not as much when it comes at the expense of defence
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:
    It'd tell you all you need to know about the state of both so-called main parties if they're not even broad enough coalitions to attract the votes of their former PMs.
    Mind you Bush Snr voted for Hillary in 2016 so it is not unheard of
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    Swinson, Johnson?, ... Watson???

The next GE could be -son-tastic!
  • Options

HYUFD said:

The largest recipient on UK Foreign Aid is Pakistan.

https://fullfact.org/economy/uk-spending-foreign-aid/

We also give many millions to India.

Both Pakistan and India have their own nuclear weapons.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

It isn't, see the Iranian situation today.

We certainly need more funds for the navy, you can still provide overseas aid just not as much when it comes at the expense of defence
    0.7% is in law
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,289
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:
    That analogy does you no credit.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

kle4 said:

TOPPING said:

kle4 said:

TOPPING said:

kle4 said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

Well I hope it does but if so then we will not be getting the 'hardest of hard Brexits'.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

You have a touching belief that democratically elected political parties will prioritise the political interests of sister parties in other countries (which delivers no votes) above the political interests of their own parties in their own countries. Canada has refused to “roll over” CETA because they think they will get a much better deal with the Uk in a bilaterally negotiated treaty. And don’t even start on what America will agree to...
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,289
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

spudgfsh said:

HYUFD said:

spudgfsh said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

Yes, the Brexit Party has taken Tory votes (the Brexit Party beat the Tories in Scotland in the European Parliament elections) and many of those voters may return to voting for a Boris led Tory Party, they will not be tactically voting for Swinson again
    You are not quoting the latest Scottish polling on the matter, for some mysterious reason?
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,644
    kjh said:

HYUFD said:

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

This is cloud cuckooland stuff. I assume you don't run a business? As I posted several days ago I recently retired but my company was only deregistered in June and only shortly before that did I deregister for VAT. So the Govt did not know I was going to cease trading yet in the last 3 years I have received not one word on what I am supposed to do re Brexit yet it would have impacted me considerably.
    I'll give you another real life example of the damage this will cause. In 1993 I was taken on to project manager a bid in Cyprus. It was the final stage head to head for 2 large US companies with European headquarters in UK. It was 3 month project in which each bidder had to build a dummy 3 office branch network and also carry out a large number of technical tests. The demonstration lasted 3 weeks at the end of the development. We won the bid. The initial deal was worth $10m with considerable add on business over the years. The maintenance contract was worth $1m / annum.

The project was a nightmare and during it we needed specialist equipment to be flown out from the UK. It got held up in customs for weeks. I know our opposition had the same issue because I chased customs everyday and on one occasion Cyprus customs got us mixed up (Unusual identical equipment at the same time so an obvious mistake).

Jump forward to now where no such customs problems exist in the EU. You now lose that business to a company located in the EU or you move your European operation to the EU. I can tell you we would have lost because we were on the edge of failure as it was.
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    Often, I hear the LDs scorned by tories and laborites for being uncommitted opportunists and generally wishy-washy. But, unlike the aforementioned, the LDs stance on brexit has been clear from the start. I'd like to see the Greens and LDs take over, starting with this country.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,631

HYUFD said:

The latest commitment by Rory Stewart was £50m towards combatting the spread of Ebola.

Better value than 1/20th of a Type 45, I suspect.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:
    I think you mean Bush junior (actually I think he abstained) and it makes the point beautifully
  • Options

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

kle4 said:

TOPPING said:

kle4 said:

TOPPING said:

kle4 said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

even if the ERG know what is what, leaver-wise, I am afraid you do not. They are not monolithic in view either, and the majority do not take the view you ascribe to them.

Well I hope it does but if so then we will not be getting the 'hardest of hard Brexits'.
    Absolutely. A mere hard brexit is now the warm and cuddly escapes from a no deal brexit.
  • Options
    Toms said:

Often, I hear the LDs scorned by tories and laborites for being uncommitted opportunists and generally wishy-washy. But, unlike the aforementioned, the LDs stance on brexit has been clear from the start. I'd like to see the Greens and LDs take over, starting with this country.

‘Opportunists’... an interesting argument from a party about to select Johnson as their next leader.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

HYUFD said:

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

It's an interesting quirk of the English language these days that when your interlocutor uses the word "respect," whether as noun or verb, it's odds on that you are dealing with a semiliterate arsehole.
    I have decided that there is no point dealing with HYUFD since he is, at least as far as I'm concerned, incapable of understanding plain English words.

These days if I have to deal with "semiliterate arseholes" I tend to ask for a lot of money to do so.

:)
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981

Cyclefree said:

And HYUFD and myself are in the same party would you believe but for how long is debatable
    You have joined the Brexit Party?
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Interesting - the text of the Guardian article below seems suddenly to have gained a new paragraph right after the mention of tory opponents talking of a "national unity" government if he goes for no deal.

"One senior source on Johnson’s transition team said that, as the new Tory leader, he would immediately emphasise “unity” and the need to bring the party and the country back together."
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    Scott_P said:
    Sunny Uplands , believe in Brexit , job done !
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Not in a million years
  • Options
    I’m still yet to hear the reasons why HYUFD voted remain in 2016 since he seems to reject absolutely many of the main arguments put forward by the Remain campaign. I understand that he is a Tory loyalist, and even thinks that the vote must be followed through, but what does he actually believe would be best for the country?
  • Options
    ByronicByronic Posts: 3,578
    Anyone else feeling their first tinge of political optimism, in about three years?

OK, it's just me then. But fuck it. Even if Boris is a disaster he will be amusing (and we are in a disastrous position, anyhow). Also he is smart. He will probably be the smartest, best educated leader in the western world. Which comes as a relief after the national humiliation that was Theresa May, grimacing her awkward way across the world stage, like a mildly electrocuted praying mantis.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Not in a million years
    Then I doubt you and he are in the same party. Mentally, he appears to have moved considerably towards the fringe :)
  • Options
    Toms said:

Problem with the Libdems is that they’ve so much seen their salvation coming from Brexit that they are in danger of being defined as a single issue party.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Not in a million years
    Then I doubt you and he are in the same party. Mentally, he appears to have moved considerably towards the fringe :)
    He has but there are many of us defending the moderate approach. (TM deal was ok)

A no deal exit cuts that umbilical cord
  • Options
    ByronicByronic Posts: 3,578

kinabalu said:

I vote for a set of policies not a person to be The Victor.

This is not Love Island.
    'Stop Brexit': it's enough to secure my vote.
    Why vote for the Lib Dems then? They're the ones who wanted a leave or remain referendum before even Cameron.
    It's 2019.
    Yes, less than a decade since the Lib Dems were campaigning on a manifesto of holding an EU referendum and banging on about tuition fees.
    Less than a decade since the Tories were campaigning on a manifesto of “the big society” and wanting to stop banging on about Europe.
    Once we've exited we can put the EU behind us in the rear view mirror and stop banging on about Europe.

Europe will remain important to us and we will eventually get a trade deal, but it will be a much smaller part of our life.
    Even my most Remoanery friends have reached this stage. Acceptance and resignation, and a desire to Move On beyond Brexit (once it is done).
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,681
    HYUFD said:

spudgfsh said:

HYUFD said:

spudgfsh said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

How do you know that they were tactically voting, rather than pro-Remain, pro-Union converts to the Lib Dem cause? Is the view from Essex that clear?
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,687

Cyclefree said:

Not in a million years
    Hey there! Good to see you back :smile:
  • Options
    Byronic said:

Anyone else feeling their first tinge of political optimism, in about three years?

OK, it's just me then. But fuck it. Even if Boris is a disaster he will be amusing (and we are in a disastrous position, anyhow). Also he is smart. He will probably be the smartest, best educated leader in the western world. Which comes as a relief after the national humiliation that was Theresa May, grimacing her awkward way across the world stage, like a mildly electrocuted praying mantis.

A pale imitation of the lamented SeanT.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited July 2019

Cyclefree said:

You have

Cyclefree said:

Not in a million years
    He has but there are many of us defending the moderate approach. (TM deal was ok)

Odd analogy.

I cut the umbilical cord for both of my daughters at their birth. No regrets.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Not in a million years

But it doesn’t stay no deal does it? It moves on from no deal to a deal not dissimilar to hard brexit, surely? So the main difference between no deal and hard brexit is a couple of months extra chaos (to a degree to be argued over) before both options result in pretty much the same destination?

Explain why I have this wrong, because all those, and I can name you, who big up no deal are in fact making hard brexit deal sound like a compromise, when actually the destination is the same.
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,320
    alex. said:

Toms said:

Problem with the Libdems is that they’ve so much seen their salvation coming from Brexit that they are in danger of being defined as a single issue party.
    Unlike, say, The Brexit Party. Or the Tory Party even.
  • Options
    Byronic said:

kinabalu said:

This is not Love Island.
    Why vote for the Lib Dems then? They're the ones who wanted a leave or remain referendum before even Cameron.
    It's 2019.
    Yes, less than a decade since the Lib Dems were campaigning on a manifesto of holding an EU referendum and banging on about tuition fees.
    Less than a decade since the Tories were campaigning on a manifesto of “the big society” and wanting to stop banging on about Europe.
    Once we've exited we can put the EU behind us in the rear view mirror and stop banging on about Europe.

Europe will remain important to us and we will eventually get a trade deal, but it will be a much smaller part of our life.
    Even my most Remoanery friends have reached this stage. Acceptance and resignation, and a desire to Move On beyond Brexit (once it is done).
    They are obviously not @HYUFD's 'diehard Remainers' :wink:
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,977
    HYUFD said:

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

What? When the Canadians are sitting sweet like that? Able to export tariff free and slap a lucrative tax on imports? You need to listen to the increasingly ranged Liam Fox, who made the exact point today. As Trade Secretary, he is beginning to learn. How long for everyone else?
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    Byronic said:

kinabalu said:

This is not Love Island.
    It's 2019.

Get better friends. The campaign to rejoin starts the day we leave - if the leavers ever work out how to actually leave in the first place.
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,320
    alex. said:

I’m still yet to hear the reasons why HYUFD voted remain in 2016 since he seems to reject absolutely many of the main arguments put forward by the Remain campaign. I understand that he is a Tory loyalist, and even thinks that the vote must be followed through, but what does he actually believe would be best for the country?

Are you wholly discounting the notion that he might be getting paid?
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Byronic said:

kinabalu said:

This is not Love Island.
    It's 2019.

This is wishful thinking, among the population at large, and the polls don't support it.

What they do show is an increasingly polarised desire either to cancel, or to exit with no-deal, in order to get to the aforementioned "getting over it".
  • Options
    ralphmalphralphmalph Posts: 2,201
    kjh said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

ve a shit about the lives of ordinary people.

I'll give you another real life example of the damage this will cause. In 1993 I was taken on to project manager a bid in Cyprus. It was the final stage head to head for 2 large US companies with European headquarters in UK. It was 3 month project in which each bidder had to build a dummy 3 office branch network and also carry out a large number of technical tests. The demonstration lasted 3 weeks at the end of the development. We won the bid. The initial deal was worth $10m with considerable add on business over the years. The maintenance contract was worth $1m / annum.

The project was a nightmare and during it we needed specialist equipment to be flown out from the UK. It got held up in customs for weeks. I know our opposition had the same issue because I chased customs everyday and on one occasion Cyprus customs got us mixed up (Unusual identical equipment at the same time so an obvious mistake).

Jump forward to now where no such customs problems exist in the EU. You now lose that business to a company located in the EU or you move your European operation to the EU. I can tell you we would have lost because we were on the edge of failure as it was.
    Since 1993 customs procedures have been liberalised dramatically and IT systems have done more to speed up the process.

Cyprus was not in the EU in 1993 so it did not have to follow harmonised EU procedures. Nowadays if they had rubbish procedures for customs you could import to another EU country first and then send on to Cyprus.

i thought it was brexiteers that lived in the past.
  • Options
    edited July 2019

You have

Cyclefree said:

Not in a million years

Odd analogy.

I cut the umbilical cord for both of my daughters at their birth. No regrets.

It denotes separation and in no deal, no regrets
  • Options

Byronic said:

kinabalu said:

This is not Love Island.
    It's 2019.

Get better friends. The campaign to rejoin starts the day we leave - if the leavers ever work out how to actually leave in the first place.
    It's a big 'if' that one.
  • Options
    Zephyr said:

Cyclefree said:

Not in a million years

But it doesn’t stay no deal does it? It moves on from no deal to a deal not dissimilar to hard brexit, surely? So the main difference between no deal and hard brexit is a couple of months extra chaos (to a degree to be argued over) before both options result in pretty much the same destination?

Explain why I have this wrong, because all those, and I can name you, who big up no deal are in fact making hard brexit deal sound like a compromise, when actually the destination is the same.
    Hang on.

I do not big up no deal, I am appalled at the economic armageddon it would cause

My position has always been TM deal or similar
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,081
    So will Hammond resign tomorrow or on Wednesday?
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,977
    alex. said:

That, at all costs, and under all circumstances, the Conservative Party should be in power. If they promised to seize the commanding heights of the economy for the workers Soviet, he'd be cheering it on.
  • Options
    alex. said:

Toms said:

I would like to know what the Lib Dems big retail offer to the electorate that is not B2B.

I do not have a clue and I follow politics.
  • Options
    StreeterStreeter Posts: 684

alex. said:

Well he certainly doesn’t have time to do any other paid work, he squats on here 24/7.
  • Options

So will Hammond resign tomorrow or on Wednesday?

Wednesday
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Not in a million years
    Hey there! Good to see you back :smile:
    Thanks. I only returned to join in the jollifications for the coronation of the Blond Buffoon. I imagine his acceptance speech will be remembered for decades ...

Phwoar! Yes! Well! Blimey! Crikey! Err... Yes!!

Absolutely!!!!
  • Options
    edited July 2019

alex. said:

Toms said:

Unlike, say, The Brexit Party. Or the Tory Party even.
    I am perfectly happy to dismiss the Brexit Party as a single issue Party. And the current Tory party as a basket case that has forgotten what being a “party of government” under FPTP requires. When I am talking about the “ the danger” for the Lib Dem’s I am genuinely talking about them aspiring to be a party of Govt. why restrict your ambitions to preventing Brexit when there is such a gaping hole opening up as offering a sane alternative as a party of govt?
  • Options
    Streeter said:

alex. said:

Well he certainly doesn’t have time to do any other paid work, he squats on here 24/7.
    Maybe he's a lawyer and is posting here while billing his time to someone else :wink:
  • Options

Zephyr said:

Cyclefree said:

Not in a million years

Hang on.

I do not big up no deal, I am appalled at the economic armageddon it would cause

My position has always been TM deal or similar
    Armageddon - "a dramatic and catastrophic conflict, especially one seen as likely to destroy the world or the human race."

Those ERGers they are the extremists.
This discussion has been closed.