Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Jo Swinson wins the LD leadership contest

Comments

• Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,993
    IanB2 said:

malcolmg said:

Pulpstar said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Swinson! a bit of a thrashing (she clearly got the vagina vote)(First women liberal/sdp leader!)

I think her soft Scottish accent should play well. It did no favours to Gordon Brown; but I don't really think she's in contendership to be next PM so should be fine.

Good Luck LDs! I agree with most of your policies except your central one.

Scottish accent my arse, she has spent her entire life in Bath and the carpetbagger visits Scotland once in a blue moon.
    she has spent her entire life in Bath and the carpetbagger visits Scotland once in a blue moon

have you got the right one malc ? Youre getting mixed up up with Rev Stuart campbell. :smiley:
    LOL, Allan he only moved there as an adult and is able to give real facts , she has been there since just after birth and is a stranger to the truth.
    She went to school in Milngavie ?
    Tory git
    PS: Her not you
    Your posts when you are not rolling with laughter must be something to behold.
    Ian, whilst being modest , I am sure you have seen my genius in previous verbage.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079
    @bigjohnowls is rattled
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,012
    Clear win in the end for Swinson and congratulations to her.

She is probably more likely to appeal to Labour Remainers than Davey would have been, as a former Minister in the Coalition he probably appealed more to Tory Remainers, though not much difference either way.

Chuka Umunna looks a good bet as her successor if he wins his Streatham seat for the LDs at the next general election
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,769
    malcolmg said:

IanB2 said:

theakes said:

Wow reading through some of the comments about the new Lib Dem leader it looks as if she has already ruffled feathers and produced serious anxiety into the SNP and right wing of the Blue ranks.

Yep, #Jomentum is on the roll...
    Jo Swinson CV

• Warned against rises in Minimum Wage
    • Called for a statue to pay Tribute to Thatcher
    • Defended Tory Tribunal Fees
    • Scrapped EMA
    • Cut Disability Payments
    • Backed Bedroom Tax
    • Tripled Tuition Fees
    • Voted to bomb several Muslim Countries
    • Backed Austerity

Just your regular Liberal Democrat, really
    Even nastier than the Tories, unbelievable
    Scottish politics must be quite weird if posters on here are representative. NI politics seems simpler and that is bonkers.
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    Great news re the UK sticking with the EU on Iran .

Trump and his equally vile Bolton’s attempts to drag the UK into their stupid war game will hopefully fail .
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,315
    edited July 2019
    Cicero said:

malcolmg said:

Swinson! a bit of a thrashing (she clearly got the vagina vote)(First women liberal/sdp leader!)

I think her soft Scottish accent should play well. It did no favours to Gordon Brown; but I don't really think she's in contendership to be next PM so should be fine.

Scottish accent my arse, she has spent her entire life in Bath and the carpetbagger visits Scotland once in a blue moon.
    Jesus you are something else Malcy... The true face of open-hearted civic nationalism, and you know what- this drunken uncle stuff bores the arse of more and more folk, even in Scotland. So feel free to let rip with graceless, charmless shite and watch the SNP fade into hurrumphing despair as they fall to bits.

Malc and I are on the opposite sides. He is a Scots nat, my Scottish wife and I are 100% for the union but I have a great repartee with Malc because he is one of the best wind up merchants on here

The SNP are not going going to fall to bits and at present their future is bright, though I do not see a second referendum win in the near future
  • Options
    edited July 2019

malcolmg said:

IanB2 said:

theakes said:

Wow reading through some of the comments about the new Lib Dem leader it looks as if she has already ruffled feathers and produced serious anxiety into the SNP and right wing of the Blue ranks.

Jo Swinson CV

• Scrapped EMA
    • Backed Bedroom Tax
    • Tripled Tuition Fees
    • Backed Austerity

Scottish politics must be quite weird if posters on here are representative. NI politics seems simpler and that is bonkers.
    Complex is the word you are searching for.
    PS: If you just think , one very popular Scottish party and then a gaggle of rubbish sock puppet small groups run from London , you will be very close
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    HYUFD said:

She is probably more likely to appeal to Labour Remainers than Davey would have been, as a former Minister in the Coalition he probably appealed more to Tory Remainers, though not much difference either way.

Chuka Umunna looks a good bet as her successor if he wins his Streatham seat for the LDs at the next general election

That's a very Spartan "If" I think.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,148
    malcolmg said:

DougSeal said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

she has spent her entire life in Bath and the carpetbagger visits Scotland once in a blue moon

have you got the right one malc ? Youre getting mixed up up with Rev Stuart campbell. :smiley:
    LOL, Allan he only moved there as an adult and is able to give real facts , she has been there since just after birth and is a stranger to the truth.
    Stranger to the truth? Given she was educated at Douglas Academy, of Milngavie, East Dunbartonshire rather than Bath, Somerset (as any cursory check of her biography will tell you) and only moved to England to go to the LSE when she was 18, I think you need to look in the mirror for a stranger to the truth. Stuart Campbell has been there far longer than she has.
    She has still spent most of her life in Bath, what is a few years out. She is a fanny of the first order in any case, hopefully her arse will be out in next election. That would be a laugh.
    She was born in 1980, making her 39, and, as I have said, she spent the first 18 years of her life in Scotland, then a further 3 in London, taking her to age 21, so at least 54% of her life has been spent outside Bath already.

Stuart Campbell, on the other hand, is 51. He moved to Bath in 1991, 28 years ago, to work for ‘Amiga Power’ magazine and has remained there ever since. Stuart Campbell has thus spent some 55% of his life in Bath.

So nearly every factual assertion you have made here is untrue.

Well done!
  • Options
    surbiton19surbiton19 Posts: 1,469
    HYUFD said:

Chuka is going for Twickenham
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    eek said:

eek said:

Congratulations to Jo Swinson and while I do not know anything about her I do wish her well

Boris is about to enter no 10, and it fills me with great concern, but the actions of Duncan today were uncalled for and pathetic. The time for vonc will be Sept/Oct when matters may well be clearer

And where is Tom Watson today on the conviction of Carl Beech.

His actions played a huge part in condemning innocent men and he did it for political motives.

Shameful

Surely the time for action is now when we could have a general election and still have enough time to implement the end result if it was a No Deal Tory party win...

If you wait to September exactly how do you hold a VoNC that doesn't result in an accidental No Deal screw up...
    I do not see it that way

I do not support Boris but he has to be given a chance to get a deal with the EU no matter how unlikely that is
    So Boris doesn't get a deal (very likely since the EU can't really make decisions until November 1st when the new leadership officially takes over). How do you avoid No Deal destroying the Tory party and the union....
    Maybe May shouldn't have wasted all the time we had leaving none left for a new leader.

Funny seeing people who backed May months sticking around months ago or last December now panicking about the future.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

IanB2 said:

theakes said:

Jo Swinson CV

• Scrapped EMA
    • Backed Bedroom Tax
    • Tripled Tuition Fees
    • Backed Austerity

I do think Scottish politics is pretty weird. I'm more of a westmister fan myself - so don't bother with the tedium of the dreaded Scottish sub-sample or FMQs. It's Semi-autonomous after all.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,074

malcolmg said:

IanB2 said:

theakes said:

Jo Swinson CV

• Scrapped EMA
    • Backed Bedroom Tax
    • Tripled Tuition Fees
    • Backed Austerity

I do think Scottish politics is pretty weird. I'm more of a westmister fan myself - so don't bother with the tedium of the dreaded Scottish sub-sample or FMQs. It's Semi-autonomous after all.
    Why were you denied a vote in the referendum?
  • Options

Cicero said:

malcolmg said:

Jesus you are something else Malcy... The true face of open-hearted civic nationalism, and you know what- this drunken uncle stuff bores the arse of more and more folk, even in Scotland. So feel free to let rip with graceless, charmless shite and watch the SNP fade into hurrumphing despair as they fall to bits.
    Malc and I are on the opposite sides. He is a Scots nat, my Scottish wife and I are 100% for the union but I have a great repartee with Malc because he is one of the best wind up merchants on here

The SNP are not going going to fall to bits and at present their future is bright, though I do not see a second referendum win in the near future

Thank you for those kind words G, not many on here are as prescient as your good self. I hope you and your good lady are in the pink.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

I didn't know he was having gender reassignment surgery.

Twickenham will likely be an all woman shortlist as retiring MP. And Chuka will stick with Streatham, where he has a very good chance of winning.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Cicero said:

malcolmg said:

Thank you for those kind words G, not many on here are as prescient as your good self. I hope you and your good lady are in the pink.

Thanks Malc - indeed we are
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    DougSeal said:

malcolmg said:

DougSeal said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Stranger to the truth? Given she was educated at Douglas Academy, of Milngavie, East Dunbartonshire rather than Bath, Somerset (as any cursory check of her biography will tell you) and only moved to England to go to the LSE when she was 18, I think you need to look in the mirror for a stranger to the truth. Stuart Campbell has been there far longer than she has.
    She has still spent most of her life in Bath, what is a few years out. She is a fanny of the first order in any case, hopefully her arse will be out in next election. That would be a laugh.
    She was born in 1980, making her 39, and, as I have said, she spent the first 18 years of her life in Scotland, then a further 3 in London, taking her to age 21, so at least 54% of her life has been spent outside Bath already.

Stuart Campbell, on the other hand, is 51. He moved to Bath in 1991, 28 years ago, to work for ‘Amiga Power’ magazine and has remained there ever since. Stuart Campbell has thus spent some 55% of his life in Bath.

Well done!
    Who ever said it was factual , I merely mentioned that she has spent most of her life outside Scotland and does not have a Scottish accent.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

IanB2 said:

theakes said:

Jo Swinson CV

• Scrapped EMA
    • Backed Bedroom Tax
    • Tripled Tuition Fees
    • Backed Austerity

PS: If you just think , one very popular Scottish party and then a gaggle of rubbish sock puppet small groups run from London , you will be very close
    "Complex" lol - you're as bad as that nationalist apologiser Curtice and his "sophisticated Scottish electorate"
  • Options
    nico67 said:

Trump and his equally vile Bolton’s attempts to drag the UK into their stupid war game will hopefully fail .

Indeed
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,285

HYUFD said:

He’s not eligible?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Twickenham will likely be an all woman shortlist as retiring MP. And Chuka will stick with Streatham, where he has a very good chance of winning.
    I didn't realise LDs had AWS?
  • Options

malcolmg said:

IanB2 said:

theakes said:

Jo Swinson CV

• Scrapped EMA
    • Backed Bedroom Tax
    • Tripled Tuition Fees
    • Backed Austerity

What is this Brisky question time again? Ask something interesting.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

IanB2 said:

theakes said:

Jo Swinson CV

• Scrapped EMA
    • Backed Bedroom Tax
    • Tripled Tuition Fees
    • Backed Austerity

He has to look up Wikipedia to see how to spell Scotland
  • Options
    madmacs said:

Kept up me dubious record of always voting for the winner today. Didn't really mind whether Jo or Ed won but good to have a female leader. Am pleased the Tories will make the wrong choice tomorrow. Some months back met several middle ranking FCO staff and their thoughts on Bo-Jo were, being polite, uncomplimentary, the opposite for Jeremy Hunt. Guess backed up by Alan Duncan today.

Middle ranking FCO staff will almost all be diehard Remainers so no surprise there
  • Options

HYUFD said:

I didn't realise LDs had AWS?
    They did for the last election. Don't think it's confirmed for the next yet, but seems quite likely.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,871

HYUFD said:

Very good chance my arse.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

madmacs said:

Kept up me dubious record of always voting for the winner today. Didn't really mind whether Jo or Ed won but good to have a female leader. Am pleased the Tories will make the wrong choice tomorrow. Some months back met several middle ranking FCO staff and their thoughts on Bo-Jo were, being polite, uncomplimentary, the opposite for Jeremy Hunt. Guess backed up by Alan Duncan today.

Middle ranking FCO staff will almost all be diehard Remainers so no surprise there
    Have you ever posted anything on here that does not contain the words “diehard remainers”?
  • Options
    OnboardG1OnboardG1 Posts: 1,282
    nico67 said:

I noticed that. I think it's some smart diplomacy from Hunt. Buy some goodwill in Brussels by making this a pan-European effort and send a warning to the US that we're not interested in being pushed into conflict by Pompous and Boltneck. Of course, Johnson might wreck all of that by firing Hunt and putting someone utterly hopeless in charge of the FCO because he's salty that Hunt actually pressed him in the Leadership campaign.
  • Options
    edited July 2019

Would be amusing if some of the 28% of East Dunbartonshire voters who backed brexit held their noses and voted SNP to decapitate the most overtly remain UK wide party. Pure fantasy of course but would be interesting!

John Nicolson has suggested he may try and regain the seat he lost to Swinson last time.

He is quite an amiable chap for a Nat and I suspect given the choice between him and Swinson some Tories who tactically voted LD last time against the SNP will go back to the Tories or vote Brexit Party given how anti Brexit Swinson has become
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

madmacs said:

The impartial civil service seems rather partial to the EU.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,977
    Liam Fox with yet another outburst of swivel-eyed common sense and nuance. Canada not interested in trade deal roll over, because terms under No Deal simply too good for them.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

madmacs said:

Have you ever posted anything on here that does not contain the words “diehard remainers”?
    Yes he has, thousands of times.

But his conversion to the cult of Boris has seen the introduction of 'diehard' as a form of insult to those holding less extreme brexit views
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,796
    I see some online already trying to work in their favourite hate figure, Thatcher, in attacks on Swinson. My gods Thatcher hatred is matched in its tiresomeness only by Thatcher worship.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

madmacs said:

Yes
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

DougSeal said:

malcolmg said:

DougSeal said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Well done!
    Who ever said it was factual , I merely mentioned that she has spent most of her life outside Scotland and does not have a Scottish accent.
    I’m quoting you directly here -

“spent here entire life outside Scotland”

“she has been there [Bath] since birth”

“She has still spent most of her life in Bath...”

All of which are untrue. And you didn’t mention her accent.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Very good chance my arse.
    FWIW very good to see you back. Hope you're OK
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Would be amusing if some of the 28% of East Dunbartonshire voters who backed brexit held their noses and voted SNP to decapitate the most overtly remain UK wide party. Pure fantasy of course but would be interesting!

John Nicolson has suggested he may try and regain the seat he lost to Swinson last time.

He is quite an amiable chap for a Nat and I suspect given the choice between him and Swinson some Tories who tactically voted LD last time against the SNP will go back to the Tories or vote Brexit Party given how anti Brexit Swinson has become
    What a patronising comment
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Scott_P said:
    Oh god @TheJezziah will have to clean down his memory and reboot. Is that smoke I can see over Islington right now?
    Corbyn (or his spokespeople at the least) has said multiple times before that he does not think all reports of anti-semitism are a smear or about attacking him. The new statement is therefore not much of a change. It never stopped those who do think it is all a smear from saying so before and presumably won't now, nor would his words sway the hardcore doubters.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

theakes said:

Jo Swinson CV

• Scrapped EMA
    • Backed Bedroom Tax
    • Tripled Tuition Fees
    • Backed Austerity

Isn’t that pretty much the same list thrown at Labour's own MPs by their friends on the left?
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,871

Jo Swinson CV

Hmm, that is so misleading as to be a very, very big lie.

Iraq Libya and Syria arent Muslim Countries?

On 26 Sep 2014:
    Jo Swinson voted for UK air strikes in Iraq to support Iraqi forces'

On 29 Aug 2013:
    Jo Swinson voted against requiring conditions be fulfilled, including a vote of the UN Security Council before any military action involving UK forces in response to the use of chemical weapons in Syria.

On 21 Mar 2011:
    Jo Swinson voted to support the establishment of a no-fly zone in Libya.

• Options
    DougSeal said:

malcolmg said:

DougSeal said:

malcolmg said:

DougSeal said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Well done!

You have a crush on her don't you
  • Options
    edited July 2019

HYUFD said:

Yes, the LDs beat Labour comfortably in Lambeth (containing Streatham) in the European Parliament elections to top the poll and Chuka is a popular local MP
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Yorkcity said:

JackW said:

Jo Swinson channeling her inner David Steel .....

Mk II - Return to your constituencies and prepare for government.

Hhhhmmm .....

"A candidate for prime minister " she said.
    No half measures.
    So no manifesto openly pitching to be the largest opposition next time then? As the 2017 one did (though not all of its contents realised it).
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929

HYUFD said:

The analysis might not be correct but I don't see what is patronising about the comment.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483

IanB2 said:

rcs1000 said:

Shit turnout though

More than 70% of LD members voted. I think that's pretty high.
    Especially for an online only ballot.
    Jo Swinson was elected by the Russian botfarms- you heard it here first
    70% shouldn't be high. We are talking about party activists here who pump leaflets though doors - come out and vote dawn to dusk.

Now some will be senile and some will be dead. Some will be genuinely conflicted I suppose. Is there much of an issue with double membership or double counting of membership in the LDs ?

There certainly WAS in the Tory party but the new system must have cleaned most of that out.
    It'd certainly be wonderful if 70% of Lib Dem members were activists pumping leaflets through doors. In my local party I'd say that fewer than 10% of our members could be called activists if leafleting and campaigning are the measuring stick. :)
    100 votes in a local election should give you one member twenty members will give you a leaflet distributer and ten leaflet pushers give you a candidate
  • Options

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

madmacs said:

But his conversion to the cult of Boris has seen the introduction of 'diehard' as a form of insult to those holding less extreme brexit views
    If you opposed the Withdrawal Agreement and oppose No Deal you are a diehard Remainer
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

malcolmg said:

DougSeal said:

malcolmg said:

DougSeal said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Well done!

she has spent more than half outside Scotland

She was pretty childish so took a while to grow up

TRUE

Also TRUE
  • Options
    franklynfranklyn Posts: 297
    As the late PGWodehouse once wrote " It's not hard to tell the difference between a ray of sunshine and a Scotsman with a grievance"
    Some posters on this site from North Britain seem to remind me of his words; I wonder why.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

I see some online already trying to work in their favourite hate figure, Thatcher, in attacks on Swinson. My gods Thatcher hatred is matched in its tiresomeness only by Thatcher worship.

The Sainted Blessed Margaret please
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,035

Jo Swinson CV

On 26 Sep 2014:

On 29 Aug 2013:
    Jo Swinson voted against requiring conditions be fulfilled, including a vote of the UN Security Council before any military action involving UK forces in response to the use of chemical weapons in Syria.

On 21 Mar 2011:

1980-2019:
    Corbyn supports terrorists and murderers everywhere.
    And anti-Semites. He loves anti-Semites.

I bet he also loves those who continually excuse and deny anti-Semitism as well - at least when it's by one of the faithful. ;)
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

DougSeal said:

malcolmg said:

DougSeal said:

malcolmg said:

DougSeal said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Well done!

No. You know you’re the only one for me. Your incredible sexual magnetism is what keeps me coming back to PB.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Come on KLE , what kind of moron would suggest a statue to Margaret Thatcher. oops Swinson, I rest my case.
  • Options
    Civic nationalism folks - be grateful you don't have to live up here.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

theakes said:

Jo Swinson CV

• Scrapped EMA
    • Backed Bedroom Tax
    • Tripled Tuition Fees
    • Backed Austerity

Isn’t that pretty much the same list thrown at Labour's own MPs by their friends on the left?
    Well it is certainly the CV of a willing Tory Little Helper! I am sure Labour will make good use of it.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079
    HYUFD said:

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

madmacs said:

If you opposed the Withdrawal Agreement and oppose No Deal you are a diehard Remainer
    You say that like it’s a bad thing?

Remain is so hot right now.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

IanB2 said:

theakes said:

Jo Swinson CV

• Scrapped EMA
    • Backed Bedroom Tax
    • Tripled Tuition Fees
    • Backed Austerity

"Complex" lol - you're as bad as that nationalist apologiser Curtice and his "sophisticated Scottish electorate"
    Brisket, where outside Scotland do you post from and what made you so bitter about Scotland.
  • Options

Jo Swinson CV

On 26 Sep 2014:

On 29 Aug 2013:

On 21 Mar 2011:

So you have a no fly zone that was done after the UN authorised force to end an atrocity.

Strikes in Iraq supporting the Iraqi government against IS terrorists.

And possible action following the verified use of chemical weapons against their own citizens.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Says who?
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

IanB2 said:

theakes said:

Jo Swinson CV

• Scrapped EMA
    • Backed Bedroom Tax
    • Tripled Tuition Fees
    • Backed Austerity

Brisket, where outside Scotland do you post from and what made you so bitter about Scotland.
    Lol - I've very much in Aberdeen. And yes I perhaps am a bit anti-Scots - you'd have to ask my psychiatrist about that.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    DougSeal said:

malcolmg said:

DougSeal said:

malcolmg said:

DougSeal said:

malcolmg said:

DougSeal said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Well done!

No. You know you’re the only one for me. Your incredible sexual magnetism is what keeps me coming back to PB.
    Now you have me worried, hopefully you are of the female persuasion and have all your own teeth and hair.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    malcolmg said:

kle4 said:

Come on KLE , what kind of moron would suggest a statue to Margaret Thatcher. oops Swinson, I rest my case.
    Being so angry at a politician who left office near 30 years ago to the point of being angry at the suggestion of a statue of her as the first female PM just seems very strange to me.

I kind of get why people who cut their teeth on politics in the 80s would get emotional over the subject, but not in how they react like it happened yesterday, but it is the millenials who get so worked up about it that get my goat. The reverse happens too - I swear an acquaintance of mine nearly fainted with shock when I said I didn't give two craps about Thatcher, as theyh are a big fan.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

kle4 said:

Anyone who wanted to recognise the first female PM.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

DougSeal said:

malcolmg said:

DougSeal said:

malcolmg said:

DougSeal said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

She has remained there ever since. Stuart Campbell has thus spent some 55% of his life in Bath.

Well done!

TRUE

Also TRUE
    I guess a party leader with a Scottish background presents a bit of a threat, eh Malc? After all, Scottish Labour is clearly down and out, and the Tories’ Scottish recovery finished now the great Bozo is about to walk into number ten. Did the SNP really expect to be able to keep all of Scotland to itself?
  • Options
    justin124 said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

theakes said:

Jo Swinson CV

• Scrapped EMA
    • Backed Bedroom Tax
    • Tripled Tuition Fees
    • Backed Austerity

Well it is certainly the CV of a willing Tory Little Helper! I am sure Labour will make good use of it.
    No danger of it happening again, the LDs would run a mile from helping the Tories in any capacity ever again in living memory.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

The Sainted Blessed Margaret please
    Amen
  • Options
    franklyn said:

As the late PGWodehouse once wrote " It's not hard to tell the difference between a ray of sunshine and a Scotsman with a grievance"
    Some posters on this site from North Britain seem to remind me of his words; I wonder why.

Mr Sense of Humour Bypass arrives on the scene.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,313

IanB2 said:

theakes said:

Jo Swinson CV

• Scrapped EMA
    • Backed Bedroom Tax
    • Tripled Tuition Fees
    • Backed Austerity

She's growing on me.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

At last the right spelling for his brand of Nicolson I prefer the correct spelling nicho
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

madmacs said:

Perhaps. But if you oppose remaining and oppose the WA, or any WA that might theoretically occur, you are are a diehard Brexiteer. They now hold the whip hand over Boris, and diehard anythings are blinkered fools.
  • Options
    MarxMarx Posts: 28
    IanB2 said:

Marx said:

Two party leaders in constituencies with small majorities? Both targets by different parties. Labour on Johnson, and the SNP on Swinson. Very small swings and they're gone. Could the Tories and the LibDems persuade MP's in safe seats to stand down before the Commons and electorate notice or would new leaders have to be in place, even on a temporary basis. With the next GE almost certainly in October, this is looking like good betting opportunities.

The LD poll rating is somewhere between double and treble that of the last GE. And the Tories have just chosen a leader toxic in Scotland. She’ll be safe. Even without the usual leader premium; people like being represented by someone prominent.
    The SNP are still very strong in the area and with a possible decapitation of a LibDem leader who could bolster support against the SNP hegemony more than makes her a legitimate target in their eyes. Local politics can be pretty vicious, but in working to retain her seat, how much time and effort will she be able to give to the national campaign. Even flooding the constituency with LibDem activists will weaken the constituencies they already hold. The LibDems don't have the workers on the ground or more pointedly, the money
  • Options
    kle4 said:

malcolmg said:

kle4 said:

Being so angry at a politician who left office near 30 years ago to the point of being angry at the suggestion of a statue of her as the first female PM just seems very strange to me.

I kind of get why people who cut their teeth on politics in the 80s would get emotional over the subject, but not in how they react like it happened yesterday, but it is the millenials who get so worked up about it that get my goat. The reverse happens too - I swear an acquaintance of mine nearly fainted with shock when I said I didn't give two craps about Thatcher, as theyh are a big fan.
    True, but us oldies don't forget
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

madmacs said:

So absurd and beyond parody that it isn’t worth wasting time on.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,255
    IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

theakes said:

Jo Swinson CV

• Scrapped EMA
    • Backed Bedroom Tax
    • Tripled Tuition Fees
    • Backed Austerity

https://twitter.com/DPJHodges/status/1153346566348058634
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    The next Foreign Secretary will get right on that.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

I think you’ll find that your hero Bozo the clown will have the opposite effect on your vote north of the border.
  • Options

Gosh. Lucky no other party’s outriders would jump on criticism like that

https://twitter.com/OwenJones84/status/1153341646530121728?s=20

The messenger is clearly not ideal, and it's fair to question his motivation, but it is not entirely unreasonable to note that people often paint their messiah being criticised by opponents as a sign that said opponents fear them or are rattled. Sometimes it is true, but oftentimes its nonsense.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

IanB2 said:

theakes said:

Jo Swinson CV

• Scrapped EMA
    • Backed Bedroom Tax
    • Tripled Tuition Fees
    • Backed Austerity

Lol - I've very much in Aberdeen. And yes I perhaps am a bit anti-Scots - you'd have to ask my psychiatrist about that.
    I might have guessed it "A Loon", say no more. Fou's yer dous
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

I think you’ll find that your hero Bozo the clown will have the opposite effect on your vote north of the border.
    Given the Brexit Party were second in Scotland and the Tories 4th in the European Parliament elections even in Scotland I expect a Tory Boris bounce
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Scott_P said:
    The next Foreign Secretary will get right on that.
    Sounds very much as if Hunt is using his last two days to make a statement or two.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

kle4 said:

malcolmg said:

kle4 said:

True, but us oldies don't forget
    At least you fogies lived it - if some spotty teenager tries to whine about Thatcher I may lose it.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

Given the Brexit Party were second in Scotland and the Tories 4th in the European Parliament elections even in Scotland I expect a Tory Boris bounce
    Another keeper.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,680

Jo Swinson CV

On 26 Sep 2014:

On 29 Aug 2013:

On 21 Mar 2011:

Surely the first was at the request of that Muslim countries government, and the other two about trying to stop governments bombing their own people?

Not that I think that we should have done any of these things. The less we have to do with the Middle East the better.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Nope. If you voted remain and supported the WA you are a diehard remainer.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

malcolmg said:

DougSeal said:

malcolmg said:

DougSeal said:

malcolmg said:

DougSeal said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

SNIP

She has remained there ever since. Stuart Campbell has thus spent some 55% of his life in Bath.

Well done!

TRUE

Also TRUE
    I guess a party leader with a Scottish background presents a bit of a threat, eh Malc? After all, Scottish Labour is clearly down and out, and the Tories’ Scottish recovery finished now the great Bozo is about to walk into number ten. Did the SNP really expect to be able to keep all of Scotland to itself?
    We shall Ian and for sure Swinson will cut no ice up North, the Lib Dems are also rans there and will remain so.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

Nope, as the Withdrawal Agreement by definition took us out of the EU as does No Deal
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

The analysis might not be correct but I don't see what is patronising about the comment.
    Quite 'an amiable chap for a Nat'
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

IanB2 said:

theakes said:

Jo Swinson CV

• Scrapped EMA
    • Backed Bedroom Tax
    • Tripled Tuition Fees
    • Backed Austerity

I might have guessed it "A Loon", say no more. Fou's yer dous
    aye peckin' (ironically I had to ask the posh Ms Brisk for the correct response)
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

Just like being 10th at School sports means little , getting a consolation booby prize MEP is very similar. Tories only get places when they are given out as consolation prizes. They will not have their little Labour helpers next time, those bozo's have realised how dumb they were helping them yet again and are unlikely to be just so dumb again.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Which does underline how dumb and foolish the LibDem selection rules are, as well as being discriminatory. Rules intended to make the party more diverse might end up blocking the path to the party’s first black MP, when we have a good batch of women already.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    I love it when party hacks seek out the angriest or most sinister images of their opponents they can, it's always a good laugh. I wonder how often the Tories will use that great one of Corbyn.

Also, she 'doesn't want you know'? I know most LDs prefer to treat the Coalition as though it never existed, but for crying out loud her involvement is public record, she is not hiding anything.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    malcolmg said:

Now you have me worried, hopefully you are of the female persuasion and have all your own teeth and hair.

Yes, he owns his hair and teeth. All paid for....
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

Nope, as the Withdrawal Agreement by definition took us out of the EU as does No Deal
    The ERG opposed the WA. They know what's what leaver-wise. You are a diehard remainer. Deal with it.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

IanB2 said:

malcolmg said:

DougSeal said:

malcolmg said:

DougSeal said:

malcolmg said:

DougSeal said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

SNIP

Well done!

TRUE

Also TRUE
    We shall Ian and for sure Swinson will cut no ice up North, the Lib Dems are also rans there and will remain so.
    Second to the SNP will do us fine.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,680
    HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

Given the existential threat of Brexit for the United Kingdom, and No Deal Brexit in particular, I suspect that Scottish Tories will not be Boris fans. It would be interesting to see the regional breakdown of the Tory votes, but I suspect that is not for public consumption.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,983
    kle4 said:

I love it when party hacks seek out the angriest or most sinister images of their opponents they can, it's always a good laugh. I wonder how often the Tories will use that great one of Corbyn.

Also, she 'doesn't want you know'? I know most LDs prefer to treat the Coalition as though it never existed, but for crying out loud her involvement is public record, she is not hiding anything.
    I suspect it means Jo has more experience in Government than anyone on Labour's front bench.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

malcolmg said:

IanB2 said:

malcolmg said:

DougSeal said:

malcolmg said:

DougSeal said:

malcolmg said:

DougSeal said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

SNIP

SNIP

Well done!

TRUE

Also TRUE
    Second to the SNP will do us fine.
    well given the state of the others there has to be a chance , but Willie is a deadweight and no idea of the names of any of the others so not exactly brimming with talent up here.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Yes, he owns his hair and teeth. All paid for....
    Very concerning then , but understandable given my dashing good looks.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

The ERG opposed the WA. They know what's what leaver-wise. You are a diehard remainer. Deal with it.
    The ERG did not oppose the WA, not in the end. The majority of the ERG voted for the WA. We know this because while the numbers are not precise there are generally said to be around 70+ MPs in the ERG, and far fewer than that opposed it at MV3, and some of those opposed to the WA were the Grievers.

So even if the ERG know what is what, leaver-wise, I am afraid you do not. The ERG are not monolithic in view either, and the majority do not take the view you ascribe to them. And it is deeply unreasonable to the spartan holdouts to pretend that they represent the entire view of leavers when this is self evidently not the case.

I do however think those spartans are closest to what Tory members want.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,255
    kle4 said:

Aren't there going to be many voters who now see the Coalition as a stable oasis of calm and measured government compared to the shitfest of last three years?
This discussion has been closed.