Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Jo Swinson wins the LD leadership contest

Comments

• Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    rcs1000 said:

Shit turnout though

More than 70% of LD members voted. I think that's pretty high.
    It is. Turnout can never be 100 as there will always be duplicated entries, the dead etc on the list.

First election after we got married my wife received two electoral polling cards. One in her maiden name and one in her married name. When we voted both names were on the list. Of course she voted once only if she had done so twice it would have been illegal but turnout officially in our house was 66% when 100% in reality had voted.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

rcs1000 said:

Shit turnout though

Especially for an online only ballot.
    Jo Swinson was elected by the Russian botfarms- you heard it here first
    70% shouldn't be high. We are talking about party activists here who pump leaflets though doors - come out and vote dawn to dusk.

Now some will be senile and some will be dead. Some will be genuinely conflicted I suppose. Is there much of an issue with double membership or double counting of membership in the LDs ?

There certainly WAS in the Tory party but the new system must have cleaned most of that out.
  • Options
    Chris said:

Swinson 47900 63.1pc
    Davey 28021 36.9pc

(via Sky)

The BBC reported it as 65%. Quite accurate for the BBC.
    I'm sure mike's thread header , as well as switching pics a bit, started at 63 before dropping to 62
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,249

If Raab is made the new foreign secretary, how many months before he says "actually I have just realised, the Straights of Hormuz are a very important shipping lane?"

If he really is Hyufd under a false flag, he'll try rerouting the tankers via South Africa.
  • Options
    tpfkartpfkar Posts: 1,546
    Lib Dems claiming 200 new members during Jo Swinson's acceptance speech alone
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,283

IanB2 said:

rcs1000 said:

Shit turnout though

70% shouldn't be high. We are talking about party activists here who pump leaflets though doors - come out and vote dawn to dusk.

Now some will be senile and some will be dead. Some will be genuinely conflicted I suppose. Is there much of an issue with double membership or double counting of membership in the LDs ?

There certainly WAS in the Tory party but the new system must have cleaned most of that out.
    Have you ever tried to maintain an email mailing list?
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,001
    Brom said:

stodge said:

Afternoon all :)

As usual, one or two of the usual "the LDs have got it wrong, If only they'd chosen the other candidate" and other such piffle from those who wouldn't vote for the LDs in a million years.

I'm quite happy with Jo as leader even though I voted for Ed and I'm delighted by the turnout and voting numbers. Compared with 2007, more voted for Jo than for NIck Clegg and Chris Huhne combined.

Obviously, I'll tell all the Conservatives they got it wrong on Wednesday when Boris wins - actually, I won't need to as there'll be plenty of Conservatives who'll do that for me.

It's fair criticism, I don't think those criticising the Tories for electing Boris should shut up just because they'll never vote Tory. Ultimately the Lib Dems aim should be to help form a government and can anyone imagine Swinson in a senior post doing a better job than Davey?
    Yes, I could imagine it.

Mind you, I have a pretty fertile imagination.
  • Options
    JohnLoonyJohnLoony Posts: 1,790

JohnLoony said:

Great ! What are the numbers then ?

Nobody yet knows the numbers because (a) that stupid cow Sal Brinton didn't repeat the figures which were drowned out by the cheering, and (b) the stupid morons were cheering in the first place.

All over the country, millions of ordinary normal decent anoraks and psephologists were listening to the declaration and writing down the numbers, but were sabotaged by a few dozen reckless haphazard ramshackle impertinent disrespectful disruptive booliaks who somehow thought that squawking like morons and drowning out the numbers in order to express their support for the winning candidate was somehow more important than finding out the actual numbers.
    I posted the numbers-

Swinson 47900 63.1pc
    Davey 28021 36.9pc

(via Sky)

Those are not the numbers. While I was typing my earlier comment, the figures were not yet known. They only became known after I had posted my comment. We now know that the figure was 47,997 - but we only know that because the BBC subtitles eventually told us, not because Baroness Brinton told us. It was her job to declare the result, but she completely failed to do so because she did not even attempt to repeat the figures which had been drowned out by cheering.

• Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,976

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

crandles said:

What happens if T May says something like: "Well Your Majesty, Boris has more chance of commanding a majority of the Commons than anyone else but I cannot guarantee that he can and am even inclined to think he probably cannot"?

;)

Then she would be obliged to continue in post.
    She could appear outside Downing Street to solemnly proclaim,
    "Nothing has Changed!"...oh, and have another look at my WDA.
    She’d have to enter into negotiations with the leaders of the oppositions.
    Would she? Surely if she cannot recommend another candidate who could command a majority, she would be obliged to continue in post? After all, we have to have a PM.
    I suppose it would then be up to Parliament to VONC her, if they were so minded.
    I mean in order to get her deal passed. MV4 could have just her, Rory Stewart and Caroline Flint voting for it against the rest of the Commons.
    Oh I see. The MV4 bit was a flippant comment on my part.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,071
    ydoethur said:

If Raab is made the new foreign secretary, how many months before he says "actually I have just realised, the Straights of Hormuz are a very important shipping lane?"

If he really is Hyufd under a false flag, he'll try rerouting the tankers via South Africa.
    Just excavate a canal through Iraq and Syria to the Mediterranean. Much safer.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    the timing of this looks sub-optimal for BoZo

https://twitter.com/LOS_Fisher/status/1153335171158040577
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,755

IanB2 said:

rcs1000 said:

Shit turnout though

nobody believes the LD membership number, 46000 bot IDs infiltrated the system and all voted for Jo Swinson. The russians dont want Ed Davey as he is a member of the illimuniati.

QED
  • Options
    JohnLoony said:

JohnLoony said:

Nobody yet knows the numbers because (a) that stupid cow Sal Brinton didn't repeat the figures which were drowned out by the cheering, and (b) the stupid morons were cheering in the first place.

All over the country, millions of ordinary normal decent anoraks and psephologists were listening to the declaration and writing down the numbers, but were sabotaged by a few dozen reckless haphazard ramshackle impertinent disrespectful disruptive booliaks who somehow thought that squawking like morons and drowning out the numbers in order to express their support for the winning candidate was somehow more important than finding out the actual numbers.
    I posted the numbers-

Swinson 47900 63.1pc
    Davey 28021 36.9pc

(via Sky)

Those are not the numbers. While I was typing my earlier comment, the figures were not yet known. They only became known after I had posted my comment. We now know that the figure was 47,997 - but we only know that because the BBC subtitles eventually told us, not because Baroness Brinton told us. It was her job to declare the result, but she completely failed to do so because she did not even attempt to repeat the figures which had been drowned out by cheering.

Fair plays - as stated I was quoting Sky.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    When is Theresa May on?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125

Barnesian said:

Brom said:

Lib Dems have really fucked up there. Too shrill and will lose her seat. Davey had top table experience and was the stronger candidate IMO.

She'll have voice training. There's plenty of upside to her current performance. That's why I voted for her.
    If you have any influence, can you suggest she gets a better hairdresser?
    When her £400 hair do will become the story.... :)
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Shit turnout though

It is. Turnout can never be 100 as there will always be duplicated entries, the dead etc on the list.

First election after we got married my wife received two electoral polling cards. One in her maiden name and one in her married name. When we voted both names were on the list. Of course she voted once only if she had done so twice it would have been illegal but turnout officially in our house was 66% when 100% in reality had voted.
    This is a good point and we need to sort this electoral registration mess out. I have tried to do a bit of work estimating how many on the electoral roll are double entries. It must be in the order of 2 or 3 % even where there has been a good canvas by the LA. Then there are the dead which must be something like electorate* days age of roll / (365*(85-18))
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Those bloody Europeans, protecting our ships...
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,128

Chris said:

Swinson 47900 63.1pc
    Davey 28021 36.9pc

(via Sky)

I'm sure mike's thread header , as well as switching pics a bit, started at 63 before dropping to 62
    63% is correct, isn't it?
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,761
    Hunt doing himself out of a job here with support for Duncan. Wise? Realised he is out anyway?
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,976
    "A European-led maritime protection force????"
    So, we are implacably opposed, under any circumstances, to an EU army.
    Whilst organising an EU Navy?
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Shit turnout though

This is a good point and we need to sort this electoral registration mess out. I have tried to do a bit of work estimating how many on the electoral roll are double entries. It must be in the order of 2 or 3 % even where there has been a good canvas by the LA. Then there are the dead which must be something like electorate* days age of roll / (365*(85-18))
    I'm probably wrong with the last bit - I think they do take the dead off the roll now when they are informed
  • Options
    Chris said:

Chris said:

Swinson 47900 63.1pc
    Davey 28021 36.9pc

(via Sky)

I don't have a clue - JLooney says Beeb quoting different figures so I guess we'll just have to await an official statement from the Lib Dems
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125

After 31 year of being a member I have at last voted for s winner in a leadership election. All my previous voted have been for losers

She may yet prove to be.....
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

JohnLoony said:

You could always try reading down the thread?
    I did read down the thread. The result is not anywhere in the thread earlier than my comment. My point is that Sal Brinton did not tell us the numbers. What is your point?

• Options
    JohnLoony said:

JohnLoony said:

I posted the numbers-

Swinson 47900 63.1pc
    Davey 28021 36.9pc

(via Sky)

Oh. I was going by Lib Dem News quoting Britain Elects. It does seem a bit shambolic.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124

Not a fan but maybe he can spell 'straits' correctly unlike some.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,205

Barnesian said:

Brom said:

Lib Dems have really fucked up there. Too shrill and will lose her seat. Davey had top table experience and was the stronger candidate IMO.

She'll have voice training. There's plenty of upside to her current performance. That's why I voted for her.
    She can get a perfectly good one for very very much less than that.

I marginally preferred Ed but either are fine.

Currently the Lib Dems are, in England anyway, the only party that is not batshit insane.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,980

Swinson! a bit of a thrashing (she clearly got the vagina vote)(First women liberal/sdp leader!)

I think her soft Scottish accent should play well. It did no favours to Gordon Brown; but I don't really think she's in contendership to be next PM so should be fine.

Good Luck LDs! I agree with most of your policies except your central one.

Scottish accent my arse, she has spent her entire life in Bath and the carpetbagger visits Scotland once in a blue moon.
  • Options

She would not harm Lib Dem chances unless she says or does something terrible. But she is the sensible type - so should be alright. It was a big victory nonetheless.
    Congrats.

Sensible my arse, a lying toerag.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Swinson! a bit of a thrashing (she clearly got the vagina vote)(First women liberal/sdp leader!)

I think her soft Scottish accent should play well. It did no favours to Gordon Brown; but I don't really think she's in contendership to be next PM so should be fine.

Scottish accent my arse, she has spent her entire life in Bath and the carpetbagger visits Scotland once in a blue moon.
    Well, it's a nice accent - had convinced me anyway.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,755
    malcolmg said:

she has spent her entire life in Bath and the carpetbagger visits Scotland once in a blue moon

have you got the right one malc ? Youre getting mixed up up with Rev Stuart campbell. :smiley:
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

Brom said:

Hard to get any worse, she is a donkey par excellence
  • Options
    felix said:

Not a fan but maybe he can spell 'straits' correctly unlike some.
    :)
  • Options
    JohnLoony said:

IanB2 said:

JohnLoony said:

I did read down the thread. The result is not anywhere in the thread earlier than my comment. My point is that Sal Brinton did not tell us the numbers. What is your point?

Mr Looney why don't you give us your figures since you seem to be the man in the know from the beeb side of things
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760
    rpjs said:

dixiedean said:

Brom said:

I don't find her "shrill". Give her a chance at least.
    Incidentally, are men ever shrill?
    No. It's code for "it's not done to admit I'm a misogynist". See also "urban".
    Thatcher had voice coaching. Always good for the PB virgins to get their knickers in a twist.
  • Options

Chris said:

Chris said:

Swinson 47900 63.1pc
    Davey 28021 36.9pc

(via Sky)

I don't have a clue - JLooney says Beeb quoting different figures so I guess we'll just have to await an official statement from the Lib Dems
    The latest news on the Lib Dem website is that someone called Chuka Umunna has joined the party ...
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Shit turnout though

Then you have the legitimate double entries - students, people with multiple homes - until recently you could add holiday home owners and landlords. Then there are those who have moved house and asked to be registered at the new address (as you would when an election looms) who are still on the register at the old address. People left on the register because no-one new has appeared at their vacated property. And people who should never been added to the list in the first place - in my lifetime of local election campaigning I have encountered all manner of mistakes: people double registered because one year they use their double-barrelled surname and another year their single, citizens of all manner of countries who just filled in the form, people who have registered all of their children; once I came across a register entry that turned out to be a dog.
  • Options
    nico67 said:

God some of the criticisms of Jo Swinson are really a bit much .

I like Ed Davey , he used to be my MP many moons ago but Jo is perfectly good as the next leader .

Lovestruck teenage crush
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    IanB2 said:

..once I came across a register entry that turned out to be a dog.

Did you get his support?
  • Options

IanB2 said:

rcs1000 said:

Shit turnout though

72% is the same as the highest previous LD elections. I suspect there'll be a similar level of turnout in the Conservative leadership contest tomorrow. (My spread is 67-77 if anyone wants a flutter)
  • Options

IanB2 said:

..once I came across a register entry that turned out to be a dog.

Did you get his support?
    Woof sounded like a probable to me.
  • Options

Hunt doing himself out of a job here with support for Duncan. Wise? Realised he is out anyway?

It speaks well of him that he stands by his team, unlike his rival.
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760
    edited July 2019
    malcolmg said:

nico67 said:

God some of the criticisms of Jo Swinson are really a bit much .

I like Ed Davey , he used to be my MP many moons ago but Jo is perfectly good as the next leader .

Lovestruck teenage crush
    Look how far the phrase 'perfectly good' has sunk. From Kennedy and Clegg to this...
  • Options
    Chris said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

Swinson 47900 63.1pc
    Davey 28021 36.9pc

(via Sky)

The latest news on the Lib Dem website is that someone called Chuka Umunna has joined the party ...
    I checked their twitter - nowt there RE: figures
  • Options
    PloppikinsPloppikins Posts: 126
    Would be amusing if some of the 28% of East Dunbartonshire voters who backed brexit held their noses and voted SNP to decapitate the most overtly remain UK wide party. Pure fantasy of course but would be interesting!
  • Options

JohnLoony said:

IanB2 said:

JohnLoony said:

Mr Looney why don't you give us your figures since you seem to be the man in the know from the beeb side of things
    I refer the honourable member to the 47,997 which I mentioned earlier, as well as the 28,021 which we already knew about.

• Options
    Cyclefree said:

It speaks well of him that he stands by his team, unlike his rival.
    Indeed, the more Tory Mps who fail to suck up to their new master the better. I am far from convinced he will be able to staff the payroll positions in full.
  • Options
    tpfkar said:

It was a pretty long and rambling speech, so we need to offset the numbers who expired during it.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,305
    Congratulations to Jo Swinson and while I do not know anything about her I do wish her well

Boris is about to enter no 10, and it fills me with great concern, but the actions of Duncan today were uncalled for and pathetic. The time for vonc will be Sept/Oct when matters may well be clearer

And where is Tom Watson today on the conviction of Carl Beech.

His actions played a huge part in condemning innocent men and he did it for political motives.

Shameful
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Cyclefree said:

Barnesian said:

Brom said:

Currently the Lib Dems are, in England anyway, the only party that is not batshit insane.
    They're a party that calls themselves Democrats who at "bollocks" to what the public democratically voted for. That's batshit insane.
  • Options
    theakestheakes Posts: 842
    Wow reading through some of the comments about the new Lib Dem leader it looks as if she has already ruffled feathers and produced serious anxiety into the SNP and right wing of the Blue ranks.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

Would be amusing if some of the 28% of East Dunbartonshire voters who backed brexit held their noses and voted SNP to decapitate the most overtly remain UK wide party. Pure fantasy of course but would be interesting!

Some of them will have been SNP supporters already.
  • Options

After 31 year of being a member I have at last voted for s winner in a leadership election. All my previous voted have been for losers

She may yet prove to be.....
    I am certain she is and will continue to be
  • Options
    theakes said:

Wow reading through some of the comments about the new Lib Dem leader it looks as if she has already ruffled feathers and produced serious anxiety into the SNP and right wing of the Blue ranks.

Yep, #Jomentum is on the roll...
  • Options
    rural_voterrural_voter Posts: 2,038
    Brom said:

rpjs said:

dixiedean said:

Brom said:

Thatcher had voice coaching. Always good for the PB virgins to get their knickers in a twist.
    She started off with an extremely shrill voice and ended up so low-pitch that on Spitting Image they used a man's voice to imitate hers:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/margaret-thatcher/9982150/I-was-Maggie-Thatchers-voice-in-Spitting-Image-and-my-Tory-gran-hated-it.html
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,981

Cyclefree said:

Barnesian said:

Brom said:

They're a party that calls themselves Democrats who at "bollocks" to what the public democratically voted for. That's batshit insane.
    Technically they are more conservative (i.e. keeping things as they were) than the conservative party
  • Options
    JohnLoony said:

JohnLoony said:

IanB2 said:

JohnLoony said:

I refer the honourable member to the 47,997 which I mentioned earlier, as well as the 28,021 which we already knew about.

You're a bit of a lazy bastard aren't you.

drumroll - The Official Lib Dem Leadership result-

Swinson 47997 (63.1 pc)
    Davey 28021 (36.9 pc)
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    tpfkar said:

Blimey .... that's almost two-thirds of Conservative MP's !!!!!!!! ..... :smiley:
  • Options

malcolmg said:

she has spent her entire life in Bath and the carpetbagger visits Scotland once in a blue moon

have you got the right one malc ? Youre getting mixed up up with Rev Stuart campbell. :smiley:
    LOL, Allan he only moved there as an adult and is able to give real facts , she has been there since just after birth and is a stranger to the truth.
  • Options

Congratulations to Jo Swinson and while I do not know anything about her I do wish her well

Boris is about to enter no 10, and it fills me with great concern, but the actions of Duncan today were uncalled for and pathetic. The time for vonc will be Sept/Oct when matters may well be clearer

His actions played a huge part in condemning innocent men and he did it for political motives.

Shameful

Surely the time for action is now when we could have a general election and still have enough time to implement the end result if it was a No Deal Tory party win...

If you wait to September exactly how do you hold a VoNC that doesn't result in an accidental No Deal screw up...
  • Options
    eek said:

Shameful

Surely the time for action is now when we could have a general election and still have enough time to implement the end result if it was a No Deal Tory party win...

If you wait to September exactly how do you hold a VoNC that doesn't result in an accidental No Deal screw up...
    A couple more Duncans would be doing the nation a great favour.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

she is squeaky , annoying and a blatant liar Briskin. You are easily pleased.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

she is squeaky , annoying and a blatant liar Briskin. You are easily pleased.
    Yes she was a bit squeaky today, I'll give you that.
  • Options
    eek said:

Shameful

I do not see it that way

I do not support Boris but he has to be given a chance to get a deal with the EU no matter how unlikely that is
  • Options
    theakes said:

We are too busy laughing to be worried
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

LOL, Allan he only moved there as an adult and is able to give real facts , she has been there since just after birth and is a stranger to the truth.
    She went to school in Milngavie ?
  • Options
    MarxMarx Posts: 28
    edited July 2019
    Two party leaders in constituencies with small majorities? Both targets by different parties. Labour on Johnson, and the SNP on Swinson. Very small swings and they're gone. Could the Tories and the LibDems persuade MP's in safe seats to stand down before the Commons and electorate notice or would new leaders have to be in place, even on a temporary basis. With the next GE almost certainly in October, this is looking like good betting opportunities.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    Jeremy Corbyn and John McDonnell both backed a bid to rename Holocaust Memorial Day "Genocide Memorial Day" - something the educational pamphlet they have just issued on anti-Jewish racism warns is "profoundly antisemitic".

https://www.thejc.com/news/uk-news/corbyn-and-mcdonnell-holocaust-memorial-day-labour-pamphlet-call-minimising-shoah-antisemitic-1.486722
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,626
    rpjs said:

dixiedean said:

Brom said:

“Shrill” is definitely an emotionally weighted description, which is hardly suggestive of a committed feminist...

Having said that, there is very good empirical evidence of the effects of vocal pitch:
    https://www.bbc.com/worklife/article/20180612-the-reasons-why-womens-voices-are-deeper-today

If I were advising Swinson (autocorrect has yet to learn about her, which is irritating), it’s something I’d recommend working on, subtly. Also avoiding sounding like the older Thatcher...
  • Options
    edited July 2019

eek said:

Shameful

I do not see it that way

I do not support Boris but he has to be given a chance to get a deal with the EU no matter how unlikely that is
    So Boris doesn't get a deal (very likely since the EU can't really make decisions until November 1st when the new leadership officially takes over). How do you avoid No Deal destroying the Tory party and the union....
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,141
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Stranger to the truth? Given she was educated at Douglas Academy, of Milngavie, East Dunbartonshire rather than Bath, Somerset (as any cursory check of her biography will tell you) and only moved to England to go to the LSE when she was 18, I think you need to look in the mirror for a stranger to the truth. Stuart Campbell has been there far longer than she has.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    Didn't osborne famously get voice coaching to stop sounding shrill?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,071
    malcolmg said:

There is something of Vicky Pollard about her intonation so that might explain it.
  • Options
    Animal_pbAnimal_pb Posts: 608
    IanB2 said:

eek said:

Shameful

A couple of Duncans using birth control around 63 years ago would have done the nation a bigger favour. He's an odious little creep.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Stranger to the truth? Given she was educated at Douglas Academy, of Milngavie, East Dunbartonshire rather than Bath, Somerset (as any cursory check of her biography will tell you) and only moved to England to go to the LSE when she was 18, I think you need to look in the mirror for a stranger to the truth. Stuart Campbell has been there far longer than she has.
    Ohh LSE - she could be our first Hacker!
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

She has still spent most of her life in Bath, what is a few years out. She is a fanny of the first order in any case, hopefully her arse will be out in next election. That would be a laugh.
  • Options
    Harris_TweedHarris_Tweed Posts: 1,300
    Gosh. Lucky no other party’s outriders would jump on criticism like that

https://twitter.com/OwenJones84/status/1153341646530121728?s=20
  • Options
    CiceroCicero Posts: 2,224
    malcolmg said:

Jesus you are something else Malcy... The true face of open-hearted civic nationalism, and you know what- this drunken uncle stuff bores the arse of more and more folk, even in Scotland. So feel free to let rip with graceless, charmless shite and watch the SNP fade into hurrumphing despair as they fall to bits.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Pulpstar said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Tory git
    PS: Her not you
  • Options
    Marx said:

Two party leaders in constituencies with small majorities? Both targets by different parties. Labour on Johnson, and the SNP on Swinson. Very small swings and they're gone. Could the Tories and the LibDems persuade MP's in safe seats to stand down before the Commons and electorate notice or would new leaders have to be in place, even on a temporary basis. With the next GE almost certainly in October, this is looking like good betting opportunities.

The LD poll rating is somewhere between double and treble that of the last GE. And the Tories have just chosen a leader toxic in Scotland. She’ll be safe. Even without the usual leader premium; people like being represented by someone prominent.
  • Options
    So, Jo Swinson is actually Scottish it's just that if you've ever been to Bath then you're no longer considered Scottish in Malky's eyes.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Pulpstar said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Tory git
    PS: Her not you
    Your posts when you are not rolling with laughter must be something to behold.
  • Options
    Torby_FennelTorby_Fennel Posts: 438
    edited July 2019

IanB2 said:

rcs1000 said:

Shit turnout though

It'd certainly be wonderful if 70% of Lib Dem members were activists pumping leaflets through doors. In my local party I'd say that fewer than 10% of our members could be called activists if leafleting and campaigning are the measuring stick. :)
  • Options
    eek said:

eek said:

Shameful

I do not see it that way

So Boris doesn't get a deal (very likely since the EU can't really make decisions until November 1st when the new leadership officially takes over). How do you avoid No Deal destroying the Tory party and the union....
    Nothing is cut and dried.

Barnier, Junckers, Merkel and Varadkar are not on holiday and Boris must be given a chance otherwise we will end up with an even bigger crisis.

I am not sure how anything will stop the no deal unless there is a deal but we are too ready to hold to our own positions for our own political motives
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,869
    IanB2 said:

theakes said:

Jo Swinson CV

• Warned against rises in Minimum Wage
    • Called for a statue to pay Tribute to Thatcher
    • Defended Tory Tribunal Fees
    • Scrapped EMA
    • Cut Disability Payments
    • Backed Bedroom Tax
    • Tripled Tuition Fees
    • Voted to bomb several Muslim Countries
    • Backed Austerity

Just your regular Liberal Democrat, really
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    rcs1000 said:

It was a pretty long and rambling speech, so we need to offset the numbers who expired during it.

Having watched a bit of it, I'd suggest we also need to add a count of those who self-expired.

• Options
    Cicero said:

malcolmg said:

Jesus you are something else Malcy... The true face of open-hearted civic nationalism, and you know what- this drunken uncle stuff bores the arse of more and more folk, even in Scotland. So feel free to let rip with graceless, charmless shite and watch the SNP fade into hurrumphing despair as they fall to bits.

LOL, humbug. Afraid even in this dictatorship we are allowed our opinions.It has bugger all to do with nationalism. She is a lying toerag, done nothing will amount to nothing. Unlucky for you the SNP ( of which I am not a member ) will not fade away till independence. In Scotland at least the Lib Dems will remain a 3rd division party competing with Greens for scraps from the table. For sure she would never have been able to tie Charlie's shoelaces but will likely fit in among the pygmies in the cesspit, harrumphing her delusions of grandeur.
  • Options
    Animal_pb said:

IanB2 said:

eek said:

Shameful

A couple of Duncans using birth control around 63 years ago would have done the nation a bigger favour. He's an odious little creep.
    I called out Duncan earlier but there is no place for your comment
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited July 2019

Jo Swinson CV

Hmm, that is so misleading as to be a very, very big lie.
  • Options

So, Jo Swinson is actually Scottish it's just that if you've ever been to Bath then you're no longer considered Scottish in Malky's eyes.

Brisket, Don't be a silly boy , that would mean I am not Scottish as I passed through once waving two fingers.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    theakes said:

Aye, and the SNP were terrified of Jim Murphy.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079
    No true Scotsman.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

theakes said:

Jo Swinson CV

• Warned against rises in Minimum Wage
    • Called for a statue to pay Tribute to Thatcher
    • Defended Tory Tribunal Fees
    • Scrapped EMA
    • Cut Disability Payments
    • Backed Bedroom Tax
    • Tripled Tuition Fees
    • Backed Austerity

Just your regular Liberal Democrat, really
    Even nastier than the Tories, unbelievable
  • Options

Gosh. Lucky no other party’s outriders would jump on criticism like that

https://twitter.com/OwenJones84/status/1153341646530121728?s=20

So he will welcome with open arms us scrutinizing the record of one J Corbyn MP then .......
This discussion has been closed.