Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Corbyn end days might soon be upon us

12346»

Comments

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,100

Mauve said:

_Anazina_ said:

JackW said:

HYUFD said:

Patel as Home Secretary would make Michael Howard and David Blunkett look like wet liberals

Indeed so. Patel a fully paid up member of the hang em and flog em brigade ..... and that's just for non No Deal Tory MP's.
    Patel’s problem is that she’s thick as pigshit

https://youtu.be/_DrsVhzbLzU
    I've seen that before and I'm still amazed. How on earth do these people become MPs? Is there really no one more sensible in the local Conservative Party willing to stand for election? And why do her constituents vote for her? What has she actually achieved or made a difference to, other than moronic grandstanding over Brexit?
    I suspect that at the selection meeting she was the most rabid anti-eu, Brexit at all costs candidate and so the ageing faithful nationalistic members with their blazers and weird ties, voted for her.
    Well I would certainly rather have a Priti Patel than another Dominic Grieve at the moment
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,283
    Is Gloria going a sign of an autumn election?
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    HYUFD said:

Yes, Boris had to attend to other matters tonight, although he might have come had his diary allowed as he is almost certainly now PM elect and this time next week will likely be in No 10 if this affair continues.

Though why any tankers are stupid enough to go anywhere near Iranian waters at the moment is beyond me
    They don't really have a choice. It's not like they're longboats and the crew can schlep them over land.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,995

And another moderate labourite bites the dust.

By the time uncle thickie finally goes, the labour party take over will be complete.
    Is she a "moderate" though? She's been in the Shadow Cabinet alongside Jezza all this time.
  • Options
    alex.alex. Posts: 4,658

HYUFD said:

Yes, Boris had to attend to other matters tonight, although he might have come had his diary allowed as he is almost certainly now PM elect and this time next week will likely be in No 10 if this affair continues.

Though why any tankers are stupid enough to go anywhere near Iranian waters at the moment is beyond me
    So Boris now puts it in his diary when he's allowed to come?
    Fair play, this is the new seriousness we expect from a pm presumptive.
    It was a very important alternative diary engagement he had to attend to. Good to know he might have considered rearranging if invited.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,221
    HYUFD said:

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

The EU can offer what it wants but as Dominic Raab correctly said tonight at a dinner I attended Boris will not allow any further extension as the party will be obliterated by the Brexit Party if we do not leave on October 31st
    And of course for you and Boris and Raab the party is more important than the country, isn't it?
    The country voted Leave much as diehard Remainers still refuse to accept it

Don't be an utter dimwit. Really. Just try. I know the country voted leave. I have accepted it. I would like that leave to happen on the basis of the deal which the leavers told us repeatedly would be dead easy. The country didn't vote to leave without a deal just so that you and your party could willy-wave about a date imposed on Britain by the French.

The interests of the country are not the same as the interests of your party. In your response (and this is not the first time) you assume that they are one and the same. They are not, no matter how often diehard Boris fans like you repeat it.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395

Is Gloria going a sign of an autumn election?

Maybe. I wonder if her decision was connected to Labour getting about 10% of the vote in her constituency at the local elections this year.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,019
    HYUFD said:

How else do you navigate from the Arabian Gulf to the Indian Ocean and Red Sea? Portage over the Empty Quarter?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

You are aware where oil comes from?
    Not solely from Iran and the tanker should have stayed firmly in UAE waters if it had to go through the Strait of Hormuz tonight not gone anywhere near Iranian waters
    The navigable section of the SoH is only 2km wide. There's no choice of passage.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

The EU can offer what it wants but as Dominic Raab correctly said tonight at a dinner I attended supported by fellow camp Boris member IDS Boris will not allow any further extension as the party will be obliterated by the Brexit Party if we do not leave on October 31st

What would BXP campaign pitch be if we left on, say, March 31st? Traitor Boris kept us in for six months two long?
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,049
    A couple of comments:

1. He's not a central banker, he's a generalist economist. That's usually a disqualification for these roles. (Until Christine Legarde that is, who is definitely not an economist.) The people sitting round the table with him at the MPC are going to know much more than he does about his job.

2. Having been the UK economist at a third tier investment bank is not some indication of being a brilliant economist. Wikipedia mentions that in 2010 he was mentioned in Bloomberg as one of the top UK economists. And if that's as good as it gets...
  • Options
    35 degrees centigrade is forecast to welcome Boris Johnson as PM next Wednesday in London.
  • Options
    MauveMauve Posts: 129
    AndyJS said:

Mauve said:

_Anazina_ said:

JackW said:

HYUFD said:

Patel as Home Secretary would make Michael Howard and David Blunkett look like wet liberals

Indeed so. Patel a fully paid up member of the hang em and flog em brigade ..... and that's just for non No Deal Tory MP's.

I've seen that before and I'm still amazed. How on earth do these people become MPs? Is there really no one more sensible in the local Conservative Party willing to stand for election? And why do her constituents vote for her? What has she actually achieved or made a difference to, other than moronic grandstanding over Brexit?
    Just imagine — she could be Chancellor of the Exchequer on Wednesday. Or Foreign Secretary.
    Hopefully Boris has been told to appoint some sensible people to positions where there's real power. Although I can imagine Patel as FS and Trump getting on quite well, which is quite a depressing thought.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Mauve said:

_Anazina_ said:

JackW said:

HYUFD said:

I suspect that at the selection meeting she was the most rabid anti-eu, Brexit at all costs candidate and so the ageing faithful nationalistic members with their blazers and weird ties, voted for her.
    Well I would certainly rather have a Priti Patel than another Dominic Grieve at the moment
    Well, of course, that's today's Tory party for you. Better a thicko with no integrity and a capacity for telling lies than someone who knows what they're talking about.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,291
    edited July 2019
    dixiedean said:

By the time uncle thickie finally goes, the labour party take over will be complete.
    Is she a "moderate" though? She's been in the Shadow Cabinet alongside Jezza all this time.
    Well the overton window has shifted so much now....where we have actual marxists and communists in positions of power in the shadow cabinet team...Ed miliband is now basically right wing now in comparison.
  • Options
    alex. said:

HYUFD said:

It was a very important alternative diary engagement he had to attend to. Good to know he might have considered rearranging if invited.
    I saw Boris on Wednesday at the hustings anyway so twice in one week was probably being greedy
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

alex. said:

HYUFD said:

I saw Boris on Wednesday at the hustings anyway so twice in one week was probably being greedy
    Have you personally spoken to Boris recently?
  • Options
    alex. said:

HYUFD said:

The EU can offer what it wants but as Dominic Raab correctly said tonight at a dinner I attended supported by fellow camp Boris member IDS Boris will not allow any further extension as the party will be obliterated by the Brexit Party if we do not leave on October 31st

What would BXP campaign pitch be if we left on, say, March 31st? Traitor Boris kept us in for six months two long?
    That'll really resonate in 2022...
  • Options
    alex. said:

HYUFD said:

If there was a general election before March 31st certainly.

In any case either as Merkel suggested the EU removes the backstop from the WA and lets the PD determine Irish border arrangements thus enabling the WA to get a Commons majority as per the Brady arrangement or without a Tory majority No Deal on October 31st it will have to be and then we can deal with the new EU Commission having delivered Brexit not still stuck in the EU

• Options
    Nigelb said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

Geography is not a Brexiteer strong point, and HYUFD is trying to fit in with the new model Tory party.

Indeed. File alongside economics, business, history, logic and international relations.
    Latin and Greek seem vital. They are strong on religion and Faith too. And by that alone we will be Saved.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,676
    HYUFD said:

Mauve said:

_Anazina_ said:

JackW said:

HYUFD said:

No comment!
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

alex. said:

HYUFD said:

But he clearly couldn’t get enough of it

• Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,116
    HYUFD said:

_Anazina_ said:

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

The EU can offer what it wants but as Dominic Raab correctly said tonight at a dinner I attended Boris will not allow any further extension as the party will be obliterated by the Brexit Party if we do not leave on October 31st
    And of course for you and Boris and Raab the party is more important than the country, isn't it?
    There was a time, not a million years ago, when HYUFD was a sensible, intelligent, one-nation centre-right moderate in the Richard N mould.

Several years of electoral defeats when trying to win election from the good burghers of Epping have, inexplicably, turned him into a Trumpton-Boris apologist/fan boy.

It’s a sad spectacle.

I hope one day he’ll regain his critical capacities.
    I still largely am but I also recognise the biggest vote in postwar British history has to be respected by whatever means it takes to deliver it
    How about via a united Ireland? Then the UK wouldn't be a member state of the EU anymore, and the referendum mandate will have been discharged.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

35 degrees centigrade is forecast to welcome Boris Johnson as PM next Wednesday in London.

Will the public warm to him? Or come out in a cold sweat?
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

Not solely from Iran and the tanker should have stayed firmly in UAE waters if it had to go through the Strait of Hormuz tonight not gone anywhere near Iranian waters
    The navigable section of the SoH is only 2km wide. There's no choice of passage.
    If it could not go through Oman or UAE waters (which it almost certainly could) it should not go at all, assuming this tanker is ultimately released if I were Boris I would ban tankers with UK flags from going through Iranian waters in the Straits for the foreseeable future otherwise a £50 to £100 million fine from the British government for having to get their release. If they even have to go around the Cape of Good Hope so be it
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    HYUFD said:

alex. said:

HYUFD said:

If there was a general election before March 31st certainly.

In any case either as Merkel suggested the EU removes the backstop from the WA and lets the PD determine Irish border arrangements thus enabling the WA to get a Commons majority as per the Brady arrangement or without a Tory majority No Deal on October 31st it will have to be and then we can deal with the new EU Commission having delivered Brexit not still stuck in the EU

Unfortunately we’ll still be stuck with a buffoon as PM. I suppose the Tory Party might recognise his usefulness as having being outlasted and get rid of him...

• Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,763
    rcs1000 said:

A couple of comments:

1. He's not a central banker, he's a generalist economist. That's usually a disqualification for these roles. (Until Christine Legarde that is, who is definitely not an economist.) The people sitting round the table with him at the MPC are going to know much more than he does about his job.

2. Having been the UK economist at a third tier investment bank is not some indication of being a brilliant economist. Wikipedia mentions that in 2010 he was mentioned in Bloomberg as one of the top UK economists. And if that's as good as it gets...
    He also proposed to have Theresa May killed and eaten. That's not typical behaviour of a central banker vis a vis their prime minister.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

A couple of comments:

3. If/when a Corbynista becomes PM it makes it easier for them to make an overtly political appointment to the Bank of England, further eroding the independence of British institutions.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

Don't be an utter dimwit. Really. Just try. I know the country voted leave. I have accepted it. I would like that leave to happen on the basis of the deal which the leavers told us repeatedly would be dead easy. The country didn't vote to leave without a deal just so that you and your party could willy-wave about a date imposed on Britain by the French.

The interests of the country are not the same as the interests of your party. In your response (and this is not the first time) you assume that they are one and the same. They are not, no matter how often diehard Boris fans like you repeat it.
    You and most opposition MPs clearly do not, the Withdrawal Agreement Deal was there, Labour and LD MPs had 3 chances to vote for it, they refused when most Tory MPs did vote for it.

So if No Deal is the only remaining way to get Brexit then so be it
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    HYUFD said:

Dura_Ace said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

If it could not go through Oman or UAE waters (which it almost certainly could) it should not go at all, assuming this tanker is ultimately released if I were Boris I would ban tankers with UK flags from going through Iranian waters in the Straits for the foreseeable future otherwise a £50 to £100 million fine from the British government for having to get their release. If they even have to go around the Cape of Good Hope so be it
    Lol. I suppose there could be worse PMs than Johnson...
  • Options
    edited July 2019

dixiedean said:

Well the overton window has shifted so much now....where we have actual marxists and communists in positions of power in the shadow cabinet team...Ed miliband is now basically right wing now in comparison.
    We had quite a few actual Communists under Blair. John Reid and Mandelson to name but two.
    Gloria gets a pass cos she scrubs up well, doesn't rant, and is a diehard Remainer (apols HYUFD). Appears as a Blairite. But to call her a moderate is something of a stretch. She's well to the left of Ed M.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,354
    Gloria was initially controversial (seen as a glamorous choice parachuted in) but quickly lived it down by hard work. But all the four parties in Ashfield (which shared a ward with my old patch), including the Independents, were in my day noted for in-fighting - in amicable Broxtowe next door we used to listen to the stories with amazement. It wasn't a left-right thing, even between parties - just lots of people who couldn't stand each other. My guess is that Gloria just got tired of it.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,882
    With a majority of less than 500 and Labour telling her leave backing voters to go to hell I guess she knows the games up!
  • Options

HYUFD said:

_Anazina_ said:

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

There was a time, not a million years ago, when HYUFD was a sensible, intelligent, one-nation centre-right moderate in the Richard N mould.

Several years of electoral defeats when trying to win election from the good burghers of Epping have, inexplicably, turned him into a Trumpton-Boris apologist/fan boy.

It’s a sad spectacle.

I still largely am but I also recognise the biggest vote in postwar British history has to be respected by whatever means it takes to deliver it
    How about via a united Ireland? Then the UK wouldn't be a member state of the EU anymore, and the referendum mandate will have been discharged.
    The DUP is still largest party in Northern Ireland and most of their voters voted Leave
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

A couple of comments:

3. If/when a Corbynista becomes PM it makes it easier for them to make an overtly political appointment to the Bank of England, further eroding the independence of British institutions.
    Yes, that's a very apposite point.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

We had quite a few actual Communists under Blair. John Reid and Mandelson to name but two.
    Gloria gets a pass cos she scrubs up well, doesn't rant, and is a diehard Remainer (apols HYUFD). Appears as a Blairite. But to call her a moderate is something of a stretch. She's well to the left of Ed M.
    By the time mandelson and darling got to government they couldnt have been much further from the far left, as mandy famously said he was very comfortable with people being filthy rich...and now is himself.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Dura_Ace said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

So they avoid the Straits of Hormuz by going around the Cape of Good Hope? They could link up with the Ullapool Inverness ferry there I suppose.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

A couple of comments:

Is it true though? I dont think they will stick to conventions regardless of what the tories have or havent done.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

Dura_Ace said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

So they avoid the Straits of Hormuz by going around the Cape of Good Hope? They could link up with the Ullapool Inverness ferry there I suppose.
    Fucking LOL.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Dura_Ace said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

You do realise the government doesn't have the power to make up laws like that on the fly, right?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

_Anazina_ said:

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

It’s a sad spectacle.

The DUP is still largest party in Northern Ireland and most of their voters voted Leave
    The DUP isn't the Conservative party. Just declare that policy of the Conservative party is to favour a united Ireland and indicate to unionists that you believe their long-term future lies with Ireland.
  • Options
    I suspect this is one of the most bollx articles written in a very long time:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2019/07/19/david-davis-tipped-shock-cabinet-comeback-boris-johnson/
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    AndyJS said:

HYUFD said:

alex. said:

HYUFD said:

Have you personally spoken to Boris recently?
    No, surprisingly I am not on his speed dial.

I have personally spoken to Boris twice, once in 2008 when I was campaigning for him to be Mayor (when I very briefly met Cameron too) and once in 2017 at CCHQ. I have spoken to May once at the old Conservative Central Office when I was a student and I have shaken John Major's hand once at a 1992 election campaign stop and I spoke to Dennis Thatcher and was in a photo stood behind Margaret Thatcher at an International Young Democratic Union event in 2001.

That is as close as I have got to former or living PMs (I saw Blair once or twice in the 2001 campaign but not to speak to only to protest at)
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

Dura_Ace said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

We might not have to wait long for the North-West Passage to open and then they can go that way.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

_Anazina_ said:

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

It’s a sad spectacle.

For somebody who bases their entire political outlook upon the fulfilment of an absolute majority vote in a referendum, you retain a strange attraction towards promoting outcomes on the basis of parties achieving pluralities, but not majorities of votes in election.

Of course, independence secured only 45% of the vote in Scotland. Undeterred the only party backing the minority opinion subsequently grabbed 96% of parliamentary seats...

• Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    HYUFD said:

Not solely from Iran and the tanker should have stayed firmly in UAE or Oman waters if it had to go through the Strait of Hormuz tonight not gone anywhere near Iranian waters

The shipping lanes are heavily controlled, and go entirely through Iranian waters at one point.

It's really shallow in a lot of parts, so a lot of what seems like open water isn't much use.

• Options

Gloria was initially controversial (seen as a glamorous choice parachuted in) but quickly lived it down by hard work. But all the four parties in Ashfield (which shared a ward with my old patch), including the Independents, were in my day noted for in-fighting - in amicable Broxtowe next door we used to listen to the stories with amazement. It wasn't a left-right thing, even between parties - just lots of people who couldn't stand each other. My guess is that Gloria just got tired of it.
    Thnx for the local info.
  • Options

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

Dura_Ace said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

We might not have to wait long for the North-West Passage to open and then they can go that way.
    The problem with you, and with many maritime captains, is that you don't believe enough. Frankly, if you stopped listening to experts, you'd realise that there were many ways to get your tanker into the Arabian Gulf without going near the Straits of Hormuz.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

Dura_Ace said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

Well it is either that or we risk going to war with Iran within the next month or two because of their recklessness
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

You and most opposition MPs clearly do not, the Withdrawal Agreement Deal was there, Labour and LD MPs had 3 chances to vote for it, they refused when most Tory MPs did vote for it.

Don't you ever dare again to tell me what my views are. Understood? I am well able to spell out what I think. I have done.

I understand what a democracy is and, judging by what you write on here, rather better than you and those who think like you who are willing to upend Parliamentary democracy in order to get your way.

• Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

_Anazina_ said:

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

It’s a sad spectacle.

The DUP isn't the Conservative party. Just declare that policy of the Conservative party is to favour a united Ireland and indicate to unionists that you believe their long-term future lies with Ireland.
    It doesn't, the Tory Party still believes in the Union and will support the majority of Protestant Unionists in NI and the 64% of Leave voters in Scotland who want to deliver Brexit and preserve the Union too
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    GIN1138 said:

With a majority of less than 500 and Labour telling her leave backing voters to go to hell I guess she knows the games up!
    Which is my take. Plus she had another lucrative career before. Can have it again. Much less hassle. Also, Nick Palmer's inside info merely adds to that suspicion.
  • Options
    Johnson PM, IDS Deputy, Davis Foreign Secretary, Priti Patel Chancellor. Will Johnson get a majority of Tory MPs supporting him in a VoNC?
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    alex. said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

_Anazina_ said:

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

It’s a sad spectacle.

For somebody who bases their entire political outlook upon the fulfilment of an absolute majority vote in a referendum, you retain a strange attraction towards promoting outcomes on the basis of parties achieving pluralities, but not majorities of votes in election.

Of course, independence secured only 45% of the vote in Scotland. Undeterred the only party backing the minority opinion subsequently grabbed 96% of parliamentary seats...

Yes and we only had that referendum as Salmond was First Minister and the SNP won a majority, just as Cameron won a majority to enable the EU referendum the last NI Assembly elections still made the DUP largest party in NI
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

A couple of comments:

Is it true though? I dont think they will stick to conventions regardless of what the tories have or havent done.
    Agreed. But it is still easier to tear up conventions and shut down criticism for what you are doing if your opponents have helpfully salted the earth for you already.

• Options
    edited July 2019
    Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

Don't you ever dare again to tell me what my views are. Understood? I am well able to spell out what I think. I have done.

I understand what a democracy is and, judging by what you write on here, rather better than you and those who think like you who are willing to upend Parliamentary democracy in order to get your way.

Yes, you understand Brexit must be stopped at all costs despite 17 million people voting for it and a majority of votes in 2017 going to parties committed to Brexit, I know
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

Dura_Ace said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

Well it is either that or we risk going to war with Iran within the next month or two because of their recklessness
    Go and look at a map. A real one, not one Grayling or Raab drew in crayon on a Little Chef menu. Then realise what absolute shit you are spouting.
  • Options
    people ridiculed Ed Miliand’s 34% strategy. HYUFD believes in a 26% strategy.

Sorry, 51% of leavers.
  • Options
    alex. said:

Johnson PM, IDS Deputy, Davis Foreign Secretary, Priti Patel Chancellor. Will Johnson get a majority of Tory MPs supporting him in a VoNC?

Probably not. Seeing as he promised these plum jobs to several other people. Most notably Javid.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

_Anazina_ said:

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

It’s a sad spectacle.

It doesn't, the Tory Party still believes in the Union and will support the majority of Protestant Unionists in NI and the 64% of Leave voters in Scotland who want to deliver Brexit and preserve the Union too
    Yet more proof that you're really a diehard Remainer who's in the wrong party. Modern Tories believe in Brexit, not the union.

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2019/06/18/most-conservative-members-would-see-party-destroye
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979
    alex. said:

Crikey that line up is frieghtening! What have we done to deserve the second rate Tories or third rate Labour led by Corbyn?
  • Options

alex. said:

Crikey that line up is frieghtening! What have we done to deserve the second rate Tories or third rate Labour led by Corbyn?
    I’m so glad I don’t live in a Con/Labour marginal (if such a thing still exists)
  • Options

alex. said:

Are you sure that makes Labour third rate? If there is any truth in this. PM Boris v Corbyn. Pay your money, take your choice. Deputy. Watson v IDS. FS Davis v Thornberry. Cof E Patel v Mc Donnell.
    That doesn't look like an overwhelming Tory competence or intelligence win to me.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

Yes, you understand Brexit must be stopped at all costs despite 17 million people voting for it and a majority of votes in 2017 going to parties committed to Brexit, I know
    It was 17.4 million to be precise! I would say 50 million British citizens did not vote for any Brexit...
  • Options
    alex. said:

people ridiculed Ed Miliand’s 34% strategy. HYUFD believes in a 26% strategy.

Sorry, 51% of leavers.

Over 46% and 48% of voters back No Deal Brexit in marginals in the North West and East Midlands in a poll today, more than back revoke or extend combined

https://www.politico.eu/article/poll-uk-brexit-divide-deepens-as-voters-move-to-the-extremes/
  • Options
    alex. said:

Javid as Chancellor, Raab Foreign Secretary, Patel or Mordaunt Home Secretary maybe Hunt Deputy and IDS Defence, otherwise plausible
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900

Indeed. Same problem as with Trump - almost nobody competent and/or sane wanted anything to do with his cabinet.
  • Options
    alex. said:

alex. said:

I’m so glad I don’t live in a Con/Labour marginal (if such a thing still exists)
    I will not vote Tory or Labour at the moment: It has to be LD as a protest!
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

Dura_Ace said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

Go and look at a map. A real one, not one Grayling or Raab drew in crayon on a Little Chef menu. Then realise what absolute shit you are spouting.
    Go and realise we will have to go to war with Iran alongside the USA within a few months if they keep taking our oil tankers and provoking them will make that inevitable
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

I've had enough of you. Once again you are putting words in my mouth.

Since you can't understand the plain English words I have used, you may as well stick to inventing what you think Boris will do.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Dura_Ace said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

Dura_Ace said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

Go and realise we will have to go to war with Iran alongside the USA within a few months if they keep taking our oil tankers and provoking them will make that inevitable
    "Go and realise we will have to to leave with EU with no deal alongside the Brexit Party within a few months if they keep taking our voters and provoking them will make that inevitable"
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

alex. said:

Are you sure that makes Labour third rate? If there is any truth in this. PM Boris v Corbyn. Pay your money, take your choice. Deputy. Watson v IDS. FS Davis v Thornberry. Cof E Patel v Mc Donnell.
    That doesn't look like an overwhelming Tory competence or intelligence win to me.
    I dont rate either side. It is a diabolic choice that plunges to the depths of degredation and is beset by failed dogma on both sides.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

_Anazina_ said:

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

It’s a sad spectacle.

Yet more proof that you're really a diehard Remainer who's in the wrong party. Modern Tories believe in Brexit, not the union.

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2019/06/18/most-conservative-members-would-see-party-destroye
    Modern Tories want both Brexit and the Union, on a forced choice they prefer Brexit but only the SNP and Sinn Fein want to force that choice
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

I've had enough of you. Once again you are putting words in my mouth.

Since you can't understand the plain English words I have used, you may as well stick to inventing what you think Boris will do.
    And you wonder why you're not Boris' go to for Bof E governor? ;)
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Modern Tories want both Brexit and the Union, on a forced choice they prefer Brexit but only the SNP and Sinn Fein want to force that choice
    You don't think a No Deal Brexit forces that choice?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Dura_Ace said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

Dura_Ace said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

"Go and realise we will have to to leave with EU with no deal alongside the Brexit Party within a few months if they keep taking our voters and provoking them will make that inevitable"
    We are provoking them by refusing to respect the Brexit vote
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,947
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

_Anazina_ said:

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

It’s a sad spectacle.

Yet more proof that you're really a diehard Remainer who's he union.

Tories want to force that choice.
  • Options
    edited July 2019

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

You don't think a No Deal Brexit forces that choice?
    No, not necessarily.

In Scotland the SNP may be in power but 52% of Scots still back the Union even with Brexit with No Deal on this Panelbase poll, if down from 55% in 2014.
    https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/no-deal-brexit-pushes-scots-to-break-from-the-uk-shows-poll-5kkpfb2dv

Plus the DUP are still largest party in NI anyway and held the First Minister post until the executive was suspended and both Boris and Hunt have committed to avoid a hard border in Ireland
  • Options
    4% profit if you think Boris will be next PM.

https://www.betfair.com/exchange/plus/politics/market/1.125575094
  • Options
    alex. said:

alex. said:

Opinion polls currently suggest that it is plausible that both the Conservatives and Labour have lost around half of their 2017 voters. Half.

While that doesn't make the 2017GE results entirely irrelevant when trying to work out what will happen at the next GE it certainly suggests that there's no longer any such thing as a Con/Lab marginal.
  • Options

alex. said:

alex. said:

Opinion polls currently suggest that it is plausible that both the Conservatives and Labour have lost around half of their 2017 voters. Half.

While that doesn't make the 2017GE results entirely irrelevant when trying to work out what will happen at the next GE it certainly suggests that there's no longer any such thing as a Con/Lab marginal.
    Pretty much. The actual figure is 45% with the latest polling average I think.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

_Anazina_ said:

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

There was a timne day he’ll regain his critical capacities.
    How about d.
    It doesn't, the Tory Party stilhe Union too
    Yet more proof that you're really a diehard Remainer who's he union.

Tories want to force that choice.
    No, the Tories and DUP want Brexit and the Union. The SNP and Sinn Fein want neither.

According to Curtice while 51% of Remainers in Scotland now back Yes, 64% of Scottish Leavers still back No and the latter constitute the majority of Scottish Tory and Scottish Brexit Party voters.

http://blog.whatscotlandthinks.org/2019/07/could-brexit-yet-undermine-the-future-of-the-british-state/.

In Northern Ireland 7/10 DUP constituencies voted Leave
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,377
    HYUFD said:

Dura_Ace said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

Dura_Ace said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

Have you signed up yet?
  • Options
    TheJezziahTheJezziah Posts: 3,840
    https://twitter.com/LeftieStats/status/1152218470161031170

Not that it will happen anyway but would be happy for a leadership challenge.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,377
    HYUFD said:

Dura_Ace said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

Cape of Good Hope? Are you Dominic Raab in disguise? :lol:
  • Options
    edited July 2019

HYUFD said:

Dura_Ace said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

Dura_Ace said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

Have you signed up yet?
    If Iran is capturing tankers flying the UK flag then obviously those who have signed up for the military may well be involved at least in air strikes as a minimum on Iran, maybe with submarine launched missiles ordered by PM Boris probably aided by President Trump, especially if they have been captured in what are supposed to be international waters.
  • Options
    edited July 2019

https://twitter.com/LeftieStats/status/1152218470161031170

Not that it will happen anyway but would be happy for a leadership challenge.

72% of Corbyn 2016 voters and 74% of Labour members who voted Labour in the European Parliament elections are still happy with him, the party remains a Corbynite party even if 87% of Owen Smith supporters and 85% of Labour members who voted LD in the European Parliament elections think he is doing badly
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,184
    HYUFD said:

Dura_Ace said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

I’m guessing we’ve all been looking at this map made by Diehard Remainers peddling Project Fear and of we only had more confidence in ourselves we could jolly well drag those oil tankers across the Arabian Desert using our buccaneering spirit!

• Options
    edited July 2019
    With his party comfortably leading the polls, Salvini threatens to withdraw from the governing coalition and force an autumn general election in Italy after Five Star backed Von der Leyen as EU Commission President and unless Five Star backs tax cuts and more powers for the regions

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-07-19/all-of-italy-is-waiting-for-salvini-to-decide-about-snap-vote
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

Dura_Ace said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

I’m guessing we’ve all been looking at this map made by Diehard Remainers peddling Project Fear and of we only had more confidence in ourselves we could jolly well drag those oil tankers across the Arabian Desert using our buccaneering spirit!

Well if you are insistent that is the only way to do it, war with Iran or at least air and missile strikes it will have to be to ensure free passage through the Straits
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,184
    HYUFD said:

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

Dura_Ace said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

Well if you are insistent that is the only way to do it, war with Iran or at least air and missile strikes it will have to be to ensure free passage through the Straits
    Yeah. That always works.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

Dura_Ace said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

Or we could give them their tanker back.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

HYUFD said:

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

Dura_Ace said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

Or we could give them their tanker back.
    Which we will if proved it was not carrying oil to the Syrian regime
  • Options
    MangoMango Posts: 1,013
    IanB2 said:

Lol @ Patel in a top job. Would even Bozo plumb such depths?

With Raab and IDS in there, she'd have half a crack at not being the worst in the cabinet.

She'd probably see them off though: they're too lazy to reach for true incompetent glory.
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,962
    DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

Dura_Ace said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

Yeah. That always works.
    Of course, as is well known, whenever you capitulate to a bully, the bullying always stops.
  • Options
    If Boris rolls the Dice with an Out at any cost pledge and wins a General Election Corbyn is toast .If Corbyn fails to win extra seats in any general election he is toast .An Et Tu (you choose the knifeman) moment and Corbyn is toast .5/2 three chances looks a sporting wager .
This discussion has been closed.