Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Corbyn end days might soon be upon us

Comments

• Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,334
    edited July 2019

ydoethur said:

dixiedean said:

Looks like the Iranians have seized a British tanker. Thank goodness Boris will sort it out.

Can't find that story. What's your source?
    https://twitter.com/BBCBreaking/status/1152279249937715200
    Thanks.

This is presumably deliberate provocation, not like that time in 2007 when a flotilla of drunks kidnapped those British sailors while under the influence?
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Stupid question as it relies on Boris extending not trying to prorogue Parliament etc to ensure Brexit on 31st October as he will do
    You're reading something into the question that isn't there.
    Nope, if Boris is trying to prorogue Parliament to deliver Brexit and MPs block him most Leavers will still back him if he refuses to extend
    It doesn’t say anything about extending either way.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,381
    HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

RH1992 said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:
    Boris can't get away with 0 from 4 women in the top jobs. At least one of Mordaunt and Truss; more interesting would be both.
    Boris PM, Javid Chancellor, Raab Foreign Secretary, Patel or Mordaunt Home Secretary, Hunt Deputy PM, IDS Defence, Cleverly Party Chairman, Truss Business
    I can hear the European Commission howling with laughter now at the thought of Raab as Foreign Secretary. Raab is Grayling with intent.
    Raab is sharp and tough (Mordaunt also a contender) but Foreign Secretary is not leading on the negotiations with the EU, I understand Geoffrey Cox and Rees-Mogg will be added to the renegotiation and future relationship team, both heavyweight Brexiteers. Plus of course a new EU Commission
    There's something both delicious and incredibly dangerous in this, of people nowhere near the competence required put in charge of potentially mammothly intricate tasks. The results are bound to be patriotic bluster and failure on any objective terms, as with David Davis - but the stakes and timeframe make it all the more dangerous this time. It's all a bit reminiscent of an enjoyably bad horror movie with real life consequences, or something like the 1970s movie Rollerball.
    Geoffrey Cox is one of the highest earning QCs in the country but because he is a Brexiteer diehard Remainers insist 'he lacks competence'
    Wasn’t he the one who stood up in the Commons and told his Tory colleagues they were legislators, not children, and needed to avoid the disaster of no deal?
    He voted for the Brady amendment and backed Leave and has not voted to try and block No Deal
    Is that an HY ‘Yes’? Yes, he told Tory MPs that no deal would be lunacy. I think that is a quote. Lunacy. That Geoffrey Cox? Yes?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,786
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

RH1992 said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:
    Boris can't get away with 0 from 4 women in the top jobs. At least one of Mordaunt and Truss; more interesting would be both.
    Boris PM, Javid Chancellor, Raab Foreign Secretary, Patel or Mordaunt Home Secretary, Hunt Deputy PM, IDS Defence, Cleverly Party Chairman, Truss Business
    I can hear the European Commission howling with laughter now at the thought of Raab as Foreign Secretary. Raab is Grayling with intent.
    Raab is sharp and tough (Mordaunt also a contender) but Foreign Secretary is not leading on the negotiations with the EU, I understand Geoffrey Cox and Rees-Mogg will be added to the renegotiation and future relationship team, both heavyweight Brexiteers. Plus of course a new EU Commission
    There's something both delicious and incredibly dangerous in this, of people nowhere near the competence required put in charge of potentially mammothly intricate tasks. The results are bound to be patriotic bluster and failure on any objective terms, as with David Davis - but the stakes and timeframe make it all the more dangerous this time. It's all a bit reminiscent of an enjoyably bad horror movie with real life consequences, or something like the 1970s movie Rollerball.
    Geoffrey Cox is one of the highest earning QCs in the country but because he is a Brexiteer diehard Remainers insist 'he lacks competence'
    What's your source for his income?
    There’s this interview with a 14yr old...
    https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/boy-asks-attorney-general-geoffrey-cox-to-justify-high-earnings-t2pj6ldfj
  • Options
    surbiton19surbiton19 Posts: 1,469
    IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

RH1992 said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:
    ... one of the highest earning QCs in the country but because he is a Brexiteer diehard Remainers insist 'he lacks competence'
    Wasn’t he the one who stood up in the Commons and told his Tory colleagues they were legislators, not children, and needed to avoid the disaster of no deal?
    Time changes people. Look at Amber Rudd . Remember 'You can't trust him to take you home at the end of an evening'is
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

RH1992 said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:
    He voted for the Brady amendment and backed Leave and has not voted to try and block No Deal
    Is that an HY ‘Yes’? Yes, he told Tory MPs that no deal would be lunacy. I think that is a quote. Lunacy. That Geoffrey Cox? Yes?
    He’s a barrister for hire; he’ll spout any old cobblers on behalf of a client.
  • Options
    JackW said:

IanB2 said:

BBC2: LibDem hustings followed by first night of the Proms #Fridaynightin

I'm not sure @Morris_Dancer can stand the pace !!!!!!!!!
    He gets off on watching traffic; I am sure he can cope.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,561
    edited July 2019
    Nigelb said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

RH1992 said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:
    https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/boy-asks-attorney-general-geoffrey-cox-to-justify-high-earnings-t2pj6ldfj
    There's also this about Incompetent Cox.

Tory MP failed to declare £400,000 in extra earnings

Last year Mr Cox submitted claims for a 49p bottle of milk and £2 worth of tea bags.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/geoffrey-cox-tory-mp-failed-to-declare-400000-in-extra-earnings-forced-to-apologise-a6853806.html
  • Options

Nigelb said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

RH1992 said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:
    There's also this about Incompetent Cox.

Tory MP failed to declare £400,000 in extra earnings

Last year Mr Cox submitted claims for a 49p bottle of milk and £2 worth of tea bags.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/geoffrey-cox-tory-mp-failed-to-declare-400000-in-extra-earnings-forced-to-apologise-a6853806.html
    Clearly a scummy nobody.

Really sophisticated people use loose leaf.
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,882
    Davey would back Labour in a Queens Speech but on an issue by issue basis afterwards. Don't see how that could work.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

RH1992 said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:
    I am sure @Cyclefree can regale us with stories of utterly incompetent yet highly paid QCs.

Edit - this one sprang to mind, although an historic example:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mervyn_Griffith-Jones
    As Cyclefree being a diehard Remainer is the Oracle of all wisdom rather than a compliance officer
    Hello: I am not a diehard Remainer, whatever "diehard" means. Nor am I or have I ever been a Compliance officer.

Whether I'm an Oracle of wisdom I will leave to others.

I can certainly regale you with lots of stories. But you'll need to be very nice indeed to me.
    His definition of diehard remainer is a ..... very broad one.
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502

HYUFD said:

He was sent to Brussels to renegotiate the backstop after the Brady amendment. What did he achieve?
    Bugger all ! His Brian Blessed impression left the EU cold !
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,509
    nico67 said:

HYUFD said:

He was sent to Brussels to renegotiate the backstop after the Brady amendment. What did he achieve?
    Bugger all ! His Brian Blessed impression left the EU cold !
    On the contrary, I think he did ok.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Nigelb said:

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

RH1992 said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:
    I am sure @Cyclefree can regale us with stories of utterly incompetent yet highly paid QCs.

As Cyclefree being a diehard Remainer is the Oracle of all wisdom rather than a compliance officer
    Hello: I am not a diehard Remainer, whatever "diehard" means. Nor am I or have I ever been a Compliance officer.

I can certainly regale you with lots of stories. But you'll need to be very nice indeed to me.
    Anyone who fought for the king who hasn't personally volunteered to chop off the king’s head after the Roundheads won.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

dixiedean said:

Looks like the Iranians have seized a British tanker. Thank goodness Boris will sort it out.

Thanks.

This is presumably deliberate provocation, not like that time in 2007 when a flotilla of drunks kidnapped those British sailors while under the influence?
    Presumably Iran's revenge for our grabbing one of their tankers at the behest of the Americans. If we must get involved in these games, maybe best not to do it after the Tories have scrapped half the navy including the carriers.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,059

The interesting points highlighted are twofold: how deeply EU law has permeated every aspect of UK life, and how willing people are to accept a false contradiction if it makes someone they don't like look foolish.

I hate to say it, but isn't this an argument for the single market, rather than one against it.

As most people on this board know, I'm involved in a number of businesses. Being able to just have one set of packaging requirements that is allowed for sending poduce to customers in the UK, Ireland, Spain and Germany seems like good common sense.

Now, sure, we don't need the EU to agree common standards (see the ITU for how telecoms standards are harmonised globally), but harmonised product standards are unquestionably in the interests of consumers.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    Nigelb said:

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

RH1992 said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

That doesn’t include himself but then he’s going for dinner with two none entities and some blond tart tonight so we’ll get an update from brexit central tomorrow.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,221

ydoethur said:

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

RH1992 said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

How much coffee would it take?
    A trip to a sushi bar will do it.
    Now, now: that's very naughty of you. That was just the downpayment. I'm thinking of the restaurant at the Midland next time....... :)
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

ydoethur said:

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

RH1992 said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

A trip to a sushi bar will do it.
    Now, now: that's very naughty of you. That was just the downpayment. I'm thinking of the restaurant at the Midland next time....... :)
    There seems to be something fishy about all this.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

I'd love to. The Adam Reid is fab.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

The interesting points highlighted are twofold: how deeply EU law has permeated every aspect of UK life, and how willing people are to accept a false contradiction if it makes someone they don't like look foolish.

I hate to say it, but isn't this an argument for the single market, rather than one against it.

As most people on this board know, I'm involved in a number of businesses. Being able to just have one set of packaging requirements that is allowed for sending poduce to customers in the UK, Ireland, Spain and Germany seems like good common sense.

Now, sure, we don't need the EU to agree common standards (see the ITU for how telecoms standards are harmonised globally), but harmonised product standards are unquestionably in the interests of consumers.
    ...and we’ll be following EU standards whether in or out. And Kippers will keep their ice pillows.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    I disagree, we changed PMs during both world wars.

https://twitter.com/lewis_goodall/status/1152284050310217728
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

dixiedean said:

Thanks.

Presumably Iran's revenge for our grabbing one of their tankers at the behest of the Americans. If we must get involved in these games, maybe best not to do it after the Tories have scrapped half the navy including the carriers.
    The tanker we have repeatedly said we'll release as soon as they give us the appropriate assurances it isn't bound for Syria?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

RH1992 said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

Honestly, what sort of a girl do you think I am?!

A decent Malbec and a nice meal, at the very least.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

dixiedean said:

Thanks.

Our new super carrier keeps taking on water and they can’t get to the bottom of why. It’s strange this hasn’t been higher in the news.
  • Options

I disagree we, changed PMs during both world wars.

And during the Crimean war, Boer War, the Chanak incident, the Ruhr...
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,955
    edited July 2019
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

.. a new EU Commission which takes office on November 1st. Don't you see a teeny-weeny little flaw here?
    The Withdrawal Agreement can be passed minus the backstop by October 31st as the Brady amendment showed already has a Commons majority, then as Merkel suggested today the technical solution for the Irish border can be dealt with in the Political Declaration and future relationship which is not legally binding
    If that does happen and works May would be within her rights to entitle her memoirs "Why the f*ck did you not do that earlier?" I fear were it so simple now it would indeed have happend on both sides - the EU or us could have shifted in various ways to mutual benefit but politics prevents.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

ydoethur said:

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

RH1992 said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

Honestly, what sort of a girl do you think I am?!

A decent Malbec and a nice meal, at the very least.
    But I'm a poor teacher, I was pitching for what I thought I could afford...
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,366
    dr_spyn said:

Email from outside the Labour Party network, how unusual, how exceptional, how extraordinary.

https://twitter.com/RaynerSkyNews/status/1152231538987274246/photo/1

What a wunch of bankers...

They are scum bags and morally corrupt. But bankers? That's harsh.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

dixiedean said:

Thanks.

The tanker we have repeatedly said we'll release as soon as they give us the appropriate assurances it isn't bound for Syria?
    Yes, of course it is that one. Are we expecting Iran to play fair suddenly?
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

dixiedean said:

Thanks.

Our new super carrier keeps taking on water and they can’t get to the bottom of why. It’s strange this hasn’t been higher in the news.
    If it keeps taking on water, surely it'll get to the bottom quite quickly?
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,356
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Stupid question as it relies on Boris extending not trying to prorogue Parliament etc to ensure Brexit on 31st October as he will do
    Nope, if Boris is trying to prorogue Parliament to deliver Brexit and MPs block him most Leavers will still back him if he refuses to extend
    I cannot understand why you have become so extreme and calling remainers 'diehard'.

Also to attack Cyclefree is uncalled for. She is a highly respected poster on this site and deserves that respect

We can disagree with each other but you are compromising your very extensive political knowledge by becoming far too intolerant

Lets have the previous moderate HYUFD back
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    IanB2 said:

rcs1000 said:

...and we’ll be following EU standards whether in or out. And Kippers will keep their ice pillows.
    Canada has - over the decades - pretty much replicated all US product standards. Firstly, because it increased choice for Canadian consumers, and reduced costs for businesses. More recently, because NAFTA has incredibly strict rules on the use of product standards as NTBs. (Which effectively mean that Mexico and Canada are obligated to follow the US.)

We will be like Canada.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

dixiedean said:

Thanks.

They can hardly complain about the treatment they get if they themselves behave like Donald Trump with 750cl of whisky inside him.

But more to the point, this just seems to be deliberately stoking matters. Very unwise of them with such an unstable human being in the White House.
  • Options
    So what would the outcry have been if we cut the Tory party leaders debate after 30 mins to go to 1st night of the proms? Ok blessed relief but a wee bit unfair
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I cannot understand why you have become so extreme and calling remainers 'diehard'.

Also to attack Cyclefree is uncalled for. She is a highly respected poster on this site and deserves that respect

We can disagree with each other but you are compromising your very extensive political knowledge by becoming far too intolerant

The one who thought leaving the EU was reckless and foolhardy?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

IanB2 said:

rcs1000 said:

Canada has - over the decades - pretty much replicated all US product standards. Firstly, because it increased choice for Canadian consumers, and reduced costs for businesses. More recently, because NAFTA has incredibly strict rules on the use of product standards as NTBs. (Which effectively mean that Mexico and Canada are obligated to follow the US.)

We will be like Canada.
    Yep. Farage and Co really did think Brexit would be the first domino leading to the collapse of the EU. None of the Brexiters really thought through a scenario where the EU would hold together and we’d be sitting alone outside the periphery.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    nichomar said:

So what would the outcry have been if we cut the Tory party leaders debate after 30 mins to go to 1st night of the proms? Ok blessed relief but a wee bit unfair

Speaking as both a musician and a politics nerd, I would far rather have watched the First Night, Last Night, or indeed Jedward at the Eurovision on a loop than any of those debates.

Edit - I meant Jemini, although tbf Jedward are not much better.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

You misunderstand HYUFD. His first loyalty is to Britain and the Conservative Party, whose interests are intertwined. What is good for the Conservative Party is good for Britain. And the polls clearly state that Brexit on 31 October, deal or no deal, is better for the Conservatives than extension.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

You misunderstand HYUFD. His first loyalty is to Britain and the Conservative Party, whose interests are intertwined. What is good for the Conservative Party is good for Britain. And the polls clearly state that Brexit on 31 October, deal or no deal, is better for the Conservatives than extension.
    But the story of current politics originates in the divergence of conservative party interests from our national ones.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

dixiedean said:

Thanks.

They can hardly complain about the treatment they get if they themselves behave like Donald Trump with 750cl of whisky inside him.

But more to the point, this just seems to be deliberately stoking matters. Very unwise of them with such an unstable human being in the White House.
    The last thing Trump wants is another Middle East war; that is why he cancelled the last attack. His problem is he is surrounded by Bush-era neocon warmongers like John Bolton, still convinced that knocking off tyrants and despots will bring democracy and peace.

Funny old world where Donald Trump is the voice of sanity.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

dixiedean said:

Thanks.

If it keeps taking on water, surely it'll get to the bottom quite quickly?

So far it has made it back to Portsmouth each time before that became a concern.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

dixiedean said:

Thanks.

The last thing Trump wants is another Middle East war; that is why he cancelled the last attack. His problem is he is surrounded by Bush-era neocon warmongers like John Bolton, still convinced that knocking off tyrants and despots will bring democracy and peace.

Funny old world where Donald Trump is the voice of sanity.
    One ill-advised tweet (and what other sort does he make?) and we'll have one anyway.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

rcs1000 said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

But the story of current politics originates in the divergence of conservative party interests from our national ones.
    Oh, I'm not saying the interests of the country and the Conservative Party are the same, I'm saying that I believe that is HYUFD's mindset.

But he can correct me if I'm wrong.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,995
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

dixiedean said:

Thanks.

When their ship was seized in Gibraltar, they promised to seize one back.
    We just weren't paying attention. Somethings may have distracted ministers...can't think what.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,380
    Emily Thornberry hospitalised after bike collision:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-49046447
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

IanB2 said:

rcs1000 said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Oh, I'm not saying the interests of the country and the Conservative Party are the same, I'm saying that I believe that is HYUFD's mindset.

But he can correct me if I'm wrong.
    At least it’s moving analysis of his posts along from “utter wank”? ;)
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

nichomar said:

Speaking as both a musician and a politics nerd, I would far rather have watched the First Night, Last Night, or indeed Jedward at the Eurovision on a loop than any of those debates.

Well we’ve had no painted wine crates or Manx kippers so it’s not going to be prime time Telly. Nothing worse than two people arguing about how much they agree with each other.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    ydoethur said:

Well, charm and a sense of humour will get you a very long way, with me anyway.

I am not ..... sssh, don't tell @Nigelb ...... that big a fan of coffee. Surely a Negroni is within reach. We could share straws......
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,085
    What kind of person ends their emails with "in solidarity"...
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

ydoethur said:

I am not ..... sssh, don't tell @Nigelb ...... that big a fan of coffee. Surely a Negroni is within reach. We could share straws......
    Well, that's an offer that nobody could refuse. But wouldn't Mr Cyclefree object?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

nichomar said:

Jemini scored nul points in 2003.
  • Options

People that will shaft you the first opportunity they get.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

nichomar said:

Jemini scored nul points in 2003.
    That's the one I was thinking of. Where they came in flat and got flatter.
  • Options
    Sir_GeoffSir_Geoff Posts: 41

Emily Thornberry hospitalised after bike collision:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-49046447

Has Jezza been seen in a white van, adorned with St George's Crosses?
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    We’ll probably wake up tomorrow to find we’re at war with Iran then look and see love island is trending on twitter.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

RH1992 said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

Diehard Remainer (n): a person wot believes that the Nakatomi Plaza should remain part of the EU.
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/IntelCrab/status/1152289340371996672

Not British registered but owned by a British company...
  • Options
    nichomar said:

We’ll probably wake up tomorrow to find we’re at war with Iran then look and see love island is trending on twitter.

You joke but is Amber going to couple up with Greg or Michael???
  • Options
    Off topic apologies.

What the heck is a British flagged vessel doing going near the straits of Hormuz without an escort? Surely their insurers would have that as a condition of cover?

If a RN vessel wasn't there then what are the Admiralty thinking?

Is the plan to release the tanker in Gibraltar in return and pretend nothing happened?
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    We need to nuke Tehran.

It's not a shi'ite idea, we need to put the Ayatollahs in their place.
  • Options

A little appreciated fact about the Ice Age is that at its height, say 20,000 years ago, the Persian Gulf would have been totally dry land, all the way from Basra to Hormuz. The Tigris and Euphrates were combined into one big river.
  • Options

Off topic apologies.

What the heck is a British flagged vessel doing going near the straits of Hormuz without an escort? Surely their insurers would have that as a condition of cover?

If a RN vessel wasn't there then what are the Admiralty thinking?

Is the plan to release the tanker in Gibraltar in return and pretend nothing happened?

That's roughly what the ambassador is saying.

Although he reiterated that Iran have acted illegally.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

I disagree we, changed PMs during both world wars.

And during the Crimean war, Boer War, the Chanak incident, the Ruhr...
    Tanker tit-for-tat might provide a convenient excuse for not handing over to Boris till after the start of the Commons recess, in order to completely exclude his being VONC'd by Labour on day one.
  • Options

We need to nuke Tehran.

Are these the Sunni lit uplands of Brexit?
  • Options

We need to nuke Tehran.

I was about to make a pun on Shias and Sunnis, before I remembered you are a Sunni.

Trouble is, this is quite possibly where this is going, as your Tweeter noted above.
  • Options

nichomar said:

I know the program exists but I did think it was love not Gove island. I wonder why it’s so popular I know nobody who admits to watching it.
  • Options

nichomar said:

I thought she was dating Kwasi Kwarteng
  • Options
    nichomar said:

nichomar said:

I know the program exists but I did think it was love not Gove island. I wonder why it’s so popular I know nobody who admits to watching it.
    My American wife watches this and last night asked me to bet on Michael and Amber winning :neutral:
  • Options
    nichomar said:

nichomar said:

Maybe you just have lots of friends who are classy and sophisticated?
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,328
    ydoethur said:

Cyclefree said:

ydoethur said:

Well, that's an offer that nobody could refuse. But wouldn't Mr Cyclefree object?
    What happens on PB, stays on PB. ;)
  • Options

nichomar said:

nichomar said:

My American wife watches this and last night asked me to bet on Michael and Amber winning :neutral:
    Is amber Rudd in it?
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

rcs1000 said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Lord Ashcroft's recent analysis suggests that the Conservatives and Labour support base is shifting similar to that for the Republicans and Democrats - the Conservatives are moving down from courting High (Financial) Security voters to Low Security ones.

Our National Interest has for too long been defined as the interests of our Betters. The people at the bottom have been screwed. I believe that Maggie would be courting the CDE voters now - and would have won.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Cyclefree said:

ydoethur said:

No.

He is currently gainfully employed being a project manager on a large building project in the Lake District.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

nichomar said:

nichomar said:

Maybe you just have lots of friends who are classy and sophisticated?
    No I’m afraid it’s sadder than that we just don’t stay up that late
  • Options
    nichomar said:

nichomar said:

nichomar said:

Is amber Rudd in it?
    ... with Michael Gove? My stomach is turning at the thought.
  • Options

Don't want to spread fake news, but that tweet could be read as implying a second tanker off course...
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

ydoethur said:

Cyclefree said:

ydoethur said:

No.

He is currently gainfully employed being a project manager on a large building project in the Lake District.
    Deal. A Negroni for loads of stories of useless lawyers!
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

We need to nuke Tehran.

I was about to make a pun on Shias and Sunnis, before I remembered you are a Sunni.

Trouble is, this is quite possibly where this is going, as your Tweeter noted above.
    I am as much of a good Sunni as I am President of the Mark Reckless fan club
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Don't want to spread fake news, but that tweet could be read as implying a second tanker off course...
    Superman III :lol:
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    dixiedean said:

That's exactly what it's suggesting.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

We need to nuke Tehran.

It's just the pun I came up with, while awesome as ever, could have been misunderstood. So I decided to refrain.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    dixiedean said:

And does. This one is Masdar. The earlier one is Stena Impero. British flagged.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Cyclefree said:

ydoethur said:

Cyclefree said:

ydoethur said:

No.

And bankers. Then I can come and tell your students what careers to avoid.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

ydoethur said:

Cyclefree said:

ydoethur said:

Cyclefree said:

ydoethur said:

No.

Got quite a few who want to be lawyers. Can't think offhand of any potential bankers.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

We need to nuke Tehran.

Are these the Sunni lit uplands of Brexit?
    The Sunil uplands, surely :lol:

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
  • Options

dixiedean said:

That's exactly what it's suggesting.
    Bollocks. One may be regarded as a kind of payback. Two is a dangerous escalation.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

We need to nuke Tehran.

It's just the pun I came up with, while awesome as ever, could have been misunderstood. So I decided to refrain.
    There’s some jokes that only I can get away with like

‘What makes a suicide bomber tick?’
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

We need to nuke Tehran.

There’s some jokes that only I can get away with like

‘What makes a suicide bomber tick?’
    Yes.

This might have been one of them, so I thought better of it.
  • Options
    Trump confirms 2 tankers. Bloody hell.
  • Options
    Events it’s always events
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,683

I always use 'In comradeship' in party emails.
  • Options

I always use 'In comradeship' in party emails.
    :s
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Cyclefree said:

ydoethur said:

Cyclefree said:

ydoethur said:

Cyclefree said:

ydoethur said:

No.

Got quite a few who want to be lawyers. Can't think offhand of any potential bankers.
    Sensible kids. Their heads get turned at university.

On a serious point I do talks about What Life is Really Like as a Lawyer and What I Wish I'd Known When I Was Younger, especially to girls, if that is ever of interest. Did one for International Womens Day this year. Role models - or just real life examples (not boring "I'm trying to sell my firm" ones) can be helpful.
This discussion has been closed.