Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » YouGov snap CON debate poll gives it to Stewart amongst all vo

Comments

• Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    justin124 said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

The Raabites seem to be going very much for Boris, which isn't much of a surprise (see Guardian live blog). Perhaps the vote totals of the other contenders won't change much this time round.

Those who appear to share his low standards of personal morality appear to be rallying to him - Michael Fallon and Damian Green who were both casualties of the Sex Pests affair. Then there is Andrea Jenkyns who had a bastard before marrying a fellow Tory MP.
    "... who had a bastard before marrying a fellow Tory MP."

The only bastard is you.
    I assure you I was not born out of wedlock.
    'Bastard' has many meanings. You are choosing to use a rather archaic one - and one which many of your co-religionists would disagree with. I chose to brand you with the everyday meaning. ;)

The child is innocent. It is not his or her fault that the parents were not married when he was conceived. He should not be called derogatory names because of it. Ezekiel 18:19-20 comes to mind.
    I agree totally that the child is innocent - and have said so on many occasions both on here and elsewhere. My condemnation is very much related to the parents - and the selfishness inherent in their conduct.
    9 Then Jesus told this story to some who had great confidence in their own righteousness and scorned everyone else: 10 “Two men went to the Temple to pray. One was a Pharisee, and the other was a despised tax collector. 11 The Pharisee stood by himself and prayed this prayer[a]: ‘I thank you, God, that I am not like other people—cheaters, sinners, adulterers. I’m certainly not like that tax collector! 12 I fast twice a week, and I give you a tenth of my income.’

13 “But the tax collector stood at a distance and dared not even lift his eyes to heaven as he prayed. Instead, he beat his chest in sorrow, saying, ‘O God, be merciful to me, for I am a sinner.’ 14 I tell you, this sinner, not the Pharisee, returned home justified before God. For those who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted.”
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,750
    So, has the number of Labour MPs who insist we must Brexit but who will actually lift a finger to see it happen actually gone up yet with Corbyn's latest maneuvers?

Has Rory been crowned emperor of the Tories yet?
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,298

kinabalu said:

PeterC said:

Better it were done quickly. Those expecting the great Corbyn pivot moment will wait a long time, IMO. There are two things to note about Corbyn 1/ he is a longstanding eurosceptic; 2/ he never changes.

1. Block any Tory Brexit.
    2. Thus force general election.
    3. Offer Ref/Remain in the manifesto for that election.
    4. Win it.

This (IMO) is the Labour gameplan.

And I like it. Can't fault it actually.
    Agreed. And this is why I think Labour should be Favs for most seats in the next election. Their issues are easier to solve than the Tory's are. Or at least are largely within their control.
    Not according to the '26' today who look as if they will vote for a WDA in order to leave on the 31st October
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190

IanB2 said:

TOPPING said:

The trade deficit seems to be predominantly from EU goods increasing from £6bn in 1998 to £40bn in 2008 to £93bn in 2018

https://www.ons.gov.uk/economy/nationalaccounts/balanceofpayments/timeseries/l87q/mret

whereas the trade deficit in goods with the non-EU has increased from £16bn in 1998 to £51bn in 2008 and then falling to £45bn in 2018.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/economy/nationalaccounts/balanceofpayments/timeseries/l87k/mret

Now there will be a multitude of factors affecting this but it does make me wonder whether the single market has been good for the UK economy.

Do I have all the answers to this ? Certainly not, I don't even have all the questions. But I'm certain there is a major problem here and its a problem many other PBers are in denial about.

Jesus fucking Christ. There is a problem you believe which is a trade deficit with the EU. You have no idea if it is a problem you just think it is and you think that if we leave the EU you can solve it. And you keep on banging on about it as if leaving the EU is the silver bullet and yet by your own admission you have no fucking clue whether or why or how it is a problem and what would solve it?

How do you think a trade deficit occurs? Because people here buy more stuff from abroad than people abroad buy stuff from us. There's a quick primer for you.

So how are you going to solve it by leaving the EU? Or FFS STFU with your trite "trade deficit" one liners.
    The collapse in the £ after the Brexit vote has surely made it worse, at least in the short to medium term.
    Wrong.

The UK balance of payments deficit:

2013 £90bn
    2014 £91bn
    2015 £93bn
    2016 £103bn
    2017 £68bn
    2018 £82bn

https://www.ons.gov.uk/economy/nationalaccounts/balanceofpayments/timeseries/hbop/pnbp
    What made it fall off a cliff in Q1 of 1999?
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,225

No idea what to expect today.

Me neither.

Johnson 140
    Jeremy 49
    Michael 46
    Sajid 40
    Rory 38
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited June 2019
    I see Jezza has come up with a new condition before he will back a referendum. Why doesn't he just go the whole hog and say it has to be held in a month beginning with W and has 6 sundays.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,082
    TOPPING said:

The trade deficit seems to be predominantly from EU goods increasing from £6bn in 1998 to £40bn in 2008 to £93bn in 2018

https://www.ons.gov.uk/economy/nationalaccounts/balanceofpayments/timeseries/l87q/mret

whereas the trade deficit in goods with the non-EU has increased from £16bn in 1998 to £51bn in 2008 and then falling to £45bn in 2018.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/economy/nationalaccounts/balanceofpayments/timeseries/l87k/mret

Now there will be a multitude of factors affecting this but it does make me wonder whether the single market has been good for the UK economy.

Do I have all the answers to this ? Certainly not, I don't even have all the questions. But I'm certain there is a major problem here and its a problem many other PBers are in denial about.

Jesus fucking Christ. There is a problem you believe which is a trade deficit with the EU. You have no idea if it is a problem you just think it is and you think that if we leave the EU you can solve it. And you keep on banging on about it as if leaving the EU is the silver bullet and yet by your own admission you have no fucking clue whether or why or how it is a problem and what would solve it?

How do you think a trade deficit occurs? Because people here buy more stuff from abroad than people abroad buy stuff from us. There's a quick primer for you.

So how are you going to solve it by leaving the EU? Or FFS STFU with your trite "trade deficit" one liners.
    22 years of consecutive trade deficit.

Perhaps you should Robert Smithson how the UK's net assets have changed during that period and then think if that trend can continue permanently.

But its so much easier to ignore problems and rant against anyone who asks questions.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

The Raabites seem to be going very much for Boris, which isn't much of a surprise (see Guardian live blog). Perhaps the vote totals of the other contenders won't change much this time round.

Those who appear to share his low standards of personal morality appear to be rallying to him - Michael Fallon and Damian Green who were both casualties of the Sex Pests affair. Then there is Andrea Jenkyns who had a bastard before marrying a fellow Tory MP.

The only bastard is you.
    'Bastard' has many meanings. You are choosing to use a rather archaic one - and one which many of your co-religionists would disagree with. I chose to brand you with the everyday meaning. ;)

The child is innocent. It is not his or her fault that the parents were not married when he was conceived. He should not be called derogatory names because of it. Ezekiel 18:19-20 comes to mind.
    I agree totally that the child is innocent - and have said so on many occasions both on here and elsewhere. My condemnation is very much related to the parents - and the selfishness inherent in their conduct.
    Ok, I'll bite. Why is it selfish?
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300

I see Jezza has come up with a new condition before he will back a referendum. Why doesn't he just go the whole hog and say it has to be held in a month beginning with W and has 6 sundays.

What government policy is the Leader of the Opposition opposing?
  • Options

26 labour mps do not like it. Sky now reporting on their letter and their demand to leave by the 31st October

Indeed. Interesting to see how that will play out. Wonder why they didn't vote for the WA? Because to quote a great (about to be) former PM "nothing has changed".

Personally, I think they are on shaky ground prioritizing delivering Brexit over the election of a Labour government.

Predict they will toe the line when the crunch comes.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850
    Ishmael_Z said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

The only bastard is you.

9 Then Jesus told this story to some who had great confidence in their own righteousness and scorned everyone else: 10 “Two men went to the Temple to pray. One was a Pharisee, and the other was a despised tax collector. 11 The Pharisee stood by himself and prayed this prayer[a]: ‘I thank you, God, that I am not like other people—cheaters, sinners, adulterers. I’m certainly not like that tax collector! 12 I fast twice a week, and I give you a tenth of my income.’

13 “But the tax collector stood at a distance and dared not even lift his eyes to heaven as he prayed. Instead, he beat his chest in sorrow, saying, ‘O God, be merciful to me, for I am a sinner.’ 14 I tell you, this sinner, not the Pharisee, returned home justified before God. For those who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted.”
    I think Justin is more of a fan of the rather sterner God who sent a pair of she-bears to maul 42 children who made fun of Elijah for going bald.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

IanB2 said:

TOPPING said:

The collapse in the £ after the Brexit vote has surely made it worse, at least in the short to medium term.
    Wrong.

The UK balance of payments deficit:

2013 £90bn
    2014 £91bn
    2015 £93bn
    2016 £103bn
    2017 £68bn
    2018 £82bn

https://www.ons.gov.uk/economy/nationalaccounts/balanceofpayments/timeseries/hbop/pnbp
    What made it fall off a cliff in Q1 of 1999?
    Don't know, probably a combination of factors (I'm sure some people would blame Brown/Blair/Labour)

What I think was more concerning is how the balance of payments and even more so the trade balance became 'stuck' in permanent deficit.

Previously there had been something of a sine curve pattern as the economic cycle progressed.
  • Options
    paulyork64paulyork64 Posts: 2,461

kinabalu said:

PeterC said:

Better it were done quickly. Those expecting the great Corbyn pivot moment will wait a long time, IMO. There are two things to note about Corbyn 1/ he is a longstanding eurosceptic; 2/ he never changes.

4. Win it.

Agreed. And this is why I think Labour should be Favs for most seats in the next election. Their issues are easier to solve than the Tory's are. Or at least are largely within their control.
    Not according to the '26' today who look as if they will vote for a WDA in order to leave on the 31st October
    In their letter they say they want the party to get behind a deal. they haven't said they would defy the party and back one.
  • Options
    MrsBMrsB Posts: 574
    GIN1138 said:

Rory is not a serious candidate. That became obvious last night. He's just trolling the other candidates and taking everyone for fools.

Can't believe so many [supposedly] serious people have been taken in by him.
    I can't believe so many supposedly serious people have been taken in by ANY of them
  • Options

kinabalu said:

PeterC said:

4. Win it.

In their letter they say they want the party to get behind a deal. they haven't said they would defy the party and back one.
    They will
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,304

TOPPING said:

Perhaps you should Robert Smithson how the UK's net assets have changed during that period and then think if that trend can continue permanently.

But its so much easier to ignore problems and rant against anyone who asks questions.
    Can you please explain to me how the EU has affected our balance of trade and what you think leaving will do to change things.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787

What government policy is the Leader of the Opposition opposing?
    Banning the Labour yellow star policy for Jewish party members ?!?
  • Options
    edited June 2019

In truth there is just the one condition - the clear commitment will be made in the event of an election. Otherwise it will be hedged.

This is the right approach IMO for the Opposition.

If they were in government, different story. But to get into government there must be an election. And if there is they will make the Ref commitment. Loop back to start of post.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

26 labour mps do not like it. Sky now reporting on their letter and their demand to leave by the 31st October

Indeed. Interesting to see how that will play out. Wonder why they didn't vote for the WA? Because to quote a great (about to be) former PM "nothing has changed".

Personally, I think they are on shaky ground prioritizing delivering Brexit over the election of a Labour government.

And lose their seats and labour its chance to govern
  • Options

kinabalu said:

PeterC said:

4. Win it.

They will
    Why would they now, when they, along with everyone else, was told the WA was at its final chance and the alternative was no Brexit, and they still mostly voted against it.

And it doesn't matter as since the Tory leadership hopefuls are committed to changing it, they won't vote for it again.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Its often easier to be against something than for something irrespective of whatever the current 'something' is.
  • Options

Yes, that is how I see it. I am a little scared of Johnson though. He does have appeal, amazingly.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

In truth there is just the one condition - the clear commitment will be made in the event of an election. Otherwise it will be hedged.

This is the right approach IMO for the Opposition.

If they were in government, different story. But to get into government there must be an election. And if there is they will make the Ref commitment. Loop back to start of post.
    And lose it. Labour needs leave seats and their mps will be lost if labour back a referendum, hence Corbyn fudging like mad
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,614
    justin124 said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

The only bastard is you.

Then you have a problem with nearly half the parents in the UK...
    https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/birthsdeathsandmarriages/livebirths/bulletins/birthsummarytablesenglandandwales/2017

The marriage status of parents is a pretty poor guide to their ‘selfishness’, or any other particular quality, in contemporary Britain.

• Options
    paulyork64paulyork64 Posts: 2,461

kinabalu said:

even if Labour have a 2nd referendum manifesto pledge it doesn't mean northern leave seats are lost. Most of their current vote is probably remain anyway and a resurgent Brexit party might take as many votes from the Tories as from Labour.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kinabalu said:

PeterC said:

4. Win it.

They will
    Why would they now, when they, along with everyone else, was told the WA was at its final chance and the alternative was no Brexit, and they still mostly voted against it.

And it doesn't matter as since the Tory leadership hopefuls are committed to changing it, they won't vote for it again.
    I see this ending with Boris fudging a PD and getting it past with the 26 labour mps or even more backing it
  • Options
    rpjs said:

Juche does appear to be the logical end point of Brexit though.

:smile:

Had to look that up. Juche. Learnt something there.

Yes, I see what you mean - under Kim Jong Johnson. What a thought.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

even if Labour have a 2nd referendum manifesto pledge it doesn't mean northern leave seats are lost. Most of their current vote is probably remain anyway and a resurgent Brexit party might take as many votes from the Tories as from Labour.
    That is not how the 26 see it.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,970
    Yet another pointless Vox pop on PM. The public is split on Brexit, surprise! Labour voters are split, Tory voters are split. We know. What purpose does it serve?
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,335
    kinabalu said:

No idea what to expect today.

Me neither.

Johnson 140
    Jeremy 49
    Michael 46
    Sajid 40
    Rory 38
    My book loves the Saj.
  • Options

And lose it. Labour needs leave seats and their mps will be lost if labour back a referendum, hence Corbyn fudging like mad

Disagree - I think the Remain pivot gives Labour the best chance of winning.

Still, what matters is what they think. We will see - assuming we do get that election, which is by no means a certainty.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,779
    kinabalu said:

Yes, that is how I see it. I am a little scared of Johnson though. He does have appeal, amazingly.
    I think he is aware of his own limitations. How could he not be I hear you say!

As PM he'll most likely find some good civil servants he can lean on. Whatever he is he's not messianic.

I think he will be PM, and I think overall he'll not be too bad.
  • Options
    MrsBMrsB Posts: 574
    IanB2 said:

1. is probably right (although more Indys would have hit the LDs also). Certainly the Tories would have been crucified if up against BXP council candidates as well.

2. is an overstatement. Of course the LibDems bounced back hardest in areas of past strength - which have the organisation and voter memory - but the reason they were able to do so well was significantly down to Brexit. Ask anyone in Chelmsford, or indeed most of Surrey

6. is somewhat complacent - the Euro election pattern doesn't need to be replicated in full for the two old parties to take a significant hit

7. may be right, but it's a question of the damage already being done rather than the opportunity not having been there in the first place, as the 2017 GE demonstrated

8. ditto. That your positioning is wrong doesn't necessarily mean a change is beneficial, since the people unhappy with the change are generally more willing to vote elsewhere than those pleased are to switch to you.
    coughs politely and wonders whether Labour have noticed that Penistone and Stocksbridge no longer has a Labour MP.......
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited June 2019
    Not very confident this time.

Prediction:

Johnson 137
    Hunt 48
    Gove 46
    Javid 42
    Stewart 40
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,124
    kinabalu said:

But isn't it based predominantly on his clownish aspects? Not the best qualification.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Still, what matters is what they think. We will see - assuming we do get that election, which is by no means a certainty.
    Have you read their letter and noted the signatures. Remain is toxic in the leave areas and Farage would have a field day
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,817
    What is the number we're looking out for today for a candidate to be sent packing?
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Prediction:

Boris 137
    Hunt 48
    Gove 46
    Javid 42
    Stewart 40

That could well be right.

I expect Tory MPs to manoeuvre to block Stewart.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Can you please explain to me how the EU has affected our balance of trade and what you think leaving will do to change things.
    I tried to explain my musings earlier in a reply to JJ.

The data shows that the UK trade deficit is primarily about trade with the EU and that this is a deficit which has greatly increased during the last two decades.

Perhaps that means that because of the faults and failings of the UK economy / UK society generally / UK politicians that we are fundamentally unsuited to being in a single market with countries which do not have the same problems.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929

kinabalu said:

PeterC said:

4. Win it.

Most seats and party providing the PM could be two different things come next election
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967
    GIN1138 said:

What is the number we're looking out for today for a candidate to be sent packing?

No number. Only the last is eliminated.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,304
    edited June 2019

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

The data shows that the UK trade deficit is primarily about trade with the EU and that this is a deficit which has greatly increased during the last two decades.

Perhaps that means that because of the faults and failings of the UK economy / UK society generally / UK politicians that we are fundamentally unsuited to being in a single market with countries which do not have the same problems.
    So what measures would you like to see introduced which would address that?

I mean it needs to be said that nearly half our trade is with the EU. So we might be in a bee stings ice cream situation here.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382

AndyJS said:

Prediction:

Boris 137
    Hunt 48
    Gove 46
    Javid 42
    Stewart 40

Typical - block the one most likely to win converts from other parties
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    AndyJS said:

Prediction:

Boris 137
    Hunt 48
    Gove 46
    Javid 42
    Stewart 40

I'm super-confident...

Boris 146
    Hunt 46
    Gove 48
    Javid 39
    Stewart 34

(most to Boris, some to Gove, peak Stewart)

PS Total guess, just in case anyone imagines I wasn't joking
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Liz Truss on PM following Raab on WATO in outlining Boris' policy for him. We are leaving on October 31 no ifs no buts. The EU, faced with such.resolution will hastily fold, most likely. His refusal to be interviewed is allowing everyone to project their own views onto him.
    It is a Corbynite Brexit strategy.

Except that the requirements of being in government will collapse the superposition a good deal more quickly.

• Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,995

If you look at countries around the world, trade deficits are a function of household savings rates. High household savings rate (Germany, Switzerland or Singapore) -> trade surplus. Low household savings rate (UK or US) -> trade deficit.

Countries which have gone from trade deficit to surplus (like Spain), have done so largely through increasing household savings rates. Sometimes this is done by increasing exports and the surplus not being spent. Sometimes it is done by suppressing consumption. And sometimes it's a mix of the two.

It's important to appreciate that British people don't demand EU "things". They demand things where the cheapest supply is from the EU.

Take wine. If we left the EU and entered into a free trade agreement with Australia/NZ, the chances are that Brits would drink almost exactly the same amount of wine as before, it's just that the changing tariffs would mean that we bought less French wine, and more Australian. Our trade balance wouldn't change, unless we either (a) started producing more wine (which would of course mean diverting agricultural land from other uses, probably netting us back at zero), or (b) drank less wine.
  • Options

kle4 said:

kinabalu said:

PeterC said:

4. Win it.

They will

I see this ending with Boris fudging a PD and getting it past with the 26 labour mps or even more backing it
    The chances of that sort of thing happening has been overpredicted every single time. You can see the release the Tories feel at not needing to vote for the WA again, I don't see that Boris can save it, not when he thinks it so terrible and promising th eBakers of the world we will leave with something better.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,817
    RobD said:

GIN1138 said:

Ah right. So whoever comes last is out?
  • Options

AndyJS said:

Prediction:

Boris 137
    Hunt 48
    Gove 46
    Javid 42
    Stewart 40

I still don't understand the reasoning behind that. On a political calculation, shouldn't it be better for Johnson if he faces his softest opponent on Brexit, rather than someone who can compete for the Brexiteer vote?

• Options
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

kinabalu said:

PeterC said:

4. Win it.

They will

The chances of that sort of thing happening has been overpredicted every single time. You can see the release the Tories feel at not needing to vote for the WA again, I don't see that Boris can save it, not when he thinks it so terrible and promising th eBakers of the world we will leave with something better.
    Time will tell
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967
    GIN1138 said:

RobD said:

GIN1138 said:

Wouldn't it be more interesting if those that came first were out? :p
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

rpjs said:

Juche does appear to be the logical end point of Brexit though.

:smile:

Had to look that up. Juche. Learnt something there.

Yes, I see what you mean - under Kim Jong Johnson. What a thought.
    Kim Jon Son...

There was a recent Korean drama called The Crowned Clown.

• Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,282

kinabalu said:

Have you read their letter and noted the signatures. Remain is toxic in the leave areas and Farage would have a field day
    Bringing BJ down is nevertheless a big prize for any Labour mP
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

kinabalu said:

Not if they lose their seats
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

kinabalu said:

Certainly if as an MP they are so diminutive to choose to use lower case for the 'm'. I thought only Farron was that short.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

If you look at countries around the world, trade deficits are a function of household savings rates. High household savings rate (Germany, Switzerland or Singapore) -> trade surplus. Low household savings rate (UK or US) -> trade deficit.

Countries which have gone from trade deficit to surplus (like Spain), have done so largely through increasing household savings rates. Sometimes this is done by increasing exports and the surplus not being spent. Sometimes it is done by suppressing consumption. And sometimes it's a mix of the two.

It's important to appreciate that British people don't demand EU "things". They demand things where the cheapest supply is from the EU.

Take wine. If we left the EU and entered into a free trade agreement with Australia/NZ, the chances are that Brits would drink almost exactly the same amount of wine as before, it's just that the changing tariffs would mean that we bought less French wine, and more Australian. Our trade balance wouldn't change, unless we either (a) started producing more wine (which would of course mean diverting agricultural land from other uses, probably netting us back at zero), or (b) drank less wine.
    If we go no deal and the £ collapses further, only Topping will be able to afford wine.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,782
    I'm off the clock. We there yet? We there yet? We there yet?
  • Options
    Chris said:

AndyJS said:

Prediction:

Boris 137
    Hunt 48
    Gove 46
    Javid 42
    Stewart 40

I still don't understand the reasoning behind that. On a political calculation, shouldn't it be better for Johnson if he faces his softest opponent on Brexit, rather than someone who can compete for the Brexiteer vote?

Stewart will spend a whole month putting Boris’s reputation through the mincer, and he’ll do it very well too and get a lot of publicity for it.

Boris doesn’t want to be a lame duck before he starts.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

So what measures would you like to see introduced which would address that?
    I'd like to see the country to live within its means, I'd like to see politicians stop promising tax cuts and spending increases, I'd like to see incentives to save rather than spend, I'd like to see more affordable housing, I'd like to see the trade balance reported in the news, I'd like to see attempts to boost productivity, increase exports and encourage wealth creation.

But I've given up hope on seeing that.

I'd settle for putting Robert Smithson in charge.
  • Options
    Chris said:

AndyJS said:

Prediction:

Boris 137
    Hunt 48
    Gove 46
    Javid 42
    Stewart 40

If I were Boris, the opponent I'd like the least is Hunt and the opponent I'd like the most is Javid.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Was that much the same thought as when you were on the clock?
  • Options
    Javid is 140 at the moment. Surely that'll drop quite a lot if he goes through.

https://www.betfair.com/exchange/plus/politics
  • Options
    _Anazina__Anazina_ Posts: 1,810
    Presumably the PB Tory Leave
    RobD said:

GIN1138 said:

RobD said:

GIN1138 said:

Wouldn't it be more interesting if those that came first were out? :p
    The rules would certainly serve the country better, were they that way
  • Options
    Seems to be a bit of confusion as to what happens if two candidates tie for last place. A replay of the round, or both knocked out?
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Javid is 140 at the moment. Surely that'll drop quite a lot if he goes through.

https://www.betfair.com/exchange/plus/politics

Even if he doesn’t that price was always wrong.

Way too long.
  • Options
    Could they not do the whole thing at once with STV or would that not be esxciting enough?
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,995
    rcs1000 said:

Just to add: countries with high levels of home ownership, and where house prices have risen historically tend also to run trade deficits*. Why? Because people feel they don't need to save because they have assets at the "Bank of Bricks & Mortar".

* Spain is an interesting example of this. Prices went through the roof, people felt rich. They spent beyond their means. The trade deficit shot up. House prices came down, and suddenly people had to save to compensate. Result, the trade deficit narrowed sharply.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,981

kle4 said:

kinabalu said:

PeterC said:

4. Win it.

They will

kinabalu said:

There’s a thread on Twitter today that says exactly that - even in the most leave seat Labours vote tends towards remain...
  • Options
    Omnium said:

viewcode said:

Was that much the same thought as when you were on the clock?
    Thinks.

Yes?
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    Ishmael_Z said:

Could they not do the whole thing at once with STV or would that not be esxciting enough?

That would take out all the fun of trying to predict the shifting skulduggery!
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

You've answered your own question.

Also, in fairness, a least a few days or weeks for this phase allows relative outsiders to develop a plan and support, or for relative frontrunners to reveal they cannot handle even slight pressure.
  • Options
    PendduPenddu Posts: 265
    And....?
  • Options
    Eyes down...
  • Options
    _Anazina__Anazina_ Posts: 1,810
    dixiedean said:

Yet another pointless Vox pop on PM. The public is split on Brexit, surprise! Labour voters are split, Tory voters are split. We know. What purpose does it serve?

VoxPops are universally awful, just an inane way of filling airtime. See also: Laura K. BBC News really is hopeless these days.
  • Options
    Result:

Johnson 143
    Hunt 54
    Gove 51
    Javid 38
    Stewart 27
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

AV. It’s AV.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

I understand all that but what happens if the UK savings rate doesn't increase - if we continue to over-consume ?

Because I don't see any willingness for that to change.

What's the end result if we continue to have a huge balance of payments deficit ?

I can't remember the data you've mentioned previously about how the UK's net foreign assets have changed but how long can that trend continue and where will we be in another ten or twenty years ?

Of course if we didn't have a free trade in wine with either the EU or with Aus/NZ then we would likely either drink less wine and/or replace it with either UK wine and beer - the import substitution which PB's alanbrooke is an advocate of.
  • Options
    Rory gone
  • Options
    Stewart gone.
  • Options
    Rory loses 10 votes.
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    Hoping for some trolltastic result like three of them on exactly 40.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Result:

Johnson 143
    Hunt 54
    Gove 51
    Javid 38
    Stewart 27

Woah. Stewart collapsed.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,641
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Just to add: countries with high levels of home ownership, and where house prices have risen historically tend also to run trade deficits*. Why? Because people feel they don't need to save because they have assets at the "Bank of Bricks & Mortar".

* Spain is an interesting example of this. Prices went through the roof, people felt rich. They spent beyond their means. The trade deficit shot up. House prices came down, and suddenly people had to save to compensate. Result, the trade deficit narrowed sharply.
    Or we might drink ale rather than foreign grape juice!
  • Options
    So someone lent Rory votes to get into the debate.
  • Options
    Whose Twitter feed should I be following for the quickest result?
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870
    OUCH.

How did Rory lose ten votes?
  • Options
    Rory was appealing to the wrong electorate.
  • Options
    DadgeDadge Posts: 2,038
    The Tory leadership election should've had a minimum vote requirement in each round. The process is going to take too long.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,004
    Oh well. :)
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Whose Twitter feed should I be following for the quickest result?

I think if you just stay on this page you'll get the result quicker than most
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,007
    Gove 51
    Hunt 54
    Javid 38
    Johnson 143
    Stewart 27

Stewart eliminated
  • Options
    Strange.
  • Options
    RobinWiggsRobinWiggs Posts: 621
    Dadge said:

The Tory leadership election should've had a minimum vote requirement in each round. The process is going to take too long.

All done tomorrow. Two rounds in one day.
  • Options
    Tory MPs obviously weren't impressed with Rory's TV performance.
  • Options

OUCH.

How did Rory lose ten votes?

A number of people not really fully behind him wanted to see how he'd do in the debate, weren't particularly impressed, and went back to their preferred candidate.
  • Options
    Dadge said:

Over tomorrow
  • Options
    Is that it for Javid?
  • Options
    Looks like Conservative MPs weren't impressed by Rory's performance even if voters claim they were.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,007
    edited June 2019
    Dadge said:

4 candidates left, 2 rounds tomorrow then we have the final 2
This discussion has been closed.