Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The latest PB / Polling Matters podcast asks two big questions

Comments

• Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 14,141
    An interesting thought for people on both sides of the debate is what will happen if Bozo puts "No Deal" in the manifesto. What does the One Nation group do? Set out individual manifestos? Or just ignore it like those on the left of Labour used to do in the Blair days?
  • DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    edited June 2019

eek said:

Right if we are talking dates:-

Boris is elected on July 22nd.
    Convention is to hold elections on a Thursday and there must be 25 working days thanks to the FTPA between an election being called and it being held.

That means to hold one on 29th August Parliament most agree to it (434 votes minimum) by July 23rd.

So August isn't a runner

September 5th is just about possible but I would expect it to be September 12th as I'm away then...

September 5th isn't possible as Parliament wouldn't still be sitting to trigger an election on that date.

Parliament returns on the 5th, so elections in mid October onwards are the first opportunity. And what an opportunity for Bozza - "vote for me this Thursday (24th) and we leave the EU next Thursday (31st). Huzzah!"
    The EU would love that: an election a week before Brexit which could return a government that revokes Article 50.
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 41,132
    Nigelb said:

Tulsi Gabbard was a pretty good value lay at 20, too.

Also missed that. Lumped on 'Kamala' at 8/1 instead.

Ah well - I have my little triumphs too.
  • justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527

The cretins on The Labour Party [Facebook] Forum keep insisting we can ignore polls as WE WON PETERBOROUGH. So out of interest I have taken the Peterborough changes in that seat vs 2017, and replicated Labour's triumph across the country making those same changes vs the general election totals:

Con: 17% (-25%)
    Lab: 23% (-17%)
    LD: 16% (+9%)
    BXP: 29% (+29%)

Electoral Calculus gives a Brexit Party majority of 66. Clearly #jc4pm as the cancer cult wazzocks keep insisting

That makes little sense because there was no BXP candidate in 2017.Both Tory and Labour support would have been lower had there been such an option - or UKIP candidate.
  • StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092

Ladbrokes have gone out with Johnson 10-1 to get under 130 votes in the second ballot.

Where are you seeing that?
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 53,130

kinabalu said:

I liked Bernard Manning too. And yes there is a lot of him in Boris Johnson. Both very funny. Both about equally suitable to be PM.

Ukraine recently elected a TV comedian :)
    Yes, he played a spoof president on a TV show. I’ll be there in a couple of weeks, will report back.

• TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 42,459
    edited June 2019
    kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

I will have a lot of thinking to do. I loathe him and have said I would resign my membership if he becomes leader. But...but...Jeremy Corbyn as PM? Unfathomable.

So what are the scenarios ? I am going to do a @kinabalu to refine my thinking while writing.

1) Calls GE wins off he goes into the sunset (sans moi but he'll live with it)
    2) Calls GE loses gets booted out
    3) Doesn't call GE but then, as per @Mysticrose's arithmetic, has the sword of Damocles hanging over his head for the next three years.

I am torn. all logic says that the probabilities should be:

1) 40%
    2) 40%
    3) 20%

But you know my view on the WA being the only option possible and BoZo doing something creative PR-wise with it in which case the odds switch to:

1) 20%
    2) 20%
    3) 60%

I'm glad I've cleared that up for everyone. Your welcome.

Meaning a 4 in 5 chance that as I slice the turkey this year - and as always refuse both to wear a paper hat and eat any parsnips - Boris Johnson is our PM.

Oh.

Trouble is, I think I agree. So thanks a bunch. For nothing.
    That's crazy talk.

Parsnips are delicious. As long as they are very very nearly roasted to a crisp. Get a grip of yourself man*.

*assumption, here.

Edit: fine with the no hat.
  • Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    BoZo is afraid to appear in front of a TV audience.

Corbyn did Glastonbury.

The General Election campaign is going to be mental...
  • Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 14,141
    TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

I will have a lot of thinking to do. I loathe him and have said I would resign my membership if he becomes leader. But...but...Jeremy Corbyn as PM? Unfathomable.

So what are the scenarios ? I am going to do a @kinabalu to refine my thinking while writing.

3) Doesn't call GE but then, as per @Mysticrose's arithmetic, has the sword of Damocles hanging over his head for the next three years.

1) 40%
    2) 40%
    3) 20%

But you know my view on the WA being the only option possible and BoZo doing something creative PR-wise with it in which case the odds switch to:

1) 20%
    2) 20%
    3) 60%

Meaning a 4 in 5 chance that as I slice the turkey this year - and as always refuse both to wear a paper hat and eat any parsnips - Boris Johnson is our PM.

Oh.

That's crazy talk.

Parsnips are delicious. As long as they are very very nearly roasted to a crisp. Get a grip of yourself man*.

*assumption, here.
    they are the Devil's food
  • paulyork64paulyork64 Posts: 2,505

Ladbrokes have gone out with Johnson 10-1 to get under 130 votes in the second ballot.

Where are you seeing that?
    they've taken that market down now.
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,995
    Scott_P said:

Corbyn did Glastonbury.

Boris did the "Hello Wembley" event in 2016.
    viewcode said:

Labour is becoming the party of the anti-Semites and not-bothered about the EU
    Con is becoming the party of the anti-Muslims and the Leavers
    Lib is becoming the party of the not-bothered-about-religion and the Remainers
    Brexit is becoming the party of the not-bothered-about-religion and the Leavers

How the hell we ended up with that is an interesting story, but not one I will have the time to deduce any time soon... :(

I ought to be switching to LibDem if you're right. Fact I'll go further - if you're right I WILL switch to LibDem.

PS: For clarity in case it read a bit weird, my 'Uncle Tom' ref had nothing to do with Jewish matters - I'm talking about the working class man who makes a few bob and goes true blue Tory.
  • Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    tlg86 said:

That's while he was still the "successful Mayor of London" and not "the worst Foreign Secretary still living"
  • Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 14,248
    tlg86 said:

Scott_P said:

Corbyn did Glastonbury.

Not sure a repeat gig would go too well.....
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,503
    Good afternoon, everyone.

Not enough time to check out the podcast today probably, but given the turbulent times it should be quite intriguing.
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    What if Boris flat lines in the next round, only puts on 10 votes?
  • eekeek Posts: 27,352
    Chris said:

eek said:

Right if we are talking dates:-

Boris is elected on July 22nd.
    Convention is to hold elections on a Thursday and there must be 25 working days thanks to the FTPA between an election being called and it being held.

That means to hold one on 29th August Parliament most agree to it (434 votes minimum) by July 23rd.

So August isn't a runner

September 5th is just about possible but I would expect it to be September 12th as I'm away then...

September 5th isn't possible as Parliament wouldn't still be sitting to trigger an election on that date.

Parliament returns on the 5th, so elections in mid October onwards are the first opportunity. And what an opportunity for Bozza - "vote for me this Thursday (24th) and we leave the EU next Thursday (31st). Huzzah!"
    Hasn't he just said he's not aiming to leave without a deal? How could he do otherwise in those circumstances?

Or is the idea that he'll be negotiating a new deal at the same time as fighting a general election campaign?

Yep - that's why an election only works if it's called in July when Parliament might be sitting - it doesn't need to go into recess....
  • CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Anyone know where this assumption that if someone does well in the leadership election that somehow guarantees them a place in the ensuing cabinet? I mean, if Boris ( or whoever ) doesn’t ask Hancock to be the teaboy, what the hell can Hancock do about it, other than fester on the backbenches?

Nothing.

But to actually get to run you must have demonstrated to colleagues some ability. So makes sense to use that knowledge. There is also the need to have a balanced Cabinet that represents the party (in normal times anyway).
    Big assumption

Sam Gyimah

QED
    Alistair said:

He may well flat-line after all the value is in determining who ends up against him...
    eek said:

Alistair said:

He may well flat-line after all the value is in determining who ends up against him...
    If he was smart he would have lent votes to other candidates in round 1 and will take some of them back in the next round.
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 49,505
    edited June 2019
    148grss said:

FWIW, the Flavible projection of the YouGov poll gives:

BXP: 289
    Lib Dem: 141
    Lab: 117
    SNP: 51
    Con: 28

https://flavible.com/politics/map/polls?sid=2071

I so wish more places would use cartograms so I can see at a glance what seat distribution looks like.
    Labour in the cities, SNP in Scotland, BXP in the Danelaw, and LibDems in the SW and Home Counties. Tories pushed back to their Athelney marshes which appear to be the Pennines and West Midlands.
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    eek said:

Alistair said:

That's why I'm contempalting it.

We've determined this betting market is filled with stupid punters who kept Leadsom's price ridiculously short. Would these self same punters hilariously over-react to Boris not steaming ahead and lengthen his price?
    kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

1) 40%
    2) 40%
    3) 20%

1) 20%
    2) 20%
    3) 60%

Oh.

Boris is about the only one who could pull off a reverse ferret of some kind. Revoking really isn't an option but I could see him leaving with a very slight variation of May's deal.

TOPPING said:

That's crazy talk.

*assumption, here.

:smile:

Take your word for it on the parsnips. Actually, I probably would love them but it's a family tradition that I don't have them. Dates from when I was 10. You know how it is, you get stereotyped - locked in.

BTW, re the ghastly Johnson not doing media, I would like to demonstrate my balance and objectivity by saying that IMO it does not demonstrate cowardice or weakness on his part. He has this in the bag and therefore it makes no sense to take any risks that he does not have to. It's good and sound tactics, nothing more.
  • Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,582
    Owen Jones's screeds on ChUK have been most entertaining. I quite like this bit from his latest:

When Umunna and his motley crew launched their burning skip of a political party, they relentlessly declared that “politics is broken”. Let me gently suggest that if this is indeed true, Umunna should cast his gaze at the nearest mirror (not something I imagine he is averse to doing anyway).

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/jun/14/chuka-umunna-labour-liberal-democrat-hypocrisy
  • RobDRobD Posts: 59,541
    kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

That's crazy talk.

*assumption, here.

Take your word for it on the parsnips. Actually, I probably would love them but it's a family tradition that I don't have them. Dates from when I was 10. You know how it is, you get stereotyped - locked in.

BTW, re the ghastly Johnson not doing media, I would like to demonstrate my balance and objectivity by saying that IMO it does not demonstrate cowardice or weakness on his part. He has this in the bag and therefore it makes no sense to take any risks that he does not have to. It's good and sound tactics, nothing more.
    Like May had the 2017 election in the bag? :)
  • SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    edited June 2019
    Scott_P said:

Corbyn did Glastonbury.

Glastonbury all anti Semitic too?
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 42,459
    edited June 2019
    kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

That's crazy talk.

*assumption, here.

I was just about to post what @RobD typed word for word!!
    Spooky, @TOPPING. Are we sure we aren’t the same person?
  • algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 11,990
    kinabalu said:

viewcode said:

How the hell we ended up with that is an interesting story, but not one I will have the time to deduce any time soon... :(

I ought to be switching to LibDem if you're right. Fact I'll go further - if you're right I WILL switch to LibDem.

PS: For clarity in case it read a bit weird, my 'Uncle Tom' ref had nothing to do with Jewish matters - I'm talking about the working class man who makes a few bob and goes true blue Tory.
    It seems to me that if we remain/revoke (which I think will in fact happen) then for the foreseeable future parties will continue to be identified by reference to attitude to the EU; but if we leave then eventually the split among the parties will have to coalesce around other issues. I don't think there is any way of telling what those will be, except that the old splits between people who are fond of making money and people who are fond of spending other people's, people who create jobs and people who think they have right to one is bound to remain.

Identifying Tories and anti Muslims is a simplification. They have much in common, and the coalition of Labour and urban Islam has a lot of cracks in it.

• kle4kle4 Posts: 94,914
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

The usual completely over the top nonsense about Johnson this morning. Is this a competition and if so what's the prize? If its just virtue signalling its getting a tad tedious.

Nothing more tedious than the phrase "virtue signalling".
    A fair point.
    I disagree, i think it a useful phrase for both left and right to describe a very common behaviour that does not mean a view is insincere, but that there are clearly self satisfactory motives at play.
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,503
    Mr. kinabalu, roast parsnips are fantastic (and you can do carrots at the same time).
  • Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

That's crazy talk.

*assumption, here.

Wrong, because getting the PMship is the least important part of it. Once in post he needs the political clout of a love child of JFK and Maggie Thatcher if he is to get anything useful done. To start out as the man who cautiously skulked his way into number 10 is to fail.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,415
    kinabalu said:

Nigelb said:

Tulsi Gabbard was a pretty good value lay at 20, too.

Also missed that. Lumped on 'Kamala' at 8/1 instead.

Ah well - I have my little triumphs too.
    Missed that.

But got Bernie at 4.
    The Sanders/Warren crossover has been profitable.

Scott_P said:

Corbyn did Glastonbury.

The Glastonbury crowd is, I would guess, slightly more welcoming of aged leftists than a TV audience might be to Boris, not much courage is needed.
    matt said:

They certainly seem very effective at stringing people along, as your posts on the subject (they’re bound to..., the next announcement will..., they cannot but...) prove. I guess they are right in assuming their voter base will essentially do what they’re told. Baaa.

To me, the Labour policy on Brexit is perfectly reasonable and perfectly clear. It is as follows -

Oppose any 'Tory Brexit' in the hope of forcing a general election - since a GE is the only way to move from opposition into government.

If the GE is successfully forced, or is called by Johnson, offer a renegotiated 'softer' Brexit (CU plus SM alignment) with a subsequent confirmatory Referendum against Remain. Put that up against the Tory offering of 'proper' Hard Brexit. Hope to win off the back of Remainer sentiment.

It is not clear to me what more they could reasonably be expected to do whilst they remain in Opposition.

In particular, why make their GE commitment before there is a GE?
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 53,130

He will go to the country. 17th or 24th October.

That would be way too late and would mean we'd effectively have the longest general election campaign in history in which there'd be a risk the Tories would fade into irrelevance by the time of the vote.

Johnson's best bet would be an immediate snap election with a shock and awe short campaign. It would be a high stakes gamble but it stands a chance of working.
    September election still 10 on Betfair.

I’m slowly topping up at this price.
  • CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    kinabalu said:

The price for Rory Stewart is inexplicable on the evidence in front of us.

Has not been a better 20s lay for many a moon.
    @SeanT might disagree with you
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 61,335
    Test
  • CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,269
    Maybe the only way the Boris bandwagon can be stopped is not through scandal or gaffes but if one Mrs May (remember her?) were to endorse him, saying sweetly while she does so, that she knows he is at heart a pragmatist, is clever enough to have learnt from her mistake in tacking too far to the ERG and knows from his FO experience what is / is not realistically available from the EU. She can end by saying that he is far too much of a patriot to want to take the sorts of risks with peoples’ lives that a no Deal exit would entail.

And then wish him luck and all her support while smoothly moving onto all the lovely holidays she and Philip have planned.

Perhaps in an interview in this weekend’s Sundays .....

Owen Jones's screeds on ChUK have been most entertaining. I quite like this bit from his latest:

When Umunna and his motley crew launched their burning skip of a political party, they relentlessly declared that “politics is broken”. Let me gently suggest that if this is indeed true, Umunna should cast his gaze at the nearest mirror (not something I imagine he is averse to doing anyway).

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/jun/14/chuka-umunna-labour-liberal-democrat-hypocrisy

He may be enjoying himself now, but he has clearly missed that his chum Jezza has managed to lose a shed load of remainers to the Liberals, and they might not be coming back for a very long time.
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 29,266
    Cyclefree said:

Maybe the only way the Boris bandwagon can be stopped is not through scandal or gaffes but if one Mrs May (remember her?) were to endorse him, saying sweetly while she does so, that she knows he is at heart a pragmatist, is clever enough to have learnt from her mistake in tacking too far to the ERG and knows from his FO experience what is / is not realistically available from the EU. She can end by saying that he is far too much of a patriot to want to take the sorts of risks with peoples’ lives that a no Deal exit would entail.

And then wish him luck and all her support while smoothly moving onto all the lovely holidays she and Philip have planned.

Sadly, though, that would display a level of political nous so far absent from her career as PM.
  • noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 22,055
    kinabalu said:

matt said:

They certainly seem very effective at stringing people along, as your posts on the subject (they’re bound to..., the next announcement will..., they cannot but...) prove. I guess they are right in assuming their voter base will essentially do what they’re told. Baaa.

To me, the Labour policy on Brexit is perfectly reasonable and perfectly clear. It is as follows -

Oppose any 'Tory Brexit' in the hope of forcing a general election - since a GE is the only way to move from opposition into government.

If the GE is successfully forced, or is called by Johnson, offer a renegotiated 'softer' Brexit (CU plus SM alignment) with a subsequent confirmatory Referendum against Remain. Put that up against the Tory offering of 'proper' Hard Brexit. Hope to win off the back of Remainer sentiment.

It is not clear to me what more they could reasonably be expected to do whilst they remain in Opposition.

The country is roughly divided equally in three, a third want to leave asap, a third want to remain at all costs and a middle third who either want a pragmatic solution or do not care.

The Labour policy can only appeal to the half of the middle third who do not care. It is going to excite no-one, and is aggravating the other 5/6 of the electorate for differing reasons (being too remainy, too leavy, or being obstructive).
  • OllyTOllyT Posts: 5,006
    kinabalu said:

Labour's problem is that it will be offering a referendum which according to the JC would be between his unicorn cake deal and no deal. Remain would not be on the ballot.

Which means that no remainer will switch back...

It would be utterly bonkers electorally for Labour to offer the Referendum but without Remain as an option. I cannot believe they would do that.

If they do, I completely agree with you - goodnight vienna.

Hence why I am certain they won't.
    The only circumstances in which I can see myself voting at all in the GE would be if Labour are offering a 2nd referendum with a remain option. ( I live in a Con-Lab Marginal)
    Ishmael_Z said:

Wrong, because getting the PMship is the least important part of it. Once in post he needs the political clout of a love child of JFK and Maggie Thatcher if he is to get anything useful done. To start out as the man who cautiously skulked his way into number 10 is to fail.

I agree with you but I bet Johnson doesn’t. If the word on the street is right then getting the job is for him very much not the least important thing - it is the ONLY thing and has been since he was spanking his fag at Eton. Sorry at 'School'.
  • Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,821
    Cyclefree said:

I like it!
    Charles said:

@SeanT might disagree with you

Ah well I wouldn't know about that - unfortunately.
  • RH1992RH1992 Posts: 788

He may be enjoying himself now, but he has clearly missed that his chum Jezza has managed to lose a shed load of remainers to the Liberals, and they might not be coming back for a very long time.
    Even if Corbyn were to tank, he would never blame him. Owen is always out the next day after another defeat for Corbyn claiming that it's the fault of everyone else for not listening to Corbyn's vision.

Cyclefree said:

I like it!
    Better wait for Raab to be out of the contest first, I would suggest.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 51,575
    kle4 said:

Scott_P said:

Corbyn did Glastonbury.

The Glastonbury crowd is, I would guess, slightly more welcoming of aged leftists than a TV audience might be to Boris, not much courage is needed.
    Anyone think Corbyn would risk another Glasto appearence? It might not go quite so well this time.....
  • Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,821
    tlg86 said:

Cyclefree said:

I like it!
    Better wait for Raab to be out of the contest first, I would suggest.
    Good point!
    Boris says he doesn't aim for or want a WTO Brexit.

Can he win back BXP voters who have become so infected with the virus that they all want a WTO Brexit and they want it now?
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 50,526

Cyclefree said:

I like it!
    The problem is it might not be enough to stop him winning the leadership, but would sink him in the GE.
    Nigelb said:

Missed that.

But got Bernie at 4.
    The Sanders/Warren crossover has been profitable.

I would love to see Warren win the nomination and then beat Trump.

Love it so much that I use the word in its Kevin Keegan sense.
  • mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    kinabalu said:

matt said:

Hope and wishful thinking, then. Perhaps you’ll be proved correct but there’s precious little evidence to date.

Can he win back BXP voters who have become so infected with the virus that they all want a WTO Brexit and they want it now?

I suspect most Brexit Party voters just want a Brexit that doesn't leave us still largely in. If only the EU weren't so fucking blinkered, there'd be a deal to be done this mass of voters would sign off on... But in the absence of that, yes, WTO holds no fear for them.
  • CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,269

Cyclefree said:

I like it!
    You’re a well-connected Tory member. Pass it on!
    algarkirk said:

It seems to me that if we remain/revoke (which I think will in fact happen) then for the foreseeable future parties will continue to be identified by reference to attitude to the EU; but if we leave then eventually the split among the parties will have to coalesce around other issues. I don't think there is any way of telling what those will be, except that the old splits between people who are fond of making money and people who are fond of spending other people's, people who create jobs and people who think they have right to one is bound to remain.

Identifying Tories and anti Muslims is a simplification. They have much in common, and the coalition of Labour and urban Islam has a lot of cracks in it.

Do you on the whole consider The Wealthy and The Wealth Creators to be the same group of people?
  • nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    kinabalu said:

Ishmael_Z said:

I agree with you but I bet Johnson doesn’t. If the word on the street is right then getting the job is for him very much not the least important thing - it is the ONLY thing and has been since he was spanking his fag at Eton. Sorry at 'School'.
    It will make up for not being made school captain which he apparently was his by right.

"Utterly Bonkers" - you've met Corbyn supporters then...

But don't most Corbyn supporters WANT the Referendum with Remain option?
  • AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    Strafford MP, Jeremy Lefroy, announced he will retire at next GE.

He was first elected in 2010. I must confess I haven't heard of him before his retirement's announcement.
  • nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483

I suspect most Brexit Party voters just want a Brexit that doesn't leave us still largely in. If only the EU weren't so fucking blinkered, there'd be a deal to be done this mass of voters would sign off on... But in the absence of that, yes, WTO holds no fear for them.
    That’s because they don’t know what it is. I’ve challenged several people, when claiming we leave on wto terms, exactly what they mean. They have no idea they think it means free trade with th world.
    RobD said:

Well that is a stonking point obviously.

But Boris’s lead with Tory MPs really does look impregnable barring 'accidents'.

And then he will have to do the hustings for the grassroots.
  • ChrisChris Posts: 11,687

He was first elected in 2010. I must confess I haven't heard of him before his retirement's announcement.

Stafford.
    nichomar said:

That’s because they don’t know what it is. I’ve challenged several people, when claiming we leave on wto terms, exactly what they mean. They have no idea they think it means free trade with th world.
    Let's hope they never find out what it really means. Cos they aint gonna be happy...

Mr. kinabalu, roast parsnips are fantastic (and you can do carrots at the same time).

OK you have talked me into it.

And in the vanishingly unlikely event of anybody having the remotest interest in knowing this, I can say in all sincerity that carrots are my favourite vegetable. I even like them raw.
  • noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 22,055
    algarkirk said:

kinabalu said:

viewcode said:

Where would someone whose view is f... business sit?

Could we please have one party which is pro business, investment and good jobs but anti rentiers, asset strippers and unearnt inherited wealth.
    kinabalu said:

RobD said:

But Boris’s lead with Tory MPs really does look impregnable barring 'accidents'.

Shall we go back and review PB the days after May called the 2017 election? :p
  • Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 61,830
    Cyclefree said:

Great idea Cyclefree
    nichomar said:

Well it is for those countries exporting o us - not so much for our exports
  • Strafford MP, Jeremy Lefroy, announced he will retire at next GE.

A remainer in a Brexit voting seat. Perhaps he can see the writing on the wall for the hardcore remainers in the Tory party.

A remainer in a Brexit voting seat. Perhaps he can see the writing on the wall for the hardcore remainers in the Tory party.
    Perhaps he will now enjoy having nothing to lose?
  • oldpoliticsoldpolitics Posts: 455
    kinabalu said:

RobD said:

Not sure it's wise to regard anything Boris is in contact with as "impregnable", particularly if there's an "accident".
  • notme2notme2 Posts: 1,006

But he voted for the WA, if the headbangers in the ERG had done the same we would now be out.
  • BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 8,307
    The latest YouGov poll was taken on 9/10 June i.e. last Sunday/Monday when the papers were full of Boris being the favourite for next PM.

In spite of this, the Tories got 17% in the poll. 17%. Where is the Boris effect?
    Labour only got 19%. The two main parties got 26% and 22%.

On the EMA, the Tories are on 186 seats, Lab on 284, LD on 37 and Brex on 63.
    notme2 said:

But he voted for the WA, if the headbangers in the ERG had done the same we would now be out.
    For the millionth time, no we wouldn't. Not without the DUP. And what evidence do you have that THEY would have voted for the WA? Cuz I've seen squat....
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 27,525
    GIN1138 said:

Before the next leadership contest Rory needs to gorge on junk food and fatten himself up a bit! :D
    With his luck it would probably all go to his ears.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,415

notme2 said:

For the millionth time, no we wouldn't. Not without the DUP. And what evidence do you have that THEY would have voted for the WA? Cuz I've seen squat....
    What evidence do you have that no one in Labour would have voted for it, had there been a solid Tory vote in favour of ?
  • nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    kinabalu said:

matt said:

How would Labour campaign if it’s their deal v Remain . And waiting very close to a GE to come out for another vote looks like desperation . And how many pro EU Labour voters would trust Corbyn to deliver .
    edited June 2019

The country is roughly divided equally in three, a third want to leave asap, a third want to remain at all costs and a middle third who either want a pragmatic solution or do not care.

The Labour policy can only appeal to the half of the middle third who do not care. It is going to excite no-one, and is aggravating the other 5/6 of the electorate for differing reasons (being too remainy, too leavy, or being obstructive).

OK - but my main point is that it makes sense for Labour to announce that their policy in government would be Referendum with Remain option ONLY if and when there is a general election that could put them into government.

Why make the big announcement now? What is the advantage to that? How would it make a Labour government more likely?

Same question to your fellow sceptic 'Matt'.
    notme2 said:

There aren't that many ERGers.
  • kjohnwkjohnw Posts: 1,456
    Assuming BJ wins , who do PBers think will get the chancellor slot?
    kjohnw said:

Truss
    RobD said:

notme2 said:

The impact of their support would have seen it through.

notme2 said:

Yes, we would.
  • StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    IanB2 said:

kjohnw said:

Truss
    Truss is lengthening in the Next Chancellor market: now 2/1 with Shadsy. Javid in to 8/1
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 56,140
    kjohnw said:

Raab, Gove or Hunt, I suspect.

He'll need to reward those who got closest to him. I suspect Rory Stewart will be out on his ear, or off to Northern Ireland, mind.
  • rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 8,115
    kjohnw said:

I really hope he hasn't promised it to JRM
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 56,140

notme2 said:

Y0kel is extremely well connected in that space, and he said that if the WA had been going to pass they would have voted for it, but they weren't going to waste their votes on a doomed measure.
  • isamisam Posts: 41,118
    edited June 2019
    rcs1000 said:

kjohnw said:

Raab, Gove or Hunt, I suspect.

He'll need to reward those who got closest to him. I suspect Rory Stewart will be out on his ear, or off to Northern Ireland, mind.
    Drove past this Butchers in Hornchurch earlier and thought of you!

Specialists in ‘Cured’ meat 😊
    RobD said:

notme2 said:

I seem to recall if all tories had voted for it last time it would have gone through without DUP. Of course that includes some non ERG hold outs.
    edited June 2019
    nico67 said:

How would Labour campaign if it’s their deal v Remain . And waiting very close to a GE to come out for another vote looks like desperation . And how many pro EU Labour voters would trust Corbyn to deliver .

Perhaps take a neutral position. Allow Labour MPs to campaign on either side.

I don't think it would look desperate to unveil the commitment at GE time - I think it would have great impact and also not appear too cynical because they would clearly have been moving in that direction for a long time.
  • AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    In which Fraser Nelson levels-up on Brexit derangement:

https://twitter.com/FraserNelson/status/1139542936293695488
    edited June 2019
    rcs1000 said:

notme2 said:

Y0kel is extremely well connected in that space, and he said that if the WA had been going to pass they would have voted for it, but they weren't going to waste their votes on a doomed measure.
    Which is even worse than being against it. If that's true what a bunch of arses they are . Vote for it or dont but after several tries do so on merit, not posturing.
  • StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    rcs1000 said:

notme2 said:

Very odd party the DUP. Say against WA due to strong principles, but would have voted for it if it was likely to pass. Huh?

Would Ruthie vote for independence if she thought that Yes would win?

In which Fraser Nelson levels-up on Brexit derangement:

https://twitter.com/FraserNelson/status/1139542936293695488

While I am sceptical of how populist is often used as a term, that's an odd view he has taken that because it's a single issue simplistic message party it cannot be so.
  • ChrisChris Posts: 11,687
    edited June 2019
    He's assured of a place in the fnal two now. Why does he need to keep saying this now, before he even knows who else will be on the members' ballot paper? It makes no sense.
    Chris said:

He's assured of a place in the fnal two now. Why does he need to keep saying this now, before he even knows who else will be on the members' ballot paper? It makes no sense.
    Oh, it does. The more he knows it is impossible to no deal without a GE being forced, the more he needs to cement in peoples minds that his intention was to leave by date x, never mind even with no deal more time might be needed to legislate.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 50,526

The proportions of the three groups are more skewed to the non-compromisers, and within that, to the Remainers.

https://www.politics.co.uk/comment-analysis/2019/06/14/a-country-of-purists-the-polling-which-lays-bare-the-death
This discussion has been closed.