Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » There’s no automaticity that the next Tory leader becomes Prim

Comments

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,903
    Plenty of Labour voters do tend to be sinfully lazy, certainly compared to Lib Dem and to a lesser extent Tory voters - the amount of "reminding" they need to actually get to the polling station always seems to be quite something. I remember @IOS talking about it.
  • Options
    Ave_itAve_it Posts: 2,411
    England looking a bit useless in the second half. Bit like world cup 2018

LAB have won Peterborough
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,943
    edited June 2019

kjohnw said:

Britain Elects

@britainelects
    2m2 minutes ago
    More
    Labour MPs campaigning in #Peterborough today have remarked that it's too close to call between themselves and the Brexit Party.

Well known tactic for parties campaigning on polling day to GOTV
    On the Daily Mail website Nigel Farage is pictured getting shit faced in a Peterborough pub. So either he expects to win hands down or he is not going to do very well. Bad form taking the voters for granted either way...
    If you are still knocking up voters after 9pm it tends to be counterproductive, people are putting the children to bed, watching TV etc and get annoyed so no harm in a pre count pint.

If the Brexit Party have won they have probably done so by now and the same if Labour has got its vote out after all
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,211
    Pulpstar said:

Labour often has an uncanny ability to dig voters out the ground in by-elections. Noone saw the absolute scale of their win coming in Oldham West & Royton a few years back.

But in Newport West the Labour vote % went down 13 points, and in Lewisham East (2018) it went down by 18 points
  • Options

HYUFD said:

'When Piers met the President' on ITV now

Ooh, I think I'd rather watch the Liverpool victory parade.... will have to miss it.
    Trump could not decide whether Boris or Farage was the British Trump but he also said he liked Jeremy (Hunt not Corbyn) though he said he would try and work with Corbyn if he became PM though he still thought it unlikely
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,097

Anyone see any design flaws with this?

https://twitter.com/cnni/status/1136634362194210816?s=21

Access is the obvious one: and they've thought of it:

""We faced some quite major technical challenges to this building, the biggest one being how to actually get into the pool," said Compass Pool's swimming pool designer and technical director Alex Kemsley in an interview on the company's website.
    "The solution is based on the door of a submarine, coupled with a rotating spiral staircase which rises from the pool floor when someone wants to get in or out -- the absolute cutting edge of swimming pool and building design and a little bit James Bond to boot!""

I can't really see such a mechanism working in the medium- or long-term though.

I can see other complexities (e.g. how to stop it overflowing, how to fill it up etc), but I assume infinity pools already have those sussed.
    Perhaps "the absolute cutting edge" wasn't the best-chosen phrase to describe this spiral staircase going up and down in the middle of a swimming pool.
  • Options
    edited June 2019

Pulpstar said:

Labour often has an uncanny ability to dig voters out the ground in by-elections. Noone saw the absolute scale of their win coming in Oldham West & Royton a few years back.

But in Newport West the Labour vote % went down 13 points, and in Lewisham East (2018) it went down by 18 points
    True ! Their by-election performances have been a bit shit recently, and that's before the recent Lib Dem and Brexit party surges.
    Noone notices these things when the by-election is an easy hold though.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,097
    kle4 said:

LAB is strong in Peterborough because it has good voter data after winning the seat at GE2017. Farage's party hasn't got that sort of election machine.

I'm hearing that LAB running close

'Running close' is an admission of defeat.
    I feel confident people could find examples of parties saying it was close, when they win comfortably. Not saying Labour have done that, but it seems like a stock phrase, which we cannot really infer much of use.
    Isn't it what everyone tells their supporters on polling day? If it weren't running close, they might not bother to vote!
  • Options
    Chris said:

kle4 said:

LAB is strong in Peterborough because it has good voter data after winning the seat at GE2017. Farage's party hasn't got that sort of election machine.

I'm hearing that LAB running close

'Running close' is an admission of defeat.
    I feel confident people could find examples of parties saying it was close, when they win comfortably. Not saying Labour have done that, but it seems like a stock phrase, which we cannot really infer much of use.
    Isn't it what everyone tells their supporters on polling day? If it weren't running close, they might not bother to vote!
    Particularly Labour voters :p
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,827
    HYUFD said:

If you are still knocking up voters after 9pm it tends to be counterproductive, people are putting the children to bed, watching TV etc and get annoyed so no hard in a pre count pint.

I was telling for the LDs outside the Church Hall in Zennor at the 1997 GE. I turned up at 8.30pm and by 9.30pm it was pitch dark. This was pre-mobile phone torches and I had a torch in the car but not with me.

I decided it wasn't worth it and as I left I passed a voter using a torch to reach the polling station.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,581

Pulpstar said:

Peterborough - home of the Nene Valley Railway. A line I've never been on.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,129

Brexit win, LibDems 2nd, Labour 3rd, Cons 4th

THIRD!

If so, that makes it another quasi Ref2. Big ramifications for the next GE if that holds.

BP vs LD.

Farage vs Jo.

Trump vs Hillary.

They say that what happens in America happens here in due course, don't they?
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Never been on it either! I did the Bristol Harbour Railway (or at least the bit they opened) at Easter, though.
  • Options
    stodge said:

HYUFD said:

If you are still knocking up voters after 9pm it tends to be counterproductive, people are putting the children to bed, watching TV etc and get annoyed so no hard in a pre count pint.

I was telling for the LDs outside the Church Hall in Zennor at the 1997 GE. I turned up at 8.30pm and by 9.30pm it was pitch dark. This was pre-mobile phone torches and I had a torch in the car but not with me.

I decided it wasn't worth it and as I left I passed a voter using a torch to reach the polling station.
    St Ives must be a great chance of a Lib Dem gain in the next GE.
  • Options
    Meltdown we will never win anything. LAB heading to downing street
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Never been on it either! I did the Bristol Harbour Railway (or at least the bit they opened) at Easter, though.
    I'm planning on some yellow pen action next weekend. Watch this space...
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059
    Familiar goal conceded there ..... bring on Lucas Moura!
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,922
    HYUFD said:

'When Piers met the President' on ITV now

Here on YouTube for those who missed it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1uKNAMU1Qw
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

Some guesses predictions:

1. TBP will win but with a smaller margin than expected.

2. MSM will spin this to say that this shows how TBP are actually the losers (somehow).

3. Corbyn will ignore the fact he has been trounced and will continue regardless.

4. Theresa May will step down as Tory leader tomorrow.

• Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352

Pulpstar said:

I don't think either of those had quite the kitchen sink treatment Oldham or Peterborough got/are getting.

Either way it'll be fascinating look at what their high-water mark is.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,922
    Ishmael_Z said:

kjohnw said:

kjohnw said:

Britain Elects

@britainelects
    2m2 minutes ago
    More
    Labour MPs campaigning in #Peterborough today have remarked that it's too close to call between themselves and the Brexit Party.

Well known tactic for parties campaigning on polling day to GOTV
    On the Daily Mail website Nigel Farage is pictured getting shit faced in a Peterborough pub. So either he expects to win hands down or he is not going to do very well. Bad form taking the voters for granted either way...
    I don’t think holding a pint in his hand can be described as getting shit faced
    I would be non-amazed to learn that he is a very moderate drinker. The pint is kinda like Wilson's pipe.
    https://www.ft.com/content/864c3a96-fbf1-11e5-b5f5-070dca6d0a0d
  • Options
    At Ives 1-50 LD GE 2022. CON might get 0 seats Cornwall
  • Options
    Sorry, what footy match is being played?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,026
    This is a good example of Corbyn cult thinking: "voters must compromise with us, not the other way round."

https://twitter.com/GeorgeAylett/status/1136614812715294720
  • Options
    England v liberal democrats
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,827
    Pulpstar said:

stodge said:

St Ives must be a great chance of a Lib Dem gain in the next GE.
    Yes, the LDs won it back then - the next morning, after hardly any sleep, I went down to Penzance to hear the result. St Ives counts on the morning after as the boxes are brought over from the Scillies by helicopter.

With all the gains elsewhere, I was sure the LDs would win and sure enough Andrew George scraped home by 7,000. Oddly enough, there was a huge cheer from all sides for David Harris, who had been the Conservative MP until deciding to retire. The constituency has only had four MPs since 1966 - John Nott, Harris, Andrew George and Derek Thomas.

• Options
    Fucking yes!!!
  • Options
    Oh oh
  • Options

On the Labour front, it is variously reported that their GOTV operation and local data are strong, and that a large proportion of their likely voters are staying at home or turning out for other parties. It rather depends on whom one listens to.

Both could be true. A fantastic ground operation, but not fantastic enough to overcome the anger and/or apathy of their target would be voters.

IE, they lose but not by as much as they would have done without the deep expertise and the sterling effort.

Is it good that they are busting a gut? Yes, I think it is. You should always try your best and not pretend otherwise. I hate all that "Oh it's all so effortless" shtick. Leave that to Old Etonians.
  • Options
    Bollocks absolute joke
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949
    edited June 2019
    Ave_it said:

At Ives 1-50 LD GE 2022. CON might get 0 seats Cornwall

If you're serious I'll offer you 1/25 on a LD gain at the next GE. I'll take up to £40 to win £1k if the LDs fail to gain it, though I imagine if you are willing to take the bet you might not want quite so much exposure.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

Sunil!!!!
  • Options

Nations League, OK, but it's a league?
  • Options
    oldpoliticsoldpolitics Posts: 455
    Which party benefits most if there is or isn't extra time? Are many people in Peterborough watching the match and thinking "just got time to vote on the way back from the pub"?
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,568

Which party benefits most if there is or isn't extra time? Are many people in Peterborough watching the match and thinking "just got time to vote on the way back from the pub"?

No - none.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095

I have absolutely no idea how Peterborough's going to go aside from gut instinct. The Brexit Party have momentum (but not Momentum), so I find it hard to see past them.

It'll be interesting to see how a single Brexit Party MP does.

He'll get huge media exposure. With Farage insisting he is in shot for as much as he physically can.....
  • Options
    Sorry about the swearing folks. Mark Reckless! 😀
  • Options

Nations League, OK, but it's a league?
    It would be better if it was called The League of Nations
  • Options
    Ave_it said:

Bollocks absolute joke

AVAR IT?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:
    Blimey, sounds like a very decent err "ground game" ! We don't know how effective they're being though.
  • Options
    No betting please on this site
  • Options
    edited June 2019

No - none.
    Might marginally help Labour would be my guess. Talking about 30 vote swing potential here max.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Blimey, sounds like a very decent err "ground game" ! We don't know how effective they're being though.

Hopefully they're telling everyone that if they want to stop Brexit, they should vote Lib Dem.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Hopefully they're telling everyone that if they want to stop Brexit, they should vote Lib Dem.
    The Brexit Party has been advertising that fact heavily in their Peterborough literature.
  • Options

Who needs a drain when the water can just fall off the building.

People below will just think it's rain.

It is London.

Rain, or whatever, those at ground level won't bat an eyelid - most of them have got used to it by now.
  • Options
    The unforgettable Neil on 63 up still a LD activist I see
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,942
    stodge said:

Evening all :)

With the excitement in Denmark behind us, some interesting polling from countries due south.

First, an Infomap poll in Germany puts the Greens on 26% just ahead of the CDU/CSU on 25% with AfD on 13% and the SPD at a woeful 12%. Their new leadership will need to start turning things round quickly. The last time the SPD was fourth in a national election was 1907 but a lot has happened in Germany since then. To compare, a Forschunggruppe poll has the Union on 27% with the Greens on 26% and the AfD and SPD level on 13% so not a lot of difference.

Further south still into Austria and the latest poll shows the fragmentation of the three party system into something more interesting. The People's Party has a big lead with 37% with the SPD on 21% and Freedom on 20% but both NEOS and the Greens are on 10% which, as I've argued before, makes a People's Party-NEOS coalition for Kurz if he wins well in September.

Obviously on these numbers he could choose to govern alone and it might be welcome for him to have options which don't include either the SPD or Freedom.

"A lot has happened in Germany since (1907)!
    Masterful understatement. :)
  • Options
    edited June 2019

This is a good example of Corbyn cult thinking: "voters must compromise with us, not the other way round."

https://twitter.com/GeorgeAylett/status/1136614812715294720

He's talking about FBPE not 'voters'.

And what he says is correct. You have made the exact same point yourself.
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949
    nunuone said:
    Excellent. We can find out who has won Peterborough a few weeks after the next election when their replacement has been voted in. Unusual experiment in the effect of incumbency - does it still work when no-one knows who the incumbent is?
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    edited June 2019
    Ee gads. It seems in a fit of madness some time ago I actually stuck money on Labour to win today. At shitty odds. What was I thinking?
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Interesting day at Trent Bridge. Any news from Peterborough?
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    Alistair said:

Ee gads. It seems in a fit of madness some time ago I actually stuck money on Labour to win today. At shitty odds. What was I thinking?

You were probably thinking Labour would win. It is interesting that Betfair has Labour longer and LibDems shorter than the high street firms.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,294
    John Stones was shit in the world cup semi final and he's shit in this semi as well.

#Consistent
  • Options
    Shyte deluxe
  • Options
    I bet we don't win cricket world cup either
  • Options
    Ave_it said:

I bet we don't win cricket world cup either

Jo Konta for SPOTY - all about the tennis
  • Options
    Three minutes past ten and still no David Dimbleby with an exit poll.
  • Options
    I love Jo Konta!

Andrew Adonis no it doesn't matter. LAB have won and Corbyn will be moving in soon
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:
    If the Brexit Party had 1000, Labour had 500 so it looks like the Brexit Party may have won the ground game after all

https://twitter.com/PeoplesMomentum/status/1136740823456976897?s=20
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

He is the most fascinating participant from 7Up, really quality television of the sort Granada used to specialise in.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,636
    HYUFD said:
    I don't quite see what is so significant about it if Labour do win. Yes it is not a safe seat, but it is one they already hold, against possibly the most shambolic government in living memory.
  • Options
    Darlington didn't matter. LAB got creamed three months later
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:
    If the Brexit Party had 1000, Labour had 500 so it looks like the Brexit Party may have won the ground game after all

I assume the Tories did not even ask for any activists beyond MPs, lest they be embarrassed when virtually no one showed and those that did did so for the Brexit Party?
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

Size doesn’t matter, it’s what you do with it that counts.
  • Options
    KentRisingKentRising Posts: 2,850
    Labour have won in Peterborough. Night folks.
  • Options

How do you know?
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,913
    HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

Not much point having feet on the ground if you don't know who your supporters are. Are the BXP likely to have data available to send 1000 people knocking up. I doubt it
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976
    edited June 2019
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

I assume the Tories did not even ask for any activists beyond MPs, lest they be embarrassed when virtually no one showed and those that did did so for the Brexit Party?
    I got emails asking for people to go campaign with Shaun Bailey on Tuesday.

Edit: prediction: exact 4-way tie. Failing which, at least three parties to get over 20% and none to get more than 35%.
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/FraserNelson/status/1136741233437675520?s=20

HYUFD said:

He is the most fascinating participant from 7Up, really quality television of the sort Granada used to specialise in.
    Yes, it is still the one ITV programme I will always try and watch, although sadly they are getting to the age now that 1 or 2 of the participants have passed away
  • Options
    Sell shares in stones.
  • Options
    brendan16brendan16 Posts: 2,315
    edited June 2019
    Tonight will be the last by election covered by the This Week team on BBC1 as the show ends next month after over 15 years.

Won’t be quite the same without Michael Portillo, Andrew Neil, that nice Lib Dem lady and whichever Labour person is available previewing the results!
  • Options
    There will be another semi final at Wembley next year. Let's hope we don't f~`` it up again
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187
    There's nothing quite like being mocked by foreign fans in your own language.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    brendan16 said:

Tonight will be the last by election covered by the This Week team on BBC1 as the show ends next month after over 15 years.

Won’t be quite the same without Portillo, Neil, that nice Lob Dem lady and whichever Labour person is available!

Sad times.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    OllyT said:

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

Not much point having feet on the ground if you don't know who your supporters are. Are the BXP likely to have data available to send 1000 people knocking up. I doubt it
    The Russians probably told them.
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    Barring a huge shock the BP win .

The second and third will be interesting . Bear in mind at the last election Labour had 48% v the Lib Dems had 3% !

Before the coalition in 2010 the Lib Dems scored close to 20% .

It’s clear a lot of that 20% deserted the Lib Dems for Labour , how many have returned .

I think Labour coming third would be a huge shock given this seat isn’t really condusive to a Lib Dem surge .

• Options
    AndyJS said:

How do you know?
    Labour has come in two points on Betfair since polls closed.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:
    So if you ignore the only policy of any significance for the party right now, they and the members are not lurching to the right. Ok
    Endillion said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

I got emails asking for people to go campaign with Shaun Bailey on Tuesday.

Edit: prediction: exact 4-way tie. Failing which, at least three parties to get over 20% and none to get more than 35%.
    I wasn't being entirely literal, though I assume the number is less than Lab and Brexit.

I would dearly love a 4 way marginal. Or even 5 way somehow, with the Greens surging too. The utter confusion would be amazing.
  • Options
    nico67 said:

Barring a huge shock the BP win .

The second and third will be interesting . Bear in mind at the last election Labour had 48% v the Lib Dems had 3% !

Before the coalition in 2010 the Lib Dems scored close to 20% .

It’s clear a lot of that 20% deserted the Lib Dems for Labour , how many have returned .

I think Labour coming third would be a huge shock given this seat isn’t really condusive to a Lib Dem surge .

Agreed.

A win for Labour, no matter it should be an easy hold if the Tories collapse as expected, would be a good result.
    A second place but being close to first would clearly not be great, but they can spin it.
    Third plan is in Euro election territory - awful, and only spared worse shame by the Tories doing even worse.
  • Options
    brendan16brendan16 Posts: 2,315
    HYUFD said:
    Why does it take them that long to count? Surely they could draft in the Sunderland or Newcastle super fast counters?
  • Options
    A win would be fantastic for Corbyn, he'll carry on with his hokey-kokey Brexit policy no end.
  • Options
    Labour still 4/1 with Betfair if you think they can win it.

https://www.betfair.com/exchange/plus/politics/market/1.158359368
  • Options
    I usually overestimate Labour's chances, so I hope they don't prove me doing the reverse for once after tipping BXP to win.
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    A private poll from Lynton Crosby... :neutral:

https://twitter.com/hendopolis/status/1136740729764667397
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Labour still 4/1 with Betfair if you think they can win it.

https://www.betfair.com/exchange/plus/politics/market/1.158359368

I'll win £70 if Labour win and lose £20 if it's Brexit party. Not going overboard here, unlike my bets against Leadsom...
  • Options
    Utter humiliation we are Scotland #ruth
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,294
  • Options
    ByronicByronic Posts: 3,578
    kinabalu said:

'Stewed Cheese" ... ???
    Gotta love the FT

"Yet as Farage jovially plunges into his pint of ale, there is a sense that he may be losing his touch."

Oh.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

It is fascinating television, highly entertaining, sublime editing, and I have followed the series throughout my lifetime.

But, it is no less exploitative of the participants than Love Island or Jeremy Kyle. I felt a bit queasy watching this week.
  • Options
    Lay (Bet Against) Backer's
    Brexit Party1.22£80.00£17.20

Back (Bet For) Odds Stake Profit
    Conservative 21.00£2.00 £40.00
    Liberal Democrat 48.00 £2.00 £94.00

Let's see...
This discussion has been closed.