Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » There’s no automaticity that the next Tory leader becomes Prim

Comments

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,903
    £200 more put up by the Leadsom backer at 9.8...
  • Options
    Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,779
    kinabalu said:

rcs1000 said:

Here's mine

BXP 42
    Lab 26
    Con 12
    LD 13
    Green 3

Wow. That would be something.

I'm going to try and make a name for myself by going to the other side of the stage.

Labour hold.
    Peterborough is a fairly grim place that I used to visit on occasion many years ago. I didn't think it was so grim it would vote 42% fascist though!
  • Options
    surbiton19surbiton19 Posts: 1,469

Artist said:

rcs1000 said:

Dadge said:

My prediction for today: BXP 38 Lab 30 Con 16 LD 8 Green 4

Here's mind:

BXP 42
    Lab 26
    Con 12
    LD 13
    Green 3
    I'll go for
    BXP 32
    Lab 28
    Con 19
    LD 12
    Green 5
    And mine:
    BXP 40
    Lab 25
    LD 20
    Con 10
    Rest 5
    It will be a narrow BXP win.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,163
    kinabalu said:

rcs1000 said:

Here's mine

BXP 42
    Lab 26
    Con 12
    LD 13
    Green 3

I'm going to try and make a name for myself by going to the other side of the stage.

Labour hold.
    I hope so. Not something I would normally want under Jezza. But I have only just stopped throwing up from seeing Trump on TV every day this week being fawned over. The thought of watching Farage's grinning face on breakfast TV tomorrow is just too much.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

kinabalu said:

rcs1000 said:

Here's mine

BXP 42
    Lab 26
    Con 12
    LD 13
    Green 3

Labour hold.
    Peterborough is a fairly grim place that I used to visit on occasion many years ago. I didn't think it was so grim it would vote 42% fascist though!
    You're just childish calling BXP fascist. Name one BXP policy that is fascist.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,292
    edited June 2019

What's this? A sliver of light in the Brexit gloom?

https://twitter.com/BBCkatyaadler/status/1136592388485459969

It feels like one of those reoccurring dreams I have: I suddenly realize I've got some vital exam to sit/course to attend/project to submit, yet I hadn't even thought about any of it for months.
  • Options

Reason #519 why basing your campaign on passing traffic in the centre of a city split in half by constituency boundaries is not an effective strategy;

https://www.twitter.com/peterboroughtel/status/1136646433673764864

The Peterborough local authority [ source of Euro Election votes ] is not quite the same as the Peterborough constituency as has been mentioned many times.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

rcs1000 said:

Here's mine

BXP 42
    Lab 26
    Con 12
    LD 13
    Green 3

Labour hold.
    I hope so. Not something I would normally want under Jezza. But I have only just stopped throwing up from seeing Trump on TV every day this week being fawned over. The thought of watching Farage's grinning face on breakfast TV tomorrow is just too much.
    Want to get rid of Farage's face? There's a simple way for the Commons to do so.

I wonder what message if any Tory MPs will weighing up who to vote for will take from today.
  • Options
    Russel OUT ! Another cliff-hanger coming up.
  • Options
    edited June 2019

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Nigelb said:

Scott_P said:
    Curiously Warren is connecting even with some of the loonier Fox News hosts:
    https://www.politico.com/story/2019/06/05/tucker-carlson-elizabeth-warren-donald-trump-1355871

I think she will eat into Saunders' support.

I also get the feeling that Biden's inevitability is a little brittle. He's rightly the strong favourite for the nomination, but I don't think he's impregnable, and if one or more of his opponents can score off him in the debates this month, it could get interesting.
    I've been laying him a bit recently, having got on him at much longer odds.
    Warren is definitely one to keep onside at current prices.
    I agree.
    She looks like Hilary v2 to me. Hilary supposedly had lots of detailed policies but struggled to communicate them.
    Hillary wasn't ever 13-1 for the nomination though.
    Exactly. A decent debate or two and that comes in I think.
    Sure, the main point is you don't have to be a perfect candidate to be backable at those odds. Having said that 13-1 may well be about right. I think Biden could... even at 9-4 be value still though I don't like to back at such a short price this far out :o
    I've backed him at around 8-1 for £40 in the POTUS market and left it at that.
    Buttigieg's price is far too short right now.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,140

It was a tough week. Toughest I can remember for quite some time. I went on the demo and that helped a bit but not much.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,660
    Scott_P said:
    What is interesting in these polls is how few people are willing to say don't know. In the same poll they ask a question about limits on people climbing Mount Everest. This is something less than 1% of the country should have an opinion on, the general public know virtually nothing about it apart from some people have recently died. 85% feel confident enough to choose an answer ahead of don't know - why?

With the actual question, technically the answer is it definitely is, we could offer £50bn instead of £39bn, leave everything else the same and it would undoubtedly be accepted. The responder has to read the question as renegotiate a better deal or a deal that can get through parliament rather than different deal for the question to make sense.

How often are people responding to completely different questions on these polls? For example some will respond based on do you want us to renegotiate a different deal, others might respond based on whether Boris can renegotiate a better deal given his red lines, and so on.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,581

kinabalu said:

rcs1000 said:

Here's mine

BXP 42
    Lab 26
    Con 12
    LD 13
    Green 3

Labour hold.
    But they only have one policy so that is a bit of a trick question.
  • Options
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Nigelb said:

Scott_P said:
    https://www.politico.com/story/2019/06/05/tucker-carlson-elizabeth-warren-donald-trump-1355871

I also get the feeling that Biden's inevitability is a little brittle. He's rightly the strong favourite for the nomination, but I don't think he's impregnable, and if one or more of his opponents can score off him in the debates this month, it could get interesting.
    I agree.
    She looks like Hilary v2 to me. Hilary supposedly had lots of detailed policies but struggled to communicate them.
    There's definitely a danger in having too much detailed policy out there as Bill Shorten found out.

In the same way May, would have got away with the Dementia tax if she had used some vague language about reviewing social care costs.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,544

What's this? A sliver of light in the Brexit gloom?

https://twitter.com/BBCkatyaadler/status/1136592344512376832

An update on Brexit progress? shouldn't take long!
  • Options
    Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,779

kinabalu said:

rcs1000 said:

Here's mine

BXP 42
    Lab 26
    Con 12
    LD 13
    Green 3

Labour hold.
    It is delicious irony that anyone who believes in Brexit can accuse anyone of childishness. Umberto Eco was a very clever man though also a foreigner so you will probably want to ignore him, but here is his definition, and most, if not all of it applies to the founder and Leader of the Farragist Brexit Party:

http://www.openculture.com/2016/11/umberto-eco-makes-a-list-of-the-14-common-features-of-fascism.html

Your desperate plea that The Brexit Party is not fascist further shows your naivety. As that other non-fascist apologist for Putin, Donald Trump might say SAD!
    On that note I must go, so I will have to debate with you another time.
  • Options

To be absolutely fair - and why not it's a nice evening - I would say 'fascist in the making'.

There's only one way to find out if they are the real deal, and therefore it would be better if the question remains unanswered.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

rcs1000 said:

Here's mine

BXP 42
    Lab 26
    Con 12
    LD 13
    Green 3

Labour hold.
    It's not so bad, I have been many times. A fairly bland overspill town of light industry and warehouses, with a decent shopping mall of chain shops and an old cathedral. Just a fairly dull English modern provincial town. Quite a young population.

My forecast:

Turnout 42%

BXP 32
    LD 21
    Lab 17
    Green 10
    Con 8
    Other 12
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,390
    Bercow rejects a prorogued Brexit on his watch...
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-48541352

• Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,314

kinabalu said:

rcs1000 said:

Here's mine

BXP 42
    Lab 26
    Con 12
    LD 13
    Green 3

Labour hold.
    It is delicious irony that anyone who believes in Brexit can accuse anyone of childishness. Umberto Eco was a very clever man though also a foreigner so you will probably want to ignore him, but here is his definition, and most, if not all of it applies to the founder and Leader of the Farragist Brexit Party:

http://www.openculture.com/2016/11/umberto-eco-makes-a-list-of-the-14-common-features-of-fascism.html

Your desperate plea that The Brexit Party is not fascist further shows your naivety. As that other non-fascist apologist for Putin, Donald Trump might say SAD!
    Quaint that you think of your posts as 'debate'.
  • Options
    The BP do have a policy.

THE PEOPLE AGAINST THE POLITICAL CLASS !!

That's a teeny bit fascist.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

Remainers have successfully prorogued Brexit for 3 years. Now they're complaining when the Leavers want to use it...

• Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Nigelb said:

Scott_P said:

I agree.
    Sure, the main point is you don't have to be a perfect candidate to be backable at those odds. Having said that 13-1 may well be about right. I think Biden could... even at 9-4 be value still though I don't like to back at such a short price this far out :o
    Wait for the first TV debates. That could expose Biden and might just be the platform for Warren
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,660

kinabalu said:

rcs1000 said:

Here's mine

BXP 42
    Lab 26
    Con 12
    LD 13
    Green 3

Labour hold.

Quaint that you think of your posts as 'debate'.
    Sadly Corbyn and May both also tick a fair few of Umberto Eco's checklist. Tradition, something must be done, disagreement is treason, fear of difference, appeal to social frustation, obsession with a plot, selective populism are at the heart of Corbynism and have been a feature of May's leadership.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Nigelb said:

Scott_P said:

I agree.
    Wait for the first TV debates. That could expose Biden and might just be the platform for Warren
    Though on the other hand, it might not.
  • Options
    sladeslade Posts: 1,929
    Apart from Peterborough there are two local by-elections today - a Con defence in Herefordshire and a double Con defence in South Staffordshire. Look for a Lib Dem gain in the first. In the second the Conservatives are usually elected unopposed but it looks as if there is a LD/Green alliance as well as Labour this time.
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502

Remainers have successfully prorogued Brexit for 3 years. Now they're complaining when the Leavers want to use it...

Without Remainers pushing for a meaningful vote May would have signed the deal already .

And seeing as Leavers seemed to hate the deal why are you complaining . In Leave world they only like Parliament when it does what they want .

So now we know all that moaning about parliamentary sovereignty was just more hypocritical garbage from the Leave side .
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,437
    Nigelb said:

I’m not sure he would have any power to stop it.

Not that I think it’s at all likely, mind.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,970
    Good evening, everyone.

Mr. Twelve, it'd certainly be in keeping with the turbulent times.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

I’m not sure he would have any power to stop it.

Not that I think it’s at all likely, mind.
    Indeed - but it shows he'll facilitate efforts to prevent prorogation.
  • Options
    Windies have blown it.
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    edited June 2019

Pulpstar said:

Brexit Party on almost double Labour's vote in the european elections there. Decent Plaid showing too.
    People voting to make themselves poorer frankly.
    No. People voting for the “rich”, for somebody else, to pay for their lives. That’s what politicians across Wales, across Britain, tell them will happen. Your views on professional liars, liars by commission and not omission, may differ to mine.
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    edited June 2019

Count yourself lucky. If I'd had a platoon of sturdy pikemen available I'd have carried out a Pride's Purge and driven the ERG wibblies from the House.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,664
    edited June 2019

Electing a clear No Dealer in October no matter what, is now is clearly a one way ticket to a) May staying as PM b) constitutional chaos.

So, obviously that is what the Tory membership will do.

The most consise summary of our situation.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

I've always thought this is what happens.

1. Parliament breaks for Summer receess sometime around 20th July.

2. New Con leader elected around 22nd July (after recess has started)

3. Con leader become PM around 22nd.

4. Parliament returns 5th September and at that sitting the PM will move to dissolve the House and have a general election (so no need for VONC)

5. General election 17th October

So Boris, or whoever, will really be pushing to be the shortest serving PM in history as they lose.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    kinabalu said:

The BP do have a policy.

It also propagates a cult of an irreplaceable leader.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,322
    If people get bored with taking free money from The Leadsom Padox, the 1.43 on offer for Boris to be in the final two looks tasty. Might Gove or Hunt beat him in the vote? Just possible. But MPs deciding not to offer him at all? Seems very very unlikely.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,793
    kle4 said:

GIN1138 said:

I've always thought this is what happens.

1. Parliament breaks for Summer receess sometime around 20th July.

2. New Con leader elected around 22nd July (after recess has started)

3. Con leader become PM around 22nd.

4. Parliament returns 5th September and at that sitting the PM will move to dissolve the House and have a general election (so no need for VONC)

5. General election 17th October

So Boris, or whoever, will really be pushing to be the shortest serving PM in history as they lose.
    Yes George Canning's record could really be at risk.
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,437
    Scott_P said:
    “Hell yes I’m tough enough”.

(Though I admit that with the benefit of hindsight perhaps EICIPM in 2015 wouldn’t have been that bad...)
  • Options

If people get bored with taking free money from The Leadsom Padox, the 1.43 on offer for Boris to be in the final two looks tasty. Might Gove or Hunt beat him in the vote? Just possible. But MPs deciding not to offer him at all? Seems very very unlikely.

If Boris gets put in the final two: Boris wins.

• Options
    FenmanFenman Posts: 1,047
    GIN1138 said:

How does that compare with a normal by-election?
    About average
  • Options

kinabalu said:

The BP do have a policy.

See Tories edging the same way as they try to convince people in the party that even if they hate Boris and think he is incompetent, they must vote for him because only he can save them.
  • Options
    If Labour do lose Peterborough it won’t be because they didn’t try and get their vote out .

Looks like a huge GOTV operation , activists being bussed in from all around the country.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,971
  • Options
    kjh said:

kinabalu said:

rcs1000 said:

Here's mine

BXP 42
    Lab 26
    Con 12
    LD 13
    Green 3

Labour hold.
    But they only have one policy so that is a bit of a trick question.
    And even that one is a bit vague!

That manifesto in full:

Leave. Then what?
  • Options

Count yourself lucky. If I'd had a platoon of sturdy pikemen available I'd have carried out a Pride's Purge and driven the ERG wibblies from the House.
    Strictly speaking I think Colonel Pride stood at the door and stopped the members going in, but dragging them out would be more dramatic.
  • Options
    I do find this prorogation talk deeply unsettling. Some things are not worth achieving if you have to take certain actions to do it, even if others have been incredibly frustrating.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

I do find this prorogation talk deeply unsettling. Some things are not worth achieving if you have to take certain actions to do it, even if others have been incredibly frustrating.

It’s a limited number of halfwits. Even then they show that they can’t think strategically - if they do it, so could another government.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Nigelb said:

Scott_P said:

I agree.
    Warren is a better punt as Dem candidate than as POTUS. I cannot see Biden or Sanders going the distance.
  • Options
    matt said:

kle4 said:

It’s a limited number of halfwits.
    Who include people of genuine authority, and who would be backed in such a stance by many many people.
  • Options
    oldpoliticsoldpolitics Posts: 455
    nico67 said:

If Labour do lose Peterborough it won’t be because they didn’t try and get their vote out .

Looks like a huge GOTV operation , activists being bussed in from all around the country.

Yep. Plenty of the 103 Labour MPs who signed the pledge to Jews to keep the Jewish Labour Movement from disaffiliating have broken that pledge by showing up in Peterborough. It has not gone un-noticed.
  • Options
    CiceroCicero Posts: 2,201
    kle4 said:

I tend to think it is extremely dangerous and could also place The Queen in an extremely difficult position. The backlash would be immense and given the fragility of the Commons majority it might lead straight to an unexpected election.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

rcs1000 said:

Here's mine

BXP 42
    Lab 26
    Con 12
    LD 13
    Green 3

Labour hold.

I have no qualms with foreigners, its only your childish simplicity that would make you assume anyone does.

Of those 14 common features I can only identify 3/14 that I agree you could associate with the BXP. Though you could probably identify almost all parties with those three.
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    kle4 said:

matt said:

kle4 said:

It’s a limited number of halfwits.
    Who include people of genuine authority, and who would be backed in such a stance by many many people.
    If you mean Raab, he hasn’t and shouldn’t be elected. The Labour Party has elected Corbyn and his merry band of Marxists, Stalinists, and totalitarian oppression enthusasists. They may be no more or less malign but they are already in place. Their willing apologists post here regularly.
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979
    edited June 2019
    nico67 said:

I have to say I am always impressed by the Labour party machine on the ground. I once lived in a Labour held marginal and I saw activists with red rosettes in one street knocking up the residents. They were systematically going from door to door and there were about a dozen or so activists doing this. It was the 2001 general election in Harrow West on the old boundaries, Danny Finklestien had been hotly tipped to win the seat and instead the Tories went backward. I voted for 'the Fink' and still think he would have been a good MP...
  • Options

nico67 said:

Yep. Plenty of the 103 Labour MPs who signed the pledge to Jews to keep the Jewish Labour Movement from disaffiliating have broken that pledge by showing up in Peterborough. It has not gone un-noticed.
    If they win the election they won't care in the slightest. Priorities, priorities.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,069
    Steve McFadden is capturing my feelings in this incredible work of art. A brilliant article too. What a shitshow it all is. How will we explain any of this to our grandchildren?
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    nico67 said:

Heavy turnout in Park apparently, so I don’t see how Labour lose this.
  • Options

No guarantee of that whatsoever. If it is say Boris v Raab then Raab would be the more extreme Brexiteer of the two.
  • Options
    edited June 2019

Steve McFadden is capturing my feelings in this incredible work of art. A brilliant article too. What a shitshow it all is. How will we explain any of this to our grandchildren?
    Quite simply. Many people wanted to leave the EU, and many people did not, and it caused a political crisis. Why did some want to leave you ask my dear grandchild? For some it was X, for others Y, and unfortunately there was a lot of Z, or so others felt at least. But after a great deal of disruption, which caused political chaos, we stayed in the end as you know, and life went on.
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,290
    Nigelb said:

Windies have blown it.

They got the rough end of some very poor umpiring but should have won anyway.
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059

No guarantee of that whatsoever. If it is say Boris v Raab then Raab would be the more extreme Brexiteer of the two.
    And Ken Clarke would find himself getting some unexpected votes!
  • Options

Sure, but between the pair of them, and likely transfers, one of Gove and Hunt seem like they can stop Raab, even if they cannot both stop Boris.

It's Boris's to lose, and at some point it seems likely the odds will over estimate his chances, but not sure we are there yet.
  • Options

Is there an exit poll in Peterborough tonight?

• Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352

Is there an exit poll in Peterborough tonight?

No.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Windies have blown it.

At the end of the 48th over, WI needed 33 of 2 overs. Steep. They proceeded to score just 1 run of the 49th and then hit 16 of the last 4 balls when they could not have won ! Bizarre ! But I could have used some other expression.
  • Options
    TudorRoseTudorRose Posts: 1,662
    nico67 said:

But for whom are they voting? Unless they've got really up-to-date canvass returns then they could simply be getting the vote out for the Lib-Dems and TBP.
  • Options

nico67 said:

I have to say I am always impressed by the Labour party machine on the ground. I once lived in a Labour held marginal and I saw activists with red rosettes in one street knocking up the residents. They were systematically going from door to door and there were about a dozen or so activists doing this. It was the 2001 general election in Harrow West on the old boundaries, Danny Finklestien had been hotly tipped to win the seat and instead the Tories went backward. I voted for 'the Fink' and still think he would have been a good MP...
    Whether it will be enough we’ll see later tonight . If Labour minimize the loss to the Lib Dems and Greens and BP they could still poll into the 30s . They had 48% in 2017 , much depends on what happens with the Tories vote.

The current betting is based on the Euro elections but that’s not really the best guide . The constituency boundaries are different .

I think the BP are of course favourites but without any specific polling there’s still some doubt.
  • Options

A strongman with an ostentatious love of nation - backed by money from rich and shadowy men.

Ok I don't want to hyperbolize. Farage is not Mussolini. But he's certainly not Atticus Finch.
  • Options
    TudorRose said:

nico67 said:

But for whom are they voting? Unless they've got really up-to-date canvass returns then they could simply be getting the vote out for the Lib-Dems and TBP.
    They’ve got the data from the 2017 GE. The BP do not have access to that type of data .

The current climate suggests a BP win but the Euros did not have the current Labour GOTV operation which is huge .
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,069
    kle4 said:

Quite simply. Many people wanted to leave the EU, and many people did not, and it caused a political crisis. Why did some want to leave you ask my dear grandchild? For some it was X, for others Y, and unfortunately there was a lot of Z, or so others felt at least. But after a great deal of disruption, which caused political chaos, we stayed in the end as you know, and life went on.
    I like your story. I was thinking it might end with "and that is why we are eating out of bins" but I think your ending is better.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    kinabalu said:

A strongman with an ostentatious love of nation - backed by money from rich and shadowy men.

Ok I don't want to hyperbolize. Farage is not Mussolini. But he's certainly not Atticus Finch.
    So far as the Brexit party is concerned he is literally irreplaceable.
  • Options
    nico67 said:

TudorRose said:

nico67 said:

They’ve got the data from the 2017 GE. The BP do not have access to that type of data .

The current climate suggests a BP win but the Euros did not have the current Labour GOTV operation which is huge .
    But only if they are actually voting for Labour; that's my point really. If 2017 Labour voters are now Lib-Dems or Brexit Party supporters Labour could simply be racking up votes for their opponents, however efficient they may be.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Windies have blown it.

At the end of the 48th over, WI needed 33 of 2 overs. Steep. They proceeded to score just 1 run of the 49th and then hit 16 of the last 4 balls when they could not have won ! Bizarre ! But I could have used some other expression.
    To be fair I think they realised they couldn't win so then decided to play to narrow the Net Run Rate deficit which could count for who qualifies rather than swing the bat at everything.

Those 16 runs could be very useful ultimately. Remarkably the Windies are 3rd after this result in the table and have a superior Net Run Rate to Australia despite losing to them today.
  • Options
    kjohnwkjohnw Posts: 1,456
    Any rumours coming out of Peterborough?
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679

nico67 said:

I am impressed too. I grew up on a council estate and it was astonishing how the Labour Party would suddenly be everywhere during elections. I always think they are a bit like the Roman legions. The grit of the foot soldiers being enough to support the whims of the emperors. (Literally in the case of the empire, figaratively in the case of the party.)
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,827

nico67 said:

What pledge have they broke?
  • Options
    kjohnwkjohnw Posts: 1,456
    148grss said:

The Guardian:

"No 10 retracts suggestion May could delay resignation until she is sure successor has confidence of Commons
    Downing Street has been in touch to say that the comments from the prime minister’s spokesman at lobby this morning (see 12.46pm) have been over-interpreted. A source said that there was “no question of the prime minister hanging around beyond the Conservative leadership contest”. The source said that when the spokesman talked about May needing to be able to tell the Queen that her successor could command the confidence of the Commons, he was just setting out the language used as a formality, not flagging up May’s intention to make this an issue.

That does not mean that this might not become an issue. But when I asked the Number 10 source what might happen if Boris Johnson’s election as leader coincided with a group of 10 or so Tories announcing they would vote with Labour to bring down the government to stop a no-deal Brexit, the source would not speculate on what might happen. But he said May did not intend to hang around, and the briefing this morning was not meant to suggest otherwise."

Doublespeak coming from Number 10
  • Options
    nico67 said:

nico67 said:

Whether it will be enough we’ll see later tonight . If Labour minimize the loss to the Lib Dems and Greens and BP they could still poll into the 30s . They had 48% in 2017 , much depends on what happens with the Tories vote.

The current betting is based on the Euro elections but that’s not really the best guide . The constituency boundaries are different .

I think the BP are of course favourites but without any specific polling there’s still some doubt.
    I think one has to be careful about not reading too much prediction wise for the recent European election in comparison to this by-election. The Euro's were seen as a free hit whereas depending on what Labour campaigned on locally this could be more focused on bread and butter issues or national priorities. I could be wrong but a higher turnout could markedly work in Labours favour. If Labour do retain it get ready for all the BS about it being a vindication of our Marxist friend Corbyn!
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Pulpstar said:

£200 more put up by the Leadsom backer at 9.8...

This is insane. She does not have a 10% chance of winning this.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,827

nico67 said:

nico67 said:

I think one has to be careful about not reading too much prediction wise for the recent European election in comparison to this by-election. The Euro's were seen as a free hit whereas depending on what Labour campaigned on locally this could be more focused on bread and butter issues or national priorities. I could be wrong but a higher turnout could markedly work in Labours favour. If Labour do retain it get ready for all the BS about it being a vindication of our Marxist friend Corbyn!
    The Candidate is a Corbynite.
  • Options

nico67 said:

I am impressed too. I grew up on a council estate and it was astonishing how the Labour Party would suddenly be everywhere during elections. I always think they are a bit like the Roman legions. The grit of the foot soldiers being enough to support the whims of the emperors. (Literally in the case of the empire, figaratively in the case of the party.)
    Mind you I formally a member of a trade union and I remember that the TUC could organise my postal vote in one GE! I was surprised as I was not voting Labour in those elections!
  • Options
    kjohnw said:

148grss said:

The Guardian:

"No 10 retracts suggestion May could delay resignation until she is sure successor has confidence of Commons
    Downing Street has been in touch to say that the comments from the prime minister’s spokesman at lobby this morning (see 12.46pm) have been over-interpreted. A source said that there was “no question of the prime minister hanging around beyond the Conservative leadership contest”. The source said that when the spokesman talked about May needing to be able to tell the Queen that her successor could command the confidence of the Commons, he was just setting out the language used as a formality, not flagging up May’s intention to make this an issue.

That does not mean that this might not become an issue. But when I asked the Number 10 source what might happen if Boris Johnson’s election as leader coincided with a group of 10 or so Tories announcing they would vote with Labour to bring down the government to stop a no-deal Brexit, the source would not speculate on what might happen. But he said May did not intend to hang around, and the briefing this morning was not meant to suggest otherwise."

Doublespeak coming from Number 10
    I find the whole scenario extremely implausible (the change in PM would happen before any VONC and May couldn't formally assume how MPs might vote in advance of such a vote) but for anyone who does perhaps it's time to get (back, for some) on Lidington as next PM.
  • Options

nico67 said:

nico67 said:

I was not aware of this. Still even if she does win I don't think I would describe it as a vindication of Corbyn. Labour should be romping home with a 10K+ majority given the national backdrop...
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    nico67 said:

Bear that in mind that if they do lose, they threw the kitchen sink at it. That would be very, very worrying for a lot of Labour MPs.....
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    O/T but about betting. I am here for the political comment and gossip, and am not normally a gambler. However last night I dreamt a very specific future sport result (Croatia to beat Brazil 7 - 2 to win the 2020 World Cup(!), if anyone's interested) and I am tempted to make a small flutter. I am resident in the US which doesn't like sport betting online (except for from NJ currently, and I have standards). I do have UK-issued debit/credit cards but these are associated with my US address.

Can any other PB expats recommend a UK or other online betting site that will take a UK card that has a non-UK billing address? I have a VPN that can give me a UK IP address.
  • Options
    The key vote in Peterborough is what happens to the Lib Dems .

Before 2015 they grew their vote moving from 10% to nearly 20% in 2010.

It’s clear that much of that vote moved to Labour in 2017 . Now some of that won’t move back because some Labour voters haven’t forgotten the coalition .

Last minute appeals on the doorstep to that group and stopping the Brexit Party might reduce some of the Labour losses.

We just don’t know how much traction the stop BP will have. I think Labour need to keep their losses to max 15% to have a chance . So 34% and hope the Tories do a bit better than expected.

If Labour do win it will be close .

• Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,387
    When should we expect the result?
  • Options

nico67 said:

nico67 said:

That much is obvious from her Twitter history.
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869
    kle4 said:

I rather think the story-line will be more obvious than that. We needed to wait until the Scots voted for their own independence. Once we'd understood how to separate from a centuries-old liaison, we had a clearer idea of how to separate from a half-century liaison.

Good evening, everybody.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

They *forecast* (or the graun forecasted for them) 2 a.m. in 2017.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/jun/08/what-time-does-each-constituency-declare-its-results-in-the-2017-general-election

Can't find actual timing.
  • Options
    handandmousehandandmouse Posts: 213
    Long time, much lurk, no post.

But, I just laid Leadsom for a grand on Next Conservative Leader. The price just seems crazy given her lack of backing and her disaster in 2016.

Just thought I'd let you all know that.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,322
    nico67 said:

Yes, it's been a while since we read people saying that all those new Labour members just sat around hammering keyboards. The membership remains as feisty as ever. I don't think it's going to be quite enough, but I wish I could have been there today.
  • Options
    edited June 2019

So far as the Brexit party is concerned he is literally irreplaceable.

He is. Congratulations on a rare and accurate use of 'literally'.

If Beyonce wrote the song about Nigel I am afraid she got it badly wrong.

He would be able to reply and rightly - "Oh but I am my dear. I am."
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    Ishmael_Z said:

They *forecast* (or the graun forecasted for them) 2 a.m. in 2017.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/jun/08/what-time-does-each-constituency-declare-its-results-in-the-2017-general-election

Can't find actual timing.
    Would the timing for a by-election match the timing for a GE?

Were there local elections there in 2017?
  • Options
    oldpoliticsoldpolitics Posts: 455

nico67 said:

Yes, it's been a while since we read people saying that all those new Labour members just sat around hammering keyboards. The membership remains as feisty as ever. I don't think it's going to be quite enough, but I wish I could have been there today.
    Ironically (check with Jeremy that I'm using the word correctly) Momentum groups appear to have picked up the "come to Peterborough with us, organise a lift, etc etc" game almost simultaneously with the revelations of the Labour candidate's woeful track record on anti-Jewish racism.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,703
    rpjs said:

O/T but about betting. I am here for the political comment and gossip, and am not normally a gambler. However last night I dreamt a very specific future sport result (Croatia to beat Brazil 7 - 2 to win the 2020 World Cup(!), if anyone's interested) and I am tempted to make a small flutter. I am resident in the US which doesn't like sport betting online (except for from NJ currently, and I have standards). I do have UK-issued debit/credit cards but these are associated with my US address.

Can any other PB expats recommend a UK or other online betting site that will take a UK card that has a non-UK billing address? I have a VPN that can give me a UK IP address.

A UKIP address????
  • Options
    Leadsom might come through the middle. Need to bear that in mind when laying her.

But yes she does look skinny at 10s.
This discussion has been closed.