Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Nigel Farage reportedly looking to do Corbyn’s dirty work and

Comments

• Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    > @Sunil_Prasannan said:
    > > @dodrade said:
    >
    > > I find the site much harder to read with the arrows rather than insets.
    >
    >
    >
    > Join the club.
    >
    > You can avoid them by using the Vanilla site:
    > http://politicalbetting.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/7573/politicalbetting-com-blog-archive-nigel-farage-reportedly-looking-to-do-corbyn-s-dirty-work-and

+1
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,242
    AndyJS said:

You can avoid them by using the Vanilla site

Incorrect. You can avoid them if EVERYBODY uses the Vanilla site.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,311
    ydoethur said:

AndyJS said:

You can avoid them by using the Vanilla site

Incorrect. You can avoid them if EVERYBODY uses the Vanilla site.
    Andy didn't say that!
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,718
    Sean_F said:

> Of the whole population. Tied 48% to 48% when you include probables. The non aligned including probables were the ones I gave.

MORI polls and Life & Times gave rather bigger pro-UK leads, probably because they don't tie the Border question to questions on the EU.

Polling is quite fluid on the question. The Mori / Irish Times poll had a much higher number of don't knows.

Nevertheless Brexit does appear to have a big effect on support for a United Ireland. The other big change is the Catholics swinging very heavily behind a UI since the Brexit referendum. Previously a large percentage were happy to be in the UK.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,782
    dodrade said:

I find the site much harder to read with the arrows rather than insets.

God, me also.
  • Options

AndyJS said:

> @dodrade said:

> I find the site much harder to read with the arrows rather than insets.

Join the club.

You can avoid them by using the Vanilla site:
    http://politicalbetting.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/7573/politicalbetting-com-blog-archive-nigel-farage-reportedly-looking-to-do-corbyn-s-dirty-work-and
    I am on the Vanilla site and it still uses arrows for those who posted outside Vanilla.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,641
    > @stodge said:
    > Evening all :)
    >
    > The significant event in the near future isn't or won't be the EU Parliamentary elections but the Peterborough by-election on June 6th (75 years on, there's a nice bit of resonance there for someone).
    >
    > Assuming they win the EU elections, BP will have all the momentum going into the by-election and to be honest they have to win. Failing in such a contest will embolden the other parties and put off potential defectors. It will look like a Farage ego trip but what if BP win? Most by-elections have a limited significance but a few resonate beyond the immediate and a BP win in Peterborough would send a strong signal.
    >
    > Would we start to see defections from the Conservative and Labour parties to BP? Hard to know but it would be a powerful recruitment tool going into the summer.
    >
    > The autumn brings us Party Conference season and the Conservatives would gather in Manchester in the shadow of the next set of Brexit negotiations heading to the 31/10 deadline. Can anyone guess what the mood might be like if May is hanging in there proposing another 6-12 month extension?

Now the placard on the header makes sense. If the Brexit Party run George Galloway in Peterborough, then Nigel is the Anti-Christ and George is the Whore of Babylon. It's all so obvious now. :smiley:
  • Options
    I'm working (God, when aren't I?) and as is my wonty wont I am listening to lectures on YouTube. Tonight's is "Westmoreland: The General Who Lost Vietnam", part of the U.S. Army Heritage and Education Center's "Perspectives in Military History" Lecture Series. It concerns General Westmoreland, a talented officer overpromoted into a situation he couldn't handle and who fell back on rote responses and rigged statistics, resulting in an utter tragedy. A lesson for our times, I think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6LR-UJsYRc
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    Foxy said:

Now the placard on the header makes sense. If the Brexit Party run George Galloway in Peterborough, then Nigel is the Anti-Christ and George is the Whore of Babylon. It's all so obvious now. :smiley:

If George Galloway is the Whore of Babylon, Babylon has bigger problems than I thought... :(
  • Options
    viewcode said:

AndyJS said:

> @dodrade said:

Join the club.

You can avoid them by using the Vanilla site:
    http://politicalbetting.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/7573/politicalbetting-com-blog-archive-nigel-farage-reportedly-looking-to-do-corbyn-s-dirty-work-and
    I am on the Vanilla site and it still uses arrows for those who posted outside Vanilla.
    I did mean "you" as in the sender of "your" own message :)
  • Options
    ralphmalphralphmalph Posts: 2,201
    edited May 2019
    > @dodrade said:

It is because Vanilla support the Brexit Party. That Farage chap, his influence is everywhere.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,616
    Video of Moscow plane fire is horrific.

Landing already engulfed in flames.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    Could be worse, people could start putting their own arrows on at the start of messages to make it really ugly to look at...
  • Options
    >>

Could be worse, people could start >>putting their own arrows on at the start of messages to make it really ugly to >>look at...

Like this
  • Options
    edited May 2019

Video of Moscow plane fire is horrific. Landing already engulfed in flames.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aeroflot_Flight_1492
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,718
    FF43 said:

Sean_F said:

> Of the whole population. Tied 48% to 48% when you include probables. The non aligned including probables were the ones I gave.

MORI polls and Life & Times gave rather bigger pro-UK leads, probably because they don't tie the Border question to questions on the EU.

Polling is quite fluid on the question. The Mori / Irish Times poll had a much higher number of don't knows.

Nevertheless Brexit does appear to have a big effect on support for a United Ireland. The other big change is the Catholics swinging very heavily behind a UI since the Brexit referendum. Previously a large percentage were happy to be in the UK.
    Thought experiment. You could argue Alliance are better defenders of the Union than the DUP. By not having a defined position on the Constitution, Alliance de facto supports the status quo as long as the GFA is maintained and there is no Brexit.

By going all in for Brexit, the DUP push people towards a United Ireland, in this way killing the Union they profess to love.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,945
    edited May 2019
    > @HYUFD said:
    > Put in the latest Yougov Euro elections poll ratings of Brexit Party 30%, Labour 21%, Tories 13% and LDs 10% into Electoral Calculus and you get Brexit Party 394 seats, Labour 153, LDs 22 and Tories 1.
    >
    > The LDs did not come first in 2010 so obviously they would not have got most seats. The 23% the LDs got in 2010 is also 7% below the 30% the Brexit Party are now polling for the European elections.
    >
    > In France En Marche went from 0 seats to a majority of seats in just one election. If Westminster betrays the Brexit vote and we are still in the EU by the next general election the Brexit Party will benefit from an SNP 2015 style surge from Leave voters while the Remainer vote is divided between the main parties
    >
    > https://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/cgi-bin/usercode.py?CON=13&LAB=21&LIB=10&UKIP=4&Green=9&ChUK=9&Brexit=30&TVCON=&TVLAB=&TVLIB=&TVUKIP=&TVGreen=&TVChUK=&TVBrexit=&SCOTCON=&SCOTLAB=&SCOTLIB=&SCOTUKIP=&SCOTGreen=&SCOTChUK=&SCOTBrexit=&SCOTNAT=&display=AllChanged&regorseat=(none)&boundary=2017base

-----------

But it is just not going to happen. The Brexit Party may well get lots of votes - even above the 30% being quoted at the moment - in the Euro Elections but momentum or not they are not going to get anywhere near that - not even half of that I would suggest - at a GE.

The public are far more sophisticated than you seem to give them credit for and far more able to differentiate between elections in terms of who they want to vote for. A single issue party with, at best, dubious positions on many other aspects of politics that matter to people are not gong to end up winning most seats in Parliament. I would be absolutely staggered if they even got into double figures.

Outside of the Euros Farage has always flattered to deceive and always will.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,945
    > @IanB2 said:
    > > @Richard_Tyndall said:
    > > > @Big_G_NorthWales said:
    > > > > @Richard_Tyndall said:
    > > > > > @Big_G_NorthWales said:
    > > > > > > @Richard_Tyndall said:
    > > > > > > > @Big_G_NorthWales said:
    > > > > > > > Has anyone considered that once the EU elections have taken place and UK MEP's are in Brussels the impetus to leave will dissipate and as we near 31st October another extension will be granted as it becomes even less likely we will ever leave.
    > > > > > > >
    > > > > > > > And that is even if the conservatives have a brexiteer PM
    > > > > > >
    > > > > > > Nope. Desperate wishful thinking there.
    > > > > >
    > > > > > Well maybe you should
    > > > >
    > > > > Nope. I actually put some store by democracy - unlike you apparently.
    > > >
    > > > I have supported TM deal all along. The fact brexiteers have shot themselves in the foot is not my problem. You do not like the obvious but the country is turning against the brexiteers despite Farage's last stand
    > >
    > > It doesn't matter what you did in the past. If you are now advocating abrogating the decision of the referendum then you have placed yourself on the side of the anti-democrats.
    >
    > You know this is nonsense. There is nothing democratic about forcing people to eat something they don’t want any more.

It is not nonsense at all. Democracy depends on fulfilling the mandate given by the vote. If you hold votes and then ignore the outcome because it is 'too hard' or rather because you don't agree with it then that is not democracy.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Dominic Raab’s campaign for the leadership role is fully up and running. You can’t fault his ambition though his judgement looks questionable.
  • Options

Dominic Raab’s campaign for the leadership role is fully up and running. You can’t fault his ambition though his judgement looks questionable.

Dominic Gyor, surely :)

• Options
    FF43 said:

FF43 said:

Sean_F said:

Thought experiment. You could argue Alliance are better defenders of the Union than the DUP. By not having a defined position on the Constitution, Alliance de facto supports the status quo as long as the GFA is maintained and there is no Brexit.

By going all in for Brexit, the DUP push people towards a United Ireland, in this way killing the Union they profess to love.
    DUP = SF sleeper agents?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,007
    > @FF43 said:
    > > Of the whole population. Tied 48% to 48% when you include probables. The non aligned including probables were the ones I gave.
    >
    >
    >
    > MORI polls and Life & Times gave rather bigger pro-UK leads, probably because they don't tie the Border question to questions on the EU.
    >
    > Polling is quite fluid on the question. The Mori / Irish Times poll had a much higher number of don't knows.
    >
    > Nevertheless Brexit does appear to have a big effect on support for a United Ireland. The other big change is the Catholics swinging very heavily behind a UI since the Brexit referendum. Previously a large percentage were happy to be in the UK.
    >
    >
    > Thought experiment. You could argue Alliance are better defenders of the Union than the DUP. By not having a defined position on the Constitution, Alliance de facto supports the status quo as long as the GFA is maintained and there is no Brexit.
    >
    > By going all in for Brexit, the DUP push people towards a United Ireland, in this way killing the Union they profess to love.

As I have already pointed out to you it is not Brexit by itself that gives majority support for a United Ireland in Northern Ireland, only Brexit with No Deal. Had the DUP backed May's Deal that would not have threatened the Union as much as their current position of backing No Deal
  • Options
    thecommissionerthecommissioner Posts: 165
    edited May 2019
    Annunziata is rumoured to be the BP candidate for Peterborough, though Barry Fry would make a good alternative.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,444
    edited May 2019
    Theresa May is awesome, never doubted her, she might give us another EU referendum conducted under AV.

Theresa May has held secret discussions over a three-way second referendum ahead of a crunch meeting with Labour this week to agree a cross-party Brexit deal.

The Prime Minister has carried out “scenario planning” with aides and ministers in case the Government cannot prevent a Parliamentary vote on a second referendum.

John McDonnell, the shadow Chancellor, said it “may well” be the case that any deal would have to be put to a second referendum, adding: “I think the Conservatives have to recognise that if a deal is going to go through there might be a large number of MPs who will want a public vote."

Mrs May and her advisers are understood to have 'war gamed' the possibility of giving voters a choice of her deal, no deal and remain, though Government sources insisted it would only become relevant if talks with Labour collapse and Parliament forces a vote on a second referendum.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2019/05/05/theresa-may-war-games-second-referendum-questions-case-talks/
  • Options
    viewcode said:

I'm working (God, when aren't I?) and as is my wonty wont I am listening to lectures on YouTube. Tonight's is "Westmoreland: The General Who Lost Vietnam", part of the U.S. Army Heritage and Education Center's "Perspectives in Military History" Lecture Series. It concerns General Westmoreland, a talented officer overpromoted into a situation he couldn't handle and who fell back on rote responses and rigged statistics, resulting in an utter tragedy. A lesson for our times, I think.

That could be an epitaph for virtually the entire US Army from Washington onwards.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,082
    > @AlastairMeeks said:
    > Dominic Raab’s campaign for the leadership role is fully up and running. You can’t fault his ambition though his judgement looks questionable.

But not as questionable as the judgement of his cheerleaders.
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    > @Richard_Tyndall said:
    > > @HYUFD said:
    > > Put in the latest Yougov Euro elections poll ratings of Brexit Party 30%, Labour 21%, Tories 13% and LDs 10% into Electoral Calculus and you get Brexit Party 394 seats, Labour 153, LDs 22 and Tories 1.
    > >
    > > The LDs did not come first in 2010 so obviously they would not have got most seats. The 23% the LDs got in 2010 is also 7% below the 30% the Brexit Party are now polling for the European elections.
    > >
    > > In France En Marche went from 0 seats to a majority of seats in just one election. If Westminster betrays the Brexit vote and we are still in the EU by the next general election the Brexit Party will benefit from an SNP 2015 style surge from Leave voters while the Remainer vote is divided between the main parties
    > >
    > > https://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/cgi-bin/usercode.py?CON=13&LAB=21&LIB=10&UKIP=4&Green=9&ChUK=9&Brexit=30&TVCON=&TVLAB=&TVLIB=&TVUKIP=&TVGreen=&TVChUK=&TVBrexit=&SCOTCON=&SCOTLAB=&SCOTLIB=&SCOTUKIP=&SCOTGreen=&SCOTChUK=&SCOTBrexit=&SCOTNAT=&display=AllChanged&regorseat=(none)&boundary=2017base
    >
    > -----------
    >
    > But it is just not going to happen. The Brexit Party may well get lots of votes - even above the 30% being quoted at the moment - in the Euro Elections but momentum or not they are not going to get anywhere near that - not even half of that I would suggest - at a GE.
    >
    > The public are far more sophisticated than you seem to give them credit for and far more able to differentiate between elections in terms of who they want to vote for. A single issue party with, at best, dubious positions on many other aspects of politics that matter to people are not gong to end up winning most seats in Parliament. I would be absolutely staggered if they even got into double figures.
    >
    > Outside of the Euros Farage has always flattered to deceive and always will.

It may well happen. I have been canvassing on and off for over 20 years and I have never seen people as angry as I found Leave voters when canvassing for the recent local elections due to the fact we are still in the EU.

If we are still in the EU by the next general election those Leave voters will surge to the Brexit Party much as Nationalists surged to the SNP in 2015 after indyref 2014
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    @dixiedean

I did say one player could run away with this...7-1 is an extraordinary domination if as seems likely Trump wins this final frame.

But Higgins might do a reverse ferret tomorrow.

Edit - ooops. Forgot it was nine frames!
  • Options

Theresa May is awesome, never doubted her, she might give us another EU referendum conducted under AV.

Theresa May has held secret discussions over a three-way second referendum ahead of a crunch meeting with Labour this week to agree a cross-party Brexit deal.

The Prime Minister has carried out “scenario planning” with aides and ministers in case the Government cannot prevent a Parliamentary vote on a second referendum.

John McDonnell, the shadow Chancellor, said it “may well” be the case that any deal would have to be put to a second referendum, adding: “I think the Conservatives have to recognise that if a deal is going to go through there might be a large number of MPs who will want a public vote."

Mrs May and her advisers are understood to have 'war gamed' the possibility of giving voters a choice of her deal, no deal and remain, though Government sources insisted it would only become relevant if talks with Labour collapse and Parliament forces a vote on a second referendum.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2019/05/05/theresa-may-war-games-second-referendum-questions-case-talks/

"Bring 'em on! I'd prefer a straight fight to all this sneaking around!" - Han Solo, 1977.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    edited May 2019
    It is complete bollocks to take a European Parliament voting intentions poll and apply it to a general election. Go look at what happened in 2015. This is so tedious
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850
    > @Richard_Tyndall said:
    > > @HYUFD said:
    > > Put in the latest Yougov Euro elections poll ratings of Brexit Party 30%, Labour 21%, Tories 13% and LDs 10% into Electoral Calculus and you get Brexit Party 394 seats, Labour 153, LDs 22 and Tories 1.
    > >
    > > The LDs did not come first in 2010 so obviously they would not have got most seats. The 23% the LDs got in 2010 is also 7% below the 30% the Brexit Party are now polling for the European elections.
    > >
    > > In France En Marche went from 0 seats to a majority of seats in just one election. If Westminster betrays the Brexit vote and we are still in the EU by the next general election the Brexit Party will benefit from an SNP 2015 style surge from Leave voters while the Remainer vote is divided between the main parties
    > >
    > > https://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/cgi-bin/usercode.py?CON=13&LAB=21&LIB=10&UKIP=4&Green=9&ChUK=9&Brexit=30&TVCON=&TVLAB=&TVLIB=&TVUKIP=&TVGreen=&TVChUK=&TVBrexit=&SCOTCON=&SCOTLAB=&SCOTLIB=&SCOTUKIP=&SCOTGreen=&SCOTChUK=&SCOTBrexit=&SCOTNAT=&display=AllChanged&regorseat=(none)&boundary=2017base
    >
    > -----------
    >
    > But it is just not going to happen. The Brexit Party may well get lots of votes - even above the 30% being quoted at the moment - in the Euro Elections but momentum or not they are not going to get anywhere near that - not even half of that I would suggest - at a GE.
    >
    > The public are far more sophisticated than you seem to give them credit for and far more able to differentiate between elections in terms of who they want to vote for. A single issue party with, at best, dubious positions on many other aspects of politics that matter to people are not gong to end up winning most seats in Parliament. I would be absolutely staggered if they even got into double figures.
    >

I mostly agree. People split their tickets in different types of elections.
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    HYUFD said:

> @Richard_Tyndall said:

> > @HYUFD said:

> >

> >

> > https://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/cgi-bin/usercode.py?

>

> -----------

>

>

>

It may well happen. I have been canvassing on and off for over 20 years and I have never seen people as angry as I found Leave voters when canvassing for the recent local elections due to the fact we are still in the EU.

If we are still in the EU by the next general election those Leave voters will surge to the Brexit Party much as Nationalists surged to the SNP in 2015 after indyref 2014

Anger isn't an emotion that lasts though. And voting for the Brexit Party to give the Tories a kick might well quench it, giving the Conservatives a chance to rebuild over the summer.
  • Options
    thecommissionerthecommissioner Posts: 165
    edited May 2019
    > @HYUFD said:

> It may well happen. I have been canvassing on and off for over 20 years and I have never seen people as angry as I found Leave voters when canvassing for the recent local elections due to the fact we are still in the EU.
    >
    > If we are still in the EU by the next general election those Leave voters will surge to the Brexit Party much as Nationalists surged to the SNP in 2015 after indyref 2014

---------------------------------
    The Scots did that knowing that the SNP controlled Holyrood and possessed Westminster representation.

For the BP to do it, they essentially need a large scale defection to make the vote seem worthwhile.

It also needs to be remembered that some who voted for the SNP didn't vote for independence/leave. They did, however, vote for a party that would 'stand up for Scotland'.

The latter part is where people will be attracted to the BP should we remain in. The hesitant remainers wanting someone to stand up for them in Brussels is where the 50% would eventually arise in euro elections.

The Italians are at about 70%. in similar circumstances.
  • Options
    > @thecommissioner said:
    > Annunziata is rumoured to be the BP candidate for Peterborough, though Barry Fry would make a good alternative.

That'll get the gammons reaching for the Kleenex.

(For the avoidance of doubt, I'm not referring to Barry Fry!)
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    > @Recidivist said:
    >
    > > > @HYUFD said:
    >
    > > > Put in the latest Yougov Euro elections poll ratings of Brexit Party 30%, Labour 21%, Tories 13% and LDs 10% into Electoral Calculus and you get Brexit Party 394 seats, Labour 153, LDs 22 and Tories 1.
    >
    > > >
    >
    > > > The LDs did not come first in 2010 so obviously they would not have got most seats. The 23% the LDs got in 2010 is also 7% below the 30% the Brexit Party are now polling for the European elections.
    >
    > > >
    >
    >
    >
    > > > https://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/cgi-bin/usercode.py?
    >
    > >
    >
    > > -----------
    >
    > >
    >
    > > But it is just not going to happen. The Brexit Party may well get lots of votes - even above the 30% being quoted at the moment - in the Euro Elections but momentum or not they are not going to get anywhere near that - not even half of that I would suggest - at a GE.
    >
    > >
    >
    > > The public are far more sophisticated than you seem to give them credit for and far more able to differentiate between elections in terms of who they want to vote for. A single issue party with, at best, dubious positions on many other aspects of politics that matter to people are not gong to end up winning most seats in Parliament. I would be absolutely staggered if they even got into double figures.
    >
    > >
    >
    > > Outside of the Euros Farage has always flattered to deceive and always will.
    >
    >
    >
    > It may well happen. I have been canvassing on and off for over 20 years and I have never seen people as angry as I found Leave voters when canvassing for the recent local elections due to the fact we are still in the EU.
    >
    >
    >
    > If we are still in the EU by the next general election those Leave voters will surge to the Brexit Party much as Nationalists surged to the SNP in 2015 after indyref 2014
    >
    > Anger isn't an emotion that lasts though. And voting for the Brexit Party to give the Tories a kick might well quench it, giving the Conservatives a chance to rebuild over the summer.

Parliament gave people a vote, the people voted, then completely ignored that result, that anger will certainly last until the next general election.

Leavers are waiting to exact their revenge, if we have not left the EU by the end of June the Brexit Party surge in the EU elections will be just the start
  • Options
    > @MikeSmithson said:
    > It is complete bollocks to take a European Parliament voting intentions poll and apply it to a general election. Go look at what happened in 2015. This is so tedious

No it isn't, I am afraid diehard Remainers have no comprehension of the anger most Leavers currently feel.

In 2015 Cameron promised a referendum if he got a majority then delivered it. The difference now is the result has not been implemented
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    HYUFD said:

> @Recidivist said:

>

> > > @HYUFD said:

>

>

> > -----------

>

> >

>

> > But it is just not going to happen. The Brexit Party may well get lots of votes - even above the 30% being quoted at the moment - in the Euro Elections but momentum or not they are not going to get anywhere near that - not even half of that I would suggest - at a GE.

>

> >

>

> > The public are far more sophisticated than you seem to give them credit for and far more able to differentiate between elections in terms of who they want to vote for. A single issue party with, at best, dubious positions on many other aspects of politics that matter to people are not gong to end up winning most seats in Parliament. I would be absolutely staggered if they even got into double figures.

>

> >

>

> > Outside of the Euros Farage has always flattered to deceive and always will.

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> Anger isn't an emotion that lasts though. And voting for the Brexit Party to give the Tories a kick might well quench it, giving the Conservatives a chance to rebuild over the summer.

Parliament gave people a vote, the people voted, then completely ignored that result, that anger will certainly last until the next general election.

Leavers are waiting to exact their revenge, if we have not left the EU by the end of June the Brexit Party surge in the EU elections will be just the start

Well let's see. The Tories still have a big membership and an organisation on the ground. The Brexit Party don't even have members yet, and for all his talents Farage isn't a team player so might find it hard having an organisation. And if they have aspirations to replace the Tories they are going to have to trouble us with some policies at some point. And once you have policies you can't appeal to everyone.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,668
    edited May 2019
    HYUFD said:

> @MikeSmithson said:

> It is complete bollocks to take a European Parliament voting intentions poll and apply it to a general election. Go look at what happened in 2015. This is so tedious

No it isn't, I am afraid diehard Remainers have no comprehension of the anger most Leavers currently feel.

In 2015 Cameron promised a referendum if he got a majority then delivered it. The difference now is the result has not been implemented

If you're going to use Electoral Calculus for Westiminster predictions shouldn't you plug in the latest YouGov Westminster VI poll: Lab 30, Con 27, BP 14, LD 11, Grn 5?

That gives Labour as largest party with 299 in a hung parliament. BP get 1 (yes one) seat...

https://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/cgi-bin/usercode.py?CON=27&LAB=30&LIB=11&UKIP=4&Green=5&ChUK=3&Brexit=14&TVCON=&TVLAB=&TVLIB=&TVUKIP=&TVGreen=&TVChUK=&TVBrexit=&SCOTCON=&SCOTLAB=&SCOTLIB=&SCOTUKIP=&SCOTGreen=&SCOTChUK=&SCOTBrexit=&SCOTNAT=&display=AllChanged&regorseat=(none)&boundary=2017base
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

> @AlastairMeeks said:

> Dominic Raab’s campaign for the leadership role is fully up and running. You can’t fault his ambition though his judgement looks questionable.

But not as questionable as the judgement of his cheerleaders.

Cheerleaders? Where?

... oh, not those sort of cheerleaders 😉
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,981
    > @HYUFD said:
    > > @MikeSmithson said:
    > > It is complete bollocks to take a European Parliament voting intentions poll and apply it to a general election. Go look at what happened in 2015. This is so tedious
    >
    > No it isn't, I am afraid diehard Remainers have no comprehension of the anger most Leavers currently feel.
    >
    > In 2015 Cameron promised a referendum if he got a majority then delivered it. The difference now is the result has not been implemented

Yes because it's unimplementable.

Well it can be implemented but I suspect your typical leaver will regret it in 3-5 years time as the unavoidable cuts are implemented after the tax base is destroyed.

Now I'm not saying that things don't need to be solved, one chief cause of the referendum result was austerity but implementing things isn't going to make West Wales suddenly better off than Slovenia - that requires a government with ambition to make the poorer parts of the UK better off - and a no government cares about that at the moment as they have bigger poltical issues to solve.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,298
    > @Benpointer said:
    > > @MikeSmithson said:
    >
    > > It is complete bollocks to take a European Parliament voting intentions poll and apply it to a general election. Go look at what happened in 2015. This is so tedious
    >
    >
    >
    > No it isn't, I am afraid diehard Remainers have no comprehension of the anger most Leavers currently feel.
    >
    >
    >
    > In 2015 Cameron promised a referendum if he got a majority then delivered it. The difference now is the result has not been implemented
    >
    > If you're going to use Electoral Calculus for Westiminster predictions shouldn't you plug in the latest YouGov Westminster VI poll: Lab 30, Con 27, BP 14, LD 11, Grn 5?
    >
    > That gives Labour as largest party with 299 in a hung parliament. BP get 1 (yes one) seat...
    >
    > https://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/cgi-bin/usercode.py?CON=27&LAB=30&LIB=11&UKIP=4&Green=5&ChUK=3&Brexit=14&TVCON=&TVLAB=&TVLIB=&TVUKIP=&TVGreen=&TVChUK=&TVBrexit=&SCOTCON=&SCOTLAB=&SCOTLIB=&SCOTUKIP=&SCOTGreen=&SCOTChUK=&SCOTBrexit=&SCOTNAT=&display=AllChanged&regorseat=(none)&boundary=2017base

No that cannot be right. Don't you know Hyufd expects Farage to be PM
  • Options

> @Benpointer said:

> > @MikeSmithson said:

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> If you're going to use Electoral Calculus for Westiminster predictions shouldn't you plug in the latest YouGov Westminster VI poll: Lab 30, Con 27, BP 14, LD 11, Grn 5?

>

> That gives Labour as largest party with 299 in a hung parliament. BP get 1 (yes one) seat...

>

> https://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/cgi-bin/usercode.py?CON=27&LAB=30&LIB=11&UKIP=4&Green=5&ChUK=3&Brexit=14&TVCON=&TVLAB=&TVLIB=&TVUKIP=&TVGreen=&TVChUK=&TVBrexit=&SCOTCON=&SCOTLAB=&SCOTLIB=&SCOTUKIP=&SCOTGreen=&SCOTChUK=&SCOTBrexit=&SCOTNAT=&display=AllChanged&regorseat=(none)&boundary=2017base

No that cannot be right. Don't you know Hyufd expects Farage to be PM

Good point.

What on earth is HYUFD taking these days?!
  • Options
    > @eek said:
    > > @HYUFD said:
    > > > @MikeSmithson said:
    > > > It is complete bollocks to take a European Parliament voting intentions poll and apply it to a general election. Go look at what happened in 2015. This is so tedious
    > >
    > > No it isn't, I am afraid diehard Remainers have no comprehension of the anger most Leavers currently feel.
    > >
    > > In 2015 Cameron promised a referendum if he got a majority then delivered it. The difference now is the result has not been implemented
    >
    > Yes because it's unimplementable.
    >
    > Well it can be implemented but I suspect your typical leaver will regret it in 3-5 years time as the unavoidable cuts are implemented after the tax base is destroyed.
    >
    > Now I'm not saying that things don't need to be solved, one chief cause of the referendum result was austerity but implementing things isn't going to make West Wales suddenly better off than Slovenia - that requires a government with ambition to make the poorer parts of the UK better off - and a no government cares about that at the moment as they have bigger poltical issues to solve.

If remainers felt so strongly how come the LDs and Greens were the big winners on Thursday with the parties of Brexit, LAB and CON, the losers.
  • Options

> @thecommissioner said:

> Annunziata is rumoured to be the BP candidate for Peterborough, though Barry Fry would make a good alternative.

Who is Annunziata?
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    > @Benpointer said:
    > > @MikeSmithson said:

So basically Brexit Party might either get 1 seat or 394 seats. Well, that leaves plenty of space in these forecasts for the reality to slot into! :-D
  • Options

> @thecommissioner said:

Who is Annunziata?
    Nancy to her friends.
  • Options
    > @Benpointer said:
    > > @Benpointer said:
    >
    >
    > >
    >
    > > > It is complete bollocks to take a European Parliament voting intentions poll and apply it to a general election. Go look at what happened in 2015. This is so tedious
    >
    > >
    >
    > >
    >
    > >
    >
    > > No it isn't, I am afraid diehard Remainers have no comprehension of the anger most Leavers currently feel.
    >
    > >
    >
    > >
    >
    > >
    >
    > > In 2015 Cameron promised a referendum if he got a majority then delivered it. The difference now is the result has not been implemented
    >
    > >
    >
    > > If you're going to use Electoral Calculus for Westiminster predictions shouldn't you plug in the latest YouGov Westminster VI poll: Lab 30, Con 27, BP 14, LD 11, Grn 5?
    >
    > >
    >
    > > That gives Labour as largest party with 299 in a hung parliament. BP get 1 (yes one) seat...
    >
    > >
    >
    > > https://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/cgi-bin/usercode.py?CON=27&LAB=30&LIB=11&UKIP=4&Green=5&ChUK=3&Brexit=14&TVCON=&TVLAB=&TVLIB=&TVUKIP=&TVGreen=&TVChUK=&TVBrexit=&SCOTCON=&SCOTLAB=&SCOTLIB=&SCOTUKIP=&SCOTGreen=&SCOTChUK=&SCOTBrexit=&SCOTNAT=&display=AllChanged&regorseat=(none)&boundary=2017base
    >
    >
    >
    > No that cannot be right. Don't you know Hyufd expects Farage to be PM
    >
    > Good point.
    >
    > What on earth is HYUFD taking these days?!

I have no idea but he has gone from Boris being the brexit saviour to Farage, even to the point he suggests Farage could be PM
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,750
    When will the ruse that the talks mean anything be dropped?

"Labour's shadow chancellor says he does not trust Theresa May after details from cross-party talks on Brexit were leaked to the press"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-48165373
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    That was the most brutally one-sided hammering in a World Championship final since O'Sullivan blanked Dott 8-0 in 2004.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    Mrs May looks quite unwell. For her own sake I think she should call it a day.

(By contrast Vince Cable looks ten years younger.)
  • Options
    > @thecommissioner said:
    > > @HYUFD said:
    >
    > > It may well happen. I have been canvassing on and off for over 20 years and I have never seen people as angry as I found Leave voters when canvassing for the recent local elections due to the fact we are still in the EU.
    > >
    > > If we are still in the EU by the next general election those Leave voters will surge to the Brexit Party much as Nationalists surged to the SNP in 2015 after indyref 2014
    >
    > ---------------------------------
    > The Scots did that knowing that the SNP controlled Holyrood and possessed Westminster representation.
    >
    > For the BP to do it, they essentially need a large scale defection to make the vote seem worthwhile.
    >
    > It also needs to be remembered that some who voted for the SNP didn't vote for independence/leave. They did, however, vote for a party that would 'stand up for Scotland'.
    >
    > The latter part is where people will be attracted to the BP should we remain in. The hesitant remainers wanting someone to stand up for them in Brussels is where the 50% would eventually arise in euro elections.
    >
    > The Italians are at about 70%. in similar circumstances.
    >

If even some Remainers voted Brexit Party and they won an SNP 2015 style win forget a Brexit Party majority or even a Brexit Party landslide, it would be a Brexit Party avalanche
  • Options
    > @HYUFD said:
    > > @MikeSmithson said:
    >
    >

In Bedford, which voted Leave in the referendum, where I live the LDs gained six seats and the Greens two on Thursday. The losers were the pro-Brexit parties of CON and LAB
  • Options
    edited May 2019

So basically Brexit Party might either get 1 seat or 394 seats. Well, that leaves plenty of space in these forecasts for the reality to slot into! :-D

No it doesn't. You've left out zero.
  • Options
    > @Recidivist said:
    > > @Recidivist said:
    >
    > > > @Richard_Tyndall said:
    >
    > >
    >
    > > > > @HYUFD said:
    >
    > >
    >
    >
    > >
    >
    > > > -----------
    >
    > >
    >
    > > >
    >
    > >
    >
    > > > But it is just not going to happen. The Brexit Party may well get lots of votes - even above the 30% being quoted at the moment - in the Euro Elections but momentum or not they are not going to get anywhere near that - not even half of that I would suggest - at a GE.
    >
    > >
    >
    > > >
    >
    > >
    >
    > > > The public are far more sophisticated than you seem to give them credit for and far more able to differentiate between elections in terms of who they want to vote for. A single issue party with, at best, dubious positions on many other aspects of politics that matter to people are not gong to end up winning most seats in Parliament. I would be absolutely staggered if they even got into double figures.
    >
    > >
    >
    > > >
    >
    > >
    >
    > > > Outside of the Euros Farage has always flattered to deceive and always will.
    >
    > >
    >
    > >
    >
    > >
    >
    > > It may well happen. I have been canvassing on and off for over 20 years and I have never seen people as angry as I found Leave voters when canvassing for the recent local elections due to the fact we are still in the EU.
    >
    > >
    >
    > >
    >
    > >
    >
    > > If we are still in the EU by the next general election those Leave voters will surge to the Brexit Party much as Nationalists surged to the SNP in 2015 after indyref 2014
    >
    > >
    >
    > > Anger isn't an emotion that lasts though. And voting for the Brexit Party to give the Tories a kick might well quench it, giving the Conservatives a chance to rebuild over the summer.
    >
    >
    >
    > Parliament gave people a vote, the people voted, then completely ignored that result, that anger will certainly last until the next general election.
    >
    >
    >
    > Leavers are waiting to exact their revenge, if we have not left the EU by the end of June the Brexit Party surge in the EU elections will be just the start
    >
    > Well let's see. The Tories still have a big membership and an organisation on the ground. The Brexit Party don't even have members yet, and for all his talents Farage isn't a team player so might find it hard having an organisation. And if they have aspirations to replace the Tories they are going to have to trouble us with some policies at some point. And once you have policies you can't appeal to everyone.

Until we leave the EU the Brexit Party don't need a single policy beyond leaving the EU to have Leavers flooding to them
  • Options
    > @Benpointer said:
    > > @thecommissioner said:
    >
    > > Annunziata is rumoured to be the BP candidate for Peterborough, though Barry Fry would make a good alternative.
    >
    >
    >
    > That'll get the gammons reaching for the Kleenex.
    >
    >
    >
    > (For the avoidance of doubt, I'm not referring to Barry Fry!)
    >
    > Who is Annunziata?
    >
    > Nancy to her friends.

Nobody calls her Nancy.

And I think I'm the only one to call her The Moggette.
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    > @Roger said:
    > Mrs May looks quite unwell. For her own sake I think she should call it a day.
    >
    > (By contrast Vince Cable looks ten years younger.)
    >
    >

I agree.

She needs to hand over, take a rest, and watch as a brexiteer PM makes an even worse job of leaving.. Cable has no cares as he retires with an excellent win
  • Options
    > @Benpointer said:
    > > @MikeSmithson said:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Irrelevant as Labour and the Tories are still promising we will have left the EU by the next general election.

If we have not actually left the EU by the next general election European elections Brexit Party voters will turn into general election Brexit Party voters
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    > @kle4 said:
    > When will the ruse that the talks mean anything be dropped?
    >
    > "Labour's shadow chancellor says he does not trust Theresa May after details from cross-party talks on Brexit were leaked to the press"
    >
    > https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-48165373

https://twitter.com/guardiannews/status/1125145579707883520?s=21
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,226
    I believe we are in the period of EU election when broadcasting rules apply.

So can someone who knows more than me about these rules, explain why the BBC have just run a piece on the news about the EU elections which included a segment with BP and Farage?

This is a party who only formed about a month ago, with no EU election track record, no MPs and no local councillors.

What the f!!!
  • Options
    > @HYUFD said:
    > > > @HYUFD said:
    > >
    > > > It may well happen. I have been canvassing on and off for over 20 years and I have never seen people as angry as I found Leave voters when canvassing for the recent local elections due to the fact we are still in the EU.
    > > >
    > > > If we are still in the EU by the next general election those Leave voters will surge to the Brexit Party much as Nationalists surged to the SNP in 2015 after indyref 2014
    > >
    > > ---------------------------------
    > > The Scots did that knowing that the SNP controlled Holyrood and possessed Westminster representation.
    > >
    > > For the BP to do it, they essentially need a large scale defection to make the vote seem worthwhile.
    > >
    > > It also needs to be remembered that some who voted for the SNP didn't vote for independence/leave. They did, however, vote for a party that would 'stand up for Scotland'.
    > >
    > > The latter part is where people will be attracted to the BP should we remain in. The hesitant remainers wanting someone to stand up for them in Brussels is where the 50% would eventually arise in euro elections.
    > >
    > > The Italians are at about 70%. in similar circumstances.
    > >
    >
    > If even some Remainers voted Brexit Party and they won an SNP 2015 style win forget a Brexit Party majority or even a Brexit Party landslide, it would be a Brexit Party avalanche

You are becoming a laughing stock
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

...which is actually the most likely outcome by far.
  • Options

Who is Annunziata?

She is JRM's sister. I'm sure the interview was very thorough. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Annunziata_Rees-Mogg

• Options
    edited May 2019

> @Benpointer said:

>

> > Annunziata is rumoured to be the BP candidate for Peterborough, though Barry Fry would make a good alternative.

>

>

>

> That'll get the gammons reaching for the Kleenex.

>

>

>

> (For the avoidance of doubt, I'm not referring to Barry Fry!)

>

> Who is Annunziata?

>

> Nancy to her friends.

Nobody calls her Nancy.

And I think I'm the only one to call her The Moggette.

I never said she had any friends!
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,150
    > @HYUFD said:
    >

I'm sure there are some angry people. But for this to translate to serious GE numbers for Farage you need:
    1) Lots of them
    2) Them to weigh the EU way ahead of everything else

I don't see how you can reconcile these two assumptions with the fact that UKIP just scored a grand total of 31 council seats.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

> @Benpointer said:

> > @MikeSmithson said:

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

Irrelevant as Labour and the Tories are still promising we will have left the EU by the next general election.

If we have not actually left the EU by the next general election European elections Brexit Party voters will turn into general election Brexit Party voters

In your opinion.

But stop trying to use the Euro election poll findings to predict a Westminster election that may still be 3 years off.
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    > @MikeSmithson said:
    > > @eek said:
    > > > @HYUFD said:
    > > > > @MikeSmithson said:
    > > > > It is complete bollocks to take a European Parliament voting intentions poll and apply it to a general election. Go look at what happened in 2015. This is so tedious
    > > >
    > > > No it isn't, I am afraid diehard Remainers have no comprehension of the anger most Leavers currently feel.
    > > >
    > > > In 2015 Cameron promised a referendum if he got a majority then delivered it. The difference now is the result has not been implemented
    > >
    > > Yes because it's unimplementable.
    > >
    > > Well it can be implemented but I suspect your typical leaver will regret it in 3-5 years time as the unavoidable cuts are implemented after the tax base is destroyed.
    > >
    > > Now I'm not saying that things don't need to be solved, one chief cause of the referendum result was austerity but implementing things isn't going to make West Wales suddenly better off than Slovenia - that requires a government with ambition to make the poorer parts of the UK better off - and a no government cares about that at the moment as they have bigger poltical issues to solve.
    >
    > If remainers felt so strongly how come the LDs and Greens were the big winners on Thursday with the parties of Brexit, LAB and CON, the losers.

Lab and Con are not truly the parties of Brexit until we actually Brexit, in case you had not noticed almost 3 years after we voted to Leave the EU we are still in the EU.

The Brexit Party did not stand in the local elections either, many Leavers either stayed at home, spoiled their ballot papers or voted for Independents, the latter of whom made big gains at the Tories and Labour's expense e.g. in Bolsover.

A few Leavers even voted LD to mend their potholes, nationally however they will vote Brexit Party in the European Parliament elections
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

And 650. I'm fairly sure it'll get between 0 and 650 seats. Which I hope drives home the point that a prediction is only useful if a) it can be used for betting purposes and b) is in a form whereby the accuracy can be measured.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    > @MikeSmithson said:
    > > @HYUFD said:
    > >
    > >
    >
    > In Bedford, which voted Leave in the referendum, where I live the LDs gained six seats and the Greens two on Thursday. The losers were the pro-Brexit parties of CON and LAB

To be fair - neither of those parties appear to be overly pro brexit do they.
  • Options
    It's late, I am going to wish you all good night and leave you to HYUFD's rantings.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    > @viewcode said:
    >
    > God, me also.

How do you read them with the arrows? I cant work it out
  • Options

It is complete bollocks to take a European Parliament voting intentions poll and apply it to a general election. Go look at what happened in 2015. This is so tedious

OTOH, the Tories came first in seats and votes in both the 2009 Euros and the subsequent 2010 GE. The only time in the last 20 years that the Euro winners went on to win the GE.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

ydoethur said:

And 650. I'm fairly sure it'll get between 0 and 650 seats. Which I hope drives home the point that a prediction is only useful if a) it can be used for betting purposes and b) is in a form whereby the accuracy can be measured.
    Of course, this presupposes that they don't get a minus number.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Who is Annunziata?

She is JRM's sister. I'm sure the interview was very thorough. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Annunziata_Rees-Mogg

Thanks
  • Options
    > @HYUFD said:
    > > @Benpointer said:
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > If you're going to use Electoral Calculus for Westiminster predictions shouldn't you plug in the latest YouGov Westminster VI poll: Lab 30, Con 27, BP 14, LD 11, Grn 5?
    > >
    > > That gives Labour as largest party with 299 in a hung parliament. BP get 1 (yes one) seat...
    > >
    > > https://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/cgi-bin/usercode.py?CON=27&LAB=30&LIB=11&UKIP=4&Green=5&ChUK=3&Brexit=14&TVCON=&TVLAB=&TVLIB=&TVUKIP=&TVGreen=&TVChUK=&TVBrexit=&SCOTCON=&SCOTLAB=&SCOTLIB=&SCOTUKIP=&SCOTGreen=&SCOTChUK=&SCOTBrexit=&SCOTNAT=&display=AllChanged&regorseat=(none)&boundary=2017base
    >
    > Irrelevant as Labour and the Tories are still promising we will have left the EU by the next general election.
    >
    > If we have not actually left the EU by the next general election European elections Brexit Party voters will turn into general election Brexit Party voters

How do you know apart from your "feeling" which happens to fit your own desire?
  • Options
    > @Benpointer said:
    > It's late, I am going to wish you all good night and leave you to HYUFD's rantings.

Goodnight Ben

Hyufd is living in his own world and adds to the gaiety of the site with some of his more ridiculous assumptions

And I too will bid everyone a pleasant nights rest

Good night folks
  • Options
    > @Sunil_Prasannan said:
    >
    > OTOH, the Tories came first in seats and votes in both the 2009 Euros and the subsequent 2010 GE. The only time in the last 20 years that the Euro winners went on to win the GE.

2009 was a very bad summer for Brown's LAB
  • Options
    > @Floater said:
    > > @MikeSmithson said:
    > > > @HYUFD said:
    > > > > It is complete bollocks to take a European Parliament voting intentions poll and apply it to a general election. Go look at what happened in 2015. This is so tedious
    > > >
    > > > No it isn't, I am afraid diehard Remainers have no comprehension of the anger most Leavers currently feel.
    > > >
    > > > In 2015 Cameron promised a referendum if he got a majority then delivered it. The difference now is the result has not been implemented
    > >
    > > In Bedford, which voted Leave in the referendum, where I live the LDs gained six seats and the Greens two on Thursday. The losers were the pro-Brexit parties of CON and LAB
    >
    > To be fair - neither of those parties appear to be overly pro brexit do they.

Exactly, if they were we would have left the EU at the end of March as they promised.

Labour and the Tories were punished on Thursday because they have not delivered Brexit not because they are pro Brexit as far as Leavers are concerned
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    > @edmundintokyo said:
    > > @HYUFD said:
    > >
    >
    > I'm sure there are some angry people. But for this to translate to serious GE numbers for Farage you need:
    > 1) Lots of them
    > 2) Them to weigh the EU way ahead of everything else
    >
    > I don't see how you can reconcile these two assumptions with the fact that UKIP just scored a grand total of 31 council seats.

UKIP is now a far right party linked to Tommy Robinson, only 10 to 15% will vote for that and they stood in less than 20% of wards.

The Brexit Party represent the 52% of voters who voted Leave and whose vote Westminster has so far refused to respect
  • Options
    > @HYUFD said:
    > > @Floater said:
    > > > > @HYUFD said:
    > > > > > @MikeSmithson said:
    > > > > > It is complete bollocks to take a European Parliament voting intentions poll and apply it to a general election. Go look at what happened in 2015. This is so tedious
    > > > >
    > > > > No it isn't, I am afraid diehard Remainers have no comprehension of the anger most Leavers currently feel.
    > > > >
    > > > > In 2015 Cameron promised a referendum if he got a majority then delivered it. The difference now is the result has not been implemented
    > > >
    > > > In Bedford, which voted Leave in the referendum, where I live the LDs gained six seats and the Greens two on Thursday. The losers were the pro-Brexit parties of CON and LAB
    > >
    > > To be fair - neither of those parties appear to be overly pro brexit do they.
    >
    > Exactly, if they were we would have left the EU at the end of March as they promised.
    >
    >
    > Labour and the Tories were punished on Thursday because they have not delivered Brexit not because they are pro Brexit as far as Leavers are concerned

That's your explanation of the Tories losing hundreds of seats to the LibDems?

I think we all need to call it a night.
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979
    HYUFD -

Please don't read everything in the press and believe it.

To be honest a substantial figure who is not going to run as party leader in the Tories or Labour needs to address the Brexit agenda in the Tory press as it is selling its readership short. British politics has seen the press drive occasional flirtations with marginal figures in order to get an agenda higher up the order of priorities.

The current fixation with Farage is completely disproportionate to his and his new parties impact on national debate. Only fools are taken in by the Tory media narrative about its prospects at a GE.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,970
    @ydoethur.
    Yep you called it. Left to watch Line of Duty, and discovered I'd missed the snooker...8 in a row. Game over now for sure.
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    > @MikeSmithson said:
    > > @HYUFD said:
    > > > @Benpointer said:
    > > >
    > > >
    > > >
    > > >
    > > >
    > > >
    > > >
    > > >
    > > > If you're going to use Electoral Calculus for Westiminster predictions shouldn't you plug in the latest YouGov Westminster VI poll: Lab 30, Con 27, BP 14, LD 11, Grn 5?
    > > >
    > > > That gives Labour as largest party with 299 in a hung parliament. BP get 1 (yes one) seat...
    > > >
    > > > https://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/cgi-bin/usercode.py?CON=27&LAB=30&LIB=11&UKIP=4&Green=5&ChUK=3&Brexit=14&TVCON=&TVLAB=&TVLIB=&TVUKIP=&TVGreen=&TVChUK=&TVBrexit=&SCOTCON=&SCOTLAB=&SCOTLIB=&SCOTUKIP=&SCOTGreen=&SCOTChUK=&SCOTBrexit=&SCOTNAT=&display=AllChanged&regorseat=(none)&boundary=2017base
    > >
    > > Irrelevant as Labour and the Tories are still promising we will have left the EU by the next general election.
    > >
    > > If we have not actually left the EU by the next general election European elections Brexit Party voters will turn into general election Brexit Party voters
    >
    > How do you know apart from your "feeling" which happens to fit your own desire?

I voted Remain but I also respect democracy, at the moment it seems most MPs do not as we are still in the EU. That is just asking for a voter backlash and it will come until Brexit is delivered
  • Options

That's your explanation of the Tories losing hundreds of seats to the LibDems?

I think we all need to call it a night.

Galahad. He was a good knight.

And that is what I wish you all now.
  • Options
    Who'd have thought an SNP minority administration in 2007 would lead to the obliteration of Scottish Labour within 8 years and a virtual one party state in Scotland?

UKIP's first win was 2014. Eight years later is 2022.

If one party successfully cast itself as the best advocates and defenders for the nation against Westminster/Brussels big wins are clearly possible.

SNP in Scotland, Fidesz in Hungary, Lega Nord in Italy, Law and Justice in Poland.
  • Options
    edited May 2019

> @Sunil_Prasannan said:

>

> OTOH, the Tories came first in seats and votes in both the 2009 Euros and the subsequent 2010 GE. The only time in the last 20 years that the Euro winners went on to win the GE.

2009 was a very bad summer for Brown's LAB

I notice that the "swings" the GE winners obtained compared to their Euro performance where they came second is around the same (13-14%) since 1999:

1999 Labour (2nd) 26.3%
    2001 Labour (win) 40.7%
    swing = 14.4%

2004 Labour (2nd) 21.9%
    2005 Labour (win) 35.2%
    swing = 13.3%

2014 Tory (3rd) 23.1%
    2015 Tory (win) 36.8%
    swing = 13.7%

Obviously, this doesn't apply to 2009 v. 2010! But weirdly enough, Labour did gain 13.8% in 2010!
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    > @thecommissioner said:
    > Who'd have thought an SNP minority administration in 2007 would lead to the obliteration of Scottish Labour within 8 years and a virtual one party state in Scotland?
    >
    > UKIP's first win was 2014. Eight years later is 2022.
    >
    > If one party successfully cast itself as the best advocates and defenders for the nation against Westminster/Brussels big wins are clearly possible.
    >
    > SNP in Scotland, Fidesz in Hungary, Lega Nord in Italy, Law and Justice in Poland.

Plus Trump in Washington, Bolsonaro in Brazil etc also won by casting themselves as against corrupt, out of touch elites. If Westminster continues to ignore the Brexit vote it is giving Farage the narrative he wants on a plate
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079
    Israel Hamas ceasefire talks break down... Long night ahead.
  • Options
    > @AlastairMeeks said:
    > > @kle4 said:
    > > When will the ruse that the talks mean anything be dropped?
    > >
    > > "Labour's shadow chancellor says he does not trust Theresa May after details from cross-party talks on Brexit were leaked to the press"
    > >
    > > https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-48165373
    >
    > https://twitter.com/guardiannews/status/1125145579707883520?s=21

-----------------------------------
    I am shocked I tell you.

Honestly, the theoreticaly point of the talks seemed to be for the Tories to avoid a referendum somehow, since that might lead to remain, and for Labour to get a Labour Brexit. Getting the latter was not going to be simple even if possible, but if that and a referendum is the goal there really was no point.
  • Options
    > @SandyRentool said:
    > > @HYUFD said:
    > > > @Floater said:
    > > > > > @HYUFD said:
    > > > > > > @MikeSmithson said:
    > > > > > > It is complete bollocks to take a European Parliament voting intentions poll and apply it to a general election. Go look at what happened in 2015. This is so tedious
    > > > > >
    > > > > > No it isn't, I am afraid diehard Remainers have no comprehension of the anger most Leavers currently feel.
    > > > > >
    > > > > > In 2015 Cameron promised a referendum if he got a majority then delivered it. The difference now is the result has not been implemented
    > > > >
    > > > > In Bedford, which voted Leave in the referendum, where I live the LDs gained six seats and the Greens two on Thursday. The losers were the pro-Brexit parties of CON and LAB
    > > >
    > > > To be fair - neither of those parties appear to be overly pro brexit do they.
    > >
    > > Exactly, if they were we would have left the EU at the end of March as they promised.
    > >
    > >
    > > Labour and the Tories were punished on Thursday because they have not delivered Brexit not because they are pro Brexit as far as Leavers are concerned
    >
    > That's your explanation of the Tories losing hundreds of seats to the LibDems?
    >
    > I think we all need to call it a night.

Plenty of Leaver Tories voted for Independents or stayed at home, that would have helped produce LD gains from the Tories even if Tories did not directly switch to the LDs
  • Options
    > @The_Taxman said:
    > HYUFD -
    >
    > Please don't read everything in the press and believe it.
    >
    > To be honest a substantial figure who is not going to run as party leader in the Tories or Labour needs to address the Brexit agenda in the Tory press as it is selling its readership short. British politics has seen the press drive occasional flirtations with marginal figures in order to get an agenda higher up the order of priorities.
    >
    > The current fixation with Farage is completely disproportionate to his and his new parties impact on national debate. Only fools are taken in by the Tory media narrative about its prospects at a GE.

I don't need to read the press to find the anger of Leavers we are still in the EU, I found plenty of it canvassing estates in the local elections
  • Options
    > @kle4 said:
    > > @AlastairMeeks said:
    > > > @kle4 said:
    > > > When will the ruse that the talks mean anything be dropped?
    > > >
    > > > "Labour's shadow chancellor says he does not trust Theresa May after details from cross-party talks on Brexit were leaked to the press"
    > > >
    > > > https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-48165373
    > >
    > > https://twitter.com/guardiannews/status/1125145579707883520?s=21
    >
    > -----------------------------------
    > I am shocked I tell you.
    >
    > Honestly, the theoreticaly point of the talks seemed to be for the Tories to avoid a referendum somehow, since that might lead to remain, and for Labour to get a Labour Brexit. Getting the latter was not going to be simple even if possible, but if that and a referendum is the goal there really was no point.

Except so far Deal plus Customs Union is closer to a majority amongst MPs than Deal plus confirmatory referendum as the indicative votes proved
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,150
    I have to say if Brexit is going to happen, I definitely prefer the HYUFD alternate world version where Farage wins a majority and does it, and everyone can see how it goes.

If parties that used to be pro-remain are doing it its supporters will blame all the resulting problems on them being insufficiently true to the vision, whereas if Farage is in charge then they might a actually learn something.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,226
    Meanwhile back with the German xmas fruit cakes:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1125149867347718144
  • Options
    > @HYUFD said:
    > > @kle4 said:
    > > > @AlastairMeeks said:
    > > > > @kle4 said:
    > > > > When will the ruse that the talks mean anything be dropped?
    > > > >
    > > > > "Labour's shadow chancellor says he does not trust Theresa May after details from cross-party talks on Brexit were leaked to the press"
    > > > >
    > > > > https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-48165373
    > > >
    > > > https://twitter.com/guardiannews/status/1125145579707883520?s=21
    > >
    > > -----------------------------------
    > > I am shocked I tell you.
    > >
    > > Honestly, the theoreticaly point of the talks seemed to be for the Tories to avoid a referendum somehow, since that might lead to remain, and for Labour to get a Labour Brexit. Getting the latter was not going to be simple even if possible, but if that and a referendum is the goal there really was no point.
    >
    > Except so far Deal plus Customs Union is closer to a majority amongst MPs than Deal plus confirmatory referendum as the indicative votes proved

Then it should not have taken this long to agree something.

Seriously, what are they talking about? I've seen various rehashes of past plans and so on, but it really feels like this could be hashed out pretty quickly, especially when deal plus CU did indeed get pretty close when it was up for an indicative vote.
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    > @HYUFD said:
    > https://twitter.com/hendopolis/status/1125152753360224256?s=20

100 rebels would not stop it if indeed Labour were on board.

But really what a bloody stupid headline. The Tories on their own cannot get Brexit. The DUP won't back anything that May can provide them. Someone else is needed to get Brexit.

Still, with Boris and most of his colleagues having backed May's deal in the end, it at least negates one attack, which would be that those crying the loudest about the possibility of 'caving in' to Labour would also be those who prevented anything else passing. Boris et al can at least defend themselves on that charge.
  • Options
    If rumours re Ms Rees-Mogg and Peterborough are true. Big if.
    That would be a terrible choice imho.
    It is a classic marginal seat in which BP would need to pull voters from both the big 2 to win, even if most Tories there voted Leave and most Labour Remain. The author of advice on how to profit from water shortages, sister of one of the Nation's most prominent right wingers, would be the perfect choice to solidify the creaking Labour vote.
    A local centrist would be much better. Teacher, businessman or the like from outside politics who could appeal to each.
    Not that I'm here to give Nigel advice.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,989
    Just seen The Avengers Endgame. Full of famous faces including Tom Watson as the Incredible Hulk and Joe Biden as the elderly Captain America.
  • Options
    > @HYUFD said:
    > > @SandyRentool said:
    > > > @HYUFD said:
    > > > > @Floater said:
    > > > > > @MikeSmithson said:
    > > > > > > @HYUFD said:
    > > > > > > > @MikeSmithson said:
    > > > > > > > It is complete bollocks to take a European Parliament voting intentions poll and apply it to a general election. Go look at what happened in 2015. This is so tedious
    > > > > > >
    > > > > > > No it isn't, I am afraid diehard Remainers have no comprehension of the anger most Leavers currently feel.
    > > > > > >
    > > > > > > In 2015 Cameron promised a referendum if he got a majority then delivered it. The difference now is the result has not been implemented
    > > > > >
    > > > > > In Bedford, which voted Leave in the referendum, where I live the LDs gained six seats and the Greens two on Thursday. The losers were the pro-Brexit parties of CON and LAB
    > > > >
    > > > > To be fair - neither of those parties appear to be overly pro brexit do they.
    > > >
    > > > Exactly, if they were we would have left the EU at the end of March as they promised.
    > > >
    > > >
    > > > Labour and the Tories were punished on Thursday because they have not delivered Brexit not because they are pro Brexit as far as Leavers are concerned
    > >
    > > That's your explanation of the Tories losing hundreds of seats to the LibDems?
    > >
    > > I think we all need to call it a night.
    >
    > Plenty of Leaver Tories voted for Independents or stayed at home, that would have helped produce LD gains from the Tories even if Tories did not directly switch to the LDs

Is there any evidence turn out was down?
This discussion has been closed.