Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » With the first LE2018 postal votes being cast the signs are no

Comments

• Options
    brendan16brendan16 Posts: 2,315

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

AndyJS said:

IanB2: deciding not to fight elections immediately was one of TIGs worst decisions. When the SDP was formed in 1981, they couldn't wait to get an opportunity to contest elections from what I've read. Being a political party that doesn't want to fight elections is a contradiction in terms.

The SDP actually made the same error back in 1981 by faling to resign their seats to force by elections. Had they done so, virtually all were likely to have been re-elected and better placed to fight the 1983 election. A single late defector - Bruce Douglas -Mann - insisted on a by election at Mitcham & Morden in Spring 1982, but he fell victim to the surge of patriotism which boosted the Tory vote at the time of the Falklands conflict.
    Nah, it was a split Left-wing vote. Angela Rumbold lost a bit of vote-share for the Tories.
    Had the by election been held a few months earlier, Douglas-Mann would have won comfortably on the back of a much lower Tory vote. Just look at what had happened at the Hillhead by election at the end of March 1982 and at Crosby in late November 1981. Tory support shot up dramatically in the May/June 1982 period.
    Search your feelings, Justin. You will know it to be true!

Tory vote-share in 1979 = 43.9%
    Tory vote-share in 1982 = 43.4%

What was the Tory share pre and post the Falklands war in spring 1982. I expect that average is misleading.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,948
    RobD said:

IanB2 said:

Breaking:

"Labour will never defeat Nigel Farage if it continues to “sit on the fence” over Brexit and offers only “mealy-mouthed” support for a second referendum, the party’s deputy leader says today.

In an extraordinary intervention that exposes the tensions at the top of the party over Brexit strategy, Tom Watson warns that Labour will lose to Farage’s new “far right” Brexit party in May’s European elections if it continues to give the impression that “we half agree with him”.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/apr/20/second-eu-referendum-only-way-to-beat-farage-says-watson

How can his party be described as "far right" when it has no other policies except Brexit?
    Far right is just used to mean bad. Perhaps if they have any other policies they will earn the far right label.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,116
    RobD said:

IanB2 said:

Breaking:

"Labour will never defeat Nigel Farage if it continues to “sit on the fence” over Brexit and offers only “mealy-mouthed” support for a second referendum, the party’s deputy leader says today.

In an extraordinary intervention that exposes the tensions at the top of the party over Brexit strategy, Tom Watson warns that Labour will lose to Farage’s new “far right” Brexit party in May’s European elections if it continues to give the impression that “we half agree with him”.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/apr/20/second-eu-referendum-only-way-to-beat-farage-says-watson

How can his party be described as "far right" when it has no other policies except Brexit?
    Its other policy is that Nigel Farage is the one and only leader.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,335
    RobD said:

IanB2 said:

Breaking:

It advocates no deal Brexit. Within the conventional right-left spectrum (noting its strain under the current reshaping of politics) almost all such people are on the rightward end of the Tory Party, or beyond.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited April 2019
    "Europe Elects

@EuropeElects
    8h8 hours ago

Italy (European Election), Ipsos Poll:

LEGA-ENF: 36.9% (+1.2)
    M5S-EFDD: 22.3% (-1)
    PD-S&D: 18.7% (-0.3)
    FI-EPP: 8.7% (-1.2)
    FdI-ECR: 4.6% (+0.6)
    +E/IC-ALDE: 3% (-0.1)

+/- vs. 2-4 Apr. '19

Field work: not revealed yet
    Sample size: 1,000
    http://europeelects.eu/italy"
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,896
    brendan16 said:

Sandpit said:

Might be late to the party, but list of Conservative MEP candidates. They’re putting up a full slate.
    https://www.conservativehome.com/parliament/2019/04/exclusive-the-full-list-of-conservative-mep-candidates.html
    I can’t imagine that anyone bar Daniel Hannan thinks they’re safe.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Hannan is about the only one with a chance of being elected who backs leave. Many of the existing Tory MEPs went native years ago.
    Syed Kamall, Amjad Bashir, and John Flack are Leave supporters, who should get in.

I would guess that for the Conservatives, the top candidates in the North West, Yorkshire & Humberside, South West, West Midlands, East Midlands, Eastern Region, South East, and London are all safe, along with the second candidates in the North West, Eastern Region, and South East.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,334
    IanB2 said:

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

Officers tend to like higher targets not because it delivers more affordable housing but because it makes it easier to drag in lots of commuted housing payments, as per my post below.

Yes, I was just about to +1 your post!

But again that's a policy thing - NP can promise "no commuted housing payments will be accepted" as part of his programme if he wants. Might not be the snappiest slogan. ;)
    But I think in fact you are both slightly missing the point. The point here being that the claim is to build affordable houses it would be necessary to build three times as many high end houses. Which as you have pointed out, isn't the case because the target is a minimum not a law of physics.

So again I say it strikes me as pretty fair bollocks.
    No, in fact I was taking that point as relatively straightforward (since the policy will surely define the target as a minimum, as has already been said) and trying to develop the discussion further.
    OK, fair point. Because I don't have your expert knowledge, I was just considering the basic question of whether the council were telling porkies. I certainly agree that what you did add was valuable, and highly disturbing.
    Disturbing in that any target set for the public sector tends to have unintended consequences. It was the biggest failing of the New Labour control freakery era. Measuring anything using a simplistic target is fraught with danger.

The best example comes from Soviet Russia - concerned at the levels of deaths in hospitals, the USSR required all hospitals to report their levels of inpatient mortality, with the usual severe consequences for the worst offenders. The upshot was that it became common for patients thought to be nearing their end to be wheeled out onto the street so that they could die off hospital premises.
    Believe it or not there was a hospital in Ancient Greece used to do that as well. It was their proud boast that nobody ever died within the temple...
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,115
    saddo said:

I'm so hacked off with May screwing Brexit, I wrote to our local Tory candidates saying I would never vote Tory with May as their leader.

One of them wrote back saying they completely understood and they agreed with my views on May.

I suspect they all know due to May refusing to resign, they are going to get a pumelling in the locals and a near extinction event in the Euro one

So what should the next Conservative leader actually do ?

It wasn't May who voted against leaving the EU - it was the ERG.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,884

saddo said:

I'm so hacked off with May screwing Brexit, I wrote to our local Tory candidates saying I would never vote Tory with May as their leader.

One of them wrote back saying they completely understood and they agreed with my views on May.

I suspect they all know due to May refusing to resign, they are going to get a pumelling in the locals and a near extinction event in the Euro one

It was 52% of the British people who voted.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Yesterday's somewhat downbeat anecdata quoted by Mike wasn't mirrored today, incidentally - rather positive Labour canvassing. I think the reason for the difference is that socioeconomic group does still make a difference down here in a way that it barely does in my former patch. I was canvassing a long road yesterday which allegedly has one of the highest proportions of £1M+houses in Britain (I doubt it, but it's certainly posh), and the Labour vote there is only 10%. In Broxtowe there are similarly luxurious streets where Labour is above 30% - lots of academics brandishing the Guardian and even the occasional Morning Star. Conversely, ex-council estates in Broxtowe are now hard work for Labour, with lots of Kippers, Tories and abstainers, whereas down here they're still predominantly Labour.

I have a theory that housing affordability is a key factor.

In Surrey house prices must lead to high inequality, lower social mobility and lower immigration thus keeping a solid Labour council estate vote.

Whereas the cheap housing of much of Eastern England spreads home ownership further down the socioeconomic ladder and also encourages immigration thus creating a more right-wing working class vote.

The source of the wealth for the posh houses must be different between Surrey and Broxtowe with the former being predominantly City based but a much more public sector element in Broxtowe.
    I like your theory, but you did lose me at "cheap housing of much of Eastern England" . Perhaps "far less expensive than London but still way, way more than County Durham" would be closer to the truth.
    Everything is relative.

:wink:
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,882
    An oldie but goodie:

Who remembers the Easter Saturday 2009 evening when the McBride story broke? :D
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

brendan16 said:

Sandpit said:

Might be late to the party, but list of Conservative MEP candidates. They’re putting up a full slate.
    https://www.conservativehome.com/parliament/2019/04/exclusive-the-full-list-of-conservative-mep-candidates.html

I wouldn’t be surprised if Hannan is about the only one with a chance of being elected who backs leave. Many of the existing Tory MEPs went native years ago.
    Syed Kamall, Amjad Bashir, and John Flack are Leave supporters, who should get in.

I would guess that for the Conservatives, the top candidates in the North West, Yorkshire & Humberside, South West, West Midlands, East Midlands, Eastern Region, South East, and London are all safe, along with the second candidates in the North West, Eastern Region, and South East.
    As an aside, the Conservative lists are dominated by people I've never heard of. I have no clue what they think about Brexit.
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578
    IanB2 said:

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

Officers tend to like higher targets not because it delivers more affordable housing but because it makes it easier to drag in lots of commuted housing payments, as per my post below.

But again that's a policy thing - NP can promise "no commuted housing payments will be accepted" as part of his programme if he wants. Might not be the snappiest slogan. ;)
    But I think in fact you are both slightly missing the point. The point here being that the claim is to build affordable houses it would be necessary to build three times as many high end houses. Which as you have pointed out, isn't the case because the target is a minimum not a law of physics.

No, in fact I was taking that point as relatively straightforward (since the policy will surely define the target as a minimum, as has already been said) and trying to develop the discussion further.
    OK, fair point. Because I don't have your expert knowledge, I was just considering the basic question of whether the council were telling porkies. I certainly agree that what you did add was valuable, and highly disturbing.
    Disturbing in that any target set for the public sector tends to have unintended consequences. It was the biggest failing of the New Labour control freakery era. Measuring anything using a simplistic target is fraught with danger.

The best example comes from Soviet Russia - concerned at the levels of deaths in hospitals, the USSR required all hospitals to report their levels of inpatient mortality, with the usual severe consequences for the worst offenders. The upshot was that it became common for patients thought to be nearing their end to be wheeled out onto the street so that they could die off hospital premises.
    So how do we measure the performance of the public sector if we do not set targets because they may create unintended consequences? We cannot simply throw money at them without having any idea of what that money is supposed to be buying.
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    Sandpit said:

brendan16 said:

Sandpit said:

Closed party lists are a really bad idea.

As I understand it the Tories offered all the current MEPs the opportunity to re-stand in their existing list positions (as they’re hoping to either not have the election at all, or the MEPs all to be redundant in a few months’ time).

As you say, the problem now is that, in avoiding a selection row with the candidates, they’ve left ‘EU natives’ at the top of a few lists - which is going to embolden anyone pro-Brexit in those areas to vote for Farage instead.

I seriously think we could be down to less than a handful of re-elections; no-one except Hannan, top of a list of 10, is safe.
    I agree that open lists are better - but it puzzles me how supporters of our current flawed system get so worked up about the evils of party lists, when FPTnP is effectively a party list of one for each party in your constituency, chosen by the party hierarchy in exactly the same way as a list system.

In most reasonably predictable list elections (less so this time, perhaps), a closed list election isn't so far from FPTnP as far as the voter is concerned. In most regions, for all of the smaller parties your candidate is effectively the person at the top of that party's list. For a larger party assured of getting its top or top two people elected come what may, your candidate is essentially the second or third person on the list. Once you work out who the marginal candidate is for each party, you can treat it as a standard single candidate per party election (and choose the best person or the best party as you determine), with the crucial difference that your vote is far less likely to be wasted.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,927
    ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

. ;)

Believe it or not there was a hospital in Ancient Greece used to do that as well. It was their proud boast that nobody ever died within the temple...
    The problem is when the targets become seen as scripture, and the bigger picture is lost. Happens in large companies as well as the public sector, as the senior executives live by the targets and that attitude filters down the organisation to more junior managers - usually to the exasperation of those actually doing the work on the ground.

See four-hour A&E waiting times, and 18-week cancer appointments for recent examples, where meeting some arbitrary target appeared to be more important than making sure people lived rather than died. Also school league tables, leading to a disproportionate amount of time being spent on getting D students C grades, rather than helping all students get their best results.
  • Options
    Re Affordable Housing

It seems the definition of 'affordable housing' is:

' The government's definition when it comes to renting is that affordable homes should cost no more than 80% of the average local market rent.

When it comes to home ownership, it is a little less clear-cut.

The government definition of affordable housing states it must be provided at a level at which the mortgage payments on the property should be more than would be paid in rent on council housing, but below market levels.
    '

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-38067626

Which might mean 'affordable housing' isn't affordable in areas of high property prices.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,334

IanB2 said:

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

So how do we measure the performance of the public sector if we do not set targets because they may create unintended consequences? We cannot simply throw money at them without having any idea of what that money is supposed to be buying.
    How about, we try to measure it by considering whether they're doing a good enough job to win re-election? And if not, we can vote for someone who will change it?

Admittedly, that then links to earlier posts about electoral reform in local government (also sorely needed).
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,236
    RobD said:

IanB2 said:

Breaking:

'On 12 April 2019, Farage said that there was "no difference between the Brexit party and Ukip in terms of policy, [but] in terms of personnel, there's a vast difference"'

https://tinyurl.com/yxun6ylw

'UKIP
    Moving to the far-right: 2018–present'

https://tinyurl.com/y2f5woy2
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

"Europe Elects

@EuropeElects
    8h8 hours ago

+/- vs. 2-4 Apr. '19

That's very strong support for government parties in a country in recession.
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    Sandpit said:

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

. ;)

The problem is when the targets become seen as scripture, and the bigger picture is lost. Happens in large companies as well as the public sector, as the senior executives live by the targets and that attitude filters down the organisation to more junior managers - usually to the exasperation of those actually doing the work on the ground.

See four-hour A&E waiting times, and 18-week cancer appointments for recent examples, where meeting some arbitrary target appeared to be more important than making sure people lived rather than died. Also school league tables, leading to a disproportionate amount of time being spent on getting D students C grades, rather than helping all students get their best results.
    The trouble is that there is almost always another (usually easier) way to meet the target by doing something unintended. For example school exam pass rates are supposed to encourage schools to get more pupils to pass, but they can alternatively get better percentage pass rates by discouraging marginal pupils from sitting the exams in the first place. And by seeking to exclude their worst pupils, etc.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,377
    brendan16 said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

AndyJS said:

IanB2: deciding not to fight elections immediately was one of TIGs worst decisions. When the SDP was formed in 1981, they couldn't wait to get an opportunity to contest elections from what I've read. Being a political party that doesn't want to fight elections is a contradiction in terms.

The SDP actually made the same error back in 1981 by faling to resign their seats to force by elections. Had they done so, virtually all were likely to have been re-elected and better placed to fight the 1983 election. A single late defector - Bruce Douglas -Mann - insisted on a by election at Mitcham & Morden in Spring 1982, but he fell victim to the surge of patriotism which boosted the Tory vote at the time of the Falklands conflict.
    Nah, it was a split Left-wing vote. Angela Rumbold lost a bit of vote-share for the Tories.
    Had the by election been held a few months earlier, Douglas-Mann would have won comfortably on the back of a much lower Tory vote. Just look at what had happened at the Hillhead by election at the end of March 1982 and at Crosby in late November 1981. Tory support shot up dramatically in the May/June 1982 period.

What was the Tory share pre and post the Falklands war in spring 1982. I expect that average is misleading.
    There weren't any Westminster elections in Mitcham & Morden in 1980 or 1981...
  • Options

Re Affordable Housing

' The government's definition when it comes to renting is that affordable homes should cost no more than 80% of the average local market rent.

The government definition of affordable housing states it must be provided at a level at which the mortgage payments on the property should be more than would be paid in rent on council housing, but below market levels.
    '

Which might mean 'affordable housing' isn't affordable in areas of high property prices.

And certainly not ‘affordable’ when interest rates are pretty much zero for a decade.

In London, ‘affordable’ still requires the best part of a year’s salary as a deposit for a mortgage, although I believe (possibly out of date) there are schemes that can mitigate this run by some authorities such as lease agreements and shared ownership.
  • Options
    saddosaddo Posts: 534

saddo said:

Her deal isn't leaving
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

An oldie but goodie:

Who remembers the Easter Saturday 2009 evening when the McBride story broke? :D

I think I'd just started posting to PB in early 2009 :)
  • Options
    saddo said:

saddo said:

Her deal isn't leaving
    Yawn
  • Options

AndyJS said:

"Europe Elects

@EuropeElects
    8h8 hours ago

+/- vs. 2-4 Apr. '19

The interesting matter is how the junior partner Lega has overhauled its originally larger partner.
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    The LDS will probably do very well in Remain areas. The interesting thing will be whether they also do well in the Leave areas where they're traditionally strong.
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    IanB2 said:

AndyJS said:

"Europe Elects

@EuropeElects
    8h8 hours ago

+/- vs. 2-4 Apr. '19

The interesting matter is how the junior partner Lega has overhauled its originally larger partner.
    Because Salvini’s ideas are more popular?
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679

nico67 said:

The worn out media narrative of the Leave vote.

A cry for help from left behind Communities , really if that was the case I’d have been a lot more accepting of the result .

Even though they chose to take their anger out on the wrong thing . The government really should have been the cause of their anger .

A big part of the Leave vote was due to well off Tories in the Shires , the same group who want a no deal and really have little to lose whilst fxcking everyone else .

Can you explain then why the wealthiest Tory shires of the M4 and M3 corridors voted Remain?

After all Cameron, Osborne etc are entirely representative of the wealthy Tory patrician class, and they are liberal remainers.

Or how if the Leave vote was mostly wealthy Tories, why so few went to university?

Maybe you are talking bollocks.
    Well there is also the fact that Liverpool voted remain while Chichester voted leave. And nobody who knows the local area would suggest that remain voting Brighton was wealthier than leave voting Tunbridge Wells. Or that remain voting Crawley is richer than the leave voting surroundings.

This idea that the working class is behind leave is a complete crock. It's just an age thing. Sure a lot of working class people support leave - just not the ones who are still actually doing any work.
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    AndyJS said:

The LDS will probably do very well in Remain areas.

Remain areas tend to be more atheist. :D
  • Options
    saddo said:

saddo said:

Her deal isn't leaving
    So no need to be mad we havent left. Besides, her deal is too much leaving for most of parliament. Boris and co getting erections over Churchill speeches doesnt change that.

Indeed, the whole 'her deal isn't leaving' argument has taken a fatal blow as even most who think it terrible like Boris and JRM accepted in the end that as bad as it was it was still leaving and better than nothing.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,749

saddo said:

37% actually
  • Options
    AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    edited April 2019
    The new Tory candidates where the sitting MEP is retiring or defected

East second third slot (Campbell Bannerman retiring): Joe Rich (stood in Stoke South in 2015)

North West second slot (Foster retiring): Kevin Beaty (Eden council leader)

SE third slot (Ashworth to ChUK): Richard Robinson (Euro candidate in 2004, 2009 and 2014, used to be president of Surrey Heath Conservatives Association)

SW second slot (Girling to ChUK): James Must (St Austell Cllr)

Wales top slot ( Swinburne retiring): Dan Boucher (stood in Swansea East in 2017 and South Wales West region in 2016)
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,100
    edited April 2019

nico67 said:

A cry for help from left behind Communities , really if that was the case I’d have been a lot more accepting of the result .

Even though they chose to take their anger out on the wrong thing . The government really should have been the cause of their anger .

A big part of the Leave vote was due to well off Tories in the Shires , the same group who want a no deal and really have little to lose whilst fxcking everyone else .

Can you explain then why the wealthiest Tory shires of the M4 and M3 corridors voted Remain?

After all Cameron, Osborne etc are entirely representative of the wealthy Tory patrician class, and they are liberal remainers.

Or how if the Leave vote was mostly wealthy Tories, why so few went to university?

Well there is also the fact that Liverpool voted remain while Chichester voted leave. And nobody who knows the local area would suggest that remain voting Brighton was wealthier than leave voting Tunbridge Wells. Or that remain voting Crawley is richer than the leave voting surroundings.

This idea that the working class is behind leave is a complete crock. It's just an age thing. Sure a lot of working class people support leave - just not the ones who are still actually doing any work.
    Tunbridge Wells voted Remain, Crawley voted Leave
  • Options

AndyJS said:

The LDS will probably do very well in Remain areas.

Remain areas tend to be more atheist. :D
    That depends, a lot of vibrant black churches in Remain voting London
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578
    edited April 2019
    ydoethur said:

How about, we try to measure it by considering whether they're doing a good enough job to win re-election? And if not, we can vote for someone who will change it?

Admittedly, that then links to earlier posts about electoral reform in local government (also sorely needed).

Well yes, it would be nice if this kind of thing could be judged through the ballot box, but the evidence is that people are not sufficiently motivated to get involved at that level (how many people bother to become members of their local NHS hospital trust? A very very small proportion of the electorate). Most people just want the government to ensure that services are well run and since public services cannot generally be judged in terms of profit and loss we have to use some other form of performance target. Which carries the risk of unintended consequences.
  • Options

saddo said:

37% actually
    Only 35% voted to Remain :lol:
  • Options
    valleyboyvalleyboy Posts: 605
    AndyJS said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

viewcode said:

Yesterday's somewhat downbeat anecdata quoted by Mike wasn't mirrored today, incidentally - rather positive Labour canvassing. I think the reason for the difference is that socioeconomic group does still make a difference down here in a way that it barely does in my former patch. I was canvassing a long road yesterday which allegedly has one of the highest proportions of £1M+houses in Britain (I doubt it, but it's certainly posh), and the Labour vote there is only 10%. In Broxtowe there are similarly luxurious streets where Labour is above 30% - lots of academics brandishing the Guardian and even the occasional Morning Star. Conversely, ex-council estates in Broxtowe are now hard work for Labour, with lots of Kippers, Tories and abstainers, whereas down here they're still predominantly Labour.

I have a theory that housing affordability is a key factor.

In Surrey house prices must lead to high inequality, lower social mobility and lower immigration thus keeping a solid Labour council estate vote.

Whereas the cheap housing of much of Eastern England spreads home ownership further down the socioeconomic ladder and also encourages immigration thus creating a more right-wing working class vote.

The source of the wealth for the posh houses must be different between Surrey and Broxtowe with the former being predominantly City based but a much more public sector element in Broxtowe.
    I like your theory, but you did lose me at "cheap housing of much of Eastern England" . Perhaps "far less expensive than London but still way, way more than County Durham" would be closer to the truth.
    Where is the cheapest housing in England? If I had to make a wild guess I would point to somewhere like Maryport, but I can imagine it might be say, Bury or Bradford or Stoke.
    Zoopla released the following last November, if you believe it:
    https://www.zoopla.co.uk/discover/featured-homes/top-10-most-affordable-places-to-live/
    Thanks, but again that's affordability rather than cheapness. There might be places where houses are cheaper in raw numbers but incomes are lower. That's why I guessed at Maryport where there isn't much local employment.

Of course, it may be that affordability is a more sensible measure than cash price.
    Blaenau Ffestiniog is very affordable.
    Gone a lot dearer lately. Lots of incomers from England.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Sandpit said:

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

The trouble is that there is almost always another (usually easier) way to meet the target by doing something unintended. For example school exam pass rates are supposed to encourage schools to get more pupils to pass, but they can alternatively get better percentage pass rates by discouraging marginal pupils from sitting the exams in the first place. And by seeking to exclude their worst pupils, etc.
    Indeed so. Identifying problems is always much easier than identifying solutions ;)

And on that note, good night all, may those PBers of all religions and none have a joyous Easter.
  • Options

Re Affordable Housing

'

Relatively it is, especially as wages tend to be higher in areas of high property prices as does housing benefit
  • Options
    justin124 said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

AndyJS said:

That really misses the point! Had the by election been a few months earlier , the Tories would probably fallen below 25% there - greatly to the benefit of the SDP.
    Probably?
    Had everyone wot voted Labour instead backed Douglas Mann, he would have beaten Rumbold by 0.4%!
  • Options

saddo said:

37% actually
    That's true, but to avoid this sort of mess in the future we should have a firm rule that says if people want a major constitutional change they have to get out and vote for it; the change should only be carried if an absolute majority of registered voters vote for it.

(Tbf, I think I misread BJO's post anyway!)
  • Options
    And no one is coming to help. Not even promising to implement a labour Brexit would do it since they want a referendum. I dont see how the Tories recover in the medium term.
  • Options

viewcode said:

nico67 said:

Fair point, but the explanation is that *fewer than expected* posh people voted remain, not *None*
    No, that’s not the assertion. This false narrative has been seeping in from the Remain camp that actually Leave is some Machiavellian scheme of the most well-off to screw over the poor.

The truth is precisely the opposite. The places with the greatest concentrations of wealth voted Remain.

It’s blatant. Take a look at Kent, a very leavey place. The wealthiest part is Tunbridge Wells, it’s the destination of choice for City workers for example. Just as true-blue Tory as elsewhere, yet it’s the only part of the county to vote Remain.
    Sevenoaks is also in Kent and is actually slightly wealthier than Tunbridge Wells and narrowly voted Leave
  • Options

saddo said:

37% actually
    That's true, but to avoid this sort of mess in the future we should have a firm rule that says if people want a major constitutional change they have to get out and vote for it; the change should only be carried if an absolute majority of registered voters vote for it.

D'Oh, me too :lol:
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,760

nico67 said:

Apart from anything else, the vast majority of areas were in the 60/40 or even 55/45 ranges, with even extreme areas for either side having a third going against the majority, whether Leave or Remain. The maps can be quite misleading at a macro scale.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985

saddo said:

37% actually

Given that major constitutional changes are made all the time based on general election results I don's see the issue with a simple majority. The opinion of those too lazy to vote matters naught.
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    As is the country as if we never leave the EU the prospect of Farage becoming PM cannot be dismissed
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

viewcode said:

nico67 said:

Fair point, but the explanation is that *fewer than expected* posh people voted remain, not *None*
    No, that’s not the assertion. This false narrative has been seeping in from the Remain camp that actually Leave is some Machiavellian scheme of the most well-off to screw over the poor.

The truth is precisely the opposite. The places with the greatest concentrations of wealth voted Remain.

It’s blatant. Take a look at Kent, a very leavey place. The wealthiest part is Tunbridge Wells, it’s the destination of choice for City workers for example. Just as true-blue Tory as elsewhere, yet it’s the only part of the county to vote Remain.
    Sevenoaks is also in Kent and is actually slightly wealthier than Tunbridge Wells and narrowly voted Leave
    It's wealthier but it may have slightly fewer people with higher educational qualifications.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

viewcode said:

nico67 said:

Brokenwheel can exclude Sevenoaks though because it doesn't fit with his analysis.
  • Options
    RobD said:

saddo said:

37% actually

Given that major constitutional changes are made all the time based on general election results I don's see the issue with a simple majority. The opinion of those too lazy to vote matters naught.
    Example?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

And no one is coming to help. Not even promising to implement a labour Brexit would do it since they want a referendum. I dont see how the Tories recover in the medium term.
    Labour MPs from Leave seats like Flint and Snell certainly do not want another referendum
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

As is the country as if we never leave the EU the prospect of Farage becoming PM cannot be dismissed
    Oh yes it can. He cannot get elected by FPTP in seven goes, and his gimps are even less succesful.

Leading the Euro polls at 27% does not translate to PM.
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    AndyJS said:

HYUFD said:

viewcode said:

nico67 said:

No, that’s not the assertion. This false narrative has been seeping in from the Remain camp that actually Leave is some Machiavellian scheme
    It's wealthier but it may have slightly fewer people with higher educational qualifications.
    Maybe but it is still wealthier, I do agree though that the percentage of graduates in am area is a better guide to whether it voted Remain or Leave than average wealth, the same was true in the US in determining whether a state was likely to have voted for Hillary or Trump
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

Labour MPs from Leave seats like Flint and Snell certainly do not want another referendum
    Theres not enough of them to matter. Are there enough labour votes to see a Brexit achieved? Plainly, the answer is no or wed not have delayed.
  • Options

RobD said:

saddo said:

37% actually

Example?
    Every constitutional change before this one?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Farage is 36 on Betfair to be next PM.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Oh yes it can. He cannot get elected by FPTP in seven goes, and his gimps are even less succesful.

It's extremely unlikely but sensible people should be alert to the possibility and do all they can to prevent it.
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    HYUFD said:

nico67 said:

:D

Quite.

As for Liverpool, it’s an exception that proves the rule. Why did no areas outside Merseyside with similar demographics vote Remain?
  • Options
    edited April 2019

saddo said:

37% actually

In 1975 43.6% of the electorate voted in favour of joining the EEC.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1975_United_Kingdom_European_Communities_membership_referendum
  • Options
    AmpfieldAndyAmpfieldAndy Posts: 1,445
    May has been an unmitigated disaster for the Tories. The parliamentary party simply have to do whatever it takes to get rid of her. She has no policies except Brexit which is a sell out. What on earth were those MPs who voted that they had confidence in her leadership at the beginning of the year thinking when they cast their votes. Small wonder the party faces electoral oblivion if she stays.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,195
    RobD said:

RobD said:

saddo said:

37% actually

Example?
    1972 being the obvious example!
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Never in a thousand years
  • Options

HYUFD said:

nico67 said:

Quite.

As for Liverpool, it’s an exception that proves the rule. Why did no areas outside Merseyside with similar demographics vote Remain?
    Leicester voted Remain.
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    RobD said:

RobD said:

saddo said:

37% actually

Example?
    You said that "that major constitutional changes are made all the time". Which ones did parliament make last year? Or the year before?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

Theres not enough of them to matter. Are there enough labour votes to see a Brexit achieved? Plainly, the answer is no or wed not have delayed.
    There are enough of them to see a fracture in labour
  • Options

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

A small fracture. At best. The Tories are unable to achieve Brexit and that will ruin them for some time.
  • Options
    edited April 2019

RobD said:

RobD said:

saddo said:

37% actually

Example?
    You said that "that major constitutional changes are made all the time". Which ones did parliament make last year? Or the year before?
    No, what i said was "major constitutional changes are made all the time based on general election results". How is this in dispute? Or are you arguing that the constitution hasn't changed since the advent of democracy?
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,195
    Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

nico67 said:

Quite.

Leicester voted Remain.
    I'm not sure Leicester's demographics are all that similar to those of Liverpool.
  • Options

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

A splinter in Labour - there's a dirty great tectonic rift in the Tories.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

A small fracture. At best. The Tories are unable to achieve Brexit and that will ruin them for some time.
    I think you are underestimating the problems for labour but TM days look very numbered
  • Options
    Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Not unless the Conservative Party collapses. If it does, the Brexit Party would likely replace it. I don't the Conservatives will collapse, however.
  • Options
    edited April 2019

RobD said:

RobD said:

saddo said:

37% actually

Example?
    Why does all the time mean in recent years to you? Can someone not take a broader historical view? 10 changes in 100 years would be all the time for such purposes. And what level of constitutional change qualifies?

I think you are unconvincingly splitting hairs. I know what that looks like from my mirror.
  • Options

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

A splinter in Labour - there's a dirty great tectonic rift in the Tories.
    I agree on that Ben but no one will escape damage in this
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    AndyJS said:

saddo said:

37% actually

In 1975 43.6% of the electorate voted in favour of joining the EEC.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1975_United_Kingdom_European_Communities_membership_referendum
    That's incorrect. The UK joined the EEC in 1973 without a referendum. The 1975 vote took place as part of a wheeze by Harold Wilson to deal with his split parliamentary party.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

saddo said:

37% actually

Example?
    Why does all the time mean in recent years to you? Can someone not take a broader historical view? 10 changes in 100 years would be all the time for such purposes. And what level of constitutional change qualifies?

I think you are unconvincingly splitting hairs. I know what that looks like from my mirror.
    I'm still bitter over the 1999 HoL Act. :p
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

saddo said:

37% actually

Example?
    No, what i said was "major constitutional changes are made all the time based on general election results". How is this in dispute? Or are you arguing that the constitution hasn't changed since the advent of democracy?
    It's "all the time" I am struggling with.

Sure, I can think of examples from 100 years ago but parliament is not making constitutional change all the time.
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    HYUFD said:

AndyJS said:

HYUFD said:

viewcode said:

nico67 said:

No, that’s not the assertion. This false narrative has been seeping in from the Remain camp that actually Leave is some Machiavellian scheme
    Maybe but it is still wealthier, I do agree though that the percentage of graduates in am area is a better guide to whether it voted Remain or Leave than average wealth, the same was true in the US in determining whether a state was likely to have voted for Hillary or Trump
    Yes I think the best indicators at the EU referendum were qualifications, age and ethnicity. Wealth was not as important as those three. Epping Forest for instance is pretty wealthy but voted Leave by a convincing margin. There was also a Merseyside effect where Liverpool and the surrounding areas were more Remain than you'd expect from demographics.
  • Options
    edited April 2019

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

I think you are underestimating the problems for labour but TM days look very numbered
    I think labour have problems, but they can be managed to some extent and politics is an adversarial game, they can get by if the Tories do worse. The problems for the Tories are unresolvable. Even trying a new leader and 180 in policy just opens up different faultlines
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

saddo said:

37% actually

Example?
    It's "all the time" I am struggling with. Sure, I can think of examples from 100 years ago but parlaiment is not making constitutional change all the time.
    All occurrences of the constitution being changed were made based on general election results that didn't require an absolute majority of electors. Not sure how else to express this concept.
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Electoral Calculus gives UKIP (or the Brexit Party in this case) 290 seats if Farage repeats his Yougov European elections polling at a general election and Labour gets 22% and the Tories 15%. Add in the 10 for the DUP and that produces 300 seats, just needs 10 or 20 more and Farage certainly would be PM

https://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/cgi-bin/usercode.py?CON=15&LAB=22&LIB=9&UKIP=27&Green=7&NewLAB=&TVCON=&TVLAB=&TVLIB=&TVUKIP=&TVGreen=&SCOTCON=&SCOTLAB=&SCOTLIB=&SCOTUKIP=&SCOTGreen=&SCOTNAT=&display=AllChanged&regorseat=(none)&boundary=2017
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

AndyJS said:

That really misses the point! Had the by election been a few months earlier , the Tories would probably fallen below 25% there - greatly to the benefit of the SDP.
    Probably?
    Had everyone wot voted Labour instead backed Douglas Mann, he would have beaten Rumbold by 0.4%!
    Really? The actual result of the by election was:

Rumbold -Con - 13,306 (43.4%)
    Mann - SDP - 9,032 (29..4%)
    Nicholas -Lab - 7,475 (24.4%)
  • Options
    And in other news France and Macron look in serious trouble
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

saddo said:

37% actually

Example?
    Dont tell that to the changes to the house of lords or judicial functions of the house of lords.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

AndyJS said:

Probably?

What's 10% between friends?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Electoral Calculus gives UKIP (or the Brexit Party in this case) 290 seats if Farage repeats his Yougov European elections polling at a general election and Labour gets 22% and the Tories 15%. Add in the 10 for the DUP and that produces 300 seats, just needs 10 or 20 more and Farage certainly would be PM

https://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/cgi-bin/usercode.py?CON=15&LAB=22&LIB=9&UKIP=27&Green=7&NewLAB=&TVCON=&TVLAB=&TVLIB=&TVUKIP=&TVGreen=&SCOTCON=&SCOTLAB=&SCOTLIB=&SCOTUKIP=&SCOTGreen=&SCOTNAT=&display=AllChanged&regorseat=(none)&boundary=2017
    What are you on
  • Options
    edited April 2019

When large numbers of lower middle-class people from medium-sized towns keep rioting weekend after weekend, you know something is seriously wrong.
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

saddo said:

37% actually

Example?
    It's "all the time" I am struggling with.

Sure, I can think of examples from 100 years ago but parliament is not making constitutional change all the time.
    Sure it is. Every government makes new law and plenty of that will have constitutional significance.
  • Options
    If no constitutional change were to take place without 50% of the electorate voting in favour, no constitutional change would take place.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

What are you on
    PB is one hell of a drug. :p
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

Farage is 36 on Betfair to be next PM.
    Good value at the moment
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

When large numbers of lower middle-class people from medium-sized towns keep rioting weekend after weekend, you know something is seriously wrong.
    The wealthy donating to Notre Dame has had a very negative effect on the attitude of those rioting
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

If no constitutional change were to take place without 50% of the electorate voting in favour, no constitutional change would take place.

I thought the 1997 Scottish referendum might have got 50% but in fact it was only 45%: 74% on a 60% turnout.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1997_Scottish_devolution_referendum
  • Options
    justin124 said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

AndyJS said:

Probably?

He would have won by 10.4% - typo :)
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Constitutional change it possibly one area where the US approach is better.
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    AndyJS said:

HYUFD said:

AndyJS said:

HYUFD said:

viewcode said:

nico67 said:

Yes I think the best indicators at the EU referendum were qualifications, age and ethnicity. Wealth was not as important as those three. Epping Forest for instance is pretty wealthy but voted Leave by a convincing margin. There was also a Merseyside effect where Liverpool and the surrounding areas were more Remain than you'd expect from demographics.
    As a resident of Epping Forest agreed (though Epping voted Leave by a smaller margin than poorer parts of Essex like Harlow, Clacton and Basildon)
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

AndyJS said:

Probably?

What's 10% between friends?
    Douglas Mann would have won by 10.4% - typo :)
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

viewcode said:

nico67 said:

Are you talking about the whole borough though? I would be really surprised if that’s true any more.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,883

Slightly hyperbolic in all honesty. They've arrested 100 in Paris - we've arrested 800 in the Extinction Rebellion protests. Yes, it's all very dramatic but they don't know the 99% of Paris which had a normal Saturday.

I'm not sure claiming France is "in serious trouble" after a round of the usual French public disorder is correct - it's France, it's how it works there.
This discussion has been closed.