Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Plunging opinion polls are not the Conservatives’ biggest prob

123457»

Comments

• Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,685
    Ishmael_Z said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Ishmael_Z said:

I am happy to listen to climate change bores and activists provided they can confirm that they walk or bicycle to work (having, if necessary, moved house to do so) and that they do not heat their houses at all in winter beyond one afternoon a week to prevent damage to the fabric of the building - you can survive a British winter by piling on the sustainable pullovers.

It is the same with homeopaths - I have huge respect for them and their views, provided they can confirm that they have undergone surgery under homeopathic anaesthetic.

That's just silly. Individuals can only do a certain amount to tackle Climate Change, e.g solar panels, it's governments that can make real differences by the decisions they make.
    This government has removed the solar feed in tariff and cancelled the tidal power project.
    Governments can only tell individuals what to do. If you can't walk the walk, don't talk the talk.

Been on any nice overseas holidays recently?
    Another silly answer.
    Go build yourself a gas fired power station
    Nothing clever or funny about hypocrisy.
    What has that got to do with anything?
    It seems obvious to me that building power stations, sticking solar panels on government buildings and creating incentives for people to save energy is something that only governments can do.
    Do you have a non-sarcastic answer?
    As a well-heeled Westerner you can make a more-than-token difference by personal choices and the great thing is you can make the difference here and now, you don't have to lobby yourself in the hope that you will pass some watered down half assed legislation in ten years time. So if you want to sound off on the subject you can very legitimately be asked what you personally are doing about it.

Edit: I assume you are not serious about having to ask what overseas holidays have to do with anything? You do know that aeroplanes run on fossil fuel?
    I can heartily recommend the Isle of Wight. :)
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

ydoethur said:

When has that ever stopped anyone on here? :smile:

Edit - BTW, I never knew you were one of the Knights Who Like To Say Ni.

:-)

Well, quite, but I do not wish to contribute to falling standards.

My phrase to unsettle people is not 'Ni' it is 'fallopian tubes'.

When I sneak up on someone and whisper that in their ear, they run a mile.
    They think it's all ova.
    Is that all you've zygote?
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,287
    Foxy said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Ishmael_Z said:

I am happy to listen to climate change bores and activists provided they can confirm that they walk or bicycle to work (having, if necessary, moved house to do so) and that they do not heat their houses at all in winter beyond one afternoon a week to prevent damage to the fabric of the building - you can survive a British winter by piling on the sustainable pullovers.

It is the same with homeopaths - I have huge respect for them and their views, provided they can confirm that they have undergone surgery under homeopathic anaesthetic.

That's just silly. Individuals can only do a certain amount to tackle Climate Change, e.g solar panels, it's governments that can make real differences by the decisions they make.
    This government has removed the solar feed in tariff and cancelled the tidal power project.
    Governments can only tell individuals what to do. If you can't walk the walk, don't talk the talk.

Another silly answer.
    It seems obvious to me that building power stations, sticking solar panels on government buildings and creating incentives for people to save energy is something that only governments can do.
    As a well-heeled Westerner you can make a more-than-token difference by personal choices and the great thing is you can make the difference here and now, you don't have to lobby yourself in the hope that you will pass some watered down half assed legislation in ten years time. So if you want to sound off on the subject you can very legitimately be asked what you personally are doing about it.

Edit: I assume you are not serious about having to ask what overseas holidays have to do with anything? You do know that aeroplanes run on fossil fuel?
    I can heartily recommend the Isle of Wight. :)
    There's a fair amount of fossil fuel used in going to the Isle of Wight as well.

Hence the joke, 'what's black, steamy and comes out of Cowes backwards?' Answer - the Isle of Wight Ferry.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

ydoethur said:

They think it's all ova.
    No, but if that's the best you can manage we should bring this contest to a period.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,703

Delicious:

97. When it comes to valuation of Mr Campbell's distress, I do not accept that he can hold others to a higher standard of respect than he is willing himself to adopt. He has chosen insult and condemnation as his style. He has received these in return......I do not accept that he can dismiss the feelings or reputations of his opponents cheaply, but receive a high valuation of his own.

98. Had I been awarding damages, those damages would have been assessed at £100.

Campbell had claimed £25,000.

Costs to be agreed - DavidL - in the event of a failure of an action Campbell will have to pay Dugdale's costs?

https://wingsoverscotland.com/wp-content/EDI-A409-17.pdf

Funnily enough, these excerpts do not appear in the Vicar of Bath's 'edited highlights' - but he does make the Sheriff's point:

because she’s an idiot who doesn’t know what words mean, she’s allowed to, so we lose.

https://wingsoverscotland.com/the-severed-baby/
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,721
    Ishmael_Z said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Another silly answer.

I was asking what "Nothing clever or funny about hypocrisy." had to do with anything I said. Your proclivity to deliberately misrepresent people is rather unfortunate.
    Of course we can all make decisions about what we do, but only governments can make the big decisions and that's what will make the difference. They can also 'nudge' individual choices by for example the solar feed in tariff or electric car incentives.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,226

Mr. Kinabalu, you don't want to be one of those posters with a ridiculous post count due to writing a load of nonsense.

Too late, I fear. There's been 2000, that's one for every year since Jesus was a twinkle in his Father's (i.e. God's) eye. How can that possibly be justified? Answer, it can't.
  • Options
    TrèsDifficileTrèsDifficile Posts: 1,729
    What are the twats superglued together going to do when one of them needs a shit?

• Options
    ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

ydoethur said:

They think it's all ova.
    No, but if that's the best you can manage we should bring this contest to a period.
    Abort the pun? never!
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    This is now a fossil thread
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    You know, these European Parliament election thingys are fun. Can we keep them after we leave?
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,987
    Dr. Foxy, quite right. Mr. Doethur is clearly ovary-acting.
  • Options
    And another England batsman does what England batsmen do best...

Nine of this side have played for England, and of the other two one played for years for South Africa and took 309 test wickets and 188 ODI wickets.

Of the Gloucestershire side, one has played for, er, South Australia.

This is just incredible. At the halfway stage I expected it to be done within 20 overs, but not quite like this!
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419

ydoethur said:

If you are a Surrey supporter, DO NOT look at the scorecard from Bristol, or you will die of terminal embarrassment.

All those England batsman doing that they do best...
    Nice little 150 from Ballance today for Yorkshire, who are cruising towards a win over Leics today though (famous last words).
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    kle4 said:

The SW looks a mess.

If CHUK get nothing what is their purpose outside of Westminster and this parliament Specifically?
    No SW seat for Labour?
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143

kle4 said:

The SW looks a mess.

If CHUK get nothing what is their purpose outside of Westminster and this parliament Specifically?
    No SW seat for Labour?
    There's a reduction in the Labour vote, they fall behind the Greens and the Lib Dems it looks like.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,308
    ydoethur said:
    For those interested this is the actual judgment: http://www.scotcourts.gov.uk/docs/default-source/cos-general-docs/pdf-docs-for-opinions/2019scedin32.pdf?sfvrsn=0

It is actually a rather good piece of prose, measured, clear and careful. It is worth a bit of time for those who have it.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,101

PeterC said:

I deplore government by referendum, but circumstances may leave us with no choice but to accept another wretched plebiscite. Should the question be resolved in favour of REMAIN far thinking conservatives (who have always excelled at adapt and survive) need to think about how the conservative party might reinvent itself as a pro-European party.

Thus cementing the party's final slide into oblivion. I am afraid this kind of thinking is 'wrong sort of voter' territory.
    Not really. There is a big gap in the market for a centre-right pro-business pro-competition smaller-state Remain-but-not-federalise fiscally-prudent political party. Indeed, shorn of the Eurosceptic nutcases, it might be quite popular.
    There's probably a 10% gap in the market for such a party.

Where does that get you under FPTP ?
    Nah, it's at least a 15% base, minimum, plus plenty more centrists depending on circumstances (which are quite favourable right now). But frankly, if all it does is keep the Brexit-UKIP-ERG rump out of power, that alone would be worthwhile.

In any case, a system with at six or seven GB parties polling 5%+ would make FPTP unsustainable and would probably result in PR following one or two more hung parliaments.
    Don't be silly DH.

Such a party would be similar to the FDP in Germany but with the loss of Leaver voters.

There really isn't much of a market for a small state pro business party outside of a few rich enclaves.

The Conservatives, please note, are not such a party.
This discussion has been closed.