Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » As we wait for the Newport result an interesting chart on the

Comments

• Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,101

I don't really get the Buttigieg thing - he's pleasant enough, but basically a harmless centrist who does least well against Trump of all the candidates:

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/latest_polls/

Biden still doing much the best, though I'd prefer Sanders myself.

Biden, Sanders and Trump are all younger than you Nick.

That must make you feel young again.

Or maybe middle aged again :wink:
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    MPs complaining about simply doing their job is ridiculous. This is what they're paid to do.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527

I don't really get the Buttigieg thing - he's pleasant enough, but basically a harmless centrist who does least well against Trump of all the candidates:

I believe they are older!
  • Options

I think if the Democrat candidate is older than Trump he or she will stand a good chance. If they're younger they won't.
  • Options
    TheJezziahTheJezziah Posts: 3,840

https://jacobinmag.com/2019/04/pete-buttigieg-president-democratic-primary
    Good read.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151

I don't think he's yet well known enough to give you reliable polling against Trump. That polling order almost exactly coincides with name recognition, with the exception that Kamala Harris seems to be overperforming a touch and Elizabeth Warren underperforming.
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786
    The lack of rumours leads me to believe this is a fairly safe hold 40 percent to 30 percent
  • Options
    edited April 2019

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

kle4 said:

Telegraph: "Grassroots Conservative activists are "quitting in their droves", it has been claimed, as new polling shows that more than 90 per cent disagree with Theresa May's decision to open talks with Jeremy Corbyn."

I'm lost now.

I thought Blue Momentum was trying to get extra people to join to vote for Boris?

I'm lost because I don't know what these activists expected given they can presumably count and can see that the PM doesn't have the numbers to even no deal, given workarounds are being made there. Do they think she opened talks with Corbyn lightly?

At least see if it goes anywhere first, see what the cost is. Because simply being open to working with others, even opponents, is not wrong. Particularly when you lack a majority.
    They expect MPs to dump this crap PM.
    To be replaced by whom in order to achieve what ?
    To be better. Don’t be so binary. A sandwich with one turd in it is better than one with two.
    That's still not telling us how it would be better and how that would be achieved.
    Are you seriously telling me that a new leader couldn’t raise morale and enchance party unity ?

There are lots of ways forward better than Mays. Virtually any approach is.
    As there are 'lots of ways forward better than Mays' perhaps you could list a few.
    A few off the top of my head, could be done individually or in combination, coming from all sort of backs - though some are contradictory with others.
    1: Take actions necessary to prepare for and enact No Deal if necessary [should have been done from start]
    2: Have a General Election led by someone with more charisma than a zombie.
    3: Have a PM with more charisma than a zombie.
    4: Be prepared to propose and back an extension and a referendum.
    5: Be prepared to propose and back an extension and a General Election to break the deadlock.
    6: Be prepared to sack Chris Grayling*

* Doesn't solve Brexit but still worth doing.
    Theresa May has similar levels of charisma to John Major, and in 1992 the public actually liked him because of it, but unfortunately developments since then like reality TV and the fetish for "emoting in public" meant that by 2017 most people under the age of 50 didn't appreciate Mrs May's lack of it.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,101
    justin124 said:

Correct.

I meant older not younger.

Time for some sleep.
  • Options
    MJWMJW Posts: 1,356

He's a very clever and charming bloke, which may not be enough nationally. In fact, it almost certainly isn't. But it's very much enough to build a devoted following in a primary. "Harmless centrist" betrays your own thinking, he's in many ways the substance people wish Beto had. And God deliver us all from the ludicrous vacuous bilge of Sanders.

Now, my gut would tell me he'd do badly in a presidential election, but polls against Trump are meaningless except for established candidates (Biden, Warren, Sanders). He'll do well in the early primary stages, which is what he wants, before deferring, joining a bigger campaign, hope for a big job and look to run again having broken a few barriers. A good trading bet.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    AndyJS said:

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

kle4 said:

Telegraph: "Grassroots Conservative activists are "quitting in their droves", it has been claimed, as new polling shows that more than 90 per cent disagree with Theresa May's decision to open talks with Jeremy Corbyn."

I'm lost now.

I thought Blue Momentum was trying to get extra people to join to vote for Boris?

I'm lost because I don't know what these activists expected given they can presumably count and can see that the PM doesn't have the numbers to even no deal, given workarounds are being made there. Do they think she opened talks with Corbyn lightly?

At least see if it goes anywhere first, see what the cost is. Because simply being open to working with others, even opponents, is not wrong. Particularly when you lack a majority.
    To be better. Don’t be so binary. A sandwich with one turd in it is better than one with two.
    That's still not telling us how it would be better and how that would be achieved.
    Are you seriously telling me that a new leader couldn’t raise morale and enchance party unity ?

As there are 'lots of ways forward better than Mays' perhaps you could list a few.
    A few off the top of my head, could be done individually or in combination, coming from all sort of backs - though some are contradictory with others.
    1: Take actions necessary to prepare for and enact No Deal if necessary [should have been done from start]
    5: Be prepared to propose and back an extension and a General Election to break the deadlock.

Theresa May has similar levels of charisma to John Major, and in 1992 the public actually liked him because of it, but unfortunately developments since then like reality TV and the fetish for "emoting in public" meant that by 2017 most people under the age of 50 didn't appreciate Mrs May's lack of it as they did in 92 for Major.
    She is far more socially awkward than John Major ever was. Major was seen as a breath of fresh air in 1992 after Thatcher.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,873
    Plaid say they are 4th
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    AndyJS said:

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

kle4 said:

I'm lost now.

Theresa May has similar levels of charisma to John Major, and in 1992 the public actually liked him because of it, but unfortunately developments since then like reality TV and the fetish for "emoting in public" meant that by 2017 most people under the age of 50 didn't appreciate Mrs May's lack of it as they did in 92 for Major.
    I think that's unfair on John Major. In 1992 Major got on his soapbox in a way May well and truly did not in 2017.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,344
    edited April 2019
    justin124 said:

Indeed. I'm standing for the council for the first time in my life.

Each youngster has a different idea of fun. Actually potentially meeting every voter over a few years...
  • Options
    marke09marke09 Posts: 926

Siôn Jenkins
    @Sion_J
    39s40 seconds ago

They may just be playing it down, but the Tories don’t sound all that confident. Some of them admitting this week’s events in Westminster have not helped their cause at all. #NewportWest
  • Options
    marke09 said:

Siôn Jenkins
    @Sion_J
    39s40 seconds ago

They may just be playing it down, but the Tories don’t sound all that confident. Some of them admitting this week’s events in Westminster have not helped their cause at all. #NewportWest

I may have just made a bad bet. Glad its just a tenner for charity.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,028
    AndyJS said:

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

kle4 said:

I'm lost now.

r than Mays. Virtually any approach is.
    d better than Mays' perhaps you could list a few.

Theresa May has similar levels of charisma to John Major, and in 1992 the public actually liked him because of it, but unfortunately developments since then like reality TV and the fetish for "emoting in public" meant that by 2017 most people under the age of 50 didn't appreciate Mrs May's lack of it.
    Having seen both May and Major in person, Major is actually quite charismatic one to one, May rather less so. I would say May is the brighter of the two though. In 2017 May also got the highest Tory voteshare since Major in 1992.

• Options

marke09 said:

Siôn Jenkins
    @Sion_J
    39s40 seconds ago

I am confident my Charity would be Ashgate Hospice what is yours.
  • Options
    marke09 said:

Siôn Jenkins
    @Sion_J
    39s40 seconds ago

I suspect earlier confidence was the postals, we are now seeing the votes on the day.

• Options

Plaid say they are 4th

Well looks like Wales will stay with England then whatever happens with Scotland and NI
  • Options
    Neil Hamilton not confident - playing down chances and says Tory vote did not collapse as hoped
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    edited April 2019
    brendan16 said:

marke09 said:

@DeansOfCardiff
    17s
    18 seconds ago
    More

Candidate agents being summoned to discuss spoiled ballots #NewportWest

Shame we won't get to see the comments written on those spoilt ballots!
    The agents do.

I was a bit disappointed when I was an agent for a couple of local elections that no-one seemed animated enough by the contests to spoil their ballots in a memorable way.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,826

Neil Hamilton not confident - playing down chances and says Tory vote did not collapse as hoped

Is Neil Hamilton ill? He looks shocking...
  • Options

Oooh could be paying a £10 to It's charity yet.
  • Options
    Counting is over
  • Options

Ian Craig
    @ArgusICraig
    5m5 minutes ago

General mood around the place is this is Labour's, and possibly by a decent margin #NewportWest
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Plaid say they are 4th

Well looks like Wales will stay with England then whatever happens with Scotland and NI
    This part of Wales is terrible for the idea of independence, low Welsh speaking levels and just not generally good hunting ground for Plaid. Places like Newport would be like the bigger cities in Brexit with strong remain/stay votes.
  • Options
    God I hope I lose a tenner. Hamilton is a racist
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,009
    nico67 said:

isam said:
    The UK would have a veto on an EU army if it was still in , the same veto it would also have on Turkey joining .
    The British are going to be involved in the EUMS whether brexit happens or not as the alternative is to spend (a lot) more on defence. It will probably settle on something like the French involvement in NATO: "inserted but not integrated".
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    edited April 2019
    HYUFD said:

Plaid say they are 4th

Fourth would be good for Plaid here, seeing off alternatives in a weak area for them.
  • Options
    Result imminent apparently
  • Options

What did he say?
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

What did he say?
    On about Soros money

Also saying a lot of people think like Tommy R
  • Options

marke09 said:

Siôn Jenkins
    @Sion_J
    39s40 seconds ago

I am confident my Charity would be Ashgate Hospice what is yours.
    Baby Beat Appeal.
  • Options
    MJWMJW Posts: 1,356

HYUFD said:

Plaid say they are 4th

This part of Wales is terrible for the idea of independence, low Welsh speaking levels and just not generally good hunting ground for Plaid. Places like Newport would be like the bigger cities in Brexit with strong remain/stay votes.
    For once I agree with you. The idea Newport is Plaid country is absurd.
  • Options
    Did any PBers bet on the Dunfermline by-election, when the odds still favoured the losing candidate about 30 seconds before the announcement?
  • Options

Doubt he believes any of that bullshit he said about Yaxley-Lennon. He'a the ultimate chancer...
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    Ld candidate not even there! He had a long standing committment! At 1.10am
  • Options
    KentRisingKentRising Posts: 2,850
    Andrew Neil on the Lib Dems - genuine lol!!!!!
  • Options
    The LD's "local candidate" isn't at the count.
  • Options

Ld candidate not even there!

On a people's vote March!!
  • Options
    What kind of candidate has a 'long-standing commitment' at 1:10 on his by-election night?
  • Options

What kind of candidate has a 'long-standing commitment' at 1:10 on his by-election night?

The mind boggles.
  • Options
    Guessing there's a big delay streaming This Week on iPlayer.
  • Options

Can't stop laughing. Think I've had enough.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Assange just about to be kicked out of embassy according to Sky
  • Options
    Floater said:

He's been abusing their hospitality a long time now.
  • Options

Lucky man/lady/sheep ;)

• Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Andrew Neil about Labour policy on Brexit - lol
  • Options

Maybe he's holding a Skype meeting with someone in Australia.
  • Options
    Neil offering a fake sneer to Plaid - "if you double your vote it'll be 4%" - er, no, it'll be over 5%. Time he retired. Mind you, the Plaid speaker didn't seem to know either.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,010
    MJW said:

he's in many ways the substance people wish Beto had.
    Spot on
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Maybe he's holding a Skype meeting with someone in Australia.
    Oh is that what it's called?
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,842
    AndyJS said:

MPs complaining about simply doing their job is ridiculous. This is what they're paid to do.
    I sympathise with them on one level: they are human and if they are distressed that is not a good thing

But they earn £77Kpa, they get an allowance for travel and accommodation, they get further funding to run an office and staff, and they work a four-day week on average.

So they do have the facilities and money to cope with the stress. So my sympathy, although sincere, is limited.
  • Options
    Floater said:

What a shame. Poor old Julian, eh?
  • Options

Ld candidate not even there! He had a long standing committment! At 1.10am

Yet another Lib-Dem lost deposit? :D
  • Options
    viewcode said:

AndyJS said:

I sympathise with them on one level: they are human and if they are distressed that is not a good thing

But they earn £77Kpa, they get an allowance for travel and accommodation, they get further funding to run an office and staff, and they work a four-day week on average.

So they do have the facilities and money to cope with the stress. So my sympathy, although sincere, is limited.
    £77k for a Part Time job is very reasonable indeed.
  • Options

Say you have a failing backup cron and you're also running in a by-election, you'd want to concentrate on the by-election until the voting was done, then get on fixing that backup before you do anything else.
  • Options
    Live link to LD candidate at local Cineworld
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,842

viewcode said:

AndyJS said:

£77k for a Part Time job is very reasonable indeed.
    Indeed.
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    Re: the LD, infamously the LD by-election literature had a typo with the wrong election date....
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    rcs1000 said:

Floater said:

Has there been a change of government in Ecuador? Just wondering what might account for this change of policy.
  • Options

Re: the LD, infamously the LD by-election literature had a typo with the wrong election date....

Winning Here
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    AndyJS said:

Has there been a change of government in Ecuador? Just wondering what might account for this change of policy.

Turns out suing the country that's sheltering you isn't a good idea :-)

• Options
    viewcode said:

AndyJS said:

Have you ever met an MP? I've never met one who worked less than 6 days a week, and the 7th tends to get eaten oo.
  • Options
    brendan16brendan16 Posts: 2,315

Neil offering a fake sneer to Plaid - "if you double your vote it'll be 4%" - er, no, it'll be over 5%. Time he retired. Mind you, the Plaid speaker didn't seem to know either.

No - it will actually be under 5%. 4.96% to be exact.

Sorry to be pedantic!

Here we go....
  • Options

Say you have a failing backup cron and you're also running in a by-election, you'd want to concentrate on the by-election until the voting was done, then get on fixing that backup before you do anything else.
    What's a backup?
  • Options
    My radio is playing backwards
  • Options

My radio is playing backwards

Oh no it's Welsh
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,080
    AndyJS said:

rcs1000 said:

Floater said:

Mueller?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,972
    rcs1000 said:

What's a backup?
    It's what we say about PB when you've fixed it.
  • Options
    Labour HOLD Newport West. Ruth Jones new MP.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

rcs1000 said:

Floater said:

Yes and tensions have been rising for a while.

https://eu.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2019/04/03/ecuador-says-julian-assange-violated-asylum-terms-london-embassy/3350973002/
  • Options
    Never heard a returning officer read out the list of candidates before the votes before.
  • Options
    LAB 9308
    CON 7357
    UKIP 2023
  • Options

LAB 9308
    CON 7357
    UKIP 2023

Congrats PT you were right

PM me details of you charity
  • Options
    A swing to the Tories surely?
  • Options
    swing to conservatives of a minimal amount
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    Here are the results - a Labour majority of nearly 2,000 - if I heard it right.

Labour 9,308
    Con 7,357
    UKIP 2,023
    Plaid 1,185
    Ld 1,088
    Green 924
    Renew 879
    SDP 202
    For Britain 159
    Abolish Welsh Assembly 205
    Democrats and Vets 185

• Options
    LAB: 39.6% (-12.7)
    CON: 31.3% (-8.0)
    UKIP: 8.6% (+6.1)
    PC: 5.0% (+2.6)
    LDEM: 4.6% (+2.4)
    GRN: 3.9% (+2.8)
    RNW: 3.7% (+3.7)
    ATWA: 0.9% (+0.9)
    SDP: 0.9% (+0.9)
    D&V: 0.8% (+0.8)
    FBM: 0.7% (+0.7)

Labour HOLD.
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    edited April 2019
    Maj 5658 down to 1951 (+13% down to +8.3%), on a way lower turnout.
  • Options
    Bob__SykesBob__Sykes Posts: 1,176
    edited April 2019

Hardly a shabby result for the Tories given the current turmoil.
  • Options
    edited April 2019

HYUFD said:

Plaid say they are 4th

Except Newport voted Leave just as Wales voted Leave.

Still a pretty awful result for Plaid to come behind UKIP even if they were unlikely to win
  • Options
    edited April 2019

viewcode said:

AndyJS said:

Have you ever met an MP? I've never met one who worked less than 6 days a week, and the 7th tends to get eaten oo.
    The complaints sound similar to those about footballers.

Even if you think they don't deserve a break or they earn enough to go without one it makes sense to make sure they are rested (mentally and physically) if you want them to give you their peak performance.
  • Options
    GazGaz Posts: 45
    AndyJS said:

Did any PBers bet on the Dunfermline by-election, when the odds still favoured the losing candidate about 30 seconds before the announcement?

Yes! Made a lot of money on that. The odds went silly before the boxes had been emptied to begin the initial confirmation count.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,289
    Thought Con vote was meant to be plummeting following this week's events with everyone cutting up membership cards?

As ever, political anoraks on PB are not very representative.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,972

swing to conservatives of a minimal amount

:o
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    Newport West is definitely trending to the Tories over the long term, which isn't surprising given it's very white, older than average, non-trendy, lower middle-class, etc.
  • Options
    marke09 said:

Labour HOLD.

2.3% swing Lab to Con
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,080
    edited April 2019
    UKIP, the Lib Dems, Plaid and the Greens all put on raw votes versus 2017.
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,882
    edited April 2019
    You could get 4/5 on the Tories finishing 2nd last night. Free money in retrospect.
  • Options
    "Renew" wasted their money? :D
  • Options
    LAB-CON swing 2.4%
  • Options
    Apparently Julian Assange is about to be expelled from the Ecuadorian embassy in the next few hours or days according to Wikileaks. Will he be arrested by the Met and extradited.

https://news.sky.com/story/wikileaks-julian-assange-to-be-expelled-within-hours-to-days-11684549
  • Options

LAB 9308
    CON 7357
    UKIP 2023

Congrats PT you were right

PM me details of you charity
    Done.
  • Options
    Not a bad acceptance speech as these things go. Result a bit meh all round.

Incidentally, the Guardian vox pop report on the by-election seems to have been a classic of "find some people to make a story" - the article made it sound as though Renew was having a huge surge, whereas they actually lost their deposit. I suspect the journalist interviewed a lot of people and picked out the ones who fitted the story.
  • Options

marke09 said:

Labour HOLD.

2.3% swing Lab to Con
    UKIP biggest gainers tonight on voteshare, Labour and the Tories down, a warning to both to deliver Brexit Deal or No Deal if they are to avoid being hit in Leave areas
  • Options
    marke09 said:

Labour HOLD.

Kind of amazing to hear the dog not barking.

This is totally what you'd expect for by-election in a seat held by an opposition party with a meh leader, up against a mid-term government that also has a meh leader. Normal vote share changes, normal turnout. No sign of anger, disillusionment, excitement or any other opinion about Brexit, a cabinet at war with itself, a leader who had totally lost her grip, a parliament in chaos.
This discussion has been closed.