Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » As we wait for the Newport result an interesting chart on the

Comments

• Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

rcs1000 said:

nico67 said:

isam said:
    The UK would have a veto on an EU army if it was still in , the same veto it would also have on Turkey joining .
    The same veto we had on a Single Currency forming?
    We did have a veto. We just chose not to use it.
    Has the UK ever vetoed anything ?

For example an unfavourable trade treaty ?
    Yes, Cameron did once.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,264
    "Every election needs a dark horse candidate and the South Bend, Indiana, mayor seems to be it."

https://www.nbcnews.com/think/opinion/could-pete-buttigieg-could-be-new-joe-biden-bipartisan-voters-ncna991001
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,837

rcs1000 said:

nico67 said:

isam said:
    The UK would have a veto on an EU army if it was still in , the same veto it would also have on Turkey joining .

I read John Major's autobiography many years ago (it's good, btw). He described how he vetoed the other countries' choice of Commission President
  • Options
    ReggieCideReggieCide Posts: 4,312
    kle4 said:

Telegraph: "Grassroots Conservative activists are "quitting in their droves", it has been claimed, as new polling shows that more than 90 per cent disagree with Theresa May's decision to open talks with Jeremy Corbyn."

I'm lost now.

I thought Blue Momentum was trying to get extra people to join to vote for Boris?

I'm lost because I don't know what these activists expected given they can presumably count and can see that the PM doesn't have the numbers to even no deal, given workarounds are being made there. Do they think she opened talks with Corbyn lightly?

At least see if it goes anywhere first, see what the cost is. Because simply being open to working with others, even opponents, is not wrong. Particularly when you lack a majority.
    even more particularly when you lack a scooby
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,101

rpjs said:

Surely the label "Conservative and Unionist Party" means the opposite? You can be a Conservative who's not a Unionist or a Unionist who's not a Conservative, but the Party is for those who are both.

Although correct me if I'm wrong but the Tories haven't actually gone by the moniker "Conservative and Unionist Party" for many years.

I don't think I've ever had a ballot paper with the description 'Conservative and Unionist Party' on it.

Nor, for example, did the voters of Maidenhead in 2017:

https://www3.rbwm.gov.uk/info/200394/election_results/1271/general_election_results_2017

And the Unionist bit refers to the union of Britain and Ireland and the Liberal Unionists of the 19th century so somewhat defunct now in any case.
    I thought the Unionist bit referred to the Unionist Party that used to stand candidates as a separate party in Scotland, but were hurriedly merged with the English Conservative Party after the Unionist Party in Northern Ireland went rogue and became the Ulster Unionists, independent of their English Conservative Bretwalda.
    ' In 1886, the party formed an alliance with Spencer Compton Cavendish, Lord Hartington (later the 8th Duke of Devonshire) and Joseph Chamberlain's new Liberal Unionist Party and, under the statesmen Robert Gascoyne-Cecil, Lord Salisbury and Arthur Balfour, held power for all but three of the following twenty years before suffering a heavy defeat in 1906 when it split over the issue of free trade. In 1912, the Liberal Unionists merged with the Conservative Party. In Ireland, the Irish Unionist Alliance had been formed in 1891 which merged Unionists who were opposed to Irish Home Rule into one political movement. Its MPs took the Conservative whip at Westminster, and in essence, formed the Irish wing of the party until 1922. In Britain, the Conservative party was known as the Unionist Party because of its opposition to home rule in Ireland. '

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conservative_Party_(UK)#Conservatives_and_Unionists_(1867–1914)

The Scottish Unionists were merely the Scottish branch of the party:

' Following the merger of the Conservatives and Liberal Unionists to create the modern Conservative and Unionist Party in England and Wales, a committee was formed of the National Union of Conservative Associations for Scotland and regional Liberal Unionist associations which recommended a merger in Scotland. This was agreed in December 1912, creating the Scottish Unionist Association and the Unionist Party. '

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scottish_Conservatives#The_Unionist_Party_(1912-1965)
  • Options
    Pete Buttigieg to make special announcement April 14 | Local ...
    https://www.southbendtribune.com/.../local/pete-buttigieg-to-make-special-announceme...

Unavailable for legal reasons, at least in EU...

What is this?

Not sure, as a heavy bettor on Pete, this sounds good.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,322

rcs1000 said:

nico67 said:

isam said:

Yes, Cameron did once.
    The Fiscal Compact.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

rcs1000 said:

nico67 said:

isam said:

I read John Major's autobiography many years ago (it's good, btw). He described how he vetoed the other countries' choice of Commission President
    That's right - Major thought it would be a vote winner to veto the Belgian PM and then meekly accepted the Luxemburg PM with identical views.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    kle4 said:

Telegraph: "Grassroots Conservative activists are "quitting in their droves", it has been claimed, as new polling shows that more than 90 per cent disagree with Theresa May's decision to open talks with Jeremy Corbyn."

I'm lost now.

I thought Blue Momentum was trying to get extra people to join to vote for Boris?

I'm lost because I don't know what these activists expected given they can presumably count and can see that the PM doesn't have the numbers to even no deal, given workarounds are being made there. Do they think she opened talks with Corbyn lightly?

At least see if it goes anywhere first, see what the cost is. Because simply being open to working with others, even opponents, is not wrong. Particularly when you lack a majority.
    They expect MPs to dump this crap PM.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

nico67 said:

isam said:

Yes, Cameron did once.
    Didn't the EU just ignore his veto ?
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

kle4 said:

I'm lost now.

To be replaced by whom in order to achieve what ?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,798
    TGOHF said:

kle4 said:

I'm lost now.

Yes, but that doesn't get them no deal, or any other deal they might want, not with the parliamentary numbers as they are. One won't magically appear because May is gone, so it is just laziness to pretend otherwise.
  • Options
    Hmm. Ignore my last post. Seems Pete himself is advertising the 14th April gig

• Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    Thanks another Richard.

I'm trying to decide how many deposits the returning officer will have to repay. On the one hand a low turnout moves the 5% bar lower, but with so many minor parties standing you could see quite a large percentage of the vote split between lots of candidates with none of them saving their deposit.

I'm tempted to suggest the saved deposits will be Lab, Con and the disgraced former MP in third.

Any other ideas?
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/PeteButtigieg/status/1113735738850447362

I am getting excited.

This has a feel of a massive, massive political upset. Maybe I am totally wrong, but still 9 on BF for nominee.

DYOR

• Options

TGOHF said:

kle4 said:

I'm lost now.

To be better. Don’t be so binary. A sandwich with one turd in it is better than one with two.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,079
    rcs1000 said:

nico67 said:

isam said:
    I don't think that's true. John Major went down the opt-out route (which was also a right to opt-in) because his legal advice was that it could be done without us in any case.
  • Options
    Christchurch attacks: NZ suspect ordered to undergo mental health tests

BBC

• Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151

rcs1000 said:

nico67 said:

isam said:
    I don't think that's true. John Major went down the opt-out route (which was also a right to opt-in) because his legal advice was that it could be done without us in any case.
    You can't stop a bunch of other sovereign states from sharing a currency, so they could certainly have created a single currency outside the EU. Letting them do it inside the EU gives you a little bit of influence over what they're going to do anyway and no obvious downside.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

kle4 said:

I'm lost now.

To be better. Don’t be so binary. A sandwich with one turd in it is better than one with two.
    That's still not telling us how it would be better and how that would be achieved.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

nico67 said:

isam said:

Yes, Cameron did once.
    Yes. Just as they built Schengen without us too.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

nico67 said:

isam said:

Yes, Cameron did once.
    Ooh, now this is where it gets complicated. He did veto the watchamacallit as a EU thing, and - as was only right and proper - the EU abandoned it. But a little-known provision of the Treaty of Nice introduced "enhanced cooperation": a system whereby a subset of the EU could introduce a treaty of their own and use EU facilities. So the Euro-nations used that clause to do their own treaty, which they did. The Eurosceptics (a now rather nostalgic phrase) went ballistic, claiming that it was illegal. But "enhanced cooperation" had been discussed as a possible way forward when it looked as if Lisbon might fall, so it was neither illegal nor a surprise. Although given UK's later secession, it was a Pyrrhic victory... :(
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,007

rcs1000 said:

nico67 said:

isam said:
    It required a treaty so it required unanimity.

Of course, EMU could have been achieved entirely outside the existing EU framework, with the countries doing their own treaty (which is, of course, how Schengen started).

But the UK government decided it was better to be half in, than for the EU to be left behind by a new supranational entity in charge of the Single European Currency.
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786
    Not sure if it was picked up earlier but Roger Helmer MEP has quit UKIP and is now supporting the Brexit party
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    Charles Moore really is a vile disgusting human being . Why does QT continue to invite him on.
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    Very solid Con hold in Wroxham, a safe Tory seat, small swing to LD
    Greens push labour into 4th
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

nico67 said:

isam said:

Yes, Cameron did once.
    Schengen was initially created in 1985 as a treaty between five countries (and building on the historic Benelux free travel area). It only became an EU thing much later.
  • Options
    marke09marke09 Posts: 926

Siôn Jenkins
    @Sion_J
    3m3 minutes ago

A couple of sources here tell me it’s looking very close between Labour and Conservative. So close, in fact, that they were predicting a recount! (Far too early to be making such predictions, if you ask me!) #NewportWest
    0 replies 1 retweet 0 likes
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,028
    nico67 said:

Charles Moore really is a vile disgusting human being . Why does QT continue to invite him on.

He is actually intelligent and perceptive and writes very well even if I do not always agree with him
  • Options
    nico67 said:

What's he done now?
  • Options
    nico67 said:

I was shocked to read that he's only 62.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,873
    Newport West upset on the cards?
  • Options
    viewcode said:

nico67 said:

What's he done now?
    Opened his mouth ! And some poor comments aimed at Ireland . Horrible man .
  • Options
    ralphmalphralphmalph Posts: 2,201
    nico67 said:

Because somebody else on the panel should use a logical argument to disprove what he is saying. It is called debate in non-authoritarian societies.
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    edited April 2019
    Maybe the Con candidate was pretending?

https://www.twitter.com/Sion_J/status/1113936318868987905
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

nico67 said:

isam said:

Yes, Cameron did once.
    Schengen was initially created in 1985 as a treaty between five countries (and building on the historic Benelux free travel area). It only became an EU thing much later.
    Yes indeed it was half of the European Communities at the time, all the original members except Italy.

The Fiscal Compact followed the same precedence but including a much higher proportion of nations.
  • Options

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

kle4 said:

I'm lost now.

That's still not telling us how it would be better and how that would be achieved.
    Are you seriously telling me that a new leader couldn’t raise morale and enchance party unity ?

There are lots of ways forward better than Mays. Virtually any approach is.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

nico67 said:

isam said:

Yes, Cameron did once.
    Yes indeed it was half of the European Communities at the time, all the original members except Italy.

The Fiscal Compact followed the same precedence but including a much higher proportion of nations.
    Fun fact of the day, the treaty used for Schengen was pretty much identical to the old one between Belgium, the Netherlands and Luxuembourg, just with a couple of extra countries inserted in.
  • Options
    nunuonenunuone Posts: 1,138

I am getting excited.

This has a feel of a massive, massive political upset. Maybe I am totally wrong, but still 9 on BF for nominee.

DYOR

Hmmmmm I wonder what the announcement will be?
  • Options
    nico67 said:

viewcode said:

nico67 said:

What's he done now?
    Opened his mouth ! And some poor comments aimed at Ireland . Horrible man .
    What is it with the English Right and Ireland? Every flipping time... :(
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

kle4 said:

I'm lost now.

Are you seriously telling me that a new leader couldn’t raise morale and enchance party unity ?

As there are 'lots of ways forward better than Mays' perhaps you could list a few.
  • Options

I’m hearing that verification was completed early because of low turnout. #NewportWestByElection

— Felicity Evans (@felicityxevans) April 4, 2019
  • Options

Roger Awan-Scully
    ‏Verified account @roger_scully
    14s14 seconds ago

One question about Newport West was whether all the argumets about Brexit might mobilise angry voters, or if it would turn them off taking part.

From what we are hearing, it seems more likely that the latter has been the case.
  • Options
    I think Peston has some dodgy sources.

The likely outcome is a customs partnership , on certain sectors . May gives the rest of what Labour wants which isn’t that controversial .

No way she’ll go for a full CU .
  • Options
    Low turnout equals by election funtime
    Could make it interesting
  • Options

I have deep doubts about any electoral prediction from anyone called Sion after this:

https://www.newstatesman.com/blogs/conference/2007/09/labour-majority-increase
  • Options

UKIP win :)

[if that does happen, it was a joke, not prescience!]
  • Options

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

kle4 said:

I'm lost now.

As there are 'lots of ways forward better than Mays' perhaps you could list a few.
    A few off the top of my head, could be done individually or in combination, coming from all sort of backs - though some are contradictory with others.
    1: Take actions necessary to prepare for and enact No Deal if necessary [should have been done from start]
    2: Have a General Election led by someone with more charisma than a zombie.
    3: Have a PM with more charisma than a zombie.
    4: Be prepared to propose and back an extension and a referendum.
    5: Be prepared to propose and back an extension and a General Election to break the deadlock.
    6: Be prepared to sack Chris Grayling*

* Doesn't solve Brexit but still worth doing.
  • Options
    marke09 said:

Roger Awan-Scully
    14s14 seconds ago

One question about Newport West was whether all the argumets about Brexit might mobilise angry voters, or if it would turn them off taking part.

From what we are hearing, it seems more likely that the latter has been the case.

Could go either way from what we're hearing. If its closer than expected then it could be the former.
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900

Lab 1.01, so seems not.
  • Options

It does seem like this election will be a case of who loses the least.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,028
    This Week says Newport West has a low turnout and a result could come in a bit earlier than expected
  • Options
    ralphmalphralphmalph Posts: 2,201
    1:30am for Newport West result.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    How's the campaign against Joe Biden going?
  • Options
    marke09 said:

Roger Awan-Scully
    14s14 seconds ago

It'll be interesting if Tory + UKIP is more than 50% in Newport West.
  • Options
    37.1% turnout
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    Faisal saying labour source says both lab and con votes seem to be holding up
  • Options
    Newport West: Turnout confirmed at 37.1% (-30.4 vs 2017)
  • Options

37.1% turnout

That’s not that bad.
  • Options
    23615 votes cast
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

marke09 said:

Roger Awan-Scully
    14s14 seconds ago

It'll be interesting if Tory + UKIP is more than 50% in Newport West.
    Extremely unlikely IMO. Though if it is and Lab hold then the UKIP voters will have ensured the seat went to a Remainer rather than a Leaver.
  • Options
    Turnout: 37.1% #NewportWest Votes: 23,615
  • Options
    Labour expecting circa 10k votes
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    Pitiful turnout, down there with David Davis pointless flounce by election

Edit- not as bad as I thought, ignore
  • Options
    The first prediction, about a low turnout, turns out to be nonsense. 37% is pretty respectable for a by-election these days. Leeds Central in 1999 was only 19% IIRC. Maybe some more predictions about the result will also be wrong...
  • Options
    marke09 said:

Roger Awan-Scully
    14s14 seconds ago

marke09 said:

Newport West: Turnout confirmed at 37.1% (-30.4 vs 2017)

So it seems like the verdict is they're neither angry nor disillusioned, they're just kind of leaving the politicians to do politician things while they get on with their lives???
  • Options

Lewisham East was 33.3% turnout
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,328
    Newport West is the 1,020th Westminster by-election since the 1918 General Election.
  • Options

Labour expecting circa 10k votes

2k maj if that is right
  • Options

Lewisham East was 33.3% turnout
    Yeah I was hasty, I thought they usually got 50%, I see that isn't so
  • Options
    edited April 2019

A few off the top of my head, could be done individually or in combination, coming from all sort of backs - though some are contradictory with others.
    1: Take actions necessary to prepare for and enact No Deal if necessary [should have been done from start]
    5: Be prepared to propose and back an extension and a General Election to break the deadlock.

I was banging on about (1) from the start. Even before we triggered Article 50, we should have been hiring additional staff for checking passports, building customs infrastructure at Dover, putting in place the right IT systems, etc.

The more prepared you are, the more credible the threat to walk away without a deal.

The other half to (1), of course, is that the government needed to have (initially at least) focused all their trade energies on rolling over existing deals. Instead, Dr Fox swanned around Washington, building up a team of trade negotiators for a deal that simply was never going to be plausible on a two year time horizon.

The more preparation you do for No Deal, the less likely you are to exit on No Deal terms.

There would always be dislocations from leaving without a Deal. But with proper planning they would have been manageable. Instead there has been negligible preparation, and we still haven't rolled over many of the most important trade agreements.

Proper Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance, I believe is the phrase...
  • Options
    nunuonenunuone Posts: 1,138
    Prediction:
    Labour 44%
    Conservatives 40%
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    TIL Bernie was kind of shady about his tax returns in 2016 (only release one year's worth) and is still being weird about them:

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/04/04/politics/bernie-sanders-tax-returns/index.html?utm_source=twCNNp&utm_term=image&utm_medium=social&utm_content=2019-04-04T20:59:08

The fact that he got away with this last time without it being a big deal is a sign of what an easy ride he got.
  • Options
    Sounds like Kippers a poor 3rd
  • Options
    nunuone said:

Prediction:
    Labour 44%
    Conservatives 40%

Tories would bite your hand off for that in their current state
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,986
    23k votes and 10k for Lab=hold?
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

23k votes and 10k for Lab=hold?

It would be close!
  • Options
    I reckon Lab 40%
    CON 32%
    UKIP 22%
  • Options

I reckon Lab 40%
    CON 32%
    UKIP 22%

No chance!

If UKIP get double-digits they'll have done well.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,229

I reckon Lab 40%
    CON 32%
    UKIP 22%

Lab- too high? Con- too low?
    UKIP who knows? Who cares?
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    Prediction of a 4k hold from me, I'm going high ish.
  • Options

I reckon Lab 40%
    CON 32%
    UKIP 22%

No chance!

Let's see UKIP at least 20% I reckon
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

I was banging on about (1) from the start. Even before we triggered Article 50, we should have been hiring additional staff for checking passports, building customs infrastructure at Dover, putting in place the right IT systems, etc.

The more prepared you are, the more credible the threat to walk away without a deal.

The other half to (1), of course, is that the government needed to have (initially at least) focused all their trade energies on rolling over existing deals. Instead, Dr Fox swanned around Washington, building up a team of trade negotiators for a deal that simply was never going to be plausible on a two year time horizon.

The more preparation you do for No Deal, the less likely you are to exit on No Deal terms.

There would always be dislocations from leaving without a Deal. But with proper planning they would have been manageable. Instead there has been negligible preparation, and we still haven't rolled over many of the most important trade agreements.

Do you stand by your previous comments that no deal preparation should have included building customs infrastructure on the Irish border?
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    kle4 said:

Is that your prediction - or a rumour?
  • Options

Siôn Jenkins
    @Sion_J
    5m5 minutes ago

UKIP tell me they’re happy with a low turnout (officially of 37.1%) and that it bodes well for them. They’re setting their sights on pipping the Tories to second place. #NewportWest
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092

I am getting excited.

DYOR

You're totally wrong
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,344
    I don't really get the Buttigieg thing - he's pleasant enough, but basically a harmless centrist who does least well against Trump of all the candidates:

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/latest_polls/

Biden still doing much the best, though I'd prefer Sanders myself.
  • Options

I reckon Lab 40%
    CON 32%
    UKIP 22%

No chance!

Want a £10 charity bet? I said sub-10%, you think at least 20% so we can put the bar at 15%?
  • Options
    justin124 said:

kle4 said:

Is that your prediction - or a rumour?
    My prediction
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

You're out of date, the phrase of our times is:

Public Posturing Produces Piss Poor Performance.
  • Options
    marke09 said:

Siôn Jenkins
    @Sion_J
    5m5 minutes ago

UKIP tell me they’re happy with a low turnout (officially of 37.1%) and that it bodes well for them. They’re setting their sights on pipping the Tories to second place. #NewportWest

37% isn't a low turnout for a by-election.
  • Options
    Agents now discussing spoilt ballots result in 20 mins
  • Options
    @DeansOfCardiff
    17s
    18 seconds ago
    More

Candidate agents being summoned to discuss spoiled ballots #NewportWest
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092

I don't really get the Buttigieg thing - he's pleasant enough, but basically a harmless centrist who does least well against Trump of all the candidates:

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/latest_polls/

Biden still doing much the best, though I'd prefer Sanders myself.

https://jacobinmag.com/2019/04/pete-buttigieg-president-democratic-primary
  • Options

I reckon Lab 40%
    CON 32%
    UKIP 22%

No chance!

Want a £10 charity bet? I said sub-10%, you think at least 20% so we can put the bar at 15%?
    Yes that's fine
  • Options
    brendan16brendan16 Posts: 2,315
    marke09 said:

@DeansOfCardiff
    17s
    18 seconds ago
    More

Candidate agents being summoned to discuss spoiled ballots #NewportWest

Shame we won't get to see the comments written on those spoilt ballots!
This discussion has been closed.