Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Selling time. What passes for Theresa May’s strategy

Comments

• Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    isam said:

Pulpstar said:

What an absolubte fucking disgrace, passed with Fiona Onasunya's vote.

More ammo for the anti establishment stitch up campaign
    Crooks and liars.

Actions have consequences I believe..
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,100
    edited April 2019

rpjs said:

isam said:

Cyclefree said:

isam said:

isam said:

There seems to be an assumption that the people who voted Leave didn't know what they were voting for, and didn't really want to leave the EU... if we were to accept that argument, and the establishment managed somehow to wriggle out of actually leaving, what would they do to address the concerns of the majority of 2016 referendum voters?

It seems to me that a "business as usual" / "pretend it never happened" attitude prevails, the formation of Chuka/TIG being the most glaring example.

"...what would they do to address the concerns of the majority of 2016 referendum voters?"

Anyone?
    You raise a very good point. I think this is worthy of a thread header. How do you think these concerns should be addressed?
    Thank you.

I think it is impossible to address those concerns whilst we are a member of the EU, because the concerns all stem from FOM, which appears to be non negotiable. But I’d be interested to hear how people who want to ignore the result would deal with them
    If even just over 3.5% of Leave voters were willing to accept a Brexit that included retaining FOM, then there was NO majority against FOM at the 2016 referendum.

I do not believe that over 96.35% of Leave voters were voting to end FOM. Do you?
    A few days before the referendum a yougov poll had 42% of Leave voters saying they would prefer an EEA Brexit which retained FoM to 45% wanting a Brexit which did not.

EEA is what we should have been aiming for all along.
    EEA is more viable now as immigration from the EU has fallen since the Brexit vote but yes I would now take EEA gladly over No Deal or Revoke but sadly the extremists on both the Leave and Remain sides seem more determined to play Russian roulette with Brexit than seek a compromise
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,116
    kjohnw said:

kjohnw said:

IanB2 said:

ERG pro-filibuster amendment falls 105 v 509

Tonight is the night ERG have been reduced to a rump of bitter losers
    No 23/6/17 was the night it happened. When May's incompetence ensured the saboteurs won and the Remainers had a majority in Parliament.

Don't expect this Parliament to have the last word though.
    The anger in this country is rising , Parliament and MPs are seen as the blockers of brexit and out of touch with ordinary people . They want us to think again because they think we gave the wrong answer last time . They are destroying our democracy
    If, as Hammond said, the country is at an inflection point, wouldn't you rather give that decision than leave it to parliament?
    They didn’t listen last time why would they listen again until they get the answer they want
    This time the vote has two clearly defined outcomes - either we ratify the WA or revoke A50. It could be made binding in law.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,325
    When you consider that the Hammonds and Gaukes, who have said they will resign both their jobs and the Conservative Party rather than vote for no deal, remained loyal tonight, they and we owe a huge debt of gratitude to those few Tories like Letwin who were brave enough to make a stand.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited April 2019
    kjohnw said:

Foxy said:

kjohnw said:

IanB2 said:

No 23/6/17 was the night it happened. When May's incompetence ensured the saboteurs won and the Remainers had a majority in Parliament.

The anger in this country is rising , Parliament and MPs are seen as the blockers of brexit and out of touch with ordinary people . They want us to think again because they think we gave the wrong answer last time . They are destroying our democracy
    On the contrary, our politicians are doing a marvelous job at representing the British public in all its contradictory and irreconcilable beliefs. Westminster has taken back control. Isn't that what the people wanted?
    The people voted to leave . Remain lost . They have not enacted the people’s wishes . In a democracy the majority wins . Leave won . To subvert that vote is democratic betrayal . There will be riots on the streets if brexit is betrayed
    Indeed. And there will even bigger riots on the streets if we crash out in chaos causing multiple bankruptcies and job losses. Perhaps the nutjobs who trashed the Withdrawal Agreement which would implement an orderly Brexit, and gave perfect cover to Labour to go through the lobbies with them, should have considered those two points back in November.
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979

Pulpstar said:

Netted off by the vote of the disgraced fraudster Chris Davies.
    +1. I thought the same so they cancel each other out and it is still Maj of 1 for the Cooper amendment. I wish people would not make false representations about democracy being debased when they are incorrect.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

HYUFD said:

Hmm, this result doesn't exactly give a clear direction from parliament which would encourage the EU to give us a bit of leeway. This is not enough to take a catastrophic accidental No Deal off the table.

The Commons also voted for extension beyond May 22nd thus enabling participation in the EU elections.

Plus on tonight's numbers if no other alternative to No Deal hard to see how a majority of MPs do not vote to revoke Art 50 and cancel Brexit
    Revoke was not one of the choices tonight. That vote would be very different
    Considering Extend beat No Deal by 1 vote, it doesn't seem guaranteed at all that revoke would win.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,115
    Foxy said:

rpjs said:

isam said:

rpjs said:

isam said:

Cyclefree said:

isam said:

isam said:

There seems to be an assumption that the people who voted Leave didn't know what they were voting for, and didn't really want to leave the EU... if we were to accept that argument, and the establishment managed somehow to wriggle out of actually leaving, what would they do to address the concerns of the majority of 2016 referendum voters?

It seems to me that a "business as usual" / "pretend it never happened" attitude prevails, the formation of Chuka/TIG being the most glaring example.

"...what would they do to address the concerns of the majority of 2016 referendum voters?"

Anyone?
    You raise a very good point. I think this is worthy of a thread header. How do you think these concerns should be addressed?
    Thank you.

I think it is impossible to address those concerns whilst we are a member of the EU, because the concerns all stem from FOM, which appears to be non negotiable. But I’d be interested to hear how people who want to ignore the result would deal with them
    If even just over 3.5% of Leave voters were willing to accept a Brexit that included retaining FOM, then there was NO majority against FOM at the 2016 referendum.

I do not believe that over 96.35% of Leave voters were voting to end FOM. Do you?
    Honestly those kind of comments are just riduculous, because there are Remainers who disagree with FOM but who voted to stay because they work in the city and worry about the risk to their (very high) income.

You think a referendum on FOM would be won by those who want to keep it?
    Who knows? But we didn't have a referendum on FOM, did we?
    My favourite piece of polling on FOM is the poll that similtaneously supported FOM for Britons in the EU and opposed it for Europeans in Britain. Sadly not to hand.
    There is some logic to back that thought process up though.

British people who migrate to other EU countries tend to be affluent than the areas they migrate to.

With immigrants to the UK from other EU countries the opposite is the usual case.
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    kjohnw said:

Foxy said:

kjohnw said:

IanB2 said:

On the contrary, our politicians are doing a marvelous job at representing the British public in all its contradictory and irreconcilable beliefs. Westminster has taken back control. Isn't that what the people wanted?
    The people voted to leave . Remain lost . They have not enacted the people’s wishes . In a democracy the majority wins . Leave won . To subvert that vote is democratic betrayal . There will be riots on the streets if brexit is betrayed
    Take a chill pill ! I’m a Remainer and just want an orderly exit and a deal . Blame the ERG nutjobs , you’d have had Brexit by now if it wasn’t for them .
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,743
    isam said:

Sean_F said:

isam said:

Pulpstar said:

The publicity does rather write itself.
    They’re going to make Nigel Farage a hero and Tommy Robinson a martyr
    Will they rewrite the Horst Wessel song for Jack Renshaw too?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/stories-44798649
  • Options
    kjohnw said:

Foxy said:

kjohnw said:

IanB2 said:

I was at a dinner tonight with a group of our running club friends who represented a mix from fervent Remain to pro-Brexit. There was no sign from the Remainers that the time had changed but everyone of those who voted for Brexit said that they were disillusioned with how things had turned out. I wouldn't said they would riot but May has definitely lost their votes - and not gained any support from Remainers in return.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,100
    IanB2 said:

When you consider that the Hammonds and Gaukes, who have said they will resign both their jobs and the Conservative Party rather than vote for no deal, remained loyal tonight, they and we owe a huge debt of gratitude to those few Tories like Letwin who were brave enough to make a stand.

Hammond and Gauke I think would abstain on a Revoke v No Deal vote, tonight they voted with the Government and against Cooper
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Hmm, this result doesn't exactly give a clear direction from parliament which would encourage the EU to give us a bit of leeway. This is not enough to take a catastrophic accidental No Deal off the table.

The Commons also voted for extension beyond May 22nd thus enabling participation in the EU elections.

Plus on tonight's numbers if no other alternative to No Deal hard to see how a majority of MPs do not vote to revoke Art 50 and cancel Brexit
    Considering Extend beat No Deal by 1 vote, it doesn't seem guaranteed at all that revoke would win.
    It does, because if it came to a real decision, the considerable payroll vote would split.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

I have called out ERG and no deal for longer than I can remember
  • Options
    kjohnwkjohnw Posts: 1,456
    nico67 said:

kjohnw said:

Foxy said:

kjohnw said:

IanB2 said:

Take a chill pill ! I’m a Remainer and just want an orderly exit and a deal . Blame the ERG nutjobs , you’d have had Brexit by now if it wasn’t for them .
    My son works in network rail , solid labour voters . All the lads there are all saying they will never vote labour again for the way the party has betrayed brexit. I think northern labour MPs are doomed
  • Options

kjohnw said:

Foxy said:

kjohnw said:

IanB2 said:

Indeed. And there will even bigger riots on the street if we crash out in chaos causing mulitple bankruptcies and job losses. Perhaps the nutjobs who trashed the Withdrawal Agreement which would implement an orderly Brexit, and gave perfect cover to Labour to go through the lobbies with them, should have considered those two points back in November.
    Its worse than that.

Those same nutjobs want No Deal with Fox and Grayling in charge of trade and transport.
  • Options
    _Anazina__Anazina_ Posts: 1,810
    Foxy said:

I struggle to find any redeeming qualities in Phillip Hammond.

No one complaining about unemployment.
    No one complaining about inflation.
    No one complaining about high interest rates.
    Chancellors in the past would have given their eye teeth for that.
    He is the only adult in the room at Cabinet, which is why he is hated by the Brexiteers.
    Hammond was seriously impressive on Peston. By far the most talented Tory. Sadly, as a pro-business, eurorealistic moderate he has no chance of winning over the moondogs in the Tory membership.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,283
    Foxy said:

isam said:

Sean_F said:

isam said:

Pulpstar said:

Tommy Robinson. A convicted criminal.
  • Options
    O/T, if pb'ers are looking for a book to read, may I recommend All Among the Barley by Melissa Harrison? Absolutely wonderful and with an ending that will make you reflect once you have finished.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,883
    edited April 2019

HYUFD said:

I think it would, but with a majority in single or low double figures.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,971
    Foxy said:

isam said:

Sean_F said:

isam said:

Pulpstar said:

I don’t see what he’s got to do with it to be honest
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,083
    kjohnw said:

nico67 said:

kjohnw said:

Foxy said:

kjohnw said:

IanB2 said:

My son works in network rail , solid labour voters . All the lads there are all saying they will never vote labour again for the way the party has betrayed brexit. I think northern labour MPs are doomed
    Total rubbish. Labour will mop up in the council elections and probably win the North of Tyne city region mayoralty.
  • Options
    _Anazina_ said:

Foxy said:

He is the only adult in the room at Cabinet, which is why he is hated by the Brexiteers.
    Hammond was seriously impressive on Peston. By far the most talented Tory. Sadly, as a pro-business, eurorealistic moderate he has no chance of winning over the moondogs in the Tory membership.
    Hammond is an interventionist. Would be more at home in New Labour.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,136

kjohnw said:

Foxy said:

kjohnw said:

IanB2 said:

Indeed. And there will even bigger riots on the street if we crash out in chaos causing mulitple bankruptcies and job losses. Perhaps the nutjobs who trashed the Withdrawal Agreement which would implement an orderly Brexit, and gave perfect cover to Labour to go through the lobbies with them, should have considered those two points back in November.
    Perhaps what we need is a series of indicative riots to determine the way forward.

First up - Ken Clarke will be organising a drunken brawl in Belgravia, in favour of a permanent Customs Union.

• Options

kjohnw said:

Foxy said:

kjohnw said:

IanB2 said:

Indeed. And there will even bigger riots on the streets if we crash out in chaos causing multiple bankruptcies and job losses. Perhaps the nutjobs who trashed the Withdrawal Agreement which would implement an orderly Brexit, and gave perfect cover to Labour to go through the lobbies with them, should have considered those two points back in November.
    I disagree there is a real appetite out there in the real world to walk away from the negotiations
  • Options

IanB2 said:

If it came to a real choice between extension and no deal, no deal would be defeated comprehensively.
    The problem is the transmission mechanism between parliament deciding that and it actually happening, which isn't clear. Cooper's bill provides a mechanism, which is the important missing bit of the jigsaw, but it looks a bit flaky (and still has to pass the Lords).
    True. Its efficacy depends heavily on the oft repeated assertion (most frequently from Brexiters) that the EU is actually afraid of no deal.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,743
    isam said:

Foxy said:

isam said:

Sean_F said:

isam said:

Pulpstar said:

I don’t see what he’s got to do with it to be honest
    The sort of person who hero worships Farage and Yaxley-Lennon.

Be careful of the company you keep isam.
  • Options

kjohnw said:

nico67 said:

kjohnw said:

Foxy said:

kjohnw said:

IanB2 said:

Total rubbish. Labour will mop up in the council elections and probably win the North of Tyne city region mayoralty.
    Where do you live?
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979
    _Anazina_ said:

Foxy said:

Mind you if Article 50 is revoked and many Brexit supporting Tory members resign their membership in protest. The unlikely candidate might be in with a chance. Personally, I think he is too unpopular in the country he has dire polling IIRC.
  • Options
    kjohnw said:

kjohnw said:

Foxy said:

kjohnw said:

IanB2 said:

I disagree there is a real appetite out there in the real world to walk away from the negotiations
    A lot of people just want it to end so normal life can continue. They'd be equally happy with revocation.
  • Options
    kjohnw said:

kjohnw said:

nico67 said:

kjohnw said:

Foxy said:

kjohnw said:

IanB2 said:

Where do you live?
    Newcastle upon Tyne.
  • Options
    kjohnw said:

Yes of course there is. But it would evaporate within a day of contact with the reality of walking away from the negotiations.
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    Lp

kjohnw said:

nico67 said:

kjohnw said:

Foxy said:

kjohnw said:

IanB2 said:

If last year's pattern holds, of the Conservatives doing well in leave areas, and poorly in Remain areas, that will limit Conservative losses, due to the nature of the seats being contested.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

If it came to a real choice between extension and no deal, no deal would be defeated comprehensively.
    The problem is the transmission mechanism between parliament deciding that and it actually happening, which isn't clear. Cooper's bill provides a mechanism, which is the important missing bit of the jigsaw, but it looks a bit flaky (and still has to pass the Lords).
    True. Its efficacy depends heavily on the oft repeated assertion (most frequently from Brexiters) that the EU is actually afraid of no deal.
    They certainly don't want No Deal, and would try hard to avoid it, but not at any price.
  • Options

So will the Lords filibuster this?

I heard a report that it is highly likely the lords brexiteers will fillbuster
    Can it prevent the bill from becoming law though

• Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137

Foxy said:

isam said:

Sean_F said:

isam said:

Pulpstar said:

Tommy Robinson. A convicted criminal.
    Like the person who just secured Cooper's bill passing......
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,965
    Well this evening's vote commits the PM to do something she was going to anyway, but the deciding vote being an MP that really should be in prison (& Certainly wouldn't be at liberty to work in any other workplace) is utterly contemptible.
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    kjohnw said:

nico67 said:

kjohnw said:

Foxy said:

kjohnw said:

IanB2 said:

Why? Who else are leavers going to vote for?
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    Pulpstar said:

Well this evening's vote commits the PM to do something she was going to anyway, but the deciding vote being an MP that really should be in prison (& Certainly wouldn't be at liberty to work in any other workplace) is utterly contemptible.

She's probably over the 10% recall threshold already too - terrible bit of drafting, that. OTOH, Remain is a vote short because of Newport W which will probably change tomorrow (though 75 does look big for the Tories, and 10 ludicrously short for UKIP).
  • Options

kjohnw said:

kjohnw said:

nico67 said:

kjohnw said:

Foxy said:

kjohnw said:

IanB2 said:

Where do you live?
    Newcastle upon Tyne.
    I can’t speak for the north east but here in north west there is anger at the betrayal of brexit and labour are seen trying to block brexit
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

kjohnw said:

kjohnw said:

Foxy said:

kjohnw said:

IanB2 said:

A lot of people just want it to end so normal life can continue. They'd be equally happy with revocation.
    Interestingly, tonight's vote exactly mirrors polling on extending or revoking v leaving without a deal.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,877
    Chance of an "indicative vote" in Theresa May raised at 1922 tonight according to Newnight?
  • Options

kjohnw said:

nico67 said:

kjohnw said:

Foxy said:

kjohnw said:

IanB2 said:

Hopefully the brexit party
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

kjohnw said:

kjohnw said:

Foxy said:

kjohnw said:

IanB2 said:

I’d disagree with that.

Suspect turnout will vary a lot in local elections. Strong remain and particularly leave areas might be up but Kippers probably won’t be contesting many seats. Stay at home party might have a landslide.
  • Options
    There’s some County Durham seats that have been trending Tory for some time but there’s no chance the urban seats in cities on Tyneside, Wearside, or the other major Northern cities are going to suddenly vote Tory. No chance.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,884
    Pulpstar said:

Why is it a disgrace?
  • Options

There’s some County Durham seats that have been trending Tory for some time but there’s no chance the urban seats in cities on Tyneside, Wearside, or the other major Northern cities are going to suddenly vote Tory. No chance.

What about the Brexit Party
  • Options
    kjohnw said:

No, but they may be able to delay it.
  • Options
    edited April 2019

Pulpstar said:

Why is it a disgrace?
    She should be in jail at the moment, she's serving a sentence.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

kjohnw said:

No, but they may be able to delay it.
    By how long ?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,116
    Charles Moore thinks there's a been conspiracy between Labour and the Tories since the referendum to frustrate Brexit: "What really matters to them is that Brexit should be drained of all power."

https://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2019/04/theresa-may-and-jeremy-corbyn-both-want-to-frustrate-brexit/
  • Options
    kjohnw said:

kjohnw said:

nico67 said:

kjohnw said:

Foxy said:

kjohnw said:

IanB2 said:

They aren’t standing in the local elections.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Why is it a disgrace?
    Er because she's a criminal?
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151
    The EU should just set the extension period to 1000 years.

The deadline existed to get the deal made, the deal is made. The British can leave whenever they want, with or without it. The EU don't particularly want them to leave, but they also don't want to stop them. The deadlines don't force anyone to decide anything, because everyone knows they can be extended.

So why have a deadline?
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

Charles Moore thinks there's a been conspiracy between Labour and the Tories since the referendum to frustrate Brexit: "What really matters to them is that Brexit should be drained of all power."

https://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2019/04/theresa-may-and-jeremy-corbyn-both-want-to-frustrate-brexit/

Classic example of erroneously diagnosing conspiracy rather than incompetence.
  • Options
    kjohnw said:

kjohnw said:

kjohnw said:

nico67 said:

kjohnw said:

Foxy said:

kjohnw said:

IanB2 said:

Where do you live?
    Newcastle upon Tyne.
    I can’t speak for the north east but here in north west there is anger at the betrayal of brexit and labour are seen trying to block brexit
    Maybe some of the small town seats but no chance that great swathes of Greater Manchester and Merseyside are going any colour but red.
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    TGOHF said:

kjohnw said:

kjohnw said:

nico67 said:

kjohnw said:

Foxy said:

kjohnw said:

IanB2 said:

They aren’t standing in the local elections.
    I was talking about a general election and MPs
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    kjohnw said:

kjohnw said:

nico67 said:

kjohnw said:

Foxy said:

kjohnw said:

IanB2 said:

You mean Farage’s “I want to keep my MEP expenses” Party? That couldn’t be bothered to contest Newport West? Sorry to disappoint but Farage ain’t saving you.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Lp

kjohnw said:

nico67 said:

kjohnw said:

Foxy said:

kjohnw said:

IanB2 said:

If last year's pattern holds, of the Conservatives doing well in leave areas, and poorly in Remain areas, that will limit Conservative losses, due to the nature of the seats being contested.
    It's becoming increasingly hard to see the Tories doing well at the locals, due to the shambles itself rather than any Leave/Remain aspect. The few anecdotal reports I've seen or heard from Tory canvassers suggest heavy weather. It'll be interesting to see the next VI polls - and these are national; in local elections people tend more left anyway and there isn't the fear-of-Corbyn factor to shore up the Tory vote.
  • Options
    kjohnw said:

What about the Brexit Party
    Even votes for the Brexit Party on a scale greater than UKIP in their ascendancy is not going to erode 60%+ majorities.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Why is it a disgrace?
    She should be in jail at the moment, she's serving a sentence.
    But she isn't presumably 60 days from 29th January is up, and hasn't been recalled either yet.
  • Options

kjohnw said:

kjohnw said:

nico67 said:

kjohnw said:

Foxy said:

kjohnw said:

IanB2 said:

You mean Farage’s “I want to keep my MEP expenses” Party? That couldn’t be bothered to contest Newport West? Sorry to disappoint but Farage ain’t saving you.
    Farage just wants a platform to justify being interviewed, and in case he needs it to book another stint on the MEP gravy train. I don't think he has much intention of putting in the graft needed to build another genuine national political party. Nor give anyone else the control to do so.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    When does the Onasanya petition close?
  • Options

The EU should just set the extension period to 1000 years.

The deadline existed to get the deal made, the deal is made. The British can leave whenever they want, with or without it. The EU don't particularly want them to leave, but they also don't want to stop them. The deadlines don't force anyone to decide anything, because everyone knows they can be extended.

So why have a deadline?

That sounds reasonable.
  • Options
    In betting news, the UKIP price in Newport West is crazily short.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Pulpstar said:

Why is it a disgrace?
    Arent her 60 days up?
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

First of May.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

May 1st
  • Options
    Thornberry and McDonnell have both been in hospital today, and missed votes, certainly earlier in the evening. There are always "what ifs" with close votes.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Danny565 said:

May 1st
    The day before I am not elected as a Councillor.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

Pulpstar said:

Why is it a disgrace?
    Arent her 60 days up?
    When she was convicted she should have resigned her seat.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

Pulpstar said:

Why is it a disgrace?
    Aren't her 60 days up?
    I don't think someone should be able to vote whilst they are serving a sentence ! Just because someone isn't in prison (Which is a cost/overcrowding issue) does not mean they should have complete liberty.
  • Options
    I'll just have to pretend Paul Flynn voted against for the Cooper amendment this evening, he was a good MP.
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    The best option now is for the tories to vonc TM either through rule change in the 22 or failing that collapse the government
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

GIN1138 said:

Pulpstar said:

Why is it a disgrace?
    Aren't her 60 days up?
    I don't think someone should be able to vote whilst they are serving a sentence ! Just because someone isn't in prison (Which is a cost/overcrowding issue) does not mean they should have complete liberty.
    I always thought when people were on tag they had to abide by curfews and needed to be home in the evening?
  • Options
    1st law to be passed when this shitshow is sorted - MPs currently serving a sentence should not be able to vote in parliament.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

GIN1138 said:

Pulpstar said:

Why is it a disgrace?
    Aren't her 60 days up?
    You need a change of law then.

Aren't we talking about not jailing anyone with less than a 12 month sentence
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

1st law to be passed when this shitshow is sorted - MPs currently serving a sentence should not be able to vote in parliament.

Someone’s rattled.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Pulpstar said:

GIN1138 said:

Pulpstar said:

Why is it a disgrace?
    Aren't her 60 days up?
    I always thought when people were on tag they had to abide by curfews and needed to be home in the evening?
    Maybe she's on the run.
  • Options
    kjohnw said:

The best option now is for the tories to vonc TM either through rule change in the 22 or failing that collapse the government

Possibility of an "indicative vote" in Theresa May was raised at 1922 committee tonight,

Will be interesting to see whether that gets anywhere tomorrow.
  • Options
    Guardian thinks the Lords debate will be Friday or Monday, not tomorrow,
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

_Anazina_ said:

Foxy said:

Hammond is an interventionist. Would be more at home in New Labour.
    QED
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Someone’s rattled.
    MPs serving a sentence shouldn't be able to vote ? Is that really such a controversial opinion ?
  • Options
    kjohnw said:

And what does that do to help ?
  • Options

kjohnw said:

Ushers in a better leader who will implement a decent brexit
  • Options
  • Options

kjohnw said:

Makes a General Election possible for the Tories politically.
  • Options
    kjohnw said:

kjohnw said:

Who you backing?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Hmm. Well the rules are what they are currently, and criminals can vote. I’d rather the misanthropic bigots from the DUP and the hard Tory right didn’t have the vote either, but they do!
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Someone’s rattled.
    MPs serving a sentence shouldn't be able to vote ? Is that really such a controversial opinion ?
    Not really, but as they currently are allowed to vote one can hardly complain when they do!
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,044
    edited April 2019

kjohnw said:

The idea is that by doing so, they cause a vacuum of power which results in No Deal by Default.

The problem with the idea is twomany-fold:

1. Mrs May is still in a position to request an extension until a new Prime Minister is appointed by the Queen. She would, I'm sure, ask for a 12 or 18 month extension in that circumstance.

2. There is the very real possibility of a "government of National Unity" coming out of the Commons before a General Election. Such a government would implement a far softer Brexit than Mrs May's deal.

3. Even if a General Election were to flow from the VoNC, who lead the Conservative Party?

4. And even assume someone could be put in place who was suitably Brexity, how do you ensure that the Conservative MPs that are returned are in favour of your kind of deal?

5. And even if you can get that sorted, what happens if the election results in a Hung Parliament?
  • Options

kjohnw said:

kjohnw said:

Who you backing?
    Anyone but the two clowns running the tories and labour 😁
  • Options
    kjohnw said:

kjohnw said:

So what is this 'decent brexit' and how would it be implemented ?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

kjohnw said:

The idea is that by doing so, they cause a vacuum of power which results in No Deal by Default.

The problem with the idea is twomany-fold:

1. Mrs May is still in a position to request an extension until a new Prime Minister is appointed by the Queen. She would, I'm sure, ask for a 12 or 18 month extension in that circumstance.

2. There is the very real possibility of a "government of National Unity" coming out of the Commons before a General Election. Such a government would implement a far softer Brexit than Mrs May's deal.

3. Even if a General Election were to flow from the VoNC, who lead the Conservative Party?

4. And even assume someone could be put in place who was suitably Brexity, how do you ensure that the Conservative MPs that are returned are in favour of your kind of deal?

5. And even if you can get that sorted, what happens if the election results in a Hung Parliament?
    Your right we are well and truly screwed . Maybe emigration is the way forwards
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    rcs1000 said:

More a "when" than an "if" imo.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Lp

kjohnw said:

nico67 said:

kjohnw said:

Foxy said:

kjohnw said:

IanB2 said:

What a shame if Zac Goldsmith were to lose his seat. (Hopefully it could be mirrored by a win for the Blues in Don Valley.)
  • Options
    kjohnw said:

kjohnw said:

kjohnw said:

Who you backing?
    Anyone but the two clowns running the tories and labour 😁
    Nobody you can name.

Is it a secret?
  • Options

kjohnw said:

kjohnw said:

So what is this 'decent brexit' and how would it be implemented ?
    There was nothing particularly wrong with Mrs May's proposal. It would likely have been followed by a close, but sub-EEA, relationship between the UK and the EU.

Over time, the relationship would have gradually loosened, but the divorce would have been a relatively friendly one.
  • Options
    _Anazina_ said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Someone’s rattled.
    Not really, but as they currently are allowed to vote one can hardly complain when they do!
    Apparently it's very important to Pulpstar.

Never heard him call anything a fucking disgrace before.
This discussion has been closed.