Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Selling time. What passes for Theresa May’s strategy

Comments

• Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,858
    DougSeal said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Ishmael_Z said:

isam said:

There seems to be an assumption that the people who voted Leave didn't know what they were voting for, and didn't really want to leave the EU... if we were to accept that argument, and the establishment managed somehow to wriggle out of actually leaving, what would they do to address the concerns of the majority of 2016 referendum voters?

It seems to me that a "business as usual" / "pretend it never happened" attitude prevails, the formation of Chuka/TIG being the most glaring example.

A strong case can be made for saying that they didn't know what they were voting for. I had only the sketchiest understanding of what I was voting against when I voted remain. I certainly know a fuck of a lot more about it now then I did then.
    In that case you were fucking dumb and should have found out before you voted. But your idiocy does not give you the right to tar everyone else with the same brush.
    Please don't call me dumb. First, I'm not; secondly it's rude; thirdly it gives me an opening to say that i have always rated your contributions to this site as A1 for effort, but C3 for thinking skills. I wouldn't normally say that, but you started it.

Are you claiming that you *did* know what you were voting for in the sense that you foresaw us being in the position we are in now and still voted for it? Golly. And are you going to vote leave again in the forthcoming People's Vote?
    He calls everyone dumb. You wouldn’t be a poster on this site if he hadn’t, at some point, called you dumb. What gets me is that even his insults lack any insight or originality. He’s not even very good at being rude.
    I don't think Richard's ever called me dumb and I've been here 12 years. :D
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,969
    HYUFD said:

Drutt said:

I'll be honest. I've been out tonight at a a sort of pre-drinks for a local awards do where my team has a nomination, and no shortage of drink has been taken. Can anyone give me a 50-word summary of exactly what the blue blazes has gone on today?

Thanks

Drutt

May and Corbyn discuss compromise, but it probably won't happen
    MPs trying to pass law to stop No Deal, but it probably won't work
    No visible progress on the Deal, or any alternative
    Hard Brexit another day closer
    Or revoke another day closer, the ERG are dicing with death as much as diehard Remainers
    True. Unlike some who post with such certainty that it will go one way or the other, I have absolutely no idea which way it will fall and it looks like it might in the end all be down to the individual whim of the PM.

Even if I agreed with her on her final decision it is still no way to decide such an important issue.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,184

DougSeal said:

Ishmael_Z said:

isam said:

There seems to be an assumption that the people who voted Leave didn't know what they were voting for, and didn't really want to leave the EU... if we were to accept that argument, and the establishment managed somehow to wriggle out of actually leaving, what would they do to address the concerns of the majority of 2016 referendum voters?

It seems to me that a "business as usual" / "pretend it never happened" attitude prevails, the formation of Chuka/TIG being the most glaring example.

A strong case can be made for saying that they didn't know what they were voting for. I had only the sketchiest understanding of what I was voting against when I voted remain. I certainly know a fuck of a lot more about it now then I did then.
    In that case you were fucking dumb and should have found out before you voted. But your idiocy does not give you the right to tar everyone else with the same brush.
    You're so vitriolic and intemperate you demean both you and this site.
    LOL. Yet another classic from the poster who has shone with their ability to be wrong about absolutely everything.
    It’s the dry, cutting, caustic, razor sharp wit that gets me every time.
    Who cares Doug. You are just an anonymous troll hiding behind a false identity.
    You clearly do. If I am indeed a troll then don’t feed me. I wasn’t aware that using ine’s real name was a prerequisite on this site. There are some very weird ones if that’s true.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,962
    If May needs to seek any extension past the 22nd May absolubte deadline, surely she must stand down ?
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,325
    Division on the amendment to take out the requirement for the PM to put the EU's chosen extension date back to MPs. Amendment defeated 304 v 313
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Ishmael_Z said:

isam said:

Please don't call me dumb. First, I'm not; secondly it's rude; thirdly it gives me an opening to say that i have always rated your contributions to this site as A1 for effort, but C3 for thinking skills. I wouldn't normally say that, but you started it.

Are you claiming that you *did* know what you were voting for in the sense that you foresaw us being in the position we are in now and still voted for it? Golly. And are you going to vote leave again in the forthcoming People's Vote?
    He calls everyone dumb. You wouldn’t be a poster on this site if he hadn’t, at some point, called you dumb. What gets me is that even his insults lack any insight or originality. He’s not even very good at being rude.
    You clearly don't pay much attention. Either that or you are imagining things. Both I would suggest are rather poor qualities in the legal profession.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,097

HYUFD said:

Drutt said:

I'll be honest. I've been out tonight at a a sort of pre-drinks for a local awards do where my team has a nomination, and no shortage of drink has been taken. Can anyone give me a 50-word summary of exactly what the blue blazes has gone on today?

Thanks

Drutt

Or revoke another day closer, the ERG are dicing with death as much as diehard Remainers
    True. Unlike some who post with such certainty that it will go one way or the other, I have absolutely no idea which way it will fall and it looks like it might in the end all be down to the individual whim of the PM.

Even if I agreed with her on her final decision it is still no way to decide such an important issue.
    The PM will go with what gets most votes in the Commons so she can blame them I expect based on her speech yesterday
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:
    Wow! Just wow!

Was the Corn Laws split this brutal?
    Probably not as we didn't have Twitter then! :D
    But there would have been some very firm views expressed on calling cards.
  • Options
    Think it'll carry by 6 for Cooper.
  • Options
    Division on government amendment 22 - protects government ability to extend A50 in other ways. Opposed by Brexiters.
  • Options
    DruttDrutt Posts: 1,093

Drutt said:

Thanks

Drutt

2 government people you probably never heard of resigned.
    The HoC printer broke down.

Think that covers it
    Thanks all. Also something about a tie, and (as I think I considered a possibility a fortnight ago) convicted criminal and disgraced solicitor Fiona Onasanya having effectively the casting vote in the future of the nation.
  • Options

Ishmael_Z said:

Ishmael_Z said:

isam said:

Two days after the referendum result I wrote an article published on here that made the explicit comparison between the Leave victory and the Western interventions in the Middle East - all about winning the war but then potentially losing the peace. I made clear that the best way to avoid this was by compromise and taking into account the views of the 48% who voted Remain.

So don't preach to me about what I did and didn't know. I published it on PB for all to see and I stand by it now.

And yes if you voted the way you did without having bothered to find out the facts then you are dumb. There were plenty of people on both sides who did bother to find out and who then voted accordingly based on their own values and principles.

Your problem is not just that you are dumb to have voted in ignorance but that you then project that on to everyone else who voted.
    Use a thesaurus FFS. You use “dumb” in every post.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,279
    Cooper bill falls.

But to be honest I have no idea what that means.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    By that point linguistic drift will mean it's known as Treezamaizdeel, if we're still even using letter and haven't all adopted binary. Or something.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

Ishmael_Z said:

Ishmael_Z said:

isam said:

Two days after the referendum result I wrote an article published on here that made the explicit comparison between the Leave victory and the Western interventions in the Middle East - all about winning the war but then potentially losing the peace. I made clear that the best way to avoid this was by compromise and taking into account the views of the 48% who voted Remain.

So don't preach to me about what I did and didn't know. I published it on PB for all to see and I stand by it now.

And yes if you voted the way you did without having bothered to find out the facts then you are dumb. There were plenty of people on both sides who did bother to find out and who then voted accordingly based on their own values and principles.

Your problem is not just that you are dumb to have voted in ignorance but that you then project that on to everyone else who voted.
    I researched the options quite adequately, thanks. The missing information was what a load of shysters, blowhards, fraudsters, fantasists and incompetent fuckwits those advocating leave were. I don't see any reason to exempt you from that judgment.
  • Options

Cooper bill falls.

The bill hasn't been voted on yet. These are amendments being voted down.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

DougSeal said:

Ishmael_Z said:

isam said:

You're so vitriolic and intemperate you demean both you and this site.
    LOL. Yet another classic from the poster who has shone with their ability to be wrong about absolutely everything.
    It’s the dry, cutting, caustic, razor sharp wit that gets me every time.
    Who cares Doug. You are just an anonymous troll hiding behind a false identity.
    You clearly do. If I am indeed a troll then don’t feed me. I wasn’t aware that using ine’s real name was a prerequisite on this site. There are some very weird ones if that’s true.
    I told you before, I enjoy it. It is entertaining to see you desperately trying to be clever and failing dismally.
  • Options

Ishmael_Z said:

Ishmael_Z said:

isam said:

Here's your piece from 26th June 2016

http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2016/06/26/richard-tyndall-on-the-exit-strategy/

So many banned users in the comments! :open_mouth:
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    HYUFD said:

Drutt said:

Thanks

Drutt

Quite possibly, yes. But until Parliament can find a majority for something else, No Deal is the default position.
    Pulpstar said:

If May needs to seek any extension past the 22nd May absolute deadline, surely she must stand down ?

You reckon? This is Theresa May we're talking about here.
  • Options
    This one will be a big big majority for the Ayes.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,356
    Pulpstar said:

Cooper bill falls.

Does this mean the bill is going to pass?
  • Options

DougSeal said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Ishmael_Z said:

isam said:

You clearly don't pay much attention. Either that or you are imagining things. Both I would suggest are rather poor qualities in the legal profession.
    They’ll let anyone in these days. I thought you needed a modicum of insight and analytical skills to be a geologist. I guess both professions have gone to the dogs.
  • Options

Cooper bill falls.

Are you sure
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Ishmael_Z said:

isam said:

I researched the options quite adequately, thanks. The missing information was what a load of shysters, blowhards, fraudsters, fantasists and incompetent fuckwits those advocating leave were. I don't see any reason to exempt you from that judgment.
    As I said, dumb. Ignorance is not a virtue you know. It seems you know no more now than you did then.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Is that the best the Guardian can do
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    DougSeal said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Ishmael_Z said:

isam said:

Yet more false statements. The legal profession appears to have a real issue with people unable to tell the truth these days. Sure you are not an MP as well? That would account for a lot.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2016/06/26/richard-tyndall-on-the-exit-strategy/

From that thread:

Just as Andy's spreadsheet smashed the Hedge Fund models, so I think Richard Tyndall seems to have more of a Brexit plan here than Boris ever had.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    No shock there, Hammond is about as much a Remainer as Soubry or Clarke.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Farage will be pleased - He's hoping for a long extension apparently...

1. So we can get Theresa out and a Brexiteer PM in.

2. And that PM can then hold an election and secure a majority.

3. With a majority they can then press the reset button on negotaitations and go for FTA or managed No Deal.

4. While all this is going on Nigel stays on the EU gravy train and gets to be horrid to Jucker et al in the process.

:D
  • Options
    Danny565 said:
    As I said before, going to talk to Corbyn, leaving at least the possibility that the WA could pass unchanged, was the only way to leave the cabinet meeting without resignations. She has absolutely no room to manouvre without losing one wing of the cabinet or the other.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Pulpstar said:

Cooper bill falls.

Since Cooper is 'whipping' people to oppose the amendments and they're being opposed, yes probably.
  • Options

Cooper bill falls.

Are you sure
    Which bit? The Bill falls or I have no idea?
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Just had a look back at the comments myself. Was Hunchman the one who kept claiming there was an office in some London street with a million (I exaggerate) registered businesses which was the centre of some great evil masterplan?
  • Options
    I see that the Daily Mail has given up on all this.
  • Options

Cooper bill falls.

Are you sure
    Which bit? The Bill falls or I have no idea?
    The bill falls as it has not been voted on yet !!!
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,508
    I struggle to find any redeeming qualities in Phillip Hammond.
  • Options

No shock there, Hammond is about as much a Remainer as Soubry or Clarke.
    He really knows how to wind up the ERG doesn't he? They are having their earlier stupidity rammed down their throats by the bucket load these days. And its not over yet. This bill tonight even getting a second reading will be the end of their fantasies.
  • Options

DavidL said:

Pulpstar said:

Cooper bill falls.

Since Cooper is 'whipping' people to oppose the amendments and they're being opposed, yes probably.
    Guardian says this: "MPs reject Cooper bill at third stage
    MPs have rejected the Cooper bill at Committee stage by 304:313. "

No woinder I am lost.
  • Options
    Just flagged a significant mistake in the Guardian live feed.

Meanwhile the amendment to protect the government's ability to seek extension in other circumstances fails 220 v 400
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

DougSeal said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Ishmael_Z said:

isam said:

They’ll let anyone in these days. I thought you needed a modicum of insight and analytical skills to be a geologist. I guess both professions have gone to the dogs.
    Nah you always just needed to be able to drink and hit rocks. We have a noble heritage going all the way back to the Neolithic.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

Just had a look back at the comments myself. Was Hunchman the one who kept claiming there was an office in some London street with a million (I exaggerate) registered businesses which was the centre of some great evil masterplan?
    Yes.

A great evil masterplan that was cunningly secret yet could be uncovered by looking at Company's House.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

Yes I think so... ;)
  • Options
    Division on Brexiter amendment to limit any extension to 22 May
  • Options
    RobinWiggsRobinWiggs Posts: 621
    Drutt said:

Drutt said:

Thanks

Drutt

2 government people you probably never heard of resigned.
    The HoC printer broke down.

Think that covers it
    Thanks all. Also something about a tie, and (as I think I considered a possibility a fortnight ago) convicted criminal and disgraced solicitor Fiona Onasanya having effectively the casting vote in the future of the nation.
    That casting vote was also effectively held by “disgraced national security risk, Liam Fox” oft referred to in dispatches here.

When in reality it was exercised by blatantly biased Brexit-denier Bercow.

• Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,883
    220 to 400 wtf
  • Options

DavidL said:

Pulpstar said:

Cooper bill falls.

No woinder I am lost.
    Guardian was wrong - now corrected
  • Options

DavidL said:

Pulpstar said:

Cooper bill falls.

No woinder I am lost.
    Grauniad got it wrong. No shock there.

That was the result on Amendment 21 (Tabled by George Eustice, opposed by Cooper)
  • Options
    I'd far rather listen to Lindsay Hoyle's dulcet tones, than Bercow's braying.

• Options
    IanB2 said:

It will go down by about 200 as well. This is becoming a rout.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,369

Are you a fan of Geoffrey Cox's BIG voice? :lol:
  • Options

DavidL said:

Pulpstar said:

Cooper bill falls.

No woinder I am lost.
    Guardian what you doing reading that??
  • Options
    edited April 2019

DougSeal said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Ishmael_Z said:

isam said:

Please don't call me dumb. First, I'm not; secondly it's rude; thirdly it gives me an opening to say that i have always rated your contributions to this site as A1 for effort, but C3 for thinking skills. I wouldn't normally say that, but you started it

Yet more false statements. The legal profession appears to have a real issue with people unable to tell the truth these days. Sure you are not an MP as well? That would account for a lot.
    If it’s an untruth it’s only marginally so. You’ve used the word three times at one poster just this evening - twice just above. The level of your incivility is exacerbated by your unoriginality. Thesaurus.com and others are available.
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    DavidL said:

IanB2 said:

I didn't really understand that last one, which was out of line with the other votes. I would have thought the majority would have supported the government having that flexibility. Unless MPs are now adamant anything must go through Parliament.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

DougSeal said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Ishmael_Z said:

isam said:

I don't think Richard's ever called me dumb and I've been here 12 years. :D
    Nor me. I feel slighted.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

IanB2 said:

ERG losing it all !!!!
  • Options

He doesn't create unnecessary additional complexities in the tax code? It's a pretty short list, mind.
  • Options
    edited April 2019

It seems crazy that they insist on sticking with "me, me, me" Bercow when they've got the fabulous Lindsay waiting in the wings...
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

DougSeal said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Ishmael_Z said:

isam said:

Please don't call me dumb. First, I'm not; secondly it's rude; thirdly it gives me an opening to say that i have always rated your contributions to this site as A1 for effort, but C3 for thinking skills. I wouldn't normally say that, but you started it

If it’s an untruth it’s only a marginally so. You’ve used the word three times at one poster just this evening - twice just above. The level of your incivility is exacerbated by your unoriginality. Thesaurus.com and others are available.
    You can always tell the poor authors who have eaten a Thesaurus. Repeating the same word whilst commenting on the use of that word is not, in any way, overuse. Please try harder.
  • Options
    As a distraction from the House of Horrors:

"How the mayor of South Bend became a surprisingly serious contender in the 2020 Democratic primary race."

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2019/4/3/18282638/pete-buttigieg-mayor-pete-pronounce-explained
  • Options

DavidL said:

IanB2 said:

ERG losing it all !!!!
    Remainer Parliament putting two fingers up at Brexiteers.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

IanB2 said:

I'd hope the majority would see tying ourselves to a date isn't helpful
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    Looks like this could go on for getting on to midnight
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,043

Ishmael_Z said:

Ishmael_Z said:

isam said:

I hope you didn't suggest taking the views of the 48% into account to archer101au - he would have had an aneurysm.
  • Options

DavidL said:

IanB2 said:

ERG losing it all !!!!
    They had their chance and became gready
  • Options

DavidL said:

IanB2 said:

ERG losing it all !!!!
    It's May's best chance. If she manages to contrive MV4 (or 3 on some measures) surely every one of them will support it at last having seen the Brexit wagon approach the precipice. Whether that will be enough by then without Corbyn's help remains to be seen.
  • Options

"How the mayor of South Bend became a surprisingly serious contender in the 2020 Democratic primary race."

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2019/4/3/18282638/pete-buttigieg-mayor-pete-pronounce-explained

If he doesn't have any skeletons and doesn't stick his foot in his mouth he looks like a very good candidate. He certainly seems to be reasonable and measured and singularly lacking in ideology for its own sake.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    "On the edge". :lol:

Let me know when they actually type up their pathetic whinny resignation letters.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Ishmael_Z said:

isam said:

I hope you didn't suggest taking the views of the 48% into account to archer101au - he would have had an aneurysm.

Wonder what archer would make of all this? :D
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Is anyone being "on the edge" of resigning really news nowadays?
  • Options
    I think we should have the European Elections, but then leave the day before the first session of the new EP. Ideally, the new MEPs would have caught the Eurostar to Brussels, and would have to turn straight around and come home.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

DavidL said:

IanB2 said:

Curse of IT departments everywhere - clients who only have a vague idea what they want, but know precisely when they want it.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    edited April 2019
    Theory: the whole May-Corbyn talks thing that so many people are getting excited about doesn't represent some magical new path to BINO. It's just a cynical ruse to run the clock down again.

May is trying to run most of the remaining time down, and leave the Commons with no alternative plan to present to the European Council on the 10th. They then have to pass the Deal, or else only No Deal or Revoke are left as options, both of which MPs loathe even more. Also, if it does end up being No Deal or Revoke in the end, she can try to pin some of the blame on Corbyn for being an arse. Or something.

Corbyn has all kinds of potential wins out of this process. He can look statesmanlike by apparently engaging with the cross-party process. He can then blame May for being an arse (or something) when it breaks down. He can ask - or at least, be reported as having asked - for the People's Vote, muddying the waters on whether he really wants the option or not (useful for fence sitting between Leave and Remain Labour voters.) If the process ends in No Deal then he can blame May's failure to engage with his wonderful ideas for anything and everything that goes wrong (whilst being secretly pleased that we are rid of the whole EU project, as his Palaeosocialist faction has never much liked it.) If he's really lucky, either No Deal or Revoke blows one of the wings off the Tory Party and it falls out of the sky, crashes and bursts into flames.

Anyway, more pointless chin-wagging tomorrow, Parliament (presumably) won't sit on Friday, then it's the weekend (posturing in the Sunday papers and on the Andrew Marr Show,) and by the time MPs come back and realise it was all just a game it'll already be Monday 8th.

If they still insist they won't swallow the Withdrawal Agreement then, to get any kind of plan B to the European Council in time to win a long extension, they need to find a majority for it no later than Tuesday 9th.

So, no pressure, then.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Ishmael_Z said:

isam said:

Sadly I think I may have done :)
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

IanB2 said:

ERG losing it all !!!!
    It's May's best chance. If she manages to contrive MV4 (or 3 on some measures) surely every one of them will support it at last having seen the Brexit wagon approach the precipice. Whether that will be enough by then without Corbyn's help remains to be seen.
    The ERG, think MV + Deal is worse than being in the EU. I don't think ERG will now suddenly back that and the DUP would see hell freeze over before they back the May Deal!
  • Options

If he doesn't have any skeletons and doesn't stick his foot in his mouth he looks like a very good candidate. He certainly seems to be reasonable and measured and singularly lacking in ideology for its own sake.
    I am expecting a first debate surprise. But to be honest he is now 9 on BF for Dem nominee. Not sure I would go in at that price.
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

IanB2 said:

ERG losing it all !!!!
    If a lot of them are thinking like Farage (go for a long extension, get a new leader, get a new Parliament through a general election and press reset with the negotiations) then no I still don't think enough of them will vote for the deal.
  • Options

Are you a fan of Geoffrey Cox's BIG voice? :lol:
    Not really. I'm Lancastrian, hence I like to hear the tones of those from the red rose county.
  • Options
    kjohnwkjohnw Posts: 1,456

DavidL said:

IanB2 said:

ERG losing it all !!!!
    The tories face massacre in the ballot box for their betrayal of a referendum Cameron told us would be implemented
    https://www.facebook.com/1586671888254288/posts/2300387296882740?sfns=mo
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

rcs1000 said:

Wonder what archer would make of all this? :D
    He wasn't particularly keen on any deal of any kind with the EU. (Even if they paid us, and had to adopt all UK standards, it would still be a deal too far for him.)
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Scott_P said:
    Is anyone being "on the edge" of resigning really news nowadays?
    Only if it is Jezza!!!
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

DavidL said:

IanB2 said:

It's not our date though is it? Its the EU's date for when we have to either leave or take part in the less amusing version of the Eurovision Song contest.
  • Options
    kjohnw said:

DavidL said:

IanB2 said:

ERG losing it all !!!!
    The tories face massacre in the ballot box for their betrayal of a referendum Cameron told us would be implemented
    We will see when the GE comes around
  • Options

I am expecting a first debate surprise. But to be honest he is now 9 on BF for Dem nominee. Not sure I would go in at that price.
    Poll averages:

Biden 28.8
    Sanders 21.8
    Harris 9.8
    O'Rourke 9.2
    Warren 5.7
    Booker 3.2
    Buttigieg 2.3
    Klobuchar 1.7
    Yang 1.0
    Castro 1.0
    Hickenlooper 0.7
    Gillibrand 0.7
    Inslee 0.7
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979
    rcs1000 said:

I think we should have the European Elections, but then leave the day before the first session of the new EP. Ideally, the new MEPs would have caught the Eurostar to Brussels, and would have to turn straight around and come home.

Farage would of course claim the expenses! (That is if he is elected as I can see less enlightened people still thinking he is UKIP).
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,962
    Do you agree that opinion polls can be highly misleading?

http://ukpollingreport.co.uk/blog/archives/10054
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Exactly and I did say at the time they were premature
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

IanB2 said:

ERG losing it all !!!!
    If a lot of them are thinking like Farage (go for a long extension, get a new leader, get a new Parliament through a general election and press reset with the negotiations) then no I still don't think enough of them will vote for the deal.
    As I say, even if they did I think its too late. The remainer tails are up and they are determined to stop this completely. Corbyn is actually May's last chance. That's how desperate all this has got.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,097
    edited April 2019
    kjohnw said:

DavidL said:

IanB2 said:

ERG losing it all !!!!
    Most Tory MPs have already voted against revoke or EUref2 and indeed over half have already voted to Leave with No Deal, however in case you had not realised we have a hung Parliament, not a Tory majority of 150
  • Options

No one complaining about unemployment.
    No one complaining about inflation.
    No one complaining about high interest rates.
    Chancellors in the past would have given their eye teeth for that.
  • Options

Apparently his reelection video for Mayor was all about how much better the City had gotten at clearing snow under his watch.

I like that.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

kjohnw said:

DavidL said:

IanB2 said:

ERG losing it all !!!!
    Most Tory MPs have already voted against revoke or EUref2 and indeed over half have already voted to Leave with No Deal, however in case you had not realised we have a hung Parliament, not a Tory majority of 150
    Govt ammendment just fell by 180
This discussion has been closed.