Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Selling time. What passes for Theresa May’s strategy

Comments

• Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    Christ, Kirsty Wark is such a dire interviewer.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,742

I struggle to find any redeeming qualities in Phillip Hammond.

No one complaining about unemployment.
    No one complaining about inflation.
    No one complaining about high interest rates.
    Chancellors in the past would have given their eye teeth for that.
    He is the only adult in the room at Cabinet, which is why he is hated by the Brexiteers.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,873
    edited April 2019
    HYUFD said:

kjohnw said:

DavidL said:

IanB2 said:

Division on Brexiter amendment to limit any extension to 22 May

It will go down by about 200 as well. This is becoming a rout.
    ERG losing it all !!!!
    Remainer Parliament putting two fingers up at Brexiteers.
    They had their chance and became gready
    The tories face massacre in the ballot box for their betrayal of a referendum Cameron told us would be implemented
    https://www.facebook.com/1586671888254288/posts/2300387296882740?sfns=mo
    Most Tory MPs have already voted against revoke or EUref2 and indeed over half have already voted to Leave with No Deal, however in case you had not realised we have a hung Parliament, not a Tory majority of 150
    Hate to break it to you but people really don't care what Con MPs voted for or what the Parliamentary arthirmatic happens to be.

All they see is the Tory government and a Prime Minister who never wanted to leave in the first place presiding over a process to stop Brexit.

Who carries the can then electorally? The Tories do!
  • Options
    kjohnwkjohnw Posts: 1,456
    HYUFD said:

kjohnw said:

DavidL said:

IanB2 said:

ERG losing it all !!!!
    The tories face massacre in the ballot box for their betrayal of a referendum Cameron told us would be implemented
    Most Tory MPs have already voted against revoke or EUref2 and indeed over half have already voted to Leave with No Deal, however in case you had not realised we have a hung Parliament, not a Tory majority of 150
    Yes and a Remainer pm and chancellor who did not listen to her ministers who actually campaigned to leave rather than hiding in the shadows like TM
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979
    IanB2 said:

Scott_P said:
    Is anyone being "on the edge" of resigning really news nowadays?
    Chris Grayling threatened it the other day, you would think with his record as Sec. of State he would be cautious as most bosses would jump at the chance to get rid of someone failing as much as he has done.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,325
    edited April 2019
    Leaver amendment limiting any extension to 22 May falls 123 v 488. Good measure of ERG support.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,098
    edited April 2019
    Commons votes by 123 to 488 to allow May to extend beyond May 21st if needed and thus to allow UK participation in the European Parliament elections if required
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

Scott_P said:
    Exactly and I did say at the time they were premature
    Though they were right. May should have gone then.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,356

HYUFD said:

kjohnw said:

DavidL said:

IanB2 said:

ERG losing it all !!!!
    Govt ammendment just fell by 180
    Second biggest defeat of a government amendment ever, apparently. Second only to the MV. This government is setting records that will last a lot longer than it will.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Leaver amendment limiting any extension to 22 May falls 123 v 488

Tonight the ERG must realise the game is up (mind you they do not do thought)
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Tonight parliament sticks two fingers up at 17.4 million voters
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Remainers want to remain Who knew!!!! :D
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    Division on new ERG clause ruling out changes to SOs during future extension debates (to protect ability to filibuster)
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

isam said:

Fiona’s vote tipped the balance tonight?

Seems like it. Would have been a 311-311 tie if she'd not voted. Despicable.
    No, she was absent for the critical 312-311 vote.

https://commonsvotes.digiminster.com/Divisions/Details/672?byMember=false#notrecorded
    Oh. Odd.
    Looking forward to your denunciation of the fraudster Chris Davies being one of the 311.
    I denounce it. He should have taken the Chiltern Hundreds as soon as he was convicted.

Happy now?
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Francois will be the last one in the bunker.
  • Options
    DruttDrutt Posts: 1,093
    Pulpstar said:

As a distraction from the House of Horrors:

"How the mayor of South Bend became a surprisingly serious contender in the 2020 Democratic primary race."

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2019/4/3/18282638/pete-buttigieg-mayor-pete-pronounce-explained

If he doesn't have any skeletons and doesn't stick his foot in his mouth he looks like a very good candidate. He certainly seems to be reasonable and measured and singularly lacking in ideology for its own sake.
    I am expecting a first debate surprise. But to be honest he is now 9 on BF for Dem nominee. Not sure I would go in at that price.
    Poll averages:

Biden 28.8
    Sanders 21.8
    Harris 9.8
    O'Rourke 9.2
    Warren 5.7
    Booker 3.2
    Buttigieg 2.3
    Klobuchar 1.7
    Yang 1.0
    Castro 1.0
    Hickenlooper 0.7
    Gillibrand 0.7
    Inslee 0.7
    Mayor Pete Butt-Edge-Edge is terrific value as a trading bet at about 10s or 12s. As soon as he declares formally he's 7s-ish , maybe as low as 5s
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,044
    Pulpstar said:

"How the mayor of South Bend became a surprisingly serious contender in the 2020 Democratic primary race."

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2019/4/3/18282638/pete-buttigieg-mayor-pete-pronounce-explained

If he doesn't have any skeletons and doesn't stick his foot in his mouth he looks like a very good candidate. He certainly seems to be reasonable and measured and singularly lacking in ideology for its own sake.
    I am expecting a first debate surprise. But to be honest he is now 9 on BF for Dem nominee. Not sure I would go in at that price.
    Poll averages:

Biden 28.8
    Sanders 21.8
    Harris 9.8
    O'Rourke 9.2
    Warren 5.7
    Booker 3.2
    Buttigieg 2.3
    Klobuchar 1.7
    Yang 1.0
    Castro 1.0
    Hickenlooper 0.7
    Gillibrand 0.7
    Inslee 0.7
    Well, with Biden not standing, and Sanders managing to cut his head in the shower and looking even older than he is, the field is wide open.

My view:

Beto is this year's Rubio. Young and theoretically looks good, but an empty suit. Sell.
    Harris: With Biden and Sanders out (yeah, sue me), she's probably rightly the front runner. Hold.
    Warren: unpopular even in her own state. Sell.
    Booker. Who?
    Buttigieg. Could be...
    Klobuchar. Could be...
    Yang. Please god no.
    Castro. If he makes it to the debate, he'll get a good bounce. Impressive guy. A buy here.
    Hickenlooper. Fingers crossed...
    Gillibrand. Who?
    Insless. Who?
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,221
    isam said:

isam said:

There seems to be an assumption that the people who voted Leave didn't know what they were voting for, and didn't really want to leave the EU... if we were to accept that argument, and the establishment managed somehow to wriggle out of actually leaving, what would they do to address the concerns of the majority of 2016 referendum voters?

It seems to me that a "business as usual" / "pretend it never happened" attitude prevails, the formation of Chuka/TIG being the most glaring example.

"...what would they do to address the concerns of the majority of 2016 referendum voters?"

Anyone?
    You raise a very good point. I think this is worthy of a thread header. How do you think these concerns should be addressed?
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    They were not right and their stupid action put TM in charge until December

Brexiteers are just not good at thinking
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,883
    New entry for 2nd largest ever Government defeat ever ever ever.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Commons votes by 123 to 488 to allow May to extend beyond May 21st if needed and thus to allow UK participation in the European Parliament elections if required

Correction. TM to request (not allow). The EU will decide and it could be brutal the way this is going
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    kjohnw said:

IanB2 said:

Hysterical over reaction . Can we just leave in an orderly way with a deal , why is this such a controversial position amongst some Leavers .
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,965
    You're all taking a very different view to the Democrat elections in the US than me. Let's see :)
  • Options
    Tonight brexit has died ands faith in democracy and politicians in general has bit the dust . 17.4 million voters betrayed by a remain parliament
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

HYUFD said:

kjohnw said:

DavidL said:

IanB2 said:

ERG losing it all !!!!
    Hate to break it to you but people really don't care what Con MPs voted for or what the Parliamentary arthirmatic happens to be.

All they see is the Tory government and a Prime Minister who never wanted to leave in the first place presiding over a process to stop Brexit.

May will not be leading the Tories at the next election, most likely the members will elect a hard Brexiteer like Boris, Raab or Patel.

However at the moment my main focus is trying to stop No Deal and the threat of the breakup of the Union and deep damage to the economy, those are irreversible or very hard to reverse while we will always have a centre right or rightwing party of some form whatever happens with Brexit
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

isam said:

isam said:

There seems to be an assumption that the people who voted Leave didn't know what they were voting for, and didn't really want to leave the EU... if we were to accept that argument, and the establishment managed somehow to wriggle out of actually leaving, what would they do to address the concerns of the majority of 2016 referendum voters?

It seems to me that a "business as usual" / "pretend it never happened" attitude prevails, the formation of Chuka/TIG being the most glaring example.

"...what would they do to address the concerns of the majority of 2016 referendum voters?"

Anyone?
    You raise a very good point. I think this is worthy of a thread header. How do you think these concerns should be addressed?
    Why on Earth would anyone in the political class give a **** about why people voted to leave?

You see the sneering arrogance about Leavers all the time. They think they;re the scum of the Earth and if they could find a way to take the franchise away from them altogether they would...
  • Options
    nico67 said:

kjohnw said:

IanB2 said:

Hysterical over reaction . Can we just leave in an orderly way with a deal , why is this such a controversial position amongst some Leavers .
    They aren’t trying to leave in an orderly way they are trying to remain in the EU
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    kjohnw said:

Tonight brexit has died ands faith in democracy and politicians in general has bit the dust . 17.4 million voters betrayed by a remain parliament

Had the ERG voted for the Deal in the first place we would have left the EU last Friday and not be in perpetual EU purgatory
  • Options
    kjohnw said:

Nonsense. It is simply an attempt to rule out a no deal exit, that was never offered to people in the first place.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

They were right which too many stupid Tory MPs who didn't realise it yet now realise.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

kjohnw said:

Had the ERG voted for the Deal in the first place we would have left the EU last Friday and not be in perpetual EU purgatory
    Had labour not opposed Tm deal just for the sake of opposing for political gain we would have left by now . Labour has also blocked brexit more so than dup or erg
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Pulpstar said:

Poll averages:

Biden 28.8
    Sanders 21.8
    Harris 9.8
    O'Rourke 9.2
    Warren 5.7
    Booker 3.2
    Buttigieg 2.3
    Klobuchar 1.7
    Yang 1.0
    Castro 1.0
    Hickenlooper 0.7
    Gillibrand 0.7
    Inslee 0.7
    Well, with Biden not standing, and Sanders managing to cut his head in the shower and looking even older than he is, the field is wide open.

My view:

Beto is this year's Rubio. Young and theoretically looks good, but an empty suit. Sell.
    Harris: With Biden and Sanders out (yeah, sue me), she's probably rightly the front runner. Hold.
    Booker. Who?
    Buttigieg. Could be...
    Klobuchar. Could be...
    Yang. Please god no.
    Castro. If he makes it to the debate, he'll get a good bounce. Impressive guy. A buy here.
    Gillibrand. Who?
    Insless. Who?
    Harris is not frontrunner, Sanders is, he already has almost 3 times the support of Harris, better organisation in Iowa and NH and most of Biden's votes will go to Sanders not Harris as polling shows Sanders is Biden voters second preference
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,877
    Cyclefree said:

isam said:

isam said:

Anyone?
    I imagine the answer will be More Europe.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

kjohnw said:

The Deal is perpetual EU purgatory.

"If you had already eaten this shit sandwich I wouldn't be forcing you to eat this shit sandwich"
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

Here's your piece from 26th June 2016

http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2016/06/26/richard-tyndall-on-the-exit-strategy/

So many banned users in the comments! :open_mouth:

Just had a look back at the comments myself. Was Hunchman the one who kept claiming there was an office in some London street with a million (I exaggerate) registered businesses which was the centre of some great evil masterplan?
    Yes.

And he kept forecasting "The Great Sovereign Debt Crisis" that his Elliot Waves predicted.
  • Options
    5 Cabinet Ministers on edge of resignation. TND
  • Options
    In the 220-400 vote, Steve Baker and Bernard Jenkin were in the Noe lobby !

Labour Ayes Flint, Mann, Snell
    DUP Aye Pengelly
    Tory Ayes : Payroll + Some ERG (Chope)
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

HYUFD said:

kjohnw said:

DavidL said:

IanB2 said:

ERG losing it all !!!!

May will not be leading the Tories at the next election, most likely the members will elect a hard Brexiteer like Boris, Raab or Patel.

However at the moment my main focus is trying to stop No Deal and the threat of the breakup of the Union and deep damage to the economy, those are irreversible or very hard to reverse while we will always have a centre right or rightwing party of some form whatever happens with Brexit
    On the same page over no deal
  • Options
    The big question is whether they can get to third reading tonight. The leavers are trying to call votes on everything for a reason. Hoyle so far doing a good job in keeping a lid on things.
  • Options

Leadsom, Mourdant, Fox, (obviously not Gove as that snake will never resign) who would the other two be?
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,283
    rcs1000 said:

Pulpstar said:

Poll averages:

Biden 28.8
    Sanders 21.8
    Harris 9.8
    O'Rourke 9.2
    Warren 5.7
    Booker 3.2
    Buttigieg 2.3
    Klobuchar 1.7
    Yang 1.0
    Castro 1.0
    Hickenlooper 0.7
    Gillibrand 0.7
    Inslee 0.7

My view:

Booker. Who?
    Buttigieg. Could be...
    Klobuchar. Could be...
    Yang. Please god no.
    Gillibrand. Who?
    Insless. Who?
    Insless? I genuinely did a who there!
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

GIN1138 said:

Here's your piece from 26th June 2016

http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2016/06/26/richard-tyndall-on-the-exit-strategy/

So many banned users in the comments! :open_mouth:

Just had a look back at the comments myself. Was Hunchman the one who kept claiming there was an office in some London street with a million (I exaggerate) registered businesses which was the centre of some great evil masterplan?
    Yes.

And he kept forecasting "The Great Sovereign Debt Crisis" that his Elliot Waves predicted.
    Oh yes, which was always going to hit next October. Unless it was now October/November in which case it was now going to be NEXT October.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

kjohnw said:

Exactly.
  • Options
    edited April 2019

HYUFD said:

Correction. TM to request (not allow). The EU will decide and it could be brutal the way this is going
    The main EU criteria for indefinite extension is the UK contests the EU Parliament elections, tonight's vote enables that and extension beyond May 22nd, that is very, very significant.

The other thing the EU asked for is for some indication of what the UK Parliament will back, the indicative votes help with that and May has already said she will effectively just go to the EU with what gets most votes in Parliament, majority or not and the EU has ultimately said it is negotiating with May, Parliament is just needed for the ratification. EU purgatory here we come
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

Pulpstar said:

Poll averages:

Biden 28.8
    Sanders 21.8
    Harris 9.8
    O'Rourke 9.2
    Warren 5.7
    Booker 3.2
    Buttigieg 2.3
    Klobuchar 1.7
    Yang 1.0
    Castro 1.0
    Hickenlooper 0.7
    Gillibrand 0.7
    Inslee 0.7

My view:

Booker. Who?
    Buttigieg. Could be...
    Klobuchar. Could be...
    Yang. Please god no.
    Gillibrand. Who?
    Insless. Who?
    Harris is not frontrunner, Sanders is, he already has almost 3 times the support of Harris, better organisation in Iowa and NH and most of Biden's votes will go to Sanders not Harris as polling shows Sanders is Biden voters second preference
    And so we get a Trump 2nd term.

Great work guys.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

The big question is whether they can get to third reading tonight. The leavers are trying to call votes on everything for a reason. Hoyle so far doing a good job in keeping a lid on things.

Does parliament have a cut off time ?
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    Pulpstar said:

DUP Aye Pengelly

That would explain the suddenly large margin. The vote was opposed by the opposition mis-trusting the government and the ERG not wanting to leave the government more ways to extend. The 220 is the government loyalist vote.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

kjohnw said:

Exactly.
    Yeh, but, no, but the unicorns are over there etc etc.

What a set of tw*ts.
  • Options
    I wonder where we can transfer this "if you had consented to that which you don't consent, we wouldn't have forced something else on you" logic too.

"I only raped that woman your honour because she didn't consent to have sex with me"
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,114
    Hammond: "We are at an inflection point in our nation. We have to make a decision whether we are going to leave the European Union."
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    Is Mr Meeks looking at things dispassionately or writing about what he hopes to happen.....
  • Options
    edited April 2019

Hammond: "We are at an inflection point in our nation. We have to make a decision whether we are going to leave the European Union."

F**k Off Hammond.

We made that decision three years ago.
  • Options

We MADE a decision in 2016 sweet cheeks. :D
  • Options

We the people made that decision in 2016
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,221
    Scott_P said:
    Would it be unpardonably frivolous of me to say that Corbyn’s new glasses really suit him? And that he is really quite fine looking for a 70 year old (tho’ his teeth could do with straightening)?
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Leadsom, Mourdant, Fox, (obviously not Gove as that snake will never resign) who would the other two be?
    Fox won't resign, as he's thrown his lot in with May. (And he's embarassed he's done such a poor job rolling over existing trade deals.)

Grayling is, I'm sure, on the verge of resignation.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

kjohnw said:

The Deal is perpetual EU purgatory.

"If you had already eaten this shit sandwich I wouldn't be forcing you to eat this shit sandwich"
    To be honest I would prefer EU purgatory for the rest of my lifetime than No Deal, I will accept Brexit with a Deal of any form but am very reluctant to accept No Deal
  • Options

Scott_P said:

You signed up for #CorbynsCustomsUnion yet?
  • Options
    Marco1Marco1 Posts: 34
    Have to say that Jezza could not have done a better job of sh@f$ing the Conservatives than May. The MPs do not seem to realise they are totally frit...no more fat pay cheques, pensions, expenses etc. Once it slowly dawns they will start their CV updates asap and they will be looking for new careers before they leave the HoC...maybe also some northern Labour MPs as well.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    kjohnw said:

DavidL said:

IanB2 said:

ERG losing it all !!!!
    What the rest of the world is seeing is a Tory pm absolutely bloody desperate to enact the referendum result.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

IanB2 said:

Normally 7.30 pm but that has clearly been extended already for this debate. I expect it must be possible to suspend SOs to sit for longer, but i am not sure.

There is some business due after this, which will surely fall
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Scott_P said:
    Would it be unpardonably frivolous of me to say that Corbyn’s new glasses really suit him? And that he is really quite fine looking for a 70 year old (tho’ his teeth could do with straightening)?
    He's taken Cameron's mother's advise on smartening up.

He's still a dogmatic socialist, but he looks Prime Ministerial now.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,969
    nico67 said:

kjohnw said:

IanB2 said:

I have no idea what tonight's votes mean but I agree with your sentiment.
  • Options
    kjohnw said:

HYUFD said:

kjohnw said:

Had labour not opposed Tm deal just for the sake of opposing for political gain we would have left by now . Labour has also blocked brexit more so than dup or erg
    10 to 15 Labour MPs were ready to back May's Deal last Friday until they saw it would lose thanks to the ERG and chickened out, there is no point rebelling if you lose
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

The main EU criteria for indefinite extension is the UK contests the EU Parliament elections, tonight's vote enables that and extension beyond May 22nd, that is very, very significant.

The other thing the EU asked for is for some indication of what the UK Parliament will back, the indicative votes help with that and May has already said she will effectively just go to the EU with what gets most votes in Parliament, majority or not and the EU has ultimately said it is negotiating with May, Parliament is just needed for the ratification. EU purgatory here we come
    The EU require the WDA passed by a majority by monday or it is a referendum, GE or revoke

Continuing to argue over brexit is not acceptable to the EU
  • Options
    Hammond on ITV says No Deal poses huge threat to the Union and UK economy and everything possible must be done to stop it
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

GIN1138 said:

Fox won't resign, as he's thrown his lot in with May. (And he's embarassed he's done such a poor job rolling over existing trade deals.)

Grayling is surely due to be sacked whoever replaces May anyway.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

GIN1138 said:

Despite all his empty ferries plying back and forth each day?
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979

Scott_P said:

They were right which too many stupid Tory MPs who didn't realise it yet now realise.
    Tory MPs can be too clever by half sometimes! I mean the 2001 leadership election for instance, they put Ken Clarke and IDS in the run off. I voted for Ken Clarke despite his European views and the problems it may cause within PCP as I did not think IDS was a serious politician then or now or anytime between.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    The Guardian Live blog is normally excellent, with Andrew Sparrow writing it. But he's gone home and the substitute is hopeless.
  • Options
    Hammond also says will include ideas from Labour in any amended PD for the Deal whatever Corbyn decides on the final Deal
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

Pulpstar said:

Poll averages:

Biden 28.8
    Sanders 21.8
    Harris 9.8
    O'Rourke 9.2
    Warren 5.7
    Booker 3.2
    Buttigieg 2.3
    Klobuchar 1.7
    Yang 1.0
    Castro 1.0
    Hickenlooper 0.7
    Gillibrand 0.7
    Inslee 0.7

My view:

Booker. Who?
    Buttigieg. Could be...
    Klobuchar. Could be...
    Yang. Please god no.
    Gillibrand. Who?
    Insless. Who?
    Look at this image and tell me that Sanders is a front runner:

• Options
    Pulpstar said:

IanB2 said:

00.30 isn't it.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

The EU require the WDA passed by a majority by monday or it is a referendum, GE or revoke

That is not necessarily true, the only conclusion of the EU27 at the European Council was for further extension the UK must contest the European Parliament elections and Parliament give some indication of what it would back, ultimately they decide, whatever EU bureaucrats may say afterwards
  • Options

Scott_P said:

You signed up for #CorbynsCustomsUnion yet?
    Ken Clarke's indicative vote actually but for me any deal from TM to Norway passes now
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

kjohnw said:

HYUFD said:

kjohnw said:

10 to 15 Labour MPs were ready to back May's Deal last Friday until they saw it would lose thanks to the ERG and chickened out, there is no point rebelling if you lose
    Had corbyn acted in the national interest we would have left by now. But TM deal is not great and she could have got a better deal if she had listened to her cabinet
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

Pulpstar said:

Poll averages:

Biden 28.8
    Sanders 21.8
    Harris 9.8
    O'Rourke 9.2
    Warren 5.7
    Booker 3.2
    Buttigieg 2.3
    Klobuchar 1.7
    Yang 1.0
    Castro 1.0
    Hickenlooper 0.7
    Gillibrand 0.7
    Inslee 0.7

My view:

Booker. Who?
    Buttigieg. Could be...
    Klobuchar. Could be...
    Yang. Please god no.
    Gillibrand. Who?
    Insless. Who?

Trump need not even turn up to the debates.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

Pulpstar said:

Poll averages:

Biden 28.8
    Sanders 21.8
    Harris 9.8
    O'Rourke 9.2
    Warren 5.7
    Booker 3.2
    Buttigieg 2.3
    Klobuchar 1.7
    Yang 1.0
    Castro 1.0
    Hickenlooper 0.7
    Gillibrand 0.7
    Inslee 0.7

My view:

Booker. Who?
    Buttigieg. Could be...
    Klobuchar. Could be...
    Yang. Please god no.
    Gillibrand. Who?
    Insless. Who?

Easily, he is what the Democratic base wants.

Plenty of even Presidents have had bandages from time to time
  • Options
    ERG pro-filibuster amendment falls 105 v 509
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Tory MPs can be too clever by half sometimes! I mean the 2001 leadership election for instance, they put Ken Clarke and IDS in the run off. I voted for Ken Clarke despite his European views and the problems it may cause within PCP as I did not think IDS was a serious politician then or now or anytime between.
    That's where I disagree totally with the idea of "war gaming" one's vote. You almost always end up outsmarting yourself. If you want something, vote for it. If you don't want it, vote against it.
  • Options
    105-509
  • Options
    edited April 2019

Cyclefree said:

Scott_P said:
    He's taken Cameron's mother's advise on smartening up.

He's still a dogmatic socialist, but he looks Prime Ministerial now.
    Can't believe they didn't get a money shot of him arriving at and going into Downing St to tell Theresa May what's what though.

That was very poor... Can you imagine Blair and Ali Campbell not milking a moment like that for all its worth?

Jezza does need to up his game on the media side. In 2017 the amateurishness of it all had a certain charm especially against the Maybot but I don't think that will wash again for Labour in another election.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Cyclefree said:

Scott_P said:
    He looks the part. Just imagine this. He gets in and does well. Tory nightmare.
  • Options
    Government amendment making it easier to align UK law with an extension goes through on the nod.

Third reading!
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    IanB2 said:

It is increasingly looking on tonight's votes even if we end up with final votes on No Deal or Revoke, No Deal at most will get about 200 if slightly less, Revoke would get around 400 and win
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Indeed. I first joined the Party after the 2001 election as I was that disgusted by IDS beating Ckarke and wanted a vote next time. Voted Cameron in 2005. Membership has lapsed now so won't be voting this year (it's probably already too late to rejoin and get a vote I guess).
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    Jonathan said:

Cyclefree said:

Scott_P said:
    Why Tory nightmare? It would be a massive relief. Unfortunately there's zero hope that he'd do well.
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    Bercow back in the chair as the house comes out of committee

Objections from ERG to third reading
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    Pulpstar said:

DUP Aye Pengelly

Ugh, Gareth Snell is just the worst. Atleast Caroline Flint and John Mann were man/woman enough to make a choice and vote for May's deal; I think Snell might be the only MP who has basically voted for nothing (he was against May's deal, against No Deal, against a referendum, against the Common Market, mostly against extensions).
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Hammond also says will include ideas from Labour in any amended PD for the Deal whatever Corbyn decides on the final Deal

Hammond would plainly prefer to revoke A50, but I think most of the Cabinet disagree.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

It is increasingly looking on tonight's votes even if we end up with final votes on No Deal or Revoke, No Deal at most will get about 200 if slightly less, Revoke would get around 400 and win
    No Deal v Extension absolutely.

No Deal v Revoke would be a totally different game.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

That is not necessarily true, the only conclusion of the EU27 at the European Council was for further extension the UK must contest the European Parliament elections and Parliament give some indication of what it would back, ultimately they decide, whatever EU bureaucrats may say afterwards
    It is true but then on this we must disagree
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151
    HYUFD said:

most of Biden's votes will go to Sanders not Harris as polling shows Sanders is Biden voters second preference

Did you piss off an old gypsy psephologist lady because you seem to be cursed with knowing what all the polling numbers are, but not knowing what any of them mean
  • Options
    Division on third reading
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Tonight is the night ERG have been reduced to a rump of bitter losers
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137
    Jonathan said:

Cyclefree said:

Scott_P said:
    If he "gets in and does well", it will because of 200 of his MPs staying his hand......
  • Options
    Which amendments passed?
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Not all the tabled amendments were taken, as per the announcement at the beginning of the committee session. I expect Rentoul is working from the BBC's full list.
This discussion has been closed.