Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Selling time. What passes for Theresa May’s strategy

Comments

• Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,860

IanB2 said:

ERG pro-filibuster amendment falls 105 v 509

Tonight is the night ERG have been reduced to a rump of bitter losers
    They always knew they were going to lose all of the amendments? They've just been trying to delay and filibuster the night away?
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,875
    HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

It is increasingly looking on tonight's votes even if we end up with final votes on No Deal or Revoke, No Deal at most will get about 200 if slightly less, Revoke would get around 400 and win
    I think it would be closer to the result on the Second Reading. Any Conservative who votes Revoke is bringing their career to an end.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    There's a certain fascination in this new craze of speed-legislating.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

most of Biden's votes will go to Sanders not Harris as polling shows Sanders is Biden voters second preference

Did you piss off an old gypsy psephologist lady because you seem to be cursed with knowing what all the polling numbers are, but not knowing what any of them mean
    That is so funny
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

IanB2 said:

No 23/6/17 was the night it happened. When May's incompetence ensured the saboteurs won and the Remainers had a majority in Parliament.

Don't expect this Parliament to have the last word though.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,325
    edited April 2019

Which amendments passed?

The correcting ones from the movers, and all of the government's apart from the one protecting its right to see extension in other circumstances. The other amendments were all ERG and all lost.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,962
    Cyclefree said:

isam said:

isam said:

There seems to be an assumption that the people who voted Leave didn't know what they were voting for, and didn't really want to leave the EU... if we were to accept that argument, and the establishment managed somehow to wriggle out of actually leaving, what would they do to address the concerns of the majority of 2016 referendum voters?

It seems to me that a "business as usual" / "pretend it never happened" attitude prevails, the formation of Chuka/TIG being the most glaring example.

"...what would they do to address the concerns of the majority of 2016 referendum voters?"

Anyone?
    You raise a very good point. I think this is worthy of a thread header. How do you think these concerns should be addressed?
    Thank you.

I think it is impossible to address those concerns whilst we are a member of the EU, because the concerns all stem from FOM, which appears to be non negotiable. But I’d be interested to hear how people who want to ignore the result would deal with them
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Which amendments passed?

The correcting ones from the movers, and all of the government's apart from the one protecting its right to see extension in other circumstances.
    Thanks.
  • Options
    Self-styled hardman!

• Options
    isam said:

Cyclefree said:

isam said:

isam said:

There seems to be an assumption that the people who voted Leave didn't know what they were voting for, and didn't really want to leave the EU... if we were to accept that argument, and the establishment managed somehow to wriggle out of actually leaving, what would they do to address the concerns of the majority of 2016 referendum voters?

It seems to me that a "business as usual" / "pretend it never happened" attitude prevails, the formation of Chuka/TIG being the most glaring example.

"...what would they do to address the concerns of the majority of 2016 referendum voters?"

Anyone?
    You raise a very good point. I think this is worthy of a thread header. How do you think these concerns should be addressed?
    Thank you.

I think it is impossible to address those concerns whilst we are a member of the EU, because the concerns all stem from FOM, which appears to be non negotiable. But I’d be interested to hear how people who want to ignore the result would deal with them
    On FOM as the number of new EU migrants has fallen, the number of non-EU migrants has risen, demonstrating that we need the workers regardless. So stopping immigration was never going to happen, Brexit or no.
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    isam said:

Cyclefree said:

isam said:

isam said:

Anyone?
    Thank you.

They won't deal with them and they have no desire to. They think they're the scum of the Earth and if they could take their vote away from them and throw them in the workhouse they would...
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,883

Scott_P said:
    Exactly and I did say at the time they were premature
    Though they were right. May should have gone then.
    They were not right and their stupid action put TM in charge until December

Brexiteers are just not good at thinking
    You signed up for #CorbynsCustomsUnion yet?
    Ken Clarke's indicative vote actually but for me any deal from TM to Norway passes now
    Good #ClarkesCustomsUnion
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    Scott_P said:
    So is Fox for or against? Not obvious from Watt's tweet?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,113

Scott_P said:

You signed up for #CorbynsCustomsUnion yet?
    Ken Clarke's indicative vote actually but for me any deal from TM to Norway passes now
    Good #ClarkesCustomsUnion
    #ClarkeCorbynCustomsProposal or #CCCP
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,043
    Sean_F said:

Scott_P said:

They were right which too many stupid Tory MPs who didn't realise it yet now realise.
    Tory MPs can be too clever by half sometimes! I mean the 2001 leadership election for instance, they put Ken Clarke and IDS in the run off. I voted for Ken Clarke despite his European views and the problems it may cause within PCP as I did not think IDS was a serious politician then or now or anytime between.
    That's where I disagree totally with the idea of "war gaming" one's vote. You almost always end up outsmarting yourself. If you want something, vote for it. If you don't want it, vote against it.
    You mean, if you want Brexit, you should vote for it?

That's a novel concept.
  • Options
    Judging from previous votes, this Third Reading could be close - maybe won by less than ten?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,097

HYUFD said:

most of Biden's votes will go to Sanders not Harris as polling shows Sanders is Biden voters second preference

Did you piss off an old gypsy psephologist lady because you seem to be cursed with knowing what all the polling numbers are, but not knowing what any of them mean
    As opposed to you I suppose who has some intrinsic understanding of everything.

Sanders is the same force as Corbyn, Brexit, Trump etc, Democratic voters finally want one of their own after the robotic, centrist, establishment Clinton many feel 'stole' the nomination and still lost and Harris is basically personality wise an African American Hillary
  • Options
    kjohnwkjohnw Posts: 1,456

IanB2 said:

No 23/6/17 was the night it happened. When May's incompetence ensured the saboteurs won and the Remainers had a majority in Parliament.

The anger in this country is rising , Parliament and MPs are seen as the blockers of brexit and out of touch with ordinary people . They want us to think again because they think we gave the wrong answer last time . They are destroying our democracy
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

It is increasingly looking on tonight's votes even if we end up with final votes on No Deal or Revoke, No Deal at most will get about 200 if slightly less, Revoke would get around 400 and win
    I think it would be closer to the result on the Second Reading. Any Conservative who votes Revoke is bringing their career to an end.
    As most likely would any Labour, LD or SNP or TIG MP who votes for No Deal or who refuses to vote for revoke knowing that that means No Deal. However more Tory MPs voted for Revoke on the indicative votes than Labour, LD or SNP or TIG MPs voted for No Deal. Revoke only needs a simple majority to pass.

The likes of Field, Greening etc would lose their seats anyway if they voted for No Deal
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

isam said:

Cyclefree said:

isam said:

isam said:

Anyone?
    Thank you.

They won't deal with them and they have no desire to. They think they're the scum of the Earth and if they could take their vote away from them and throw in the workhouse they would...
    The issue is that, insofar as there are policies to address the economic and regional imbalances, they are all in a Corbyn's manifesto, and not things that come naturally to the Tories, despite May's warm words on taking office.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

Scott_P said:

They were right which too many stupid Tory MPs who didn't realise it yet now realise.
    Tory MPs can be too clever by half sometimes! I mean the 2001 leadership election for instance, they put Ken Clarke and IDS in the run off. I voted for Ken Clarke despite his European views and the problems it may cause within PCP as I did not think IDS was a serious politician then or now or anytime between.
    That's where I disagree totally with the idea of "war gaming" one's vote. You almost always end up outsmarting yourself. If you want something, vote for it. If you don't want it, vote against it.
    You mean, if you want Brexit, you should vote for it?

That's a novel concept.
    A great example. The ERG's behaviour has damaged the cause they say they support.
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    The ERG nut job amendment to force an exit on April 13 crashed and burned . 105 lunatics voted for it and should be sectioned !

Thankfully 509 MPs voted against .
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,279
    Telegraph headline is clever. Basically subliminal message to get rid of May and elect Boris, who would never invite jezza in for a chat.
  • Options
    kjohnw said:

IanB2 said:

The anger in this country is rising , Parliament and MPs are seen as the blockers of brexit and out of touch with ordinary people . They want us to think again because they think we gave the wrong answer last time . They are destroying our democracy
    If, as Hammond said, the country is at an inflection point, wouldn't you rather give that decision than leave it to parliament?
  • Options
    I’m touting this to anyone who’ll listen, I think Maurice Glasman is great and his thoughts on Brexit are spot on.

https://m.soundcloud.com/unherd-confessions/maurice-glasman-rec

• Options
    GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:
    So is Fox for or against? Not obvious from Watt's tweet?
    Desperate to justify what will become a pointless job.
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092

Jonathan said:

Cyclefree said:

Scott_P said:
    Would it be unpardonably frivolous of me to say that Corbyn’s new glasses really suit him? And that he is really quite fine looking for a 70 year old (tho’ his teeth could do with straightening)?
    He looks the part. Just imagine this. He gets in and does well. Tory nightmare.
    Why Tory nightmare? It would be a massive relief. Unfortunately there's zero hope that he'd do well.
    Because politics is largely about representing conflicting values and interests, and Corbyn would be promoting those of his supporters, which generally conflict with those of the people the Conservatives represent.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151
    HYUFD said:

Sanders is the same force as Corbyn, Brexit, Trump etc, Democratic voters finally want one of their own after the robotic, centrist, establishment Clinton many feel 'stole' the nomination and still lost and Harris is basically personality wise an African American Hillary

That may or may not be true but it's not a conclusion you can draw from asking people who only know about two of the candidates which one their second preference is.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    God forbid they try to defeat the guy on politics.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

As most likely would any Labour, LD or SNP or TIG MP who votes for No Deal or who refuses to vote for revoke knowing that that means No Deal. However more Tory MPs voted for Revoke on the indicative votes than Labour, LD or SNP or TIG MPs voted for No Deal. Revoke only needs a simple majority to pass.

The likes of Field, Greening etc would lose their seats anyway if they voted for No Deal
    10 Tories voted for Revoke on the indicative votes. I expect Revoke would pass, but not by a majority of 2/1.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,962
    If there's a tie, Bercow will pass the motion at this stage as the matter has already been 'discussed' - he alluded to that in his earlier Point of Order.
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    edited April 2019
    isam said:

Cyclefree said:

isam said:

isam said:

Anyone?
    Thank you.

If even just over 3.5% of Leave voters were willing to accept a Brexit that included retaining FOM, then there was NO majority against FOM at the 2016 referendum.

I do not believe that over 96.35% of Leave voters were voting to end FOM. Do you?
  • Options

kjohnw said:

IanB2 said:

If, as Hammond said, the country is at an inflection point, wouldn't you rather give that decision than leave it to parliament?
    They didn’t listen last time why would they listen again until they get the answer they want
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    rpjs said:

isam said:

Cyclefree said:

isam said:

isam said:

Anyone?
    Thank you.

If even just under 3.5% of Leave voters were willing to accept a Brexit that included retaining FOM, then there was NO majority against FOM at the 2016 referendum.

I do not believe that over 96.35% of Leave voters were voting to end FOM. Do you?
    Lots of Remain voters were not exactly happy about freedom of movement.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,112
    edited April 2019
    IanB2 said:

isam said:

Cyclefree said:

isam said:

isam said:

Anyone?
    Thank you.

On FOM as the number of new EU migrants has fallen, the number of non-EU migrants has risen, demonstrating that we need the workers regardless. So stopping immigration was never going to happen, Brexit or no.
    So how does Rotherham benefit from thousands of East European Roma having moved there using FOM ?
  • Options
    Third Reading CARRIES 313 v 312

Letwin/Cooper becomes law, subject to the Lords tomorrow. No 'no deal' (hopefully - ultimately any extension is up to the EU).
  • Options
    Though I’d never vote Labour, I will actively work against the Tories at the next election, possibly through the Brexit Party, to channel my energy into a worthwhile cause.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2019/04/03/like-many-tory-members-can-no-longer-stay-party/
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Cyclefree said:

Scott_P said:
    Would it be unpardonably frivolous of me to say that Corbyn’s new glasses really suit him? And that he is really quite fine looking for a 70 year old (tho’ his teeth could do with straightening)?
    Why Tory nightmare? It would be a massive relief. Unfortunately there's zero hope that he'd do well.
    Because politics is largely about representing conflicting values and interests, and Corbyn would be promoting those of his supporters, which generally conflict with those of the people the Conservatives represent.
    Sure, but that's better than his actually implementing his crazy ideas and plunging us into disaster.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137
    nico67 said:

The ERG nut job amendment to force an exit on April 13 crashed and burned . 105 lunatics voted for it and should be sectioned !

Thankfully 509 MPs voted against .

There's a hell of a lot of voters who think those 509 should be the ones sectioned. How they have voted on Brexit is going to appear on a lot of election literature. And in many cases, not their own.....
  • Options

rpjs said:

isam said:

Cyclefree said:

isam said:

isam said:

Anyone?
    Thank you.

If even just under 3.5% of Leave voters were willing to accept a Brexit that included retaining FOM, then there was NO majority against FOM at the 2016 referendum.

Lots of Remain voters were not exactly happy about freedom of movement.
    But by voting Remain they were willing to accept it.
  • Options
    Cooper passes 313 to 312
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,892
    GIN1138 said:

isam said:

Cyclefree said:

isam said:

isam said:

Anyone?
    Thank you.

They won't deal with them and they have no desire to. They think they're the scum of the Earth and if they could take their vote away from them and throw them in the workhouse they would...
    Great idea Gin! Thinking out of the box.
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    Pulpstar said:

If there's a tie, Bercow will pass the motion at this stage as the matter has already been 'discussed' - he alluded to that in his earlier Point of Order.

Other way round, isn't it? He'd vote in favour if it allowed further discussion, but against in any final vote because he won't create a majority where there isn't one.

Edit: Academic now!
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    Passed on the back of a vote from an MP who may well already be over the recall threshold!
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Cyclefree said:

Scott_P said:
    Sure, but that's better than his actually implementing his crazy ideas and plunging us into disaster.
    Agreed, if you think that the country would end up like Venezuela then you've set the bar pretty low for what you'd consider a good outcome.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,962
    What an absolubte fucking disgrace, passed with Fiona Onasunya's vote.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Cooper passes 313 to 312

A much smaller margin than I would have expected, at the beginning of the day.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

Pulpstar said:

As a distraction from the House of Horrors:

"How the mayor of South Bend became a surprisingly serious contender in the 2020 Democratic primary race."

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2019/4/3/18282638/pete-buttigieg-mayor-pete-pronounce-explained

If he doesn't have any skeletons and doesn't stick his foot in his mouth he looks like a very good candidate. He certainly seems to be reasonable and measured and singularly lacking in ideology for its own sake.
    I am expecting a first debate surprise. But to be honest he is now 9 on BF for Dem nominee. Not sure I would go in at that price.
    Poll averages:

Biden 28.8
    Sanders 21.8
    Harris 9.8
    O'Rourke 9.2
    Warren 5.7
    Booker 3.2
    Buttigieg 2.3
    Klobuchar 1.7
    Yang 1.0
    Castro 1.0
    Hickenlooper 0.7
    Gillibrand 0.7
    Inslee 0.7
    Well, with Biden not standing, and Sanders managing to cut his head in the shower and looking even older than he is, the field is wide open.

My view:

Beto is this year's Rubio. Young and theoretically looks good, but an empty suit. Sell.
    Harris: With Biden and Sanders out (yeah, sue me), she's probably rightly the front runner. Hold.
    Warren: unpopular even in her own state. Sell.
    Booker. Who?
    Buttigieg. Could be...
    Klobuchar. Could be...
    Yang. Please god no.
    Castro. If he makes it to the debate, he'll get a good bounce. Impressive guy. A buy here.
    Hickenlooper. Fingers crossed...
    Gillibrand. Who?
    Insless. Who?
    Harris is not frontrunner, Sanders is, he already has almost 3 times the support of Harris, better organisation in Iowa and NH and most of Biden's votes will go to Sanders not Harris as polling shows Sanders is Biden voters second preference
    Look at this image and tell me that Sanders is a front runner:

He makes Michael Foot in 1983 look a viable candidate.
  • Options
    This might be what gives Mark Francois a coronary.
  • Options
    Francois ranting about 'a constitutional outrage' as went through by 1 vote and with limited time
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Cooper passes 313 to 312

As LBJ said, the first rule of politics is to be able to count.

1 will do it.
  • Options

Passed on the back of a vote from an MP who may well already be over the recall threshold!

Except we know it had potential support from a good proportion of the payroll vote, were it not for the whip.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    The Con party needs to remove May ASAP.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,043

IanB2 said:

isam said:

Cyclefree said:

isam said:

isam said:

Anyone?
    Thank you.

So how does Rotherham benefit from thousands of East European Roma having moved there using FOM ?
    It lowers the statistical incidence of child molesting in the town?
  • Options
    Francois quoting Jesus, because of course.
  • Options
    Francois in full throttle in HoC on order point.
  • Options
    Baker flagging that some Lords will attempt to filibuster
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

10 Tories voted for Revoke on the indicative votes. I expect Revoke would pass, but not by a majority of 2/1.
    I was probably being a bit overexaggerating the Revoke numbers yes but you are right Revoke looks likely if that is the only alternative left to No Deal
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

kjohnw said:

IanB2 said:

I certainly wouldn’t give it to Hammond.
  • Options
    rpjs said:

isam said:

Cyclefree said:

isam said:

isam said:

Anyone?
    Thank you.

If even just over 3.5% of Leave voters were willing to accept a Brexit that included retaining FOM, then there was NO majority against FOM at the 2016 referendum.

Honestly those kind of comments are just riduculous, because there are Remainers who disagree with FOM but who voted to stay because they work in the city and worry about the risk to their (very high) income.

You think a referendum on FOM would be won by those who want to keep it?
  • Options
    Lmao Mark Francois imploding ! Wow 313 to 312 . What a dramatic day . Who needs Netflix !
  • Options

Every cloud...
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Netted off by the vote of the disgraced fraudster Chris Davies.
  • Options

Francois quoting Jesus, because of course.

Apt, given that the casting vote was given by the MP for Peterborough.
  • Options
    Hmm, this result doesn't exactly give a clear direction from parliament which would encourage the EU to give us a bit of leeway. This is not enough to take a catastrophic accidental No Deal off the table.
  • Options
    DruttDrutt Posts: 1,093
    Pulpstar said:

What did I say? Carried by Onasanya's vote. This is it now. This is where we live.
  • Options
    isam said:

rpjs said:

isam said:

Cyclefree said:

isam said:

isam said:

Anyone?
    Thank you.

Honestly those kind of comments are just riduculous, because there are Remainers who disagree with FOM but who voted to stay because they work in the city and worry about the risk to their (very high) income.

Who knows? But we didn't have a referendum on FOM, did we?
  • Options
    rpjs said:

Every cloud...
    He doesn't look like the picture of perfect health, which is surprising for an Army man.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

Pulpstar said:

As a distraction from the House of Horrors:

"How the mayor of South Bend became a surprisingly serious contender in the 2020 Democratic primary race."

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2019/4/3/18282638/pete-buttigieg-mayor-pete-pronounce-explained

If he doesn't have any skeletons and doesn't stick his foot in his mouth he looks like a very good candidate. He certainly seems to be reasonable and measured and singularly lacking in ideology for its own sake.
    I am expecting a first debate surprise. But to be honest he is now 9 on BF for Dem nominee. Not sure I would go in at that price.
    Poll averages:

Biden 28.8
    Sanders 21.8
    Harris 9.8
    O'Rourke 9.2
    Warren 5.7
    Booker 3.2
    Buttigieg 2.3
    Klobuchar 1.7
    Yang 1.0
    Castro 1.0
    Hickenlooper 0.7
    Gillibrand 0.7
    Inslee 0.7
    Well, with Biden not standing, and Sanders managing to cut his head in the shower and looking even older than he is, the field is wide open.

My view:

Beto is this year's Rubio. Young and theoretically looks good, but an empty suit. Sell.
    Harris: With Biden and Sanders out (yeah, sue me), she's probably rightly the front runner. Hold.
    Warren: unpopular even in her own state. Sell.
    Booker. Who?
    Buttigieg. Could be...
    Klobuchar. Could be...
    Yang. Please god no.
    Castro. If he makes it to the debate, he'll get a good bounce. Impressive guy. A buy here.
    Hickenlooper. Fingers crossed...
    Gillibrand. Who?
    Insless. Who?
    Harris is not frontrunner, Sanders is, he already has almost 3 times the support of Harris, better organisation in Iowa and NH and most of Biden's votes will go to Sanders not Harris as polling shows Sanders is Biden voters second preference
    Look at this image and tell me that Sanders is a front runner:

He makes Michael Foot in 1983 look a viable candidate.
    So does Jeremy Corbyn but we live in volatile times
  • Options
    Nadine Dorries says it would be better to stay in than be in a customs union.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

More ammo for the anti establishment stitch up campaign
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

The Con party needs to remove May ASAP.

Too late. Too late.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,735
    kjohnw said:

IanB2 said:

On the contrary, our politicians are doing a marvelous job at representing the British public in all its contradictory and irreconcilable beliefs. Westminster has taken back control. Isn't that what the people wanted?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Surely she's passed her curfew?
  • Options

Hmm, this result doesn't exactly give a clear direction from parliament which would encourage the EU to give us a bit of leeway. This is not enough to take a catastrophic accidental No Deal off the table.

If it came to a real choice between extension and no deal, no deal would be defeated comprehensively.
  • Options

The Commons also voted for extension beyond May 22nd thus enabling participation in the EU elections.

Plus on tonight's numbers if no other alternative to No Deal hard to see how a majority of MPs do not vote to revoke Art 50 and cancel Brexit
  • Options
    isam said:

Pulpstar said:

The publicity does rather write itself.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,969
    rpjs said:

isam said:

Cyclefree said:

isam said:

isam said:

Anyone?
    Thank you.

A few days before the referendum a yougov poll had 42% of Leave voters saying they would prefer an EEA Brexit which retained FoM to 45% wanting a Brexit which did not.

EEA is what we should have been aiming for all along.
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

Cooper passes 313 to 312

A much smaller margin than I would have expected, at the beginning of the day.
    Yet still a majority, tonight's 313 to 312 vote could almost be a proxy for a Revoke v No Deal vote, which means it is possible Fiona Onasanya could cast the final decisive vote that revokes Article 50 and cancels Brexit
  • Options
    The HOL is overwhelmingly Remain so Francois can go fxck himself the vile odious bigot.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,082
    So will the Lords filibuster this?
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

If it came to a real choice between extension and no deal, no deal would be defeated comprehensively.
    The problem is the transmission mechanism between parliament deciding that and it actually happening, which isn't clear. Cooper's bill provides a mechanism, which is the important missing bit of the jigsaw, but it looks a bit flaky (and still has to pass the Lords).
  • Options
    Foxy said:

kjohnw said:

IanB2 said:

On the contrary, our politicians are doing a marvelous job at representing the British public in all its contradictory and irreconcilable beliefs. Westminster has taken back control. Isn't that what the people wanted?
    The people voted to leave . Remain lost . They have not enacted the people’s wishes . In a democracy the majority wins . Leave won . To subvert that vote is democratic betrayal . There will be riots on the streets if brexit is betrayed
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

isam said:

Pulpstar said:

They’re going to make Nigel Farage a hero and Tommy Robinson a martyr
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,735
    rpjs said:

isam said:

rpjs said:

isam said:

Cyclefree said:

isam said:

isam said:

Anyone?
    Thank you.

My favourite piece of polling on FOM is the poll that similtaneously supported FOM for Britons in the EU and opposed it for Europeans in Britain. Sadly not to hand.
  • Options
    _Anazina__Anazina_ Posts: 1,810

rpjs said:

isam said:

Cyclefree said:

isam said:

isam said:

Anyone?
    Thank you.

A few days before the referendum a yougov poll had 42% of Leave voters saying they would prefer an EEA Brexit which retained FoM to 45% wanting a Brexit which did not.

EEA is what we should have been aiming for all along.
    Spot on again.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

isam said:

Pulpstar said:

Any news on recall?
  • Options

Francois in full throttle in HoC on order point.

Can someone put a shotgun in his mouth.

:wink:

I wonder if Francois expected things to proceed like this when he was slagging off the WDA before it had even been published.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

The Commons also voted for extension beyond May 22nd thus enabling participation in the EU elections.

Plus on tonight's numbers if no other alternative to No Deal hard to see how a majority of MPs do not vote to revoke Art 50 and cancel Brexit
    Revoke was not one of the choices tonight. That vote would be very different
  • Options

The HOL can change its rules to stop the nutjobs from filibustering .
  • Options

Nadine Dorries says it would be better to stay in than be in a customs union.

Good idea.
  • Options
    rpjs said:

isam said:

rpjs said:

isam said:

Cyclefree said:

isam said:

isam said:

There seems to be an assumption that the people who voted Leave didn't know what they were voting for, and didn't really want to leavee the EU... if we were to accept that argument, and the establishment managed somehow to wriggle out of actually leaving, what would they do to address the concerns of the majority of 2016 referendum voters?

Anyone?
    Thank you.

We didn’t, but you said that there was no majority for ending it
  • Options
    nico67 said:

The HOL is overwhelmingly Remain so Francois can go fxck himself the vile odious bigot.

That may be true but there are some leave supporting Lords and it only takes a few to filibuster... ;)
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137
    Pulpstar said:

Well, at least it should fire up her recall.....
  • Options
    Foxy said:

kjohnw said:

IanB2 said:

No they haven't. They have made preparations to make sure they never have control sgain. .
  • Options

I heard a report that it is highly likely the lords brexiteers will fillbuster
  • Options
    Drutt said:

Pulpstar said:

What did I say? Carried by Onasanya's vote. This is it now. This is where we live.
    She at least now has a definite footnote in the history books.
This discussion has been closed.