Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » So TIG becomes Change UK in time for the possible Euro Electio

Comments

• Options
    brendan16brendan16 Posts: 2,315
    HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

An interesting article on Biden's predicament which suggests that OGH was, after all, quite right when he opined that Biden and Saunders are just too old to be President:
    https://www.politico.com/story/2019/04/01/biden-1246920

Actually if Biden is out polls show most of his support transfers to Sanders making Sanders clear favourite for the Democratic nomination.

It would then be a Trump v Sanders general election, both candidates over 70
    Those Biden videos have been on you tube for years - his age was never the issue but his hands on approach was more of a problem. If it was just the apparent inappropriateness with adult women it wouldn't be so bad.

Now we have Pelosi saying the allegations don't matter - presumably because its OK as Biden is a Democrat. She didn't of course give the same consideration to Judge Kavanaugh - and his alleged transgressions were never caught on video and placed on you tube.

• Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,226

I think it is clear that they are playing party political games with people's jobs and businesses.

Labour are playing a game. The game is Get The Tories Out. It may annoy people but that is essentially what they are there for.

Imagine if they were to pitch in heart and soul and break this impasse, and as a consequence the government struggles through and the Cons end up getting their act together and winning the next election, where would that leave us?

I know where it would leave me - absolutely spitting feathers.
  • Options
    Bob__SykesBob__Sykes Posts: 1,176

brendan16 said:

Genuinely bizarre that anyone thinks there will be Euro elections. I cannot see any credible scenario under which they take place.

We extend article 50 next week following the EU summit, remain EU members and have no choice but to?

I can see the Tories and Labour may not want them - but that is another matter.

There is zero chance of Mrs May asking for any kind of extension that involves European elections. If the choice is those or No Deal she will take No Deal.

She has more than implied that the "grave alternative" is a very long extension and EU elections participation. It would be odd if she now came out and said it's No Deal instead.

From a negotiation perspective, by enforcing panic amongst moderate Labour MPs, the EU and Leo, it may be a sound move. But we are so close to it happening, I don't see how she can stand up later today and say that is what we are doing.

When does Cabinet finish? Are we expecting any sort of statement of intent from the PM after it?
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

TGOHF said:

Genuinely bizarre that anyone thinks there will be Euro elections. I cannot see any credible scenario under which they take place.

Only 2 routes to avoiding elections.

The WA passes.

Or no deal.

Every chance we will participate after a long unwanted extension is forced down our throats by wrecker MPs.

It is impossible to force a long extension down the government's throat. Only Mrs May can ask for one. She won't.
    I think she will be forced to at gunpoint by the UK parly.
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786
    brendan16 said:

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

An interesting article on Biden's predicament which suggests that OGH was, after all, quite right when he opined that Biden and Saunders are just too old to be President:

Actually if Biden is out polls show most of his support transfers to Sanders making Sanders clear favourite for the Democratic nomination.

Those Biden videos have been on you tube for years - his age was never the issue but his hands on approach was more of a problem. If it was just the apparent inappropriateness with adult women it wouldn't be so bad.

Now we have Pelosi saying the allegations don't matter - presumably because its OK as Biden is a Democrat. She didn't of course give the same consideration to Judge Kavanaugh - and his alleged transgressions were never caught on video and placed on you tube.

Yes, the accusations from adults are gateway to what he will face accusation of with younger females
  • Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,602

Fenman said:

TIG may reach an agreement with the Lib Dems, but I guarantee you that individual Lib Dems will stand against them, probably under the Liberal Party badge. This time there will be no free ride for never has beens and never will be's. My personal target is the egregious Heidi Allen.

The Liberal Party is (or was last time I looked) anti EU.
    They campaigned with NO2EU in the Euros so I think that's fair. And as for the rump SDP...

https://sdp.org.uk/policies/brexit/

("In the absence of a better offer from the EU, we support a WTO Brexit.")

I think the SDP and the Liberal Party should merge! Wonder what they would call themselves? :D
    Where can I join up?
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,003

Fenman said:

Fenman said:

TIG may reach an agreement with the Lib Dems, but I guarantee you that individual Lib Dems will stand against them, probably under the Liberal Party badge. This time there will be no free ride for never has beens and never will be's. My personal target is the egregious Heidi Allen.

But happy then to work against TIGgers
    Unlikely lib dems would stand on an anti EU platform though
    I repeat. LibDem Party members are not Liberal Party members. And vice versa. Two distints political organisations.
    I know, I was referring to the claim individual lib dems would stand against tigs on a liberal badge/platform
    Apologies if my misunderstanding caused offence. Personally, I would describe myself as a Liberal who thinks the EU, and our membership if it, is a Good Thing.
    From the Liberals website 'We believe that the ‘LibDems’ as a party traded any last vestige of liberal principle or belief for a few seats at the cabinet table. In so doing they paid a heavy electoral price in 2015 for being party to a cruel and uncaring government which sought to make the poorest and most vulnerable in society pay for the mistakes of bankers and financiers who appear to have come out of the financial crisis relatively unscathed.'
    And while I don't think the first sentence is fair, I am, as a one time LD voter, somewhat ashamed of the policies on, for example health and legal aid.
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679

RobD said:

All right, whose bright idea was the meaningful vote anyway? Would be quite amusing if it is directly responsible for a no deal brexit.

One wonders what would have happened had the MV requirement not been forced on us, and the Govt just did a deal last November. Would the ERG/Remainer cohort have blocked the passage of the ratifying legislation, or would it have just resulted in a week or two of Tory infighting, before we moved on with our lives until 30th March when we could have then started the process of negotiating our future relationship?
    Quite likely. And probably without any focus to concentrate opposition to leaving. So no marches and petitions to undermine the democratic legitimacy of the referendum.

And delivering it on time was the first test of whether or not Brexit was going to be a success. It could have been followed up by comparing the predictions made for no deal with the actual outcome of leaving with a deal to portray remainers as out of touch. There was always going to be a rejoin campaign but it could have been looking at a very bad starting point literally right now.

But that isn't how it has turned out.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    kinabalu said:

I think it is clear that they are playing party political games with people's jobs and businesses.

Labour are playing a game. The game is Get The Tories Out. It may annoy people but that is essentially what they are there for.

Imagine if they were to pitch in heart and soul and break this impasse, and as a consequence the government struggles through and the Cons end up getting their act together and winning the next election, where would that leave us?

The astounding part about "party before country" is that almost everyone saying this is having a pop at the Tories. Labour are doing exactly the same as you acknowledge.
  • Options
    ralphmalphralphmalph Posts: 2,201

I'd echo Letwin's sentiment that this Bill is going to be hard work (though probably no more difficult than any other course of action beyond saying "no")

Getting a Commons majority for it; then a May proposal (as amended) which the Commons backs; then persuading the EU that it constitutes "a plan" by next Wed feels like a tall order given everyone's track record so far.

I guess we get Lab whipping for; Tories against (?) (for what it's worth nowadays). But I'd have thought there'll be a substantial Commons voice arguing this isn't great law/not prescriptive enough/doesn't move us on from indicative votes - ie it leaves it entirely undecided as to what the will of the Commons is apart from "not this".

It also has to go through the Lords where delaying actions could be used by Brexit supporting Lords to delay it.
  • Options

Fenman said:

Fenman said:

I repeat. LibDem Party members are not Liberal Party members. And vice versa. Two distints political organisations.
    I know, I was referring to the claim individual lib dems would stand against tigs on a liberal badge/platform
    Apologies if my misunderstanding caused offence. Personally, I would describe myself as a Liberal who thinks the EU, and our membership if it, is a Good Thing.
    From the Liberals website 'We believe that the ‘LibDems’ as a party traded any last vestige of liberal principle or belief for a few seats at the cabinet table. In so doing they paid a heavy electoral price in 2015 for being party to a cruel and uncaring government which sought to make the poorest and most vulnerable in society pay for the mistakes of bankers and financiers who appear to have come out of the financial crisis relatively unscathed.'
    And while I don't think the first sentence is fair, I am, as a one time LD voter, somewhat ashamed of the policies on, for example health and legal aid.
    No offence was taken
  • Options
    MyBurningEarsMyBurningEars Posts: 3,651
    edited April 2019

Fenman said:

Fenman said:

Nice post. Judging from how the polls have changed over the years you can't be the only person thinking that.

Congrats on the op btw. Keep walking, stay positive and hope you still have the chance to enjoy some of the beautiful Essex countryside!

Best wishes for your wife as well.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Fenman said:

They campaigned with NO2EU in the Euros so I think that's fair. And as for the rump SDP...

https://sdp.org.uk/policies/brexit/

("In the absence of a better offer from the EU, we support a WTO Brexit.")

I think the SDP and the Liberal Party should merge! Wonder what they would call themselves? :D
    SDLP?
  • Options
    edited April 2019

brendan16 said:

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

Yes, the accusations from adults are gateway to what he will face accusation of with younger females
    And the fact that he felt able to do it all in a public place with the cameras rolling and photographers and family members present - and no one said anything.
  • Options
    edited April 2019

I think they might but I doubt it. Sense a way will be found so we don't participate.

Was happy to lay at 1.3 on Betfair.
  • Options
    brendan16 said:

brendan16 said:

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

And the fact that he felt able to do it all in a public place with the cameras rolling and photographers and family members present - and no one said anything. It makes you wonder what he might be like in private?
    It's an unpleasant thought
  • Options
    Buttigieg is now at 10.5. Now my joint worst Dem result with "boring" Harris.
  • Options

brendan16 said:

We extend article 50 next week following the EU summit, remain EU members and have no choice but to?

There is zero chance of Mrs May asking for any kind of extension that involves European elections. If the choice is those or No Deal she will take No Deal.

She has more than implied that the "grave alternative" is a very long extension and EU elections participation. It would be odd if she now came out and said it's No Deal instead.

From a negotiation perspective, by enforcing panic amongst moderate Labour MPs, the EU and Leo, it may be a sound move. But we are so close to it happening, I don't see how she can stand up later today and say that is what we are doing.

When does Cabinet finish? Are we expecting any sort of statement of intent from the PM after it?
    Not much of a threat.

Labour don't fear EU elections or the chaos continuing under an extension.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,993
    TGOHF said:

The one-clause bill will be presented on Tuesday, requiring the prime minister to immediately come forward with a proposal for an extension to the article 50 period beyond 12 April for parliament to debate and vote on.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/apr/02/mps-seek-to-stop-no-deal-brexit-by-tabling-article-50-bill

Surely again, May could just come forward with some nonsense that the EU won't agree to and therefore again default no-deal Brexit.

Any Cons voting for this nonsense need their bumps felt.

It's a Labour elephant trap to a general election.
    Yes just keep playing party politics while the country goes down the tubes.
  • Options

Andrew said:

Gaming in that way would be obvious to fairly simple statistical analysis if widespread. On top of that we had a massive demonstration on the streets of London indicating that the sentiment behind the petition was a genuine and widespread one that should be taken seriously by professional politicians, psephologists and supporters of respecting people's democratic wishes.

Both true.

There's a vulnerability for people who wish to sign 2/3/4 times (easy enough given home/mobile IPs), and plenty will be doing this, but that's not going to be more than a million of the signatures at most.

The real weakness would be against botnets. Different IP every one, and if they could be bothered, get hold of lots of names/postcodes in roughly the correct leave/remain distribution. Not at all difficult, and basically no way to detect or defend against it.
    It would have to be rather more sophisticated than the setup outlined in Guido's article though. You'd have to match every feature of the genuine data, so at a minimum you'd need 24 hours worth of data as a model. And you'd have to phase in the bottery smoothly to avoid jumps in the time series. And you'd have to monitor it to slow down in line with the actual voting. There is no way it is a 3 hour job for a hacker.
    Just set it up to run add 10% to the last 3 hours rolling rate though
  • Options
    Pelosi's support might well be significant for Biden. If he'd just get in the bloody race before quitting so I can lay him at a short price tho :(
  • Options
    Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,790

Im struggling to identify what ChangeUK want to change.

Theyre the more of the same party

I think it might be the political status quo? Maybe? You should be in favour as someone who often rails against the "establishment". Not sure whether they have quite the number of old- Etonians to claim to be as anti-Establishment as, say, the ERG or supporters of the Blond Philanderer.
    these people are the establishment as far as I can see.

But its not about people its about the policies, from what I have seen to date they want to pick up from whgere we left off in 2016. Something I view as wishful thinking.

On Europe I will be intrigued to see what their view is -will they go the whole hog and stand on integration, the euro and Schengen or will they go for the same old half in half out shtick the UK has pursued for years ?
    Well the ERG probably want to pick up where we left off in 1945, so I think I prefer the slightly more up to date approach of 2016.

Sorry to disagree old bean, but "the Establishment", if such a thing really exists, is very much about people. Boris Johnson is a classic example of an establishment figure doing contortions of mendacity to appeal to any group that might enable him to have his sweaty, podgy hands on the levers of power.
    lol, you seem to think I support the ERG or Boris, I dont.
    You seem to be rather like our current crop of MPs. Against lots of stuff, but not really in favour of anything that is actually on offer.
  • Options

RobD said:

All right, whose bright idea was the meaningful vote anyway? Would be quite amusing if it is directly responsible for a no deal brexit.

One wonders what would have happened had the MV requirement not been forced on us, and the Govt just did a deal last November. Would the ERG/Remainer cohort have blocked the passage of the ratifying legislation, or would it have just resulted in a week or two of Tory infighting, before we moved on with our lives until 30th March when we could have then started the process of negotiating our future relationship?
    Probably the latter
  • Options
    Bob__SykesBob__Sykes Posts: 1,176
    TGOHF said:

brendan16 said:

Not much of a threat.

Labour don't fear EU elections or the chaos continuing under an extension.
    I didn't word that well. I meant by announcing No Deal she would enforce panic amongst moderate Labour MPs, the EU and Leo.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

TGOHF said:

The one-clause bill will be presented on Tuesday, requiring the prime minister to immediately come forward with a proposal for an extension to the article 50 period beyond 12 April for parliament to debate and vote on.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/apr/02/mps-seek-to-stop-no-deal-brexit-by-tabling-article-50-bill

Surely again, May could just come forward with some nonsense that the EU won't agree to and therefore again default no-deal Brexit.

Any Cons voting for this nonsense need their bumps felt.

It's a Labour elephant trap to a general election.
    Yes just keep playing party politics while the country goes down the tubes.
    The SNP are yet to agree with you malc.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,930

Yes! They’re the party that seek to deny the biggest change in British political history in favour of maintaining the status quo... 1984-esque branding
  • Options

brendan16 said:

She, like the other weaker members of the Tory Party are in hock to the UKIP entryists and swivel-eyed geriatric members of her local association. For that reason, sadly, I think she would choose the madness that is No-Deal. Fuck the country, our retired members come first.
  • Options
    https://www.itv.com/news/2019-04-02/why-todays-cabinet-could-be-the-most-important-for-50-years/

Pesto now postulating that the choice has boiled down to No Deal or Referendum.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820

Another longer term implication of recent events is that the total failure of Labour, the SNP, PC, the LDs and the Greens to work together to prevent a Tory No Deal Brexit demonstrates clearly that there is next to no chance of a progressive coalition - formal or otherwise - to keep the Tories out of power after the next election.

The 'Tory' No Deal Brexit - if it happens - will have been the choice of a progressive alliance of the SNP, Labour, LibDems. TIGgers and, err, the DUP and ERG. How about that for a broad-based coalition?
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited April 2019
    kinabalu said:

https://www.itv.com/news/2019-04-02/why-todays-cabinet-could-be-the-most-important-for-50-years/

Pesto now postulating that the choice has boiled down to No Deal or Referendum.

Says the man who thought various options would pass easily last night....
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,930
    Scott_P said:
    Death is preferable to James Feltons joke
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,977
    This Pelosi defence of Biden ought to be no surprise. We, in a global sense, need to move on from this generation and their bizarre attitudes to entitlement.
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    Charles said:

Andrew said:

Gaming in that way would be obvious to fairly simple statistical analysis if widespread. On top of that we had a massive demonstration on the streets of London indicating that the sentiment behind the petition was a genuine and widespread one that should be taken seriously by professional politicians, psephologists and supporters of respecting people's democratic wishes.

Both true.

There's a vulnerability for people who wish to sign 2/3/4 times (easy enough given home/mobile IPs), and plenty will be doing this, but that's not going to be more than a million of the signatures at most.

The real weakness would be against botnets. Different IP every one, and if they could be bothered, get hold of lots of names/postcodes in roughly the correct leave/remain distribution. Not at all difficult, and basically no way to detect or defend against it.
    It would have to be rather more sophisticated than the setup outlined in Guido's article though. You'd have to match every feature of the genuine data, so at a minimum you'd need 24 hours worth of data as a model. And you'd have to phase in the bottery smoothly to avoid jumps in the time series. And you'd have to monitor it to slow down in line with the actual voting. There is no way it is a 3 hour job for a hacker.
    Which would stick out like a sore thumb. You'd have to phase it in. And out. So you'd end up with less than a 10% boost. Which frankly would make very little difference to the political impact.

Basically, why bother?
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Its like asking him to guarantee no one will die as a result of negligence in the NHS - or guarantee that no one will die if we remain in the EU (e.g. freedom of movement allowing a murderer to move here as has happened).

• Options
    Scott_P said:
    I can’t guarantee the sun will rise tomorrow

It’s very likely it will but not 100%
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Like May or any of them would give a fuck.
  • Options

Charles said:

Andrew said:

Both true.

Which would stick out like a sore thumb. You'd have to phase it in. And out. So you'd end up with less than a 10% boost. Which frankly would make very little difference to the political impact.

Basically, why bother?
    Not if you catch it as momentum builds

(I meant 10% of the increase not 10% of the total. I know that’s not what I wrote...)
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,937

Another longer term implication of recent events is that the total failure of Labour, the SNP, PC, the LDs and the Greens to work together to prevent a Tory No Deal Brexit demonstrates clearly that there is next to no chance of a progressive coalition - formal or otherwise - to keep the Tories out of power after the next election.

The 'Tory' No Deal Brexit - if it happens - will have been the choice of a progressive alliance of the SNP, Labour, LibDems. TIGgers and, err, the DUP and ERG. How about that for a broad-based coalition?

Nope, the final choice is the PM’s. She is the only one who can revoke. It’s her decision alone.

• Options

Scott_P said:
    Like May or any of them would give a fuck.
    Cue Steve Baker to tell us that people definitely voted to kill people.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

The astounding part about "party before country" is that almost everyone saying this is having a pop at the Tories. Labour are doing exactly the same as you acknowledge.

Well, yes, although on this thread everybody was popping off at Labour, hence me being moved to scribble a note on the matter.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,687
    Scott_P said:
    Lol! Can someone please explain the concept of a metaphor to Guido?
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,210
    Scott_P said:
    Yeah - and the Cabinet Secretary saying that this will make the country less safe, at a time when there are loads of returning IS fighters. Oh and food prices will go up - so sucks to those JAMS she claimed to care about.

If May is really minded to do this then she is a danger to the country. If her MPs cannot understand that and/or won't take action to stop her, they deserve everything they will get.
  • Options

Nope, the final choice is the PM’s. She is the only one who can revoke. It’s her decision alone.

Which is why there will be a 12-18 month extension and elections.

It's a no brainer.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901

In your dreams Richard. The people advocating no deal will be held accountable.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,074
    Cyclefree said:

Scott_P said:
    Yeah - and the Cabinet Secretary saying that this will make the country less safe, at a time when there are loads of returning IS fighters. Oh and food prices will go up - so sucks to those JAMS she claimed to care about.

If May is really minded to do this then she is a danger to the country. If her MPs cannot understand that and/or won't take action to stop her, they deserve everything they will get.
    May sometimes seems to be trying to punish people for their sins, whether it's the Leave campaigners for their undeliverable promises, or the country for voting for them.
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    The Tories own no deal .

And will be held accountable . The no deal sheep following the nonsense spouted by the ERG will soon turn on them when the country implodes .

• Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976
    Pulpstar said:

kinabalu said:

The flip side of which is that it is at least arguable that the ERG diehards are the one bloc in the Commons not putting party before country, assuming you accept that they actually believe the nonsense they come out with. Conversely, there must be at least some part of the central bit of the Tory party who oppose No Deal despite suspecting that supporting it might be the best thing for their party in the short run.
  • Options

Did he? Oh dear.

Well as somebody who thinks that No Deal and REF2 are vying for the wooden spoon as absolute worst outcome I hope that he is equally off the money here.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

This Pelosi defence of Biden ought to be no surprise. We, in a global sense, need to move on from this generation and their bizarre attitudes to entitlement.

It was pretty much the same argument used by the defenders of Clinton. But it is not a generational thing. There is plenty of evidence around that younger men have a similar sense of entitlement when it comes to women. And as much evidence of politicians taking a "my party: right or wrong" approach to misbehaviour of any kind.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,313

Nah bollocks Richard. It will be laid fair and square at the foot of the Conservative Party. Labour "wouldn't have started from here" and the voting public will get that.

Plus would you personally be happy for the deal to go through and then Mark Francois take over?
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

In my nightmares. actually. But clearly the responsibility lies with those MPs who voted to trigger Article 50 and then refused to vote for the only available orderly implementation of their own decision. You had the list last Friday.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Did he? Oh dear.

Well as somebody who thinks that No Deal and REF2 are vying for the wooden spoon as absolute worst outcome I hope that he is equally off the money here.
    Well he was saying other people said they would pass by 50 etc. Peston has been consistently off the money since Labour have left power and his mates like Ed Balls are now busy doing dancing shows.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,770
    edited April 2019
    Jonathan said:

As a pragmatic, centrist, floating voter I would hold all of them accountable. For the pro-referendum grouping of LibDems and TIGgers to risk no deal brexit for a shot at remain is too high risk for not much reward. It is not grown up politics and does not suggest they would work well in coalitions, which is what is needed in a divided country.
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    Cyclefree said:

Scott_P said:

Yes - our mass orchestrated outrage over a rather stupid 19 year old girl with a child who wants to come home compared to little or no outrage at letting several hundred young male ISIS fighters back in to no doubt to live a life on welfare giving them plenty of time for other 'activities'. Very easy to ban a teenage girl - and let the male soldiers back in their hundreds!

Bizarre to be concerned about 'national security' therefore - one can't help being a little cynical.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,756

I think it might be the political status quo? Maybe? You should be in favour as someone who often rails against the "establishment". Not sure whether they have quite the number of old- Etonians to claim to be as anti-Establishment as, say, the ERG or supporters of the Blond Philanderer.
    these people are the establishment as far as I can see.

But its not about people its about the policies, from what I have seen to date they want to pick up from whgere we left off in 2016. Something I view as wishful thinking.

On Europe I will be intrigued to see what their view is -will they go the whole hog and stand on integration, the euro and Schengen or will they go for the same old half in half out shtick the UK has pursued for years ?
    Well the ERG probably want to pick up where we left off in 1945, so I think I prefer the slightly more up to date approach of 2016.

Sorry to disagree old bean, but "the Establishment", if such a thing really exists, is very much about people. Boris Johnson is a classic example of an establishment figure doing contortions of mendacity to appeal to any group that might enable him to have his sweaty, podgy hands on the levers of power.
    lol, you seem to think I support the ERG or Boris, I dont.
    You seem to be rather like our current crop of MPs. Against lots of stuff, but not really in favour of anything that is actually on offer.
    not much of what is on offer is that attractive.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850
    kinabalu said:

That's fair enough.

As an aside, I'd say that almost everyone who wants compromise wants compromise from thee, not from me.
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    TOPPING said:

Nah bollocks Richard. It will be laid fair and square at the foot of the Conservative Party. Labour "wouldn't have started from here" and the voting public will get that.

Ah, that's a different question. Yes, I agree that the Conservatives will be blamed by the voters, and that Labour - for all their cynicism and the fact that they are responsible as much as the ERGers - won't get much of the blame.
    TOPPING said:

Plus would you personally be happy for the deal to go through and then Mark Francois take over?

LOL!
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Which is why there will be a 12-18 month extension and elections.

It's a no brainer.

What commitment do you think we will make in return for that extension?
  • Options
    NorthofStokeNorthofStoke Posts: 1,758

TOPPING said:

Ah, that's a different question. Yes, I agree that the Conservatives will be blamed by the voters, and that Labour - for all their cynicism and the fact that they are responsible as much as the ERGers - won't get much of the blame.
    TOPPING said:

LOL!
    I think that should not be assumed. To some extent it will depend on the last minute theatrics, who takes over as Tory leader and so on.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901

Jonathan said:

In my nightmares. actually. But clearly the responsibility lies with those MPs who voted to trigger Article 50 and then refused to vote for the only available orderly implementation of their own decision. You had the list last Friday.
    Nope. People who wanted No Deal would be responsible for No Deal.

The fact that the deal was incompetent, inadequate and unpopular does indeed lie with May, but she is not responsible for No Deal. That's with the Ultras and them alone.

Obviously No Deal will be a great success and David Davis will be on the £500 note (worth 12p in today's money).
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,797
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151
    isam said:
    Mersea Island seperatists
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,977
    Cyclefree said:

dixiedean said:

It was pretty much the same argument used by the defenders of Clinton. But it is not a generational thing. There is plenty of evidence around that younger men have a similar sense of entitlement when it comes to women. And as much evidence of politicians taking a "my party: right or wrong" approach to misbehaviour of any kind.
    Yes, I agree there are young men with a similar sense. The evidence is all around. The difference is that those who aspire to lead from younger generations generally don't treat it as a peccadillo to be indulged.
    This is the point that needs to change. The outright enabling from those in power needs to stop.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,287
    Wall to wall government No Deal adverts everywhere today
  • Options
    brendan16 said:

Cyclefree said:

Scott_P said:

Yes - our mass orchestrated outrage over a rather stupid 19 year old girl with a child who wants to come home compared to little or no outrage at letting several hundred young male ISIS fighters back in to no doubt to live a life on welfare giving them plenty of time for other 'activities'. Very easy to ban a teenage girl - and let the male soldiers back in their hundreds!

Bizarre to be concerned about 'national security' therefore - one can't help being a little cynical.
    I was thinking more of the fact that co-operation with EU security services and access to information will be curtailed. Given that returning terrorists will likely be travelling through Continental Europe to get here that does raise security concerns. I find it extraordinary that a former Home Secretary would disregard such concerns.

Security is the single most important role of any government. To embark on a course of action that risks that is a complete abdication of responsibility by the government. It is only arising because May is weak, has boxed herself into a corner, refuses to compromise and listens to no-one. She is simply not fit to be PM and it is a failing of our system that there seem to be no effective restraints on her power to make a mess of things in a way that places us at risk. We may as well have a mad King in charge, frankly.
  • Options

If parliament were to vote with a clear majority in favour of revocation, you'd have a point. Without such a vote, the legal position is unclear and it's not realistic politically.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151
    edited April 2019
    kle4 said:
    To give the British Parliament time to think of a reason for the next extension
  • Options
    isam said:
    Surely it is just a reminder you are leaving the Essex mainland?

Presumably they had a ferry across to Mersea before they built the causeway?
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    YouTube has placed more restrictions around the video channel of English Defence League founder Tommy Robinson.

Clips uploaded by Mr Robinson have been removed from search results and he is blocked from streaming live events via the site.

Messages warning that his videos may not be appropriate for all viewers will also play before clips.

YouTube had already, in January, decided to suspend adverts on Mr Robinson's channel.

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-47786252

I have to say I find this rather concerning. I am no fan of his, but as far as I know he has done nothing wrong on the platform, so surely should be treated equally until he does do something wrong.

Where do we stop? We say Alex Jones should go because he was pushing dangerous conspiracy theories, now Tommy Robinson, where does it stop? Carl Benjamin, again not a fan, but is getting restricted on various platforms (twitter I can understand the ban), but again his content isn't my cup of tea but doesn't seem crazy extremist.

It also plays into their narrative of the establishment trying to censor them etc etc etc. I much prefer, like say Nick Griffin, call him out on things, engage and then the public see them for what they are (if they are what we think they are). The best take down of Griffin was Iain Dale, who basically got past the usual your a racist / Griffin's careful defence, onto policy and it was a shit show super quickly as he had no clear policies that stood up to any prodding.
  • Options
    kle4 said:
    Talk among ourselves.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Cyclefree said:

dixiedean said:

Yes, I agree there are young men with a similar sense. The evidence is all around. The difference is that those who aspire to lead from younger generations generally don't treat it as a peccadillo to be indulged.
    This is the point that needs to change. The outright enabling from those in power needs to stop.
    Boris. Apparently popular with Tories and some from the younger generation on here. His peccadillos are very much indulged.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,313
    edited April 2019

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

LOL!
    I think that should not be assumed. To some extent it will depend on the last minute theatrics, who takes over as Tory leader and so on.
    That is the point. Some people (me sir, me sir) might think it would be the most extraordinary and extraodinarily bad thing if Francois were to become PM but it is certainly possible and what further cover does Lab need than pointing this out for opposing every damn thing the govt proposes.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,074
    isam said:

Not guilty

I should think not after this morning's revelation that Leave means Remain.
  • Options

dixiedean said:

Curse of new thread.
    Am beginning to think passing TMs Deal may turn out to be the worst possible result for the government. All other scenarios, and blame can be deflected. Especially, as the government may well fall, leaving another to deal with the fall out. In that one, you still have a fractured, resentful Party, still in power, with no one else to shoulder the responsibility.
    And no solution to the fundamental problem...we don't know what future relationship we want.

Seems to me that the government will fall in any case. Either May will put her deal again and lose again or, more likely, she will be forced to ask for a long extension for either a referendum or a general election. And that will be her last act as PM.
    Seems about right. Logical or not parliament will not approve her deal (and it is seen that way so it is about her, despite Becketts insults) and every other option (and even that one probably) cause a split and a collapse.
  • Options
    nielhnielh Posts: 1,307
    isam said:

Yes! They’re the party that seek to deny the biggest change in British political history in favour of maintaining the status quo... 1984-esque branding
    Brexit has killed satire.
  • Options

If parliament were to vote with a clear majority in favour of revocation, you'd have a point. Without such a vote, the legal position is unclear and it's not realistic politically.
    It's another example of the unreality of the situation, that there are people who seem to think it feasible that May will break totally with her party and lead about 30 of her MPs into alliance with Labour, in order to revoke Brexit or hold a second referendum.
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    kle4 said:

Extension to do what?

Quite. The Cherry motion yesterday was the one. That had teeth. Revoke if we get within 48 hours of No Deal. Pity it came from the SNP. That ruled it out.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,003
    isam said:
    I am getting a Yugoslavia in the summer of '91 vibe.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

It's another example of the unreality of the situation, that there are people who seem to think it feasible that May will break totally with her party and lead about 30 of her MPs into alliance with Labour, in order to revoke Brexit or hold a second referendum.
    An alliance to do something which the Labour leadership doesn't even want!
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,987
    Good afternoon, everyone.

Has the Commons decided what it doesn't approve of today?
  • Options
    brendan16 said:

isam said:
    Surely it is just a reminder you are leaving the Essex mainland?

Presumably they had a ferry across to Mersea before they built the causeway?
    They must have coerced a remainer into writing it, because it doesn't have a misappropriated apostrophe
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,124

YouTube has placed more restrictions around the video channel of English Defence League founder Tommy Robinson.

Clips uploaded by Mr Robinson have been removed from search results and he is blocked from streaming live events via the site.

Messages warning that his videos may not be appropriate for all viewers will also play before clips.

YouTube had already, in January, decided to suspend adverts on Mr Robinson's channel.

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-47786252

I have to say I find this rather concerning. I am no fan of his, but as far as I know he has done nothing wrong on the platform, so surely should be treated equally until he does do something wrong.

Where do we stop? We say Alex Jones should go because he was pushing dangerous conspiracy theories, now Tommy Robinson, where does it stop? Carl Benjamin, again not a fan, but is getting restricted on various platforms (twitter I can understand the ban), but again his content isn't my cup of tea but doesn't seem crazy extremist.

I thought Jones was booted because he told libelous lies about the Sandy Hook parents?

Do you think private companies should have rules imposed on them about who they offer their services to?
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

That is the point. Some people (me sir, me sir) might think it would be the most extraordinary and extraodinarily bad thing if Francois were to become PM but it is certainly possible and what further cover does Lab need than pointing this out for opposing every damn thing the govt proposes.

Francois as Tory leader. That will make Marxists of us all.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091

If the EU genuinely does refuse a proper extension, do you not think it's quite likely that a majority of the Commons WILL vote to revoke A50?
  • Options
    NemtynakhtNemtynakht Posts: 2,311
    Sean_F said:

kinabalu said:

That's fair enough.

As an aside, I'd say that almost everyone who wants compromise wants compromise from thee, not from me.
    I’d say in this the language of political discourse is part of the blame - the labour side being the best to deploy language.

Things like bedroom tax, and cliff edge Brexit don’t allow opponents to appreciate the benefits in their opponents schemes.

The Tory headbangers and unfortunately most of Labour would be hard pressed to name an opposition policy that they thought was a good idea, name a good person from the opposition politicians, or name an opposition politician that they are friends with. I note with this that Tom Watson today talked about working together with pro EU Tories - this is good news in fact and framing of the debate
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,937

Yep, it's not realistic politically. It would destroy the Conservative party. But if we get to No Deal it will be because Mrs May's government has rejected the chance to revoke.

• Options
    Danny565 said:

If the EU genuinely does refuse a proper extension, do you not think it's quite likely that a majority of the Commons WILL vote to revoke A50?
    I think it would be very close.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Good question. Dunno.
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    Cyclefree said:

dixiedean said:

Cyclefree said:

dixiedean said:

Boris. Apparently popular with Tories and some from the younger generation on here. His peccadillos are very much indulged.
    I think the difference is whether it involves consenting participants.

Boris may be a rogue and you can judge him morally but that is a whole different matter.
  • Options
    TheValiantTheValiant Posts: 1,710

kle4 said:
    Agreed.

I could easily see a hilarious position whereby the UK is constantly in 'Article 50' mode. Extend, extend, extend but never leave (or revoke). Bit like how Income Tax is a temporary measure to fund the Napoleonic wars.

If we are to extend again (and for a final time) I see only THREE reasons why:

1. For a Referendum;
    2. For a General Election
    3. Because the government want to scrap the Deal currently negotiated and try again.

I see no reason for any other extension. And I doubt the EU would entertain (3) anyway, so unless its (1) or (2), I just wouldn't bother.

Who the hell wants another year of this shitshow?
  • Options

kle4 said:
    All seems like a lot of desperate displacement activity and probably bad law. I seem to recall people saying it was wrong of May to ram something through, but it's ok to rush through actual legislation super quick rather than agree something that provides a reason for an extension?
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,864
    Pulpstar said:

<
    Big increase in cartoon horse racing I think !

Is Tiger Roll as good as all that ? Perhaps a straight lay on the Betfair exchanges is 'the bet'...

There'll be no change in the torrent of "virtual" racing. That's been there all the time - no one bets on it as far as I can see. It creates an illusion of activity to lure in the stupid and the gullible (like me I imagine). There's morning dog racing from the real world starting as early as 8.12 for those who like their greyhounds Irish and their breakfast English.

The view from the bookies is the shops have to be "busy" with a betting opportunity every minute or two. If today is anything to go by, that's coming to an end. Like other aspects of the High Street, retail bookmaking is going to lose out to the online world - most of those in the East Ham shops were old, white and male (me included). The FOBT players (who were only one of the three) have gone.

As for TIGER ROLL, he might well win and the handicapper has given him a right chance but 7/2!! He could be carried out or brought down at the first or indeed any of the other 30 obstacles. It's a price only for the mugs as is RATHVINDEN at 8s. I was told by Grandpa Stodge every horse should be 10/1 just to get round but that was a different race. It's still a spectacle but it's lost something and is really Britain's attempt at emulating the Melbourne Cup these days.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    Sean_F said:

Danny565 said:

I think it would be very close.
    Close-ish, but I'd be surprised if there would be many Labour rebels in that circumstance - I'm not even sure Caroline Flint would rebel.

So it would basically come down to whether a Tory rebellion could be kept down to less than 20....seems unlikely to me, but who knows.
  • Options

I could easily see a hilarious position whereby the UK is constantly in 'Article 50' mode. Extend, extend, extend but never leave (or revoke). Bit like how Income Tax is a temporary measure to fund the Napoleonic wars.

If we are to extend again (and for a final time) I see only THREE reasons why:

1. For a Referendum;
    2. For a General Election
    3. Because the government want to scrap the Deal currently negotiated and try again.

I see no reason for any other extension. And I doubt the EU would entertain (3) anyway, so unless its (1) or (2), I just wouldn't bother.

Or at a push, a Referendum AND a General Election (either order).
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787

kle4 said:
    Agreed.

The annual Meaningful Vote could replace the Outlawries Bill as part of the arcana surrounding the State Opening of Parliament.
This discussion has been closed.