Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » More pressure is piled on the ERG to back the deal today

Comments

• Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223

Since her constituency - in which I live - was strongly remain, you could argue that those statements cost her votes.

Besides, when the situation changes (and it sure as heck has changed), reasonable people can change their minds. We're nearly three years on from the referendum, and it's all a bit of a mess, isn't it?

You have my pity. Being represented by a liar like that cannot be something any reasonable person would be proud of.
    As I have met her on a number of occasions Richard, I have to tell you, you are talking bollox. She strikes me as a highly principled person. You don't agree with her world view, fine, but she is no more a liar than anyone else. Boris Johnson or Nigel Farage she ain't
    She either lied to get elected, or she won’t give her electorate the opportunity to ratify her change of party.

That is not principled.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Just imagine selling your inheritance for a mess of pottage and then not even getting that.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,298
    AndyJS said:

well this seems very much like Endgame for this premiership.

I feel sorry for her. Hope we don't end up with Raab, Johnson or Hunt next.
    Was Major the last time we had a PM better than the previous one?
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,045

Richard, I don't think you are familiar with the area she represents. It is one of the strongest remain areas in the country. With respect to those quotes, they are not necessarily lies. I think the benefit of the doubt and some respect is due to those that change their mind when the facts become clearer, and they become clearer by the day that Brexit is a fiasco. I am sure you know the quote from John Maynard Keynes.

I have little or no respect for MPs even at the best of times. But I certainly have no respect for MPs that lie openly to get themselves elected.
    Richard, IMO you're out of order on this. Heaven forfend an MP follow the way her constituents voted in the referendum!
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,811

Dan Sabbagh

@dansabbagh
    Labour sources in the division lobbies saying they think they have won comfortably

Great. What do they plan to do next then? Particularly if the WA is, in fact, more popular than other options?
  • Options
    Bob__SykesBob__Sykes Posts: 1,176
    edited March 2019
    DavidL said:

So this isn’t a MV. What the hell is the point of that?

To win a guaranteed extension from the EU, per the terms set out last weekend.
  • Options
    Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,790

JRM in the aye lobby.

That would be the same Moggster who stated he would stick with the Bowler Hats?
    Emily Maitlis shamed him into it, by accusing him of taking the DUP whip .
    Perhaps he asked for it, in order to be a latter day Enoch, and was told he was a Papist and therefore not eligible
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,637

JRM in the aye lobby.

That would be the same Moggster who stated he would stick with the Bowler Hats?
    Emily Maitlis shamed him into it, by accusing him of taking the DUP whip .
    Remembered that he takes the Papal whip!
  • Options
    DavidL said:

To set the scene ahead of the indicative votes on Monday.

• Options
    DavidL said:

To show the EU that we're trying to avoid no deal, you know that thing leavers said was Project Fear but now say is nothing to be feared.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,664

Richard, I don't think you are familiar with the area she represents. It is one of the strongest remain areas in the country. With respect to those quotes, they are not necessarily lies. I think the benefit of the doubt and some respect is due to those that change their mind when the facts become clearer, and they become clearer by the day that Brexit is a fiasco. I am sure you know the quote from John Maynard Keynes.

I have little or no respect for MPs even at the best of times. But I certainly have no respect for MPs that lie openly to get themselves elected.
    Richard, IMO you're out of order on this. Heaven forfend an MP follow the way her constituents voted in the referendum!
    Or change their minds...

• Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,694
    IanB2 said:

AndyJS said:

Blair
  • Options
    PendduPenddu Posts: 265
    We should use a soft C with CUK .. the Suckers !!!
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,965

Not at all. It is not the fact that she is a devout Remainer that is the problem, it is the fact she lied about it repeatedly at the election to make sure she got elected. Ken Clarke has my great admiration even though he is a devout Remainer because he has always been honest about his position and made clear he opposed Brexit at the last election.
  • Options
    Beeb estimated loss of 40-60, so presumably they are getting their information from PB.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,322

DavidL said:

To show the EU that we're trying to avoid no deal, you know that thing leavers said was Project Fear but now say is nothing to be feared.
    But she is going to lose. Again.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

AndyJS said:

Blair
    Not making a huge mistake is basic tho
  • Options
    Boom!
  • Options
    Ayes 286
    Noes 344
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870
    Government loses 286-344.

RIP TMSD*

(*Theresa May's ...Suboptimal Deal)
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    Penddu said:

Like cex (the iffy second hand electronics store) is pronounced sex.
  • Options
    Government defeat by 58.
  • Options

Beeb estimated loss of 40-60, so presumably they are getting their information from PB.

Nailed it!
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,709
    58 votes.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,009
    Game over, man. Game over.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850

RIP TMSD*

Out by one.
  • Options
    Lost by 58. Not particularly close.
  • Options

Penddu said:

Like cex (the iffy second hand electronics store) is pronounced sex.
    Their wifi network is called 'Unprotected cex', well the one in Sheffield does.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

But she is going to lose. Again.
    Everyone knew that was very likely. But given the EU gave us a date based on the WA being approved this week, it’s only reasonable to at least try. My assumption is it is purely about positioning so that people who were crowing about the CU and referendum options getting more votes in IV1 can be told than MV2.5 got more, for what that is worth.
  • Options
    May: Nothing has changed
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Lost by 58. Not particularly close.

It’s been dead for awhile. But it still currently the most popular option in the House, until Monday at least.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    Well, that's a few quid for me at least.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,937
    No-one can be happy about this. Can someone tell me what to think please. I just have no idea anymore.
  • Options
    Jesus. Even now, nothing has changed. Is she that deluded?
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Game over, man. Game over.

Taking off and nuking the site from orbit has some appeal you have to admit
  • Options

Jesus. Even now, nothing has changed. Is she that deluded?

It’s already in parliament’s hands, it doesn’t matter if she is or not. We shall see what they come up with on Monday.
  • Options

Not at all. It is not the fact that she is a devout Remainer that is the problem, it is the fact she lied about it repeatedly at the election to make sure she got elected. Ken Clarke has my great admiration even though he is a devout Remainer because he has always been honest about his position and made clear he opposed Brexit at the last election.
    Not at all. She had made her personal views very clear wrt the referendum. I should know - I got the articles she wrote in our village paper! Now, I realise that you are an arch-leaver, but that doesn't make your comments about her correct.
  • Options
    RoyalBlue said:

Since her constituency - in which I live - was strongly remain, you could argue that those statements cost her votes.

Besides, when the situation changes (and it sure as heck has changed), reasonable people can change their minds. We're nearly three years on from the referendum, and it's all a bit of a mess, isn't it?

You have my pity. Being represented by a liar like that cannot be something any reasonable person would be proud of.
    As I have met her on a number of occasions Richard, I have to tell you, you are talking bollox. She strikes me as a highly principled person. You don't agree with her world view, fine, but she is no more a liar than anyone else. Boris Johnson or Nigel Farage she ain't
    She either lied to get elected, or she won’t give her electorate the opportunity to ratify her change of party.

That is not principled.
    I think risking one's political career rather than support a course of action that you believe will cause immense damage to the country, nay, has already caused immense damage to the country, sounds a bit more principled than the ERG who have just caved in and left their friends the DUP isolated.

Try and be principled yourself; admit you just don't like her because she is opposed to Brexit. Or do you prefer the comfort of faux outrage so beloved of supporters of the self-harm that is otherwise known as Brexit? The self righteous bellowing of "blasphemer" at anyone that does not share your isolationist utopian religion?
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited March 2019
    Theresa May: "I fear we are reaching the limits of this process in this house."

You can't ask for a much clearer hint than that!

Note that this gives Labour an even bigger incentive than they had before to continue with their wrecking tactics next Monday.
  • Options
    NormNorm Posts: 1,251
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395

No-one can be happy about this. Can someone tell me what to think please. I just have no idea anymore.

Referendum and general election on the same day.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    About half of his previous ERG support decided otherwise
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,930
    How many times will a "People's vote" be defeated :)
  • Options
    He seems to have a different view of what her words were than I recall them being reported as. As for giving up, while she should move on to another option I don’t see how he is someone who can reasonably say that - no matter how many times it is shown the ERG’s preferred option is not supported by a lot more than don’t support May, they still insist it is their way or the high way.

Or in short, STFU Steve Baker.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,965

Not at all. She had made her personal views very clear wrt the referendum. I should know - I got the articles she wrote in our village paper! Now, I realise that you are an arch-leaver, but that doesn't make your comments about her correct.
    I can only assume you were not paying attention when she said this then:

“We must respect the democratic outcome of the referendum and work positively together to ensure we make Brexit a success.”

“I was a remainer, but the EU ref result is final and cannot be rerun.”
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092

Hard to be unhappy about it either, unless you somehow didn't see this coming since last November.
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    These are not Points of Order - they are pointless pontificating
  • Options

Theresa May: "I fear we are reaching the limits of this process in this house."

You can't ask for a much clearer hint than that!

Note that this gives Labour an even bigger incentive than they had before to continue with their wrecking tactics next Monday.

A GE might well return an even more hung Parliament, although it might clear out some of the awkward squad.
  • Options
    Norm said:
    ERG and DUP finish brexit
  • Options
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,977
    kle4 said:

He seems to have a different view of what her words were than I recall them being reported as. As for giving up, while she should move on to another option I don’t see how he is someone who can reasonably say that - no matter how many times it is shown the ERG’s preferred option is not supported by a lot more than don’t support May, they still insist it is their way or the high way.

The ERG - particularly Steve Baker- are utter cretins. They had Brexit in their hands. They've blown it.

• Options
    IanB2 said:
    Or no deal arrangements
  • Options
    Norm said:
    It’s both.
  • Options

“We must respect the democratic outcome of the referendum and work positively together to ensure we make Brexit a success.”

You are repeating yourself Richard. I refer you to my answer earlier. The quote from John Maynard Keynes one? Only a few minutes ago.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,009

May: Nothing has changed

She's once, twice, three times a loser and we haaaa-a-aate her...
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092
    Sean_F said:

My guess is that the government gets 285 votes.

Nice
  • Options
    I think we have to have a GE now. An utterly deadlocked parliament, even if the EU offers us the mercy of a long extension, the current Govt cannot do anything with it with this Parliament.

However, I wouldn't be at all surprised if we ended up with a similarly constituted House after that.

Then what?
  • Options

These are not Points of Order - they are pointless pontificating

Technically it is a misuse of procedure but it is the House's custom to allow the procedure to be used for party leaders to respond to big decisions
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    So much for Norman Smith it will be close line from the Tory Broadcast Organisation !

• Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,988
    Good afternoon, everyone.

Just seen the news. Pretty surprised, to be honest.

Leclerc topped first practice, as tipped by me, each way, at 13 (14 with boost). Nice turn of luck.
  • Options

`It's a bit of a mystery why she joined the Conservatives rather than the Lib Dems She agreed with the Conservatives about very little.
  • Options
    Norm said:
    How many ERGs are still holding out? Most seem to have folded.
  • Options
    Then she is even more foolish than I imagined.
  • Options

kle4 said:

The ERG - particularly Steve Baker- are utter cretins. They had Brexit in their hands. They've blown it.

So staunch that they can't even vote for a Brexit that isn't Brexity enough.

The DUP at least have some iffy reasoning linked to the Irish border.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,760
    IanB2 said:
    Or not. Needs unanimity among the 27 and Macron & French public opinion is against it.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,664

Good afternoon, everyone.

Just seen the news. Pretty surprised, to be honest.

Leclerc topped first practice, as tipped by me, each way, at 13 (14 with boost). Nice turn of luck.

Congrats on ignoring my quibbling about the bet !
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited March 2019
    Deleted
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,826
    Will Theresa be the front man/woman for Con though? :open_mouth:
  • Options

Yes, I was paying attention. And you have not been paying attention as the project that you have supported for decades to leave the EU has descended into farce.

The situation has changed. Reasonable people can change their minds. But Allen has not suddenly changed from a Europhobe into a remainer; she's always been a steadfast remainer. That's always been clear.
  • Options
    RH1992RH1992 Posts: 788
    Francois et al staying true to form then.

https://commonsvotes.digiminster.com/Divisions/Details/664
  • Options

I'm thinking maybe it isn't up to her any more?
  • Options
    NormNorm Posts: 1,251
    DavidL said:

Norm said:
    Not sure 25? Largely the boggley eyed variety.
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,709
    GIN1138 said:

Will Theresa be the front man/woman for Con though? :open_mouth:
    what time is there for anything else?
  • Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223
    kle4 said:

Then she is even more foolish than I imagined.
    It’s the only way.

An election now would be about Brexit, whatever Corbyn would prefer. As long as May can gather 80% of the Leaver vote and some anti-Corbynites, she will get her majority.

Let’s get on with it.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,408
    Sean_F said:

RIP TMSD*

Out by one.
    Good guess! I was 270-280 votes and a defeat by 60-80 votes.

So, closer than I thought.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Norm said:
    ABout half I think.

Topic being discussed in the office - a few comments in support of May, surprisingly, mostly due to dislike of Boris it seems. Not really thinking about a GE yet, surprisingly.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,408
    I think the Conservatives get hammered in any new GE.
  • Options
    No chance, there aren't that many supporters in any single constituency. Tommy Robinson MEP OTOH is not so far fetched.
  • Options
    Mark Stone says the 10th April Council meeting will require TM to provide a clear majority HOC decision and to agree to take part in Eu elections

They are ready for no deal and the WDA will not be opened
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited March 2019
    edit
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    I thought he was back off to the clink due to that live streaming outside a trial?
  • Options

I think the Conservatives get hammered in any new GE.

I'm not so sure.
  • Options
    34 conservative rebels plus DUP equals fall of the deal
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

No chance, there aren't that many supporters in any single constituency. Tommy Robinson MEP OTOH is not so far fetched.
    Isn't he in in the middle of yet more contempt of court proceedings? He's more chance of getting sentenced than elected.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

`It's a bit of a mystery why she joined the Conservatives rather than the Lib Dems She agreed with the Conservatives about very little.
    I actually disagree with that as well. She's Conservative (if a centrist one) on many issues: yes, she has been against the party on some home issues, but then you could say the same about Cameron pre-2005 when the party was rather to the right.

Like Soubry, her attitude to the EU is the biggest point of divergence from the party.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,858
    Or a referendum.

A GE is playing Russian Roulette with the Tory Party. By all means do it, but from a position of strength.

Frankly, that is not currently the case.

As much as Corbyn is unelectable, the public is particularly febrile at present.
  • Options
    Hopefully for the sake of the country May will make a better fist of her second GE campaign.

That said, the macabre entertainment value in a Corbyn premiership would make a change from the daily ennui of Brexit. And he would then have to make some decisions!
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,933
    edited March 2019
    The amount of times I was told Farage was a mad extremist and UKIP would widen their appeal when he left...
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

No, the Conservative Party joined UKIP en masse.

There were a few genuine Conservatives like Heidi left over from the selection processes from the days when a decent part of the party believed in sound government and a pro-business economy.
This discussion has been closed.