Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The danger for TMay is that in wooing ERG hardliners she might

1234568»

Comments

• Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,452

Artist said:

I'm really not sure of the legitimacy of railroading something through that only got 260 odd votes in its first go, despite MPs getting multiple picks. The Customs Union option was way off a majority, didn't command cross party support, got next to no governing party support and didn't even get the most votes out of the all the options. Is Letwin really going to claim on Monday that the mish mash of Labour MPs, a tiny Tory pro remain section and SNP/LD/Tig third choice votes is the valid desired wish of the House that must be acted upon?

The Customs Union went down 264 vs 272, that's definitely not "way off a majority".

As for the next step I don't think he's going to say, "OK, we're done, CU got the most votes so that's the answer". I think now that he's shown up which options are DOA and which ones might be viable, he's going to try a different kind of vote and try to work out if there's anything that parliament can get behind.
    Exactly. They need a system where you can't vote "no", since we all know there has to be an option, and everything from Revoke through no deal was on the table. Eliminate the obvious non-runners, decide whether to introduce some new choices based on combinations of the more popular options, and run the remaining options with either AV or multiple ballots.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,401
    Well, that was an interesting night, wasn't it?

It's definitively cleared up one thing though.

Guy Fawkes was right.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151

We're running out of time again. If the Tories somehow get the DUP back on side, they've still got the obstacle of Bercow again. Meanwhile, we still a way away from any consensus on any of the other options.

10 days excluding weekends.

If they can somehow get the DUP (not to mention their own irredeemables) back on side they can vote themselves a procedure that gets them around Bercow. No sign of this, though.
    Should the Government elect to tack a Referendum onto the Withdrawal Agreement then Bercow's opposition would presumably fall away (as this would surely constitute a significant change) and it would have a decent chance of passing on the back of Labour votes. The major problem with this, of course, is that May refuses to throw in the towel on a second vote, and as long as she does we are back to No Deal versus Revocation.

Again, without a Deal, Leaving on April 12 is the law, and No Deal is the default option. Tick tick tick...
    Yup, I'd have thought MV+Referendum would be a new thing, but like I say, if she's showing up with enough votes to pass whatever she's trying to pass then she should also have enough votes to vote to have the vote, so Bercow isn't really an obstacle here in the first place.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    Sean_F said:

Jonathan said:

Sean_F said:

rkrkrk said:

IanB2 said:

rkrkrk said:

Sandpit said:

Morning. So the MPs voted against everything. What was the point of that exercise exactly?

The plan was to indicate what the House can support.
    Now they can use AV to rank proposals and end up with something that gets a majority.
    Looks like soft Brexit will win the day.
    People on PB were saying that soft Brexit is the answer two years ago. It was just our PM that couldn't see it.

The question for Monday will be with or without another referendum. Decision time for the people's vote.
    I was surprised how well the second vote option did.
    On reflection, I don't think it did.

On a whipped vote, 27 Labour MP's opposed it, and several more, from Leave voting seats, abstained. 4 ex-Labour MP's voted against. On a free vote, only 8 Tories voted in favour and senior ministers abstained. In real terms, that suggests 346 Mp's oppose it (305 Con, 27 Labour, 10 DUP, 4 ex-Labour).
    If May swallowed her pride and whipped her deal with a vote, it would pass.
    Not necessarily.
    Perhaps not, but nonetheless the Beckett proposal fell short by less than 30 votes even when the Tories were given a free vote and the cabinet sat it out. If Parliament really wants to avoid being confronted with a choice between revoke and the cliff edge on April 11th then this seems to be the most viable alternative. The question now is whether or not the willpower exists to make it happen.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,010
    Good morning, everyone.

Glancing at the numbers, I would've thought May's deal subject to a second referendum would be the way MPs might jump.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,974

Sean_F said:

Jonathan said:

Sean_F said:

rkrkrk said:

IanB2 said:

rkrkrk said:

Sandpit said:

Morning. So the MPs voted against everything. What was the point of that exercise exactly?

Now they can use AV to rank proposals and end up with something that gets a majority.
    People on PB were saying that soft Brexit is the answer two years ago. It was just our PM that couldn't see it.

The question for Monday will be with or without another referendum. Decision time for the people's vote.

On a whipped vote, 27 Labour MP's opposed it, and several more, from Leave voting seats, abstained. 4 ex-Labour MP's voted against. On a free vote, only 8 Tories voted in favour and senior ministers abstained. In real terms, that suggests 346 Mp's oppose it (305 Con, 27 Labour, 10 DUP, 4 ex-Labour).
    Not necessarily.
    Perhaps not, but nonetheless the Beckett proposal fell short by less than 30 votes even when the Tories were given a free vote and the cabinet sat it out. If Parliament really wants to avoid being confronted with a choice between revoke and the cliff edge on April 11th then this seems to be the most viable alternative. The question now is whether or not the willpower exists to make it happen.
    It seems to me that the Conservative Party must really, really hate the idea of a Second Referendum if only 8 support it on a free vote (and polling plainly bears this out).
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,168

Brexit was, is and always will be undeliverable because the Brexit people were promised was never remotely possible. Brexit involves profoundly difficult, deeply unpopular choices. We are where we are because fools and liars denied this.

This is the fundamental, undeniable truth about Brexit.
  • Options
    May needs to move on from her deal. It Will Not Pass.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151

I guess the other question is how much hardball the EU side wants to play. There are now at least two options that look like they might fly if TMay got behind them (although neither is a cert), CU and Deal-Subject-To-Referendum. But if TMay doesn't want to get behind any of them, parliament can't force her to.

So do they refuse an extension unless she'll commit to something, or do they let her just lie there luxuriating in the treacle?
  • Options
    alex.alex. Posts: 4,658

Sean_F said:

Jonathan said:

Sean_F said:

rkrkrk said:

IanB2 said:

rkrkrk said:

Sandpit said:

Not necessarily.
    The fact that they haven’t cancelled weekends yet proves how unserious they all are IMO

• Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143

If there's a third vote, and the margin of defeat is smaller than the second, she will certainly want a fourth vote.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    dixiedean said:

Drutt said:

HOC to pass MV3 was evens (or even marginally shorter) earlier on. It went out to 3/1 on the DUP's announcement, now back to 2/1.

Putting the MV3 effectively into the WA and having it as a confidence vote on Friday seems like the only shot the PM's got to get the deal through. On my maths she'd get 312 Con votes (Clarke not standing again so he, and the DUP, abstain). She'd still need a couple of Flint / Barron / Hoey / Skinner to tie, and of course she'd need one more because, y'know, Bercow.

THE DUP DO NOT ABSTAIN ON THE UNION.
    To quote,Dodds earlier.
    The idea the DUP would abstain is up there with The SNP would support a Tory government in a vote of confidence in the "Why would any political commentator think this" stakes.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    ydoethur said:

Well, that was an interesting night, wasn't it?

It's definitively cleared up one thing though.

Guy Fawkes was right.

Well, he avoided being hung drawn and quartered whilst still alive, so I guess from that angle you are correct.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,727

Because they're extremists against any form of Brexit. Why do people keep parroting this like its a shock?
    Extremists for the Status Quo.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,913
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Jonathan said:

Sean_F said:

rkrkrk said:

IanB2 said:

rkrkrk said:

Sandpit said:

Not necessarily.
    It seems to me that the Conservative Party must really, really hate the idea of a Second Referendum if only 8 support it on a free vote (and polling plainly bears this out).
    And yet it is a clear, obvious way out of this mess. She would get her deal passed by HoC and would be well positioned to go to the country.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,792

FF43 said:

MaxPB said:

Jonathan said:

AndyJS said:

It's interesting that if just 14 MPs had voted the other way, the option of holding a second referendum would have passed.

It’s a damn sight closer to passing than Mays deal.
    Yeah but it doesn't include loads of the payroll vote in the no lobby.
    The assumption - not a given admittedly - is that the government wants a consensus and would therefore remove the barriers they have put up to prevent such a consensus.
    The explicit statement - as opposed to your assumption - is that May will not support anything that goes against her manifesto pledges. So no CU, no SM and no Losers Revote.
    And in that case no workable Brexit.
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,017
    edited March 2019
    Are we definitely not leaving tomorrow? I know the EU have given us a free pass to stay for another couple of weeks, but what has been done under British law to extend the date?
  • Options
    FF43 said:

FF43 said:

MaxPB said:

Jonathan said:

AndyJS said:

It's interesting that if just 14 MPs had voted the other way, the option of holding a second referendum would have passed.

It’s a damn sight closer to passing than Mays deal.
    Yeah but it doesn't include loads of the payroll vote in the no lobby.
    The assumption - not a given admittedly - is that the government wants a consensus and would therefore remove the barriers they have put up to prevent such a consensus.
    The explicit statement - as opposed to your assumption - is that May will not support anything that goes against her manifesto pledges. So no CU, no SM and no Losers Revote.
    And in that case no workable Brexit.
    Yes, at the moment that would mean revocation, no-deal, or replacement of May by someone more favourable in the time allowed.
  • Options

Are we definitely not leaving tomorrow? I know the EU have given us a free pass to stay for another couple of weeks, but what has been done under British law to extend the date?

The Regulations changing the date were carried yesterday.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,792
    edited March 2019
    Jonathan said:

Sean_F said:

rkrkrk said:

IanB2 said:

rkrkrk said:

Sandpit said:

May's Deal with referendum is risky for all factions:

If you are a hard Brexiteer, you risk remaining.
    If you are a Remainer, you risk baking in a hard Brexit that has been endorsed by a vote.
    If you are a soft Leaver, you will almost certainly get either Remain or Hard Brexiteer, neither of which you want.

While it's attractive option in terms of driving to a clear outcome, the risks of getting a clear outcome they don't want is probably too high for too many people.
  • Options

If there's a third vote, and the margin of defeat is smaller than the second, she will certainly want a fourth vote.
    No MV3 will be the last gasp. All the reasons why people might switch in her favour are in play; the reasons why people won't - including now the prospect of an even more hardline PM - are growing stronger. She's a dead PM walking and the opposition have no reason to hasten her replacement.
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,017
    IanB2 said:

So they did agree something then...
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited March 2019
    FF43 said:

Jonathan said:

Sean_F said:

rkrkrk said:

IanB2 said:

rkrkrk said:

Sandpit said:

If you are a Remainer, you risk baking in a hard Brexit that has been endorsed by a vote.
    If you are a soft Leaver, you will almost certainly get either Remain or Hard Brexiteer, neither of which you want.

While it's attractive option in terms of driving to a clear outcome, the risks of getting a clear outcome they don't want is probably too high for too many people.
    On the other hand, if it comes down to votes either for that or revocation, I think a large group of the Tories could even try and get rid of May to achieve it. It postpones, and possibly ameliorates, their self-destruction. The no-deal and revocation without a referendum options are much worse for them.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

Jonathan said:

Sean_F said:

rkrkrk said:

IanB2 said:

rkrkrk said:

Sandpit said:

It's the only way to bring the deal back from the dead. Otherwise we are looking at a softer Brexit, and that too might be linked to a referendum. Remainers know that revocation almost certainly needs a referendum anyway.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

So they did agree something then...
    And someone lost some serious money on Betfair.
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    This thread will

resign

if you vote for the next one
  • Options
    _Anazina__Anazina_ Posts: 1,810
    kle4 said:

_Anazina_ said:

So the following 8 Tories voted for a 2nd referendum:

Bebb, Greening, Grieve, Gyimah, Jo Johnson, Lee, Merriman, Sandbach

The following 10 Tories voted for revoke:

Bebb, Clarke, Duncan, Field, Freer, Greening, Grieve, Hammond, Harrington, Lee

There is a surprising lack of overlap between the two lists. Bebb, Greening, Grieve and Lee are the only ones on both.

Phil Hammond voted to revoke A50?
    There are other Hammonds
    Deal vs May in a referendum looks to be the way out of this. I think that passes easily.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    IanB2 said:

This thread will

resign

if you vote for the next one
    The PB comparable to the Maybot MV would be OGH demanding full follicular resplendence or the next thread will self combust.
This discussion has been closed.