Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » For Politicalbetting’s 15th anniversary today – a special cart

Comments

• Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

Yes. I tend to agree that not tidying this up domestically would be a mistake. All sorts of legal mischief/confusion would present themselves

The Si can't be done until we know the date, which we don't yet.

Article 50 has been extended, by us and the EU.

The extension has 2 fixed dates on it, dependent on the outcome of MV3. Until we have MV3 (or not) the SI can't amend the date...

But whatever happens, we can't lave on the 29th.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,482
    Care in the community has a great deal to answer for.
  • Options
    _Anazina__Anazina_ Posts: 1,810
    Great to see Stuart Dickson has returned from the cooler following his illegal posting of, erm, Caledonian subsamples.

Would be nice to see Tim pop in today - an absolute masterclass poster - if just to say hello.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,969
    Scott_P said:

What's that really, really, really loud whining noise?

https://twitter.com/SteveBakerHW/status/1109414086918455296

Baker is completely wrong on this.

Legally we do not vote for a Government. We vote for individual MPs who then collectively choose who will fbecome PM and form the Government. I may not agree with their aims but those backbenchers are perfectly entitled to over-rule the Government so long as they do not stray into the area of Royal Prerogative.
  • Options
    dotsdots Posts: 615
    Are you saying EU created space potentially for MPs to elbow May aside and seek a longer delay, perhaps resulting in no Brexit?

I’m saying they categorically didn’t. The EU set this up in their own interest, pass their WA or clean brexit.

the elbow May aside bit. 🙃🙃🙃May is not alone in her stance. You are elbowing Gove, Leadsome, and all the people in the cabinet, government, party and the country who support either them or Boris and ERG too. That’s going to take memorably bloody bit of elbowing to prevent a Clean brexit.

WA or Clean brexit. Place money on anything else and you are throwing it away.
  • Options
    _Anazina_ said:

Would be nice to see Tim pop in today - an absolute masterclass poster - if just to say hello.

Here in spirit...

https://twitter.com/GOsborneGenius/status/1109343603959173121
  • Options

Indeed, but it is extra special coming on the heels of his "the wrong Conservatives have their hands on the levers" comment...
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,126

On the train to London. Not for the March but for a show my daughter is in. Very busy, not helped by the original train being cancelled. Lots of EU flags and support on display in the train and good natured.

I may have voted LEAVE but I’ve got to admit May has made a complete hash of the process.

I wish she’d resign, though that wouldn’t necessarily help with the LOTO even worse!

I hope they are letting you share their tofu and quinoa wraps. By the time they are on the train home this evening they will all have stocked up with Good Brie.

I guess those with Family Railcards will have taken Tarquin and Jemima along as a development opportunity.
    Christ this culture war bollocks is tiresome. I went on the last march. Yes, it skewed middle class and white but I didn't see anyone eating quinoa or French cheese (oh the horror). There is a broad swathe of reasonable open minded people in this country who are sick to the back teeth of Brexit and all the damage it has done - chiefly so far the distraction from our real problems, such as the decimation of our public services. For what it's worth I hate quinoa and my kids haven't got wanky names. I am sure you have ten whippets and live exclusively on pies and your kids are all called Jaydon. You see, we can all do it and it's not big or clever. Oh and happy 15 years PB, you are a great news source.
    You've got me all wrong - it's a diet of Gregg's steak bakes that keeps me going. Well actually there is a packet of quinoa in our kitchen cupboard, and I don't mind the odd bit of meat substitute on occasion.

I know I'm using a cliché to describe the marchers - well done to those attending for turning out for a cause they believe in. And thank goodness we live in a society where they can do so free from fear.
    Isn't a Greggs steak bake basically a pie? Whatever you want to call it, I'm sure George Osborne thinks it's VATable. What did you think of the Greggs vegan sausage roll? What a time to be alive. Anyway, well done to the marchers. Alas dad duties trump Centrist Dad duties today so I am missing it.
  • Options
    _Anazina__Anazina_ Posts: 1,810
    Scott_P said:

_Anazina_ said:

Here in spirit...

Genius.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,753

notme2 said:

HYUFD said:
    I would grab this with both hands, but I’m not an ERG zealot or a revoking hypocrite.
    I think the main problem with this us that EFTA membership and a Customs union with the EU are mutually exclusive. I am not sure but I think this is indeed another unicorn.
    For various reasons, I think the parties will want to avoid the UK having its main relationship with the EU through the EEA. But a bespoke arrangement should be possible that includes the Single Market and customs union.
  • Options
    After this mess is fixed, we need to reinvigorate the Conservative Party. It needs to be a party which is in tune with the the Conservative instincts of the backbone of this great Country, not runs scared of the liberal elites in the establishment.(who cocked up Brexit when they should have played hard ball). And, as is already the case, be a party that is is firmly rooted in the domestic agenda to improve people's lives.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

notme2 said:

HYUFD said:
    I would grab this with both hands, but I’m not an ERG zealot or a revoking hypocrite.
    I think the main problem with this us that EFTA membership and a Customs union with the EU are mutually exclusive. I am not sure but I think this is indeed another unicorn.
    For various reasons, I think the parties will want to avoid the UK having its main relationship with the EU through the EEA. But a bespoke arrangement should be possible that includes the Single Market and customs union.
    I have to say I think that sounds rather like the cherry picking the EU was dead set against. Particularly as I suspect any British PM negotiating that would still be saying no FoM.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,833
    HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:
    Tough, May cannot now be challenged until December following her confidence vote win and she is stubborn enough to ignore Cabinet pressure to go
    You don't actually believe that.

If the Cabinet and PCP decided they wanted her out a way would be found...
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,610
    15 years of great headers and BTL comments, not many other websites can say the same!

I'm on the train from suburbia to central London, about three or four people's march types. Fewer than last time, but it's early I guess.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:
    Tough, May cannot now be challenged until December following her confidence vote win and she is stubborn enough to ignore Cabinet pressure to go

Of course she can be removed, indeed it is becoming very probable
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,351

Scott_P said:
    The only thing May had to offer was “apres moi, le deluge”.

Then she turned on all the taps, undermined the levies, and punctured the water siloes.

She needs to go as soon as possible.
    "What happens in the whips' office stays in the whips' office"? Yeah, right. LOL.
  • Options
    Many congratulations to Mike for giving us so many years of entertainment and interest!
  • Options
    StreeterStreeter Posts: 684

After this mess is fixed, we need to reinvigorate the Conservative Party. It needs to be a party which is in tune with the the Conservative instincts of the backbone of this great Country, not runs scared of the liberal elites in the establishment.(who cocked up Brexit when they should have played hard ball). And, as is already the case, be a party that is is firmly rooted in the domestic agenda to improve people's lives.

Will “fuck business” feature in its reinvigorated policies?
  • Options
    ...and to Marf for enhancing it with her gentle wit. My favourite remains the one with the bankers appreciating taxpayer support during the financial crisis - one saying something like "I really do appreciate taxpayers, though I've never met any."
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,753

FF43 said:

notme2 said:

HYUFD said:
    I have to say I think that sounds rather like the cherry picking the EU was dead set against. Particularly as I suspect any British PM negotiating that would still be saying no FoM.
    It's one of those declensions. You cherry pick. I have red lines.
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    And the latest famous person would've be well advised to keep quiet award goes to...

https://news.sky.com/story/barbra-streisand-michael-jacksons-alleged-victims-thrilled-to-be-at-neverland-11673163
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,883
    _Anazina_ said:

Scott_P said:

_Anazina_ said:

Here in spirit...

Genius.
    Tim appears to have more PB friends than when he was on PB
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,273

"After this mess is fixed"

Don't hold your breath. We have years of this ahead.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,989
    Happy birthday PB! Many thanks to OGH and son, and all the header writers who keep it going.
    Has been invaluable over the past few febrile years. Always informative, sometimes infuriating, occasionally eye-opening, never dull.
    Thanks to all the contributors too. The full gamut of insightful political opinions available, for the most part respectfully debated...
  • Options

Congratulations on hitting 15 years. :) I've followed and posted here since sometime in 2004 (under previous IDs).

Back in 2004 I was a moderate (though solid) Conservative voter in my late 20s... over these 15 years I've transitioned (via becoming a floating voter) through to my present status as an active member of my local Liberal Democrat branch in my mid 40s. Although national events would have taken me on this political journey anyway; I don't hesitate to credit the discussions here with helping in some small way to refine and modify my outlook. :)

Are you literally me under another name?
    That's almost exactly my story as well (albeit my only previous ID was simply "Andy" when the site was much smaller)
    LOL It's a funny world isn't it? I'm pretty sure I'm not you... though has anyone ever seen us both together in the same place?
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

Of course she can be removed, indeed it is becoming very probable
    Monday?
  • Options
    Happy Birthday PB.

I dare not wonder on how many hours I’ve spent on PB since I first discovered PB back in 2005.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,783
    GIN1138 said:

And the latest famous person would've be well advised to keep quiet award goes to...

https://news.sky.com/story/barbra-streisand-michael-jacksons-alleged-victims-thrilled-to-be-at-neverland-11673163

You’d think she, of all people had heard of “The Streisand effect”!
  • Options

Happy Birthday PB.

I dare not wonder on how many hours I’ve spent on PB since I first discovered PB back in 2005.

But just think is all the "vices" you'd have got up to without PB keeping you out of trouble... ;)
  • Options
    There's still a 3% return in one week for £3000 and 2% for £27000 on Betfair Exchange, if you are certain that we won't be out of the EU next Friday (which appears to be legally guaranteed, though DYOR). I've staked my Betfair pot (all of £140, so I stand to win...uh...£4).
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,855

_Anazina_ said:

Scott_P said:

_Anazina_ said:

Here in spirit...

Genius.
    He had a way with women.
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,818
    Sean_F said:

IanB2 said:

Roger said:

George O is VERY good on radio 4. When the history of Mrs May's many mistakes comes to be written her firing of him might come to be though of as her most egregious

Yep, he as good as suggested she isn't up to what lies ahead and should step down. Without being unnecessarily rude about it.

Meanwhile the petition (which he has signed) should achieve 4,000,000 very soon. Oddly the only previous petition that just passed four million also did so on the Saturday of an anti-Brexit demonstration, if a much smaller one.
    The biggest petition ever was the one in June 2016, straight after the Leave vote, demanding an immediate re-run.

Sore losers then. Bitter losers now.
    The one set up by Leavers in advance of the vote because they thought they were going to lose?
    That one?
    Which just goes to further prove my point about how it’s about the ends not the means.

There’s no great stand for democracy here. The cynicism is extraordinary.
    It does rather illustrate the double-standards on offer.
    Leavers love democracy and that's why they don't want another referendum and would have accepted the result if it went against them, while the democracy-hating Remainers signed a petition for another referendum.

A referendum set up by (democracy-loving) Leavers who thought they were going to lose and didn't want to accept the result if it went against them...
    Then again, the people who are marching today would not be offering a second referendum if they had won the first, and nor would they be demanding one if Parliament simply revoked A50.

Very true.
    If, though, it HAD gone 52-48 the other way, and had the outcome been different to what had been promised (eg if Cameron's renegotiated deal had been resiled from) and there been a swing to Leave, I'd have personally supported another referendum.
    (I may be talking my own bias as a previous soft Leaver who swung to reluctant Remain in the campaign, though).

I certainly wouldn't see Leaver calls for another referendum in those circumstances as being undemocratic or revolting, as some Leavers seem to do.
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870
    From Facebook: "Had a 2 hour wait at Oxford bus station as all busses to London are full. So far 3 extra busses have been put on."
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    IanB2 said:

13.4m to go then
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,018

Congratulations on hitting 15 years. :) I've followed and posted here since sometime in 2004 (under previous IDs).

Back in 2004 I was a moderate (though solid) Conservative voter in my late 20s... over these 15 years I've transitioned (via becoming a floating voter) through to my present status as an active member of my local Liberal Democrat branch in my mid 40s. Although national events would have taken me on this political journey anyway; I don't hesitate to credit the discussions here with helping in some small way to refine and modify my outlook. :)

Are you literally me under another name?
    That's almost exactly my story as well (albeit my only previous ID was simply "Andy" when the site was much smaller)
    LOL It's a funny world isn't it? I'm pretty sure I'm not you... though has anyone ever seen us both together in the same place?
    Years ago, when at work an extremely odd junior member of staff picked the same password as I did; wizardofoz, or something like that and logged into my account. The lady who ran the IT system was worried about the security breach, and even more worried about me.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    Charles said:

IanB2 said:

13.4m to go then
    Because when you are assessing apples, oranges are always the only comparator in town.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,129
    Charles said:

IanB2 said:

13.4m to go then
    or - 12m Remainers still doubting if they voted the right way in 2016......
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    I'm considering whether to join this party:

https://sdp.org.uk/new-declaration/
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,129

From Facebook: "Had a 2 hour wait at Oxford bus station as all busses to London are full. So far 3 extra busses have been put on."

It will no doubt be Chris Grayling's fault.....
  • Options

notme2 said:

The ‘losers’ are going to be all of us if a no deal Brexit happens.

Well get your MP to vote for the WA.
    No thanks mate. Revoke all the way. Only way to end this thing.
    The one thing that revoke is guaranteed not to do is “end this thing”!
  • Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223

Happy Birthday PB.

I suspect my degree classification may have been different if PB didn’t exist.

Anyway, many thanks to @MikeSmithson - you have created something wonderful, especially when one considers how political ‘debate’ operates elsewhere on the Internet. Thanks also to @TheScreamingEagles , @rcs1000 and the other moderators/administrators. Finally, thanks to @Cyclefree , @AlastairMeeks , @Sean_Fear and the many other article contributors.

For fellow PBers on the march today, while I profoundly disagree with the policy, I hope you all have an enjoyable and safe time and that the rain stays away.
  • Options

...and to Marf for enhancing it with her gentle wit. My favourite remains the one with the bankers appreciating taxpayer support during the financial crisis - one saying something like "I really do appreciate taxpayers, though I've never met any."

I like this one

especially since it is hanging on my wall
  • Options
    Charles said:

notme2 said:

Very much the reverse, I should think, except in the very short term.
  • Options
    I don't want to pull a Roger, but I predict the numbers for the march in London will at least equal those marching for Nigel Fucking Farage today
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,310
    Charles said:

notme2 said:

The nutters would continue to bang on (as they will just as unhappily if we leave) but they won't get a hearing from ordinary people after this shitshow.
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,900
    Charles said:

notme2 said:

Nothing is "going to end this thing" what ever happens. The country is split and passions are strong.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,893
    AndyJS said:

Rod Liddle has just joined it, I believe. So if you want to be in the same party as Rod Liddle, there is...that.
  • Options
    Charles said:

IanB2 said:

13.4m to go then
    The larger number is spinning down equally fast.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

AndyJS said:

Rod Liddle has just joined it, I believe. So if you want to be in the same party as Rod Liddle, there is...that.
    Yes I read his article in the Spectator the other day.
  • Options
    eristdoof said:

Charles said:

notme2 said:

Nothing is "going to end this thing" what ever happens. The country is split and passions are strong.
    Nah after we leave we’ll have 3 months of anguished “what have we done” articles, 6 months of doom spotting and then we’ll move onto other things

The FTA will attract much less attention.

The autumn GE is going to be fun though :)
  • Options

The problem is that Brexit isn't actually conservative. Despite what so many party members think.
  • Options
    More people have signed the petition in Edinburgh North & Leith than voted for the local MP at the last general election: 20,147 vs 19,243.

https://petitionmap.unboxedconsulting.com/?petition=241584
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,101

Scott_P said:

Legally we do not vote for a Government. We vote for individual MPs who then collectively choose who will fbecome PM and form the Government. I may not agree with their aims but those backbenchers are perfectly entitled to over-rule the Government so long as they do not stray into the area of Royal Prerogative.
    Though isn't what the ERG wants to do - backbenchers overturning an 'elected' government - the same thing as what Baker is complaining about.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

The problem is that Brexit isn't actually conservative. Despite what so many party members think.
    It depends what you most value as a Conservative. On the one hand, tradition, sovereignty and independence. On the other, the free movement of capital, people and goods. At present, a very large majority of Conservatives favour the former over the latter.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,208
    edited March 2019
    viewcode said:

AndyJS said:

So has Giles Fraser I think. If that's not an inducement...
  • Options
    Streeter said:

I suspect tax dodging law breaking multinational businesses have a similar level of public admiration as our politicians currently do.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Charles said:

notme2 said:

The nutters would continue to bang on (as they will just as unhappily if we leave) but they won't get a hearing from ordinary people after this shitshow.
    Millions of ordinary people want Brexit. They are not going to change their minds if it gets revoked.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

That’s a misunderstanding of what it means to be conservative.

“Reform that ye may preserve” is the watchword
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Sean_F said:

IanB2 said:

Charles said:

notme2 said:

Millions of ordinary people want Brexit. They are not going to change their minds if it gets revoked.
    TBH we are going to be pissed
  • Options

Streeter said:

I suspect tax dodging law breaking multinational businesses have a similar level of public admiration as our politicians currently do.
    It's odd that people who decry the Conservatives as mercenary bastards who know the price of everything and the value of nothing then decry them for not championing big corporations.
  • Options
    edited March 2019

Scott_P said:

Though isn't what the ERG wants to do - backbenchers overturning an 'elected' government - the same thing as what Baker is complaining about.
    Indeed. There is the stench of hypocrisy about his complaints.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:
    If Caroline Flint had been Labour leader in 2015 instead of a different Doncaster MP then Labour would have won.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,081
    Floater said:

Sean_F said:

IanB2 said:

Charles said:

notme2 said:

TBH we are going to be pissed
    Every friday night
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Charles said:

notme2 said:

Casual put down of those ordinary leavers.

Classy
  • Options
    Charles said:

IanB2 said:

Walking out is not reform.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

_Anazina_ said:

Scott_P said:

_Anazina_ said:

Here in spirit...

Genius.
    He had a way with women.
    LOL - didn't he just
  • Options
    Just a quick note to say congratulations, Mike, and thanks for facilitating this extraordinary resource for everyone who is (or in my case, was) interested in British politics. I was in the second wave of regular communicants, and I can't believe it was 15 years ago when Book Value, Tabman Steve and the others started to discover how to use this site, which was then the most sociable of all the social media - and may still be for all I know. I still remember the most valuable lesson that this site had to impart - never, ever, bet on something (such as an appointment to or dismissal from the Cabinet) that relies on the decision of one person - you will never have all the information to know why the decision will be made.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    Floater said:
    There have been a few recent polls showing support for Leave and No Deal improving, I suspect that the behaviour of Parliament over recent weeks is causing some sheep to return to the fold.
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,900
    dots said:

I have listened to you. I have slept on it. But nothing has changed.

I’m still convinced I’m right. There’s only two options available to Parliament, pass the WA or it’s Clean brexit. Clean brexit isn’t engineered by anybody from here. IT ALREADY HAS BEEN. It’s whether it can be stopped.

Firstly, yes, may be support in parliament for a form of vassalage that could win a majority of votes. But it could never be put to the people for their endorsement as it would fall apart as the vassalage it is in the first week of that ref campaign and soundly defeated by the people.
    Secondly times up, A50 was used to negotiate a deal based on red lines not of parliaments choosing but of the Conservative party and its supporters in this country at this time. The A50 time is now gone and it only produced one withdraw agreement.
    Thirdly, the indicative vote trash everyone getting distracted by is meaningless unless EU choose to run with the outcome. And the explicit signal from the EU is they are keen on the current WA and failing that, just like the PM, not apparently bothered by clean brexit.

You could make out EU, and May and her cabinet, are lot more keen to avoid Clean Brexit than they are letting on, but if you are convinced of that then you are dangerous.

So Clean Break is still on the table and more potent than ever if people carry on thinking it isn’t.

I see "Clean Break" is being used as a euphemism for no deal breaxit, which is laughable because the one thing it won't be is clean.

But my main point is, if the EU really is prepared for a no-deal exit, why on earth did they allow this extension? It makes no sense at all. There was sitll one week to go to allow MV3 and then it really would have been squeaky-bum time.

THroughout the last 3 years too many people have been claiming that they know what the EU wants to do, and most of it was absolut b*****s
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    Floater said:
    But only 24% support no deal. So there’s no mandate for a no deal . And the ERG telling everyone Leavers voted for no deal in 2016 is just another lie being peddled by them.

The ERG stance is making things worse and is driving Remainers who were willing to accept and move on into the either just revoke or another EU vote .
  • Options
    Video of the queues to get into Hyde Park suggest the PV March stands a good chance of beating the 50 marching with Farage. But DYOR
  • Options
    edited March 2019

AndyJS said:
    If Caroline Flint had been Labour leader in 2015 instead of a different Doncaster MP then Labour would have won.
    Possibly.

But with regard to her tweet, she was a Cabinet minister. Why did she do nothing on all these reforms that are needed? She had "real power and influence" for years.
  • Options
    nico67 said:

Floater said:
    But only 24% support no deal. So there’s no mandate for a no deal . And the ERG telling everyone Leavers voted for no deal in 2016 is just another lie being peddled by them.

The ERG stance is making things worse and is driving Remainers who were willing to accept and move on into the either just revoke or another EU vote .
    Indeed. Take out the DKs, and Revoke is already in the low 40s. Given that a fair chunk of those wanting a new deal and later exit will be supporting a soft Brexit, that's where the consensus is right now.
  • Options
    Chris_AChris_A Posts: 1,237
    Is there any way of finding your first post? I started sometime in late 2004 I think after reading about the the site probably in the Independent.
  • Options
    StreeterStreeter Posts: 684

Streeter said:

Other types of businesses are available. Mine for example, but I’m still getting fucked over by the risibly soi-disant party of free enterprise.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,006
    Charles said:

notme2 said:

And May’s deal with all negotiations to follow ends things?
  • Options
    Far too many old friends on PB to attempt to list them here, as one is sure to forget a good few, but also a time to remember those who have sadly passed on over the past 15 years.
    For me at least, PB.com's Halcyon years were between 2004 - 2010 when the site was good to its name in terms of the betting side of politics, featuring as it then did several brilliant tipsters, a feature which more recently has been all but lost.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,989
    nico67 said:

Floater said:

IT certainly is for me. Was prepared to accept Mays deal and move on, even though it is distinctly sub-optimal. However, it is apparent many Leavers don't want it, and, what is more, will do all in their power to thwart it. Given there is, therefore no majority, even amongst Leavers, for this somewhat minor stage of the process, what hope is there for any future relationship/trade agreement?
    Therefore, I may as well go back to opposing the Deal, on the grounds that Leaving is, and always was, a damn foolish idea.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

nico67 said:

Floater said:

Indeed. Take out the DKs, and Revoke is already in the low 40s. Given that a fair chunk of those wanting a new deal and later exit will be supporting a soft Brexit, that's where the consensus is right now.
    I’m deeply uncomfortable with revoke and am a staunch Remainer so perhaps I’m less staunch than I first thought !

I would support a second EU vote but at this point I couldn’t support just revoking Article 50 .
  • Options
    Floater said:
    Doesn't work like that. You can construct apparent majorities for all kinds of things if you offer a variety of options and then add them up vs a single alternative. Would you vote Labour under Corbyn? Under Blair? Under David Miliband? Under the ghost of Mother Theresa? Or would you vote Tory? Add the first four together and you get a totally spurious Labour majority.

Incidentally, I see David M has just firmly ruled out leaving Labour.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,610

AndyJS said:
    Possibly.

But with regard to her tweet, she was a Cabinet minister. Why did she do nothing on all these reforms that are needed? She had "real power and influence" for years.
    Didn't she say that she was treated like window dressing? It does sound about right that the awfully clever people would completely ignore any warnings from working class MPs.
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    AndyJS said:

More people have signed the petition in Edinburgh North & Leith than voted for the local MP at the last general election: 20,147 vs 19,243.

https://petitionmap.unboxedconsulting.com/?petition=241584

Some of these are me experimenting, at least 5 of them.
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    nico67 said:

IanB2 said:

nico67 said:

Floater said:

I’m deeply uncomfortable with revoke and am a staunch Remainer so perhaps I’m less staunch than I first thought !

I would support a second EU vote but at this point I couldn’t support just revoking Article 50 .
    Parliament needs to coalesce around whatever Brexit is both achievable and supportable. Then give people the choice between that specific proposition and staying where we are.
  • Options
    Floater said:
    Agreed.

Leave 50% abandon 35% don’t know 15%
  • Options
    Streeter said:

Streeter said:

Other types of businesses are available. Mine for example, but I’m still getting fucked over by the risibly soi-disant party of free enterprise.
    Well this government certainly likes to add more regulations.

But you'll struggle to find a government which doesn't.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Charles said:

IanB2 said:

It is for this country

We’ve tried to reform the EU but our partners want something different to us. Good luck to them and I hope it works out, but it’s not for us.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

nico67 said:

IanB2 said:

nico67 said:

Floater said:

Parliament needs to coalesce around whatever Brexit is both achievable and supportable. Then give people the choice between that specific proposition and staying where we are.
    Yes that seems sensible so probably won’t happen !
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,081
    Charles said:

IanB2 said:

Charles said:

IanB2 said:

It is for this country

We’ve tried to reform the EU but our partners want something different to us. Good luck to them and I hope it works out, but it’s not for us.
    Speak for yourself.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

If he voted with the "Government you voted for" we would have Brexit.
  • Options
    The question is where would the people who want to leave with a deal (either May's deal or another deal) go if forced to choose between Remain/Revoke and No Deal...
  • Options
    Floater said:
    Suddenly you're not a first-past-the-post'er?
  • Options
    eristdoof said:

THroughout the last 3 years too many people have been claiming that they know what the EU wants to do, and most of it was absolut b*****s

Including Tusk the other day, eh?
  • Options
    eek said:

Charles said:

notme2 said:

And May’s deal with all negotiations to follow ends things?
    It’s a step on the path.

9-12 months after we leave people will be talking about something else
  • Options
    AndyJS said:
    I'd vote Labour if Caroline was leader. :D
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,097
    Charles said:

IanB2 said:

Charles said:

IanB2 said:

It is for this country

We meaning the Conservative party?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,075

HYUFD said:

notme2 said:

HYUFD said:
    Customs Union is required for the backstop, once solution agreed for NI no backstop needed.

The Commons is likeliest to vote for permanent Customs Union above all though over No Deal, Deal, revoke, EUref2, even Norway Plus
    The Commons can vote for what they like - and I wish they would.- but that doesn't necessarily mean it is possible within the rules of the various organisations. A permanent Customs Union is, I believe, mutually exclusive with EFTA membership.
    Then we stay in the single market and Customs Union anyway and do not apply to join EFTA until a solution has finally been agreed on the Irish border
This discussion has been closed.