Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Not before 2022 now joint favourite with Q2 2019 for when Brex

Comments

• Options
    There is a real growing fear of the unknown evidenced on here and in the media and it seems we are heading for no deal, unless the HOC can unite around a douable position. Time for TM to call a meeting of all leaders for the leaders to come up with the answer. Lock them in a room with no phones, food, drink or loos until they agree

Anyway time to wish everyone a pleasant nights rest

Good night folks
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786

Jonathan said:

Mortimer said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Scott_P said:
    Its not a national humiliation its a humiliation of our political class.

And well deserved too.

Although it is revealing that out political class regard themselves as the nation, very Louis IV.
    Oh no this is a humiliation for us all.
    Really it isn't, we might think so because we're political nerds but life continues on as normal for almost everything else.

Not to mention few people are bothered about what happens in other countries.

England losing to Iceland at football would be a more widespread view of our ** 'national humiliation'.

** With apologies to non-English PBers.
    Our reputation is in tatters today. We used to be solid, reliable types.
    And we still are.

All of us not in Parliament.
    There is a national flaw in that we like to blame others. We all own part of this mess. We need to grow up. We got into this mess because we blamed the EU.
    Do you not think there is something fundamentally wrong with a free association causing this much pain and chaos to leave?
    They say your legs make your life better but see how much it hurts when you try to cut them off
    My legs didn't vote to join the rest of me in a common market
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    HYUFD said:

Floater said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

nielh said:

I think the probability must be increasing that we just leave without a deal.

Which likely leads to a general election within weeks given enough Tory diehard anti No Dealers like Boles will VONC the government rather than accept that and most likely a Corbyn Labour-SNP government shortly after and SM and CU BINO or EUref2
    No deal would destroy the Conservatives' electoral chances for 20-30 years, which is why I don't think Theresa May will allow it. She still holds the revocation card, as the last fallback and most nuclear option.
    It wouldn't as Leavers would rally behind Leader of the Opposition Boris while PM Corbyn gets on with negotiating permanent CU and SM elements BINO with the EU
    No they wont. A No Deal catastrophe, and that is what it will be, will mean most leavers will forget all about their vote to leave. They will be too busy panicking about paying their mortgage now they have lost their job.
    Sigh: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-47622415
    We are still in the EU, the SM and the CU not crashing out of all overnight without any trading deal with our biggest trading partner
    Who knows where we will be in 2 weeks time. If Brexit is going to have a material effect on the economy it should be absolutely evident by now. And yet the economy marches on, apparently unaffected.
    Of course it won't be as the markets expect an extension and maybe no Brexit at all, if we crash out with No Deal in a week we could see a FTSE crash of 1929 or 2008 proportions. We still have not yet Brexited for goodness sake
    Seriously, there are times where just for a moment I wish that we could have a no deal Brexit so we could all laugh at these predictions. But then I remember, unlike those in the House of Commons, I am a grown up.
    I've seen economic forecasts which talk about a 0.5% short term hit - in other words end of days it is not.
    The IMF says No Deal would cause an 8% hit to GDP

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/brexit-no-deal-news-imf-forecast-gdp-world-trade-organisation-economy-a8633681.html
    Sigh - that says long term - in terms of slower growth.

Plus they have trouble forecasting 2 years ahead let alone long term.

• Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,091
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Mortimer said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Scott_P said:

And well deserved too.

Although it is revealing that out political class regard themselves as the nation, very Louis IV.
    Really it isn't, we might think so because we're political nerds but life continues on as normal for almost everything else.

England losing to Iceland at football would be a more widespread view of our ** 'national humiliation'.

And we still are.

There is a national flaw in that we like to blame others. We all own part of this mess. We need to grow up. We got into this mess because we blamed the EU.
    Do you not think there is something fundamentally wrong with a free association causing this much pain and chaos to leave?
    The problem stems from the notion sold in the referendum that we could leave with next to no economic and political damage. It turns out we can’t have our cake and eat it.
    Actually we can.

May's Deal takes us out without the economic damage and if our politicians had accepted it we wouldn't have had the political damage.
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679

Scott_P said:

And well deserved too.

Louis the Fourth??

I think you mean Louis XIV...
    Or do you mean the x-rated version of Louis the Fourth?
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Mortimer said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Scott_P said:

And well deserved too.

And we still are.

The problem stems from the notion sold in the referendum that we could leave with next to no economic and political damage. It turns out we can’t have our cake and eat it.
    Humm true enough. I think the trouble we have getting out shows we are right to want out though ultimately
  • Options
    notme2notme2 Posts: 1,006
    HYUFD said:

Floater said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

nielh said:

Which likely leads to a general election within weeks given enough Tory diehard anti No Dealers like Boles will VONC the government rather than accept that and most likely a Corbyn Labour-SNP government shortly after and SM and CU BINO or EUref2
    No deal would destroy the Conservatives' electoral chances for 20-30 years, which is why I don't think Theresa May will allow it. She still holds the revocation card, as the last fallback and most nuclear option.
    It wouldn't as Leavers would rally behind Leader of the Opposition Boris while PM Corbyn gets on with negotiating permanent CU and SM elements BINO with the EU
    No they wont. A No Deal catastrophe, and that is what it will be, will mean most leavers will forget all about their vote to leave. They will be too busy panicking about paying their mortgage now they have lost their job.
    We are still in the EU, the SM and the CU not crashing out of all overnight without any trading deal with our biggest trading partner
    Who knows where we will be in 2 weeks time. If Brexit is going to have a material effect on the economy it should be absolutely .
    Of course it won't No Deal in a week we could see a FTSE crash of 1929 or 2008 proportions. We still have not yet Brexited for goodness sake
    Seriously, there are times where just for a moment I wish that we could have a no deal Brexit so we could all laugh at these predictions. But then I remember, unlike those in the House of Commons, I am a grown up.
    I've seen economic forecasts which talk about a 0.5% short term hit - in other words end of days it is not.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/brexit-no-deal-news-imf-forecast-gdp-world-trade-organisation-economy-a8633681.html
    Tut tut. Mildly misleading. It says not that we would have an 8% hit to our gdp, just that we will be a little bit less rich in the future than we would be in a non Brexit scenario. So if the model predicted our economy would be a 125% of what it is now in 15 years time staying in the EU it would only be 117% in 15 years instead.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,780
    edited March 2019

There is a real growing fear of the unknown evidenced on here and in the media and it seems we are heading for no deal, unless the HOC can unite around a douable position. Time for TM to call a meeting of all leaders for the leaders to come up with the answer. Lock them in a room with no phones, food, drink or loos until they agree

May: You must do as I say
    Corbyn: You must do as I say
    Blackford: You must do as I say
    Saville-Roberts: You must do as the SNP say
    Lucas: You must do as..wait, why am I even here?
    Dodds: Never, never...
    May: We've not discussed any options yet...
    Dodds: Don't interrupt me. Ahem. Never!
    May: *sigh*. Someone wake up Vince please.
    Umunna: I'll do it.
    All: Who the f*ck invited the Tiggers?
  • Options
    Harris_TweedHarris_Tweed Posts: 1,300

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Mortimer said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Scott_P said:

And well deserved too.

And we still are.

Humm true enough. I think the trouble we have getting out shows we are right to want out though ultimately
    Leaving is really easy (and I’m with BigG that there’s quite a bit of momentum in that direction still for next Friday). Leaving with any *cake*, however, less so..
  • Options
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,794

nielh said:

Is what I've been betting on for ages.
    Me also, as I have said before. Problem is, it's an emergency parachute: it's not the kind of bet you want to win... :(
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Mortimer said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Scott_P said:

And well deserved too.

And we still are.

They say your legs make your life better but see how much it hurts when you try to cut them off
    My legs didn't vote to join the rest of me in a common market
    My legs have always said they'd be able to run much further and faster if it didn't have to lug the rest of my plump self around with it. My torso has really been holding them back.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

May: You must do as I say
    Corbyn: You must do as I say
    Blackford: You must do as I say
    Saville-Roberts: You must do as the SNP say
    Lucas: You must do as..wait, why am I even here?
    Dodds: Never, never...
    May: We've not discussed any options yet...
    Dodds: Don't interrupt me. Ahem. Never!
    May: *sigh*. Someone wake up Vince please.
    Umunna: I'll do it.
    All: Who the f*ck invited the Tiggers?
    Just switching off my tablet and noticed your reply and it made me chuckle.

Good way to drift off for the night. Good night
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

nielh said:

A VONC now would be too little, too late. If there's no deal we're out automatically by Friday of next week and a VONC won't change that. If there's no deal then the government will need to be running in crisis mode to deal with the aftershocks of that occuring and it'd be irresponsible in the extreme to go into purdah during that.
    If it leads to PM Corbyn of course it will as he will renegotiate propped up by the SNP on the basis of permanent Customs Union and SM elements ie an even less Brexity Deal than May's Deal. Given No Deal will be an utter disaster anyway economically whatever the government does a general election will make little difference and at least offers the opportunity of a new government, we know the likes of Boles and Soubry have said they will VONC the government rather than accept No Deal and I expect them to do so
    How will it lead to a PM Corbyn renegotiating? If there's an election called after 14 days we'd already have left still.
    So what, we can Leave with No Deal and Corbyn can still renegotiate a Deal with the EU on permanent Customs Union and Single Market terms
    So what you're saying is that leaving with no deal isn't that big of a deal and we can then negotiate a new deal once outside?

• Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850
    HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

nielh said:

Who knows where we will be in 2 weeks time. If Brexit is going to have a material effect on the economy it should be absolutely evident by now. And yet the economy marches on, apparently unaffected.
    Of course it won't be as the markets expect an extension and maybe no Brexit at all, if we crash out with No Deal in a week we could see a FTSE crash of 1929 or 2008 proportions. We still have not yet Brexited for goodness sake
    The effect has shown up in poor investment figures, and slightly weaker GDP growth, which has averaged 1.7% p.a. since mid 2016, whereas it would have been 2% or so, otherwise.
  • Options
    notme2 said:

HYUFD said:

Floater said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

nielh said:

Noost their job.
    Who knows where we will be in 2 weeks time. If Brexit is going to have a material effect on the economy it should be absolutely .
    Of course it won't No Deal in a week we could see a FTSE crash of 1929 or 2008 proportions. We still have not yet Brexited for goodness sake

Tut tut. Mildly misleading. It says not that we would have an 8% hit to our gdp, just that we will be a little bit less rich in the future than we would be in a non Brexit scenario. So if the model predicted our economy would be a 125% of what it is now in 15 years time staying in the EU it would only be 117% in 15 years instead.
    Not mildly misleading - scaremongering or dishonesty - you can choose.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,011
    Floater said:

HYUFD said:

Floater said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

nielh said:

No deal would destroy n.
    It wouldn't as Leavers would rally behinM elements BINO with the EU
    Seriously, there arrown up.

Still a net loss of potential output of 8%
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

nielh said:

The effect has shown up in poor investment figures, and slightly weaker GDP growth, which has averaged 1.7% p.a. since mid 2016, whereas it would have been 2% or so, otherwise.
    Remind me of the latest employment figures....
  • Options

Scott_P said:

And well deserved too.

Louis the Fourth??

I think you mean Louis XIV...
    There should be a rule that monarch names can only go up to X.
  • Options
    Former Vice President Joe Biden reached out to at least a half-dozen supporters Tuesday to tell them he intends to run for president and to ask for their help in lining up contributions from major donors so he can quickly raise several million dollars, a person familiar with the matter said.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/joe-biden-tells-supporters-he-plans-2020-bid-11553033380
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

nielh said:

As a full member of the European Union.
    As someone committed to leaving in 10 days. The current chaos is worse than any possible outcome which is why even a no deal is better than a lengthy extension (as is revocation) and yet unemployment falls to the lowest since 1971, employment is both the highest ever in absolute terms and getting close to our peace time record as a share of the adult population. The hysteria about Brexit continues to be massively overblown and counterproductive. But the deal is still the best way out from here.
    And the deficit is now quite low too. The government has spent years fixing the roof while the sun wasn't even shining that brightly - if ever there were to be a time to risk a no deal exit this would be it.
  • Options
    Floater said:

notme2 said:

HYUFD said:

Floater said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

nielh said:

Noost their job.
    Seriously, there are twn up.

Glad to see you so blasé about an 8% cut to potential future gdp, those whose jobs will no longer be there and whose wages will no longer be as high may take a different view
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Floater said:

HYUFD said:

Floater said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

nielh said:

No deal would destroy n.

Will you admit you posted a misleading comparison.

• Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

nielh said:

A VONC now would be too little, too late. If there's no deal we're out automatically by Friday of next week and a VONC won't change that. If there's no deal then the government will need to be running in crisis mode to deal with the aftershocks of that occuring and it'd be irresponsible in the extreme to go into purdah during that.
    If it leads to PM Corbyn of course it will as he will renegotiate propped up by the SNP on the basis of permanent Customs Union and SM elements ie an even less Brexity Deal than May's Deal. Given No Deal will be an utter disaster anyway economically whatever the government does a general election will make little difference and at least offers the opportunity of a new government, we know the likes of Boles and Soubry have said they will VONC the government rather than accept No Deal and I expect them to do so
    How will it lead to a PM Corbyn renegotiating? If there's an election called after 14 days we'd already have left still.
    So what, we can Leave with No Deal and Corbyn can still renegotiate a Deal with the EU on permanent Customs Union and Single Market terms
    So what you're saying is that leaving with no deal isn't that big of a deal and we can then negotiate a new deal once outside?

A BINO deal yes, we will not get any more Brexity Deal than May's Deal
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    AndyJS said:

"A devout Catholic and mother of five has been asked to attend a police interview after being accused of using the wrong pronoun to describe a transgender girl.

Caroline Farrow, was contacted by officers from the Surrey force to inform her they were investigating an allegation that she had made transphobic comments on Twitter."

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/03/19/devout-catholic-interviewed-police-trans-twitter-row/?li_source=LI&li_medium=li-recommendation-widget

Excellent news. Clearly there's still plenty of spare capacity in the police, despite claims that budgets have been cut too much.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,822
    Floater said:
    So far I've not stockpiled one single item.
  • Options
    Floater said:

Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

nielh said:

They are very healthy, but only one of the numbers.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

nielh said:

I think the economy would have struggled to grow at 2.0% in any case.

The only strong GDP growth in the last decade was boosted by the oil price crash of 2014.
  • Options
    Floater said:

HYUFD said:

Floater said:

HYUFD said:

Floater said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

nielh said:

No deal would destroy n.

Nothing to admit, a fall of 8% in our future gdp is forecast, you obviously could not care less
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Floater said:

notme2 said:

HYUFD said:

Floater said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

nielh said:

Noost their job.
    Seriously, there are twn up.

Glad to see you so blasé about an 8% cut to potential future gdp, those whose jobs will no longer be there and whose wages will no longer be as high may take a different view
    You clearly have no idea or you were deliberately being misleading
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Floater said:

HYUFD said:

Floater said:

HYUFD said:

Floater said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

nielh said:

No deal would destroy n.

Nothing to admit, a fall of 8% in our future gdp is forecast, you obviously could not care less
    I care that you are posting distortions of the facts - but hey knock yourself out.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Floater said:
    Nor me
  • Options

AndyJS said:

"A devout Catholic and mother of five has been asked to attend a police interview after being accused of using the wrong pronoun to describe a transgender girl.

Caroline Farrow, was contacted by officers from the Surrey force to inform her they were investigating an allegation that she had made transphobic comments on Twitter."

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/03/19/devout-catholic-interviewed-police-trans-twitter-row/?li_source=LI&li_medium=li-recommendation-widget

Excellent news. Clearly there's still plenty of spare capacity in the police, despite claims that budgets have been cut too much.
    There has been a spate of the police interviewing people who have made comments on line that are not a crime ..... whilst at the same time telling us they can't investigate err crime
  • Options
    You now have nine days to reach minimum safe distance...
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Floater said:

Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

nielh said:

They are very healthy, but only one of the numbers.
    The Spring Statement had the unusual combination of a reduction of forecast GDP growth and a reduction in forecast government borrowing.
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Saw Tone's Newsnight interview... Thought he seemed very shifty when challenged about what he's been saying to the French.

There's a story waiting to come out methinks... ;)
  • Options
    Floater said:

HYUFD said:

Floater said:

HYUFD said:

Floater said:

HYUFD said:

Floater said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

nielh said:

No deal would destroy n.
    No they wont. A No Deal catasheir job.

Sigh - that says long teorecasting 2 years ahead let alone long term.

I care that you are posting distortions of the facts - but hey knock yourself out.
    There was no distortion of the facts, the IMF forecast a fall of 8% in our future GDP, end of conversation. You may not be bothered about that as hard Brexit ideology trumps all, that is up to you, it does not change that forecast
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Saw Tone's Newsnight interview... Thought he seemed very shifty when challenged about what he's been saying to the French.

There's a story waiting to some out methinks... ;)

I don't know what he could have said that would surprise. The French can see the national debate we are having and are more than capable of coming up with solid conclusions based on that regardless of what Blair says, and in wargaming various scenarios based on us changing our minds or whatever.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

nielh said:

The only strong GDP growth in the last decade was boosted by the oil price crash of 2014.
    Since 2000, the economy has grown by 1.9% p.a., so it's not that different. But, there was a slight boost to growth in the EU in 2017, which we missed out on.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,339

Incidentally I'd like to once more thank David Cameron's constitutional vandalism for leaving us where we are now.

If ever there was a vote to make a confidence vote it was this. Voting against the meaningful vote truly should have been a confidence matter with all it entailed. If it wasn't for the FTPA this would likely be over already.

I wonder if she'd have dared call one. The Maastricht rebellion was like 20 guys, the WA one was getting on for half her party...
    In retrospect, the Brexiteers must be kicking themselves that they triggered the VONC early. If they could do it now, it'd be a lot easier.
  • Options
    Floater said:

GIN1138 said:

Floater said:
    Nor me
    I am currently going thru a bit of a clear out, which includes throwing out old tins that are past their sell-by date. So I am the anti-stockpiler... :)
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Floater said:

GIN1138 said:

Floater said:
    Nor me
    I am currently going thru a bit of a clear out, which includes throwing out old tins that are past their sell-by date. So I am the anti-stockpiler... :)
    Put them on ebay. You could became a No Deal trader.

Everyone's a winner Rodders. :D
  • Options

Incidentally I'd like to once more thank David Cameron's constitutional vandalism for leaving us where we are now.

If ever there was a vote to make a confidence vote it was this. Voting against the meaningful vote truly should have been a confidence matter with all it entailed. If it wasn't for the FTPA this would likely be over already.

I wonder if she'd have dared call one. The Maastricht rebellion was like 20 guys, the WA one was getting on for half her party...
    In retrospect, the Brexiteers must be kicking themselves that they triggered the VONC early. If they could do it now, it'd be a lot easier.
    It was either far too late, or far too early.
  • Options
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,681
    HYUFD said:

Floater said:

HYUFD said:

Floater said:

HYUFD said:

Floater said:

HYUFD said:

Floater said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

nielh said:

Which likely leads to a general election within or EUref2
    No deal would destroy n.
    No they wont. A No Deal catasheir job.

Sigh - that says long teorecasting 2 years ahead let alone long term.

There was no distortion of the facts, the IMF forecast a fall of 8% in our future GDP, end of conversation. You may not be bothered about that as hard Brexit ideology trumps all, that is up to you, it does not change that forecast
    The point being that you compared a long term potential impact - the IMF forecast, spread over many years, with a 1 Year actual impact - so very much apples and oranges.
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited March 2019
    The site is once again moving tonight to one of its two default modes ; interesting arena of contest and debate, and sometimes warm cross-political community, and on the other hand comforting right-of-centre echo chamber. I'll leave it to the discretion of others to decide which one we're currently in.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    Floater said:

GIN1138 said:

Floater said:
    Nor me
    We'll just eat Remainers.

They'll be too squeamish.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

nielh said:

Since 2000, the economy has grown by 1.9% p.a., so it's not that different. But, there was a slight boost to growth in the EU in 2017, which we missed out on.
    Though 2017 was a good year for the rebalancing of the UK economy.

Given how imbalanced the UK economy is there's a trade-off between rebalancing and GDP growth.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820

The site is once again moving tonight to one of its two default modes ; interesting arena of contest and debate, and sometimes warm cross-political community, and on the other hand comforting right-of-centre echo chamber. I'll leave it to the discretion of others to decide which one we're currently in.

Right of centre echo chamber? It seems to be those on the right who are squabbling most stridently.
  • Options
    SeanTSeanT Posts: 549
    Floater said:

GIN1138 said:

Floater said:
    Nor me
    I'm stockpiling porn for End of Porn Day.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/law-watching-porn-websites-uk-15575821
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929

AndyJS said:

The madness of woke
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,001
    DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

nielh said:

You know, someone did a video on the consequences of No Deal Brexit...

In summary: it would not be the end of the world. Food would not become scarce.

But it would be a nasty shock to the system. Not 2008 bad, but quite possibly 1990 bad.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited March 2019
    SeanT said:

Floater said:

GIN1138 said:

Floater said:
    Nor me

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/law-watching-porn-websites-uk-15575821
    Whatever happened to the new improved suitable for work (with all internet history scrubbed) seanT?
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    SeanT said:

Floater said:

GIN1138 said:

Floater said:
    Nor me

You'll be alight, as a world famous international thriller writer you spend most of your life jetting around the world... Theresa's Porn Laws won't apply to you very often. :D
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,681
    viewcode said:

Floater said:

GIN1138 said:

Floater said:
    Nor me
    Most tins have a “Best Before” date - which means you can safely use them after that date, rather than a “Use by” date (usually fresh food) which you shouldn’t.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

SeanT said:

Floater said:

GIN1138 said:

Floater said:
    Nor me

You'll be alight, as the a world famous international thriller writer you spend most of your life jetting around the world... Theresa's Porn Laws won't apply to you very often. :D
    Or just use a VPN....
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Floater said:

GIN1138 said:

Floater said:
    Nor me

I believe I'm right in saying porn has led to many innovations in online tech like streaming video and payment services, so I'm sure it will adapt to this new law. Or people will just use VPNs
  • Options

Right of centre echo chamber? It seems to be those on the right who are squabbling most stridently.
    Not much comfort happening right now!
  • Options

That's also another example of a rule that stops you repeatedly voting on the same thing. They seem to be all over the place. Our parish council has one.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Mortimer said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Scott_P said:

And well deserved too.

And we still are.

But so far we are leaving with next to no economic damage at least. We are now less than 10 days from Brexit supposedly and what damage has occured?
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    SeanT said:

Floater said:

GIN1138 said:

Floater said:
    Nor me

It is not 'End of Porn Day' it is 'proof of age ID required to watch porn day'. May is not turning us into Saudi Arabia
  • Options

That's also another example of a rule that stops you repeatedly voting on the same thing. They seem to be all over the place. Our parish council has one.
    Sensible rule, generally. Of course, there are usually provisions to allow bodies to overrule that either by enough people asking for it or suspending the rule that says they cannot. Only a question of whether that is sensible or justified, because it very much can be.
  • Options
    notme2notme2 Posts: 1,006
    kle4 said:

Not much comfort happening right now!
    The Cornynites and the ERG are why we can’t have nice things.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

Floater said:

GIN1138 said:

Floater said:
    Nor me

It is not 'End of Porn Day' it is 'proof of age ID required to watch porn day'. May is not turning is into Saudi Arabia
    Yet...
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

nielh said:

A BINO deal once we've already Brexited seems extremely unlikely to me.

Best chance of BINO is before we Brexit. Once we've Brexited all attention will switch to how Brexit goes. If its armageddon and the living envy the dead we'll be begging to get back in. If we look around and think "what was all the fuss about" we'll move on.

Realistically it will be somewhere inbetween but the one thing I'm confident in is that it won't be as bad as predicted. Nor as good as hoped for.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Mortimer said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Scott_P said:

And well deserved too.

And we still are.

But so far we are leaving with next to no economic damage at least. We are now less than 10 days from Brexit supposedly and what damage has occured?
    We are still in the EU, the Single Market and the Customs Union, we have not even Brexited yet, let alone with No Deal
  • Options
    Grim social media moderation, robots taking all the jobs and now some terminal cancer doc. Cheery set of documentaries I've picked this evening.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Mortimer said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Scott_P said:

And well deserved too.

And we still are.

We are still in the EU, the Single Market and the Customs Union, we have not even Brexited yet, let alone with No Deal
    WE ARE LESS THAN 10 DAYS AWAY!

It should have impacted us by now. I swear even if there's a no deal brexit in less than 10 days time, by the end of April you'll find more ordinary people talking about the new season of Game of Thrones than you will Brexit.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

Floater said:

GIN1138 said:

Floater said:
    Nor me

It is not 'End of Porn Day' it is 'proof of age ID required to watch porn day'. May is not turning is into Saudi Arabia
    Yet...
    True, I expect she could think of a few people she would like to subject to public beheadings, including some on her own backbenches
  • Options
    kle4 said:

SeanT said:

Floater said:

GIN1138 said:

Floater said:
    Nor me

I believe I'm right in saying porn has led to many innovations in online tech like streaming video and payment services, so I'm sure it will adapt to this new law. Or people will just use VPNs
    Pornhub could probably do a better job of running the country than the current wonders in parliament
  • Options
    edited March 2019

Realistically it will be somewhere inbetween but the one thing I'm confident in is that it won't be as bad as predicted.

In life nothing ever is... Well except for a Theresa May speech... :D
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

nielh said:

A BINO deal once we've already Brexited seems extremely unlikely to me.

Best chance of BINO is before we Brexit. Once we've Brexited all attention will switch to how Brexit goes. If its armageddon and the living envy the dead we'll be begging to get back in. If we look around and think "what was all the fuss about" we'll move on.

Realistically it will be somewhere inbetween but the one thing I'm confident in is that it won't be as bad as predicted. Nor as good as hoped for.
    If it goes badly the EU will demand Schengen, the Euro, the works to rejoin, BINO will be the only alternative to that
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

Floater said:

GIN1138 said:

Floater said:
    Nor me

It is not 'End of Porn Day' it is 'proof of age ID required to watch porn day'. May is not turning us into Saudi Arabia
    It's what Auberon Waugh predicted. A National Register of Suspected Madturbators.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Mortimer said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Scott_P said:

And well deserved too.

And we still are.

It should have impacted us by now. I swear even if there's a no deal brexit in less than 10 days time, by the end of April you'll find more ordinary people talking about the new season of Game of Thrones than you will Brexit.
    Just because you were 10 days away from Lehmans crashing did not mean the impact had yet been felt
  • Options
    kle4 said:

SeanT said:

Floater said:

GIN1138 said:

Floater said:
    Nor me

To be honest these days surfing the web without a VPN is a bit like sleeping around without using a condom...at best there are going to be a load of people who know your dirty habits, at worst you are going to pick up something nasty.
  • Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223
    Pulpstar said:

kle4 said:

SeanT said:

Floater said:

GIN1138 said:

Floater said:
    Nor me

Pornhub could probably do a better job of running the country than the current wonders in parliament
    Brexit has already created plenty of work for lawyers. Perhaps pornographers and ‘models’ are next?

Jacob Rees-Mogg’s Rock Hard Brexit etc
  • Options
    What has parliament focussed most effort on ? Brexit - And it goes awfully.
    What has parliament not had time to do ? The economy in general except a couple of minimal changing pieces biannually by Phil ... And it goes well.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

Floater said:

GIN1138 said:

Floater said:
    Nor me

It's what Auberon Waugh predicted. A National Register of Suspected Madturbators.
    In which case the question would be more who is not on it than who is on it
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Realistically it will be somewhere inbetween but the one thing I'm confident in is that it won't be as bad as predicted.

In life nothing ever is... Well except for a Theresa May speech... :D
    And a new Radiohead album...
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,002
    Re: Falklands/France nonsense on the previous thread. I'm pretty sure we've discussed this before but anyway...

1. France halted Peru's AM39 (aka 'Exocet') deliveries in case they got donated to Argentina.
    2. The DGSE in conjunction with MI6 were running around the world buying AM39s and components for the same reasons as 1.
    3. Before the task force left the AdA provided 801NAS (one of the Sea Harrier squadrons) with dissimilar air combat training vs the Mirage/Magic combination to prepare them for crossing swords with Argentina. This helped a great deal.

I am not sure what more could have been expected from an ally other than them actually contributing forces to the task force. They were certainly more supportive of the UK than UK was in France's post imperial military adventures.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Mortimer said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Scott_P said:

And well deserved too.

And we still are.

Just because you were 10 days away from Lehmans crashing did not mean the impact had yet been felt
    Lehman's was a shock. Brexit is not. We know Brexit is coming, it's been coming for two years.

If someone had pre-announced that Lehman's was collapsing in two years time then when it did it would have affected the banking system a lot less as companies would have done what they needed to in order to get away from being affected by it.
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Floater said:

DavidL said:

I would be very surprised if it's that modest.

Let's just quickly run down the immediate impacts:

1. Firms who have their European parent companies in the UK would want to relocate them to places protected by laws against double taxation and withholding taxes*. This would probably have a negative impact on net investment numbers of 0.5-0.75% in year one, and perhaps 0.25% in year two.

2. Our exports to the EU would now be subject to tariffs, similarly our exports to countries where the UK has not rolled over existing EU deals. This would have a small effect in some areas, and a bigger effect in others. (Where things cross the border repeatedly, like automotive components, there would be a significant impact.)

3. UK citizens in most EU countries would lost the right to live there. Now, this would probably be sorted out reasonably quickly. But it would still cause disruption to both us, and to EU countries.

4. There would not be competent regulatory authorities in some areas, and this would cause disruption to exports. (And to a lesser extent imports.)

5. Goods being sent to the EU, even where the tariffs had little impact, would now be subject to checks and require paperwork to be filled. In the short term in particular, before smaller firms know what they are doing, that would likely have a negative impact on demand for British products in the short term.

6. The pound would almost certainly fall. While that might boost exports somewhat, it also means higher costs of electricity, and fuel. This will squeeze consumer spending.

7. Transport and travel would be disrupted. We would fall out of the EEA passport system, which means that UK citizens travelling abroad would likely need to fill out landing cards.

None of these things are - in themselves - massive. But cumulatively, they would be a hassle. More than 70% of British exports go to countries either in the EU, or where the EU has agreements. We've rolled over a few of the deals (albeit rarely as deeply as existing arrangements), and we need to do more.

* This could have, and should have, been sorted out earlier. But it was not.
  • Options

kle4 said:

SeanT said:

Floater said:

GIN1138 said:

Floater said:
    Nor me

To be honest these days surfing the web without a VPN is a bit like sleeping around without using a condom...at best there are going to be a load of people who know your dirty habits, at worst you are going to pick up something nasty.
    The security services can increasingly crack VPNs anyway
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

kle4 said:

SeanT said:

Floater said:

GIN1138 said:

Floater said:
    Nor me

The story of mindgeek, the company who owns all the online filth sites is really fascinating.
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

SeanT said:

Floater said:

GIN1138 said:

Floater said:
    Nor me

The security services can increasingly crack VPNs anyway
    Yes and no. That isn't the primary reason to use one anyway.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Mortimer said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Scott_P said:

And well deserved too.

And we still are.

We are still in the EU, theal
    WE ARE LESS THAN 10 DAYS Axit.
    Lehman's was a shock. Brexit is not. We know Brexit is coming, it's been coming for two years.

If someone had pre-announced that Lehman's was collapsing in two years time then when it did it would have affected the banking system a lot less as companies would have done what they needed to in order to get away from being affected by it.
    Most people and the markets still do not expect crash out No Deal Brexit nor are they fully prepared for it if it comes
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Mortimer said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Scott_P said:

And well deserved too.

And we still are.

I don't know anyone in business who expects us to leave with no deal in ten days time. Everyone is extremely sanguine about either a deal or an extension.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Mortimer said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Scott_P said:

And well deserved too.

And we still are.

The strange logic strikes again.
  • Options
    Right unless there's a legal change we're now officially 9 days from leaving the EU deal or no deal...
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Right unless there's a legal change we're now officially 9 days from leaving the EU deal or no deal...

Good job I have a Costco trip planned for Friday!
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Mortimer said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Scott_P said:

And well deserved too.

And we still are.

Well I guess we can rule out damage so bad that the shockwaves travel back in time, so that's something
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Mortimer said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Scott_P said:

And well deserved too.

And we still are.

Well yes, that's what you would have thought. But here we are 10 days from Brexit and we still haven't done what we needed to do....
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900

Also in retrospect, the timing of that challenge looks rather convenient to May & co.

Always was that rumour she'd arranged some friendly fire to get over the 48-letter barrier :-)
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,150
    I hope this isn't really what they're thinking:

> A short extension, with a definitive end, is seen as risky in Whitehall because it could lead to a no-deal exit.
    > But it could potentially help the prime minister pass her deal by presenting a final challenge to her party: support her deal or guarantee a no-deal exit.

The Tories whose votes she need *want* a no-deal exit...
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

kle4 said:

SeanT said:

Floater said:

GIN1138 said:

Floater said:
    Nor me

The story of mindgeek, the company who owns all the online filth sites is really fascinating.
    Just had a look. I did not know things were so monopolistic.
  • Options
    kjohnwkjohnw Posts: 1,456
    GIN1138 said:

looks like we are heading to no deal. TM will not commit political suicide by revoking Brexit. she wont request long extension because her own party would split. She wont go second referendum or JC Brexit. the only option she has is to renegotiate her own deal which EU will not do. time is running out now, chances are we are leaving for a world trade deal. It will be short term disruption. but nothing like the doomsayers have predicted. Long term we will gain advantages over the EU , and see some real Brexit dividends. I don't think it will destroy the Tories. with a new leader they could become very popular.
This discussion has been closed.