Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Key fact: Biden leads the Dem 2020 polling despite not yet run

Comments

• Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Charles said:

Nigelb said:

I think you are about right, David.
    The four betting favourites more or less equal odds don’t make much sense to me, either - are there any you would be laying at this point ?

I wonder about Vanity Fair, “Man, I’m just born to be in it” O’Rourke.

Has he blown it by going for president instead of another Senate shot ? He’s going to have a lot of Democrats trying to demolish his myth, rather than the entire party behind him for the next year.

I think the assumption a lot of the candidates are making is that Trump will be easy to beat

Hence there will be a Democrat incumbent in 2024 and therefore it’s 2020 or 2028

And 9 years is a long time to wait for some of these candidates
    Well it would be for Biden and Sanders....

O’Rourke doesn’t have that kind of now or never urgency - and if he doesn’t win the nomination, has probably decreased the Democrats’ chances in Texas.
    Had he been decisive like Harris, he wouldn’t face the kind of criticism coming his way. As it is, the hint of entitlement isn’t going to do him any favours.

I’ve been a layer of Beto O’Rourke since he announced he was tired. Kamala Harris is a fine candidate but ridiculously short at present. Sooner or later someone is going to ask searching questions about the practicalities of having a very old president.

There’s a good case for laying all four of the current frontrunners at present prices. There’s quite enough time for other contenders to have their moment to shine.
    A case for laying any of them, but not all at once, I think ?

What are the odds, do you think, that the eventual candidate will come from outside that quartet? I’d say it’s better than 2/1. It might be better than evens.
    It’s a view, but I think it odds on that it will be one of the four.

How heavily odds on?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,788

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Charles said:

Nigelb said:

The four betting favourites more or less equal odds don’t make much sense to me, either - are there any you would be laying at this point ?

Has he blown it by going for president instead of another Senate shot ? He’s going to have a lot of Democrats trying to demolish his myth, rather than the entire party behind him for the next year.

I think the assumption a lot of the candidates are making is that Trump will be easy to beat

Hence there will be a Democrat incumbent in 2024 and therefore it’s 2020 or 2028

O’Rourke doesn’t have that kind of now or never urgency - and if he doesn’t win the nomination, has probably decreased the Democrats’ chances in Texas.
    Had he been decisive like Harris, he wouldn’t face the kind of criticism coming his way. As it is, the hint of entitlement isn’t going to do him any favours.

I’ve been a layer of Beto O’Rourke since he announced he was tired. Kamala Harris is a fine candidate but ridiculously short at present. Sooner or later someone is going to ask searching questions about the practicalities of having a very old president.

There’s a good case for laying all four of the current frontrunners at present prices. There’s quite enough time for other contenders to have their moment to shine.

What are the odds, do you think, that the eventual candidate will come from outside that quartet? I’d say it’s better than 2/1. It might be better than evens.

How heavily odds on?
    If I had any spare cash, I’d let you know...
    :smile:

• Options
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Charles said:

Nigelb said:

How heavily odds on?
    If I had any spare cash, I’d let you know...
    :smile:

Fair enough! My point is that there are a lot of entrants in this contest, many of them credible, and there’s a long way to go yet. Moods will shift in that time.
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092
    stodge said:

Afternoon all :)

I'll add my condolences to those already expressed to Big G and his family.

I do however respectfully disagree with this comment this morning - the monster who committed the Christchurch atrocity isn't deserving of the epithet "Right" and nor are those with whom he apparently associated in Europe and elsewhere.

For me, "Right" and "Left", outmoded as they are, do at least represent terms for those who engage with and believe in the democratic process. There are plenty of people on here with whom and on many issues I disagree passionately but we do so within the confines of the democratic process. As such, I wholeheartedly respect the rights of these individuals to hold views with which I disagree and hopefully they respect my right to disagree with them.

Passionate argument is and always has been the lifeblood of democracy - the totality of views expressed here and on similar forums support and enrich the democratic process.

That does not under any circumstances condone violence and murder. This terrorist took innocent lives and there can be no political justification for it. This individual is a criminal beyond politics and argument and needs only to be considered within the area of his punishment within the law.

All those who argue within politics should be united in opposing those who prefer to air their arguments through the media of violence and terror. That includes opposing the words of hate which provoke the actions of violence whether those are directed against countries, colours or creeds.

Violence is often the logical conclusion of a political viewpoint. In fact, all politics is underpinned by violence- a government's authority is only enforced at the end of a gun- but even if you limit yourself to evil, atrocious violence like this attack, there's still no clean separation between the people politely advocating violence through acceptible channels and the people actually committing it. Political ideologies can cause evil and be evil, and still be identifiable as right or left wing (or, indeed, centrist).
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Charles said:

Nigelb said:

How heavily odds on?
    If you're interested in a private bet I'd certainly do some at evens?
  • Options
    Quincel said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Charles said:

Nigelb said:

How heavily odds on?
    Thanks for the offer but I’m happy manoeuvring on Betfair.
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949

Quincel said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Charles said:

Nigelb said:

How heavily odds on?
    Thanks for the offer but I’m happy manoeuvring on Betfair.
    No problem, good luck to both of us on Betfair.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,927

stodge said:

On to other matters and the forthcoming LD leadership election (hopefully) in which, as a Party member, I have a vote.

My first and fervent hope is we have a contested election. I hope Layla Moran and Ed Davey decide to stand alongside Jo Swinson. I confess I don't have a strong preference this stage - I see the "appeal" for the LDs to join the Conservatives in having chosen a female leader not that should be a criterion for choosing a leader.

I so think the Party needs to start thinking beyond Brexit and needs to consider its relationship with TIG. I confess I'm struggling to see where TIG stands on a number of issues but I do worry that while I've no objection to another fisherman on the riverbank I would be worried if we were trying to catch the same fish.

These and other areas will be what I'm looking forward to hearing at the Hustings when all the candidates pitch directly to the electorate.

It's OK to try to catch the same fish provided they are in different pools (constituencies. It would make no sense for TIG and LDs to fight each other in any but a handful of constituencies.
    Where are the constituencies where the splitters would do well in but the LibDems don't ?
    South Cambridgeshire has a Lib Dem council, but the Lib Dems are a long way behind at Parliamentary level. Totnes used to be a target, but they've collapsed. They don't feature in any of the other seats, so they should give the 11 a clear run.
  • Options
    kfowkeskfowkes Posts: 20

stodge said:

On to other matters and the forthcoming LD leadership election (hopefully) in which, as a Party member, I have a vote.

My first and fervent hope is we have a contested election. I hope Layla Moran and Ed Davey decide to stand alongside Jo Swinson. I confess I don't have a strong preference this stage - I see the "appeal" for the LDs to join the Conservatives in having chosen a female leader not that should be a criterion for choosing a leader.

I so think the Party needs to start thinking beyond Brexit and needs to consider its relationship with TIG. I confess I'm struggling to see where TIG stands on a number of issues but I do worry that while I've no objection to another fisherman on the riverbank I would be worried if we were trying to catch the same fish.

These and other areas will be what I'm looking forward to hearing at the Hustings when all the candidates pitch directly to the electorate.

It's OK to try to catch the same fish provided they are in different pools (constituencies. It would make no sense for TIG and LDs to fight each other in any but a handful of constituencies.
    Where are the constituencies where the splitters would do well in but the LibDems don't ?
    Maybe a few in London like Hampstead and Kilburn.

Lib Dems could benefit from a loose alliance e.g. backing Heidi Allen and Sarah Wollaston but are at least narrow favourites to regain e.g. Sheffield Hallam and Richmond Park on their own anyway.

Cheadle's a bit more hard to say. Lib Dems have the organisation there and greater capacity to squeeze the ~20% Labour vote but TIG might have the upper hand against the rich Tory remainer vote in Bramhall.

Overall though I think TIG is largely to sink without trace and despite the mess the LDs are in they are still far more likely to get 20% seats on their own than the TIG are to go anywhere (let alone without an alliance)
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,242
    felix said:

stodge said:

I do however respectfully disagree with this comment this morning - the monster who committed the Christchurch atrocity isn't deserving of the epithet "Right" and nor are those with whom he apparently associated in Europe and elsewhere.

For me, "Right" and "Left", outmoded as they are, do at least represent terms for those who engage with and believe in the democratic process. There are plenty of people on here with whom and on many issues I disagree passionately but we do so within the confines of the democratic process. As such, I wholeheartedly respect the rights of these individuals to hold views with which I disagree and hopefully they respect my right to disagree with them.

Passionate argument is and always has been the lifeblood of democracy - the totality of views expressed here and on similar forums support and enrich the democratic process.

That does not under any circumstances condone violence and murder. This terrorist took innocent lives and there can be no political justification for it. This individual is a criminal beyond politics and argument and needs only to be considered within the area of his punishment within the law.

All those who argue within politics should be united in opposing those who prefer to air their arguments through the media of violence and terror. That includes opposing the words of hate which provoke the actions of violence whether those are directed against countries, colours or creeds.

Agreed - there are many who throw out the term ultra right/left as a means to block any discussion. It is currently used much in Spain against the ultra-derecha Vox party. Most of their policies are odious but no-one seems interested amidst the catcalls and screeching , to understand why about 10-15% of Spaniards are probably going to vote for them.
    I couldn't say definitively that all those who vote for odious policies are odious, but the possibility has to be considered.
  • Options
    felix said:

Carswell gets it so wrong!

Douglas Carswell

@DouglasCarswell

Either you can be the party that accommodates Boles-Letwin-Gauke or you can form a government. One cannot do both.

I don't know where to start on that comment given who has written it.... I mean.... sheesh.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,380

Anyone else shocked that Farage hasn’t tweeted about Christchurch.

Normally super Nige is the first to comment on terrorism involving Muslims.

Same thing for SeanT...
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,785

Quincel said:

Keep an eye on Mayor Pete (Buttigieg).

Long long shot, but he's good. Very good.

As I posted last night, could be a big surprise dark horse if gets to the debates.

Axelrod is a fan.

I like Buttigieg, but I'm not convinced he will be able to stand out given a crowded field of pretty solid primary candidates. He'll make it to the debates though, I'm almost certain.

I'm on Biden at 9/1 for the nomination, also reckon Warren is a bit long. She's polling decently and imho is a stronger candidate than most of the second tier lot who are 20/1 or so at bookies. I reckon both Biden and Sanders are strong but fragile campaigns, if something derailed Sanders then Warren would be well placed to leap to the top tier. She might also be a strong debater due to her detail, though it remains to be seen if that's what the voters want.

Also on Trump for the GOP nomination. Got longer than 1/2 earlier this year. Nuts.
    Is America ready for a gay President Booty Gig, with his husband in the White House? I think it is a little too soon.
    I suspect they're readier than for a Black one and they've had one of those....
  • Options

Fellow posters.

I just want to say a huge thank you to all the community who have been so kind in your expressions of sympathy over the sad premature loss of my wifes cousin's son at 46 leaving his wife and three children, after just a few short weeks of discovering he had a rare form of extremely aggressive cancer

This followed the terrible news of the massacre in Christchurch, NZ, a city we love, and it's people, by a far right monster acting in the purest form of evil

It is a demonstration to all of us to call out all the far right and far left in one voice and work to unifying people and acknowledging there is more that unites us than divides us

PB was a wonderful example of that as so many were so kind right across the spectrum of all of us who post on here

Let us all look to kindness to each other and trust that whatever happens to brexit, we can heal the divisions in our society

As a mark of respect to my family I will not post over the weekend and truely hope that something will happen shortly to move us on

Thank you all so much. You are such a credit to our basic humanity and decency

You are a gent. We are lucky to have your studied decency, keeping us true.
    Well said and my own condolences to Mr G's family too.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125

felix said:

stodge said:

Agreed - there are many who throw out the term ultra right/left as a means to block any discussion. It is currently used much in Spain against the ultra-derecha Vox party. Most of their policies are odious but no-one seems interested amidst the catcalls and screeching , to understand why about 10-15% of Spaniards are probably going to vote for them.
    I couldn't say definitively that all those who vote for odious policies are odious, but the possibility has to be considered.
    Just the response I'd expect from you. Sad.
  • Options

The morons will tell you UKIP only became anti-Muslim on Gerard Batten’s watch.

Happened way before that.

Be fair - he's still got 200 miles to go.

[unless private jet has taken off yet]
  • Options

felix said:

Douglas Carswell

@DouglasCarswell

Either you can be the party that accommodates Boles-Letwin-Gauke or you can form a government. One cannot do both.

I don't know where to start on that comment given who has written it.... I mean.... sheesh.
    All those three are doing more to promote Brexit than Carswell is.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Looks like the worst day of Gilets Jaunes vandalism since last year.

https://twitter.com/BakerLuke/status/1106896458261893120

Why on earth can't the French authorities get on top of this?
    What we need is another lecture from Macron on how Brexit has banjaxed the UK....
  • Options

Same thing for SeanT...
    https://twitter.com/thomasknox/status/1106434268572598272
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

felix said:

Douglas Carswell

@DouglasCarswell

It's more the comment about who can be accomodated and who can't by someone who didn't....
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,121

I think he dropped out some time ago.

https://twitter.com/dazabdaza/status/1106927220583337984?s=21
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985
    nico67 said:

What might happen .

The ERG vote for the deal , May gets an extension then they pull the plug on the WAIB after the EU elections by which time there’s no chance for further delay .

Then the issue of revocation . There seems to be a huge gap in the law . What if the UK hasn’t taken part in EU elections and then tries to revoke .

The EU have said the UK can’t continue to be a member if it hasn’t put forward MEPs but let’s say early June the UK revokes .

What happens . I’ve read the full ECJ judgement but can’t see mention of MEPs .

A by-election? They happen all the time for other Parliaments :p
  • Options

Sean_F said:

felix said:

Douglas Carswell

@DouglasCarswell

It's more the comment about who can be accomodated and who can't by someone who didn't....
    That also.
  • Options

Will Kemp managed a nine day wonder. This looks more like a nine hour blunder.
  • Options
    felix said:

felix said:

stodge said:

The Right: we need to condemn a little more, understand a little less, except when it's
    people voting for policies from the more obnoxious end of rightwing politics.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,935
    blockquote class="Quote" rel="nico67">What might happen .

The ERG vote for the deal , May gets an extension then they pull the plug on the WAIB after the EU elections by which time there’s no chance for further delay .

Then the issue of revocation . There seems to be a huge gap in the law . What if the UK hasn’t taken part in EU elections and then tries to revoke .

The EU have said the UK can’t continue to be a member if it hasn’t put forward MEPs but let’s say early June the UK revokes .

All this knowledge in my head is increasingly obsolete, but when a country that is not an EU member accedes, then MEPs are appointed until an off-year election (by-election) is held. Here is the Wiki page for the off-year election for Sweden in 1995. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1995_European_Parliament_election_in_Sweden

I have not got any sources for you for cases where a country gives notice, misses the election, then decides to revoke at the last minute because it just can't be arsed to think straight. Oddly enough, nobody planned for that.

• Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125

felix said:

felix said:

stodge said:

The Right: we need to condemn a little more, understand a little less, except when it's
    Exactly the same on the left. There's none so blind.....
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,935
    nico67 said:

What might happen .

All this knowledge in my head is increasingly obsolete, but when a country that is not an EU member accedes, then MEPs are appointed until an off-year election (by-election) is held. Here is the Wiki page for the off-year election for Sweden in 1995. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1995_European_Parliament_election_in_Sweden

I have not got any sources for you for cases where a country gives notice, misses the election, then decides to revoke at the last minute because it just can't be arsed to think straight. Oddly enough, nobody planned for that.

• Options
    Reading the BBC report on Boles resignation from his Association, it appears some there think he is their delegate and not the constituency's representative - and since he's voted for MV2 and the government whipped extension to A50, this reflects badly on them, and not their MP.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-47594875
  • Options
    felix said:

felix said:

felix said:

stodge said:

Exactly the same on the left. There's none so blind.....
    So rather than catcall & screech about Corbyn, you really, really want to understand the people who vote for far left polices? You've done a masterful job of hiding you curiosity about the motivations of those particulary voters up to now, thumbs down on the catcalling & screeching bit though.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,124
    edited March 2019

People's Vote is aiming for up to 2 million in London next Saturday, would have been more sensible for the March to Leave to just hold a rival rally in Sunderland on the same day, most Leavers do not want to do a hike across the UK to make a point
  • Options
    brendan16brendan16 Posts: 2,315
    HYUFD said:

People's Vote is aiming for up to 2 million in London next Saturday, would have been more sensible for the March to Leave to just hold a rival rally in Sunderland on the same day, most Leavers do not want to do a hike across the UK to make a point
    And frankly neither will have any effect. It was pretty much decided this week we won't be leaving on no deal/WTO terms and there is no appetite in parliament for a people's vote.
  • Options
    Christ, I hadn't realised that Hoey had lent her august presence. Has she bailed out with Nigel yet I wonder?

https://twitter.com/KateHoeyMP/status/1106874058925359104
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,334
    brendan16 said:

HYUFD said:

And frankly neither will have any effect. It was pretty much decided this week we won't be leaving on no deal/WTO terms and there is no appetite in parliament for a people's vote.
    So what can we do? If we can't leave, and can't stay, what next?
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    The March to Leave is doing more harm than good .

When the turnout could fill a camper van it’s not a good look.
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    brendan16 said:

HYUFD said:

Which will still leave a lot of unhappy voters though I agree either the Deal or extension and Brexit with some form of Customs Union and/or Single Market arrangement is the likeliest outcome
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,295

Reading the BBC report on Boles resignation from his Association, it appears some there think he is their delegate and not the constituency's representative - and since he's voted for MV2 and the government whipped extension to A50, this reflects badly on them, and not their MP.

I am afraid that one of the more poisonous long term effects of Brexit will be to have cemented this idea that an MP is simply their to reflect the views of their local party membership. You can see it happening over on the Labour side as anyone who isn't fully signed up Momentum worshipper is viewed with increasing suspicion.

• Options

Same thing for SeanT...
    Facebook and co are in so much sh*t now. Bet Clegg is glad he took on the new job.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    nico67 said:

Well on here you and TUD seem determined to give them a lot of attention.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

Same thing for SeanT...
    Facebook and co are in so much sh*t now. Bet Clegg is glad he took on the new job.
    Why? There is only so much they can do.
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    May might yet win:

https://twitter.com/tpgcolson/status/1106940439578533889

Local NUF and business people, councillors - telling MP to back it and get it done.

How many other ERGers are getting this message this weekend?
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    edited March 2019

May might yet win:

Local NUF and business people, councillors - telling MP to back it and get it done.

Sure, quite a lot of the ERG could break. But to get the vote over the line, May needs the DUP. Otherwise the number of Labour rebels she needs is just too high.
  • Options
    Marco1Marco1 Posts: 34
    Pretty scary what is happening in Paris
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,613

May might yet win:

Sure, quite a lot of the ERG could break. But to get the vote over the line, May needs the DUP. Otherwise the number of Labour rebels she needs is just too high.
    Or Labour.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985

May might yet win:

This is the same Daniel Kawczynski who was threatening to lobby the Polish government to stop them accepting an A50 extension? Quite a conversion.
  • Options
    RobD said:

May might yet win:

This is the same Daniel Kawczynski who was threatening to lobby the Polish government to stop them accepting an A50 extension? Quite a conversion.
    https://twitter.com/robfordmancs/status/1106943270041587715
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,291
    I don't think I have ever seen Ireland play as badly as this.
  • Options
    RobD said:

May might yet win:

And the same one who said WTO would be wonderful . If it’s so good why back Mays deal. Of course he’s just another ERG nutjob who peddles lies every time his mouth opens .
  • Options
    nico67 said:

RobD said:

May might yet win:

And the same one who said WTO would be wonderful . If it’s so good why back Mays deal. Of course he’s just another ERG nutjob who peddles lies every time his mouth opens .
    Seems he has had a massive dose of reality via meeting his actual constituents.
  • Options

nico67 said:

RobD said:

May might yet win:

Hilariously he makes out businesses want Brexit . He really is an odious creep who lied about the Marshall plan .
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    I would be surprised if many Labour MPs were inclined to switch support in line with the DUP.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,983
    nico67 said:

RobD said:

May might yet win:

I see nothing at all in his message that says he doesn't still think WTO would be better than the Deal. He may be right in that. But he clearly realises that No Deal has now been effectively scuppered and doesn't trust the PM not to revoke if there is no deal passed. As such he is taking a very sensible decision to back the Deal.

He is just later coming to the acceptance that something is better than nothing than others.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Hopefully that will be 2 million more people who are going to find out in the near future what all other mass marches have found over the years - that they make not a blind bit of difference.
  • Options

nico67 said:

Well on here you and TUD seem determined to give them a lot of attention.
    If it's doing these roasters' cause harm, the more attention the better.
  • Options
    nico67 said:

nico67 said:

RobD said:

May might yet win:

Hilariously he makes out businesses want Brexit . He really is an odious creep who lied about the Marshall plan .
    So hilarious that senior representatives of both the CBI and FSB were on Sky News only a few days ago urging MPs to back the deal.
  • Options

So hilarious that senior representatives of both the CBI and FSB were on Sky News only a few days ago urging MPs to back the deal.

Senior representatives of the FSB?

https://twitter.com/Channel4News/status/1076079292415655937
  • Options

nico67 said:

RobD said:

May might yet win:

I see nothing at all in his message that says he doesn't still think WTO would be better than the Deal. He may be right in that. But he clearly realises that No Deal has now been effectively scuppered and doesn't trust the PM not to revoke if there is no deal passed. As such he is taking a very sensible decision to back the Deal.

He is just later coming to the acceptance that something is better than nothing than others.
    No he has peddled WTO and has been given a reality check by businesses . At the same time the ERG have been sending a message that no deal was fine hence some Leavers now parading around with their deal is a betrayal signs. He has added to the division in the country by expecting Remainers to have to swallow not only Brexit but the absolute worst outcome . Leavers who want to leave in an orderly way I can cope with those pushing no deal are a disgrace .
  • Options
    This remains the best commentary so far on how Brexit is progressing - Chaplin himself would be proud.

https://twitter.com/RupertMyers/status/1106802515943800832
  • Options

Senior representatives of the FSB?

https://twitter.com/Channel4News/status/1076079292415655937
    It's taken 19 years, but he's Putin his heart and soul into democracy.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

May might yet win:

The telling line there is "mood in my constituency changing quickly"

How about the mood in the country? Maybe we should find out? We could ask the people? Just needs a catchy name...
  • Options

I am afraid that one of the more poisonous long term effects of Brexit will be to have cemented this idea that an MP is simply their to reflect the views of their local party membership. You can see it happening over on the Labour side as anyone who isn't fully signed up Momentum worshipper is viewed with increasing suspicion.
    I don't think its got anything to do with Brexit. Its all about control - Chris Bryant from 2015:

This modern phenomenon also wants to turn MPs into delegates mandated online.

Now, I’ve always thought that Edmund Burke sounded rather arrogant when he told the voters of Bristol that an MP “owes you, not his industry only, but his judgment; and he betrays, instead of serving you, if he sacrifices it to your opinion”.

The voters of Bristol thought so, too. They dispensed with his services at the election.

But Burke’s point is even more important in an era of social media, when every email, every tweet and every posting comes replete with the demand that an MP should do precisely as his or her constituents wish (which is always precisely as the correspondent wishes).

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/elections/2015/12/sorry-role-mp-be-representative-not-delegate

Brexit may have made it worse - but the tussle between representative democracy and (allegedly) delegated democracy is as old as democracy itself.
  • Options

This remains the best commentary so far on how Brexit is progressing - Chaplin himself would be proud.

https://twitter.com/RupertMyers/status/1106802515943800832

That's very funny, but I'm sure somebody will take a fence at it.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

I would be surprised if many Labour MPs were inclined to switch support in line with the DUP.

If the DUP switch May does not need many more Labour MPs as most of the ERG will cave, especially given the clear risk of no Brexit at all
  • Options

So you're not talking about Brexit then?
  • Options

So you're not talking about Brexit then?
    Perhaps we should have had some Welshmen on the team. At least they wouldn't have been quite so sheep-like and woolly headed as Davis.
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Marco1 said:

https://twitter.com/RemyBuisine/status/1106898572598042624

Nah....nothing to see here.

Meanwhile, that global laughing stock, the UK.....

https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1106958056062177280
  • Options
    Janet Daley: "If we can't leave on time, we should stay in - and become Macron's worst nightmare"

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2019/03/16/cant-leave-time-should-stay-become-macrons-worst-nightmare/
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,127

Marco1 said:

https://twitter.com/RemyBuisine/status/1106898572598042624

Nah....nothing to see here.

Meanwhile, that global laughing stock, the UK.....
    I suspect the City might not be relocating to Paris next week.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,002
    Good afternoon, everyone.

Rather rubbish weather, again. Aim to have the ramble up around 5.30-6pm, depending how things go.
  • Options
    There was an awful lot of wind about as they set off behind Farage.

And the weather wasn't very nice either.
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Scott_P said:
    Well, that's at least something unspeakable guarding England.

This is too easy.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Didn't Wales largely vote to leave? Old Nige must have a few closet supporters in the Valleys
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,955
    Scott_P said:
    In the bag.

On Paris, am I right that Macron's popularity has recovered somewhat since the yellow vesters went too far?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Scott_P said:
    In the bag.

On Paris, am I right that Macron's popularity has recovered somewhat since the yellow vesters went too far?
    They're going a bit further today.....

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/europe/french-yellow-vests-clash-with-police-in-paris/2019/03/16/b1b9e6d4-47d3-11e9-94ab-d2dda3c0df52_story.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.04816dcacbfb
  • Options
    That was more embarrassingly one sided than a Brexit negotiation.

At least the English led at half time.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Scott_P said:
    In the bag.

They're going a bit further today.....

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/europe/french-yellow-vests-clash-with-police-in-paris/2019/03/16/b1b9e6d4-47d3-11e9-94ab-d2dda3c0df52_story.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.04816dcacbfb
    French police tried to contain the demonstrators with tear gas and water cannon with limited success.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

If the DUP switch May does not need many more Labour MPs as most of the ERG will cave, especially given the clear risk of no Brexit at all
    https://twitter.com/JohnRentoul/status/1106958517255192579
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Scott_P said:
    In the bag.

Yes , it’s picked up over the last few months . The disgraceful scenes in Paris will just drive more of the public against them. Protest is in the French DNA but events have got out of control now and these protests have been hijacked by anarchists . You can’t have mob rule deciding policy . I have no problem with peaceful protest . But once these people started vandalizing the Arc De Triomphe earlier in the year their support has nosedived .
  • Options
    A second referendum is perfectly acceptable, although a 52-48 vote for Remain would be problematic. A straight up cancellation would be disastrous, but it should see the end of most of the Wankers of Westminster's political careers, so it's not all bad.
  • Options
    edited March 2019

A second referendum is perfectly acceptable
    A second referendum mandated by a party winning a majority at a general election on that basis is indeed perfectly acceptable.

Otherwise its an abuse of process.
  • Options
    A few

May might yet win:

May might yet win:

A few no doubt. I know a couple of Tory cllrs and they were scathing about what was going on in Westminster. In fairness I don’t think they were ever fired up brexiteers though.
  • Options

A second referendum mandated by a party winning a majority at a general election on that basis is indeed perfectly acceptable.

Really? What about the AV referendum which went against a manifesto commitment to FPTP by the Tories 2010?
  • Options

Really? What about the AV referendum which went against a manifesto commitment to FPTP by the Tories 2010?
    They didn't win a majority.
  • Options
    NormNorm Posts: 1,251
    The irreconciliables seem to be undecided as to whether May would go nuclear and revoke Article 50 if by 29th March no deal was staring us in the face. But that conundrum only arises if the EU fail to grant the UK an extension. More likely perhaps they do so and we move towards a soft Norway plus Brexit - would that be better than May's deal for the ERG?
  • Options
    justin124 said:

I cannot figure out why a lab mp would back it at mv3 if not at mv2. There was and is no guarantee they’d even get another chance and they don’t seen as exercised about the backstop as the Tory hold outs.
  • Options

There wasn't a Conservative government after the 2010 GE.
  • Options

Just like now then...
  • Options
    Absolutely no way the UK can just cancel Brexit and pretend it never happened .

It has to go to a second vote . As a Remainer I couldn’t support anything that didn’t involve the public having the final say .

That would cause terrible damage to the country , a second vote is the only way .
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,382
    kle4 said:

justin124 said:

I cannot figure out why a lab mp would back it at mv3 if not at mv2. There was and is no guarantee they’d even get another chance and they don’t seen as exercised about the backstop as the Tory hold outs.
    Backing it if it takes it over the line would deliver a sense of achievement that reducing May's loss cannot.
  • Options
    CiceroCicero Posts: 2,252
    nico67 said:

kle4 said:

Scott_P said:
    In the bag.

Yes , it’s picked up over the last few months . The disgraceful scenes in Paris will just drive more of the public against them. Protest is in the French DNA but events have got out of control now and these protests have been hijacked by anarchists . You can’t have mob rule deciding policy . I have no problem with peaceful protest . But once these people started vandalizing the Arc De Triomphe earlier in the year their support has nosedived .
    https://codastory.com/disinformation/yellow-vests-donbas-paris/

Here is yet another link between disruption in the West and Russian subversion. There is considerable evidence of a systematic and sustained attempt to damage democratic states that is both coordinated and funded by the Kremlin.

• Options
    nico67 said:

Absolutely no way the UK can just cancel Brexit and pretend it never happened .

It has to go to a second vote . As a Remainer I couldn’t support anything that didn’t involve the public having the final say .

That would cause terrible damage to the country , a second vote is the only way .

Why should anyone pay attention to a second referendum when the first was ignored ?

Or do referenda only count when they produce the answer the establishment wants ?
  • Options

Just like now then...
    So we agree that there is no mandate for a second referendum
  • Options
    Cicero said:

nico67 said:

kle4 said:

Scott_P said:
    In the bag.

https://codastory.com/disinformation/yellow-vests-donbas-paris/

Here is yet another link between disruption in the West and Russian subversion. There is considerable evidence of a systematic and sustained attempt to damage democratic states that is both coordinated and funded by the Kremlin.

An alternative explanation is that Western governments have been treating too many of their own people like crap.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

kle4 said:

justin124 said:

Backing it if it takes it over the line would deliver a sense of achievement that reducing May's loss cannot.
    They need to show some backbone. unless every erg mp says what they intend we won’t know how close it is. Who knows, 20 lab MPs might persuade some Tories to switch as they see it might be close.

• Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,941

Same thing for SeanT...
    He’s certainly going to have to work hard for his $1m salary, that’s for sure.

First job, explain to politicians worldwide how come there are still copies of a murderous rampage - filmed by the terrorist and streamed live - all over their platform.
This discussion has been closed.