Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » If there are UK Euro elections in May Farage’s new Brexit part

1235»

Comments

• Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679

algarkirk said:

For that reason the UK should have had a referendum on the Euro regardless of whether we were going to join it. The UK would and should have prevented the Euro altogether. The referendum should have been about what sort of EU it was going to be. To this day millions of moderates in the UK want a commercial and trading relationship which is highly integrated without fiscal and political union. Our biggest post war failure is not to achieve it.

The UK could not have prevented the Euro from happening. Furthermore people who think you can have a deeply integrated trading relationship without politics are simply deluding themselves.
    Exactly. It beats me why this 'we only joined a common market' line still gets trotted out.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,796

Scott_P said:
    She won't go far in Corbyn's Labour then.....
    Implausible deniability. You may be wrong!

This is becoming daft. Labour should apologise to the Jewish religion, people of Jewish descent, the Israeli state, and everyone else that they've said and done things that were ill-thought-out against. They will of course come back to criticise, where merited, any and all of these groups, but for the time being they should apologise.

• Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,060
    Omnium said:

Scott_P said:
    She won't go far in Corbyn's Labour then.....
    Implausible deniability. You may be wrong!

This is becoming daft. Labour should apologise to the Jewish religion, people of Jewish descent, the Israeli state, and everyone else that they've said and done things that were ill-thought-out against. They will of course come back to criticise, where merited, any and all of these groups, but for the time being they should apologise.
    They have done, several times. The problem is that the disease is so ingrained that people members, MPs or followers keep on making comments, or denying events, or excusing others, that it's clear that any apology from individuals is either not meant or is just a well-meant but powerless individual speaking personally.

The party needs to sort itself out, then apologise. But as we see on here, the chances of the former happening are remote, as the die-hard Corbynites prefer to excuse and deny anti-Semtism rather than confront it. In some cases, perhaps because they too share the disease.
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    MTimT said:

To a lot of people, the 80s was a period of increasing national self-confidence and swagger.

That is not how I remember the 80s at all.
    Nor me. My abiding memory is applying for 130 jobs after getting made redundant the second time, and wondering all the time I was doing so if I was doing enough. The news story I remember was the mounted police riding into the poll tax protesters in Trafalgar Square with smoke rising in the background. It was the dump truck of decades.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,941

Anorak said:

Dadge said:

Even though Chris Grayling is 5x as stupid as Diane Abbott, he doesn't receive the same level of stick from the public. Three possible reasons for this are 1. most people wouldn't recognise him if they met him, 2. press go much harder on lefties, and 3. he's a bloke. Any others?

I think he's better than Abbott at media interviews and that counts for a lot with people in the media.
    I also think that right now, and ever since the ferry-company-with-no-ferries thing, he's been getting a LOT more stick than Jezza's ex.
    There can't be many Transport Secretaries who have been as well known.
    Stephen “Bozo” Byers is the last one who springs to mind by name.
  • Options

OT - Sporting brains trust...

Got a weekend break in Oxford booked in a hotel from this evening with the family but also a secret ticket to Spurs v Arsenal for tomorrow requiring me leaving the family car-less if I break away and go.

What is the correct action here - esp as I'm expecting the football week from hell to continue?

Take a taxi.
  • Options
    TheJezziahTheJezziah Posts: 3,840
    Ishmael_Z said:

DougSeal said:

malcolmg said:

FF43 said:

The only way of leaving is by accepting it's worse than Remaining, which is what I think Lilico intended to write. That's why a bunch of the more aware voted Remain. It's better than Leave.
    Remain Now may be better than Leave Now. But what about the future?

We have no crystal ball. What we can see is that the EU has many fundamental problems as they try to forge an ever closer union. They may be able to pull together amicably or they may require force (economic or military) to build it. Human history strongly suggests the latter - either to forge it (as per the US Civil War) or prevent its breakup (Yugoslavia). Personally I want no part of that.
    Don't forget our own history of forming a union. Which makes it more amusing to me that Nationalists are so pro-EU.
    That the one that was done by 12 Tory chancers for money and has led to the people being ripped off for 300 years.
    Selling your nation for a bit of money?

Seems like Ireland's motivation to be in the EU.
    Ireland's motivation for remaining in the EU is to prevent themselves being screwed by us for another 800 years or so.
    ..and nasty little jingoistic English nationalist pipsqueeks like Philip_Thompson
    MODERATORS

Can we hope for a time when you decide the site is better of without this poster's content-free venom? He has never said anything remotely interesting or entertaining or insightful or counter intuitive (see his posts on this thread). If I come here and find he is posting I go away again. I doubt it's just me that does that.
    He's one of several posters I just ignore, seems very little point actually engaging with him.
  • Options
    VerulamiusVerulamius Posts: 1,436
    Sandpit said:

Anorak said:

Dadge said:

Even though Chris Grayling is 5x as stupid as Diane Abbott, he doesn't receive the same level of stick from the public. Three possible reasons for this are 1. most people wouldn't recognise him if they met him, 2. press go much harder on lefties, and 3. he's a bloke. Any others?

I think he's better than Abbott at media interviews and that counts for a lot with people in the media.
    I also think that right now, and ever since the ferry-company-with-no-ferries thing, he's been getting a LOT more stick than Jezza's ex.
    Prescott would be another.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Got a weekend break in Oxford booked in a hotel from this evening with the family but also a secret ticket to Spurs v Arsenal for tomorrow requiring me leaving the family car-less if I break away and go.

What is the correct action here - esp as I'm expecting the football week from hell to continue?

Plenty for them to do in Oxford without a car :)
    That's what I thought - it's park and ride for the best bits anyway isn't it?

Re the car - It's a matter of getting to a good tube station as the train service I'm used to is abysmal but I don't know the lines / stations from the west side.

Taxi - ££££££
  • Options

MTimT said:

Floater said:

Floater said:

malcolmg said:

viewcode said:

malcolmg said:

FPT for Floater

Floater said:

» show previous quotes
    Nice Avatar pic Malc - is it new or have I not being paying attention?

Been there a while now. I got my grandson one of these painted in the TIKI colours etc, very nice. Also got him this one recently.
    https://www.rctank.de/New-Panther-F-metal-edition-with-Taigen-BB-shoot-unit-metal-lower-hull-and-turret-steel-41-gearboxes

In the latter half of WWII, the Germans came up with phenomenal tank designs but (for various different reasons) could not make them reliable nor in sufficient numbers. As a result there were not many Tigers, King Tigers, Panthers et al. This means that individual tanks can be identified.
    Thanks for links , I have bought the book.
    I have read the Das Reich book and been to the site - unbelievable really.

Marching people down the street with their nooses and stopping at each lamp post if I recall........

A number of the 'German' troops were in fact from Alsace Lorraine were they not?
    That I cannot remember - but still changes nothing as regards the inhumanity and barbarism
    Didn't the Germans at the time consider any native-German speakers to be German, regardless of nationality? The Belgian German-speakers were certainly recruited into the military as Germans.
    Alsace-Lorraine has always been somewhere switched between whichever side won last!
    Alsace Lorraine was French, is French and always will be French. A long time ago I was taken to a sort of Theme Park, can't remember where exactly, near Strasbourg I think where there was a very good interactive School Room showing how the regime changed with the times.

Territoire de Belfort is always worth a visit and le Lion de Belfort.

There never were native German speakers in France, even if the Alsaceois spoke French with a strong German accent, and apparently still do.

Of course Montbeliard is essentially German in outlook, being the last part to be incorporated into France, about 1800 ? Montbeliard is the only Protestant town in France, with an extremely austere Protestant church. Because it became part of France so late it was exempt from the Revocation of the Edict of Nantes.

Having said that Sochaux, near Montbeliard is the home of Peugeot and you can't get much more French than that. The Peugeot Museum with its emphasis on ripping of every British and American good idea is a must see.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    Sandpit said:

Anorak said:

Dadge said:

Barbara Castle and Ernest Marples were well known in their day - as was Leslie Hore-Belisha.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Being serious, there are clearly many people in the Labour party (whether it is a tiny minority, minority or majority) who appear to believe Tom Watson is actively seeking to bring down Jeremy Corbyn and anyone who supports him. The question for me is what does Corbyn make of that and what does he do? He cannot very well 'encourage' through inaction more MPs to jump ship, purity is all very well but he's been leader long enough to know he cannot afford to constantly be driving off MPs. So how does he win this fight? The members are probably on his side, but how does he bring that further to bear on Watson? Or does he not think Watson is after him at all?

He’ll be quite happy if all the Blairites f... off from his party, leaving only the True Believers behind
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352

algarkirk said:

For that reason the UK should have had a referendum on the Euro regardless of whether we were going to join it. The UK would and should have prevented the Euro altogether. The referendum should have been about what sort of EU it was going to be. To this day millions of moderates in the UK want a commercial and trading relationship which is highly integrated without fiscal and political union. Our biggest post war failure is not to achieve it.

The UK could not have prevented the Euro from happening. Furthermore people who think you can have a deeply integrated trading relationship without politics are simply deluding themselves.
    Exactly. It beats me why this 'we only joined a common market' line still gets trotted out.
    Because that was the lie the nation told itself to justify voting yes in the first referendum...
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Anorak said:

Cyclefree said:

TOPPING said:

Anorak said:

Apropos of nothing, who is the worst human being out of:
    1. George Galloway
    2. Piers Morgan
    3. Andrew Bridgen
    4. Christopher Chope
    5. Chris Williamson

I rank them 1,3,5,4,2 (first being worst). But open to persuasion.

6. Mark Francois
    Steve Baker needs to be on the list. And Seamus Milne.
    I nearly put Seamus on there. But he just didn't meet the 'skin crawl' test, however unpleasant he is.
    I think I would have to put Chope at the top. Whilst the others are all vile because of what they say, only Chope has made use of his position to actually cause material harm to people through his actions.
    I don’t believe he damages anyone (except the Tory Party) by his actions

AIUI - I’m not the Erskine May groupie - I’m shouting “object” he basically kills private member bills

If he didn’t they would move to the next stage of debate.

However *none of them become law anyway* because they basically run out of time

So the only impact is that (a) he creates more time for his mates’ pet subjects to be debated and (b) he creates damaging ammunition for opponents of the Tories to use. His real world effect is minimal
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    _Anazina_ said:

I doubt I am the only one who longs for the days when politicians eating burgers or bacon sarnies was all we had to worry about.

Fiddling while Rome burned is precisely why we're here.
  • Options
    TudorRoseTudorRose Posts: 1,662
    I see that there is a request from Scotland Yard to spend more money looking for Madeleine McCann. Whilst I have sympathy with any parents who lose their children (whatever the circumstances) I do think that spending more money looking for her is wasteful. So far £12m has been spent on this which is a lot to spend on looking for one person. Madeleine, if she is alive (which I hope she is), will have spent 12 years in her 'new' life and so even if she is found it is surely doubtful that she would be able or want to return to her birth parents.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,925
    kyf_100 said:

viewcode said:

Pulpstar said:

_Anazina_ said:

https://twitter.com/alexwickham/status/1101480975048024065

Watson! Walk your people out of this cesspit.

I used to work across the street from there. It was never that busy. There are better places in the West End to enjoy a steak.
    I'm assuming Philip Collins the Times writer ?
    Possibly. There is some doubt. In fact, you could say it's a Land of Confusion... :)
    I know this is a betting site, but you have to imagine the chances of Watson joining the Tiggers are against all odds?

It certainly seems to be In The Air Tonight. Tonight, Tonight,Tonight in fact. Or possibly One More Night, because the ERG are asking Why Can't It Wait Til Morning. I shall ask Mama. Although you could say I Don't Care Anymore, and, well, That's Just The Way It Is.

Ah, my coat. Hello, I Must Be Going... :)
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,925

Go with your family to Oxford. You can record the footy but your time with the family is finite.
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502

Dump the family but leave them the car and get a train !
  • Options
    Fysics_TeacherFysics_Teacher Posts: 6,060

As others have said, take the train. Oxford has two routes into London: GWR to Paddington or Chiltern line to Marylebone.
This discussion has been closed.