Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Birds of a Feather

Comments

• Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    Jonathan said:

So it’s a matter of miles, a neighbouring seat ok, but one beyond that not. Where can you draw the line? A bit of an arbitrary silly rule.

If being local was key the voters would vote for it. They don’t. Historically people vote for parties and then the individual. You’re arguing for identity politics.

No, its a matter of representation. It is a matter of the North of England being properly represented by its own folk. It is a matter of the working class being properly represented. It is a matter of the Welsh being properly represented.

You wouldn't argue against black or minority ethnic being properly represented, or women being properly represented. It is the same principle.

There are too many affluent middle-class white males from the South of England in Parliament. Often representing seats with which they have no connection.

There is an important principle involved here. Equality of representation. Our Parliament should look like our countries.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,897
    edited February 2019
    Foxy said:

kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

On

Nonrutiny.
    So, if you happen to be born or live in an opponents safe seat you can never get involved in national politics. Hmmm.
    Indeey selection issue.
    The problem is that party selections are either under the control of a hundred or so local members, or a national party favouring its SPADS. Local voters rarely get a say, and when they do their choices are often at odds will local parties and national leaders, Sarah Wollaston for example.

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

Jonathan said:

On that bas

Nonsense.

Wilson could have represented Huddersfield or any neighbouring Labour constituency in West Yorkshire (is there really a difficulty in finding Labour seats in west Yorkshire ?),

Callaghan could have represented Portsmouth (it has a Labour MP at the moment).

In fact, at the time you're talking about, there were Labour MPs in Kent and East Anglia and all over the South of England. So, your point hardly stands up to scrutiny.
    So, if you happen to be born or live in an opponents safe seat you can never get involved in national politics. Hmmm.
    I dont think anyone is suggesting a birth certificate is required in order to be the MP for the area, just a genuine connection.
    And how do you judge what is a suitably genuine connection? As I pointed out, someone could undeniably have connection with a place and be less worthy to represent it than someone brand new to the area.
    For god's sake, we're not taking about cutting edge research in quantum gravity.

Have you seen the standard of our MPs?

Most people are "worthy" enough.
    I simply find enforcing a local connection to be a sledgehammer to crack a nut. It's unnecessarily restrictive for far from obvious benefit, and although people moan after the fact sometimes I'm with Jonathan on this one, people vote for parties and really don't seem to prioritising local connection when making their decision which they can still do if they want.

Since enforcing a local connection will in no way guarantee a higher quality of MP nor even that they are better at taking note of and representing the local area, where's the need for it? If the problem is the quality of the people who are MPs, who selects them and so on, this does nothing to advance the quality.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,183
    DougSeal said:

MattW said:

DougSeal said:

Great header. What always springs to mind for me is the Irish Republican constitutional theory that the only mandate that mattered was the 1919 election, which (to their minds) ratified the 1916 declaration of an Irish Republic. No democratic decision of the Irish electorate since then concerned them, such exercises were organised by the 26 and 6 county illigitimate entities. The IRA was the army of the true republic of 1916 to which all Irishmen owed their allegiance.

Similarly the “will of the people” in 2016 is eternal, can never be changed, and any attempt to deviate is illigitimate. But in truth no mandate lasts forever and the further we get from 2016 that stemming from the referendum is inevitably going to weaken. In 2116, while we are in our 97th year of a “transition” the provisional wing of leavers will still be trotting out “...but 17.4 million people...”.

If we are still in transition by 2116 they'll have a point!
    19 years later, Sweden is still in transition to the Euro !!
    That's because the Swedes rejected Euro membership in their referendum. Not because the Swedes backed it.
    It will be a QI fact in 2116, like the Easter Act still being on the statute books waiting for implementation. “Technically the UK’s associate status is designed to facilitate its transition out of the EU, a transition that has been ongoing since 2019!”
    Or the French Third Republic, which was set up by the monarchists as a “transition” to a restoration of the Bourbons while they waited for the Comte de Chambourd (who refused the crown unless the Tricolour was replaced by the Bourbon flag) to die. When he eventually did they had got so used to it they didn’t bother with his heir and the transitional republic remained until 1940.
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    No one wants no deal as much as Coveney does. 'We must not have X. Not fudging slightly on Y causes X. So we must have X'.

Actions, not words, prove that he wants no deal.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,862
    MattW said:

DougSeal said:

Great header. What always springs to mind for me is the Irish Republican constitutional theory that the only mandate that mattered was the 1919 election, which (to their minds) ratified the 1916 declaration of an Irish Republic. No democratic decision of the Irish electorate since then concerned them, such exercises were organised by the 26 and 6 county illigitimate entities. The IRA was the army of the true republic of 1916 to which all Irishmen owed their allegiance.

Similarly the “will of the people” in 2016 is eternal, can never be changed, and any attempt to deviate is illigitimate. But in truth no mandate lasts forever and the further we get from 2016 that stemming from the referendum is inevitably going to weaken. In 2116, while we are in our 97th year of a “transition” the provisional wing of leavers will still be trotting out “...but 17.4 million people...”.

If we are still in transition by 2116 they'll have a point!
    19 years later, Sweden is still in transition to the Euro !!
    This can’t be true because we keep being told that the EU is an unstoppable federalising monster that renders its nation states utterly supine, hence we have to LEAVE.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    justin124 said:

An excellent article. I agree with almost every word.

Yes - It is a great article.

Can we convince her to go into politics?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,130
    Scott_P said:

https://twitter.com/BBCJLandale/status/1099631769144516609

If Jews in Europe are afraid again, that is shameful for us all. Every single attack on them is also an attack on our liberal democracy. We have to regard Jewish life as an undeserved gift and do everything we can to protect it.

...an undeserved gift....???

I hope that is a translation error!
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

Probably

• Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,176
    kle4 said:

No one wants no deal as much as Coveney does. 'We must not have X. Not fudging slightly on Y causes X. So we must have X'.

The hard border (X) is his briar patch.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,054
    kle4 said:

I simply find enforcing a local connection to be a sledgehammer to crack a nut. It's unnecessarily restrictive for far from obvious benefit, and although people moan after the fact sometimes I'm with Jonathan on this one, people vote for parties and really don't seem to prioritising local connection when making their decision which they can still do if they want.

Since enforcing a local connection will in no way guarantee a higher quality of MP nor even that they are better at taking note of and representing the local area, where's the need for it? If the problem is the quality of the people who are MPs, who selects them and so on, this does nothing to advance the quality.

I want more independent MPs (*), and think the party system as it is implemented in this country is failing us. The power to impose candidates on a constituency is a powerful one, and increases the odds of such a candidate following the party line, rather than the local interest. After all, they have no real connection with the local area, might not need to remain in the area once they get voted out, and they owe their position to the party.

No system will guarantee quality of candidate: in many cases the quality will not be known until they are tested. But localism will be better than SPADs and friends of people at the top of the party.

(*) This has been my longstanding position, before this week's developments with TIG.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901

Jonathan said:

So it’s a matter of miles, a neighbouring seat ok, but one beyond that not. Where can you draw the line? A bit of an arbitrary silly rule.

If being local was key the voters would vote for it. They don’t. Historically people vote for parties and then the individual. You’re arguing for identity politics.

No, its a matter of representation. It is a matter of the North of England being properly represented by its own folk. It is a matter of the working class being properly represented. It is a matter of the Welsh being properly represented.

You wouldn't argue against black or minority ethnic being properly represented, or women being properly represented. It is the same principle.

There are too many affluent middle-class white males from the South of England in Parliament. Often representing seats with which they have no connection.

There is an important principle involved here. Equality of representation. Our Parliament should look like our countries.
    That’s a nationalistic priority. I agree diversity matters and prefer proportional representation. But making geographical divisions matter more than they do already? No.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

https://twitter.com/BBCJLandale/status/1099631769144516609

If Jews in Europe are afraid again, that is shameful for us all. Every single attack on them is also an attack on our liberal democracy. We have to regard Jewish life as an undeserved gift and do everything we can to protect it.

It's a gift to us that we do not deserve.
  • Options

kle4 said:

No system will guarantee quality of candidate: in many cases the quality will not be known until they are tested. But localism will be better than SPADs and friends of people at the top of the party.
    I think that is wildly optimistic.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,642
    I saw a thread the other day about how many Councillors Lab had lost since Corbyn through defection.

Different question - how many Councils have changed leadership from Labour?

They have lost Ashfield, which is now lead by Independents nee Libdems.
    Brighton looks possible.

Any others?
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,480

I don't agree with Dan.

Yes if you don't agree with Corbyn you should leave the party. But that's still a very minority position. And the more Corbyn's "enemies" leave the party the more secure his grip on the party becomes. Its a conundrum.

Tom Watson should join TIG and lead an exodus of MPs to TIG. That would destroy Corbyn, by destroying Labour. Which is why he doesn't want to do it.

It is Labourites love of the Labour brand, rather than rather Labour is meant to stand for, that is keeping Corbyn secure.

Harold Wilson famously said the Labour Party is a moral crusade or it is nothing. Under Corbyn the morals are that of Communism, Maduro and Antisemitism. For the sane left it is nothing. Take what made Labour good in your eyes and rebuild it in TIG.
    The Labour brand is not the thing of wonder that many in Labour think it is. It's always been tainted for many by the ine inclusion of the far left, even before the far left led it. Imagine a party with the mainstream left's values and shorn of both the personnel and the associations of the far left. That's got to be anelectorally attractive proposition, surely?
  • Options
    We believe you Labour......

https://morningstaronline.co.uk/article/jewish-labour-supporters-write-letter-support-corbyn

LABOUR under the leadership of Jeremy Corbyn is a “crucial ally in the fight against anti-semitism,” a letter by 201 Jewish members and supporters of the party says.

Riiighht

• Options
    Mr. kle4, it's a definitely temporary backstop that the UK can't leave without EU consent and which the EU refuses to have made explicitly temporary in a legally binding document.

Whatever else one might think, that stacks up about as well as a shield made of cheese.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Floater said:

https://morningstaronline.co.uk/article/jewish-labour-supporters-write-letter-support-corbyn

LABOUR under the leadership of Jeremy Corbyn is a “crucial ally in the fight against anti-semitism,” a letter by 201 Jewish members and supporters of the party says.

Riiighht

https://twitter.com/adamlangleben/status/1099262411868057600
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

You might well be right. But the current system is totally borken.
  • Options
    MattW said:

I saw a thread the other day about how many Councillors Lab had lost since Corbyn through defection.

Different question - how many Councils have changed leadership from Labour?

They have lost Ashfield, which is now lead by Independents nee Libdems.
    Brighton looks possible.

Any others?

The remarkable thing though is that Labour is in opposition against a tired looking government that's been in power for nearly a decade, with their other centre/centre-left opposition destroyed. It should be winning not losing councils.
  • Options
    Floater said:

Riiighht

He still has much support. Some, many, are never going anywhere no matter what happens. Next round of defections, if any, will be very interesting in how it affects those people. Even 9 leaving can be dismissed, but at some point you cannot just insist everything is all ok.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,027
    kle4 said:

Coveney, like the rest of his Government, and indeed its Opposition would rather we stayed.
  • Options

kle4 said:

I want more independent MPs (*), and think the party system as it is implemented in this country is failing us. The power to impose candidates on a constituency is a powerful one, and increases the odds of such a candidate following the party line, rather than the local interest. After all, they have no real connection with the local area, might not need to remain in the area once they get voted out, and they owe their position to the party.

(*) This has been my longstanding position, before this week's developments with TIG.
    Yes localism would be better but that is for the voters to decide.

Any restrictions on who is "approved" to seek election should be avoided, that is the way of dictators across the globe. To ensure their opponents are not approved to get elected.

Ultimately who the voters choose should get elected. However that may be.
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    Jonathan said:

That’s a nationalistic priority. I agree diversity matters and prefer proportional representation. But making geographical divisions matter more than they do already? No.

David Lammy correctly pointed out that over 45 per cent of Oxbridge intake comes from London & the South of England.

You're happy with that? It is a geographical bias.

As Lammy correctly understands, geography is correlated with wealth and class.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Coveney, like the rest of his Government, and indeed its Opposition would rather we stayed.
    Coveney deserves no deal.

If we could somehow inflict no deal on Ireland without it affecting us, that would be poetic justice.
  • Options

kle4 said:

I'm sure many do. But everyone should have had, well, a backstop to not being able to get us to stay. Making it stay or no deal (because unfortunately the deal as is simply won't go through) rather than indulge in a tiny amount of fudge which the EU is famous for, is hugely reckless unless one is happy to see it happen. Coveney's actions indicate he is very happy for it to happen, and so like many of our own MPs is a liar when they moan about the disruption it will cause.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,216
    edited February 2019
    MattW said:

MattW said:

MattW said:

>@Old King Cole

Those are some fair points, but, and it's quite a big but, too a lot of people it doesn't feel like that. For example, why are food banks 'prospering'..... obviously need inverted commas for that....... if unemployment is down and wages are rising?
    I'm a 'bit' chary of citing Ian Duncan Smith as an authority.
    The figure is from the main organisation, Tafel, that runs food banks in Germany.

"All of them are nonprofit organizations. The Tafel support more than 1.5 million people in need of food throughout the country – nearly one third of them are children and youth."
    https://www.tafel.de/english-information/

If IDS had got that wrong, it would have been very publicly debunked very quickly and thrown at him via Twitter, and interminably ever after.
    Their system of working with grocers and retailers to use excess & otherwise wasted food seems (admirably) as much of a principle as feeding the needy.
    That seems pretty much the same as the system here. Presumably, that is also admirable.
    Oh? I thought the UK supermarkets' transition from prosecuting people for taking food from their skips to tokenistic recycling of excess was relatively recent. Looking it up it seems just under 8k tonnes of leftover supermarket food is 'repurposed' per year which I'm pretty sure is a drop in the oceans of need and total wasted.

Afaics the main drive is to have food collection points at supermarkets where you can contribute to food banks with food you've bought at said supermarket, all very virtue signally but not quite what I'd describe as admirable.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,101
    Floater said:

Riiighht

Labour's crucial role in the fight against anti-semitism is creating the anti-semitism to fight against.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Yes localism would be better but that is for the voters to decide.

Any restrictions on who is "approved" to seek election should be avoided, that is the way of dictators across the globe. To ensure their opponents are not approved to get elected.

Ultimately who the voters choose should get elected. However that may be.
    The same argument can be used against the current system: when parties impose candidates against the wishes of the local constituency. Or, say, party lists. ;)
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    Endillion said:

justin124 said:

Some of the problems with deselections are simply due to parties parachuting candidates in.

Luciana Berger was born in Wembley and went to Haberdashers Aske, then Univ. of Birmingham. She has no connection with Liverpool Wavertree.

Nick Boles seems to have spent most of life in London, went to Winchester College, then Oxford Univ. He has no connection with Grantham and Stamford.

These MPs should quite properly be deselected, as they are not at all representative of their constituencies.

They might be suitable as London MPs.

London is already grotesquely fat with its self-importance. We don't need endless MPs from London representing Liverpool or East of England.

But what was Michael Foot's connection with Ebbw Vale? Or Churchill's connection with seats such as Oldham, Manchester NW, Dundee or Epping? What was Gaitskell's link with Leeds South or Wilson's to Ormskirk /Huyton? What drew Asquith to East Fife - and later Paisley?
    The merits of MPs having pre-existing roots in the constituencies they serve is up for debate, but it's clearly wrong to state it as a factor in the case of Luciana Berger. She wasn't brought up there, certainly, but she's been the MP there since 2010, and is now married to a Liverpudlian, and starting a family there. She had no or few complaints about her attachments prior to the Corbyn era.

In any case I can see the potential for a lot of negative side effects of forcing candidates to have deeper connections. There are a lot of parts of the country where this would be simply impractical for one or other party - how on earth would Labour fill its roster in (say) rural Staffordshire? Or the Conservatives in Liverpool?

Is it not a good thing to allow talented people the chance to enter Parliament in cases where they grew up in an area either dominated by the other side, or has a full slate of mediocre yet untouchable sitting MPs in safe seats, with no retirement date in sight? Or that candidates get to practice campaigning in seats they have no chance in, with a view to gaining the experience they need to have a proper tilt at a winnable marginal five years later?
    I agree entirely.
  • Options
    edited February 2019

Jonathan said:

David Lammy correctly pointed out that over 45 per cent of Oxbridge intake comes form London & the South of England.

You’re changing the subject quite heavily there. If you want a conversation about Oxbridge now? Fine. Two seriously screwed up institutions that churn out some seriously screwed up individuals. There are bigger problems in Oxbridge than geography.
  • Options

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

You might well be right. But the current system is totally broken.
    Is it? Turnout has gone up 4 GEs in a row (if barely in a few cases) and very few people seem concerned where their MP comes from.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

DavidL said:

I think that is a terrible idea based on a highly distorted view of the importance of a local connection. Should I only take cases from Dundee and turn down cases in Glasgow because I don't live there? If people don't like a politician from elsewhere standing they don't have to vote for them. The evidence is that the odd by election aside they are really not that bothered.

The problem is that some demographics and groups are wildly over-represented in Parliament. You can surely see how dangerous that is.

Lawyers, for example, are vastly over-represented. Computer programmers vastly under-represented -- now many MPs could write even a small python program?

Luciana Berger representing Liverpool Wavertress --- you're having a larf:

"Asked by the local newspaper to answer four questions on her adopted city, Ms Berger stumbled, admitting she had never heard of the legendary Liverpool football manager Bill Shankly, nor did she know who sang "Ferry Across the Mersey" (Gerry & the Pacemakers), The actor and Liverpool celebrity Ricky Tomlinson threatened to stand against her after it emerged that during the candidate selection she had stayed at the house of the outgoing Blairite incumbent MP, Jane Kennedy." (The Independent 23 April 2010).

And we haven't even mentioned her personalised number plate yet.
    The whole pop quiz thing is bullshit.

But a personalised number plate?

Huge lack of judgement and limited understanding of the value of money
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Largely white, commuter and rural Witham is represented by Priti Patel. Her husband is a Councillor in Bexley so presumably they have a home there.
    Just saying.
  • Options
    SunnyJimSunnyJim Posts: 1,106
    The header is the mirror of how those on the left of the Labour party felt during the NL years.

And indeed, how leavers would be feeling of remain has won by a single vote in 2016...because we all know that issue would be 'settled for a generation' if that had happened.

To be honest I think both the New Labour centrists and remainers need to get themselves beyond stage 1 and moving towards stage 5...for their own state of minds.

https://grief.com/the-five-stages-of-grief/
  • Options

kle4 said:

If we could somehow inflict no deal on Ireland without it affecting us, that would be poetic justice.
    Poetic justice for what; England has mistreated Ireland for centuries.

And no, I'm not Irish, not even enough to get me an Irish passport.
  • Options

Floater said:

Riiighht

Labour's crucial role in the fight against anti-semitism is creating the anti-semitism to fight against.
    LOL - makes perfect sense
  • Options
    PendduPenddu Posts: 265
    In my opinion all elected representatives should be able to justify a strong connection to the area they represent. This could include being born or raised (school - not university) or settled (living and working there for say 5 years) either in the constituency or in a near neighbour. Parachuting in non-local candidates should not happen - there are always enough suitabe local candidates to choose from without carpetbaggers..
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Floater said:

Riiighht

Wow
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    IanB2 said:

MattW said:

DavidL said:

House prices seem pretty static other than in the frothy London end of the market which is dominated by foreign cash. This is a good thing as affordability is increasing, hence the growth of first time buyers.

Whilst I agree with you that @Cyclefree has overegged the rhetorical pudding a little in the lead, can you point me to this frothy London market? AFAICS it is experiencing a useful correction.

Is there another London I don't know about?

Most people I know in London are whinging their heads off about loss of perceived wealth.
    Yet that is a graph of changes, and the line only lately just dips slightly below the 0% level. Hardly a correction. Yet.
    In London super prime the market is down 20% since 2015 (10% since 2016 so the rate of decline is slowing). But transactions are few in number
  • Options
    Penddu said:

In my opinion all elected representatives should be able to justify a strong connection to the area they represent. This could include being born or raised (school - not university) or settled (living and working there for say 5 years) either in the constituency or in a near neighbour. Parachuting in non-local candidates should not happen - there are always enough suitabe local candidates to choose from without carpetbaggers..

People can choose to vote against the carpetbaggers if it is a problem. If they care more about the party brand than carpetbagging I don't see why rules need to be in place to prevent the latter.
  • Options

kle4 said:

The atavistic desire of Brexiteers to see Ireland suffer for their changed allegiances is something to behold.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

You might well be right. But the current system is totally broken.
    Is it? Turnout has gone up 4 GEs in a row (if barely in a few cases) and very few people seem concerned where their MP comes from.
    Yep, it is. We have a fairly lamentable standard of MPs: some gems, but also some incredibly poor candidates who are only in position because of who they know in the national party. That's bad for the country.

Perhaps localism isn't the answer, and perhaps it is. But we cannot continue blindly selecting candidates for the benefit of the national party over the area they're supposed to represent.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,062

Yorkcity said:

Compare and contrast Michael Gove's attitude on Marr to the conservative leavers hoping they will rejoin and Emily Thornberry's vicious attack yesterday on the labour leavers.

Indeed the same can be said about TM attitude compared to Corbyn's 'good riddance' comments

Gove is a duplicitous, not to be trusted man.
    There are literally no politicians that can be trusted.
    However he is as untrustworthy as you get , the champion liar.
  • Options
    Floater said:

Scott_P said:

Floater said:

Riiighht

Wow
    The fact that LOTO is even referring to the Morning Star, shows how far Labour have collapsed into a far left sect.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,220
    edited February 2019
    Thanks for the comments all.

A few points:-

1. @DavidL is right that I have not addressed the economy. I did not intend to. But the actions of the people in Westminster will have an effect on our economic prospects and are certainly having an effect on how Britain is being perceived. That will I think have an effect on our prospects.

2. It is not just anti-Semitism which is the problem with Corbyn’s Labour. It is the fact that it is in the grip of the Far Left which has a repellent attitude on wealth creation, how to run an economy, security, foreign alliances and the proper balance between state controll and individual liberty. Even if the anti-semitism issue were resolved, Labour under the Far Left would be unfit for power. Under the mainstream left, it would have valuable things to offer. But that is not where it is at now nor where it will ever be under Corbyn. It is his whole strand of political thinking which needs to be removed from Labour not merely that he and his supporters stop saying unpleasant things about Jews.

And, yes, I have upped the rhetoric a little. Isn’t that what headers are for? :)

It is summer in my garden. The conservatory doors and windows are open. The bees are buzzing, the flowers are turning their faces to the sun. As shall I.
  • Options

kle4 said:

The atavistic desire of Brexiteers to see Ireland suffer for their changed allegiances is something to behold.
    ALL brexiteers?

Seems like a bit of a stretch
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,183

kle4 said:

I agree. A tone deaf comment which demonstrates why the Irish mistrust us to the point that the backstop is needed. The idea that what we put the Irish through remotely compares to the “inconvenience” of a permanent customs arrangement (I’ve seen @Philip_Thompson describe it as “subjugation” which demonstrates a complete lack of any historical understanding of he word) is in some way even remotely comparable to the one sided “deals” we and many other imperialist countries imposed on others. Given their history why should the Irish believe a word our government tells them? That’s why they want a binding commitment. It is our many chickens coming home to roost.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Lefty Giles Fraser has upset a lot of other lefties with his latest article.

https://twitter.com/giles_fraser/status/1098896087425912832
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    Endillion said:

The merits of MPs having pre-existing roots in the constituencies they serve is up for debate, but it's clearly wrong to state it as a factor in the case of Luciana Berger. She wasn't brought up there, certainly, but she's been the MP there since 2010, and is now married to a Liverpudlian, and starting a family there. She had no or few complaints about her attachments prior to the Corbyn era.

The statement that there were "no or few complaints about her attachments prior to Corbyn" is not true.

https://tinyurl.com/y6y6p8zy

If being an MP required a really specialised set of skills, I might agree -- but I don't think it does.

It requires compassion, level-headedness, some intelligence, some articulacy. Many, many people have the skills to become MPs.

It is more important that Parliament is really representative of the countries. That for me trumps the individual right of someone who may wish to be an MP but finds their local constituencies blocked.

It is the same issue as Fabian Hamilton MP and the all-women shortlist for Leeds North East.

Fabian Hamilton said: "For six years, I was chair of Leeds city council's equal opportunities committee. Equal ops was my life. And to find that, as far as the Labour Party is concerned, equal opportunity now means positive discrimination, came as a real shock to me. I am told that my generation of men will just have to stand back and make way for women. And I understand why certain women in the Party have pushed that policy. But I think they're wrong. What they don't seem to take on board is that I've only got one life, too. I didn't choose my time on earth any more than I chose my sex or my race. And I really mean it when I say that being kept out of a job just because I'm a man offends me as deeply as being kept out of a job just because I'm a Jew"

You agree with Hamilton.

I don't. It is more important for our Parliament to be representative, and that means an equal number of women (amongst other things). For me, that trumps Fabian Hamilton's "right" to be an MP.

Similarly, it is more important that the North of England is properly represented by Northerners than that Jonathan from the South of England can become an MP.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,728
    kle4 said:

Foxy said:

kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

On

Nonrutiny.
    Indeey selection issue.
    The problem is that party selections are either under the control of a hundred or so local members, or a national party favouring its SPADS. Local voters rarely get a say, and when they do their choices are often at odds will local parties and national leaders, Sarah Wollaston for example.

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

Jonathan said:

On that bas

Nonsense.

Wilson y.
    So, if you happen to be born or live
    I dont think anyone is suggesting a birth certificate is required in order to be the MP for the area, just a genuine connection.
    And how do you judge what is a suitably genuine connection? As I pointed out, someone could undeniably have connection with a place and be less worthy to represent it than someone brand new to the area.
    For god's sake, we're not taking about cutting edge research in quantum gravity.

Have you seen the standard of our MPs?

Most people are "worthy" enough.
    I simply find enforcing a

Quality should not be our goal, or at least only quality of character.

If we regard intelligence, education, connections, commitment to a party, success in other fields as markers of quality then we will continue to have a self replicating oligarchy.

There is a bigger need of hospital porters as Doctors, policemen as barristers, office cleaners as bankers, if we are to have a representative parliament. Localism helps up to a point, but I would rather a London postie representing Hull than a local barrister.

My own scheme is to replace the Lords with a senate appointed internally for 5 year terms by local councils, better representation and a stimulus for good people to enter local government, and stick with it.
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976
    Cookie said:

I don't agree with Dan.

Yes if you don't agree with Corbyn you should leave the party. But that's still a very minority position. And the more Corbyn's "enemies" leave the party the more secure his grip on the party becomes. Its a conundrum.

Tom Watson should join TIG and lead an exodus of MPs to TIG. That would destroy Corbyn, by destroying Labour. Which is why he doesn't want to do it.

It is Labourites love of the Labour brand, rather than rather Labour is meant to stand for, that is keeping Corbyn secure.

Harold Wilson famously said the Labour Party is a moral crusade or it is nothing. Under Corbyn the morals are that of Communism, Maduro and Antisemitism. For the sane left it is nothing. Take what made Labour good in your eyes and rebuild it in TIG.
    The Labour brand is not the thing of wonder that many in Labour think it is. It's always been tainted for many by the ine inclusion of the far left, even before the far left led it. Imagine a party with the mainstream left's values and shorn of both the personnel and the associations of the far left. That's got to be anelectorally attractive proposition, surely?
    I think it would be electorally attractive for a few terms, but would lose support after it got us embroiled in a series of messy foreign wars.

Oh wait, I used the wrong tense there.
  • Options
    The problem is NOT people being parachuted into safe seats.

It’s that there are safe seats in the first place. FPTP creates these little silos, but the way it has been implemented in the UK doubly reinforces party fiefdoms.

Address the cause, not the symptoms.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

It’s that there are safe seats in the first place. FPTP creates these little silos, but the way it has been implemented in the UK doubly reinforces party fiefdoms.

Any system would create safe seats. A list system certainly would.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Reading that it’s hard to see how he can be described as a leftie. Women need to stay at home to wipe their parents’ bottoms, young people should not movevfrom where they were born. It’s reactionary nonsense.

• Options
    Penddu said:

Disagree with this on two counts:
    1) Plenty of people I know who went to University somewhere feel and are much more connected to the place than those who were born and raised there; and
    2) It seems that often aren't enough suitable candidates to pick from even with carpetbaggers.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Things would need to be stirred up regularly.
  • Options

Endillion said:

The statement that there were "no or few complaints about her attachments prior to Corbyn" is not true.

If being an MP required a really specialised set of skills, I might agree -- but I don't think it does.

It requires compassion, level-headedness, some intelligence, some articulacy. Many, many people have the skills to become MPs.

It is more important that Parliament is really representative of the countries. That for me trumps the individual right of someone who may wish to be an MP but finds their local constituencies blocked.

It is the same issue as Fabian Hamilton MP and the all-women shortlist for Leeds North East.

Fabian Hamilton said: "For six years, I was chair of Leeds city council's equal opportunities committee. Equal ops was my life. And to find that, as far as the Labour Party is concerned, equal opportunity now means positive discrimination, came as a real shock to me. I am told that my generation of men will just have to stand back and make way for women. And I understand why certain women in the Party have pushed that policy. But I think they're wrong. What they don't seem to take on board is that I've only got one life, too. I didn't choose my time on earth any more than I chose my sex or my race. And I really mean it when I say that being kept out of a job just because I'm a man offends me as deeply as being kept out of a job just because I'm a Jew"

You agree with Hamilton.

I don't. It is more important for our Parliament to be representative, and that means an equal number of women (amongst other things). For me, that trumps Fabian Hamilton's "right" to be an MP.

Similarly, it is more important that the North of England is properly represented by Northerners than that Jonathan from the South of England can become an MP.
    Stay classy.
  • Options
    Floater said:

kle4 said:

ALL brexiteers?

Seems like a bit of a stretch
    The term 'Brexiteers' is not equivalent to 'all Brexiteers', though like all Brexiteers you seem to think it is.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,313

Jonathan said:

Not really in STV, unless a particular candidate has earned it
  • Options

kle4 said:

Especially when they just pick their pals and toadies, politics like democracy is a joke in the UK
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Not the Single Stochastic Vote...
  • Options
    Endillion said:

Penddu said:

1) Plenty of people I know who went to University somewhere feel and are much more connected to the place than those who were born and raised there; and
    2) It seems that often aren't enough suitable candidates to pick from even with carpetbaggers.
    1) That is a local connection. We're not saying you have to have a birth right to represent a constituency.

2) There are plenty of local people who could do the job well, but they don't apply because they think they are not worthy.
  • Options

AndyJS said:

Reading that it’s hard to see how he can be described as a leftie. Women need to stay at home to wipe their parents’ bottoms, young people should not movevfrom where they were born. It’s reactionary nonsense.

It's PB, Fraser is barely to the right of Hoxha through that red tinted lens.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Endillion said:

You agree with Hamilton.

Stay classy.
    I think you'd make a great MP.

I just don't think you should be an MP for e.g., Liverpool Wavertree.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

That's an interesting article.

I've said before that modern middle class life increasingly demands an exploited immigrant serf class for menial service sector activities together with an exploited foreign workforce for agricultural and manufactured produce.
  • Options

Endillion said:

You agree with Hamilton.

Your last point I agree with but putting unsuitable people in just to make up a quota for gender, race , religion etc is just plain stupid and discriminatory, worse than the current old boys network system
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Jonathan said:

Wasn't that Richard_Nabavi's proposal?
    Quite brilliant and fair, yet completely unacceptable.
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Things would need to be stirred up regularly.
    You just need to look at the absolute losers on list system in Scotland, to see how that does not work. The level of dross is unbelievable, they get stuffed in real vote and just slide in on list.
    PS: Murso Fraser is perfect example, rejected at the ballot box 7 times but permanent fixture at Holyrood.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited February 2019
    Jonathan said:

I like FPTP for nostalgic reasons but recognise it's a totally antiquated system and needs to be replaced by STV as soon as possible. (Election night wouldn't be as interesting without FPTP).
  • Options

Endillion said:

Penddu said:

1) That is a local connection. We're not saying you have to have a birth right to represent a constituency.

2) There are plenty of local people who could do the job well, but they don't apply because they think they are not worthy.
    1) I agree with you - @Penddu explicitly excluded university as a connection.

2) No idea, but unless they're actively not applying at all because they know they'll be overlooked due to flavour of the month being parachuted in from central office (which I agree with you is an issue), I don't see that as a problem.
  • Options
    Charles said:

IanB2 said:

MattW said:

DavidL said:

House prices seem pretty static other than in the frothy London end of the market which is dominated by foreign cash. This is a good thing as affordability is increasing, hence the growth of first time buyers.

Whilst I agree with you that @Cyclefree has overegged the rhetorical pudding a little in the lead, can you point me to this frothy London market? AFAICS it is experiencing a useful correction.

Is there another London I don't know about?

Most people I know in London are whinging their heads off about loss of perceived wealth.
    Yet that is a graph of changes, and the line only lately just dips slightly below the 0% level. Hardly a correction. Yet.
    In London super prime the market is down 20% since 2015 (10% since 2016 so the rate of decline is slowing). But transactions are few in number
    I'm sure that brings great sorrow to the average London voter.

:wink:

Outer London doesn't seem to be 'suffering' overall from falling house prices yet:

https://www.ons.gov.uk/economy/inflationandpriceindices/bulletins/housepriceindex/october2018#house-price-growth-varies-between-london-boroughs

For the likes of semis in Romford and Bromley prices might still be increasing.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,937
    edited February 2019

AndyJS said:

I've said before that modern middle class life increasingly demands an exploited immigrant serf class for menial service sector activities together with an exploited foreign workforce for agricultural and manufactured produce.

Why just middle class? Do working class daughters tend to stay at home to wipe their elderly fathers’ bottoms?

• Options
    Jonathan said:

Agree with this. A voting system like STV enables the voters to choose between multiple candidates from the same party, so that the voters can decide if they want to vote for the local candidate for party x, or the non-local candidate.

I'm tempted to suggest that you force parties to give voters a choice by mandating that they stand more candidates than seats available in the constituency.
  • Options
    AnGofAnGof Posts: 28
    DavidL said:

Glad to hear it but I would suggest it is closer than you think. Most of our politician's time is taken up with case work. If you are helping an asylum seeker from Syria who cares where you yourself come from? If you are trying to help someone whose homeless or living with damp, ditto. And for national politics (which, in my view, really should be an MP's focus) the local connection is not relevant at all. What do you think politicians gain from a local connection?

Starting from the supposition that an MP's job is to represent his constituents in parliament (stop laughing now) I would say that to know the problems in your constituency takes a certain amount of local knowledge. Yes they do case work but merely seeing the cases so desperate that they have turned to their mp doesn't in my mind give a good oversight of the local environment and the problems of its denizens.

Its part of a wider problem where are mp's generally don't have lifestyles like most of us and seem blind therefore to the deficiencies in life. How many of them get threatened with losing their job due to the inadequacies of public transport for example? How many have existed on that cusp between choosing food or heat before they decided green levies on power were a good idea? I am sure you catch my drift
  • Options

kle4 said:

‪One striking thing about the far right gatherings you see these days: those attending are generally middle aged or older. In the 70s and 80s the NF and BNP marches attracted much younger, mostly male, participants. Racism just seems unfathomable to most young people now. That’s progress!‬

I was not aware that was so in the 70s. It is something I guess. Although aren't the FN in France more supported by the young than the old? So I guess it is not a universal thing.

Yep, France seems much more racially polarised - perhaps because it is far less integrated. My memory of the NF and BNP marches of those 70s and 80s is that they were largely composed of skinheads. I guess those same people are now just fatter and following Tommy Robinson around.

When I was a lad in the 70s, Skinheads/Ska/Mod culture was a big thing and it tied into early football hooligan culture around these parts. As a 14 year old, I knew a couple of lads who had elder brothers and uncles heavily involved in The Baby Squad, Leicester City's own particular brand of knuckle dragger. They were skinny,nasty racist little bastards then, and the one I still bump into regularly has turned into a fat, nasty big racist bastard!
  • Options

You agree with Hamilton.

Berger was selected for Wavertree in 2010 despite the silly griping about whether or not she followed football etc. There were no moves to deselect her between 2010 and 2015.

I would add to your list of MP skills: hard working, thick skinned, and for a lot of the likely candidates, a willingness to take a substantial pay cut for a lot of thankless effort. Which I think reduces the number of available candidates substantially, especially given the abuse they now get from all sides every time they open (or don't open) their mouths on almost any topic.

I'm more inclined to Hamilton's view than yours, to be sure: I agree with the need for Parliament to be representative (as I would guess did he) - but that means removing barriers and encouraging equal participation, not arbitrary quotas.
  • Options

kle4 said:

‪One striking thing about the far right gatherings you see these days: those attending are generally middle aged or older. In the 70s and 80s the NF and BNP marches attracted much younger, mostly male, participants. Racism just seems unfathomable to most young people now. That’s progress!‬

I was not aware that was so in the 70s. It is something I guess. Although aren't the FN in France more supported by the young than the old? So I guess it is not a universal thing.

Yep, France seems much more racially polarised - perhaps because it is far less integrated. My memory of the NF and BNP marches of those 70s and 80s is that they were largely composed of skinheads. I guess those same people are now just fatter and following Tommy Robinson around.

When I was a lad in the 70s, Skinheads/Ska/Mod culture was a big thing and it tied into early football hooligan culture around these parts. As a 14 year old, I knew a couple of lads who had elder brothers and uncles heavily involved in The Baby Squad, Leicester City's own particular brand of knuckle dragger. They were skinny,nasty racist little bastards then, and the one I still bump into regularly has turned into a fat, nasty big racist bastard!

Ha, ha - sounds familiar!!

• Options

Jonathan said:

Agree with this. A voting system like STV enables the voters to choose between multiple candidates from the same party, so that the voters can decide if they want to vote for the local candidate for party x, or the non-local candidate.

I'm tempted to suggest that you force parties to give voters a choice by mandating that they stand more candidates than seats available in the constituency.
    That rather assumes they'll be given a local candidate from party x, instead of that party's list being filled with toadys and people from the other end of the country.

The problem is the power of the national party, and it is easy for them to skew proposed systems to their own advantage. A localism requirement, as I propose, would be very hard for them to overcome - and any candidate being parachuted in would have to make a long-term commitment with no immediate rewards.
  • Options

AndyJS said:

Its putting an opposite view to the globalist nonsense that young people should move around the world with the result they end up renting a room in Walthamstow, being exploited in a crap job and being tens of thousands in debt.

With all the profits going to the George Osbornes of the world.
  • Options

AndyJS said:

A century ago, about a third of working class women were in service.

In many ways we are returning to those days, though prefering casual rather than permanent employment for our serfs.
  • Options

AndyJS said:

Its putting an opposite view to the globalist nonsense that young people should move around the world with the result they end up renting a room in Walthamstow, being exploited in a crap job and being tens of thousands in debt.

Barefoot, pregnant and in the kitchen. A Brexiteers dream of Empire days...
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

AndyJS said:

The reward for leaving is more unpaid adult arsewiping opportunities?

I'm in.

Tangentially, a disabled friend of mine is constantly irritated by references to the need for bottom wipers, on the basis that if you can get the bottom to an appropriately modified toilet in time, automated bottom washing and drying is one of the most mature, satisfactory and elegant technologies out there, and has been for decades.
  • Options

AndyJS said:

It’s literally saying young people should stay where they’re born and women should not aspire to anything more than looking after their elderly parents. Obviously, this does not apply to Fraser or his family.

• Options
    edited February 2019
    Endillion said:

There were no moves to deselect her between 2010 and 2015.

I would add to your list of MP skills: hard working, thick skinned, and for a lot of the likely candidates, a willingness to take a substantial pay cut for a lot of thankless effort.

I think your final statement is quite telling and shows a lot of bias.

MPs are in the top 5 per cent of UK earners. You clearly think most "likely candidates" are in a still higher percentile, as they must be willing to take a "substantial" pay cut. Not just a pay cut, a "substantial" one!!!!!

I don't.

I think there are loads of people who could do the job well and for whom being an MP would be a substantial pay rise !!

Those are the people I want to see representing Liverpool Wavertree.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited February 2019
    geoffw said:

Foxy said:

Jonathan said:

Wasn't that Richard_Nabavi's proposal?
    Quite brilliant and fair, yet completely unacceptable.
    No, it wasn't my idea, unfortunately!
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

David Lammy correctly pointed out that over 45 per cent of Oxbridge intake comes form London & the South of England.

You’re changing the subject quite heavily there. If you want a conversation about Oxbridge now? Fine. Two seriously screwed up institutions that churn out some seriously screwed up individuals. There are bigger problems in Oxbridge than geography.
    The problem with Oxbridge isn't the people who went there, it's the people who nearly did.
  • Options

AndyJS said:

Why just middle class? Do working class daughters tend to stay at home to wipe their elderly fathers’ bottoms?

In my experience they do so rather more.

Probably through a combination of family ties being more important in working class communities, working class families being less geographically dispersed, working class people being more willing to do 'menial' jobs and working class oldies being likely to die a bit earlier.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

AndyJS said:

I am sure they would have shoes nowadays.
    PS: exceedingly sexist to assume it would be daughter's only
  • Options

AndyJS said:

It’s literally saying young people should stay where they’re born and women should not aspire to anything more than looking after their elderly parents. Obviously, this does not apply to Fraser or his family.

People should always aspire to something better.

But renting a room in Walthamstow, being exploited in a crap job and being tens of thousands in debt doesn't seem to be a successful way of putting those aspirations in practice.
  • Options
    Watson called on colleagues to “dial down the rhetoric”, adding: “I was born into the Labour party, but I think dying is a virtue that’s overrated.”

Asked whether he could join the defectors, he said: “I’ve been in the LP since I was 15 years old. You’d have to drive me out.”

They will, Tom, they will.
  • Options

AndyJS said:

In my experience they do so rather more.

Probably through a combination of family ties being more important in working class communities, working class families being less geographically dispersed, working class people being more willing to do 'menial' jobs and working class oldies being likely to die a bit earlier.

In my experience women are a lot more likely to work than they used to and elderly parents unable to look after themselves also need looking after during working hours, not just in the evenings and weekends. I am also not sure why Fraser believes the responsibility lies solely with daughters.

• Options
    malcolmg said:

Foxy said:

AndyJS said:

At least the shoes will be cheaper because of Brexit
  • Options
    A question: does Tom Watson's spell as Deputy Leader come up for re-election at a specific date?
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,899
    edited February 2019

Jonathan said:

Weirdly enough, I think the MP salary should have a maximum: the average London salary. People keep saying that low(??!) MP's salary reduce the quality of the MP, but what we get is trust fund managers who act in the interests of the fund not the country. At least if we lowered it to, say £35K we'd get more representative MPs.
  • Options
    One of the problems with local candidates for local people is that in constituencies of 80,000+ its a bit of an impossible thing to achieve. Some mythical inner city constituencies may be consistent to the extent than an individual can be truly representative of the whole, but generally places vary so much that you can never truly know or be representative of the whole. Indeed arguably local candidates may be at a disadvantage, because they will think and claim to know the place, when in truth they only know part of it and bias accordingly.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

AndyJS said:

As opposed to the Remainer dream of the 50s - the Deep South of the 1850s.

Third World people slaving away in the fields and sweat shops and casually employed 'trash' for the menial service work.

Our lifestyles depend upon a lot of exploitation, we just prefer not to see or think too much about it.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,899
    malcolmg said:

Foxy said:

AndyJS said:

It is exceedingly sexist to assume the daughters do the caring of elderly relatives. It is unfortunately also mostly true.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,293
    Good header. An equal opportunity dressing down for Lab and Con. Sense that Cyclefree might be joining the ranks of the non-voters next time.

'YBarddCwsc' (bit of a struggle with that) makes some great points IMO about how parliament is to its great detriment disproportionately stuffed with privately educated white males from affluent backgrounds in the South of England who have Oxbridge degrees in something that does not involve numbers.

Tom Watson even better than my man Michael Gove, I thought, on Marr. He appears to have gained gravitas in losing weight - a great swap.
This discussion has been closed.