Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Why the TIGers make the DUP less powerful and a 2019 general e

Comments

• Options

ITV reports the IS bride is to be stripped of her British nationality

Good!
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    And an EU border from Carlisle to Berwick on Tweed
    But no historical security issues to deal with, unless the Union Bears kick off.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,030
    kle4 said:

RobD said:

I would have thought that this polling makes it more likely for any Tory MPs on the brink to make the leap.

What makes you say that?
    Because it shows they are able to draw support from both main parties, and might be able to pick up more momentum if they get a critical mass of MPs.
    The big danger it becomes home to remainers and not a wider church
    Having parties split into outright leave and remain parties would seem to be a good idea right now. Certainly they operate like it.
    If Article 50 is extended and the Independent Group takes on Farage's new Brexit Party in the European Parliament elections that would be a clear People's Vote v Leave means Leave clash
  • Options

Good!
    Find it unbelievable all the people saying she should get a second chance. I'd rather a victim of ISIS be given a first chance than give a second chance to anyone who volunteered to fight for ISIS.
  • Options
    Rexel56 said:

@SeanT appeared in the “people you might know” listing on my Facebook feed a while back... he is a friend of a friend... curious, I looked and was delighted to find several images of Mrs T... my admiration and mild jealousy for the author/travel writer grew immensely that day... thankfully I have just checked and the said images have not been subject to the year zero purge of social media...

It surprises me not a whit that SeanT would have pin ups of Mrs Thatcher on his Facebook page.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,907

I would have thought that this polling makes it more likely for any Tory MPs on the brink to make the leap.

It cannot be easy to jump knowing your career is over at the next election unless of course the next election is years away and the new party can cut through. An early election would end their political careers
    That would be a good spread bet for the next election. How many of the [X] MPs currently sitting as independents in Parliament will be re-elected?

I think X is currently 17, including Lady Hermon and John Bercow.
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:
    Tories down to 2005 levels, Labour down to 1983 levels maybe the new Independent party could break the mould? UKIP and LDs also up on 2017
    No it won't. Alternative histories abound and this will be another. Here's one: Suppose on Planet Sanity remainers had voted in GE2017 in really large numbers for....er….the parties that explicitly supported remain (Lib Dem, SNP, PC) instead of voting for parties that explicitly and unequivocally didn't, with, in the case of Labour, its voters voting with exhilarated enthusiasm for a leader with a longer anti EU record than anyone in parliament apart from Dennis Skinner. Then we wouldn't be where we are... would we.

Then Remainers thought Corbyn would oppose Brexit
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,695
    FF43 said:

Project Crap, actually. Having got the Leave vote over the line by pretending there's no downside, he aims to get the deal over the line by claiming the alternative is Armageddon. Honesty isn't a Brexiteer trait.
    Also:

https://twitter.com/lisaocarroll/status/1097819350759817216?s=19
  • Options

Good!

It’s terrifying. The Home Secretary is claiming the power to decide whether you, me or anyone else with British citizenship can carry on holding it.

• Options
    RobD said:
    Probably in others but the new Independence group offers an option for centre left Remainers who cannot forgive the LDs for tuition fees or the Coalition years or those in areas where the LDs are weak
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578
    FF43 said:

Project Crap, actually. Having got the Leave vote over the line by pretending there's no downside, he aims to get the deal over the line by claiming the alternative is Armageddon. Honesty isn't a Brexiteer trait.
    I believe that farmers have to go through some form of approval process to export into the EU from outside and this takes several months so if there is no deal then it is correct to say that no UK farmer will be able to export into the EU until they have been approved. By which time many of them will have gone bankrupt (a large percentage of British lamb is exported to the EU, and no approvals will be received in time for this season's exports).
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,695

Good!

It’s terrifying. The Home Secretary is claiming the power to decide whether you, me or anyone else with British citizenship can carry on holding it.

It is legally possible to withdraw it, providing she has dual citizenship.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,556
    HYUFD said:

algarkirk said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:
    Tories down to 2005 levels, Labour down to 1983 levels maybe the new Independent party could break the mould? UKIP and LDs also up on 2017
    No it won't. Alternative histories abound and this will be another. Here's one: Suppose on Planet Sanity remainers had voted in GE2017 in really large numbers for....er….the parties that explicitly supported remain (Lib Dem, SNP, PC) instead of voting for parties that explicitly and unequivocally didn't, with, in the case of Labour, its voters voting with exhilarated enthusiasm for a leader with a longer anti EU record than anyone in parliament apart from Dennis Skinner. Then we wouldn't be where we are... would we.

Yes but that exciting thought was the precise opposite of a very detailed manifesto commitment. which is my point.

• Options

Good!

Some indication she may have had dual citizenship but I have not heard that confirmed
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,811
    edited February 2019

Good!
    That kind of depends. As horrible as she no doubt is, and as lame as some of the excuses about whether we let her back in have been, removing citizenship is a major thing to do and I would hope there are very careful procedures and scrutiny of how it is done - whether right in this case or not, I would be wary of the power being too easy to do. I don't recall previous examples, but as others have noted being a dual citizen probably makes it a lot easier, since they are not made stateless.
  • Options
    Back on the Tiggers, despite all the excitement I just don't see how they can build on things very much. Most of the MPs who have left are pretty clear how much they still oppose the conservatives, and while some Tory MPs who might jump do actually oppose the government on many issues and thus that might not be a barrier, that is not a very large group. Immediately you have to hate the Tories if you want most independent group MPs to be on board.

It seems like so long as it only is about Brexit a few might join, but as for a future? It was always hard, but is there any chance?
  • Options

Good!

This has always been possible for those with dual citizenship in extenuating circumstances.

But, there are laws and tight restrictions on rendering someone stateless.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,848
    Scott_P said:
    As officer trainees are (iirc) advised, 10% of your salary is for giving orders, 90% is for making sure they are carried out! You can't stand there and say "it isn't my fault". You're the leader. It's your fault if it rains!
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900

They've had the power since 1981. Labour used it also.
  • Options
    UK leaks things going ok, EU then leaks that that's bollocks. May and her government need to stop pulling that shit, it just doesn't work anymore.

And as for who to believe, just consider who has repeatedly claimed some helpful move might come from the EU which never appeared?
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,986

FF43 said:

I believe that farmers have to go through some form of approval process to export into the EU from outside and this takes several months so if there is no deal then it is correct to say that no UK farmer will be able to export into the EU until they have been approved. By which time many of them will have gone bankrupt (a large percentage of British lamb is exported to the EU, and no approvals will be received in time for this season's exports).
    Which would suggest that these party splits are merely moving the deckchairs into other rooms.
  • Options
    _Anazina__Anazina_ Posts: 1,810
    I see that Sean has cleaned up his act. If we are remembering the old Sean, my favourite insult from him was really quite basic - being referred to as Knobajob.

This worked on three levels. It was a pun. It was ridiculously childish. And it was funny.

Bravo!
  • Options
    Andrew said:

They've had the power since 1981. Labour used it also.
    So 'claiming' the power is not really an issue, since they have it and have for ages, it's just a matter of whether it should have been done here and how it is decided.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,907
    edited February 2019
    kle4 said:

Good!
    That kind of depends. As horrible as she no doubt is, and as lame as some of the excuses about whether we let her back in have been, removing citizenship is a major thing to do and I would hope there are very careful procedures and scrutiny of how it is done - whether right in this case or not, I would be wary of the power being too easy to do. I don't recall previous examples, but as others have noted being a dual citizen probably makes it a lot easier, since they are not made stateless.
    Yes, there's a risk of an apparently straightfoward case setting a dangerous precedent. There should IMHO be a judicial process for removing citizenship rather than it being on the whim of a politician. There's plenty of examples of laws sold as applying to terrorists, murderers and peadophiles ending up with somewhat more widespread application a few years down the line. It's definitely not allowed to make someone stateless, so she must be a citizen of somewhere else if it's been considered.
  • Options
    RobD said:

What makes you say that?
    He starts from a europhile conclusion and works back to make the latest facts and developments fit it. In this case, the TIGers growing to supplant the DUP and pulling the Conservative Government in an inevitably Remain direction. Perhaps he’s fantasising about them restarting the campaign to join the euro, and winning the argument for that in Parliament too.

He always does that. That’s how his mind works.
  • Options
    So I see the Malthouse Compromise is dead according to reports? Incredible it ever passed muster to begin with. And that the ERG are already ready to reject its replacement. Ah, Brexit in circles. Thank goodness the Tiggers have provided something else to talk about.
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578
    kle4 said:

UK leaks things going ok, EU then leaks that that's bollocks. May and her government need to stop pulling that shit, it just doesn't work anymore.

And as for who to believe, just consider who has repeatedly claimed some helpful move might come from the EU which never appeared?
    Nothing has changed
  • Options
    RobD said:

What makes you say that?
    He starts from a europhile conclusion and works back to make the latest facts and developments fit it. In this case, the TIGers growing to supplant the DUP and pulling the Conservative Government in an inevitably Remain direction. Perhaps he’s fantasising about them restarting the campaign to join the euro, and winning the argument for that in Parliament too.

He always does that. That’s how his mind works.
  • Options

Rexel56 said:

@SeanT appeared in the “people you might know” listing on my Facebook feed a while back... he is a friend of a friend... curious, I looked and was delighted to find several images of Mrs T... my admiration and mild jealousy for the author/travel writer grew immensely that day... thankfully I have just checked and the said images have not been subject to the year zero purge of social media...

It surprises me not a whit that SeanT would have pin ups of Mrs Thatcher on his Facebook page.
    I guess you must have a fair few of wee Nicola?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,662
    Scott_P said:
    Pretty embarrassing for the Tories that they welcomed Grayling as a defector, though.

And promoted him.

• Options

RobD said:

What makes you say that?
    Because it shows they are able to draw support from both main parties, and might be able to pick up more momentum if they get a critical mass of MPs.
    That's not necessarily a danger...
  • Options

Corbyn 26%, Sane Centre-Left 28% (TIG+LD+SNP+PC+Green).

That'll do very nicely for starters. Apart from the slight fly in the ointment as to how that works under FPTP (i.e. it doesn't).

I wouldn’t call PC + Green sane centre-left and the SNP only are to the extent they run a devolved administration. If their dream of an independent Scotland ever came about it’d blow up their economy.

TIG+LD is fair enough.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Scott_P said:
    The first sign that TIG can potentially take support from BOTH major parties and not demolish the LibDems entirely.
    The Tiggers hit double figures on Day Two. En marche! (Bounce!)
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

algarkirk said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

Then, they were naive.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    DavidL said:

Scott_P said:
    That is profoundly humiliating for the Lib Dems. No idea what the Tiggers, actually want, 90%+ would struggle to name more than 1 of them, no party, no organisation, no candidates, but hey, got to be better than those Liberal Democrats, eh?
    No baggage.....
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870

That'll do very nicely for starters. Apart from the slight fly in the ointment as to how that works under FPTP (i.e. it doesn't).

I wouldn’t call PC + Green sane centre-left and the SNP only are to the extent they run a devolved administration. If their dream of an independent Scotland ever came about it’d blow up their economy.

TIG+LD is fair enough.
    Sane is relative. The Greens have their eccentricities but I'd rather be in a party with Caroline Lucas than with JRM, Andrew Bridgen and Chris Grayling, let alone Corbyn, Burgon and Gardiner.
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092

How are greens "Sane Centre-Left"? They're far more radical than Corbyn's Labour.

I'd put it on:

Far Left (Green, Labour): 30%
    Centre-Left (SNP, PC): 5%
    Centre: (TIG, LD): 19%
    Centre-Right (Conservative): 32%
    Far Right (UKIP): 6%
  • Options
    Chris said:

Scott_P said:
    Does anyone know how Others can be at 7% when UKIP, Green and the Nationalists are already included separately?
    Did not respond, don't know, mentioned a fictional party, mentioned a non-major party? Iirc there were over 20 parties putting forward candidates in 2017.
  • Options

SeanT said:
    That said, you will never be forgotten as the originator of the expression "wetter than an otter's pocket....."
    That’s one that he certainly cannot claim
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,973
    _Anazina_ said:

I see that Sean has cleaned up his act. If we are remembering the old Sean, my favourite insult from him was really quite basic - being referred to as Knobajob.

This worked on three levels. It was a pun. It was ridiculously childish. And it was funny.

Bravo!

The man of a thousand logins!
  • Options
    viewcode said:

RobD said:

What makes you say that?
    That's not necessarily a danger...
    They have the Lib Dems for that
  • Options
    rpjs said:

TOPPING said:

murali_s said:

Tell me again - how did this plonker vote in the Referendum?
    Michael Gove. So dazzlingly clever he couldn’t even workshop post Leave vote scenarios. Of which our current one was always most likely.

Same with our other PB Leavers.
    I have a feeling in my water that Gove will recant of his errors and back Remain/revoke sometime soon, and before the end of March.
    If I wanted to know what your water feels like, I'd read one of SeanT's old tweets, particularly the one about the bridal shower and the Thai...oh. it seems to have gone... :)
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Chris said:

Scott_P said:
    Does anyone know how Others can be at 7% when UKIP, Green and the Nationalists are already included separately?
    Did not respond, don't know, mentioned a fictional party, mentioned a non-major party? Iirc there were over 20 parties putting forward candidates in 2017.
    If did not respond and don’t know were included the shares would surely be much lower?
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Chris said:

Scott_P said:
    40ish, if you include a few 'X independents'. Certainly over 30.

Fun fact, the SDP stood in 6 seats but got only 469 , and whoever stood for the Ashfield Independents got more votes on his own than 10 BNP candidates put together. I love elections.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549

DavidL said:

Scott_P said:
    That is profoundly humiliating for the Lib Dems. No idea what the Tiggers, actually want, 90%+ would struggle to name more than 1 of them, no party, no organisation, no candidates, but hey, got to be better than those Liberal Democrats, eh?
    No baggage.....
    People are projecting their own views of what a modern centre-ground party should be like, and an awful lot of people think that their own barmy views are secretly mainstream. "At last a party that will ban cycling!"

I'd wait for some actual policies before promising them a vote, not that I expect them to offer me anything I could support.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,080
    I have the inverse question to SeanT's: is there a way to export all your posts from Vanilla?
  • Options
    edited February 2019

I have the inverse question to SeanT's: is there a way to export all your posts from Vanilla?

You could probably write a script to do it
  • Options

Good!
    Bad. She should have been apprehended, tried, convicted, and imprisoned. Denationalisation is lazy and the threat is still at large.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited February 2019
    kle4 said:

Good!
    I don't think it depends. She chose to fight against her own country and has no regrets about it. This is what she deserves.
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    AndyJS said:

kle4 said:

Good!
    I don't think it depends. She chose to fight against her own country and has no regrets about it.
    The 'depends' was on the process being suitable or not, not the decision itself. You'd surely not want it to be simple or easy, so that people far less worthy might fall afoul of such powers? It's the same reason we insist in such a high barrier to conviction of even awful people, since find a bad person guilty on poor evidence and you can find a good person guilty on poor evidence. This decision is probably right, I just hope it is something that cannot be done on a whim.
  • Options
    Have of the Corbynistas on Twitter called TIG "The Israeli Group" yet? :lol:
  • Options
    RobD said:

viewcode said:

Chris said:

Scott_P said:
    If did not respond and don’t know were included the shares would surely be much lower?
    Fair point. I was speculating, or "bullshitting" as it is commonly known.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Good!
    Bad. She should have been apprehended, tried, convicted, and imprisoned. Denationalisation is lazy and the threat is still at large.
    Agreed. It should be extremely difficult to revoke someone’s citizenship without their consent.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,080
    RobD said:

Agreed. It should be extremely difficult to revoke someone’s citizenship without their consent.

Does that include revoking people's EU citizenship without their consent?
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Whilst all this TIG stuff happens, the clock runs down a little further.
  • Options

Have of the Corbynistas on Twitter called TIG "The Israeli Group" yet? :lol:

Yes
    https://twitter.com/slurridge/status/1097650861122224128
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    And an EU border from Carlisle to Berwick on Tweed
    But no historical security issues to deal with, unless the Union Bears kick off.
    If Scotland is in EU and England is not it may solve a large number of issues for businesses like mine. In fact I may become very rich overnight. As a remainer and unionist I am suddenly seeing the benefit of a hard Brexit and Scottish independence. Lol.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Gove being entirely sensible - why would we have asymmetric tariffs on food coming in ?

• Options
    Big G

Erm, Remainers are already a bloody broad church!
  • Options
    edited February 2019

RobD said:

You cannot help yourself, can you? Surely European Union citizenship is a consequence of someone's national citizenship, it is not something separate to the national citizenship (by which I mean its a benefit afforded to club members, and yes you lose it when leaving the club, but it was never something which overided the nationality)?
  • Options

RobD said:

I was given EU citizenship without my consent in 1993, as were other EU citizens given the same rights here. I never wanted it and never asked for it, so cry me a river.

Besides which we voted to Leave and end it in 2016 which rather negates your point.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,323
    edited February 2019
    _Anazina_ said:

Big G

Indeed but it does not help to attract those who want to leave
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,986
    Meanwhile, May is currently telling the ERG the bleeding obvious, apparently.
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/feb/19/brexit-backstop-may-rules-out-malthouse-compromise
    Bridgen on C4 news didn't take it well.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited February 2019
    viewcode said:

Scott_P said:
    As officer trainees are (iirc) advised, 10% of your salary is for giving orders, 90% is for making sure they are carried out! You can't stand there and say "it isn't my fault". You're the leader. It's your fault if it rains!
    But it is going perfectly for jezza, the non-believers are leaving before they have to be purged. And despite a 1/3 of people thinking he is an antisemite and 50% a threat to national security, he is still getting 35-40% in the polls.

Any sign of any new lesser spotted tiggers in the wild?
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901

RobD said:

I was given EU citizenship without my consent in 1993, as were other EU citizens given the same rights here. I never wanted it and never asked for it, so cry me a river.

Besides which we voted to Leave and end it in 2016 which rather negates your point.
    What cost is it to you for those that want it to retain personal EU citizenship?
  • Options

RobD said:

No, you and barely 35% of the population voted for it. Why do you advocate stripping it from those of us who want European citizenship? If you don’t want it, fine. But live and let live.
  • Options

RobD said:

Yes it would, when the EU becomes a country. Right now EU citizenship is a glorified way of packaging freedom of movement.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Meanwhile, May is currently telling the ERG the bleeding obvious, apparently.
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/feb/19/brexit-backstop-may-rules-out-malthouse-compromise
    Bridgen on C4 news didn't take it well.

Time to stand upto the ERG no matter the consequences
  • Options

_Anazina_ said:

Big G

They are a dwindling band. Capture Remainers and go for Leave wobblers like SeanT and kle4 later would be my strategy.
  • Options
    DeClareDeClare Posts: 483
    kle4 said:

AndyJS said:

kle4 said:

Good!
    I don't think it depends. She chose to fight against her own country and has no regrets about it.
    The 'depends' was on the process being suitable or not, not the decision itself. You'd surely not want it to be simple or easy, so that people far less worthy might fall afoul of such powers? It's the same reason we insist in such a high barrier to conviction of even awful people, since find a bad person guilty on poor evidence and you can find a good person guilty on poor evidence. This decision is probably right, I just hope it is something that cannot be done on a whim.
    Anyone know what would have happened to a woman who ran away to Germany in 1938 because she admired Hitler.
    Married an SS man who was employed at say Treblinka came back to Britain with a baby after her husband had been captured in 1945.
    Said in an interview that she still thought that the Nazis were right and that their victims deserved it?
    (I know that any Briton who actually took part in the Holocaust would have probably been hanged but what about the wives of such people?)
  • Options
    _Anazina_ said:

_Anazina_ said:

Big G

They are a dwindling band. Capture Remainers and go for Leave wobblers like SeanT and kle4 later would be my strategy.
    For TIG to succeed they have to see beyond brexit and appeal across the centre
  • Options

_Anazina_ said:

_Anazina_ said:

Big G

And ditch all the left wing nonsense.
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    Breaking...

Shamima Begum, who joined the Islamic State group in Syria aged 15, is to lose her UK citizenship.

ITV News said Ms Begum's mother had received a letter from the Home Office on Tuesday. The letter said Home Secretary Sajid Javid had ordered the move and it had already been processed.
  • Options

Breaking...

Shamima Begum, who joined the Islamic State group in Syria aged 15, is to lose her UK citizenship

PB: miles ahead, as usual.
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

Yes it would, when the EU becomes a country. Right now EU citizenship is a glorified way of packaging freedom of movement.
    I want to retain my freedom of movement. Why do you seek to stop it, restrict my rights? You don’t even live in the UK, I recall, but the US.
  • Options

viewcode said:

Scott_P said:
    ...he is still getting 35-40% in the polls...
    I don't know how to tell you this, but there have been some developments... :)

• Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976
    We do at least now have a definitive answer to the question, "what part of "eff off and join the Tories" don't you understand?"

Turns out it was "and join the Tories".
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    What someone deserves and what the law says might be two different things .

Javid playing to the public gallery outside of the law would be unacceptable . Personally I could care less whether Begum rots in the camp however I don’t want Home Secretary’s setting a precedent which could be used against innocent citizens in the future for dubious reasons.
  • Options
    ralphmalphralphmalph Posts: 2,201
    Telegraph report says that she has Bangladeshi citizenship as well.
    How are the free healthcare and child education services in Bangladesh?
  • Options
    DeClare said:

kle4 said:

AndyJS said:

kle4 said:

Good!
    Anyone know what would have happened to a woman who ran away to Germany in 1938 because she admired Hitler.
    Married an SS man who was employed at say Treblinka came back to Britain with a baby after her husband had been captured in 1945.
    Said in an interview that she still thought that the Nazis were right and that their victims deserved it?
    (I know that any Briton who actually took part in the Holocaust would have probably been hanged but what about the wives of such people?)
    Well quite. She is a British citizen so should be tried (and punished, if convicted) here - the rest is utter reactionary tabloid crap. I’m saddened that so many on PB seem to think it right.
  • Options
    _Anazina_ said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

I want to retain my freedom of movement. Why do you seek to stop it, restrict my rights? You don’t even live in the UK, I recall, but the US.
    You could claim ROI citizenship I suppose. Do you like potatoes, being touched up by priests, 1970s style porter and crap weather ?
  • Options
    _Anazina_ said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

There was a vote about that a few years ago, or have you forgotten?
  • Options

Breaking...

Shamima Begum, who joined the Islamic State group in Syria aged 15, is to lose her UK citizenship.

ITV News said Ms Begum's mother had received a letter from the Home Office on Tuesday. The letter said Home Secretary Sajid Javid had ordered the move and it had already been processed.

That is a shocking precedent. Javid has plummeted in my estimations. He is supposed to be running a fucking civilised country not a gammon tabloid circle jerk.
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    nico67 said:

Javid playing to the public gallery outside of the law would be unacceptable . Personally I could care less whether Begum rots in the camp however I don’t want Home Secretary’s setting a precedent which could be used against innocent citizens in the future for dubious reasons.

My understanding is this is far from the first time it had been done in the past few years...it has just been all done a lot more quietly. This has been one of the British approaches, compared to the French who just sent in special forces to kill as many off a hit list as possible before they even got a chance to think about trying to come back.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

_Anazina_ said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

You could claim ROI citizenship I suppose. Do you like potatoes, being touched up by priests, 1970s style porter and crap weather ?
    A bit racist.

Dear me.
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382
    Jonathan said:

Whilst all this TIG stuff happens, the clock runs down a little further.

True and Farage new brexit party has 100000 members awaiting the outcome.
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092

_Anazina_ said:

_Anazina_ said:

Big G

Peeling away Remainers who feel lost is the only trick they've got. You think they're going to win any votes in an election by spouting platitudes about how they want to encourage the next generation of entrepreneurs or how what the NHS needs right now is a really good app?
  • Options
    RobD said:

_Anazina_ said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

There was a vote about that a few years ago, or have you forgotten?

Have you answered my question?
  • Options
    DeClare said:

kle4 said:

AndyJS said:

kle4 said:

Good!
    You might like to Google "Unity Mitford". Oh those bright young things and their jolly japes... :(
  • Options
    _Anazina_ said:

Breaking...

That is a shocking precedent. Javid has plummeted in my estimations. He is supposed to be running a fucking civilised country not a gammon tabloid circle jerk.
    I think you will find it isn’t precedent. It has been done a load of times already.
  • Options
    nico67 said:

Exactly right.
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    edited February 2019
    _Anazina_ said:

DeClare said:

kle4 said:

AndyJS said:

kle4 said:

Good!
    Well quite. She is a British citizen so should be tried (and punished, if convicted) here - the rest is utter reactionary tabloid crap. I’m saddened that so many on PB seem to think it right.
    Not just PB,the majority in the country if you go by comments and probably polls.
  • Options

_Anazina_ said:

_Anazina_ said:

Big G

En marche!
  • Options
    I seemed to remember the two remaining “Beatles” also had their citizenship revoked.
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382
    TGOHF said:

_Anazina_ said:

_Anazina_ said:

Big G

They won their seats in 2017 on that manifesto.
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976
    _Anazina_ said:

Breaking...

Well, it's not a precedent. Last line of the BBC article says we've done this about a hundred times already. Based on your comment, I'm assuming you are against removing her UK nationality regardless of whether she retains another one?
  • Options
    Yorkcity said:

TGOHF said:

_Anazina_ said:

_Anazina_ said:

Big G

They won their seats in 2017 on that manifesto.
    But not enough other seats.
This discussion has been closed.