Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » This could be right – Corbyn blocking moves for a second refer

Comments

• EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,960

Remind me what Tiggers stands for?

The Independent Group. Ers.

Wait, where's the second G coming from?
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,408
    Endillion said:

Well, pronouncing it 'Tye Jers' just seems wrong, so the extra G is added to match the easier pronunciation.
    Any MPs being oddly silent today? If someone contemplated it but decided to stay put what pushes them over the edge now?
    kle4 said:

Endillion said:

Well, pronouncing it 'Tye Jers' just seems wrong, so the extra G is added to match the easier pronunciation.
    And what on earth was wrong with "tigers??"
  • kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,911

Glad to see the back of the likes of Gapes, Leslie and Smith.

Good to see Angela doing well as a spokesperson for them on their opening day as well, would have been a toss up between her and Gapes for me but I think she gave a pretty fair representation of the party.

TBH I think you would be glad to see the back of about 80% of the current PLP.
    A kinder, gentler politics.
    edited February 2019
    Endillion said:

kle4 said:

Endillion said:

That's an easy one - they haven't earned such a cool nickname yet. The Winner the Pooh reference will be more appropriate until they hit true success.
  • tlg86 said:

Irrespective of the fact that the seven MPs don't have to hold by elections, do we think that they should anyway? I'd have thought that Chuka would have a decent chance of winning his seat at the very least, and it would give them more air time on the TV.

The problem is if one of them has one, that puts pressures on the others to have one too, and that in turn raises the level of courage they'd need if they want to attract more defectors.
  • dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,279
    Corbyn appears to have a very relaxed view of leadership. On the day when 7 of his MPs leave, he doesn't address the PLP to remove doubts about his ability. No reassurance in person, just sends out an understudy.

https://twitter.com/DPJHodges/status/1097576868797136896
  • SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095

https://twitter.com/Ominous23/status/1097540203529584640

Only a matter of time surely, now the group has become institutionally racist not many supporters will want to be tarnished with the same brush.

What utter bollocks.
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited February 2019
    dr_spyn said:

Corbyn appears to have a very relaxed view of leadership. On the day when 7 of his MPs leave, he doesn't address the PLP to remove doubts about his ability. No reassurance in person, just sends out an understudy.

twitter.com/DPJHodges/status/1097576868797136896

Monthly meeting of the manhole cover association more important? Jezza is as lazy as trump. They love the campaigning, but not the responsibilities of office.
  • GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,697
    dr_spyn said:

He's probably got jam making to do...
  • Andrew said:

Dunno if anyone posted already:
    https://twitter.com/BuzzFeedUK/status/1097565159168499712

Not sure if that points towards a total damp squib, or merely a lot more potentials to jump ship in the coming weeks (and a steady drip might be quite dangerous).

If they were smart they would have kept 2 or 3 people back so that they can announce in the coming days and keep the news cycle well fed.

dr_spyn said:

Monthly meeting of the manhole cover association more important? Jezza is as lazy as trump.
    not lazy, just doesn't care.
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,614
    tlg86 said:

Irrespective of the fact that the seven MPs don't have to hold by elections, do we think that they should anyway? I'd have thought that Chuka would have a decent chance of winning his seat at the very least, and it would give them more air time on the TV.

https://twitter.com/DouglasCarswell/status/1097424661045018625
  • OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,911
    edited February 2019

https://twitter.com/Ominous23/status/1097540203529584640

Only a matter of time surely, now the group has become institutionally racist not many supporters will want to be tarnished with the same brush.

All people like your good self will do is push more and more people out of the party. Instead of being a smart arse you would do better to heed Watson's words and consider addressing the anti-semitism and Brexit duplicity that is turning people away from the party.
    dr_spyn said:

Corbyn appears to have a very relaxed view of leadership.

He focuses his words and actions on the membership, not the MPs. It is they who made him, and those he needs to see him as a leader. The MPs he seems to have abandoned as a lost cause. They broadly do what he wants anyway.

Not a sensible strategy perhaps, he does need his MPs after all, but that seems to be the way he sees it generally.
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited February 2019

dr_spyn said:

Monthly meeting of the manhole cover association more important? Jezza is as lazy as trump.
    I honestly can’t see how as PM he will keep up with his daily red box. Brown couldn’t do it (and for all his faults he cared and is a lot more intelligent than jezza) and it was apparently chaos with massive backlogs of unsigned stuff. In comparison, Blair and Cameron were extremely efficient.
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 38,853

Meanwhile LAB continues to be led by an anti-semite

Wonder if when he becomes PM he will create a Hostile Environment for Jews and deport a bunch of them for not having their papers in order?

I do hope not.
  • dr_spyn said:

He does care.

Its just he is self-aware to know if he came out and said "good riddance, got rid of you without needing a brutal deselection, now piss off and take some more Tory Scum with you so we can continue to remake our real Labour Party" that it might not go down too well.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,789
    Sandpit said:

tlg86 said:

Did you know Douglas Carswell wrote a book advocating giving citizens the ability to trigger a referendum to veto legislation? He seems to have forgotten his principles now.
  • dr_spyn said:

I honestly can’t see how as PM he will keep up with his daily red box. Brown couldn’t do it (and for all his faults he cared and is a lot more intelligent than jezza) and it was apparently chaos with massive backlogs of unsigned stuff. In comparison, Blair and Cameron were extremely efficient.
    That surprises me about Brown. If anything I thought he’d be more likely to managerial and work his way through papers.
  • dr_spyn said:

That surprises me about Brown. If anything I thought he’d be more likely to managerial and work his way through papers.
    I imagine that's the problem. He probably struggled to get to the end of his papers, while Blair and Cameron likely signed the dotted lines without reading it all.
    On topic, if a crunch point has been identified for Feb 27th for a number of others, that's probably a sign there won't be any further defections dripping out.
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,094
    kle4 said:

Any MPs being oddly silent today? If someone contemplated it but decided to stay put what pushes them over the edge now?

4% Liz

dr_spyn said:

he was far to busy plotting to make sure any potential leadership contenders left the party/were marginalised. Dreadful man, appalling PM.
  • dr_spyn said:

Wouldn't know when to not get involved. Micro-manager
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,544
    malcolmg said:

On the other big news of the day, what can the government do to help the people at Honda and Swindon in general wrt the medium- and long-term future?

In general Swindon will be fine. It has a good mix of office Jobs, Nationwide, Intel, etc and manufacturing BMW Pressing plant, Raychem, etc. It also has good transport links. Currently unemployment is half the national average.
    Thanks. Am I misremembering, or did IBM have a massive office complex to the south of the city? If so, is that still there?
    You are misremembering , Basingstoke and North Harbour were the main sites along with Hursley Lab
    All 3 Basingstoke offices are gone as has most of North Harbour, just a Datacentre left I think , Havant manufacturing plant went a long time ago.
    Only Hursley left and that because IBM Corp own it..
    Ah, thanks to you and everyone else who replied.

Looking at a map, I'm pretty sure I'm thinking about Intel's campus. It's an easy mistake to make: both begin with an 'I'.

Ahem. ;)

GIN1138 said:

Any more Labrexit news?

Oh and have any of these "departing" Labour MPs granted their constituents a "People's Vote" in the form of a by election? :D

Why should they? They were elected as individuals.
    Maybe because they were elected on a labour manifesto.

A jeremy Corbyn labour manifesto.
    And how many times was said Jeremy elected on a New Labour manifesto?
  • dr_spyn said:

I think the problem with brown was he spent all that time in one department, where it is really about doing all the planning / research for two events per year. All of a sudden it is 24/7, day in day out, pressure to make decisions while keeping up with all the reading about a masssive range of topics (and of course he had the financial crisis going on).

And if I remember correctly, he would often say he couldn’t make a decision yet, more information required and of course that just delayed things and it built up and built up. By the end it was chaos, there was a famous photo of piles of stuff that had got behind on.
  • Twitter journos claiming Derek Hatton has been readmitted to the Labour Party. Naturally.

Sandpit said:

tlg86 said:

Did you know Douglas Carswell wrote a book advocating giving citizens the ability to trigger a referendum to veto legislation? He seems to have forgotten his principles now.
    I may even have a copy of it on my shelf, “The Plan”, written with Dan Hannan MEP and full of ideas about redefining democracy to push decisions further down towards the people.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Plan-Twelve-months-renew-Britain/dp/0955979900/

Very good read, but in what way has he forgotten his principles?
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

tlg86 said:

I may even have a copy of it on my shelf, “The Plan”, written with Dan Hannan MEP and full of ideas about redefining democracy to push decisions further down towards the people.

He now objects to a second referendum on Brexit, when if we implemented his ideas on citizens' referendums, we would certainly be having one on the result of the Brexit negotiations.
  • Twitter journos claiming Derek Hatton has been readmitted to the Labour Party. Naturally.

Labour being the party of hard left property developers...
  • MattWMattW Posts: 18,098
    edited February 2019
  • _Anazina__Anazina_ Posts: 1,810
    kle4 said:

Endillion said:

Indeed. As in kipper.

Otherwise they’d be the Tigers! Roar!!
  • ChrisChris Posts: 11,010
    Why do people think she said "funny tinge"? It sounds much more like "funny tint" to me, and that makes a lot more sense.
    kle4 said:

Endillion said:

kle4 said:

Endillion said:

Well, pronouncing it 'Tye Jers' just seems wrong, so the extra G is added to match the easier pronunciatiorn.
    That's an easy one - they haven't earned such a cool nickname yet. The Winner the Pooh reference will be more appropriate until they hit true success.
    Yes it is possible that one day they will grow up to be Tigers 🐅
  • El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870

Sad to see 4 members of my party resigning today.

I get they wanted to bin off Labour. But what has the Co-op Party done?

If it were possible to join the Co-operative Party and vote for Co-operative MPs without supporting Labour, I'd be on it like a flash.

Meanwhile, the Telegraph story about possible Conservative defectors to the TIGgers is interesting, coupled with the observation that Anna Soubry has dropped "lifelong one-nation Tory" from her Twitter bio...
  • TheJezziahTheJezziah Posts: 3,840

Glad to see the back of the likes of Gapes, Leslie and Smith.

Good to see Angela doing well as a spokesperson for them on their opening day as well, would have been a toss up between her and Gapes for me but I think she gave a pretty fair representation of the party.

TBH I think you would be glad to see the back of about 80% of the current PLP.
    Probably closer to 80% of those I would be happy to see leave have left than wanting 80% of the current PLP gone.

Labour being the party of hard left property developers...
    Time for a repeat of Alan Bleasdale's GBH.
    Chris said:

Why do people think she said "funny tinge"? It sounds much more like "funny tint" to me, and that makes a lot more sense.

Apparently she was responding to Ash Sarkar calling her family "pinkish" and obviously her brain froze.

https://twitter.com/andrewspoooner/status/1097548755245678592
  • Scott_P said:
    For a fair comparison, how many resignations has she faced by people opposed to the deal/backstop?

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

tlg86 said:

He now objects to a second referendum on Brexit, when if we implemented his ideas on citizens' referendums, we would certainly be having one on the result of the Brexit negotiations.
    Maybe he just hasn't forgotten about how we already had one?

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

tlg86 said:

He has no objection at all to referendums on anything, but simply believes that the government need to implement the result of the first one before the same question is asked again.

I’m sure if you offered a referendum on ratifying the deal (yes/no) or a referendum on the deal v no-deal he’d be fine with it.

If it were possible to join the Co-operative Party and vote for Co-operative MPs without supporting Labour, I'd be on it like a flash.

Meanwhile, the Telegraph story about possible Conservative defectors to the TIGgers is interesting, coupled with the observation that Anna Soubry has dropped "lifelong one-nation Tory" from her Twitter bio...
    I think a headline Tory Tigger defection is an important next step. Heidi Allen and Anna Soubry in one move could work well. And both MPs would have a decent chance of holding their seats in a future GE I think.
  • ChrisChris Posts: 11,010

Chris said:

Apparently she was responding to Ash Sarkar calling her family "pinkish" and obviously her brain froze.

https://twitter.com/andrewspoooner/status/1097548755245678592
    Thanks. That presumably explains what would otherwise have been a very strange thing to say.
  • glwglw Posts: 9,535

On the other big news of the day, what can the government do to help the people at Honda and Swindon in general wrt the medium- and long-term future?

Quiet probably nothing at all. The car industry is going to change radically as automation and electric vehicles transform the industry. I expect that we will see major companies go to the wall, much consolidation, and new entrants eating up market share. It's going to be a bit like what the microprocessor did to the computer industry, a lot of very large mainframe companies disappeared when they couldn't survive the transition.
  • justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    _Anazina_ said:

I think a headline Tory Tigger defection is an important next step. Heidi Allen and Anna Soubry in one move could work well. And both MPs would have a decent chance of holding their seats in a future GE I think.
    Heidi Allen might have some chance - but cannot see Anna Soubry holding Broxtowe as a non-Tory.
    edited February 2019
    Endillion said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

tlg86 said:

That's irrelevant. He argued that citizens should be able to trigger a veto referendum.
  • TheJezziahTheJezziah Posts: 3,840
    https://twitter.com/DawnHFoster/status/1097559294390820865

BAME people and women don't really matter in terms of winning votes do they?
  • Just saw the Layla Moran PPB on C4. She's certainly not backwards at coming forwards.
    Scott_P said:
    In my head all political figures are in their late 40s and 50s, so I am in fact surprised to learn Hatton is only 71 despite having been prominent back in the 80s.
  • RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    Anyone got the 28/1 on United to beat Chelsea 3-1?.

Started well....

Endillion said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

tlg86 said:

That's irrelevant. He argued that citizens should be able to trigger a veto referendum.
    I haven't read the work in question, but I'm guessing that he was arguing that the public should be able to trigger referenda to veto general legislation proposed by the government of the day , and didn't account for the prospect of legislation proposed specifically to enact the will of the people as expressed through a prior referendum. Am I wrong?
    justin124 said:

_Anazina_ said:

Heidi Allen might have some chance - but cannot see Anna Soubry holding Broxtowe as a non-Tory.
    It’s a fairly liberal seat with pockets of wealth in the west Nottingham suburbs, around Nottingham University. Fairly decent Tigger territory perhaps?
    _Anazina_ said:

justin124 said:

_Anazina_ said:

It’s a fairly liberal seat with pockets of wealth in the west Nottingham suburbs, around Nottingham University. Fairly decent Tigger territory perhaps?
    Doubtless she would take a chunk of the Tory vote with her - but probably hand the seat back to Labour.

What’s this in reference to? I miss your point. Chuka and Luciana are both from ethnic minorities.
    _Anazina_ said:

What’s this in reference to? I miss your point. Chuka and Luciana are both from ethnic minorities.
    The 'funny tinge' comment from Smith

Actually things like that are highly significant
    Has anyone got a link to the Torygraph’s defection story? I can’t find it online
  • Great timing.

The Jezza Cult is just trolling us all now isn't it?

https://twitter.com/DPJHodges/status/1097586225991639040
    Just found this on Guardian website

'The Telegraph goes yet further with a story published in the past few moments (premium) claiming a Conservative government minister is among those willing to join the new Independent Group if Theresa May pursues a no-deal Brexit.

A Tory minister and four Conservative backbenchers appear poised to defect to the new Independent Group set up by disgruntled Labour MPs, it has been claimed.

Describing the breakaway group as ‘remarkably sensible people’, the minister told the Telegraph he was prepared to join the new party if the government presses ahead with a no-deal Brexit.

It came as Anna Soubry sparked speculation she is preparing to jump ship after removing a Conservative party slogan from her social media profile.'
  • MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,921
    GIN1138 said:

dr_spyn said:

Twitter footage suggests he may have been in Dorset today, but no evidence or announcement...

https://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/news/17441483.jeremy-corbyn-or-his-body-double-spotted-on-the-sandbanks-chain-ferry/
  • Which safe seat will Hatton be parachuted into? Waverley I guess.

It's over. Labour is officially no longer Labour and anyone who thinks it is, is deluding themselves.

Penny for Kinnock's thoughts tonight.
  • Mortimer said:

GIN1138 said:

dr_spyn said:

Twitter footage suggests he may have been in Dorset today, but no evidence or announcement...

https://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/news/17441483.jeremy-corbyn-or-his-body-double-spotted-on-the-sandbanks-chain-ferry/
    Isn’t sandbanks a bit Bourgeoisie for old jezza?
  • Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

Which safe seat will Hatton be parachuted into? Waverley I guess.

It's over. Labour is officially no longer Labour and anyone who thinks it is, is deluding themselves.

https://twitter.com/alexmassie/status/1097587824575082496

The important thing is being not the Tories.

And while I don't like Corbyn, with the vast majority of MPs remaining including the vast majority of pre Corbyn ones, they must think Labour is still Labour.
    kle4 said:

_Anazina_ said:

The 'funny tinge' comment from Smith
    Tinge/tint
    justin124 said:

Just found this on Guardian website

'The Telegraph goes yet further with a story published in the past few moments (premium) claiming a Conservative government minister is among those willing to join the new Independent Group if Theresa May pursues a no-deal Brexit.

A Tory minister and four Conservative backbenchers appear poised to defect to the new Independent Group set up by disgruntled Labour MPs, it has been claimed.

Describing the breakaway group as ‘remarkably sensible people’, the minister told the Telegraph he was prepared to join the new party if the government presses ahead with a no-deal Brexit.

It came as Anna Soubry sparked speculation she is preparing to jump ship after removing a Conservative party slogan from her social media profile.'

Thanks, Justin.
  • Scott_P said:

They probably hated Tony Benn as well. Virtually a Blairite. I mean he served under Wilson.
    Roger

2-0.

Great goal.
    Scott_P said:
    Seems like a reasonable response to me - if the leadership has indeed been operating on the assumption that most remainers will go nowhere no matter what they do, and nor will most moderates, it may as well test that out properly. They might still be right.
  • Scott_P said:

Many voters in this country don’t like Tony Blair.
  • Scott_P said:

They probably hated Tony Benn as well. Virtually a Blairite. I mean he served under Wilson.
    I don’t think they hate Benn. They probably aren’t as infatuated with Attlee as some Corbynistas seem to think they are, though.
  • https://twitter.com/OwenJones84/status/1097576499790708736

Indeed. You were warned Owen. Repeatedly. Time and time again, that this would happen if nothing was done about Jezza's 'leadership'.

kle4 said:

Scott_P said:
    Seems like a reasonable response to me - if the leadership has indeed been operating on the assumption that most remainers will go nowhere no matter what they do, and nor will most moderates, it may as well test that out properly. They might still be right.
    I suppose it's just about possible that the leadership's actual reaction to this morning's events was, "Only seven? What more do we have to do to convince them it's over?"
  • Scott_P said:

I don’t think they hate Benn. They probably aren’t as infatuated with Attlee as some Corbynistas seem to think they are, though.
    Attlee? Bloody warmonger.

Scott_P said:

But they did for a long time. Must have been something to him.

Scott_P said:

I don’t think they hate Benn.
    Only Emily Benn.
  • Possible sun headline....tiggers bounce while Honda flounce?
  • Scott_P said:
    They are drunk on the dreams of power, which is only a step away now surely?

They are trolling for fun now.
  • kle4 said:

Scott_P said:

Only Emily Benn.
    Isn't that some kind of proxy hatred?
  • I don’t really get Owen Jones’ reaction. He and his lot wanted moderates gone, so they (well, some) are gone. I don’t actually feel this group will make much of a difference to Labour’s chances next time. Most people don’t know who these MPs are and whatever people think of Corbyn many voters are not happy with the status quo, which seems is what this new group of MPs stand for.
  • Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,776
    edited February 2019
    kle4 said:

And while I don't like Corbyn, with the vast majority of MPs remaining including the vast majority of pre Corbyn ones, they must think Labour is still Labour.
    kle4 said:

Interviewees on the radio did not seem very supportive of the 7. Likely the same would be true in Salcombe and Bassingbourn if Wollaston and Allen jump ship.
    kle4 said:

Scott_P said:

Only Emily Benn.
    And Hilary Benn.
    edited February 2019

https://twitter.com/OwenJones84/status/1097576499790708736

Indeed. You were warned Owen. Repeatedly. Time and time again, that this would happen if nothing was done about Jezza's 'leadership'.

It's the blind assumption that the potential voters for the new party would all otherwise have voted Labour that is so arrogant and complacent.

As if we hadn't already learned that lesson with UKIP and the Tories.

Further, research into the 1980s SDP vote suggests it would have broken in favour of the Tories in a straight two-party contest. So unpopular was what Labour was offering at the time.
  • kle4 said:

Scott_P said:

But they did for a long time. Must have been something to him.
    Yes, I think Blair was very good at presenting himself as being all things to all men. That was never going to be sustainable. But what Blair has morphed into over the last ten years is definitely something I don’t think voters want.
    _Anazina_ said:

kle4 said:

Scott_P said:

Only Emily Benn.
    And Hilary Benn.
    _Anazina_ said:

kle4 said:

Scott_P said:

Only Emily Benn.
    And Hilary Benn.
    _Anazina_ said:

kle4 said:

Scott_P said:

Only Emily Benn.
    And Hilary Benn.
    And Mr Benn.

I don’t really get Owen Jones’ reaction. He and his lot wanted moderates gone, so they (well, some) are gone. I don’t actually feel this group will make much of a difference to Labour’s chances next time. Most people don’t know who these MPs are and whatever people think of Corbyn many voters are not happy with the status quo, which seems is what this new group of MPs stand for.

I don't think his type of reaction necessarily indicates one being rattled by the emergence of the Tiggers, and as you say it probably won't make that big a difference to their chances, so it is presumably just a very emotional lashing out in that even though he wanted them gone, they still dared to do so and how could they do something so beastly?
  • dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786
    _Anazina_ said:

_Anazina_ said:

kle4 said:

Scott_P said:

Only Emily Benn.
    And Hilary Benn.
    _Anazina_ said:

kle4 said:

Scott_P said:

Only Emily Benn.
    And Hilary Benn.
    _Anazina_ said:

kle4 said:

Scott_P said:

Only Emily Benn.
    And Hilary Benn.
    And Mr Benn.
    They even hate Gentle Ben. The baskets
  • RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    _Anazina_ said:

Roger

2-0.

Great goal.

3-i to United is not looking unlikely.
    IanB2 said:

https://twitter.com/OwenJones84/status/1097576499790708736

It's the blind assumption that the potential voters for the new party would all otherwise have voted Labour that is so arrogant and complacent.
    Nothing new in that. Not to be too mean, but a certain ex Lab MP on here once referred to LDs voting LD as a betrayal in a theoretical by-election because it took votes which, of course, would only have gone Labour.
This discussion has been closed.