Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Now what?

Comments

• Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,287

ydoethur said:

GIN1138 said:

tlg86 said:

GIN1138 said:

IanB2 said:

PM statement outside no 10 at 10 pm

Oh!
    Government crest watch!
    It's hard to see why she'd resign after she's just won a VONC?
    Well, people compare her to Thatcher. Maybe she's just aiming for the last point of comparison.
    Thatcher announced her resignation the morning of the Parliamentary VONC.
    But immediately after topping the first ballot of the leadership election and falling two votes short of an outright win.
  • Options
    AnazinaAnazina Posts: 3,487
    Sandpit said:

MikeL said:

It's notable that Woodcock, Lewis and Onasanya were all there for the vote yesterday.

So no question these are deliberate abstentions today.

Now they knew their votes didn't matter today - Govt was certain to win.

But it begs the question - if Govt loses the DUP and it's on an absolute knife-edge what would they do? They surely aren't indifferent as to whether there is a GE - it will have a major personal affect on them.

Has to be a chance they vote with the Govt - especially Woodcock and Lewis who have surely left Labour ideologically. Situation a bit different with Onasanya as presumably she still supports Labour 100%.

With any luck Ms Onasanya will find herself otherwise engaged shortly, won’t have that decision to make.
    The PB Tories are utterly obsessed with Fiona O!
  • Options
    ReggieCideReggieCide Posts: 4,312
    Ishmael_Z said:

Anazina said:

One of the rare times I agree with Corbo.

May should take No Deal off the table.

That is a fair starting point for talks given she has said several times she wants to avoid it.

You cannot take No Deal off the table because it is not an option in the first place, it is the consequence of failure to exercise an option.

Insultingly patronising analogy time: if the menu says chicken tikka, korma or biryani you have four options - chicken tikka, korma, biryani or not eating. Taking no deal off the table is saying to the waiter "I do not wish not to be served a meal" and the waiter's only possible response is: well do you want tikka, korma or biryani, then?

That's one problem. In itself it is not insuperable, because if "I don't want No Meal" completely defines your position then you can make the choice by asking what the chef recommends, or throwing dice, or something. The further problem is that you and your fellow diners don't just want to avoid a No Meal situation, they are also each of them implacably opposed to at least one of tikka, korma, biryani as well.

Which is why "No Deal won't happen because nobody wants it" is just not a sound argument.
    I admire your self control and can understand your frustration at the pretty general lack of understanding of the basic principle of a negotiation; deals are done by consenting parties, preferably without duress.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    viewcode said:

Scott_P said:
    OH HOLY F*****G S**T. EVERYTIME SHE OPENS HER MOUTH THE POUND TAKES A BATH. WHAT IS IT THIS TIME? ELECTION? RESIGNATION? GONU? WAR WITH SATURN? CAN'T YOU LAY OFF THE DRAMA FOR A FEW DAYS GODSDAMMIT?! I CAN ONLY COPE WITH ONE B****Y EMERGENCY AT A TIME.
    Genuinely lol'd, particularly at war with Saturn :-D
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Foxy said:

So, after a seismic 48 hours...Nothing has changed.

The stalemate continues.

At least we had something to bet on, and I am £100 better off.

There is no doubt that TM legacy will be 'nothing has changed' but no matter your politics you have to be amazed at her resilience and dedication to public service
    She's autistic. That's all.
    Can you provide a link to your allegation
    She's described "as having no friends" by michael gove
    People have said she lacks warmth and personality on first meeting.
    She even has the autistic facial structure, wide eyes and cat face.
    It has variously been said that she is ‘fundamentally unknowable’, ‘aloof’, ’reticent’, ‘self-contained’ and ‘sphinx like’.

She shows every single trait of somebody with autism. Her absurd, self-defeating stubbornness, secrecy and absolute imperviousness to either shame or change are all just part of May's neurological makeup.

Theresa May is neurologically incapable of the task to which we have set her. In many ways it's cruel, because we're torturing a helpless innocent.
    That is not a link to medical confirmation and without it you may want to take care in your allegations
    Why the need to "take care"? Do you really think Treason Mayhem is going to take time out of her heavily occluded calendar to sue grabcoque because he called her autistic on the arse end of the Internet?
    She doesn't need to. Anyone on here who was autistic and offended by its being used as a term of abuse could lodge a complaint which could get the site into trouble.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,081
    Chris_A said:

Sandpit said:

ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

Unlike Lewis and Woodcock who actively chose to abstain tonight, and I say this with a good deal of kindness, but Flynn really needs to resign his seat.

Do we know how sick he is? It would be sad to see a repeat of what happened in 1979, where the VonC came down to an MP who was five days from meeting his maker.
    The official story is he has very severe arthritis and therefore finds it very difficult to move.

I'm starting to wonder if there's a bit more to it than that.
    Ah okay. That doesn’t sound like something that’s likely to improve with treatment, in which case maybe it’s better that he takes the Chiltern Hundreds.
    Immunotherapy RA treatments are now very effective. We spend more on them than any other drug. Thank God a biosimilar (generic) adalimumab had become available.
    I started taking this in December (the bio similar, made in the Netherlands). It’s good stuff.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,687
    edited January 2019

ydoethur said:

GIN1138 said:

tlg86 said:

GIN1138 said:

IanB2 said:

Oh!
    Government crest watch!
    Well, people compare her to Thatcher. Maybe she's just aiming for the last point of comparison.
    There was a VoNC in 1990??
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,798
    edited January 2019
    Dura_Ace said:

Foxy said:

The stalemate continues.

There is no doubt that TM legacy will be 'nothing has changed' but no matter your politics you have to be amazed at her resilience and dedication to public service
    It has variously been said that she is ‘fundamentally unknowable’, ‘aloof’, ’reticent’, ‘self-contained’ and ‘sphinx like’.

She shows every single trait of somebody with autism. Her absurd, self-defeating stubbornness, secrecy and absolute imperviousness to either shame or change are all just part of May's neurological makeup.

Theresa May is neurologically incapable of the task to which we have set her. In many ways it's cruel, because we're torturing a helpless innocent.
    That is not a link to medical confirmation and without it you may want to take care in your allegations
    Why the need to "take care"? Do you really think Treason Mayhem is going to take time out of her heavily occluded calendar to sue grabcoque because he called her autistic on the arse end of the Internet?
    Why do you care if someone thinks someone else should take care with such language? Whether it would cause any problems for poster or site is irrelevant, some don't like throwing around such terms pejoratively, if you do not care then fine, but people are allowed to signal virtue.

• Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,289
    Greek government very narrowly survives its own confidence vote
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,898
    Anazina said:

Sandpit said:

MikeL said:

It's notable that Woodcock, Lewis and Onasanya were all there for the vote yesterday.

But it begs the question - if Govt loses the DUP and it's on an absolute knife-edge what would they do? They surely aren't indifferent as to whether there is a GE - it will have a major personal affect on them.

Has to be a chance they vote with the Govt - especially Woodcock and Lewis who have surely left Labour ideologically. Situation a bit different with Onasanya as presumably she still supports Labour 100%.

With any luck Ms Onasanya will find herself otherwise engaged shortly, won’t have that decision to make.
    She’s an incredibly important piece in the jigsaw of the VonC by the DUP following the passing of the Brexit deal. It’s down to a vote or two either way.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    DavidL said:

Completely O/T (for which I apologise, its an excellent thread header) but I have just caught the trailer for Vice. I really can't remember when I was looking forward to a film so much.

If you enjoyed The Big Short, you'll enjoy this too. Very similar style of story-telling. The portrayal from stupid drunk jock to White House operator to the old master of evil Dick Cheney we know and love is quite something. Hair and make-up Osca nailed on.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,828

viewcode said:

Scott_P said:
    OH HOLY F*****G S**T. EVERYTIME SHE OPENS HER MOUTH THE POUND TAKES A BATH. WHAT IS IT THIS TIME? ELECTION? RESIGNATION? GONU? WAR WITH SATURN? CAN'T YOU LAY OFF THE DRAMA FOR A FEW DAYS GODSDAMMIT?! I CAN ONLY COPE WITH ONE B****Y EMERGENCY AT A TIME.
    Thank you.
  • Options
    edited January 2019

ydoethur said:

GIN1138 said:

tlg86 said:

GIN1138 said:

IanB2 said:

Oh!
    Government crest watch!
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/stories/november/20/newsid_4318000/4318718.stm

Edit - or here, giving the result:

https://www.itv.com/news/2019-01-16/history-of-confidence-votes-in-house-of-commons/
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Dura_Ace said:

Foxy said:

The stalemate continues.

She doesn't need to. Anyone on here who was autistic and offended by its being used as a term of abuse could lodge a complaint which could get the site into trouble.
    The site should be grateful that a genuine moron or idiot probably doesn't have the knowhow to bring a case...
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Scott_P said:
    Either your caps lock is stuck or you're not coping already
  • Options
    PM statement will promise to deliver Brexit
  • Options

ydoethur said:

dixiedean said:

Jonathan said:

She should take no deal off the table.

Why weaken your hand and make the EU refuse further concessions. It is not going to happen until a clear alternative has been decided upon
    The EU will not offer further concessions. This deal is the best deal and the only deal.
    Until 48 hours to 29th March deadline......... It's the way they work. Always have.
    It's how they work if they think you have a chance of delivering. May is clearly unable to deliver; her party want to crash out and so does the DUP, so why would anyone go out on a limb for her?

Though I do look forward to the gradually ramping chaos and panic as we move ever closer to that cliff edge, it's going to be beautiful.
    Take away the backstop - and she can deliver......
    I refer you to my earlier question. What, specifically would you be prepared to sacrifice for a backstop solution?
    Cede Northern Ireland to the French
    How about Northern Ireland to Spain and Gibraltar to Ireland?
    Cunning. We can always claim Ireland was a party to the Treaty of Utrecht anyway. While we're at it, I'd quite like to swap Scotland for Flanders..
    Stephanie or Ned?
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    So the deal is deeply deficient but the people should be allowed to approve it? Not even going to attempt any other Brexit options?

Just come out and say 'support remain by any means necessary'. No one will mind, everyone knows that's the position of their parties.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

ydoethur said:

Dura_Ace said:

Foxy said:

The stalemate continues.

The site should be grateful that a genuine moron or idiot probably doesn't have the knowhow to bring a case...
    I don't think being an idiot is a protected characteristic. Moron might be as there's a medical definition for it.
  • Options
    Chris_AChris_A Posts: 1,237
    Foxy said:

Chris_A said:

Sandpit said:

ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

Unlike Lewis and Woodcock who actively chose to abstain tonight, and I say this with a good deal of kindness, but Flynn really needs to resign his seat.

Do we know how sick he is? It would be sad to see a repeat of what happened in 1979, where the VonC came down to an MP who was five days from meeting his maker.
    The official story is he has very severe arthritis and therefore finds it very difficult to move.

Ah okay. That doesn’t sound like something that’s likely to improve with treatment, in which case maybe it’s better that he takes the Chiltern Hundreds.
    Immunotherapy RA treatments are now very effective. We spend more on them than any other drug. Thank God a biosimilar (generic) adalimumab had become available.
    I quite agree. Modern biologic therapy for arthritis has transformed the prognosis of rheumatoid, albeit at a pretty steep price.
    Hasn't done much for our CCG's finances!
  • Options

viewcode said:

Scott_P said:
    I'll have you know I have many relatives among the secret alien denizens of Saturn and I find that highly offensive.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

Anazina said:

That is a fair starting point for talks given she has said several times she wants to avoid it.

You cannot take No Deal off the table because it is not an option in the first place, it is the consequence of failure to exercise an option.

Insultingly patronising analogy time: if the menu says chicken tikka, korma or biryani you have four options - chicken tikka, korma, biryani or not eating. Taking no deal off the table is saying to the waiter "I do not wish not to be served a meal" and the waiter's only possible response is: well do you want tikka, korma or biryani, then?

That's one problem. In itself it is not insuperable, because if "I don't want No Meal" completely defines your position then you can make the choice by asking what the chef recommends, or throwing dice, or something. The further problem is that you and your fellow diners don't just want to avoid a No Meal situation, they are also each of them implacably opposed to at least one of tikka, korma, biryani as well.

Which is why "No Deal won't happen because nobody wants it" is just not a sound argument.
    Meanwhile, the kitchen closes in twenty minutes......
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

ydoethur said:

Dura_Ace said:

Foxy said:

The stalemate continues.

I don't think being an idiot is a protected characteristic. Moron might be as there's a medical definition for it.
    What I want to know is how they got such generous over-representation in Parliament?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

GIN1138 said:

tlg86 said:

GIN1138 said:

IanB2 said:

Oh!
    Government crest watch!
    "Maggie T ain't got shit on me!" :)
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

A nothing has changed statement then
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,079
    IanB2 said:

That sounds like the statement when she called the election.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

ydoethur said:

Dura_Ace said:

Foxy said:

The stalemate continues.

What I want to know is how they got such generous over-representation in Parliament?
    Are we sure it's not because 100% of British voters are idiots?
  • Options
    Anazina said:

Sandpit said:

MikeL said:

?? An MP in a hyper marginal seat has been convicted of a crime and is due to be sentence, with potential implications for the entire country given the closeness of some votes. What exactly is obsessive about mentioning such a political event? Sometimes I think you just look for things to claim people are obsessed about.
  • Options
    AnazinaAnazina Posts: 3,487
    Ishmael - change the default
  • Options
    Maybe there's going to be a delay, mollified by Theresa's promise? The government would leap at an excuse to get some more time.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

GIN1138 said:

tlg86 said:

GIN1138 said:

IanB2 said:

Oh!
    Government crest watch!
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/stories/november/20/newsid_4318000/4318718.stm

Edit - or here, giving the result:

https://www.itv.com/news/2019-01-16/history-of-confidence-votes-in-house-of-commons/
    Thank you. I honestly have no recollection of that. Must have been delerious with the news that Thatcher was done for.
  • Options

Chris_A said:

Sandpit said:

ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

I started taking this in December (the bio similar, made in the Netherlands). It’s good stuff.
    Very glad. Side effects can be troublesome but as Dr Foxy said it's transformer the lives of many people with RA.
  • Options
    Is there a record for most statements outside No.10? It feels like May has spent half her premiership outside that door.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    As I said "Nothing has changed".

How reassuring.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    Scott_P said:
    Meaningless, time-wasting waffle - part 25,788,194 in an ongoing series
  • Options
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,003
    It's happening the other way too. The RAF are going to Blue Flag 2020 in Israel. Unless JC is PM by then in which case I highly doubt it.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Well, that's all right then. The Commons can't get its shit together, the EU is being as stubborn as ever, the government is more divided than at any time since 1922 and the Opposition is being led by a man who is only not considered a Nazi because he's certainly not a nationalist.

But Theresa May is in charge.

I'm sure we're all very happy to know this.

Good night.
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    kle4 said:

Is there a record for most statements outside No.10? It feels like May has spent half her premiership outside that door.

Is the GE the only thing promised from that lecturn that has actually come to pass?
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,726
    edited January 2019
    ydoethur said:

FF43 said:

A good review of the UK's three Brexit options:

1. No Deal is grim. If anything they understate the ghastliness because there will big political fallout from having to make the same compromises, this time in the context of economic dislocation and no transition period.

2. Remain on a second referendum lacks support and is difficult to achieve.

3. Resubmit a revised, softer version of the Deal with countdown to No Deal hanging as a threat, in the hope that enough Labour MPs come on board. Highly risky.

The authors think Theresa May is pinning her hopes on the third option.

https://twitter.com/JohnSpringford/status/1085549974367154180

Since option 3 is not available, that leaves, 2, which has been rejected by the public or er, no deal.

So it is a false suggestion.

If she announces that she is going to try to renegotiate I hope Hammond puts us - and her - out of her misery by resigning.
    It wouldn't be a renegotiation of the Deal. The WA stays. The PS either gets restated to take account of May's loosened red lines or a codicil is added to the same effect. The Political Statement on the future state is only a declaration of intent. It all needs to be negotiated. Which is one of the problems of signing up to it. It can be changed by a different government later. And on the current promise probably can't be implemented anyway. The Withdrawal Agreement is a treaty with legal force and sticks. That's the stuff the EU wants - on Ireland, money, citizens rights, level playing field - as well as the two year extension that we want.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Greek government very narrowly survives its own confidence vote

The Bloomberg view...

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2019-01-14/macedonia-and-greece-are-a-lesson-to-brexit-britain

As many Brits understand after two-and-a-half years of Brexit struggles, asking the people isn’t always the best way to resolve a divisive issue. Good old political bargaining can sometimes lead to better results. The British remainers might wish they’d had a Zaev of their own, willing to keep pushing for what they believed was right even after losing the referendum.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,081
    edited January 2019
    Chris_A said:

Chris_A said:

Sandpit said:

ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

Very glad. Side effects can be troublesome but as Dr Foxy said it's transformer the lives of many people with RA.
    I take it for Crohn’s Disease. No side effects so far.
    I worry about the medicine not getting though in the event of a no deal brexit as one can develop antibodies to it if it is stopped and started. At least that’s what I understand.
  • Options

viewcode said:

Scott_P said:
    I was coping up until fifteen minutes ago: calm, contemplative, "maintaining" in the jargon. Planning for the future, adapt, improvise, overcome, just like the old days. Then May decided she was short of Norma Desmond. If she can have a nervous breakdown in office, I can too... :)
  • Options
    kle4 said:
    It's just therapy for Mrs M, so she can feel she is still in charge of events
  • Options
    More likely May has developed a new dance move and wants to show it off. Good on her.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

kle4 said:
    "I'm leading!"
    "Yes of course you are, Prime Minister. Now come back inside and let us figure out how to kick the can another few days"
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Anazina said:

Sandpit said:

MikeL said:

?? An MP in a hyper marginal seat has been convicted of a crime and is due to be sentence, with potential implications for the entire country given the closeness of some votes. What exactly is obsessive about mentioning such a political event? Sometimes I think you just look for things to claim people are obsessed about.
    Being obsessed about people obsessing sounds a bit introspective, no?
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    IanB2 said:

ydoethur said:

Dura_Ace said:

Foxy said:

The stalemate continues.

Errm, I am autistic (at least I think I am. I have been told so face to face by a psychiatrist, but I don't think grabcocque has yet done a definitive over-the-air diagnosis). I also have a PhD, and could probably work my way round the intricacies of "bringing a case" if I wanted to.

You don't come across as either a very nice, or a very intelligent, person.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,079
    IanB2 said:

kle4 said:
    "Alright Mr DeMille, I'm ready for my close-up..."

https://twitter.com/faisalislam/status/1085648380917764097
  • Options
    So with Tsipras winning does that mean the Greece-Macedonia deal will be formally done now? Good news.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

IanB2 said:

ydoethur said:

Dura_Ace said:

Foxy said:

The stalemate continues.

Errm, I am autistic (at least I think I am. I have been told so face to face by a psychiatrist, but I don't think grabcocque has yet done a definitive over-the-air diagnosis). I also have a PhD, and could probably work my way round the intricacies of "bringing a case" if I wanted to.

I think you have misunderstood what was intended to be a humorous comment that didn't refer or relate to autistic people at all.
  • Options
    LDs, SNP, PC and Green leaders have written to Corbyn asking him to back a referendum
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,214
    edited January 2019

Very good thread header Cyclefree - thanks.

I only wish you had some influence over May and Corbyn :(

Well, so do I because it’s my childrens’ futures these arrogant incompetent nitwits are ruining.

Anyway off to bed. I simply cannot bear to hear another of Mrs May’s Potemkin speeches. The only one I want to hear from her is “I resign”, followed by Corbyn saying the same thing.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Anazina said:

Sandpit said:

MikeL said:

Being obsessed about people obsessing sounds a bit introspective, no?
    I'm obsessed by that very question.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

viewcode said:

Scott_P said:
    I'll have you know I have many relatives among the secret alien denizens of Saturn and I find that highly offensive.
    :)
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Very good thread header Cyclefree - thanks.

I only wish you had some influence over May and Corbyn :(

Well, so do I because it’s my childrens’ futures these arrogant incompetent nitwits are ruining.

Anyway off to bed. I simply cannot bear to hear another of Mrs May’s Potemkin speeches. The only one I want to hear from her is “I resign”, followed by Corbyn saying the same thing.
    Perhaps they could do it together.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

viewcode said:

Scott_P said:
    I was coping up until fifteen minutes ago: calm, contemplative, "maintaining" in the jargon. Planning for the future, adapt, improvise, overcome, just like the old days. Then May decided she was short of Norma Desmond. If she can have a nervous breakdown in office, I can too... :)
    Your old persona sounds most impressive
  • Options

IanB2 said:

kle4 said:

"Maine Road style"? Where's Faisal been these past 15 years?
  • Options
    notme2notme2 Posts: 1,006
    kle4 said:

Anazina said:

Sandpit said:

MikeL said:

They are trying to imply that somehow the cons are obsessed with her because they are racist.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Ishmael_Z said:

IanB2 said:

ydoethur said:

Dura_Ace said:

Foxy said:

The stalemate continues.

I think you have misunderstood what was intended to be a humorous comment that didn't refer or relate to autistic people at all.
    Oh.
  • Options
    Corbyn isn't good at politics is he

Calls for a vonc and loses, and as a result exposes his ambiguity on a seond referendum and the SNP, Lib Dems, and Plaid now demanding he comes out in favour or they won't support any further vonc
  • Options
    kle4 said:

viewcode said:

Scott_P said:
    I for one welcome our new Saturnian overlords.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

It's happening the other way too. The RAF are going to Blue Flag 2020 in Israel. Unless JC is PM by then in which case I highly doubt it.
    Depends whether they get missile lock on him in 2019.....
  • Options
    edited January 2019

Calls for a vonc and loses, and as a result exposes his ambiguity on a seond referendum and the SNP, Lib Dems, and Plaid now demanding he comes out in favour or they won't support any further vonc

Didn't look like he enjoyed Gove's speech much, either

Gove's currency in the leadership stakes must be on the up.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    IanB2 said:

God no.
  • Options
    Anazina said:

You can't, unless you can abrogate the rule of logic which says that the complement of "no deal" is "a deal". Schrodinger's cat gets too much airtime recently, but tthe point is that you can't be in favour of a superposition of incompatible deals, which is what those who "oppose No Deal" think they can do.
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,050

He's very good at knowing train timetables
  • Options
    For anyone who missed the debate, the closing speeches from Watson and Gove are well worth a listen, when the debate goes up on iPlayer Parliament Channel.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

kle4 said:

What she should say: I resign.
    What she would say: Nothing has changed. My deal is better is the only deal and to reject it risks no deal or no Brexit.
  • Options

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

Scott_P said:
    Your old persona sounds most impressive
    It was in the far-off days of fifteen minutes ago... :)
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

Anazina said:

You can't, unless you can abrogate the rule of logic which says that the complement of "no deal" is "a deal". Schrodinger's cat gets too much airtime recently, but tthe point is that you can't be in favour of a superposition of incompatible deals, which is what those who "oppose No Deal" think they can do.
    Revoking A50 would change the default, just saying.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

IanB2 said:

God no.
    I agree, and never saw him as a contender. But the way he took Corbyn apart will have impressed Tories. And he ticks the boxes of both being a leaver and a loyal and pragmatic supporter of the PM.
  • Options

Chris_A said:

Chris_A said:

Sandpit said:

ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

I take it for Crohn’s Disease. No side effects so far.
    I worry about the medicine not getting though in the event of a no deal brexit as one can develop antibodies to it if it is stopped and started. At least that’s what I understand.
    I shouldn't worry unnecessarily but it would be prudent to have a few weeks in hand for the end of March. It's insulin I would be more concerned about as it's almost all imported.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Both TM and Gove attacked Corbyn in a spectacular way and the glum look on his fellow mps says it all

More of this will follow in any GE campaign
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    So Labour, SNP and LDems all saying they will only participate in talks if No Deal is ruled out.

JC not looking quite so stupid now.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,726
    edited January 2019
    Ishmael_Z said:

Anazina said:

You cannot take No Deal off the table ...

It's like saying starvation is an option. While literally true, you would do what you can to avoid the situation.

In fact the Labour demand is reasonable, although you may decide it's wrong, depending on your point of view. Their demand is that No Deal must be excluded but other options, including by implication her deal, remain etc are possible. Mrs May for her part categorically refuses to allow Remain but she will allow No Deal.

The point is, both Labour and Mrs May are making choices.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,983
    IanB2 said:

MaxPB said:

IanB2 said:

God no.
    I agree, and never saw him as a contender. But the way he took Corbyn apart will have impressed Tories. And he ticks the boxes of both being a leaver and a loyal and pragmatic supporter of the PM.
    Gove's gone from 12-1 to 6-1 in the past few hours...
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    So Labour, SNP and LDems all saying they will only participate in talks if No Deal is ruled out.

Vince did at least go and tell her to her face.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,289
    Gove has just gone favourite for next Con leader on Betfair at 7.2.
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787

kle4 said:

viewcode said:

Scott_P said:
    They couldn’t be any worse, could they?
  • Options
    Good news for May - from tomorrow she'll have had 2.5 years in office, so we can round up and say she had closer to 3 years than 2 in office.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    She ought to resign just to get one over on the BBC.
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    Scott_P said:
    Not that a vote is itself unreasonable, but isn't he essentially saying the government must do exactly what he wants? What exactly will be be willing to concede on in exchange for the PM conceding to a vote?

Also, I was very excited by the words 'New LD Leader' before hope was dashed.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Good news for May - from tomorrow she'll have had 2.5 years in office, so we can round up and say she had closer to 3 years than 2 in office.

And closer to five years than nothing
  • Options
    rpjs said:

kle4 said:

viewcode said:

Scott_P said:
    As long as they're not planning a vote to pull Earth out of the Solar Union, can't see how
  • Options

Scott_P said:

No they call look equally stupid. Lowest common denominator
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Scott_P said:
    Not that a vote is itself unreasonable, but isn't he essentially saying the government must do exactly what he wants? What exactly will be be willing to concede on in exchange for the PM conceding to a vote?

Also, I was very excited by the words 'New LD Leader' before hope was dashed.
    I cannot speak for him obviously but I would have thought the LDems could offer to support her deal provided it is sanctioned by a 2nd Ref. Why is that so hard for the government to accept?
  • Options

rpjs said:

kle4 said:

viewcode said:

Scott_P said:
    As long as they're not planning a vote to pull Earth out of the Solar Union, can't see how
    Even then, we'll be fine - with our easy trade deal with the Asteroid Belt
  • Options
    MikeL said:

Gove has just gone favourite for next Con leader on Betfair at 7.2.

And for once I'd be wary of the usual strategy of laying the favourite.

Gove v Cox would be an interesting member vote that we wouldn't have anticipated.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    I thought it was just the BBC News will be on BBC 2?
This discussion has been closed.