Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » On the spread betting markets the number of Brexit deal “ayes”

SystemSystem Posts: 11,005
edited January 2019 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » On the spread betting markets the number of Brexit deal “ayes” for TMay’s deal slips five during the afternoon

For me the most satisfying, if risky, form of political gambling is on the spread betting markets where the more you are right with your prediction the more you win – with, alas, of the converse being the case.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    “No deal is better than a bad deal.”
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    “Nothing has changed. “
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,152
    edited January 2019
    2nd.

3rd
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    “Brexit means Brexit”
  • Options
    Jezza seems to have invested in a shiny new tie for this big evening.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    https://www.betfair.com/exchange/plus/politics/market/1.130766060

"UK - Brexit - UK to leave the EU by the 29/03/2019?

Yes 5
    No 1.24"
  • Options
    AnazinaAnazina Posts: 3,487
    FPT

Royal Blue

Tough, if you can’t email because of the brilliant GDPR, you shouldn’t be able to spam me with your wasteful printed propaganda either. Do something better with your time. Cry me a river.

Oxford Simon

Sorry to hear about your mum. Agree entirely.

• Options
    Jonathan said:

Precisely. I hope those words rebound in her head and taste like ash in her mouth as this is a bad deal.
  • Options
    In case anyone is confused, there's a mistake in Mike's piece: fourth paragraph should be:

If you bet at that level and the outcome was, say, 210 MPs then you would win the difference between the actual outcome and your bet – in this case seven, times your stake level. The worse it is for Mrs May the more money you would make.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,560
    Only 4 out of 14 amendments selected?! Why so restrictive, anyone know?
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,987

He's struggling a bit. Stumbling. I don't think he's pre-read or rehearsed his speech.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited January 2019

@grabcocque gave a rather good explanation on the midday thread (1.11pm).
  • Options
    Sandy Rentool of this forum spent several evenings pushing xenophobic Leave propaganda about Syrians through people’s letterboxes that - as he proudly told us on here - he knew to be a lie.

Case closed on political junk mail. Bin it.
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

He's struggling a bit. Stumbling. I don't think he's pre-read or rehearsed his speech.
    Agreed he's surprisingly hesitant.
  • Options
    DavidL

FPT

I know. Bonkers on stilts.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,123
    What the hell is Corbyn talking about?
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Yes 5
    No 1.24"

Yes is already value and will be superb value by last orders (am in the pub)
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    Barnesian said:

Jezza is at his best when facing an adoring crowd at a rally. Alas he's in the Commons
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,578
    Anazina said:

Sandy Rentool of this forum spent several evenings pushing xenophobic Leave propaganda about Syrians through people’s letterboxes that - as he proudly told us on here - he knew to be a lie.

No I did not. I posted leaflets referencing the £350 million - nothing about Syria.
  • Options
    SunnyJimSunnyJim Posts: 1,106
    There is still nothing of substance from Labour about what their version of Brexit would actually look like. And what their plan would be if the EU were to reject their offer.

I'm hoping May immediately calls a GE when the deal is voted down tonight.

Watch the remainers absolutely sh*t themselves.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382

In case anyone is confused, there's a mistake in Mike's piece: fourth paragraph should be:

If you bet at that level and the outcome was, say, 210 MPs then you would win the difference between the actual outcome and your bet – in this case seven, times your stake level. The worse it is for Mrs May the more money you would make.

Thanks you for that - fixed
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,618
    @MikeSmithson

Thank you for the article. We don't have many articles about the types of betting, and things like this are interesting
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,077
    Bercow’s tie 👌
  • Options
    We should vote against the deal because it won't solve child poverty in the UK....right.
  • Options

Anazina said:

No I did not. I posted leaflets referencing the £350 million - nothing about Syria.
    Apologies.

However, you did trumpet on here that you knew that to be a lie.

And you still pushed it through letterboxes.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,108

Barnesian said:

Jezza is at his best when facing an adoring crowd at a rally. Alas he's in the Commons
    I dunno, the Commons right now seems to be demonstrating approximately the same intellectual calibre and grasp of reality as the average Jezz-adoring crowd, or indeed rather stupid three year old.
  • Options
    Typically shouty, crap speech from Jezza.

May up now.
  • Options
    Corbyn's position is quite spectacularly incoherent. No wonder he's struggling a bit.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,618
    Anazina said:

AndyJS said:

Yes 5
    No 1.24"

I am quietly appalled by this. The bigger the defeat, the lower the probability of leaving on time? People are cray-cray... :(
  • Options
    Anazina said:

Anazina said:

Apologies.

When your opponents are claiming that the end of western civilization is nigh, the truth has already taken a back seat.
  • Options

Thanks - just had a quick trawl but can't find it. Never mind it will all be history soon.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Barnesian said:

I dunno, the Commons right now seems to be demonstrating approximately the same intellectual calibre and grasp of reality as the average Jezz-adoring crowd, or indeed rather stupid three year old.
    Bit harsh on 3 year olds in my experience.
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092

Jonathan said:

Precisely. I hope those words rebound in her head and taste like ash in her mouth as this is a bad deal.
    This was back in that halcyon days when May's main concern was showing the right wing press what a badass she was. Around the time she started wearing a leather jacket and got "GO HOME" tattooed on the backs of her fingers.
  • Options
    Theresa May stands up, to loud and sustained applause from Conservatives.

Oh dear, that's a very bad sign.
  • Options

Barnesian said:

Mrs May is more impressive. She has rehearsed. But she looks exhausted and no wonder. This might swing a few votes (at OGH's expense).
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    ydoethur said:

Barnesian said:

I have nothing other than contempt for the current House of Commons.

The petty posturing and preening that has been displayed by too many members is only matched by their refusal to actually engage with the reality of the situation they are facing.

Far too much bloviating. Far too little reason.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

Barnesian said:

Bit harsh on 3 year olds in my experience.
    Well, I did say stupid ones.
  • Options

Thanks - just had a quick trawl but can't find it. Never mind it will all be history soon.
    Here's what he said:

The Speaker's job is to select which amendments are in order, effective and likely to command the support of the house. Most of the amendments were wrecking amendments, and wrecking amendments are never in order.

As for the Swire and Murrison amendments, they were both ineffective, as they tried to bind the EU to act in a certain way (which Parliament cannot do) or to attempt to redraft the WA to say something it does not (which directly contradicts the government's legal obligations and would therefore be unconscionable to do).

The Mann amendment was not selected due to lack of support in the house. After Labour, the ERG and the DUP all declined to support it, it would have been futile to put it to the house.

Once again, if the House finds fault with the way the Speaker selects amendments, they are welcome to move an early day motion and resolve that the house has no confidence in him and a new speaker would be elected.

But I think we all know the House would resolve it still very much has confidence in the Speaker.

• Options

:lol:
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Barnesian said:

The petty posturing and preening that has been displayed by too many members is only matched by their refusal to actually engage with the reality of the situation they are facing.

Again, I think I feel hatred as well as contempt.

If every one of these tossers loses their seats, good riddance. We need a clearout.
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

Barnesian said:

Mrs May is more impressive. She has rehearsed. But she looks exhausted and no wonder. This might swing a few votes (at OGH's expense).
    She certainly has rehearsed - she's delivered this speech at least 10 times already.
  • Options

Barnesian said:

Barnesian said:

She certainly has rehearsed - she's delivered this speech at least 10 times already.
    But what's the point - it's not going to sway anyone
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,624
    I'm not up for big risks, which is a shame as I think I'd do quite well on number of ayes. I think it will just creep over 200.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,097
    viewcode said:

Anazina said:

AndyJS said:

Yes 5
    No 1.24"

I am quietly appalled by this. The bigger the defeat, the lower the probability of leaving on time? People are cray-cray... :(
    It makes a certain amount of sense if people are taking it as axiomatic that a No Deal exit is unlikely. In that case the only way we'll leave on time is if May's deal is approved. The bigger the defeat, the less likely that is.
  • Options

Here's what he said:

The Speaker's job is to select which amendments are in order, effective and likely to command the support of the house. Most of the amendments were wrecking amendments, and wrecking amendments are never in order.

As for the Swire and Murrison amendments, they were both ineffective, as they tried to bind the EU to act in a certain way (which Parliament cannot do) or to attempt to redraft the WA to say something it does not (which directly contradicts the government's legal obligations and would therefore be unconscionable to do).

The Mann amendment was not selected due to lack of support in the house. After Labour, the ERG and the DUP all declined to support it, it would have been futile to put it to the house.

Once again, if the House finds fault with the way the Speaker selects amendments, they are welcome to move an early day motion and resolve that the house has no confidence in him and a new speaker would be elected.

But I think we all know the House would resolve it still very much has confidence in the Speaker.

Thanks
  • Options
    kle4 said:

I'm not up for big risks, which is a shame as I think I'd do quite well on number of ayes. I think it will just creep over 200.

There should be many ayes on Westminster, but we all have our faces in our hands.
  • Options

Anazina said:

Anazina said:

Apologies.

When your opponents are claiming that the end of western civilization is nigh, the truth has already taken a back seat.
    Thanks for proving my point. Political ‘literature’ aka propaganda/lies that gets pushed through the letterboxes of householders is a waste of paper, and a waste of a life for those who do it. It’s mostly lies. Get rid of it.
  • Options
    NemtynakhtNemtynakht Posts: 2,311

The People's Vote crowd have an impressive turnout in Parliament Square. I wonder how this influences proceedings in the House?

https://twitter.com/WinstonsBack/status/1085227083666780167

This kind of post is the problem I have with peoples vote. You see hardly anyone calling for peoples vote who wants to leave. And drumming up a crowd in London to support Remain is like shooting fish in a barrel. Try doing in Stoke then you can say it’s the will of the people
    Well there's always an angle that enables you to dismiss people you disagree with. Who cares what muesli eating Londoners think? Who cares what the old and uneducated think?

But the fact is that it is looking like the whole Brexit process is going to be played out while parliament is surrounded by crowds highly motivated to oppose it. The last time crowds took that much interest was the Great Reform Act.

Well yes I agree people are interest3d but my assertion is that just because you can get a crowd of people in London supporting a People’s Vote (remain by another name), it isn’t exactly some sort of show of support, just like if you did a petition in Stoke or anther strong leave area for Leave it would get lots of leavers signing.
  • Options
    May seems to think a GE would be in the interests of Jezza.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    edited January 2019
    SunnyJim said:

There is still nothing of substance from Labour about what their version of Brexit would actually look like. And what their plan would be if the EU were to reject their offer.

I'm hoping May immediately calls a GE when the deal is voted down tonight.

Watch the remainers absolutely sh*t themselves.

Experience to date suggests that May will simply wait a few days, perhaps visit Brussels to obtain a letter that contains nothing new, and then come back and put the same Deal to Parliament again.

I stand to be proven wrong by events (I have been often enough in the past, after all,) but unless or until there's a revolt somewhere on the Government side then nothing will change, and the clock will continue to tick down. And neither the ERG wing, nor the DUP with their crucial votes, have any incentive to rock the boat under such circumstances. If the clock simply runs down to zero without Parliament caving in and backing the Withdrawal Agreement, then they get everything that they want.

If a majority exists in Parliament for staying in the EU, then the various groups within it are only going to get their way by working together. I very much doubt that the current Prime Minister will expedite their wishes.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

This was back in that halcyon days when May's main concern was showing the right wing press what a badass she was. Around the time she started wearing a leather jacket and got "GO HOME" tattooed on the backs of her fingers.

It was the head shaving and the white laces in the Doc Martens that, for me, represent the zenith of her powers
  • Options
    It’s almost like it’s Prime Minister’s Questions!
  • Options
    Anazina said:

Anazina said:

Anazina said:

Apologies.

Thanks for proving my point. Political ‘literature’ aka propaganda/lies that gets pushed through the letterboxes of householders is a waste of paper, and a waste of a life for those who do it. It’s mostly lies. Get rid of it.
    You'll be pleased to hear that in my local election 'campaign' (ha ha) last year I delivered precisely zero pieces of literature.
  • Options
    Interesting intervention from Sir Edward. Is that enough for him?
  • Options

It’s almost like it’s Prime Minister’s Questions!

Hell's bells, that bad?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961

What did she say?
  • Options
    Javid wondering if its his turn yet.
  • Options
    Anazina said:

Anazina said:

Anazina said:

Apologies.

I would be happy to receive a document that carried a summary of the party policies being put forward in their manifesto, a short biography and photograph of the candidate plus a personal statement from the candidate. That is all that is necessary. It would be the same for all candidates - same format, distributed at the same time.
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256
    FPT:
    Cyclefree said:

RobD said:

Rule out No Deal - and you rule out ANY chance of the EU blinking frst.

Which is why negotaition by House of Commons is stupid. In a commercial negotaition, you have a small team undertaking that negotiation, reporting to the Board (Cabinet). Ultimately the CEO (PM) will carry the can if that fails . But what you can NEVER have is not just every member of the Board giving direction - but every shareholder (MP) too.

In a commercial negotiation, the negotiators are given a clear set of objectives and constraints. Our negotiators have no clue what the end position is because our government has no clue.

The last two years have been a total waste of everyone's time. Whatever we settle on will be caused by force of circumstance rather than achieving what we wanted.
    The end position is immaterial, the EU are refusing to negotiate on that until we are a third party.
    I was referring to the Withdrawal Agreement. I suspect we also have not got the faintest idea about the next stage either and we will send another bunch of uninformed unfortunates to sit in Brussels to face a well-prepared EU team.

Frankly, I am getting to the point were I am amazed that those in govt can actually manage to write their names without help.
    Why haven't we set up our party yet? I mean: we could wipe the floor with the numpties in government. We have cats and other animals and your bacon rind all ready to take on their Cabinet jobs. What is stopping us?

I know, I know: we have a life and too much common-sense etc.
    I am not sure about the common-sense, but I certainly have a life unlike those in Numptyville, SW1 where they seem to ignore reality and hatch second rate plots and schemes.

Oh well, back to shoes: I have found a new website selling some utterly delightful ones and they are most diligent in sending me enticing looking emails. I have enough shoes left for the rest of my life - but, still.......

That is great news on the shoes, because you can never have too many. I am redoing my clothes collection at the minute and considering a new set of colours now that I spend less time schmoozing the business / corporate lifestyle, so the work gray / black / blues / (insert subdued colour here) are going and stronger colours that suit me are "in".

I expect to have bags of fun. :-)
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    DavidL said:

I don't think so. It means she is prepared to develop his ideas on the backstop with him for a second go with her deal but she'll only do that if her deal is voted down this evening. Why would he vote for it?

I must say he seemed very pleased with her response and looked approvingly back at his colleagues almost with a wink.
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    RobD said:

What did she say?
    Something like 'The LOTO calls for a GE; I am interested in delivering what's good for the country, not what's good for the LOTO".

Edit: the Guardian has it as "May refers to Corbyn’s call for a general election. But this is about what is best for the country, not what is best for Labour."
  • Options

Anazina said:

Anazina said:

Anazina said:

Apologies.

You'll be pleased to hear that in my local election 'campaign' (ha ha) last year I delivered precisely zero pieces of literature.
    Glad to hear it.

Flame over!
  • Options

Anazina said:

Anazina said:

Anazina said:

Apologies.

I would be happy to receive a document that carried a summary of the party policies being put forward in their manifesto, a short biography and photograph of the candidate plus a personal statement from the candidate. That is all that is necessary. It would be the same for all candidates - same format, distributed at the same time.
    Agreed.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Barnesian said:

If every one of these tossers loses their seats, good riddance. We need a clearout.
    +1
  • Options
    May right on Jezza's complete failure to oppose with an alternative.
  • Options
    grabcocquegrabcocque Posts: 4,234
    Ooh she's gone all creaky.

She thinks it's all over.
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

DavidL said:

I don't think so. It means she is prepared to develop his ideas on the backstop with him for a second go with her deal but she'll only do that if her deal is voted down this evening. Why would he vote for it?

I must say he seemed very pleased with her response and looked approvingly back at his colleagues almost with a wink.
    Like everyone else he has to judge who might replace her and whether that is likely to be more or less amenable to his point of view. I still think it is her future that is at stake here.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095

The fond farewell?
  • Options

The "you did your best" pity applause.
  • Options
    It's amazing to reflect that after the last few years of hatred and division Theresa May tonight has united the House of Commons and the wider country.

It is disturbing to reflect she has done so by delivering on their instructions, getting an extremely good deal that actually should satisfy most requirements, and the had them all shout that this isn't what they wanted.

What does that say about us as a nation?
  • Options
    Anazina said:

Anazina said:

Anazina said:

Anazina said:

Apologies.

Glad to hear it.

Flame over!
    Cheers. Have a good evening.
  • Options
    Amazing to think that by bed time Parliament will have decided once and for all whether it's pronounced Breggsit or Brecksit.
  • Options

Anazina said:

Anazina said:

Anazina said:

Apologies.

Our local paper did that last year for all of the council election candidates.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,152

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Barnesian said:

+1
    +1
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,503

Anazina said:

Anazina said:

Anazina said:

Apologies.

I find the nuances in personal literature between the items included by the candidate vs the party manifesto quite useful.

For instance, I could vote for Nicky Morgan, but not for Andrew Bridgen, though they nominally are in the same party in adjacent constituencies.

I also like to see some effort made for my vote. If a candidate cannot be arsed to get a leaflet through my door, I cannot be arsed to vote for them.
  • Options
    All four amendments plus the MV itself are going to fail this evening aren't they.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

It says we as a nation don't take kindly to people who decide for us what we want, without bothering to ask us, and then try to blackmail us into supporting it.
  • Options

Amazing to think that by bed time Parliament will have decided once and for all whether it's pronounced Breggsit or Brecksit.

I would say my feelings on the state of our democracy are more at the Bricksit stage.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,011

I don't remember anyone pronouncing Grexit "Greggsit" back when it was a thing.
  • Options
    This is going quickly...
  • Options
    Going straight to vote, nearly
  • Options
    Theresa May is at her absolute worst when she starts demanding people "come together".
  • Options

Ooh she's gone all creaky.

She thinks it's all over.

It was not her worst speech, you rarely hear that level of passion from her.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

It says we as a nation don't take kindly to people who decide for us what we want, without bothering to ask us, and then try to blackmail us into supporting it.
    We were asked, Tim. We had this funny thing called a referendum.
  • Options
    Twit.
  • Options
    Division
  • Options
    Corbyn amendment not moved.
    SNP amendment not moved.
    Leigh amendment not moved.
  • Options

Anazina said:

Anazina said:

Anazina said:

Apologies.

That is all that is necessary - introduce the candidates, the policies and let the voters digest. We do not need fake headlines, fake bar charts. And if a lie is found, the candidate(s) would be forced to issue a constituency/ward wide document retracting the lie and issuing a formal apology.
  • Options
    Pointless ego division.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,011
    Does this mean the meaningful vote will come much earlier than expected?
  • Options

SNP amendment not moved.

Presume they know they will not pass.
  • Options

Yes
  • Options
    ralphmalphralphmalph Posts: 2,201

Yes, next.
  • Options

Anazina said:

Anazina said:

Anazina said:

Apologies.

That is all that is necessary - introduce the candidates, the policies and let the voters digest. We do not need fake headlines, fake bar charts. And if a lie is found, the candidate(s) would be forced to issue a constituency/ward wide document retracting the lie and issuing a formal apology.
    The SNP candidate for Orkney would probably consider that insufficient.
  • Options
    Laura Kuenssberg doing her "unofficial spokesman for the Prime Minister" schtick.
  • Options

Laura Kuenssberg doing her "unofficial spokesman for the Prime Minister" schtick.

Oh give it a rest.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,624

The "you did your best" pity applause.
    Not even that - many in the 100 don't think she tried at all.
  • Options

SNP amendment not moved.

Presume they know they will not pass.
    Nothing will pass. Not the deal, not revoke, not even a vnoc, or a new government.

Which is why no deal is now red hot favourite.
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870

Anazina said:

Anazina said:

Anazina said:

Apologies.

For our Town Council elections, candidates do often share distribution - each taking a stack of the others' leaflets and pushing them through letterboxes together with their own. Everyone seems to have been scrupulously honest so far...
  • Options
    Just a thought - is Onasanya voting tonight?
This discussion has been closed.