Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Last night’s confidence vote points to a pathway to the leader

Comments

• Options

There's NO position which the DUP, once they'd adopted it, would regard as ludicrous. No. None. Never!

No, none, never no more?
  • Options
    Just had a thought...

If May had proposed a 2nd vote a week ago, she would have been brought down by her own MPs.

Now, she cannot be for 12 months.*

Will she surprise us all, at the 11th hour, and roll the dice?

* NB: obviously if most of the Cabinet tell her she is done, then she might still have to go. But she is stubborn (to say the least).

• Options
  • Options
    There were two polls by BMG and ORB that had Leave 10% ahead but they were real outliers.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,207
    I see our wonderful OGH has chosen a photo of Johnson which reinforces my remark from yesterday evening about Boris looking like - and having all the sex appeal - of an overboiled potato.
  • Options
    grabcocquegrabcocque Posts: 4,234
    Don't even fucking look at him.
  • Options
    John_M said:

Boris? I'd rather have a pollock as PM.

If you get Boris, you'll get a pillock as leader.
  • Options

Just had a thought...

Not until the last possible moment, which means she will carry on bustling around Europe on her Futility Tour until at or near the 21st January.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,780
  • Options
    AnazinaAnazina Posts: 3,487

That said, it would be an absolute, inexcusable dereliction of duty if Corbyn and McDonnell and Starmer weren't promising the DUP a moon on a stick right now to peel them off.

Imagine, nailing May with a VONC on the last day of term before Christmas.

At two of those three want a United Ireland and they are so ideologically driven, it won’t occur to them to offer the DUP an olive branch and the DUP wouldn’t believe them if they did.
    I have no doubt Labour are perfectly willing to meet the DUP's demands. It's mostly a question of tactics. Would they give up their vice-like grasp on Mrs May's short and curlies in exchange for a promise of no backstop? A promise they surely know Mr Corbyn cannot meaningfully deliver?
    The only way I can see the DUP backing Labour is to sabotage May’s backstop and make it a straight choice between no deal or no Brexit.
    A Labour government, especially one in hock to the LibDems, Plaid, and the SNP, is not going to go for No Deal under any circumstances, so it would be the current Withdrawal Agreement or Revoke, neither of which the DUP wants. In fact, I don't really see what they do want.
    Ummm, I'm not so sure about that.

May's deal crosses the DUP's only serious red line. Remain, by default, does not. They want to leave, sure, but not if it involves any kind of customs or regulatory border in the Irish Sea.
    Yeah, they might go for Revoke, although they've repeatedly said they want Brexit.
    Yes, but why? What purpose does leaving serve them other than departing catholic countries like France and Italy.

In fact, that must be it.
  • Options

kyf_100 said:

HYUFD said:

I agree, most of the ERG were in that 117 and should get Boris on the final ballot even if a Dealer gets most MPs and he likely wins that final ballot as like Corbyn and unlike May he is much more popular with the party membership than his party's MPs.

Notice May today said she would step down for a new Tory leader by the 2022 general election if Parliament lasts the course but did not rule out leading the party at a snap general election if she loses a VONC in the Commons

Which is why the Tories should have deposed her when they had the chance. 2019 remains the hot favourite for a GE on Betfair and if it happens, they are going into the next GE with a proven voter repellent at the helm.

BoJo may be unpopular amongst his colleagues and the PB cognoscenti, but I think he has a better chance of beating Corbyn in a GE.
    Have the odds on an early general election shortened in the last 48 hours? They should have,

All it takes now is for
    - the DUP to fail to support the Government in a VONC, in the hope that (despite her comments today) May will then be persuaded to fall on her sword and be replaced by a new Tory leader they can back to form a new government in the hope of a change of direction
    - May to confound them by preferring to lead the Conservatives into an avoidable GE. The DUP could hardly come back with the tail between their legs and back May in a second vote of confidence within the 14 days period of grace.

Before last night, May could have been forced out by Tory MPs and that scenario averted. Now she is her own master (or mistress). This is what you get when a politician treats her own personal political career as being synonymous with the national interest.
    The Lib Dems could offer a temporary confidence and supply agreement in return for a Deal/Remain referendum.
    Would be a clever move.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,001

There's NO position which the DUP, once they'd adopted it, would regard as ludicrous. No. None. Never!

No, none, never no more?
    It's the EU; all based on the Treaty of ROME!!!!!
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    I do love how Brexiteers are utterly impervious to external reality. Absolutely *nothing* that has happened has had any impact on IDS's understanding of political reality.

https://twitter.com/SkyNewsBreak/status/1073126345432027136

On a related note, why exactly is Brexit now being driven almost entirely by baseball analogies?
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382
    HYUFD said:

kyf_100 said:

HYUFD said:

I agree, most of the ERG were in that 117 and should get Boris on the final ballot even if a Dealer gets most MPs and he likely wins that final ballot as like Corbyn and unlike May he is much more popular with the party membership than his party's MPs.

Notice May today said she would step down for a new Tory leader by the 2022 general election if Parliament lasts the course but did not rule out leading the party at a snap general election if she loses a VONC in the Commons

Which is why the Tories should have deposed her when they had the chance. 2019 remains the hot favourite for a GE on Betfair and if it happens, they are going into the next GE with a proven voter repellent at the helm.

BoJo may be unpopular amongst his colleagues and the PB cognoscenti, but I think he has a better chance of beating Corbyn in a GE.
    I think May v Corbyn next time could be a repeat of February 1974 but Boris v Corbyn a repeat of 2015
    Yes I agree that would be my best assessment.

If May went early , it would be similar to Heath.
    Who governs ?

The answer not you,

In contrast Boris could beat Corbyn , with an up beat message, even if parts of it are drivel.

• Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Cyclefree said:

I see our wonderful OGH has chosen a photo of Johnson which reinforces my remark from yesterday evening about Boris looking like - and having all the sex appeal - of an overboiled potato.

Do politicians need sex appeal? The last truly sexy PM was, according to Edwina Curie, John Major.
  • Options
    EUCO has agreed to to make the EU's sanctions against Russia indefinite.

https://twitter.com/eucopresident/status/1073271138376126465

I'm glad EUCO has something important to talk about, not just rustle paper paper clips for Mrs May's amusement.
  • Options
    I’m not sure DSOS&ASS Boris Johnson would win the members even if he got there.
  • Options
    These people in and around the ERG are f*cking crazy - insane in the membrane
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,011

He would as most members want pure Brexit now and he would be up against a Dealer if he got to the last two
  • Options
    I know that people working for Vote Leave said the biggest shift to Remain in the last week of the campaign was Farage's Breaking Point poster and Farage's media performances thereafter.
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    Hoepfully by the next referendum, Farage will be serving a lengthy sentence at His Mueller's pleasure.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Cyclefree said:

Do politicians need sex appeal? The last truly sexy PM was, according to Edwina Curie, John Major.
    You do not need it as much as charisma or gravitas though some have it e.g. Kurz, Trudeau, JFK, Thatcher and Blair on a good day
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

He would as most members want pure Brexit now and he would be up against a Dealer if he got to the last two
    I think we are getting to the point where the ERG are now the UK equivalent of the Tea Party. Delusional.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

Cyclefree said:

You do not need it as much as charisma or gravitas though some have it e.g. Kurz, Trudeau, JFK, Thatcher and Blair on a good day
    I mean, I'd bang Dom Raab (as long as he promised not to speak) but I'd never vote for him.
  • Options
    Yorkcity said:

HYUFD said:

kyf_100 said:

HYUFD said:

I think May v Corbyn next time could be a repeat of February 1974 but Boris v Corbyn a repeat of 2015
    Yes I agree that would be my best assessment.

If May went early , it would be similar to Heath.
    Who governs ?

The answer not you,

In contrast Boris could beat Corbyn , with an up beat message, even if parts of it are drivel.

I agree, Boris is the only Tory I can see winning a majority against Corbyn but then again I do not think Corbyn could win a majority against any Tory either bar Gove or maybe Hunt
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,264

HYUFD said:

I think we are getting to the point where the ERG are now the UK equivalent of the Tea Party. Delusional.
    Well, TSE has suggested throwing them in the Irish Sea, which is on the way to Boston Harbour...
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

Cyclefree said:

Thatch seemed to give a certain type of bloke the horn, eg Alan Clark & Kingsley Amis (& possibly my dad).
  • Options

No, none, never no more?
    Will I play the wild Leaver?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Well, TSE has suggested throwing them in the Irish Sea, which is on the way to Boston Harbour...
    Trebuchet, not throw. Much better range and you could do them in batches.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

Cyclefree said:

I mean, I'd bang Dom Raab (as long as he promised not to speak) but I'd never vote for him.
    Sounds like your name is not too far from the mark then!
  • Options

No, none, never no more?
    Will I play the wild Leaver?
    This is more like Seven Drunken Nights.
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    Very few people have the raw sexual energy of our very own JohnO. A human Tsunami of sexuality.

He uses to great effect I hear on Surrey Council.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,001

HYUFD said:

Frightening, though. Think about it. What if Bojo wins with No Deal Brexit.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

Cyclefree said:

Thatch seemed to give a certain type of bloke the horn, eg Alan Clark & Kingsley Amis (& possibly my dad).
    Alan Clark got the horn for every female between the ages of fourteen and fifty. I don't think he's a good example.
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503

I know that people working for Vote Leave said the biggest shift to Remain in the last week of the campaign was Farage's Breaking Point poster and Farage's media performances thereafter.

I always felt (though with no evidence) that having forced the referendum, Farage should have fucked off for the duration of the campaign and the margin would have been considerably greater. His acolytes are true believers, so it wouldn't have mattered, but everytime he opens his gob he alienates swing voters.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Yes but the Tea Party paved the way for Trump of course
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

You are obsessed with Boris, and underestimate the members.

They want a good PM and winner first. It isn’t all about Brexit.

Even if it was Boris is totally untrustworthy.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Very few people have the raw sexual energy of our very own JohnO. A human Tsunami of sexuality.

What the actual F***?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

A frighteningly accurate insight, as HYUFD warns us, it's what comes next that is really scary.
  • Options
    We reach that amusing point in every EUCO where Mrs May is politely asked to go and sit in a corridor whilst the EU27 talk about her, not to her.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Frightening, though. Think about it. What if Bojo wins with No Deal Brexit.
    Being in the Conservative party helps legitimise their behaviour (and the general insanity of 20-30 of them, in particular).
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

Cyclefree said:

Mother and said Thatcher had perfect ankles
  • Options
    Utterly deranged. No matter how stark raving bonkers one fears they are, they turn out to be even worse.
  • Options

If that’s true then that would have been exacerbated by the murder as well.

I think there was probably a small effect but mainly it was swingback to the status quo.
  • Options

And that's a disadvantage in the age of Corbyn, Trump, Selmayr, Orban, Putin...how exactly?
  • Options
    John_M said:

I always felt (though with no evidence) that having forced the referendum, Farage should have fucked off for the duration of the campaign and the margin would have been considerably greater. His acolytes are true believers, so it wouldn't have mattered, but everytime he opens his gob he alienates swing voters.
    To play devils advocate, he probably helped his cause because he provoked some Remainers into hysterics. That picture of Geldof on a boat was worth a few votes I am sure.
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215
    ydoethur said:

Jonathan said:

What the actual F***?
    The Never Ending Love Machine of Hersham.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Cyclefree said:

Both Tony Blair and David Cameron had sex appeal at the start.

Bizarrely, for reasons I’ve never quite understood, so did Ed Miliband.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

You are obsessed with Boris, and underestimate the members.

They want a good PM and winner first. It isn’t all about Brexit.

So are many who win elections
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Cyclefree said:

Well, they don't appear to have any brains or common-sense or knowledge of history or strategy or ability to persuade.

So we may as well judge them on their f***ability.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Jonathan said:

What the actual F***?
    They call him the Blue Barry White apparently.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

A frighteningly accurate insight, as HYUFD warns us, it's what comes next that is really scary.
    Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

They say HYUFD himself is a raging Adonis of pure masculine beauty. Even the trees of Epping Forest grow weak in his presence.
  • Options
    JohnO said:

ydoethur said:

Jonathan said:

What the actual F***?
    Have you notched up a King's Ton yet?
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Cyclefree said:

Though that was a very niche taste, Corbyn was apparently once called 'the sexpot Trot' as Diane Abbott clearly discovered
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    Anazina said:

Utterly deranged. No matter how stark raving bonkers one fears they are, they turn out to be even worse.
    Andrew Lilico is a very loosely grouped collection of opinions. I once sat next to him on a bus, and this is what struck me about him. They're all just blurry semi-opinions. A stream of half-formed, disconnected ideas.

There's nothing approaching coherent thought, principle, ideology, guiding philosophy or unifying ethic. It's just a stream of consciousness masquerading as opinions.
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    ydoethur said:

JohnO said:

ydoethur said:

Jonathan said:

What the actual F***?
    Um, modesty forbids....

I’ve just got the dreadful pun (I may possess a lithe, sumptuous body, but not so well endowed in the cerebral department - I blame Balliol.)

• Options
    Anazina said:

Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

They say HYUFD himself is a raging Adonis of pure masculine beauty. Even the trees of Epping Forest grow weak in his presence.
    Saplings certainly...
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    It's almost like he's unaware the EU's economy is 6x larger than ours.

• Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,796
    Jonathan said:

It's not that implausible: Major is 6 foot tall. People bang on about sexual attractiveness but the truth is a good haircut, good skincare, good clothing, good teeth and a trim body are usually enough. And if you're in a powerful job, so much the better. I usually advance Nancy Dell'Olio's relationship with football manager and dormouse impersonator Sven-Göran Eriksson as proof of this.

Pause.

#accidentalpartridge

:(

• Options

Jonathan said:

Cyclefree said:

See my remarks above.
  • Options

I do love how Brexiteers are utterly impervious to external reality. Absolutely *nothing* that has happened has had any impact on IDS's understanding of political reality.

• Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870

Anazina said:

Andrew Lilico is a very loosely grouped collection of opinions. I once sat next to him on a bus, and this is what struck me about him. They're all just blurry semi-opinions. A stream of half-formed, disconnected ideas.

There's nothing approaching coherent thought, principle, ideology, guiding philosophy or unifying ethic. It's just a stream of consciousness masquerading as opinions.
    He's the poor man's Milo.

Except less funny and, sadly, less bankrupt.
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    Cyclefree said:

Jonathan said:

Cyclefree said:

Well, they don't appear to have any brains or common-sense or knowledge of history or strategy or ability to persuade.

Mrs Thatcher was a raging beauty in her youth.
  • Options
    Andrew said:

I agree with him but May wouldn’t do that. She is scared of the EU.
  • Options
    Andrew said:

He has form on reimagining the reality:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/pressreleases/stories/2002/12_december/19/newsnight_ids_cv.shtml
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Anazina said:

Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

Saplings certainly...
    Presumably an Andrew Adonis of pure asculine.....
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

And that's a disadvantage in the age of Corbyn, Trump, Selmayr, Orban, Putin...how exactly?
    On the contrary: I “trust” Corbyn and Trump to do precisely what they say.

I wouldn’t trust Boris with a shopping bag.

The hard Brexiteers who are dealing with him would be sold out by him in second if he felt it might further his career.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Cyclefree said:

Ed Miliband has a sense of humour. Men underestimate its appeal.

Tony Blair: just no. Too many teeth. Reminds one of a weasel.

Cameron: the sort of boy your mother likes. But I'm allergic to smooth public school City types.

Osborne, I am told, is much nicer in private than his public image would suggest. I'd take an evening with him (talking - no sniggering at the back, please) over Cameron.

Corbyn can probably be charming.

With most of the rest of them you wonder how they managed to persuade anyone to have sex with them once let alone marry and procreate.
  • Options
    ralphmalphralphmalph Posts: 2,201

Anazina said:

Big Red Bus slogan on the side? Something you want to tell us? Are you a 5th columnist planted by leave acting as a totally demented remainer to further the leave cause?
  • Options
    John_M said:

Cyclefree said:

Jonathan said:

Cyclefree said:

I wouldn't go that far.

• Options
    ydoethur said:

The hard Brexiteers who are dealing with him would be sold out by him in second if he felt it might further his career.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,626
    For a politician with sex appeal look no further than my avatar

<-------
  • Options
    John_M said:

Cyclefree said:

Jonathan said:

Cyclefree said:

And she knew it. And flirted. There's an early interview of her - she may have been Leader of the Opposition - when she was blatantly flirting with the interviewer, all fluttering eyelids and the rest and he was falling for it.
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    Cyclefree said:

Osborne, I am told, is much nicer in private than his public image would suggest. I'd take an evening with him (talking - no sniggering at the back, please) over Cameron.

Something happened to Osborne. He was never good looking, and then one day, he just... was.

• Options
    ralphmalphralphmalph Posts: 2,201

ydoethur said:

I can remember watching This Week and Andrew Neil asked the sofa guests one word to describe various politicians. Portillo's answer to Boris was "Betrayal. He will stab you in the back with a blink of the eye."
  • Options
    JohnO said:

ydoethur said:

Jonathan said:

What the actual F***?
    Esher good
    Esher good
    Eben-Esher-Good!
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Jonathan said:

Cyclefree said:

Cameron: the sort of boy your mother likes. But I'm allergic to smooth public school City types.

With most of the rest of them you wonder how they managed to persuade anyone to have sex with them once let alone marry and procreate.
    I see many people daily who have kids or are clearly married where I struggle to understand why (and how) anyone would ever get excited enough to have sex with them.

But, they exist. And they do.
  • Options

John_M said:

Cyclefree said:

Jonathan said:

Cyclefree said:

I wouldn't go that far.

She looked OK :)
  • Options

<-------</p>

Nobody is immune to the charms of Yanis.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

John_M said:

Cyclefree said:

Jonathan said:

Cyclefree said:

And she knew it. And flirted. There's an early interview of her - she may have been Leader of the Opposition - when she was blatantly flirting with the interviewer, all fluttering eyelids and the rest and he was falling for it.
    What was that Mitterrand quote about Thatcher?

Mouth of Marilyn Monroe and the eyes of Caligula?
  • Options
    JohnO said:

HYUFD said:

Anazina said:

Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

Saplings certainly...
    Presumably an Andrew Adonis of pure asculine.....
    Something like that
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,626

John_M said:

Cyclefree said:

Jonathan said:

Cyclefree said:

I wouldn't go that far.

I'm starting to worry about you, Sunil!
  • Options

Just had a thought...

Not until the last possible moment, which means she will carry on bustling around Europe on her Futility Tour until at or near the 21st January.
    It's going to be a very long year...
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,134

<-------</p>

Or his British counterpart Vince Cable.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Jonathan said:

Cyclefree said:

I see many people daily who have kids or are clearly married where I struggle to understand why (and how) anyone would ever get excited enough to have sex with them.

But, they exist. And they do.
    Perhaps they employ the services of a fluffer....
  • Options
    Young Gordon Brown was... well:

• Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited December 2018

I not sure Elon Musk would have been quite as successful with the ladies if he hadn't become a billionaire,

• Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256

I recognise the chin...
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Jonathan said:

Problem is, it doesn't scale. Some of the beautiful women and handsome men have very ugly opinions, and some of the plain and ugly are kindly and wise.

I was at this point going to compile a list of attractive politicians and crossreferenece against sanity of thought, but it'd take me all night... :(

• Options

Cyclefree said:

John_M said:

Cyclefree said:

Jonathan said:

Cyclefree said:

What was that Mitterrand quote about Thatcher?

Mouth of Marilyn Monroe and the eyes of Caligula?
    Yes. "She has the eyes of Caligula but the mouth of Marilyn Monroe".

Thatcher had a soft spot for him too.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Cyclefree said:

Jonathan said:

Problem is, it doesn't scale. Some of the beautiful women and handsome men have very ugly opinions, and some of the plain and ugly are kindly and wise.

I was at this point going to compile a list of attractive politicians and crossreferenece against sanity of thought, but it'd take me all night... :(

Given how few attractive ones there are, about half an hour should do it, I'd have thought.
  • Options
    JohnO said:

ydoethur said:

JohnO said:

ydoethur said:

Jonathan said:

What the actual F***?
    Um, modesty forbids....

I’ve just got the dreadful pun (I may possess a lithe, sumptuous body, but not so well endowed in the cerebral department - I blame Balliol.)
    I blame Balliol for many things, including Lord Peter Wimsey and a total inability to appreciate my awesome puns.

You may stand upon a red hill of infamy, although you may need to Kew.
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    This is always the best time to remind people that young Stalin was a stone-cold absolute 10/10 hottie.

• Options
    edited December 2018

John_M said:

Cyclefree said:

Jonathan said:

Cyclefree said:

I wouldn't go that far.

I'm starting to worry about you, Sunil!
    Really?

Most of us have been worried for some time! :smile:
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,665

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

Cyclefree said:

Was there ever a woman, 8 to 80, who didn't give Alan Clark the horn, the priapic old goat?
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    Greetings from Goettingen. Boris would be a disastrous PM....unthinkable..
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256
    Cyclefree said:

:+1:

Blair always struck me as sweaty and there is nothing appealing about that.
This discussion has been closed.