Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Mrs. May survives the day getting cabinet backing for the deal

Comments

• Options
    currystarcurrystar Posts: 1,171
    Now the deal has been published, do we think that Labour will still oppose it given that it does seem a reasonable deal and that their six tests are just nonsense
  • Options
    currystar said:

Now the deal has been published, do we think that Labour will still oppose it given that it does seem a reasonable deal and that their six tests are just nonsense

Their six tests are designed to show whatever they want. read literally they contradict Corbyn because the only outcome they allow is remain
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,321
    http://www.twitter.com/Simon4NDorset/status/1062807934659379200
    If this reaction is typical there is reason for some optimism.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,290
    If this deal were to pass, could Corbyn introduce exchange controls?

I) Post March 2019
    2) Post December 2020
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,898
    I'm sure everyone can agree at least that the most riveting of the sections of the draft by far (so far at least) are those dealing with administrative cooperation.
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979
    I think the Brexiteers have waited for this all along to get a No deal Brexit. They may have miscalculated though!
  • Options
    Tory Brexiteers are all mouth and no trousers. Talk tough then meekly comply. Not once have they stood up to May but instead, they have allowed her to meekly surrender to the EU. No Cabinet resignations today, no letters in to Graham Brady - what a useless bunch.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:
    Worst deal in history was surely Lando Calrissian caving into Darth Vader's demands on Cloud city?
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,610
    If the deal passes we've got the election won IMO. Even if it's not ideal.
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    currystar said:

Yes they will oppose, because there is no political advantage to not opposing. They think a Labour government can come of this, which would be a net positive for the country.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    A lo, she lead them to BINO and they did meekly drink.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,755
    ydoethur said:

Mortimer said:

Just reached NI section. So far, I don’t see anything that really chafes.

It’s going to pass.

Of course, we haven't considered one scenario. We've spoken of Sinn Fein taking their seats to back Corbyn. What if they panic and take the oath to back this deal, which for them is an excellent deal?

The irony would be delicious and the effect on both the Tories and Labour cataclysmic...
    You are admirably mischievous.

• Options
    I genuinely am reviewing my consideration of May.
  • Options
    I'm claiming a win from my Sep 28th thread header:

"There’s not that much value in me opining what the final deal will be, though I still think it’s likely that there will be one, probably fudged somewhere between Chequers and Canada. I wouldn’t be sitting too comfortably if I were the DUP – since the deal is quite likely to need some cross-party backing (or abstention) anyway, what’s finding another 10 votes?"
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    currystar said:

The question is not whether Corbyn opposes it, because he will. Reflexively. It's what he does, and as he doesn't have a basic grasp of what's at stake he won't know what damage he would be doing by voting it down.

The question is, if he whips the vote do his MPs break ranks? That's the imponderable part.

If McDonnell were in charge I think he'd whip abstention. That would be the cakeist approach they've pursued all along with their empty slogans and meaningless Tests. It would allow them to deliver Brexit, show how split the government is, and say to their Remain-leaning supporters, 'Sorry, but think how much worse it could have been.' It is the smart move.

But does Corbyn have the nouse to see it? I'm doubtful.
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,962
    edited November 2018
    viewcode said:

D'y'know, it's amazing. Our happy little band encompasses hard Remain to hard Leave, but everybody seems happy with this deal. It's only the f*****g politicians who seem to have a problem with it.

I'm happy with the deal, for the reasons RoyalBlue gives. Ultimately for most people Brexit was about ending freedom of movement rather than more obscure points about sovereignty. If freedom of movement is over, we've taken back control over our borders, even if we haven't taken back control of everything.

Importantly for me by agreeing a deal we're a) avoiding a cliff edge no deal Brexit that would cause enormous damage to the economy and b) firmly out of the superstate project, even if it seems like a BINO to some (remember how, two years ago, remainers told us that an EU army was a barmy leaver fantasy...)

If this deal goes through we're out. Rejoice.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985
    Alistair said:

Up or down?

Not been keeping track of things today - how has the text been received?
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    Reading all this legalese I am beginning to understand at last why so many coworkers (and PBers) have been seemingly frustrated with my tendency toward excessively long, overly punctuated sentences that last an entire long paragraph.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

currystar said:

Yes they will oppose, because the there is no political advantage to not opposing.
    I think that there will be. They will have to explain their opposition and that will be totally unconvincing so may voters will conclude hat they are playing party politics or simply obsessed with getting teh Messiah into number 10.
  • Options
    kyf_100 said:

viewcode said:

D'y'know, it's amazing. Our happy little band encompasses hard Remain to hard Leave, but everybody seems happy with this deal. It's only the f*****g politicians who seem to have a problem with it.

I'm happy with the deal, for the reasons RoyalBlue gives. Ultimately for most people Brexit was about ending freedom of movement rather than more obscure points about sovereignty. If freedom of movement is over, we've taken back control over our borders, even if we haven't taken back control of everything.

Importantly for me by agreeing a deal we're a) avoiding a cliff edge no deal Brexit that would cause enormous damage to the economy and b) firmly out of the superstate project (remember how, two years ago, remainers told us that an EU army was a barmy leaver fantasy...)

I think we’ll find that come the final deal freedom of movement will be replaced by movement that is free!

• Options
    ydoethur said:

currystar said:

The question is not whether Corbyn opposes it, because he will. Reflexively. It's what he does, and as he doesn't have a basic grasp of what's at stake he won't know what damage he would be doing by voting it down.

The question is, if he whips the vote do his MPs break ranks? That's the imponderable part.

If McDonnell were in charge I think he'd whip abstention. That would be the cakeist approach they've pursued all along with their empty slogans and meaningless Tests. It would allow them to deliver Brexit, show how split the government is, and say to their Remain-leaning supporters, 'Sorry, but think how much worse it could have been.' It is the smart move.

This is TMays best chance. Say 220-250ish Tory ayes, 150-200 noes and a good chunk of Labour abstentions.
  • Options

kyf_100 said:

viewcode said:

Importantly for me by agreeing a deal we're a) avoiding a cliff edge no deal Brexit that would cause enormous damage to the economy and b) firmly out of the superstate project (remember how, two years ago, remainers told us that an EU army was a barmy leaver fantasy...)

I think we’ll find that come the final deal freedom of movement will be replaced by movement that is free!

Nah, we'll be charged for it.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Reading all this legalese I am beginning to understand at last why so many coworkers (and PBers) have been seemingly frustrated with my tendency toward excessively long, overly punctuated sentences that last an entire long paragraph.

Don’t blame lawyers, blame the lawyers.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
    https://twitter.com/BBCBusiness/status/1062816117192830976

I hope to enjoy reading any political diaries from November 2018, assuming they ever get published.

At the moment BBC claim that the £ has risen. Given the closeness of that referendum vote, and last year's General Election result it is hard to see how a hard Brexit would have been possible. However, The Tory Party can still show that it is essentially the stupid party, though some of the more stupid MPs might still think twice if the answer to the question who will succeed Theresa May is Jeremy Corbyn.
  • Options
    Any politicians trying to derail this, and putting us at risk of No Deal, will be harshly judged at the next GE - so its only for the real headbangers (JRM et al) and people who fancy being next Tory Leader (B Johnson).

Expect most Tories to fall in line, DUP to oppose or abstain, enough Blue Labbers to get it over the line.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

currystar said:

This is TMays best chance. Say 220-250ish Tory ayes, 150-200 noes and a good chunk of Labour abstentions.
    Ultimately, if Labour abstain the deal goes through.

If they support it, it goes through.

If they oppose it - and I think they're just mad enough to - it falls, and we crash out.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,951
    MaxPB said:

Agreed.

Useful prevention of state aid for four years following transition too. Ties any future McMao’s hands in the near term.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

currystar said:

Abstention cannot be acceptable in this circumstance. One cannot absent themselves from a decision this critical.
  • Options
    currystarcurrystar Posts: 1,171
    kle4 said:

currystar said:

Yes they will oppose, because there is no political advantage to not opposing. They think a Labour government can come of this, which would be a net positive for the country.
    I'm not sure, there is lots for them to like in this deal
  • Options
    RobD said:

Alistair said:

Up or down?

Not been keeping track of things today - how has the text been received?
    My totally unbiased view

https://twitter.com/TSEofPB/status/1062810905690415114
  • Options
    Alistair said:

The symbolism of leaving is so important. That and a bit of tinkering with FoM will satisfy most Leave voters, even though the loons will continue to howl.

• Options
    ralphmalphralphmalph Posts: 2,201
    ydoethur said:

kyf_100 said:

viewcode said:

Nah, we'll be charged for it.
    Many a true word said in jest.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,733
    ydoethur said:

http://www.twitter.com/Simon4NDorset/status/1062807934659379200
    If this reaction is typical there is reason for some optimism.

Tbf Hoare is a loyalist, a Cameroon and a Remainer... If he had doubts the deal would be shafted.
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

currystar said:

Abstention cannot be acceptable in this circumstance. One cannot absent themselves from a decision this critical.
    So we must assume it is a possibility given Corbyn's notorious moral cowardice and inability to accept responsibility?

But I think he will whip for No. And I don't just say that because of my bet with @TheWhiteRabbit. It's what he does.
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    ydoethur said:

viewcode said:

ydoethur said:

We've spoken of Sinn Fein taking their seats to back Corbyn. What if they panic and take the oath to back this deal, which for them is an excellent deal?

Sinn Fein won't sit.

You have to walk to vote, so they wouldn't have to sit.

(Yes, seriously, I know. I was being mischievous. It would be the funniest thing in politics since John Prescott was caught with his trousers down.)
    Well even if you exclude all the quasi-religious bollocks about swearing oaths and the legitimacy of the British parliament over part of Ireland, this might be a great deal for Ireland and Northern Ireland and the people thereof, but from SF's point of view, the most likely way to get a united Ireland is for the UK to leave with no deal, suffer an economic collapse and have the people of NI vote to rejoin the EU through uniting with Ireland.

I would say it's slightly more likely that they'd take their seats to vote against the deal.
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092
    ydoethur said:

currystar said:

Isn't this totally different to what we've heard? I thought Corbyn floated supporting May's deal, and his inner circle, including McDonnell and Abbott, had to talk him out of it
  • Options
    Corbyn and McDonnell aren't going to want to wait 3.5 years for their shot at power - who knows what happens during that period - including them personally getting older.

They want one definite shot - so they want that shot ASAP.
  • Options
    AnazinaAnazina Posts: 3,487
    welshowl said:

Can’t see why any non-idelogical Remainer wouldn’t back this given the alternative. It’s the softest of soft Brexits.

It’s not far off Labour’s position. Not that Starmer or Corbyn will say so. But they should.
    It basically IS Labour’s position and is soft as shite. Good to see the hardliners on this forum coming round to it!
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460
    kyf_100 said:

viewcode said:

Importantly for me by agreeing a deal we're a) avoiding a cliff edge no deal Brexit that would cause enormous damage to the economy and b) firmly out of the superstate project, even if it seems like a BINO to some (remember how, two years ago, remainers told us that an EU army was a barmy leaver fantasy...)

Quite. Macron and Merkel wittering about Euro Army is a stark reminder. The biggest whopper of the referendum for me was the implication that Remain was the status quo. It wasn’t. The EU army was poo poohed as I recall at the time. Now we have the German Chancellor endorsing it, and the President of France saying it might be needed to fight the USA.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

currystar said:

If they oppose it - and I think they're just mad enough to - it falls, and we crash out.
    And Labour are F****d if they do
  • Options
    Alistair said:

The chances of this getting through the Commons are absolutely negligible.

Were the ERG to think that there is a chance of a Commons majority for May's deal, then the letters would go in now in a coordinated way. They would have to risk May surviving a no confidence vote.

Much better for the ERG to hold off, let May lose the Commons vote and then immediately force a confidence vote in May's leadership to finish her off.
  • Options
    jonny83jonny83 Posts: 1,261

Tory Brexiteers are all mouth and no trousers. Talk tough then meekly comply. Not once have they stood up to May but instead, they have allowed her to meekly surrender to the EU. No Cabinet resignations today, no letters in to Graham Brady - what a useless bunch.

Fear of a Corbyn government will do that.
  • Options
    A Carmichael on Beeb News flapping his gums, and claiming it won't get through the HoC.

Should pass then.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

currystar said:

And Labour are F****d if they do
    News flash - so are the rest of us.
  • Options
    AnazinaAnazina Posts: 3,487

Has David Mundell not been as good as his word and resigned? Colour me shocked.

Also, isn't this pretty much BINO? Its a fairly soft Brexit.

I'm a right old remainer, but lets just get this over with. The public won't judge politicians kindly for farting about now.

Having said that, McVey is thick and useless, so her resignation would be most welcome.

Indeed, she is a moron. Her departure would be a major bonus of the deal.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,534
    edited November 2018
    Wow

• Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,848
    MikeL said:

Corbyn and McDonnell aren't going to want to wait 3.5 years for their shot at power - who knows what happens during that period - including them personally getting older.

They want one definite shot - so they want that shot ASAP.

Good luck to them.

I want the Tories out at all costs. I'd even vote MRLP to get Con out at this point...
  • Options
    To be clear. The deal is shit. It’s the best available.It will ultimately pass. It will command no legitimacy.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151
    edited November 2018
    viewcode said:

Basically the politicians who wanted Brexit wanted it so they could do Libertarian Pirate Island / Globalism In One Country, but they sold it to the voters on the basis that they could cut immigration. Now TMay's signed up to what the voters thought they were getting, not what the people who planned the whole thing thought they were getting.

Although admittedly it makes the Take Back Control slogan look a bit ridiculous.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095

To be clear. The deal is shit. It’s the best available.It will ultimately pass. It will command no legitimacy.

Why not>??. If its passed in Parliament. Its legit.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,733
  • Options
    Nicky Morgan and a Michael Gove apparently support this.

Which is tragic, becuase otherwise its cast of enemies would be the best possible argument for supporting this deal.
  • Options
    currystar said:

kle4 said:

currystar said:

I'm not sure, there is lots for them to like in this deal
    But as has been speculated, they may well seek to vote down, get in power somehow, then negotiate a deal that is largely similar. To be fair Labour have at least been quite open that their focus is on taking over the government before other considerations.
  • Options
    Good headlines for TM coming out of Europe plus Hammond talking to business tonight

• Options

The poll tax passed Parliament.
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

currystar said:

Or we Remain. If the ECJ has ruled that A50 notifications can be withdrawn.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

MaxPB said:

Agreed.

Useful prevention of state aid for four years following transition too. Ties any future McMao’s hands in the near term.
    That's good - please can you confirm position re exchange controls (if they are covered in the agreement).
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    edited November 2018
    The more the ERG loons scream about the deal, the more likely it is to pass thro the HOC. Loons look more like loons every day.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

MaxPB said:

Agreed.

Seems designed to ensure that Corbyn whips Labour to vote against then.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:
    Clearly this deal needs an extra little Lisbon Treaty on top
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460
    Anazina said:

welshowl said:

Can’t see why any non-idelogical Remainer wouldn’t back this given the alternative. It’s the softest of soft Brexits.

It’s not far off Labour’s position. Not that Starmer or Corbyn will say so. But they should.
    It basically IS Labour’s position and is soft as shite. Good to see the hardliners on this forum coming round to it!
    Michael Collins - the freedom to obtain freedom 😉
  • Options
    I am curious at how some of the dates in the document are arrived at for various things to apply post transition period etc, from 3 months to 9 months, or as in article 140 on outstanding commitments, when an estimate of remaining amounts to be paid can be made (no earlier than 31 Dec 2028).

Still a long way to go - other people read very fast!
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    MikeL said:

Mortimer said:

MaxPB said:

Agreed.

That's good - please can you confirm position re exchange controls (if they are covered in the agreement).
    I read it in my phone in about an hour so not confident I didn’t miss it. But I didn’t see any mention of exchange controls.

Someone on a computer can probably search the doc...
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
    Toyota UK boss on ITV.

https://twitter.com/itvnews/status/1062822975299350529

favours the deal.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,009
    edited November 2018
    I've been out for dinner with my parents - who have come up with what they think is the perfect question for any second referendum.

Do you wish to
    a) Cancel Brexit
    b) re-introduce hanging...

• Options
    ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

currystar said:

So we must assume it is a possibility given Corbyn's notorious moral cowardice and inability to accept responsibility?

But I think he will whip for No. And I don't just say that because of my bet with @TheWhiteRabbit. It's what he does.
    don't worry, I remember

I am pleased it is turning into a very interesting bet
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901

The more the ERG loons scream about the deal, the more likely it is to pass thro the HOC. Loons look more like loons every day.

These Loons are Conservative votes in the HoC. The ones TM relies on to pass bills.
  • Options
    AmpfieldAndyAmpfieldAndy Posts: 1,445
    edited November 2018
    jonny83 said:

Fear of a Corbyn government will do that.
    John McDonnell’s economic illiteracy goes unchallenged. His latest outpouring - collective ownership of all land which has improvershed every economy where it has been tried, went unchallenged by everyone except Guido. If this agreement is all the Tories have to offer the electorate and for which they have abandoned an entire domestic policy agenda, there will be a Labour landslide - despite Corbyn.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,755
    ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Bottom line is, if Brexit's about immigration, then this is a superb deal.

If it's about sovereignty, it's not good, in fact it's bloody awful, but it has the potential to be adapted gradually over time in a less painful manner and is therefore acceptable.

If it's about internal party politics of the Tories, it's an unmitigated fiasco.

If it's to watch Labour and the Liberal Democrats contort on the hook of their own hypocrisy, it's funny.

But the key thing people need to grasp is it is this, or it is leave with no deal. That on its own should be enough for Remainers to support it. And the fact that we are leaving should see Brexiteers by and large accept it.

Yes, the Farages and Blairs and Rees Moggs and Sturgeons will stamp and shout and scream and generally behave like spoiled three year olds. But I think the country will ultimately back it.

If MaxPB and welshowl back it (however reluctantly), I’d guess that means at least three quarters of Brexiteers will.
    And a similar proportion of Remainers.

Can Parliament risk pissing off that many voters ?

They can risk it.

In the same way that England's batsmen can risk playing shots on a turning wicket against a spinner.
    Worked for Buttler and Curran.
    Don’t think there’s anyone in parliament with that kind of skill, though.

• Options

Yes, incorrectly spelled Alistair is right. It is pretty much the best possible version of a shit sandwich. But the only actual options when this started, were No Deal, Remain or Vassal state.
  • Options
    Got to be McVey or Mordaunt?
  • Options
    Wonder how this deal will pass. Corbyn will likely oppose it, Tory Hard Brexiteers definitely will.
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,818
    Having just read it, I'm impressed. May has successfully kicked the can nearly two more years down the road.

I may have got it wrong (I read through very quickly) but it looks like effectively nothing changes until 2021 (including retention of Freedom of Movement, and anyone living here by then has full rights forever), except we (as a country) lose a bunch of rights and authorities over decisions to be made going forwards.

It gives us until then to sort out our future relationship (including NI/Ireland) and if, by July 2020, it looks like we won't get it done in time, we can kick the can yet further down the road by mutual consent.

Brexit means can kicking.
  • Options

Wonder how this deal will pass. Corbyn will likely oppose it, Tory Hard Brexiteers definitely will.
    I think May is underwater, but only slightly.
  • Options

Got to be McVey or Mordaunt?
    She'd say Cabinet if she meant Cabinet, wouldn't she?
  • Options

And the people rejoiced on the streets.

Or some word beginning with r anyways.
  • Options

If it is passed, and I do not think it will be even on a second go, I feel pretty confident in predicting that one or both main parties (at different times perhaps) will spend years talking about how terrible it is, blaming it for everything, without actually seeking to reopen any of it even if they could.

If you say so. It's still dozens of votes against which are not, so far, being countered by dozens of reluctant - 'fine, I'll vote for it I guess' comments from the other side.
  • Options
    TheoTheo Posts: 325

Alistair said:

The symbolism of leaving is so important. That and a bit of tinkering with FoM will satisfy most Leave voters, even though the loons will continue to howl.

End to FoM, end to ECJ, end to CAP, end to CFP, end to service regulations. If that's symbolism, I'm a big fan. The nutcases on both Remain and Leave will be upset but the sensible eurosceptic middle shpuld be very happy. All those criticizingnthe deal can't even find anything specific to bash about it.
  • Options

viewcode said:

Basically the politicians who wanted Brexit wanted it so they could do Libertarian Pirate Island / Globalism In One Country, but they sold it to the voters on the basis that they could cut immigration. Now TMay's signed up to what the voters thought they were getting, not what the people who planned the whole thing thought they were getting.

Although admittedly it makes the Take Back Control slogan look a bit ridiculous.
    This is a superb summary.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

MikeL said:

Mortimer said:

MaxPB said:

Agreed.

I read it in my phone in about an hour so not confident I didn’t miss it. But I didn’t see any mention of exchange controls.

Someone on a computer can probably search the doc...
    Thanks.

Presumably transition to Dec 2020 staying in Single Market would prevent exchange controls up to Dec 2020?

Position after that I don't know - hence my question.
  • Options

Best available deal or not, it has no advantages or merits. Immigration is unresolved; it says nothing about future trade and therefore leaves open whether we will still have to pay for trade but it does tie us to a common rule book over which we have no say and tells NI they don’t count.

Difficult to see how no deal could be worse.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Indeed.

viewcode said:

Spot on.
  • Options
    The more the usual suspects moan, I wonder if silence would have been more ominous for TMay... All the wailing might indicate weakness . Or is that me being too hopeful...
  • Options
    Theo said:

Alistair said:

End to FoM, end to ECJ, end to CAP, end to CFP, end to service regulations. If that's symbolism, I'm a big fan. The nutcases on both Remain and Leave will be upset but the sensible eurosceptic middle shpuld be very happy. All those criticizingnthe deal can't even find anything specific to bash about it.
    I’ve read the deal in full tonight, and the political declaration too.

On balance, I’d vote for it to move us on. It’s a fair compromise.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Yes, incorrectly spelled Alistair is right. It is pretty much the best possible version of a shit sandwich. But the only actual options when this started, were No Deal, Remain or Vassal state.
    Perhaps we could be villeins instead?
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    I am totally nicking Globalism in one Country.
  • Options

Having just read it, I'm impressed. May has successfully kicked the can nearly two more years down the road.

I may have got it wrong (I read through very quickly) but it looks like effectively nothing changes until 2021 (including retention of Freedom of Movement, and anyone living here by then has full rights forever), except we (as a country) lose a bunch of rights and authorities over decisions to be made going forwards.

It gives us until then to sort out our future relationship (including NI/Ireland) and if, by July 2020, it looks like we won't get it done in time, we can kick the can yet further down the road by mutual consent.

Brexit means can kicking.

Yep.

My assumption is that anyone who says ‘it’s BINO’ has neither read the document, nor has any real understanding of what the document pertains to.
  • Options

Best available deal or not, it has no advantages or merits. Immigration is unresolved; it says nothing about future trade and therefore leaves open whether we will still have to pay for trade but it does tie us to a common rule book over which we have no say and tells NI they don’t count.

Difficult to see how no deal could be worse.
    You can have remain if you prefer.
  • Options

Ah.... That's pretty much what I've just posted... Well said
  • Options

I think May is 20-30 votes short at the moment.

I expect it to fail. At least the first time.
This discussion has been closed.