Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Mrs. May survives the day getting cabinet backing for the deal

Comments

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,916
    AndyJS said:

Anazina said:
    If they don't deliver tomorrow they'll be a laughing stock.
    Now now, perhaps they'll wait to see if she comes for the first born before they act.
  • Options
    AnazinaAnazina Posts: 3,487
    Mortimer said:

Anazina said:
    Suspect there will be several withdrawn tonight.
    Nah. The number of letters in Graham Brady Old Lady’s top drawer is a scientific constant: 47.9. Was 47.9 then, is 47.9 now, will forever be 47.9.
  • Options
    TheoTheo Posts: 325

Pulpstar said:

I'll say again, as a remain voting soft Eurosceptic this deal looks like an absolutely fantastic deal. Ok It's not perfect but it's the best we'll ever bloody get.

I wouldn't be surprised if it also swayed a chunk of Remain voters over to the Leave side. Control of immigration, no more CAP, not too much economic damage. The British can't vote on the rules they're following any more, but the voters probably don't believe they had any influence in the first place.
    Exactly. 90% of the benefits of Leave with 70% of the benefits of Remain. This is a Brexit that 70% of the country can embrace.

But unfortunately the 30% of Brexit purists, Europhile loons, Celtic tribalists and partisan Labour hacks hold disproportionate power in parliament. If they force a Hard Left Cliff Edge Brexit the public will never forgive them.
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    edited November 2018
    Andrew said:

Obviously it will become (a bit) easier to predict the closer we get to the vote but as of tonight I suspect it will scrape through by about 10 votes.

Ditto here. They got through cabinet fairly easily, presumably they knew how everyone important would react. I suspect they think they have the numbers in Parliament too, whether courtesy of Labour rebels or abstainers.

It's too early to have a clue. It's all going to depend on the political landscape at the time of the vote; whether Labour think they can force an early GE if they vote against; whether the ECJ will allow an A50 notification withdrawal; whether or not there is a leadership VONC against May.

And if the DUP announce they would vote for no confidence then a Parliamentary VONC and early GE would happen before the Commons even gets to vote on the deal.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Mortimer said:

Pulpstar said:

I'll say again, as a remain voting soft Eurosceptic this deal looks like an absolutely fantastic deal. Ok It's not perfect but it's the best we'll ever bloody get.

I wouldn't be surprised if it also swayed a chunk of Remain voters over to the Leave side. Control of immigration, no more CAP, not too much economic damage. The British can't vote on the rules they're following any more, but the voters probably don't believe they had any influence in the first place.
    I honestly expect this to boost Tory poll ratings by as much as 5%
    Funny coincidence, as I expect it to reduce them by about the same amount!
    I expect TM will get a modest boost
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Locked into food quality syandards. The absolute horror.

Indeed, I was looking forward to a delicious Sunday roast of chlorinated chicken accompanied by a nice Texan Chianti.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,963
    Anazina said:

Mortimer said:

Anazina said:
    Nah. The number of letters in Graham Brady Old Lady’s top drawer is a scientific constant: 47.9. Was 47.9 then, is 47.9 now, will forever be 47.9.
    I think old Brady has the letters, but he's keeping them in his top drawer. May's MVP if you will.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,762
    Anazina said:

Mortimer said:

Anazina said:
    That’s not strictly accurate.
    it is actually the set of all numbers whose sum is less than 48.
  • Options

Nigelb said:
    I noticed on BBC news he said that he would have to "burn some candles tonight" and read the whole thing.

He really is the Member for the 18th century.

He'll probably appear on TV tomorrow and say this agreement has nothing to say on the pressing issue of the Corn Laws.
    Not having read it didn't stop him issuing a letter denouncing it.
    Ridiculous isn't it...
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

No FTA with the US then!
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Anazina said:

Mortimer said:

Anazina said:
    I think old Brady has the letters, but he's keeping them in his top drawer. May's MVP if you will.
    It's not the 48 letters, it's what they represent. If the ERG were to officially stake a position against May that would be different.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,114
    Theo said:

Pulpstar said:

Exactly. 90% of the benefits of Leave with 70% of the benefits of Remain. This is a Brexit that 70% of the country can embrace.

But unfortunately the 30% of Brexit purists, Europhile loons, Celtic tribalists and partisan Labour hacks hold disproportionate power in parliament. If they force a Hard Left Cliff Edge Brexit the public will never forgive them.
    Laughable spin.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Mortimer said:

Pulpstar said:

I would wager ten british pounds - that's right, a whole ten - that she does not.
  • Options
    Another amazing day.

Tomorrow may see 48 letters and resignations but TM still standing, who knows

Time to wish everyone a good nights rest

Good night folks

• Options
    Anazina said:

Pulpstar said:

Indeed, I was looking forward to a delicious Sunday roast of chlorinated chicken accompanied by a nice Texan Chianti.
    Good news, as long as you don't live in NI you may yet.
  • Options

Theo said:

Pulpstar said:

Laughable spin.
    You prefer the spin that is not laughable?
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,352
    Anazina said:

Nick, given it’s this or nothing, we should support it. It keeps us in the CU until the 12th of Never and offers stability to business. It’s the only game in town.

I don't buy the "this or nothing" theory. It's not credible that if the deal is defeated then everyone gives up and we end up with food shortages etc. A second referendum, an election or a further negotiation are all possible consequences.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

From newsnight Its quite clear that much of Labour don’t want to restrict immigration.

The Tories should be banging on the ‘staying in the SM means FoM’ drum every day...

Yes, bang on and on about immigrants and foreigners, has worked in the past.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Anazina said:
    If they don't deliver tomorrow they'll be a laughing stock.
    I think that bird has flown!
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Mortimer said:

Pulpstar said:

I would wager ten british pounds - that's right, a whole ten - that she does not.
    Well I do not bet so I never lose money that way!!!!!
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Pulpstar said:

That I agree with. As I forecast earlier this week, you disagreed then of course...
  • Options
    "I'm only a Cabinet minister" !!!!!
  • Options
    Ah yes, that ancient British tradition - moaning about the John Lewis ad. I also see that Wetherspoons are doing a Christmas pizza that has Brie and cranberry on it. How about that!

• Options
    edited November 2018

Anazina said:

Nick, given it’s this or nothing, we should support it. It keeps us in the CU until the 12th of Never and offers stability to business. It’s the only game in town.

I don't buy the "this or nothing" theory. It's not credible that if the deal is defeated then everyone gives up and we end up with food shortages etc. A second referendum, an election or a further negotiation are all possible consequences.
    But not certainties. What if you, as a theoretical MP again, could not get those things? Labour are within their rights to press for other options, but are making it sound a lot easier than it would be when the risk to doing so are also very very high, and it would be at least to some extent their fault if we do then crash out because they prioritised other options (involving seeking to get into government) over a deal. All very leave campaignery in fact.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,951
    edited November 2018
    Anazina said:

Mortimer said:

Pulpstar said:

That I agree with. As I forecast earlier this week, you disagreed then of course...
    IIRC you were talking about permanent customs union, then. This simply isn’t that...
  • Options
    Iain Dale in Fantasyland
  • Options
    Suits me. I'm not betting on him.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Iain Dale in Fantasyland

From what he said, I saw no evidence that he has read the deal.
  • Options

Suits me. I'm not betting on him.
    I had £4 on him, Oh well
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Anazina said:

Mortimer said:

Anazina said:
    That’s not strictly accurate.
    it is actually the set of all numbers whose sum is less than 48.
    :smiley:
  • Options

Ah yes, that ancient British tradition - moaning about the John Lewis ad. I also see that Wetherspoons are doing a Christmas pizza that has Brie and cranberry on it. How about that!

Somerset Brie?
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,919

Anazina said:

We have 135 DAYS to Brexit day. To get an agreement we have to have a text agreed by the UK government and Barnier, that text has to be voted on and agreed by EuCoun by QMV, then passed to Europarl for a majority vote, the House of Commons and the House of Lords.

I disbelieve with some considerable force that a further negotiation is possible in time.

• Options

Anazina said:

Corbyn has already made clear today he won't support a second referendum. A general election wouldn't clear enough time for further negotiation and get approval from all the parliaments. You are a hard leftist selling snake oil.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Anazina said:

We have 135 DAYS to Brexit day. To get an agreement we have to have a text agreed by the UK government and Barnier, that text has to be voted on and agreed by EuCoun by QMV, then passed to Europarl for a majority vote, the House of Commons and the House of Lords.

I disbelieve with some considerable force that a further negotiation is possible in time.

I expect he is presuming an extension would be asked for and given.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Anazina said:

It isn’t.

Labour just sniff an opportunity for an election. Incidentally, I think they’d get hammered
    If they trigger it by voting against the deal.
  • Options

Anazina said:

I think a second referendum would be even more divisive and horrible than the first, I hate referendums, we shouldn’t have them. An election would return a Tory majority with someone much less sensible than May in charge. A further negotiation will be worse for us, I guess.

Take the deal.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,044
    I love the way that JRM doesn't want Northern Ireland to be different to the rest of the UK.

Except for abortion. Where suddenly it's OK for Northern Ireland to have different rules.
  • Options
    They better hope it doesn't involve a postman delivering letters...
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,763
    The draft political statement - ie the supposed eventual arrangement - is pure Canada, no plus, and very short. I'm not sure whether it's expected to be taken seriously.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Anazina said:

Mortimer said:

Pulpstar said:

IIRC you were talking about permanent customs union, then. This simply isn’t that...
    CU until the 12th of Never.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,737
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Mortimer said:

Pulpstar said:

considering virtually nothing has budged the polls over the last year, I wouldnt expect this to do so either.
  • Options
    rpjs said:

Pulpstar said:

No FTA with the US then!
    So long as most rural seats have Conservative MPs, then a US FTA was always going to be a stretch.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Is it me or is there the most colossal gap between leavers that are prominent in the media with all their free trade and theoretical sovereignty concerns, and leavers in the country that couldn't give a toss about all that and just want sose immigration controls ????

I'm not just talking about the ERG here - media talking heads too.
    Iain Dale just gave a perfect example of what I am on about.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,993
    Theo said:

Anazina said:

Corbyn has already made clear today he won't support a second referendum. A general election wouldn't clear enough time for further negotiation and get approval from all the parliaments. You are a hard leftist selling snake oil.
    Nick is a very fair poster with quite a unique insight as to how the PLP and Parliament works. You won't change many minds here insulting him.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,919
    kle4 said:

viewcode said:

Anazina said:

Which is the problem. This entire bloody Brexit thing has been mutilated by the naive, the mendacious and the Mogg, presuming that some magical combination of things exist that would enable us to have cake, eat cake, not get fat, and never make a bloody decision. Well it's bollocks. The deal's good enough. Sign it and let's get on with our lives, I'm am sick unto death of people twisting on eighteen and looking surprised when it fucks up.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,737
    FF43 said:

The draft political statement - ie the supposed eventual arrangement - is pure Canada, no plus, and very short. I'm not sure whether it's expected to be taken seriously.

Yes, this looks to be a Blind Brexit, with extended BINO Transition to an unknown destination.

Best option on the table, but only in the sense that dysentry is better than cholera.
  • Options
    before or after May did a deal with Corbs?
  • Options
    Don't know if this was commented on but it did amuse me that on bbc news at ten, Larry the cat photo bombed Laura and huw throughout their piece to camera.. Plato would have approved I'm sure...
  • Options
    Good, the people's vote nonsense is heading for defeat.
  • Options
    The insomnia story is great news; previously I used to lie awake at night fretting about the link between insomnia and early death.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

viewcode said:

Anazina said:

Which is probably - but not certainly - true.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,356
  • Options
    AramintaMoonbeamQCAramintaMoonbeamQC Posts: 3,612
    edited November 2018
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Is it me or is there the most colossal gap between leavers that are prominent in the media with all their free trade and theoretical sovereignty concerns, and leavers in the country that couldn't give a toss about all that and just want sose immigration controls ????

Iain Dale knows nowt about owt, nothing new. Most of the talking heads on Newsnight had only read Twitter, by the look of it.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,356
    I really think Chris Grayling should resign. Nothing to do with his views on the agreement. He just should.
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    rcs1000 said:

kle4 said:

viewcode said:

Anazina said:

Which is my problem with anti-dealers in this situation. It's not unreasonable to oppose it - many will for principled reasons- but it is unreasonable to make that opposition seem simple and without risk because of assumptions which may be correct, and may even been probably correct, but do contain elements of significant risk because they are far from certain.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Theo said:

Anazina said:

Nick is a very fair poster with quite a unique insight as to how the PLP and Parliament works. You won't change many minds here insulting him.
    The insult was indeed unnecessary (Nick appears to be an instinctive party loyalist rather than being committed to any particular sliver of the left) - but he does seem to be peddling moonbeams in this case.

• Options
    rcs1000 said:

The insomnia story is great news; previously I used to lie awake at night fretting about the link between insomnia and early death.
    :lol:

Complete coincidence that this story appears just as we are all reading 500 pages of EU WA stuff.
  • Options
    shiney2shiney2 Posts: 672
    edited November 2018
    Theo said:

Anazina said:

Frankly Mr Palmer has a point.

Other options are possible in the time.

What are you running? A "Pick the Lady" variant from a box in Oxford St?
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Anazina said:

The Lords vote has only symbolic effect. The rest - the EU Council, the EP, the Commons and (potentially) some other EU parliaments - could have veto powers.

That said, I don't think the primary problem of a second round of negotiations is the lack of time; the problem - as in the first round, just concluded - is the lack of political space in which a deal can be done.
  • Options
    Kwasi Kwarteng - former Chairman of the Bow Group and ERG member - is in favour of the deal.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

I really think Chris Grayling should resign. Nothing to do with his views on the agreement. He just should.

Indeed Andrea Leadsom and Esther McVey should go - and go now - for similar reasons.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Iain Dale know nowt about owt, nothing new. Most of the talking heads on Newsnight had only read Twitter, by the look of it.
    By their own words: “well I suppose someone will have actually read the agreement...”, etc.
    How they can then pass such definitive judgment on it is a conundrum.

• Options
    Wonder how Corbo and Tezza’s soirée is going? Brandy glasses at (nearly) dawn?
  • Options
    Good news Iain, you can, it's called a second referendum.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

kle4 said:

viewcode said:

Anazina said:

Even if it was true, it would just increase EU leverage, leading to a worse deal.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Iain Dale know nowt about owt, nothing new. Most of the talking heads on Newsnight had only read Twitter, by the look of it.
    By their own words: “well I suppose someone will have actually read the agreement...”, etc.

That's the beauty of being an opinion haver for hire - quick hot take, no substance needed. What a job.
  • Options

Don't know if this was commented on but it did amuse me that on bbc news at ten, Larry the cat photo bombed Laura and huw throughout their piece to camera.. Plato would have approved I'm sure...

Yes, I noticed that. Classic cat behaviour.

All day ITV have had a live stream of the Door, with no sign of him.

But as soon as there is a 500 page document to use as cat tray litter, he's on the spot.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Unfortunately it’s anxiety that’s the killer...
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

That's the beauty of being an opinion haver for hire - quick hot take, no substance needed. What a job.
    It's frustrating because so many of us do it for free!
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Theo said:

Anazina said:

He is a die-hard Corbynite. How is it unreasonable to characterise that as "hard left"? And he IS selling snake oil. That isn't an insult. It's the reality.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

dixiedean said:

Theo said:

Anazina said:

The insult was indeed unnecessary (Nick appears to be an instinctive party loyalist rather than being committed to any particular sliver of the left) - but he does seem to be peddling moonbeams in this case.

Which, by contrast, is entirely fair comment.
  • Options

Anazina said:

It's not a question of giving up; it's a question of what else can be done.

A second referendum cannot deliver a different deal. It either ratifies this one, chucks us out with the hardest of Brexits, or (possibly, if it's legally possible), drops the UK back into the EU, and several million voters back into the lap of UKIP. What it doesn't do is produce a different deal.

Likewise, a general election might well (probably would) produce a different government and they might be able to negotiate a different deal but that only happens if the DUP withdraw C&S, which despite their anger today still seems unlikely given that they can block the deal and still keep the Tories in power in a hung parliament, which is an ideal situation for them.

As for further negotiations, yes, they could and would occur and perhaps the EU might give a little ground somewhere with 'clarifications' as to what the wording means, but nothing of substance is likely to change - certainly nothing sufficient to meet Labour's tests. And then what? It's one thing to vote it down in December but suppose Deal v1.0.1 comes back in February: do you vote it down again, which really would lead to No Deal, or do you accept it, in which case you might as well have done so at the first time of asking.
  • Options
    Remarkably crappy polling for Trump and his re-election prospects:
    https://www.politico.com/story/2018/11/14/poll-trump-2020-reelection-support-990015
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Good news Iain, you can, it's called a second referendum.
    Truth is, he is right. As is Boris and all the others. This is worse than the deal we had carefully arranged with the EU over 40 years.

Hey ho.

These idiots started all this.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,865

Ian's not happy at being sold down the river by Theresa May?
  • Options
    Anazina said:

Jezza claims he doesn't drink. Others disagree.
  • Options

Anazina said:

A second referendum cannot deliver a different deal. It either ratifies this one, chucks us out with the hardest of Brexits, or (possibly, if it's legally possible), drops the UK back into the EU, and several million voters back into the lap of UKIP. What it doesn't do is produce a different deal.

Likewise, a general election might well (probably would) produce a different government and they might be able to negotiate a different deal but that only happens if the DUP withdraw C&S, which despite their anger today still seems unlikely given that they can block the deal and still keep the Tories in power in a hung parliament, which is an ideal situation for them.

As for further negotiations, yes, they could and would occur and perhaps the EU might give a little ground somewhere with 'clarifications' as to what the wording means, but nothing of substance is likely to change - certainly nothing sufficient to meet Labour's tests. And then what? It's one thing to vote it down in December but suppose Deal v1.0.1 comes back in February: do you vote it down again, which really would lead to No Deal, or do you accept it, in which case you might as well have done so at the first time of asking.
    I think you forget that Nick has often emphasised that Jeremy does not particularly care about Brexit, one way or the other. A general election is another matter.

• Options
    Anazina said:

Swapping tales of incompetent rebels and working g out how they can get Brexiteers through :p
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,097
    Mogg on Peston says it is increasingly difficult to distinguish the PM from her policy but he has not submitted a letter asking for a no confidence vote yet
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Anazina said:

Swapping tales of incompetent rebels and working g out how they can get Brexiteers through :p
    Or snoring quietly in their armchairs.

• Options
    edited November 2018
    DavidL said:

Indeed. If one good thing were to come out of Brexit, a long, hard root and branch look at how our system works would be one.
    In particular how the likes of Grayling manage to ascend to Cabinet level.
    Other examples in other Parties are available, and, sadly, all too obvious.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,279
    edited November 2018
    HYUFD said:

Mogg on Peston says it is increasingly difficult to distinguish the PM from her policy but he has not submitted a letter asking for a no confidence vote yet

What a f***ing surprise.

He can never quite find the quill and ink when he thinks he might need it.
  • Options

Anazina said:

May has to make it clear there will be one vote on this deal. If it doesn't pass then it's catastrophe or remain, and if Parliament won't make that choice, it has to go to the people.
  • Options
    To be honest a deal which pleases no one is probably the best outcome now. No triumphalism from either side.
  • Options
    Nick Timothy against the deal
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Anazina said:

I think you forget that Nick has often emphasised that Jeremy does not particularly care about Brexit, one way or the other. A general election is another matter.

True, but that wasn't Nick's point. He said

"I don't buy the "this or nothing" theory. It's not credible that if the deal is defeated then everyone gives up and we end up with food shortages etc"

In truth, it *is* This Deal / No Deal / Remain, as the only options (and Remain is an extreme edge case).

I do see how you get a general election before 29 March but it still seems pretty damn unlikely to me.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

What a f***ing surprise.

He can never quite find the quill and ink when he thinks he might need it.
    https://twitter.com/JordanDavisPoet/status/1061832827451383809
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

It does appear to be annoying all the right people.......
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

I'm tempted to say that now every Tory MP will vote for it.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,865
    They won't need any more "leverage" as we remain the CU forever, or until the EU says we can leave the CU which is the same thing....
  • Options

Anazina said:

Jezza claims he doesn't drink. Others disagree.
    He doesn’t claim that. He drinks occasionally, as does she. Probably worth a tot tonight.
This discussion has been closed.