Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Mrs. May survives the day getting cabinet backing for the deal

Comments

• Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223
    Is the deal perfect? No. Was it ever going to be? No.

In summary, we have exchanged 12% of the votes in determining trade policy, goods regulation and the other ‘level playing field’ items in exchange for 100% control over immigration. In a globalised world, the latter seems like a far more substantive power to me.

Idiots like Rees-Mogg and Sam Wilson might ensure that we don’t get it.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

You could tell from her demeanor (she's an appalling poker player) that it had been a rough afternoon... Yet there she stood still pretending everything was fine and yet with absolutely no conviction or belief in what she was doing... Just like she did when she returned to Downing St. after blowing Cameron's majority.
    I think you may be prejeudiced to be honest
    Is that an admission that sometimes you're not?
    I like to be fair wherever possible
    I did not mean to offend, if I did I apologise.
    You did not offend me to be fair. No need to apologise
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,762
    Sedwill and Smith must have decent pairs of lungs...

• Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,334

Laura Kuenssberg
    ‏Verified account @bbclaurak
    1m1 minute ago

Cabinet did reach a collective position, but certainly not unanimous. I'm told 9 ministers spoke against the agreement - Fox, Hunt, Williamson, Penny Mordaunt, Javid, Leadsom, Evans, Mordaunt and Grayling.

Not Esther? Sounds like fake news.
    Suspect Esther was the 2nd Ms Mordaunt
    Really?! I thought she was banging some stooge of the betting industry.
  • Options
    ReggieCideReggieCide Posts: 4,312
    dyingswan said:

So it is make your mind up time.. If the DUP vote down the deal and precipitate a GE I would like to be the first to wish them every good luck in dealing with PM Jeremy Corbyn and his new Secretary of State for The Six Counties( as henceforth it will be known) Gerry Adams.

"Not another one?"
  • Options

Tony Blair looking distraught.

Is he on the way to the Hague
    He looks as though he's been drinking Haig.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,749
    edited November 2018

Blair promoting a second referendum on Sky.

Just losing thousands of second referendum supporters

I can't see it's worth the risk.

Even if Remain were to be an option on a 2nd ref, and to win (and personally I think that's only a 50/50 chance), Brexit would fester on like an un-lanced boil, UIP resurgent etc.

Best take this soft-Brexit now imo.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Laura Kuenssberg
    1m1 minute ago

Cabinet did reach a collective position, but certainly not unanimous. I'm told 9 ministers spoke against the agreement - Fox, Hunt, Williamson, Penny Mordaunt, Javid, Leadsom, Evans, Mordaunt and Grayling.

I am extremely surprised that Hunt is opposed to this deal or even has reservations about it. The others are just the usual suspects.
    Just signalling reluctance, I guess.

• Options

Is he on the way to the Hague
    Very good!
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

rock, paper, scissors would seem a better choice
    Why don’t you just resign if you can’t back it! It’s a great way to choose a chairperson
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Laura Kuenssberg
    1m1 minute ago

I am extremely surprised that Hunt is opposed to this deal or even has reservations about it. The others are just the usual suspects.
    Just signalling reluctance, I guess.

Positioning for the future.
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578
    ydoethur said:

Laura Kuenssberg
    1m1 minute ago

The behaviour of Hunt, Javid and the other former remainers who know full well that Brexit is a disaster is nauseating, much worse than the ERG who at least have been consistent in their beliefs and held to them over many years, deluded though they are.

It's a sad contrast to the politicians of the past, can you imagine figures such as Michael Foot, Roy Jenkins, Enoch Powell or Edward Heath compromising their deeply held principles to gain short term party advantage? In that era beliefs were sacrosanct and careers were secondary, now it is the other way round and politics is much the poorer for it.
  • Options
    old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238
    Laura Hughes (@Laura_K_Hughes)

Officials close to Cabinet say Esther McVey is “on the brink” of resigning. They added that she was “shouted down” by the Cabinet Secretary Mark Sedwill after demanding Cabinet voted on the deal.
    November 14, 2018
  • Options

Nigelb said:

dodrade said:

Why did they give it the nod then?
    Two theories

1) They know it won't get approved by the Commons

or

2) They know how much carnage there will be in the event of No Deal. A bad deal is better than No Deal.
    2)

... and I suspect quite a few who ‘spoke out against it’ were complaining about specific terms which aren’t fundamental to the agreement.

Leavers have two options - either accept this, grudgingly... or risk a tossup between no deal and a referendum which could cancel Brexit, or result in no deal. No deal might be acceptable to the headbangers, but the retribution from the 80 or 90% of the country who don’t think that way would be severe.

People’s Voters face the same choice - and the likelihood of their desired outcome (a second referendum reversing the Brexit choice) is very, very low - and similar retribution.
    (Although their case for a ranked choice referendum vote over the three options is slightly more justifiable.)

No doubt we’ll find out over the next couple of days just how poor the deal offered is (or isn’t).

This is going to be the awkward bit...
    https://twitter.com/Raphael_Hogarth/status/1062802393971212288
    It's in relation to Northern Ireland. Which seems far enough to me.

Indeed.
    Doesn’t stop its being awkward

• Options

He treated us to all the Bambi specials. The “straight kinda guy-ness”, the quiver in the voice, the pregnant pauses...

Pity everyone stopped listening circa 14 years ago...
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,610
    I've read an executive summary by a junior, not massively in favour, however, I'd still vote for it were I a Tory MP. Brexit is better than Corbyn and no Brexit.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,873
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,883

Laura Kuenssberg
    1m1 minute ago

Mordaunt spoke twice?
    Once as Mcvey
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460
    Yes
    RoyalBlue said:

In summary, we have exchanged 12% of the votes in determining trade policy, goods regulation and the other ‘level playing field’ items in exchange for 100% control over immigration. In a globalised world, the latter seems like a far more substantive power to me.

Yes. Though I can understand Wilson more. It’s a huge ask for them.

Overall if anything it’s a bit better than I was anticipating. Not hanging out the bunting but it’s liveable with.

Better than no deal, from this point, or a second referendum which would engender bitterness lasting years ( we’ve got to implement the firstbone first), and would merely fire the starting gun for rebound three, if Leave lost.
  • Options

Officials close to Cabinet say Esther McVey is “on the brink” of resigning. They added that she was “shouted down” by the Cabinet Secretary Mark Sedwill after demanding Cabinet voted on the deal.
    November 14, 2018

Off you pop then....
  • Options
    Bottom line is, if Brexit's about immigration, then this is a superb deal.

If it's about sovereignty, it's not good, in fact it's bloody awful, but it has the potential to be adapted gradually over time in a less painful manner and is therefore acceptable.

If it's about internal party politics of the Tories, it's an unmitigated fiasco.

If it's to watch Labour and the Liberal Democrats contort on the hook of their own hypocrisy, it's funny.

But the key thing people need to grasp is it is this, or it is leave with no deal. That on its own should be enough for Remainers to support it. And the fact that we are leaving should see Brexiteers by and large accept it.

Yes, the Farages and Blairs and Rees Moggs and Sturgeons will stamp and shout and scream and generally behave like spoiled three year olds. But I think the country will ultimately back it.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Laura Kuenssberg
    1m1 minute ago

I thought it was a secret who voted which way.
    Perhaps it was a secret that it was secret
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,873
    MaxPB said:

I've read an executive summary by a junior, not massively in favour, however, I'd still vote for it were I a Tory MP. Brexit is better than Corbyn and no Brexit.

Where do you stand on BINO followed by Corbyn?

That's where this is going.
  • Options
    Ok so I've got the full 585 pager but is there a, um, higher level summary for those without the scouts speed-reading badge?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,934

Laura Kuenssberg
    1m1 minute ago

And if they don't quit in the morning that means jack squat.

• Options
    currystarcurrystar Posts: 1,171
    Corbyn called this a botched deal earlier. Now people may not like it but I think it's bizarre to call it a botched deal. It does seem to be a much better deal than I thought she would get, especially ending FOM. I wonder if labour will really vote against what will probably be a popular deal with the public.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Laura Kuenssberg
    1m1 minute ago

The behaviour of Hunt, Javid and the other former remainers who know full well that Brexit is a disaster is nauseating, much worse than the ERG who at least have been consistent in their beliefs and held to them over many years, deluded though they are.

It's a sad contrast to the politicians of the past, can you imagine figures such as Michael Foot, Roy Jenkins, Enoch Powell or Edward Heath compromising their deeply held principles to gain short term party advantage? In that era beliefs were sacrosanct and careers were secondary, now it is the other way round and politics is much the poorer for it.
    :+1: x 1000
  • Options
    matt said:

Laura Kuenssberg
    1m1 minute ago

Evans. Who? Mordaunt x2?
    Good Evans?
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    Mr Blue,

"In summary, we have exchanged 12% of the votes in determining trade policy, goods regulation and the other ‘level playing field’ items in exchange for 100% control over immigration."

Have we? Forgive my ignorance but I've not seen anything on any TV channel about FOM.
  • Options

It's a sad contrast to the politicians of the past, can you imagine figures such as Michael Foot, Roy Jenkins, Enoch Powell or Edward Heath compromising their deeply held principles to gain short term party advantage?

Will it spoil your point if I say 'yes?'
  • Options
    I mean, can it really be BINO if freedom of movement ends?
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,951
    Just reached NI section. So far, I don’t see anything that really chafes.

It’s going to pass.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

If it's about sovereignty, it's not good, in fact it's bloody awful, but it has the potential to be adapted gradually over time in a less painful manner and is therefore acceptable.

If it's about internal party politics of the Tories, it's an unmitigated fiasco.

If it's to watch Labour and the Liberal Democrats contort on the hook of their own hypocrisy, it's funny.

But the key thing people need to grasp is it is this, or it is leave with no deal. That on its own should be enough for Remainers to support it. And the fact that we are leaving should see Brexiteers by and large accept it.

Yes, the Farages and Blairs and Rees Moggs and Sturgeons will stamp and shout and scream and generally behave like spoiled three year olds. But I think the country will ultimately back it.

I hope you are right, and I agree.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,919
    MaxPB said:

I've read an executive summary by a junior

I got up as far as about Article 39. You don't pay your junior enough. Give them a bonus... :)

• Options

November 14, 2018

Oh, May, May, why didn't you get rid of her the other day when you had the chance? You lost a Minister of integrity and ability to keep this chancer for a few brief hours. Why, oh why?
  • Options
    currystar said:

Corbyn called this a botched deal earlier. Now people may not like it but I think it's bizarre to call it a botched deal. It does seem to be a much better deal than I thought she would get, especially ending FOM. I wonder if labour will really vote against what will probably be a popular deal with the public.

Criticising the deal could appeal to both leavers and remainers.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,114
    currystar said:

I don’t know why people keep saying it ends FoM. This isn’t the future relationship. FoM will continue throughout an extendable transition.
  • Options
    matt said:

Laura Kuenssberg
    1m1 minute ago

Evans. Who? Mordaunt x2?
    Leader of the Lords
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,353

November 14, 2018

Off you pop then....
    Tantric sex may be fun, but tantric resignations are just tiresome.
  • Options
    welshowl said:

Yes

RoyalBlue said:

Overall if anything it’s a bit better than I was anticipating. Not hanging out the bunting but it’s liveable with.

Better than no deal, from this point, or a second referendum which would engender bitterness lasting years ( we’ve got to implement the firstbone first), and would merely fire the starting gun for rebound three, if Leave lost.
    As a Remainer, I agree. This is probably the best we can hope for given there has not been a sea-change in public opinion re Brexit.

Interesting that most on here, from both sides, seem prepared to accept this and move on.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

It’s going to pass.

Of course, we haven't considered one scenario. We've spoken of Sinn Fein taking their seats to back Corbyn. What if they panic and take the oath to back this deal, which for them is an excellent deal?

The irony would be delicious and the effect on both the Tories and Labour cataclysmic...
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

You could tell from her demeanor (she's an appalling poker player) that it had been a rough afternoon... Yet there she stood still pretending everything was fine and yet with absolutely no conviction or belief in what she was doing... Just like she did when she returned to Downing St. after blowing Cameron's majority.
    I think you may be prejeudiced to be honest
    Is that an admission that sometimes you're not?
    I like to be fair wherever possible
    I did not mean to offend, if I did I apologise.
    You did not offend me to be fair. No need to apologise
    I won't keep this going - chuckle
  • Options
    TheoTheo Posts: 325

currystar said:

I don’t know why people keep saying it ends FoM. This isn’t the future relationship. FoM will continue throughout an extendable transition.
    There is no way Theresa May or any other conservative agrees to extend FoM. Although it is the one part of the single market Corbyn likes.
  • Options

currystar said:

It is much more likely to seriously piss off most of them.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

AndyJS said:

Laura Kuenssberg
    1m1 minute ago

I thought it was a secret who voted which way.
    Perhaps it was a secret that it was secret
    They didn’t have a vote

McVey doesn’t understand how collective responsibility works.

There is a debate and the primus inter pares summarises the consensus

No one votes on the record - makes it far harder to support the consensus
  • Options

currystar said:

A lot of people expected the EU to require freedom of movement in order to unlock the Irish border. We've broken that down and given the UK freedom to agree a long term partnership that reflects that.

There's no overwhelming reason the transition period should continue indefinitely. The EU is against an extension and we'd have to pay into the budget. We probably rather have the backstop for any period between 1 January 2021 and the partnership coming into being. If not then then in a couple of years for plenty of prep.
  • Options
    Varadkar expressing satisfaction with the outcome on Sky News.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,742
    GIN1138 said:
    Presumably Theresa was in the chair.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    So you're a disgruntled cabinet minister. How long after the cabinet meeting can you wait before resigning and still look credible?
  • Options
    Theo said:

currystar said:

There is no way Theresa May or any other conservative agrees to extend FoM. Although it is the one part of the single market Corbyn likes.
    She’s already done it once. At the start of this process it was going to end in 2019.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

If MaxPB and welshowl back it (however reluctantly), I’d guess that means at least three quarters of Brexiteers will.
    And a similar proportion of Remainers.

Can Parliament risk pissing off that many voters ?

• Options
    TheoTheo Posts: 325
    ydoethur said:

Under this deal we get sovereingty for non-economic matters and 80% of economic matters. How is that "bloody awful"?
  • Options
    AnazinaAnazina Posts: 3,487
    Ae
    Mortimer said:

It’s going to pass.

Glad to see you have come around to my way of thinking. Customs Union will bring stability for business, and that’s the main thing.
  • Options

So you're a disgruntled cabinet minister. How long after the cabinet meeting can you wait before resigning and still look credible?

Two hours.

If they're still there at the time the big dailies go to press, they're stuffed if they then resign.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

November 14, 2018

Oh, May, May, why didn't you get rid of her the other day when you had the chance? You lost a Minister of integrity and ability to keep this chancer for a few brief hours. Why, oh why?
    Because dear friend, Theresa may have some good qualities (resilience, a sense of duty, etc.) but she has piss-poor judgement.
  • Options

currystar said:

A lot of people expected the EU to require freedom of movement in order to unlock the Irish border. We've broken that down and given the UK freedom to agree a long term partnership that reflects that.

There's no overwhelming reason the transition period should continue indefinitely. The EU is against an extension and we'd have to pay into the budget. We probably rather have the backstop for any period between 1 January 2021 and the partnership coming into being. If not then then in a couple of years for plenty of prep.
    I think it will become clear that entering into the backstop will represent an economic cliff edge for Great Britain.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

Nigelb said:

dodrade said:

Two theories

or

2) They know how much carnage there will be in the event of No Deal. A bad deal is better than No Deal.
    2)

... and I suspect quite a few who ‘spoke out against it’ were complaining about specific terms which aren’t fundamental to the agreement.

Leavers have two options - either accept this, grudgingly... or risk a tossup between no deal and a referendum which could cancel Brexit, or result in no deal. No deal might be acceptable to the headbangers, but the retribution from the 80 or 90% of the country who don’t think that way would be severe.

People’s Voters face the same choice - and the likelihood of their desired outcome (a second referendum reversing the Brexit choice) is very, very low - and similar retribution.
    (Although their case for a ranked choice referendum vote over the three options is slightly more justifiable.)

No doubt we’ll find out over the next couple of days just how poor the deal offered is (or isn’t).

Ah, so the border is in the sea then.
  • Options

Too late already.
    Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

If MaxPB and welshowl back it (however reluctantly), I’d guess that means at least three quarters of Brexiteers will.

Yes, because they believe pushing for no deal/new deal/remain will piss off fewer voters if they succeed.
  • Options
    currystarcurrystar Posts: 1,171

welshowl said:

Yes

RoyalBlue said:

As a Remainer, I agree. This is probably the best we can hope for given there has not been a sea-change in public opinion re Brexit.

Interesting that most on here, from both sides, seem prepared to accept this and move on.
    Normal people are pragmatic and realise any deal was never going to be perfect.
  • Options
    Charles said:

rock, paper, scissors would seem a better choice
    Why don’t you just resign if you can’t back it! It’s a great way to choose a chairperson
    I'm not that wedded to it now I can see the objections and, no, I'm not in the Cabinet.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

They can risk it.

In the same way that England's batsmen can risk playing shots on a turning wicket against a spinner.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Two hours.

If they're still there at the time the big dailies go to press, they're stuffed if they then resign.
    It took Boris all weekend to realise the words stuck in his mouth.

But tbf that only proves your point!
  • Options

welshowl said:

Yes

RoyalBlue said:

For once weekend polls might be very influential here. If Joe Public is seen to be in tune with many on here and shows big numbers taking the line “it’ll do, move on”, might hopefully concentrate a few minds in the HoC. (Well I can hope!)
  • Options
    edited November 2018

ydoethur said:

November 14, 2018

Because dear friend, Theresa may have some good qualities (resilience, a sense of duty, etc.) but she has piss-poor judgement.
    TBF, my Labour voting sparring partner, that seems a very apt summary.

And I love the pun on what Theresa May have...
  • Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223
    The government needs to be selling this deal 24 hours a day from now until the vote in the Commons. Whatever it takes.

@welshowl - your comment is quite right. Polls could be decisive.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Laura Kuenssberg
    1m1 minute ago

Where do you place JC?
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

I think the line taken by the press will be important. If a majority of the Mail, Express, Sun and Telegrpah support the deal, that will sway a lot of wavering MPs.
  • Options
    welshowl said:

welshowl said:

Yes

RoyalBlue said:

For once weekend polls might be very influential here. If Joe Public is seen to be in tune with many on here and shows big numbers taking the line “it’ll do, move on”, might hopefully concentrate a few minds in the HoC. (Well I can hope!)
    Which minds have you observed in the House?
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Nigelb said:

dodrade said:

Two theories

or

2)

Goods and services will flow freely across the Irish sea.

If you are determined to find a border you will find one. For example if you think compliance with EU state aid rules is a burden, well, that burden will exist in NI but not the rUK. If that's a border it's a border but it's certainly not the central case of a border.
  • Options
    My Westminster source naming raab as well as McVey as being wobbly
  • Options
    D'y'know, it's amazing. Our happy little band encompasses hard Remain to hard Leave, but everybody seems happy with this deal. It's only the f*****g politicians who seem to have a problem with it.
  • Options

currystar said:

I think it will become clear that entering into the backstop will represent an economic cliff edge for Great Britain.
    I think this is just semantics in the end. Whether the "deal" ends FoM or only the PM on 1 January 2021 can "end" it is really neither here nor there.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    viewcode said:

D'y'know, it's amazing. Our happy little band encompasses hard Remain to hard Leave, but everybody seems happy with this deal. It's only the f*****g politicians who seem to have a problem with it.

And to add to the purrs of agreement, I am happy with it.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Two hours.

It took Boris all weekend to realise the words stuck in his mouth.

But tbf that only proves your point!
    Took the Duke of Devonshire even longer than that in 1903. Cost him forty years of carefully nurtured public approbation. Eventually his error of judgement ruined his health and he died a broken man in 1908.
  • Options

Surely he is a man that if he's going should have gone. Moreso that McVey or Mordaunt.
  • Options

Surely he is a man that if he's going should have gone. Moreso that McVey or Mordaunt.
    Yeah I'd have thought so.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Yes, but we care about reality rather than posturing. Nobody votes for us, except for PB Poster of the Year.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,195

currystar said:

Oh dear, if the government can't at the very least say on X date it ends no ifs no buts, then I can't support the deal.
  • Options

Varadkar expressing satisfaction with the outcome on Sky News.

Probably off down O’Donaghue’s for a quick celebratory glass having chatted to the press pack over the road in the Shelbourne. Lol!
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

currystar said:

Oh dear, if the government can't at the very least say on X date it ends no ifs no buts, then I can't support the deal.
    Barnier said it can be extended once.

That suggests a final date - at the latest - of 2022.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

We've spoken of Sinn Fein taking their seats to back Corbyn. What if they panic and take the oath to back this deal, which for them is an excellent deal?

Sinn Fein won't sit.

• Options
    edited November 2018
    viewcode said:

In their slight defence the responsibility of agreeing it or not does fall on them, and I do not doubt that is a heavy burden, albeit one they have willingly taken upon themselves, which puts many of them into internally contradictory positions.

Nevertheless, a lot of them still seem to be coming at this from a position of 'Will this stop/help party x remain/gain in power?' which is despicable. Hating Corbyn or hating the Tories is not something one can just put aside, but cannot be an excuse to vote for or against a deal which otherwise they could not support or reject, as the case may be.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

viewcode said:

Yes, but we care about reality rather than posturing. Nobody votes for us, except for PB Poster of the Year.
    Indeed
  • Options
    Can’t see why any non-idelogical Remainer wouldn’t back this given the alternative. It’s the softest of soft Brexits.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

currystar said:

If the transition deal were not extendable, then FoM would end 1 January 2021.

We have got the right but not the obligation to extend it and both sides have to agree. I do not see that having such a right makes the UK's position worse. It can only strengthen it.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

ydoethur said:

We've spoken of Sinn Fein taking their seats to back Corbyn. What if they panic and take the oath to back this deal, which for them is an excellent deal?

Sinn Fein won't sit.

You have to walk to vote, so they wouldn't have to sit.

(Yes, seriously, I know. I was being mischievous. It would be the funniest thing in politics since John Prescott was caught with his trousers down.)
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,195
    ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

currystar said:

Just in time for a general election...
  • Options
    viewcode said:

ydoethur said:

Sinn Fein won't sit.

we all die of laughter is what happens
  • Options
    AramintaMoonbeamQCAramintaMoonbeamQC Posts: 3,618
    edited November 2018
    Has David Mundell not been as good as his word and resigned? Colour me shocked.

Also, isn't this pretty much BINO? Its a fairly soft Brexit.

I'm a right old remainer, but lets just get this over with. The public won't judge politicians kindly for farting about now.

Having said that, McVey is thick and useless, so her resignation would be most welcome.
  • Options

Can’t see why any non-idelogical Remainer wouldn’t back this given the alternative. It’s the softest of soft Brexits.

It’s not far off Labour’s position. Not that Starmer or Corbyn will say so. But they should.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

Alistair said:

Nigelb said:

dodrade said:

Two theories

or

2)

If you are determined to find a border you will find one. For example if you think compliance with EU state aid rules is a burden, well, that burden will exist in NI but not the rUK. If that's a border it's a border but it's certainly not the central case of a border.
    I don't care. The biggoted fucksticks in the DUP do though.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

currystar said:

Just in time for a general election...
    Which is also a de facto cut off date.
  • Options
    "Other cabinet sources say those who spoke against the deal were not making arguments for alternative deals or even criticising the content - but expressing reservations about whether it can get through the House"
  • Options

currystar said:

The obverse seems equally true; a perfect political position.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Alistair said:

Nigelb said:

dodrade said:

Two theories

or

2)

I don't care. The biggoted fucksticks in the DUP do though.
    well that's what I mean. they've said all day it's about whether there is a border in the Irish sea but it's a question only they - not the deal - can answer
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979
    ydoethur said:

Indeed, that is how I feel about it up to a point.

The more the Brexiteers go on about it though the more I think if they cannot be pragmatic about it then we might as well stay in the EU and at least have participation in the institutions. They are just as opposed to the deal as staying in the EU, so in the national interest stay in the EU. Politics is rarely about implementing ideological purity, pragmatism needs to prevail in this situation. If it cannot then economic suicide should not be allowed to avail the population.
This discussion has been closed.