Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » As the Brexit “deal” reaches another critical week the public

Comments

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,986

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

So it looks like May has finally agreed the full text of the Withdrawal Agreement with the EU and is meeting Cabinet Ministers one to one tonight to go through it. So McVey and Leadsom May be potential resignations shortly.

May then needs to get it through Parliament and might well make it a confidence vote issue as Major did to get Maastricht through

FTPA prevents that. The *only* thing that counts as a confidence issue is a specific motion of no confidence, moved in accordance with the act.

Which, of course, gives the DUP and Brexiteers complete freedom to vote against this knowing it won't directly cause the government to fall.

That said. IF the rumours are correct, and May has sold out the DUP, I wouldn't be surprised if the DUP moved a motion of no confidence in her tomorrow.
    That is precisely what May will do, a no confidence vote as Major did in 1993 and all the rebels bar the diehards will fold exactly as happened then.

May will say she is prepared for a general election on a manifesto for her Deal and will not change from that position
    Except the VONC will happen first?
    If May wins that as she almost certainly will she is safe for a year and cannot be challenged.

Remember she only needs 50.01% of Tory MPs and 50.2% voted for her even in just the first round in 2016 and 60% in the second.

Only 120 Tory MPs backed Leave
    If Hunt and Javid don't both back her, she is toast.
    They will but neither of them would win without a viable alternative anyway.

If No Deal it would inevitably be Boris or Davis and they know it
  • Options
    This may be the week where my dire warnings about exactly how disastrous it was that voters declined to give Mrs May the mandate she needed come to pass.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited November 2018
  • Options

This may be the week where my dire warnings about exactly how disastrous it was that voters declined to give Mrs May the mandate she needed come to pass.

Even with a majority of 100+ most of those new MPs may have been ERG
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,105
    Scott_P said:
    And rightly so, because it was clear Dave's Deal was not fit for purpose.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,056

What difference would it have made? Even a majority of 100 wouldn't help this deal.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,917
    How is the ERG's research into Europe going ?
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:
    An MP in trouble over points -- has this ever happened before?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

No, she'd have had the authority to face them down. Success breeds success, but unfortunately the corollary is also true.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

They have found it is across the Channel and we buy goods from them occasionally.
  • Options
    Momentous times.

I suspect the over-riding response of those reading the 500 pages will be "What in the name of fuck has Olly Robbins been doing????"
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Their preliminary conclusion is that they don't like it.
  • Options

What difference would it have made? Even a majority of 100 wouldn't help this deal.
    You do not know the deal, neither does ERG, but kill it before it sees the light of day seems to be the order of the day
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    edited November 2018

Blaming the voters is pathetic. May had to reach out to reach a compromise within Britain, but she is incapable of doing so. The failure is all hers.

When she called the election she said that the country was united. You can't blame the country for telling her that was cobblers.
  • Options

You do not know the deal, neither does ERG, but kill it before it sees the light of day seems to be the order of the day
    ERG will no doubt have been told the 5 page summary by now.....
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787

If May has betrayed the DUP, her government will not survive the week.

Deciding that the DUP are not serious about their threat to bring down the government would be an incalculably foolish error.

It would fit the rumours the other day that May is preparing for a December election. She knows the deal would trigger the DUP into calling a Parliamentary VONC that she'd lose.

And it neatly heads off the Tory VONC option: there wouldn't be any time for the Tories to depose her and elect a new leader before the General Election.

She's throwing double or quit again.
  • Options

Momentous times.

I suspect the over-riding response of those reading the 500 pages will be "What in the name of fuck has Olly Robbins been doing????"

I wonder.

I suspect it will be written in language that would need a legal genius to work out what it is actually saying.

Cox will be crucial.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395

Momentous times.

I can't quite believe we may be heading for a third general election in three years, but maybe we are.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,808
    edited November 2018
    I, for one, still hope the little final details of the deal are good, and bid it luck. Whole UK CU backstop, sounds good to me.

The noise is just noise up until the very moment when it isn't.
  • Options

Blaming the voters is pathetic. May had to reach out to reach a compromise within Britain, but she is incapable of doing so. The failure is all hers.

When she called the election she said that the country was united. You came blame the country for telling her that was cobblers.
    Fine. Voters are the ones who have to live with the consequences of their decision. They seem to have prioritised a load of trivia over getting a good outcome in implementing the referendum result. Up to them, of course, but they get what they voted for: chaos, and possibly even eventually Corbyn.
  • Options
    grabcocquegrabcocque Posts: 4,234
    May's failing to clear this with the DUP first, the one group most willing and able to sink her government, seems like baffling idiocy to me.

I cannot BELIEVE that May is happy to allow the people who are propping up her government have their entire view of the document relayed to them second hand by Jacob Ress Mogg.

It's so astonishingly cretinous I almost can't believe mere incompetence can explain this. Maybe she wants the DUP to crash government?
  • Options
    rpjs said:

Deciding that the DUP are not serious about their threat to bring down the government would be an incalculably foolish error.

It would fit the rumours the other day that May is preparing for a December election. She knows the deal would trigger the DUP into calling a Parliamentary VONC that she'd lose.

And it neatly heads off the Tory VONC option: there wouldn't be any time for the Tories to depose her and elect a new leader before the General Election.

Hmm. What other option does she have. There is no other plan, except a 2nd vote or Norway for Now. The latter seems to have rejected by, er, Norway.

To repeat the Brexiteers have no plan. They never have.
  • Options

When she called the election she said that the country was united. You came blame the country for telling her that was cobblers.
    Fine. Voters are the ones who have to live with the consequences of their decision. They seem to have prioritised a load of trivia over getting a good outcome in implementing the referendum result. Up to them, of course, but they get what they voted for: chaos, and possibly even eventually Corbyn.
    I love it when you talk dirty to me, Richard.
  • Options

May's failing to clear this with the DUP first, the one group most willing and able to sink her government, seems like baffling idiocy to me.

I cannot BELIEVE that May is happy to allow the people who are propping up her government have their entire view of the document relayed to them second hand by Jacob Ress Mogg.

It's so astonishingly cretinous I almost can't believe mere incompetence can explain this. Maybe she wants the DUP to crash government?

Perhaps she did clear it with the DUP first?
  • Options

They voted on the question May posed: is the country united? Giving May a landslide was not the only way to reach a deal.
  • Options

Theresa May called the election in order, she said, to win a mandate for her vision of Brexit. Even tonight, have you got the faintest idea what that was? The Cabinet hasn't.
  • Options

They voted on the question May posed: is the country united? Giving May a landslide was not the only way to reach a deal.
    It would have been a hell of a better way than what we've got.
  • Options

Maybe, but the fact they're lining up with the ERG in the lobby to take a dump on it from a great height would suggest maybe not.
  • Options
    Pro_Rata said:

I, for one, still hope the little final details of the deal are good, and bid it luck. Whole UK CU backstop, sounds good to me.

The noise is just noise up until the point when it isn't.

Given that my close family are highly reliant on quite a number of prescription medicines, I am hoping she can cobble something together...
  • Options
    Starmer has decided it will fail Labour's tests before reading it !
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Scott_P said:
    Ok, I will admit it. Matt is a genius.
  • Options
    rpjs said:

Theresa May, the Amazing Election Calling Woman.
  • Options

Theresa May called the election in order, she said, to win a mandate for her vision of Brexit. Even tonight, have you got the faintest idea what that was? The Cabinet hasn't.
    We know in outline what she's trying to achieve, as laid out in Lancaster House: we leave the EU, there's no automatic freedom of movement, we adhere to EU product standards in goods (which is a no-brainer anyway), we leave the CFP, we leave the CAP, and we have a comprehensive trade deal with the EU. Bang slap in the middle of what voters voted for in the referendum, without crashing the economy too much.
  • Options

Didn't the DUP recently walk back their threat to No Confidence vote?
  • Options

Maybe, but the fact they're lining up with the ERG in the lobby to take a dump on it from a great height would suggest maybe not.
    Let's see.
  • Options

rpjs said:

Theresa May, the Amazing Election Calling Woman.
    I admit it, if this has been her plan all along, I'd be forced to admit some grudging admiration.
  • Options
    ‪There is no Brexit deal that can unite the Conservative party. I suspect there is one that could unite a large part of Labour. ‬
  • Options
    If the deal doesn't pass the Cabinet (or the Commons should it pass the Cabinet), does PB believe we are heading for No Deal, or Referendum 2: Refer Harder?
  • Options
    Did the interviewer follow that up with "Are you taking the fucking piss mate?"
  • Options
    edited November 2018

We know in outline what she's trying to achieve, as laid out in Lancaster House: we leave the EU, there's no automatic freedom of movement, we adhere to EU product standards in goods (which is a no-brainer anyway), we leave the CFP, we leave the CAP, and we have a comprehensive trade deal with the EU. Bang slap in the middle of what voters voted for in the referendum, without crashing the economy too much.
    Cake, but not too much cake.

Too much cake makes you sick.
  • Options
    rpjs said:

Suits me - as I am now a gentleman of leisure I have the time to literally spend all day running a GE campaign. And why should we end up with a General Election?

Deal requires the same "temporary" customs arrangement still temporarily enjoyed by Turkey
    Deal requires NI to have different rules to GB
    Deal means we still take EU rules but with new improved zero say over them
    Deal scores against all sides' shit lists without giving them any positives in exchange

She won't get it through Cabinet without resignations. She won't get it through her party without mass votes against. She won't get it through Parliament. And all that for a "deal" which reports Barnier and Coveney still saying isn't yet done.

Bring On The Popcorn!
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Did the interviewer follow that up with "Are you taking the fucking piss mate?"
    :+1:

"Europe is so bad and such an awful place of economic failure, that I moved my entire hedge fund to Dublin last month."
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,283
    Why the ********** **** (sorry Big G) am I going to La Bayadere tonight?

I have nearly choked on my coffee ten times reading the last 50 comments.
  • Options

Cake, but not too much cake.

Too much cake makes you sick.

Its Mince Pie season, that glorious pre-Christmas period where all the retailers unveil their premium tier mince pies and all need to be sampled to find out whose is best. Have never yet been sick eating Mince Pies.

Perhaps Mince Pies instead of Popcorn...
  • Options

If the deal doesn't pass the Cabinet (or the Commons should it pass the Cabinet), does PB believe we are heading for No Deal, or Referendum 2: Refer Harder?

Starting to think we might actually (gasp) be heading for snap GE.
  • Options
    Not sounding too good re Liam.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Why the ********** **** (sorry Big G) am I going to La Bayadere tonight?

I have nearly choked on my coffee ten times reading the last 50 comments.

That is funny
  • Options
    What an absolute prick Boris is.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,808

He's staying?
  • Options
    edited November 2018

Labour would need to vote for one. I guess it would be hard not to given their policy...
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,942

If it doesn’t pass the cabinet, I suspect they’ll be giving her the marching orders.
  • Options

Oasis never getting back together?
  • Options
    old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238

He was seething that RTE got the story before the British media. Referred to RTE as foreign. :lol:
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

If it doesn’t pass the cabinet, I suspect they’ll be giving her the marching orders.
    If the cabinet reject the deal, TM will have no option but to resign.

However, where that leaves us goodness knows
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,287
    https://twitter.com/SamCoatesTimes/status/1062404302076104704

It isn't over until the fat lady sings.
  • Options
    Actually Theresa May is, from a personal point of view, in rather a good position as regards her future reputation as PM (no really, don't fall off your chair quite yet). She's done her best, everyone agrees. She seems, against serious odds, to have come back with an outline deal. There are now two possibilities for her personally:

1. Success!

2. She can't get it past the cabinet and parliament. In which case she can with honour say she has done her duty and presented what she considers to be the best achievable outcome. She will then, I think, resign. Since colleagues don't like what she brought back, let someone else see if they can do better. (Hint: they can't - she'll be vindicated by subsequent events).
  • Options
    Jezza actually sounds the most measured so far - at least he's saying he'll read it first.
  • Options

Mortimer said:

David Davis as acting PM....?

The Tory Party can't have a snap election. They will be massacred. Even against Corbyn.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079
    So are we getting this steak and blowjob or not?
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,287
    edited November 2018
    As if RTE wouldn't like to help DUP and UK Government fight like ferrets in a sack.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,955

tbf that is one constant in an ever-changing World.

• Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787

Labour would need to vote for one. I guess it would be hard not to given their policy...
    How could they not? Last time round they improved by 15 points between the opinion polls when the election was called and polling day. Do that again and JCIPM with a majority Kim Jong-un would envy.

(Yes, I know that won't happen, but my point remains that there is absolutely no reason why Labour would baulk at allowing an election.)
  • Options
    Complete demonstration of how unsuited Boris is to office

He said 'According to these proposals, if the reports are correct, .....................

At least Keir Starmer says let us see the proposals first
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,283
    edited November 2018

Actually Theresa May is, from a personal point of view, in rather a good position as regards her future reputation as PM (no really, don't fall off your chair quite yet). She's done her best, everyone agrees. She seems, against serious odds, to have come back with an outline deal. There are now two possibilities for her personally:

1. Success!

2. She can't get it past the cabinet and parliament. In which case she can with honour say she has done her duty and presented what she considers to be the best achievable outcome. She will then, I think, resign. Since colleagues don't like what she brought back, let someone else see if they can do better. (Hint: they can't - she'll be vindicated by subsequent events).

I was thinking just that about May - could be her finest hour.

2 would be bad for the country though. Very very bad.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,603
    Pulpstar said:

Starmer has decided it will fail Labour's tests before reading it !

I should bloody well think so! There's a Tory government to bring down - we haven't done that since 1974!
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

1. Success!

I was thinking just that about May - could be her finest hour.

2 would be bad for the country though. Very very bad.
    Indeed so.
  • Options
    rpjs said:

How could they not? Last time round they improved by 15 points between the opinion polls when the election was called and polling day. Do that again and JCIPM with a majority Kim Jong-un would envy.

(Yes, I know that won't happen, but my point remains that there is absolutely no reason why Labour would baulk at allowing an election.)
    They could say that it's a con and May is trying to run away from putting her deal before parliament.
  • Options
    I'd like to think that maybe there would be more to May's legacy than simply weaponised pity, but you take what you can get, I guess.
  • Options

Mortimer said:

The Tory Party can't have a snap election. They will be massacred. Even against Corbyn.
    Has to be a neutral successor if it occurs
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    Is Mike going on holiday or something?
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,814
    edited November 2018

Trudging to the polls in the December gloom, ice, rain and snow with darkness descending at 3:30pm...

AND Theresa May leading the campaign.

What could possibly go wrong? :D
  • Options
    Hard to describe the depth of the utter and total contempt I feel for the destructive, mendacious, ignorant Bucanneering Brexiteers and their bigoted, bowler-hatted Ulster mates for the utter shit-show they have inflicted on our country.
  • Options
    Sammy Wilson confirmed he has not seen the details just what the Irish have leaked

Extraordinary how poor our politicians are. Starmer the only grown up so far
  • Options

A SPAD friend of mine points out that its not possible for a December election. Assume VONC later this week, then 14 days for no government to have the confidence of the house, then 25 working days for an election campaign.

It's January at the earliest
  • Options

Mortimer said:

It can't be a neutral successor because the party - having trashed May's deal, if that's what happens - will then have to decide whether they don't like it because it's too much vassal state or not enough vassal state, and choose the successor accordingly.
  • Options
    old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238

No good comes to those who side with the Tories.
  • Options
    dodradedodrade Posts: 595

More likely she's already written off any chance of them supporting it so simply didn't bother.
  • Options

Mortimer said:

It has to be somebody who can hold the party together, but more importantly, get us through a No Deal Brexit. Because no successor can sign up to what May and Robbins have produced. (Or we would be keeping May.)

And the EU aren't going to give us second chance at a deal that any new PM can craft.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079

A SPAD friend of mine points out that its not possible for a December election. Assume VONC later this week, then 14 days for no government to have the confidence of the house, then 25 working days for an election campaign.

Even if Labour play ball?
  • Options

Hard to describe the depth of the utter and total contempt I feel for the destructive, mendacious, ignorant Bucanneering Brexiteers and their bigoted, bowler-hatted Ulster mates for the utter shit-show they have inflicted on our country.

Try to look at it positively.

If it gets through it’s fudgey Brexit-lite.

If it doesn’t get through there’s no way we don’t get some kind of election/extension/Ref2
  • Options
    dodrade said:

More likely she's already written off any chance of them supporting it so simply didn't bother.
    And in so doing, she needs 11 more Labour MPs....
  • Options

Whilst that's probably right, there's no need for the VONC if there's a two-thirds majority for a GE.
  • Options
    John_M said:

He would have been going to America about now for a fortnight but events got in the way.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

No, she'd have had the authority to face them down. Success breeds success, but unfortunately the corollary is also true.
    She may well have had an extra 100 Tory MPs baying for No Deal having been elected on a hard Brexit ticket.

Most current Tory MPs voted Remain
  • Options
    Its like Christmas already....
  • Options
    Tories will be mad and forever remorseful if they seize the day and strike down the agreement reached. I would sign it in a flash. No deal for May means No Deal for the Country. No deal is the end of the Tories and welcome to our new communist overlords within six months. It's not hard to think about this for a second and realise the best option is through the divisions with the aye's. I reckon the SNP could even get on board and some Labour - the national interest literally at stake. May has an interesting card there - anyone who votes against will go down in history as either stupid, ignorant or willfully negligent of the interests of the Country. Nearly too important to bet on, nearly...
  • Options

Try because a majoirty of your fellow countrymen were sufficiently pissed off with what the Europhiles had been doing for 40 years on the sly, without asking the voters permission. Well done, Europhiles, for this utter shit-show.
  • Options

John_M said:

He would have been going to America about now for a fortnight but events got in the way.
    Worried about a Mueller indictment.

I always knew OGH was up to something. All those late night meetings with sexy Russian femme fatales.
  • Options
    edited November 2018

Mueller seeking more details on Nigel Farage

https://twitter.com/ericgeller/status/1062073460552294406
  • Options

When she called the election she said that the country was united. You can't blame the country for telling her that was cobblers.
    Rubbish.

Most Leavers will not accept any dilution of Brexit, most Remainers want to reverse Brexit, the EU demanded a backstop for NI.

There was no real compromise to be made beyond what she got
This discussion has been closed.