Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » As the Brexit “deal” reaches another critical week the public

Comments

• Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256

"Understand that DUP have not seen the text yet, so as yet unknown whether it crosses any of the DUP’s “red lines”"

I think May is prepared to die on this hill if necessary.

Fortunately, her party is swarming with willing euthanasia practitioners to assist her.
    You really do have a nasty side and it is entirely unnecessary
    I like to think I add a visceral and earthy realism to drab political debate.

Also, you're too sensitive.

If you prefer I can use a PB Oldie But Goodie(tm) and say May is going to get pounded like a dockside hooker?
    You are TSE and i claim my £5
  • Options
    "Negotiations between the EU and UK on a withdrawal agreement are ongoing and have not concluded. Negotiators are still engaged and a number of issues are outstanding. We are not commenting further on leaks in the media."

Not exactly a denial.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Mentioning Davidson and Mundell, any news on the CFP in the draft deal?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,917

Sean_F said:

dixiedean said:

Says all of UK in Customs Union for a period, but with "deeper provisions for NI and a review mechanism".

i.e. total capitulation.

The absolute worst of the Brexiteer's fears
    The absolute worst of the DUP's fears
    The EU's wet dream. The UK locked into indefinite vassalage, bound by the rules of the EU, paying it for, but with no say whatsoever, unless and until they deign to allow us to leave.

If this is true, her party and the DUP are going to rip her to shreds.

This is going to be bloody.

Though more likely, given the past few months, is that cabinet will take the communique and roundly jam it up May's withered clunge and tomorrow everyone will be denying all knowledge of its existence.
    The UK ends freedom of movement without leaving the customs union.

And they said it couldn't be done!!

needless to say I do not agree with your assessment. not least because the backstop does not involve us paying for those things (although we will no doubt pay for things under the future partnership and other things generally)
    TBH I think it's best to study a document before leaping to conclusions.
    no no no much more fun this way

Reading things THEN concluding on them is my day job
    Damn, I thought it was chasing hookah smoking caterpillars.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,962

RobD said:

Popcorn alert level 2.

Do try and pace yourself
    Luckily I didn't go straight to level 1.
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256

I call out unnecessary language whenever it is used.

On that basis, how do you feel about adjectives?
  • Options
    Which Cabinet minister is going to stagger out of the one-to-one meeting literary in tears - a broken husk, inconsolable over a nation betrayed?
  • Options

Sky saying Varadkar has just announced negotiations are still ongoing.

Ireland's deputy PM
  • Options

"Understand that DUP have not seen the text yet, so as yet unknown whether it crosses any of the DUP’s “red lines”"

Fortunately, her party is swarming with willing euthanasia practitioners to assist her.
    I like to think I add a visceral and earthy realism to drab political debate.

If you prefer I can use a PB Oldie But Goodie(tm) and say May is going to get pounded like a dockside hooker?
    You are TSE and i claim my £5
    I'm much more subtle.
  • Options

Which Cabinet minister is going to stagger out of the one-to-one meeting literary in tears - a broken husk, inconsolable over a nation betrayed?

Theresa May?
  • Options
    grabcocquegrabcocque Posts: 4,234
    Well, that "done deal" appears to have lasted a little over half an hour.

That must be a record, guys!
  • Options

No problem but suggesting someone is euthanised is a step too far for me
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092

Better than adverbs
  • Options

That raises the most pertinent question of the whole Brexit process: can we bet on this?
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,814

Sky saying Varadkar has just announced negotiations are still ongoing.

Little Leo's hotline to the EU suddenly gone dead? ;)
  • Options
    Media in hysteria and openly loving every minute of it
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,955

That raises the most pertinent question of the whole Brexit process: can we bet on this?
    First Minister out of Cabinet?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,056
    edited November 2018

If I were her I'd make sure the doors between the cabinet room and the Downing Street front door are locked tomorrow to avoid anyone doing a Heseltine.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

First Minister out of Cabinet?
    The main betfair market is whether we leave or not, where "no deal" counts as leave so no obvious deal/no deal choice.
  • Options
    ExiledInScotlandExiledInScotland Posts: 1,505
    edited November 2018

So the EU have presented the final draft of the May's total capitulation to them.

It's a nice gesture that they've bothered to let her read it, it's not like anyone cares what she thinks.

You may not but many more do care what both she thinks and the cabinet agree to
    Name a single person who actually cares what Theresa May thinks.
    That is just silly. She is the PM and how she presents this will matter to millions. I would also point out that she is far ahead of Corbyn and is well respected by many voters who recognise the poison chalice she inherited
    She didn't inherit the poison chalice - that sounds like she got lumped with sorting out Brexit. Rather, she sought it out like a politician version of Indiana Jones. I can have no sympathy for her making a dog's breakfast of the whole thing.
    Public opinion perceives TM as having a poisoned chalice
    Go with the Indiana Jones analogy. Has she picked up the chalice she thinks is the right one and has chosen poorly?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0H3rdfI28s0
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870
    I wonder who'll be the first to break cover from the DUP or the ERG.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:
    you'd have said that even if they'd promised us the, well, promised land
  • Options

Come on now Big G, Westminster hacks LIVE for days like this !
  • Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506
    edited November 2018
    i am wondering if Angela Leadsom could be the sole contender for a coronation as the new Conservative leader and PM. Tory Brexiteers do not have time for an election to take place.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,871

I like to think to add a visceral and earthy realism to drab political debate.

I am not sensitive but treat people with respect.
    G, no manners in today's world, all the decency of old is ignored. UK is an oafish selfish place nowadays.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,955
    Redwood. "We are numerous. We are of one mind."
    Surprised it adds up to that much TBH.
  • Options

So the EU have presented the final draft of the May's total capitulation to them.

It's a nice gesture that they've bothered to let her read it, it's not like anyone cares what she thinks.

You may not but many more do care what both she thinks and the cabinet agree to
    Name a single person who actually cares what Theresa May thinks.
    That is just silly. She is the PM and how she presents this will matter to millions. I would also point out that she is far ahead of Corbyn and is well respected by many voters who recognise the poison chalice she inherited
    She didn't inherit the poison chalice - that sounds like she got lumped with sorting out Brexit. Rather, she sought it out like a politician version of Indiana Jones. I can have no sympathy for her making a dog's breakfast of the whole thing.
    Public opinion perceives TM as having a poisoned chalice
    Go with the Indiana Jones analogy. Has she picked up the chalice she thinks is the right one and has chosen poorly?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0H3rdfI28s0
    Could be both but I cannot see anyone else wanting to be in her position tonight
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

the Brexit Buccaneers have one brain between the whole lot of 'em?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

This is where one journalist guesses something and another journalist picks it up and embellishes it, and everyone believes that it shows what they want to believe, and then another journalist overhears some junior official and makes a story out of what he thought she said, and then another embellishes it further but adds that the Irish aren't on board, and PB gets terribly excited at each twist and turn in the speculation.
  • Options

i am wondering if Angela Leadsom could be the sole contender for a coronation as the new Conservative leader and PM. Tory Brexiteers do not have time for an election to take place.

Who is Angela Leadsom?
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

They are the borg?
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Those two muppets will back pedal as fast as you like. Pair of chancers will not give up their place at the trough for principles. They just don a new set of principles, pair of chancers.
  • Options
    rural_voterrural_voter Posts: 2,038

If I were her I'd make sure the doors between the cabinet room and the Downing Street front door are locked tomorrow to avoid anyone doing a Heseltine.
    They could even do a 'double Heseltine' by walking out and saying to any journalists around
    'Vote Corbyn to stop Brexit'.
  • Options

the DUP is hard to bait into acting rashly. Similar with JRM. They will calculate their counterattack and strike only when it hits hardest.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

This is where one journalist guesses something and another journalist picks it up and embellishes it, and everyone believes that it shows what they want to believe, and then another journalist overhears some junior official and makes a story out of what he thought she said, and then another embellishes it further but adds that the Irish aren't on board, and PB gets terribly excited at each twist and turn in the speculation.
    Probably best to go with Tom Connelly rather than say Faisal Islam.
  • Options

Race is on for the first cabinet minister to resign.

Dominic Raab, cometh the hour, cometh the man. If you do the dirty on May tonight, you will be PM before christmas...

David Mundell please.

I win £610 if he does.
    LOL
  • Options

Who is Angela Leadsom?
    Andrea Merkel's brain damaged stepsister.
  • Options
    FenmanFenman Posts: 1,047
    dixiedean said:

Between them?
  • Options
    This is going to be top quality entertainment. What's the point in a technical agreement by diplomats if ihe poloroxoanstgey work for are so bitterly divided that the PM refuses to show them the legal advice and needs to plead with them one by one?

How many cabinet resignations can she survive?
  • Options
    Fenman said:

dixiedean said:

Between them?
    It is a very generous assessment. I'd say it's less of a "brain" and more a gelatinous aggregation of cells. Kinda like a jellyfish. Jexit means Jexit.
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870

the DUP is hard to bait into acting rashly. Similar with JRM. They will calculate their counterattack and strike only when it hits hardest.
    True. Steve Baker, on the other hand, is a bit of a motormouth.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,594

Who is Angela Leadsom?
    Well, as we all know, Andrea Leadsom is a mother...
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,056
    Foxy said:

Who is Angela Leadsom?
    Well, as we all know, Andrea Leadsom is a mother...
    https://twitter.com/vote_leave/status/744908829901611008
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    malcolmg said:

G, no manners in today's world, all the decency of old is ignored. UK is an oafish selfish place nowadays.
    Evening Malc.

What a "too doo" isn't it? :D
  • Options

Who is Angela Leadsom?
    Read dre for gel.
  • Options
    Guys, this is it.

The end of the beginning. The phony war is over. May has sold the Brexiteers down the river, and achieved eternal vassalage in exchange for nothing.

Now we can AT LAST start phase 2 of the Great Brexit Constitutional Crisis, civil war.

Finally.

This was supposed to begin two months ago.
  • Options

Who is Angela Leadsom?
    Read dre for gel.
    Doctor Dre?
  • Options
    Nothing is agreed until everybody is agreed.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,105
    Scott_P said:
    For a document written on sheets of A4 in a hurricane.....
  • Options

Guys, this is it.

The end of the beginning. The phony war is over. May has sold the Brexiteers down the river, and achieved eternal vassalage in exchange for nothing.

Now we can AT LAST start phase 2 of the Great Brexit Constitutional Crisis, civil war.

Finally.

The time has been well spent, sharpening the pitchforks....
  • Options
    ralphmalphralphmalph Posts: 2,201
    dixiedean said:

On 5live he has said that there are at least 51 MP's that committed to vote against Chequers and this is worse. Added he does not know of the number of Jo Johnsons that would vote against.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,986
    edited November 2018
    So it looks like May has finally agreed the full text of the Withdrawal Agreement with the EU and is meeting Cabinet Ministers one to one tonight to go through it. So McVey and Leadsom may be potential resignations shortly.

May then needs to get it through Parliament and might well make it a confidence vote issue as Major did to get Maastricht through after losing as rebels joined with Labour initially on an amendment vote. I expect May will also withdraw the whip from ERG rebels or EUref2 rebels as Major did from Maastricht rebels in 1993
  • Options

Guys, this is it.

Finally.

You are beginning to sound like your icon photo in an off-the-record moment...
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Indeed
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

I wouldn't believe a word of anything that comes out of anywhere tonight.

• Options

Guys, this is it.

Finally.

I won't lie, this is giving me the horn.

All we need now is an abdication crisis.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    If we are still in a customs union the Tories are f---ed.

Really I don't buy this. How many voters give a tinker's for the ins and outs of customs unions. It is a Brexiteer fantasy that millions of voters yearn to do a free trade deal with the US.

Now, if we still have FoM, that's another matter.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

So it looks like May has finally agreed the full text of the Withdrawal Agreement with the EU and is meeting Cabinet Ministers one to one tonight to go through it. So McVey and Leadsom May be potential resignations shortly.

May then needs to get it through Parliament and might well make it a confidence vote issue as Major did to get Maastricht through

FTPA prevents that. The *only* thing that counts as a confidence issue is a specific motion of no confidence, moved in accordance with the act.

Which, of course, gives the DUP and Brexiteers complete freedom to vote against this knowing it won't directly cause the government to fall.

That said. IF the rumours are correct, and May has sold out the DUP, I wouldn't be surprised if the DUP moved a motion of no confidence in her tomorrow.
  • Options
    Meanwhile, George Osborne tucks into yet another frozen meal. Soon be enough space......
  • Options
  • Options
    So May has betrayed both remainers and leavers in a document they haven't seen yet ?

No doubt.
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    TGOHF said:

So May has betrayed both remainers and leavers in a document they haven't seen yet ?

No doubt.

She has a unique and special talent for pleasing none of the people, none of the time. Perhaps we should cherish such a quirkily unusual lack of political talent.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

malcolmg said:

Evening Malc.

Evening Gin , it is indeed a right stramash and will be a rammy soon.
  • Options
    I wish there were a way to bet on how long May's "leak proof" reading room will take to spring a leak.
  • Options

Guys, this is it.

Finally.

Surely we have to go through at least three years of Jezza and Johnny Mac in Downing St before we progress to actual civil war? :D
  • Options
    Anyone would think Mrs May is paranoid...
  • Options
    edited November 2018

HYUFD said:

So it looks like May has finally agreed the full text of the Withdrawal Agreement with the EU and is meeting Cabinet Ministers one to one tonight to go through it. So McVey and Leadsom May be potential resignations shortly.

May then needs to get it through Parliament and might well make it a confidence vote issue as Major did to get Maastricht through

FTPA prevents that. The *only* thing that counts as a confidence issue is a specific motion of no confidence, moved in accordance with the act.

Which, of course, gives the DUP and Brexiteers complete freedom to vote against this knowing it won't directly cause the government to fall.

That said. IF the rumours are correct, and May has sold out the DUP, I wouldn't be surprised if the DUP moved a motion of no confidence in her tomorrow.
    That is precisely what May will do, a no confidence vote as Major did in 1993 and all the rebels bar the diehards will fold exactly as happened then.

May will say she is prepared for a general election on a manifesto for her Deal and will not change from that position
  • Options

TGOHF said:

No doubt.

She has a unique and special talent for pleasing none of the people, none of the time. Perhaps we should cherish such a quirkily unusual lack of political talent.
    You've obviously read it - what are the highlights?
  • Options

Guys, this is it.

Finally.

Tumbril wheels will be well oiled
  • Options

I wish there were a way to bet on how long May's "leak proof" reading room will take to spring a leak.

All they have to do is memorise the bit that sends them apoplectic and then tweet it later.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,830
    GIN1138 said:

Anyone would think Mrs May is paranoid...
    She has good reason to be.
  • Options

Well, half the commentariat, two thirds of politicians, and 98% of PB seem to have formed a view on the text without the inconvenience of having to actually read it, so leaks seem to be superfluous.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Guys, this is it.

Finally.

Surely we have to go through at least three years of Jezza and Johnny Mac in Downing St before we progress to actual civil war? :D
    This will look like the sunlit upland once that pair of plonkers get their grubby hands on the levers of power.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

GIN1138 said:

malcolmg said:

Evening Malc.

Evening Gin , it is indeed a right stramash and will be a rammy soon.
    Now that is good Scots language I understand and agree.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

That is precisely what May will do, a no confidence vote as Major did in 1993 and all the rebels bar the diehards will fold exactly as happened then.

May will say she is prepared for a general election on a manifesto for her Deal and will not change from that position
    Except the VONC will happen first?
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Guys, this is it.

Finally.

Tumbril wheels will be well oiled
    Aye, ne'er a squeak....
  • Options

Well, half the commentariat, two thirds of politicians, and 98% of PB seem to have formed a view on the text without the inconvenience of having to actually read it, so leaks seem to be superfluous.
    Scott_P said:
    Hold on, has Rees Mogg read the document yet ?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Scott_P said:
    Hold on, has Rees Mogg read the document yet ?
    Wanna guess?
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    If May has betrayed the DUP, her government will not survive the week.

Deciding that the DUP are not serious about their threat to bring down the government would be an incalculably foolish error.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,830
    Scott_P said:
    And, he didn't even have to read it.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

FTPA makes it much harder for Mrs May to turn this into a confidence vote than in Major's day.

Like it can be a confidence vote in her, but the Prime Minister falling doesn't meant the government isn't secure.
  • Options

Calculating that the DUP are not serious about their threat to bring down the government would be an incalculably foolish error.

Have there been suggestion she has?
  • Options
    RobD said:

Calculating that the DUP are not serious about their threat to bring down the government would be an incalculably foolish error.

Have there been suggestion she has?
    A suggestion, but not a confirmation.
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    Sean_F said:

Scott_P said:
    And, he didn't even have to read it.
    Jacob is just *that* clever. Mind you, given May's form, I don't really need to read it either.
  • Options
    Joint ERG and DUP announcement?

*imperial march starts playing*
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

If May wins that as she almost certainly will she is safe for a year and cannot be challenged.

Remember she only needs 50.01% of Tory MPs and 50.2% voted for her even in just the first round in 2016 and 60% in the second.

Only 120 Tory MPs backed Leave
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

If May wins that as she almost certainly will she is safe for a year and cannot be challenged.

Remember she only needs 50.01% of Tory MPs and 50.2% voted for her even in just the first round in 2016 and 60% in the second.

Only 120 Tory MPs backed Leave
    If Hunt and Javid don't both back her, she is toast.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

FTPA makes it much harder for Mrs May to turn this into a confidence vote than in Major's day.

Like it can be a confidence vote in her, but the Prime Minister falling doesn't meant the government isn't secure.
    Unless 50%+ of Tory MPs no confidence her inevitably it will be a vote of no confidence in the government too
This discussion has been closed.