Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Polling boost for beleaguered Theresa as the Tory conference o

Comments

• Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,249

Mickelson in water - concedes - 14.5 on board. Now how big will the win be

I think we can say that Bubba Watson is unlikely to turn this around.

Although the BBC presumably meant 'pâté' when they said Stenson was turning him into Patty.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,997

All over. Best team won, USA have been piss poor this week. I think the foursomes on Friday they were +13...4 pairs of world class players, 13 over par, it just terrible.

Just shows what Europe, united is capable of.

Gets coat, heads off to the pub for Sunday evening pint.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,658

King Cole, the numbers were much smaller then. Blair decided half the population needed a degree, and the numbers ballooned.

Though 40-60% going into in Tertiary education is the norm in developed countries, and likely to be appropriate for a kowledge based service economy.

The problem is that many of the courses are of a low standard that is the issue, and the pressure on faculty to pass any dullard.
  • Options

All over. Best team won, USA have been piss poor this week. I think the foursomes on Friday they were +13...4 pairs of world class players, 13 over par, it just terrible.

American golf not in a great place - maybe they need to make it Rest of the World and get some help from Asia.....
    UK joins US in Ryder cup deal

(Joke !!! )
  • Options
    HYUFD said:
    Has anyone ever seen OKC and Tim Farron in the same room?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,780
    HYUFD said:
    He's right, there isn't. I'll be backing Europe.
  • Options
    Stenson makes it 15.5
  • Options
    alex. said:

ydoethur said:

America should have chosen two other players than Woods and Mickelson. May have cost them the win.

Woods has been rubbish. He wins one big competition and everyone thinks he is back in his prime. In truth his time has passed
    Well, a Tiger has been tamed by Rahm. Well done the Spaniard.

We need two of the final six. We're ahead in four.

I stand by my prediction that Molinari is the key.
    It is great to be oblivious to Brexit even if we want Europe to win
    Using the EU flag for Europe is going to look a bit silly next time round.
    Are we also leaving the Council of Europe (not the European Council) as I believe they use the same flag?
  • Options
    Garcia makes it 16.5
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,011
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:
    Though of course the EU is not the same as Europe, especially if we got some Swiss or Norwegian or Icelandic or Russian Ryder Cup players as well as those from post Brexit UK
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    'At least political life would be less complicated if the Brexit division were the only one. The other, austerity, remains a defining question for voters after nearly a decade.

It would help if the two divisions lined up neatly, but they don’t:my research finds that only a third of pro-austerity voters, the basis of David Cameron’s 2015 majority, voted to remain in the EU, while nearly four in ten on the anti-austerity side voted to leave.

Hence, as I explain at greater length in today’s Mail on Sunday, the result of the last election, and the extreme difficulty for both sides of putting together an election-winning coalition as things stand. The prize for the first party to appeal beyond these two divides is obvious.'

https://www.conservativehome.com/thecolumnists/2018/09/lord-ashcrofts-conference-diary-how-leave-voters-reflect-good-humouredly-for-the-most-part-on-being-lablelled-knuckle-dragging-bigots.html

Interesting to see 40% of leftwing, statist voters voted Leave and a third of pro austerity fiscal conservatives were Remainers, showing that Brexit alone will not get a Tory majority as 2017 confirmed
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:
    Though of course the EU is not the same as Europe, especially if we got some Swiss or Norwegian or Icelandic or Russian Ryder Cup players as well as those from post Brexit UK
    I'm not sure I'd be keen on the Russians taking part. Leaving aside the suspiciously perfect biceps, I'd always be wondering how they got those balls quite so luminous.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Labour take a 5 point lead with BMG:

"Europe Elects
    @EuropeElects
    4h4 hours ago

UK, BMG poll:

LAB-S&D: 40% (+2)
    CON-ECR: 35% (-3)
    LDEM-ALDE: 12% (+2)
    UKIP-EFDD: 5%

Field work: 28/09/18 – 29/09/18
    Sample size: 1,203"
  • Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223
    HYUFD said:

RoyalBlue said:

HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

Anyone know what Theresa's "compromise" with the EU is going to entail?

I thought Chequers WAS the compromise?

Most likely it will be Chequers Plus ie stay in the SM and CU with a slightly different name after Brexit.

It was clear from her Marr interview this morning when May said she was working for a Deal that her talk of No Deal as a last resort was just lip service to the Tory right, she is not actually going to do it
    May has made her red lines clear. The EU has done the same. There is no overlap, hence the impasse.

She has a simple choice. She can cave, and try to sell continued SM/CU membership or the de facto cession of Northern Ireland as somehow being compatible with the Brexit vote, or she admits that the negotiations have failed, and we will leave with no deal. Thanks to her stubbornness, she will do neither.

I expect that it will be the EU that declares the negotiations dead in November, at which point the British domestic crisis will begin.
    What she will concede is greater alignment on services to coincide with the greater alignment she has already conceded on goods and the Irish backstop will be NI effectively stays in the Customs Union in all but name. She might also get some sort of Liechtenstein scenario on FoM.

It was clear from Marr this morning May has no desire for No Deal beyond paying lip service as a last restort to it for hardened Brexiteers
    The EU have made it perfectly clear; we cannot cherry-pick the Single Market. We’re in it, or we’re not. It is not in their interest to concede a special variant for us; they regret the way EU-Swiss relations have developed, and won’t make the same mistake twice. The same goes for the customs union; a territory is in it, or it isn’t. May has made it clear a customs border within the U.K. is a nonstarter.

I realise that Theresa May doesn’t want no deal. That is not sufficient to prevent it from happening. Our politicians and media need to stop acting as if Brexit is like a restaurant where we get to specify the ingredients and the EU will cook the meal. They have given us 2 unappealing choices, or we can leave with nothing. That is it.
  • Options
    RoyalBlue said:

HYUFD said:

RoyalBlue said:

HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

Most likely it will be Chequers Plus ie stay in the SM and CU with a slightly different name after Brexit.

It was clear from her Marr interview this morning when May said she was working for a Deal that her talk of No Deal as a last resort was just lip service to the Tory right, she is not actually going to do it
    May has made her red lines clear. The EU has done the same. There is no overlap, hence the impasse.

She has a simple choice. She can cave, and try to sell continued SM/CU membership or the de facto cession of Northern Ireland as somehow being compatible with the Brexit vote, or she admits that the negotiations have failed, and we will leave with no deal. Thanks to her stubbornness, she will do neither.

I expect that it will be the EU that declares the negotiations dead in November, at which point the British domestic crisis will begin.
    What she will concede is greater alignment on services to coincide with the greater alignment she has already conceded on goods and the Irish backstop will be NI effectively stays in the Customs Union in all but name. She might also get some sort of Liechtenstein scenario on FoM.

It was clear from Marr this morning May has no desire for No Deal beyond paying lip service as a last restort to it for hardened Brexiteers
    The EU have made it perfectly clear; we cannot cherry-pick the Single Market. We’re in it, or we’re not. It is not in their interest to concede a special variant for us; they regret the way EU-Swiss relations have developed, and won’t make the same mistake twice. The same goes for the customs union; a territory is in it, or it isn’t. May has made it clear a customs border within the U.K. is a nonstarter.

I realise that Theresa May doesn’t want no deal. That is not sufficient to prevent it from happening. Our politicians and media need to stop acting as if Brexit is like a restaurant where we get to specify the ingredients and the EU will cook the meal. They have given us 2 unappealing choices, or we can leave with nothing. That is it.
    Or stay which seems more likely day by day as Boris and ERG overplay their hand
  • Options
    Perhaps Justine Greening will reflect on the wisdom of voting to triple student tuition fees and then supporting the freezing of the payment threshold.

Or she could consider how house prices and home ownership levels in Putney have changed since 2010.
  • Options
    How many of the US team have played this course before this week ?

I suspect there's a connection there between their unwillingness to play on European courses and their repeated shite performances when the Ryder Cup is held in Europe.
  • Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223
    edited September 2018

RoyalBlue said:

HYUFD said:

RoyalBlue said:

HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

it

That will very much depend on the price the EU demands for retracting Article 50. If anything worse than current terms is offered, it diminishes the likelihood of us Remaining at all, and if we did, it would guarantee a huge UKIP continent in the next European Parliament.

Perhaps when the negotiations fail, the heads of government of the 27 will make a unanimous offer of membership on existing terms. That could electrify the debate.
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    Overall 40% of all UK voters back a hard Brexit and no deal without full control over borders, laws and trade deals, 31% want a second referendum on whether to go ahead with Brexit once we know its terms and 17% of voters want a compromise deal with the EU that honours the referendum result but ensures trade continues smoothly with the EU even if following a common set of rules and regulations set by the EU making the latter the key swing voters.

Those who want a compromise deal with the EU are a plurality amongst Tory Remain voters while hard Brexiteers make up a majority of Tory and Labour Leave voters and those who want a second referendum make up a majority of Labour Remain voters

https://www.conservativehome.com/platform/2018/09/lord-ashcroft-the-two-divides-austerity-brexit-and-the-problem-of-building-a-winning-coalition.html
  • Options
    RoyalBlue said:

RoyalBlue said:

HYUFD said:

RoyalBlue said:

HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

it

That will very much depend on the price the EU demands for retracting Article 50. If anything worse than current terms is offered, it diminishes the likelihood of us Remaining at all, and if we did, it would guarantee a huge UKIP continent in the next European Parliament.

Perhaps when the negotiations fail, the heads of government of the 27 will make a unanimous offer of membership on existing terms. That could electrify the debate.
    I am sure they would be relieved to reinstate our status

Mind you the referendum would have to have a decisive answer or years of anger would follow
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    HYUFD said:

Overall 40% of all UK voters back a hard Brexit and no deal without full control over borders, laws and trade deals, 31% want a second referendum on whether to go ahead with Brexit once we know its terms and 17% of voters want a compromise deal with the EU that honours the referendum result but ensure trade continues smoothly with the EU even if following a common set of rules and regulations set by the EU making the latter the key swing voters.

Those who want a compromise deal with the EU are a plurality amongst Tory Remain voters while hard Brexiteers make up a majority of Tory and Labour Leave voters and those who want a second referendum make up a majority of Labour Remain voters

Who are those 17% going to blame, if no compromise deal can be done with the EU? If they split 12:5 to accepting we had no alternative than Hard Brexit, then we have the same % accepting Hard Brexit as voted for Brexit in the Referendum......
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited September 2018
    Those making connections between Ryder cup, EU, brexit...just thought would mention no German, french or beligum players...amazing what you can get done without them*

*just joking.
  • Options
    On the conservative conference policy must be influenced by the autumn statement coming up on the 29th October, my eldest sons 52nd birthday and he is coming in from Canada to see us
  • Options
    Hunt now speaking on Brexit at the Tory Conference after Williamson delivered his speech
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    RoyalBlue said:

HYUFD said:

RoyalBlue said:

HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

They won't be conceding a special variant for us, as I said May is likely to agree to stay in the SM and CU in all but name for the whole UK post Brexit.

As today's Ashcroft poll shows there is no majority in the country that will accept No Deal and the same applies in Parliament, more voters support BINO Brexit or a second referendum combined than will accept hard Brexit and No Deal
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Overall 40% of all UK voters back a hard Brexit and no deal without full control over borders, laws and trade deals, 31% want a second referendum on whether to go ahead with Brexit once we know its terms and 17% of voters want a compromise deal with the EU that honours the referendum result but ensure trade continues smoothly with the EU even if following a common set of rules and regulations set by the EU making the latter the key swing voters.

Who are those 17% going to blame, if no compromise deal can be done with the EU? If they split 12:5 to accepting we had no alternative than Hard Brexit, then we have the same % accepting Hard Brexit as voted for Brexit in the Referendum......
    No as the compromise deal the question asked was accepting rules and regulations set by the EU for a trade deal post Brexit. They are effectively therefore already accepting staying in the SM and CU by the very nature of the question asked
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,309
    edited September 2018
    HYUFD said:

Hunt now speaking on Brexit at the Tory Conference after Williamson delivered his speech

Really strong speech from Hunt. Indeed top of the class

Are you watching Boris - this is how it is done
  • Options

HYUFD said:

I hope the membership are watching this
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

No as the compromise deal the question asked was accepting rules and regulations set by the EU for a trade deal post Brexit. They are effectively therefore already accepting staying in the SM and CU by the very nature of the question asked
    That doesn't negate my point. If there's No Deal, who do you then stand behind - the UK or the EU?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Interesting Hunt says he met Henry Kissinger who says he was asked to write an article backing Remain but declined as the world needed 'an independent British voice'
  • Options

Those making connections between Ryder cup, EU, brexit...just thought would mention no German, french or beligum players...amazing what you can get done without them*

*just joking.

Hope that Noren monster putt hasn't cost you Christmas.....
  • Options
    edited September 2018

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

That doesn't negate my point. If there's No Deal, who do you then stand behind - the UK or the EU?
    It does negate your point. As it shows the median British voter wants to technically still leave the EU but will accept staying in the SM and CU if that is the price to pay for a Deal, they will not countenance No Deal.

Yes a sizeable 40% of voters will back No Deal rather than a second EU referendum or staying in the SM and CU but that is still far short of a majority
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Interesting Hunt says he met Henry Kissinger who says he was asked to write an article backing Remain but declined as the world needed 'an independent British voice'
    Indeed - are you impressed by his speech - I certainly am
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

It is alright, I have heard better.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

My favourite recent Four Yorkshireman failure was when some youthful twonk at a Miliband-era conference complained of his poverty, tweeting it from his iPad.

I had a woman working for me once who complained about how tough they were finding things financially.

One of the team asked her if her next holiday was the 3rd or 4th that year.........

Many, many years back I worked as part of a team and we were all bemoaning about all things financial on a Friday afternoon. One of the young ladies who was complaining came in on the Monday and was excitedly telling everyone about the brand new car they had ordered at weekend......

Different people have different ideas of finding things tough it seems :-)
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,722
    RoyalBlue said:

HYUFD said:

RoyalBlue said:

HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

I'm not sure even the Festival of Britain reenactment will distract people from the retro food rationing. The difference is that then we were under attack. This time it's completely unforced. We voted for it.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

It is alright, I have heard better.
    There speaks a Boris supporter
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    Hunt promises 'a true Brexit for the 52%' but 'a generous Brexit for the 48% too'. Looks like a clear shift back to the pro Deal and anti ERG camp on his part
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079
    HYUFD said:

Hunt promises 'a true Brexit for the 52%' but 'a generous Brexit for the 48% too', he even mentions the end of discussions may not need to any Brexit at all

Get this man in no.10 without delay.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,001
    HYUFD said:

Hunt promises 'a true Brexit for the 52%' but 'a generous Brexit for the 48% too', he even mentions the end of discussions may not need to any Brexit at all. Looks like a clear shift back to the pro Deal and anti ERG camp on his part

It's important to remember the 48%, because Brexit should not about satisfying the greatest number of Leave voters, but the greatest total number of voters.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Hunt promises 'a true Brexit for the 52%' but 'a generous Brexit for the 48% too', he even mentions the end of discussions may not need to any Brexit at all. Looks like a clear shift back to the pro Deal and anti ERG camp on his part

WTF is a "generous Brexit for the 48%"? A glass of champagne and a piece of Camembert for all?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

It's important to remember the 48%, because Brexit should not about satisfying the greatest number of Leave voters, but the greatest total number of voters.
    Would have been nice if that had been the approach from the beginning.
  • Options

*just joking.

Hope that Noren monster putt hasn't cost you Christmas.....
    I think even turkey twizzlers are off the menu now!
  • Options
    Labour considers a plan where everyone would work 4 days but be paid for 5 with bosses required to pass on efficiency savings from new technology to workers

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/labour-party-work-four-days-be-paid-for-five-z3kqpzk5t
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,869
    On Topic

Britain Elects

@britainelects
    Following Following @britainelects
    More
    Westminster voting intention:

LAB: 40% (+2)
    CON: 35% (-3)
    LDEM: 12% (+2)
    UKIP: 5% (-)

via @BMGResearch, 28 - 29 Sep
    Chgs. w/ 22 Sep
  • Options

HYUFD said:

WTF is a "generous Brexit for the 48%"? A glass of champagne and a piece of Camembert for all?
    A Deal
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Labour considers a plan where everyone would work 4 days but be paid for 5 with bosses required to pass on efficiency savings from new technology to workers

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/labour-party-work-four-days-be-paid-for-five-z3kqpzk5t

How about a plan where members of The Jezziah's inner circle get their brains to work for one day a week, and shut down on the other six?

It would still be one day a week more than their brains are working at present.
  • Options
    JICIPM

Chgs. w/ 22 Sep
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Indeed and it looks like the median voter is moving towards the Norway option, at least temporarily rather than a forced choice of Remain or No Deal
  • Options
    edited September 2018

HYUFD said:

I don't see what is confusing or upsetting about the term - obviously what is generous to some will still not satisfy others, bit clearly means a Brexit that does not aggravate every single person who voted remain. It's flexible and hardly defined, but as a sentiment it is reasonable.

As HYUFD suggests, he might try to sell something generous for the 48 as there simply being a deal. That would be a bit cheeky - it is not as though no deal satisfied all of the 52 - but it's still a message that could have been pushed a lot harder than it has been for all this time.
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    HYUFD said:

They people are absolutely clueless. But then these are also the people who want to ban automated trains (even if they are already automated).
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

How about a plan where members of The Jezziah's inner circle get their brains to work for one day a week, and shut down on the other six?

It would still be one day a week more than their brains are working at present.
    God help the economy if those 'brains' get into government
  • Options

On Topic

Britain Elects

@britainelects
    Following Following @britainelects
    More

Chgs. w/ 22 Sep

Yes, it's all over the place, probably because 38:38 is about where the support is.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

They people are absolutely clueless. But then these are also the people who want to ban automated trains (even if they are already automated).
    Corbynites are tech sceptic, see Williamson's praise for the Luddites
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Indeed and it looks like the median voter is moving towards the Norway option, at least temporarily rather than a forced choice of Remain or No Deal
    Sky reporting that Hunts speech and tone is the start of senior ministers marginalising the ERG and uniting behind TM.

He received a generous ovation
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Sounds popular to me.

Trials elsewhere have deemed it effective haven't they
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

In France, the 45 hour working week worked really well, so who can blame the Labour Party for wanting to copy them.

Oh wait. No it didn't.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969

HYUFD said:

Sounds popular to me.

Free money is popular? What a shocker.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Sounds popular to me.

No
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

If there's no deal, there's no deal. The question is whether the population will blame the EU or the British government for any economic disruption.

And, here's the thing. Even if 90% of Conservative voters blame the EU, and only 10% blame the government, those are votes the Conservative Party can ill afford to lose.
  • Options
    notmenotme Posts: 3,293

HYUFD said:

Sounds popular to me.

No
    I’m sure they’ve found in some situations there’s no productivity loss from moving to four days. But that will be narrow and kept to certain professions. Should schools go to four day weeks? What about people who work on the checkout at Asda?
  • Options
    Mr. Floater, indeed. Like maps, we tend to centre ourselves as the financial norm (with an added dose of feeling over-taxed personally whilst 'those rich people' don't pay enough).
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    HYUFD said:
    Ha! This is the one weekend every two years that I actually feel a tiny bit European.

Actually, since 2000 I'd say GB and Ireland could compete with the USA. Continental Europe might struggle without GB, however.
  • Options
    notmenotme Posts: 3,293

HYUFD said:

My wife and I regularly discuss this. She argues that guards are essential because of passenger disorder etc. I point out that it isn’t a guard, it’s a second member of staff on the train after the driver tat is essential. Guards are responsible for starting the train, a function entirely able to be done by the driver and has been done by drivers on lighter railways for decades.

I point out she is arguing against driver operating only trains, when the next generation of train won’t even need a driver never mind a guard.

• Options
    OchEyeOchEye Posts: 1,469
    RoyalBlue said:

HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

The EU made their Red Lines very clear 2 years ago, and since then our "politicians" have been wasting time trying to split up the countries from the commission and do separate deals, then trying to get the commission to back track and back down to returning to tying to split the countries again - all in all, a very convincing demonstration of what happens when you try urinating into the wind.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,794

JICIPM

Chgs. w/ 22 Sep

The Boris Splat (or whatever the opposite of a bounce is).
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

In France, the 45 hour working week worked really well, so who can blame the Labour Party for wanting to copy them.

Oh wait. No it didn't.
    Do you mean 35 hour?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

If there's no deal, there's no deal. The question is whether the population will blame the EU or the British government for any economic disruption.

And, here's the thing. Even if 90% of Conservative voters blame the EU, and only 10% blame the government, those are votes the Conservative Party can ill afford to lose.
    Indeed, one thing the Ashcroft poll makes clear is the key swing voters on Brexit are now Tory Remainers who are closest to the median voter in technically now backing Brexit, unlike Labour Remainers who want a second referendum but opposing No Deal unlike Tory and Labour Leavers
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Guards on trains are necessary because:

* They help the blind and mobility-impaired to get on and off trains
    * They enable tickets to be sold to those who have not purchased one
    * They act as witnesses to violent events and peacekeepers to prevent them
    * They provide aid to the distressed
    * They enable the train to leave the station safely by spotting problems.

Taking guards away from trains is like taking emergency parachutes away from parachutists.

• Options

HYUFD said:

Be careful, a 4 day week will be incredibly popular. People are sick of life's constant rush.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

Taking guards away from trains is like taking emergency parachutes away from parachutists.

Can't the majority of those points be dealt with by people at the station? I would probably feel a bit uncomfortable on a totally unmanned cross-country train, but wouldn't bat an eye about being on an unmaned Tube train.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

So the Vancouver metro system that has neither drivers or guards fails health and safety
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Be careful, a 4 day week will be incredibly popular. People are sick of life's constant rush.
    Under Corbyn a 4 day week would soon be a no day week
  • Options

HYUFD said:

What really f**** me off is that the place I work at has a four day week culture for senior staff but not for juniors.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Vote for Jez get an extra day in bed.
  • Options
    Mr. 86, can't have the same rules for the Inner and Outer Party members, comrade.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

HYUFD said:

Vote for Jez get an extra day in bed.
    At first one, but then five!
  • Options
    RobD said:

viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

Can't the majority of those points be dealt with by people at the station? I would probably feel a bit uncomfortable on a totally unmanned cross-country train, but wouldn't bat an eye about being on an unmaned Tube train.
    Trains run from about 4am to about 2am. The non-major stations are only manned from about 7am to about 6pm.

To give a real-life example: recently I witnessed an altercation between two groups of youth which involved a lot of pushing, shoving, bottle-throwing and threats of stabbing. One of the parties was left on the train and was alternately angry and (as the shock kicked in) considerably distressed. The guard stepped in, handled the situation and restored order, and got the traveller to another guard at the next station so the police could get involved.

There are other examples. The mentally disabled find train travel challenging and need help getting on and off. People in wheelchairs face similar problems. Lone women late at night will also need an independent witness to help them feel safe.

And so on.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Oh wait. No it didn't.
    Do you mean 35 hour?
    That's the one.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Sky reporting that Hunts speech and tone is the start of senior ministers marginalising the ERG and uniting behind TM.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2018/09/30/conservative-party-conference-day-one-live-theresa-may-boris/

Jeremy Hunt compared the European Union to the Soviet Union as he warned Brussels: You cannot keep us prisoner.
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

We aren't talking about guards, talking about drivers. DLR is driverless, the underground could be made driverless.

According to last Labour manifesto, that would require somebody to sit there...a bit like lift attendants.
  • Options
    Floater said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2018/09/30/conservative-party-conference-day-one-live-theresa-may-boris/

Jeremy Hunt compared the European Union to the Soviet Union as he warned Brussels: You cannot keep us prisoner.
    The EUSSR nuts below the line are going to have a field day. :p
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091

JICIPM

Chgs. w/ 22 Sep

35% is the lowest Tory poll rating since June 2016 (before May became leader).
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

JICIPM

Chgs. w/ 22 Sep

35% is the lowest Tory poll rating since June 2016 (before May became leader).
    You're saying it's an outlier?

*innocent face*
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,309
    edited September 2018
    Floater said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

The conference will be interesting to see how and if ministers marginalise Boris and row in behind TM

Todays speech by Hunt was terrific and the speeches from Ruth Davidson, other ministers, conservative mayoral candidate Shaun Bailey, a Windrush descendant, and TM speech itself will be interesting

See Javid and David Davis have both atttacked Boris's Irish bridge

Lord Digby Jones attacks Boris as a irrelevant and seriously offensive. Sky saying there is no doubt a great deal of bash Boris going on
  • Options

viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

So the Vancouver metro system that has neither drivers or guards fails health and safety
    I was talking about the common-or-garden trains, not metro/tube services, whose short journey times and frequent stops put them in a different category.
  • Options
    Re golf

Why have the number of top level Scottish golfers declined in the way that top level Scottish footballers have ?
  • Options
    viewcode said:

viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

I was talking about the common-or-garden trains, not metro/tube services, whose short journey times and frequent stops put them in a different category.
    Driverless trains are the future
  • Options

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

They have also recently started testing driverless street trams in Germany.
  • Options
    Sky reporting Hunt's speech has gone down very well and his betting odds have moved
  • Options

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

...which doesn't mean they're good
  • Options
    Floater said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Out-Borising Boris in the hyperbole stakes.....?
  • Options
    viewcode said:

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

...which doesn't mean they're good
    I am perfectly happy with them. Far more so then cars
  • Options
    Hunt will presumably have to flee to the US now or risk being imprisoned by the EU.
  • Options
    alex.alex. Posts: 4,658

Re golf

Why have the number of top level Scottish golfers declined in the way that top level Scottish footballers have ?

Expansion of the game and money. 1) Scottish golfers simply make up a far smaller proportion of the overall golfing population 2) It's much more expensive to play the game.
  • Options

Floater said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Out-Borising Boris in the hyperbole stakes.....?
    More important coming from Hunt. He is a serious politician
  • Options
    Hunt

At the moment you, European friends, seem to think the way to keep the club together is to punish a member who leaves, not just with economic disruption, but even by breaking up the United Kingdom with a border down the Irish Sea…

“The EU was set up to protect freedom – it was the Soviet Union that stopped people leaving. The lesson from history is clear – if you turn the EU club into a prison, the desire to get out of it won’t diminish, it will grow, and we won’t be the only prisoner that wants to escape…
This discussion has been closed.