Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Polling boost for beleaguered Theresa as the Tory conference o

Comments

• Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,856
    edited September 2018

How would it, given DUP would presumably vote against as would soft Tories (and all Opposition parties).

We would then have a constitutional and financial crisis, hurtling toward No Deal with no obvious solution in sight.

No - a Mayite fudge that resembles EEA+CU is the ONLY deal that can be agreed with EU and approved by Parliament.

There would probably not time for anything to happen if May’s deal is voted down. May resigns. A Leaver would take over. They would offer the EU a choice between CETA with no backstop or no deal. Which is what May should be doing now.

If the EU accept, there will be a short delay in A50 to get it done. If they refuse, there is no deal. In neither scenario would the DUP be upset - Leavers have no intention of accepting the backstop.

If May got Chequers agreed by the EU basically unamended, she would still probably lose in the HoC but she might have a chance. But May’s sellout fudge will be voted down. Easily. The moment she concedes on the customs partnership and agrees the customs union it is all over. No trade policy is a red line for plenty of Tories.
    Why would the EU accept, and even extend A50? Brexiters would need to definitively resolve the Irish border issue which they have completely failed to do so far.

Simply saying the Irish border is not an issue does not mean it is no longer an issue.
    It is not an issue and not the UK’s job to resolve it.

If the EU insist on the NI backstop, there will be no deal. If they want to be sensible, it can be solved. But after no deal there is going to be a soft border whether they like it or not and at that time their leverage is gone. That is why no deal is probably the best tactical outcome for the UK.
    As I said, saying it is not an issue doesn’t make it go away.

Why would a No Deal (the Hardest of Brexits) mean a soft border?
    Because the UK will not impose a hard border - they will simply say that they are content to recognise EU compliant goods. And the ROI will not unilaterally impose a border because they will look ridiculous. So the customs services of UK and ROI will simply have no choice but to co-operate to put in place exactly the soft border systems that the ERG have suggested.

That is why the NI border issue has always been a bluff. Time to call.
    This is a massively high risk gambit.

More likely to me, such a course of action would likely create a civil emergency. It would lead to No Deal and a state of economic chaos.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,249
    Nigelb said:
    Bloody hell, they've altered it. All references to Salisbury Cathedral have been removed!

Somebody has weak nerves!
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    edited September 2018
    justin124 said:

Reading both sets of comments , it did not strike me that a firm commitment to writing off all debt had been made. 'Ambition' is far from that - and Corbyn did specifically refer to extending repayment periods etc.
    I would,however, be surprised if the commitment to abolish Tuition Fees were to be abandoned.

Of course, the people with tuition fees in 2017 (the very ones who were enthused) will be the ones with tuition fee debt in 2022.

They will have passed from the group of people who will benefit from Corbyn to the group of people left behind. We will hear from them in 2022.

The golden rule in politics is you always hear more from the losers than the winners.

If you make tuition fees free, and then fail to write off the debt of earlier generations who were unlucky when they went to University, then you have created many more losers than winners. The losers will be only to ready to gripe publicly on air and on TV.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,629
    Foxy said:

At a human level I must say I do feel sorry for her, and some respect. Most PMs give the impression that they're enjoying themselves a bit - Cameron was serene, Brown saw himself as sturdy saviour, Blair loved trying to change opinion, Douglas Home had nothing to prove. But May seems to be just morosely struggling on out of a sense of duty. There are worse things in politics.
    Historians will have fun debating whether May was an unlucky PM or not.

She doesn't seem to have much as far as I can see.

But I agree, on a human level, one feels sympathy. Who hasn't had a big event or presentation and felt that horrible tickle in the back of the throat two days before and gone 'Oh no.'?
    I suspect that it is a combination of nerves and ACE inhibitors. a nagging cough is a fairly frequent side effect, and they are the preferred anti hypertensives for diabetics.

Morphines are very good cough suppressants, and would most likely work, perhaps at risk of aTrainspotting type speech.

https://youtu.be/RCxgqHqakXc

And the reasons?, there are no reasons. Who needs reasons when you have Brexit?
    ‘Choose May, choose life’ doesn’t quite have the ring of credibility.

I would suggest Vocalzones as the best alternative.
    And a breathing coach.

• Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,307
    dixiedean said:

Interesting. But turns on ones definition of miracle. Are they saying divine intervention to overturn the laws of physics?
    Or the more commonly used definition of a highly unlikely but just about plausible event? Such as it is a miracle Leicester won the Premier League, or it is a miracle that Corbyn became leader.
    In these days where most grow up without a religious education, I would suspect the latter.
    One of my favourite examples was in my confirmation class discussing the miracle of the 5 loaves and the 2 fishes. The miracle was that everyone had brought their own food but when the example of sharing was given everyone shared and there was then enough for everyone with plenty left over.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:
    Bloody hell, they've altered it. All references to Salisbury Cathedral have been removed!

Somebody has weak nerves!
    I noticed that.
    Maybe the BBC wants to be allowed back next year ?

• Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,659

justin124 said:

Reading both sets of comments , it did not strike me that a firm commitment to writing off all debt had been made. 'Ambition' is far from that - and Corbyn did specifically refer to extending repayment periods etc.
    I would,however, be surprised if the commitment to abolish Tuition Fees were to be abandoned.

Of course, the people with tuition fees in 2017 (the very ones who were enthused) will be the ones with tuition fee debt in 2022.

They will have passed from the group of people who will benefit from Corbyn to the group of people left behind. We will hear from them in 2022.

The golden rule in politics is you always hear more from the losers than the winners.

If you make tuition fees free, and then fail to write off the debt of earlier generations who were uniquely unlucky when they went to University, then you have created many more losers than winners. The losers will be only to ready to gripe publicly on air and on TV.
    Yes, and each election makes that stitched up cohort bigger.

Fox jr is in that cohort, and doesn't want others in it, but some sort of writedown is needed. It is going to be bigger and harder the longer it is left.

Write it all off for domestic students, and bring down the higher rate tax threshold.
  • Options

How would it, given DUP would presumably vote against as would soft Tories (and all Opposition parties).

We would then have a constitutional and financial crisis, hurtling toward No Deal with no obvious solution in sight.

No - a Mayite fudge that resembles EEA+CU is the ONLY deal that can be agreed with EU and approved by Parliament.

There would probably not time for anything to happen if May’s deal is voted down. May resigns. A Leaver would take over. They would offer the EU a choice between CETA with no backstop or no deal. Which is what May should be doing now.

If the EU accept, there will be a short delay in A50 to get it done. If they refuse, there is no deal. In neither scenario would the DUP be upset - Leavers have no intention of accepting the backstop.

If May got Chequers agreed by the EU basically unamended, she would still probably lose in the HoC but she might have a chance. But May’s sellout fudge will be voted down. Easily. The moment she concedes on the customs partnership and agrees the customs union it is all over. No trade policy is a red line for plenty of Tories.
    Why would the EU accept, and even extend A50? Brexiters would need to definitively resolve the Irish border issue which they have completely failed to do so far.

Simply saying the Irish border is not an issue does not mean it is no longer an issue.

If the EU insist on the NI backstop, there will be no deal. If they want to be sensible, it can be solved. But after no deal there is going to be a soft border whether they like it or not and at that time their leverage is gone. That is why no deal is probably the best tactical outcome for the UK.

Because the UK will not impose a hard border - they will simply say that they are content to recognise EU compliant goods. And the ROI will not unilaterally impose a border because they will look ridiculous. So the customs services of UK and ROI will simply have no choice but to co-operate to put in place exactly the soft border systems that the ERG have suggested.

That is why the NI border issue has always been a bluff. Time to call.
    This is a massively high risk gambit.

More likely to me, such a course of action would likely create a civil emergency. It would lead to No Deal and a state of economic chaos.

Archer lives in Australia. Why would he care about that?

• Options
    ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

It's quite entertaing to watch all the Mercedes fans who whinged endlessly about Ferrari team orders tying themselves in knots about how Mercedes are quite right to use them themselves to let a slower car in front of a faster car...

There are some of us who whinge about team orders, irrespective of where they originate.
    That said, I do understand it’s a business as much as a sport.
    Not a fan of them myself.

I just think the contortions are amusing.
    Given your reports of the contortions you engage in with your organ.....
    :smile:
    I never perform contortions on the organ. Lots of nice combination buttons for me to use. That means I always come in hole...
    I’m told that finding the button can sometimes be difficult for solo organists...
  • Options

IF May fudges, as we both expect, and she is voted down by an unholy alliance of the ERG and Labour, what happens next?

She would be presumably be replaced by a Harder Brexiter - Davis, Johnson, or perhaps Javid, and a swing to CETA+ - however that still needs to get through Parliament.

It's not an issue. If we refuse to deal with it and Ireland refuses to have a border then what happens next?
  • Options
    Good afternoon, everyone.

F1: rather more interesting race than last year. Although the Red Bull idea didn't come off, my thinking was proved right (namely they'd slice their way through the field so 67 for them to top score was too long).
  • Options
    You’d think the Republicans might hesitate to dilute the Endangered Species Act, looking at their polling...
    https://thehill.com/policy/energy-environment/409039-republicans-accelerate-efforts-to-overhaul-endangered-species-act
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

It's quite entertaing to watch all the Mercedes fans who whinged endlessly about Ferrari team orders tying themselves in knots about how Mercedes are quite right to use them themselves to let a slower car in front of a faster car...

There are some of us who whinge about team orders, irrespective of where they originate.

I never perform contortions on the organ. Lots of nice combination buttons for me to use. That means I always come in hole...
    I’m told that finding the button can sometimes be difficult for solo organists...
    I have had no complaints while playing duets though.
  • Options

justin124 said:

If you make tuition fees free, and then fail to write off the debt of earlier generations who were unlucky when they went to University, then you have created many more losers than winners. The losers will be only to ready to gripe publicly on air and on TV.
    Which is why Corbyn will just pretend he will write off the debt again. Worked last time and there would be even more winners from that next time.

Numbers won't add up but since when have they cared about that?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:
    Ah, thanks. I thought it might be something about requiring a taste-tester before drinking the champagne. ;)
  • Options

ydoethur said:
    Ah, thanks. I thought it might be something about requiring a taste-tester before drinking the champagne. ;)
    Well, as it says in the classics, who knows what they Putin?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

dixiedean said:

Interesting. But turns on ones definition of miracle. Are they saying divine intervention to overturn the laws of physics?
    Or the more commonly used definition of a highly unlikely but just about plausible event? Such as it is a miracle Leicester won the Premier League, or it is a miracle that Corbyn became leader.
    In these days where most grow up without a religious education, I would suspect the latter.
    One of my favourite examples was in my confirmation class discussing the miracle of the 5 loaves and the 2 fishes. The miracle was that everyone had brought their own food but when the example of sharing was given everyone shared and there was then enough for everyone with plenty left over.
    Though like most miracles and healings in the Gospels is much more meaningful when interpreted in a metaphorical rather than literal way.

Which is the better lesson?

1) When Jesus is giving a sermon, don't bother packing lunch

or 2) When following Jesus, there will be sustenance in abundance, even for those who possess nothing..
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527

justin124 said:

I understand that point - though suspect that the losers will still be more inclined to blame those who imposed the debt on them in the first place - ie the Tories and Libdems.
    Similar resentment is likely from those parents who were in a position to pay the fees upfront for their sons and daughters. In such cases the debt will no longer exist - having been paid off.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    My other half has Bodyguard on the iplayer. Is this an accurate portrayal of T May's time as Home Sec :O !?
  • Options
    I
    ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

I have had no complaints while playing duets though.
    OK, I have to admit defeat, as I have work to do, unlike all these idle teachers....
    😊

• Options

justin124 said:

Which is why Corbyn will just pretend he will write off the debt again. Worked last time and there would be even more winners from that next time.

Numbers won't add up but since when have they cared about that?
    I agree no-one left in Labour can do the simplest sums.

As regard the policy, I'd be in favour of removing tuition fees, writing off the debt and modestly reducing the number of people going to University.

As always when I agree with Labour, I just wonder if they are seriously interesting in implementing the policy, as believable costings never seem to get done.

If you were keen to do it, you would have worked out how much you are going to have put up the higher rate of tax.
  • Options
    Pathetic to remove that Salisbury message.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

justin124 said:

I understand that point - though suspect that the losers will still be more inclined to blame those who imposed the debt on them in the first place - ie the Tories and Libdems.
    Similar resentment is likely from those parents who were in a position to pay the fees upfront for their sons and daughters. In such cases the debt will no longer exist - having been paid off.
    I think Dr Fox is right.

It is completely unsustainable to create a stitched-up generation (& it will be electorally very damaging as well).

I think making tuition fees free goes hand-in-hand with writing off the existing debt.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,780
    GIN1138 said:

Anyone know what Theresa's "compromise" with the EU is going to entail?

I thought Chequers WAS the compromise?

Therein lies the problem - it already wasn't acceptable to, well, pretty much everybody, and it is hard to see how tilting it yet further to the EU will make more people happy.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

I think Dr Fox is right.

It is completely unsustainable to create a stitched-up generation (& it will be electorally very damaging as well).

I think making tuition fees free goes hand-in-hand with writing off the existing debt.
    I don't disagree at all. What about those parents who actually paid the fees rather than see their children incur the debts?
  • Options

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

I think Dr Fox is right.

Of course he's right. Everybody except uni vice chancellors, who are invariably dicks, Lord Browne, who admits he is a perjurer, and the Student Loans Company, who are so thick they do not know the order of the months of the year - I really wish I was making that up - knows the system is a shambles.

The snag is nobody has yet come up with a meaningful idea to replace it.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,002

IF May fudges, as we both expect, and she is voted down by an unholy alliance of the ERG and Labour, what happens next?

She would be presumably be replaced by a Harder Brexiter - Davis, Johnson, or perhaps Javid, and a swing to CETA+ - however that still needs to get through Parliament.

It's not an issue. If we refuse to deal with it and Ireland refuses to have a border then what happens next?
    Nobody is going to give a fuck about the NI border in the event of no deal as we'll have plenty of other problems to worry about.

The maritime borders between the 6 and 26 counties are also ill defined and subject to competing claims. So that whole bucket of shit could get kicked over too.
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    justin124 said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

I think Dr Fox is right.

I don't disagree at all. What about those parents who actually paid the fees rather than see their children incur the debts?
    I suspect that there will be little sympathy for such people from a Corbyn Gov't.

Like the families of dementia patients, who have to pay for their care, it is perfectly fine for electoral purposes to create a highly disadvantaged subset (provided the subset is small).

In fact, before May's blundering, I bet hardly anyone knew that New Labour were the architects of that vicious and unfair policy. Even after May's blundering, most people still think it is something the Tories were prevented from introducing in 2017.

So, you can be as unfair as you like to parents who were wealthy enough to pay off their son's and daughter's tuition fees.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

I think Dr Fox is right.

Of course he's right. Everybody except uni vice chancellors, who are invariably dicks, Lord Browne, who admits he is a perjurer, and the Student Loans Company, who are so thick they do not know the order of the months of the year - I really wish I was making that up - knows the system is a shambles.

Except of course every other country in the EU, who somehow manage to have either no fees or modest fees.

(I am not against modest fees).

I suspect if France or Germany or the Netherlands can provide University education with affordable fees, so can we.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,997
    ydoethur said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

I think Dr Fox is right.

Cough. Means-tested grants. Cough. Worked reasonably when I were a lad.
  • Options
    King Cole, the numbers were much smaller then. Blair decided half the population needed a degree, and the numbers ballooned.
  • Options

King Cole, the numbers were much smaller then. Blair decided half the population needed a degree, and the numbers ballooned.

Accept that, but surely that’s better than loans which never get repaid.
  • Options
    JonathanDJonathanD Posts: 2,400

A percentage of loans never getting paid is a feature of the system, not a bug. Its simply a progressive graduate tax that can't be escaped from by moving abroad.

Who is going to scrap student fees when it means taxes going up on everyone else?
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,307
    Oh Rory, what a mess. This is getting seriously close.
  • Options
    JonathanD said:

A percentage of loans never getting paid is a feature of the system, not a bug. Its simply a progressive graduate tax that can't be escaped from by moving abroad.

Who is going to scrap student fees when it means taxes going up on everyone else?
    Why can’t it be escaped by moving abroad. If my (teacher) grandson moves to Thailand to teach, how is the the UK going to get access to his Thai salary?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    The 18th getting some action today.....
  • Options
    JonathanDJonathanD Posts: 2,400

JonathanD said:

Why can’t it be escaped by moving abroad. If my (teacher) grandson moves to Thailand to teach, how is the the UK going to get access to his Thai salary?
    In Thailand he would get away with it at the moment, even though legally he is still liable. In some European countries there is crosschecking that goes on and catches people that way.

It all depends if he wanted to return to the UK in the future or was happy to live abroad for the rest of his career.
  • Options
    Half a point, half a point, half a point onward......
  • Options
    JonathanD said:

JonathanD said:

In Thailand he would get away with it at the moment, even though legally he is still liable. In some European countries there is crosschecking that goes on and catches people that way.

It all depends if he wanted to return to the UK in the future or was happy to live abroad for the rest of his career.
    Australia? And if he returns from Thailand does he have to catch up, or just continue from where he is now.
  • Options

JonathanD said:

JonathanD said:

Australia? And if he returns from Thailand does he have to catch up, or just continue from where he is now.
    Because he should have been paying while abroad, he would be liable for arrears.
  • Options
    Christmas might be on in Chez Urquhart after all.....
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

JonathanD said:

JonathanD said:

Because he should have been paying while abroad, he would be liable for arrears.
    Ah thanks. He’s not thinking on those lines at the moment; happy and fulfilled teaching in a primary school in a fairly tough part of Basildon.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,011
    edited September 2018
    GIN1138 said:

Most likely it will be Chequers Plus ie stay in the SM and CU with a slightly different name after Brexit.

It was clear from her Marr interview this morning when May said she was working for a Deal that her talk of No Deal as a last resort was just lip service to the Tory right, she is not actually going to do it
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

Most likely it will be Chequers Plus ie stay in the SM and CU with a slightly different name after Brexit.

It was clear from her Marr interview this morning when May said she was working for a Deal that her talk of No Deal as a last resort was just lip service to the Tory right, she is not actually going to do it
    This will be same Theresa May who went to the country last year on a manifesto saying we were definitely leaving the SM and definitely leaving the CU? Why should she keep her job?
  • Options

ydoethur said:

JonathanD said:

JonathanD said:

Ah thanks. He’s not thinking on those lines at the moment; happy and fulfilled teaching in a primary school in a fairly tough part of Basildon.
    Bottom line is, if you intend to go abroad, and stay abroad, you can dodge the SLC. This is because they are a bunch of useless third rate cretins who would be unable to find their genitals if standing naked in front of a full length mirror, er, they do not sue through foreign courts for monies owed.

However, if you came back here for any length of time and especially if you took a job, they will almost certainly swoop, and very hard. And there's no way of dodging them because of the way the repayment system works.
  • Options

We really don't need, or want, a running commentary from SeanT's bedroom ...
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    "Europe Elects
    @EuropeElects

Germany, Civey poll:

CDU/CSU-EPP: 27% (-1)
    SPD-S&D: 17% (-1)
    AfD-EFDD: 17% (+1)
    GRÜNE-G/EFA: 16% (+1)
    LINKE-LEFT: 10%
    FDP-ALDE: 9% (+1)

Field work: 23/09/18 – 30/09/18
    Sample size: 11,919"
  • Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223
    edited September 2018
    HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

May has made her red lines clear. The EU has done the same. There is no overlap, hence the impasse.

She has a simple choice. She can cave, and try to sell continued SM/CU membership or the de facto cession of Northern Ireland as somehow being compatible with the Brexit vote, or she admits that the negotiations have failed, and we will leave with no deal. Thanks to her stubbornness, she will do neither.

I expect that it will be the EU that declares the negotiations dead in November, at which point the British domestic crisis will begin.
  • Options
    Mr. Urquhart, did you back the USA to win?
  • Options

That's the Ridden Cup!

More seriously it's looking very close here. Molinari against Mickelson will I think be key. If Molinari holds on Europe should win.

If Rahm can hold his nerve that makes life easier...but you wouldn't blame a rookie for cracking against Woods (what was the captain thinking with this lineup)?
  • Options
    The BBC is taking 20 minutes to update their "live" leaderboard. Piss-poor....
  • Options
    Mr. Mark, that's unusual. The BBC is usually excellent at sports coverage.

• Options

The BBC is taking 20 minutes to update their "live" leaderboard. Piss-poor....

They're signalling they think it will be a dead heat...

And they might be right!
  • Options
    America should have chosen two other players than Woods and Mickelson. May have cost them the win.
  • Options
    Tense Ryder Cup afternoon but looking better
  • Options
    alex.alex. Posts: 4,658
    ydoethur said:

That's the Ridden Cup!

More seriously it's looking very close here. Molinari against Mickelson will I think be key. If Molinari holds on Europe should win.

If Rahm can hold his nerve that makes life easier...but you wouldn't blame a rookie for cracking against Woods (what was the captain thinking with this lineup)?
    Which captain? The American one, who knows?
  • Options

America should have chosen two other players than Woods and Mickelson. May have cost them the win.

Woods has been rubbish. He wins one big competition and everyone thinks he is back in his prime. In truth his time has passed
  • Options
    alex. said:

ydoethur said:

That's the Ridden Cup!

Which captain? The American one, who knows?
    Rahm held his nerve. Won on the 17th 2&1.
  • Options

Woods has been rubbish. He wins one big competition and everyone thinks he is back in his prime. In truth his time has passed
    Well, a Tiger has been tamed by Rahm. Well done the Spaniard.

We need two of the final six. We're ahead in four.

I stand by my prediction that Molinari is the key.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

It is great to be oblivious to Brexit even if we want Europe to win
  • Options

ydoethur said:

We're all burned out with Brexit, so it's nice to see some other Woods getting burned...
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Using the EU flag for Europe is going to look a bit silly next time round.
  • Options
    Poulter cracking shot, Fowler now in the water, getting very close
  • Options
    alex. said:

ydoethur said:

They should do what Australia did and quarter it with the Union flag.

It would look a bit stupid, but then I've never been a big admirer of the current flag. Cheap ripoff of the old US flag.
  • Options

Yes, including on spread....Best hope now is Europe creep over the line and we won't be forced to drink rolla-cola for Christmas lunch.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

alex. said:

ydoethur said:

Still creates a bit of a problem if a Norwegian or Swiss golfer manages to sneak into the team.
  • Options

Yes, including on spread....Best hope now is Europe creep over the line and we won't be forced to drink rolla-cola for Christmas lunch.
    Europe on a roll now
  • Options
    alex. said:

ydoethur said:

alex. said:

ydoethur said:

Still creates a bit of a problem if a Norwegian or Swiss golfer manages to sneak into the team.
    The likelihood of this being, ummm....
  • Options
    Mr. Urquhart, we used to dream of having cola for Christmas. Would've been like a present from Jesus himself. We had to make do with rainwater from a bucket.
  • Options

Europe on a roll now
    I know.....
  • Options

Mr. Urquhart, we used to dream of having cola for Christmas. Would've been like a present from Jesus himself. We had to make do with rainwater from a bucket.

From where did you get the bucket? We used to have to run out with our hands cupped!
  • Options

Europe on a roll now
    They have a minimum of 13 points. They need a bit more.
  • Options
    It is a fair point but this is bigger than her
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,786

You had buckets! Luxury!
  • Options
    King Cole, we wove it together with strands we found in the abandoned asbestos factory.
  • Options

From where did you get the bucket? We used to have to run out with our hands cupped!
    Ands? You 'ad 'ands!

We 'ad to scoop out t'imside of yoomgest's head, and use it to scoop dog piss off pavement!
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Europe on a roll now
    They have a minimum of 13 points. They need a bit more.
    Poulter, Molinari and Stenson are all highly likely winners.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,249
    edited September 2018

We are back to the desperate need for ideas and sense of direction.

A key to winning elections is to be the side that frames the basic question(s) to be answered by the election.
  • Options
    I reckon Europe will finish with 16.5 here.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Ands? You 'ad 'ands!

We 'ad to scoop out t'imside of yoomgest's head, and use it to scoop dog piss off pavement!
    The Four Yorkshiremen have a lot to answer for!
  • Options

HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

This will be same Theresa May who went to the country last year on a manifesto saying we were definitely leaving the SM and definitely leaving the CU? Why should she keep her job?
    She knows she won't keep her job with No Deal, she will fudge it in such a way she can say we are still technically leaving the SM and CU even if in reality in most respects we are staying in them
  • Options
    Poulter wins, Stenson dormy 5, need half a point
  • Options

It is perhaps bigger than her, or Rudd or Nicky Morgan, but it is not bigger than their constituencies. Lose them and the Tories are in opposition.

• Options
    edited September 2018
    RoyalBlue said:

HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

May has made her red lines clear. The EU has done the same. There is no overlap, hence the impasse.

She has a simple choice. She can cave, and try to sell continued SM/CU membership or the de facto cession of Northern Ireland as somehow being compatible with the Brexit vote, or she admits that the negotiations have failed, and we will leave with no deal. Thanks to her stubbornness, she will do neither.

I expect that it will be the EU that declares the negotiations dead in November, at which point the British domestic crisis will begin.
    What she will concede is greater alignment on services to coincide with the greater alignment she has already conceded on goods and the Irish backstop will be NI effectively stays in the Customs Union in all but name. She might also get some sort of Liechtenstein scenario on FoM.

It was clear from Marr this morning May has no desire for No Deal beyond paying lip service as a last restort to it for hardened Brexiteers
  • Options
    Molinari dormy 3 - Europe have won
  • Options

Has anyone ever not won from dormie 5 ?
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Ands? You 'ad 'ands!

Four Yorkshiremen? you were lucky!

We had to make do with a Yorkie Terrier, and he had only 3 legs...
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Not possible - best is a half
  • Options
    Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

Ands? You 'ad 'ands!

Four Yorkshiremen? you were lucky!

We had to make do with a Yorkie Terrier, and he had only 3 legs...
    Terrible thing, hunger........
  • Options
    All over. Best team won, USA have been piss poor this week. I think the foursomes on Friday they were +13...4 pairs of world class players, 13 over par, it just terrible.
  • Options
    Molinari wins it!

• Options
    My favourite recent Four Yorkshireman failure was when some youthful twonk at a Miliband-era conference complained of his poverty, tweeting it from his iPad.
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    Pulpstar said:

Do I have to make a full confession about a brook, a duff approach shot and a collapse on the last hole?
  • Options
    Mickelson in water - concedes - 14.5 on board. Now how big will the win be
  • Options

Mickelson in water - concedes - 14.5 on board. Now how big will the win be

Bites nails.....
  • Options

All over. Best team won, USA have been piss poor this week. I think the foursomes on Friday they were +13...4 pairs of world class players, 13 over par, it just terrible.

American golf not in a great place - maybe they need to make it Rest of the World and get some help from Asia.....
This discussion has been closed.