Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » When some men want to be humiliated and embarrassed they hire

123457»

Comments

• Options
    Another amazing day in politics

Makes us oldies quite exhausted

Time to wish everyone a pleasant nights rest

Good night folks
  • Options
    Yeah we're going to get a Saturday night massacre when Mike's on holiday.

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1035289968166490118
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,843

I’ve just had an awful thought: she’s not going to get carried away and give her conference speech through the medium of dance is she?

The quiet woman is pumping up the volume...

https://youtu.be/w9gOQgfPW4Y
  • Options
    Speaking of context there is a surprisingly sympathetic write up of why she was dancing in the Guardian: https://theguardian.com/politics/2018/aug/30/theresa-may-busts-out-dance-moves-africa-trip-guides-scouts-nairobi
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    edited August 2018

In isolation? Yes.

As part of the full thread it's a part of, no, its a realpolitik assessment of real life as they face it.
    It is from a speech Netanyahu made, widely seen as a warning to Iran.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/at-nuclear-facility-netanyahu-lobs-stark-warning-at-iran/
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,385
    edited August 2018

Anazina said:

Every time I see these May dancing clips, I cannot help but warm to her a bit. She can’t dance. But good for her for throwing herself in there.

She seems to be having a better summer than most of the other party leaders.

Have I just put the mockers on her?
    For the sake of my sanity can PBers stop making bold predictions for the next 18 days.
    The entire anti-semitism row has been allowed to roll on through the summer to provide cover for Jeremy's steamy S&M affair with Mark Regev
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Most Labour supporters stopped wearing badges in about 1985.
  • Options

In isolation? Yes.

As part of the full thread it's a part of, no, its a realpolitik assessment of real life as they face it.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/at-nuclear-facility-netanyahu-lobs-stark-warning-at-iran/
    One-time Iranian leader Ahmedinejad once said Israel should be "erased from the pages of history".
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    I was quite amazed to read the other day that some of the major sports betting outfits will let folks bet on the major WWE events - WrestleMania etc. Apparently they won't allow stakes higher than $50, but don't punters know it's fixed?
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,311

Anazina said:

Every time I see these May dancing clips, I cannot help but warm to her a bit. She can’t dance. But good for her for throwing herself in there.

She seems to be having a better summer than most of the other party leaders.

Have I just put the mockers on her?
    For the sake of my sanity can PBers stop making bold predictions for the next 18 days.
    The entire anti-semitism row has been allowed to roll on through the summer to provide cover for Jeremy's steamy S&M affair with Mark Regev
    Kind of a Night Porter thang?
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

I was quite amazed to read the other day that some of the major sports betting outfits will let folks bet on the major WWE events - WrestleMania etc. Apparently they won't allow stakes higher than $50, but don't punters know it's fixed?

Just because it's fixed doesn't mean punters know the outcome.

Bookies have taken bets on scripted dramas before. Who Shot Mr Burns? is one I remember as a teen, bookies probably made a killing on that one but I seem to recall Maggie shot up the odds as it got closer. Who shot Phil? was another I seem to recall being on the news that bookies were taking bets on.
  • Options

Tim_B said:

Just because it's fixed doesn't mean punters know the outcome.

Bookies have taken bets on scripted dramas before. Who Shot Mr Burns? is one I remember as a teen, bookies probably made a killing on that one but I seem to recall Maggie shot up the odds as it got closer. Who shot Phil? was another I seem to recall being on the news that bookies were taking bets on.
    Spoilers!
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,036
    edited August 2018
    [edit: blockquote fuckup removed: aaargh!]

viewcode said:

TOPPING said:

The hostile environment was a response to an electoral mandate. It seems to have been implemented badly....

It also predated her time at the Home Office. A substantial number of the scandalous cases which have emerged were under Labour, which was the government which brought in the requirements for proving entitlement to benefits and to work here. Oddly, Theresa May's critics never seem to mention this. It must be an honest oversight on their part, I guess.
    Of the cases Javid apologised for, 2/3rds occurred under the Tory government. Previous administrations aren't innocent, but that's no reason for giving May a pass on doubling the severity of this scandal.
    I don't think she did 'double the severity'. The number of cases per year looks fairly similar.

A better criticism would be that the coalition government should have noticed the cases that had been happening under Labour, and improved the administration accordingly. But of course that won't do as a criticism, because SHE'S A NASTY TORY DELIBERATELY WRECKING PEOPLE'S LIVES or some other such vile garbage.
    12 cases in 8 years looks similar to 6 cases in 8 years?
    Sorry, I'm missing something. 12 cases of what versus 6 cases of what? Explain, please?
    Windrush - purile argument over who was more responsible between labour and conservatives and of course both were
    No, I was referring to the analyses that came after. @Stereotomy says that's as we are dealing with frequencies we should use a Poisson distribution (which gives us the variance since the mean and variance are the same number in Poisson). The person who came after maintains that we should use binomials. My take is that we should treat them like disease rates and that we need to know the number of cases that were investigated, not just the number affected. Once we know that, we can work out for each group the number that were affected and the number that weren't affected, do a 2x2 contingency table, and plug in the maths to an online calculator to do a chi-square test.

To explain. If you had a town with 12 people and all 12 die, then that is obviously different from a town with 12 people but only 6 die. But if you have a town with a million people and 12 die, then that's not very different from a town with a million people and 6 die.

Which is why I asked "12 cases of what?"
  • Options

NEW THREAD

• Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,311
    edited August 2018

In isolation? Yes.

One-time Iranian leader Ahmedinejad once said Israel should be "erased from the pages of history".
    I'm sure the current Iranian regime will be gratified to learn that they need to be strong before Israel will make peace with them.
  • Options

NEW THREAD

This discussion has been closed.