Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » What happens next if not much happens?

Comments

• Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    edited August 2018
    Foxy said:

tlg86 said:

@AlastairMeeks - If you want to point fingers at Leavers, I think you're far better off going after those who said doing a deal with the EU would be easy. That was a far worse claim to make and more depressingly I suspect our PM actually believed it when she triggered A50.

Of course, as a leaver myself, I'd point out that my fellow civil servants told a pack of lies about what would happen if leave won the referendum. To me those civil servants who agreed to make up those forecasts are complete and utter c****.

Surely the civil servants predictions were not lies. They may well be fairly described as wildly innaccurate and biased, but lies cannot be told about future events because the future is unknown.
    It's that kind of smartarsery - differentiating between dishonesty and lying - that makes me sick.
  • Options
    B&Q going to be running short on whitewash....
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Can we please just give up with the personal attacks?

It is making the site increasingly unpleasant to see the same people go at it over and over and over again.

We know where people stand. If you don't like them, just ignore them. Personal attacks and abuse help none of us.

Every time a Leaver quacks on about anti-Semitism without addressing the form of racism they acquiesced to, the point needs to be noted.
    And your position on Corbyn is ?
    I wish you were as assiduous in seeking clarification of Leavers’ viewpoints on the xenophobic lies they fell in behind mutely as you are of seeking my views on someone who I have never supported.
    I do not accept your premise about leave. There were alt right Farage style issues but the central theme was to take back control of our laws, immigration and money which is absolutely not xenophobic

Turkey is not joining the EU. That lie, the centrepiece of Vote Leave’s campaign, was told in order to scare voters that 76 million Turks were poised to descend on Britain. That’s about as pure xenophobia as you can get.
    I followed the referendum closely and while Turkey was mentioned by some the overriding message was to take back control of our laws, borders and immigration and I nearly voted leave because of it. Absolutely nothing to do with xenophobia.

Indeed you seem to be the only poster on here who is possessed by the idea and not open to any reason.

It is a shame because apart from the xenophobia you are a very interesting poster
    Mentioned by some? The poster, complete with little footprints to hammer the point home, was on every bus stop in the land.
    That is an exaggeration. In my genteel part of the world we had no posters of any kind anywhere on our bus stops.
    I confess I have not conducted an exhaustive audit for that claim. Even you, however, must surely concede that the poster was emblazoned far and wide.
    Define and quantify "far and wide" please.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,306
    'Could be false?'

That statement implies there are things on Skwawkbox that are true.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

It is making the site increasingly unpleasant to see the same people go at it over and over and over again.

We know where people stand. If you don't like them, just ignore them. Personal attacks and abuse help none of us.

Every time a Leaver quacks on about anti-Semitism without addressing the form of racism they acquiesced to, the point needs to be noted.
    I wish you were as assiduous in seeking clarification of Leavers’ viewpoints on the xenophobic lies they fell in behind mutely as you are of seeking my views on someone who I have never supported.
    I do not accept your premise about leave. There were alt right Farage style issues but the central theme was to take back control of our laws, immigration and money which is absolutely not xenophobic

Turkey is not joining the EU. That lie, the centrepiece of Vote Leave’s campaign, was told in order to scare voters that 76 million Turks were poised to descend on Britain. That’s about as pure xenophobia as you can get.
    I followed the referendum closely and while Turkey was mentioned by some the overriding message was to take back control of our laws, borders and immigration and I nearly voted leave because of it. Absolutely nothing to do with xenophobia.

Indeed you seem to be the only poster on here who is possessed by the idea and not open to any reason.

It is a shame because apart from the xenophobia you are a very interesting poster
    Mentioned by some? The poster, complete with little footprints to hammer the point home, was on every bus stop in the land.
    That is an exaggeration. In my genteel part of the world we had no posters of any kind anywhere on our bus stops.
    I confess I have not conducted an exhaustive audit for that claim. Even you, however, must surely concede that the poster was emblazoned far and wide.
    I only saw it online, posted by people complaining about how bad it was.
    I don’t walk past any poster sites on my way to work, so I don’t normally see any posters. Those unlucky enough to drive to work may have different experiences of course.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,089
    edited August 2018

Cyclefree said:

I don’t walk past any poster sites on my way to work, so I don’t normally see any posters. Those unlucky enough to drive to work may have different experiences of course.
    It was certainly out there in the wild.

• Options
    The state of Greece shows us why it is crucial to chuck the Chequers deal - Boris

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2018/08/26/state-greece-shows-us-crucial-chuck-chequers-deal/
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,712
    tlg86 said:

Foxy said:

tlg86 said:

@AlastairMeeks - If you want to point fingers at Leavers, I think you're far better off going after those who said doing a deal with the EU would be easy. That was a far worse claim to make and more depressingly I suspect our PM actually believed it when she triggered A50.

Of course, as a leaver myself, I'd point out that my fellow civil servants told a pack of lies about what would happen if leave won the referendum. To me those civil servants who agreed to make up those forecasts are complete and utter c****.

Surely the civil servants predictions were not lies. They may well be fairly described as wildly innaccurate and biased, but lies cannot be told about future events because the future is unknown.
    It's that kind of smartarsery - differentiating between dishonesty and lying - that makes me sick.
    I objected to Project Fear at the time on here and how the campaign was far too negative, but it is simply not possible to lie.

For example we could each make predictions of what would happen with a No Deal Brexit, or following a Remain win in a #Peoplesvote. They are quite likely to be incorrect, but they would not be lies.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,216

Cyclefree said:

Oh I don’t deny it was used and was incorrect in its claims and there was something nasty in its approach. No idea how widespread it was but quite prepared to accept what you say about it being used widely.

In the lead up to the referendum I was badly ill with bronchitis and asthma, spent much of my time in the garden (and the Lakes) and eventually fled to Italy to recuperate about a week before the vote. I found the whole campaign quite dispiriting but did enjoy writing my first PB thread headers about it.
  • Options

There was no fourth Indy movie. It did not happen.
    Likewise there are at most 3 star wars movies, and they never made any sequels to the matrix.
  • Options

Even the lowliest legal assistant, the dumbest insurance lawyer knows that exaggeration undermines a claim.

And destroys your credibility.
    So you never saw the poster? Try that line and you really will destroy your credibility.
    If the poster you refer to is the one with the line of immigrants I associate that with Farage and condemned it at the time as I utterly condemn Farage.
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    Foxy said:

tlg86 said:

Foxy said:

tlg86 said:

I objected to Project Fear at the time on here and how the campaign was far too negative, but it is simply not possible to lie.

For example we could each make predictions of what would happen with a No Deal Brexit, or following a Remain win in a #Peoplesvote. They are quite likely to be incorrect, but they would not be lies.
    There is a difference between a pessimistic prediction made in good faith that turns out to be inaccurate and creating a so-called prediction to fit your existing narrative.

As a Remainer I have no problem in calling the latter lies and identifying that with elements of the Remain campaign - and yet I still feel that the Leave campaign was more dishonest.
  • Options

If they are still open
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,329

Likewise there are at most 3 star wars movies, and they never made any sequels to the matrix.
    Well why would they? The first film was perfect.
  • Options

If they are still open
    B&Q in trouble? Homebase is, but I thought B&Q was ok.
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979
    I have noticed on the Daily Telegraph website, Boris Johnson has published some more tripe equating Greece and its membership of the Euro to the UK's relationship with the EU. I have only read a few lines as I don't have access to the full story.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2018/08/26/state-greece-shows-us-crucial-chuck-chequers-deal/

How can a former Foreign Secretary be so lacking in judgement or understanding confuse the UK's current membership of the EU with a country and a currency we are not a member? The UK's EU membership and the monetary policy of Greece have nothing in common.

Boris is a disingenuous charlatan who seems to have a poor grasp of basic concepts or he is a nefarious shyster trying to warp political discourse for his own purposes. He is not putting up a sustainable and well thought out vision just a critic of a problem in another country. Johnson just keeps digging a bigger hole in which his rhetoric and the reality of the situation the UK finds itself diverge to even more perilous extremes. I cannot understand how this huge gap between reality and his delusion is still endorsed by anyone apart from extremist lunatics. Brexit on Johnsons terms is economic suicide.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

That’s not the one I was thinking of: I thought you ment the one showing the queue of people trying to get in. After all this one is at worst an exageration. “Turkey is applying to join the EU” would have been completely true at the time.
  • Options
    Just back in from dinner. A few points:

1. Oxford Simon. Wes Streeting and others (myself) want a Labour government. Yes Corbyn has unsavoury friends. But the alternative is a dogwhistle racist Tory government with interesting friends.
    2. Awful as the latest shooting in America is, that is the society that Americans vote for. We may find their gun culture and mass shootings distasteful but they keep voting for politicians who maintain it so they must have a different perspective.
    3. We do have to park the personal abuse. Lets not have political betting go the way that Facebook has gone for the Labour Party...
    4. Of course they want to persecute people making false anti-semitism claims (all of them) - I read that rich Jews across the globe are pulling the strings to drive their own shadowy adventire. What, you think thats antisemitic? Yiu must be a BLAIRITE then...
  • Options

The state of Greece shows us why it is crucial to chuck the Chequers deal - Boris

So Chuck Chequers and don't let the EU make rules with us out of the room? It doesn't sound like he believes in Brexit.
  • Options

If they are still open
    B&Q in trouble? Homebase is, but I thought B&Q was ok.
    Seems they are struggling. I was in the Landudno store the other day and there were more staff than customers. They are suffering from the same problems as Homebase but I hope they survive
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

That’s not the one I was thinking of: I thought you ment the one showing the queue of people trying to get in. After all this one is at worst an exageration. “Turkey is applying to join the EU” would have been completely true at the time.
    And the official position of the UK government was to support that application. But we have been over this hundreds of times.
  • Options

It's not really visible on that photo but it also shows an open door with a queue of footprints trekking towards it.

• Options

I have noticed on the Daily Telegraph website, Boris Johnson has published some more tripe equating Greece and its membership of the Euro to the UK's relationship with the EU. I have only read a few lines as I don't have access to the full story.

How can a former Foreign Secretary be so lacking in judgement or understanding confuse the UK's current membership of the EU with a country and a currency we are not a member? The UK's EU membership and the monetary policy of Greece have nothing in common.

Boris is a disingenuous charlatan who seems to have a poor grasp of basic concepts or he is a nefarious shyster trying to warp political discourse for his own purposes. He is not putting up a sustainable and well thought out vision just a critic of a problem in another country. Johnson just keeps digging a bigger hole in which his rhetoric and the reality of the situation the UK finds itself diverge to even more perilous extremes. I cannot understand how this huge gap between reality and his delusion is still endorsed by anyone apart from extremist lunatics. Brexit on Johnsons terms is economic suicide.

He makes me despair
  • Options

Foxy said:

tlg86 said:

Foxy said:

tlg86 said:

There is a difference between a pessimistic prediction made in good faith that turns out to be inaccurate and creating a so-called prediction to fit your existing narrative.

As a Remainer I have no problem in calling the latter lies and identifying that with elements of the Remain campaign - and yet I still feel that the Leave campaign was more dishonest.
    Dishonesty in political campaigning? who could have forecast that?

Political campaigns are full of hyperbole and misrepresentation. PB Tories seem particularly fond of forecasting that PM Corbyn would be like Venezuela run by Nazis for example, While the 24 hours to save the NHS is a Lab favourite.

Leave was simply more successful in tapping into the atavistic fears of Britons.

Its almost as if referendums are not the best way to decide these issues, but having done so, we should acknowledge that we have awoken dark forces in our society. By lancing the boil we have released a lot of foul infective pus. Lancing is only part of the treatment of a boil, it then needs disinfection.
  • Options

It's not really visible on that photo but it also shows an open door with a queue of footprints trekking towards it.

A good poster. Simple message and easy to understand. Probably why it gets bitter remainers so hot under the collar.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Cyclefree said:

And the official position of the UK government was to support that application. But we have been over this hundreds of times.
    This uk.businessinsider.com/nigel-farages-new-brexit-poster-2016-6 is the one I thought of. I’m not sure how anyone can defend it to be honest.
  • Options

I thought it was the other one as well. This one is not misleading as Turkey were making noises to join though recent events have probably put it back
  • Options

This is his conclusion:

Under the Chequers proposals, we are about to make a historic mistake and turn this country into a rules-taker from Brussels, with no say on those rules – not just for industrial goods and agri-foods but across a wide range of economic activity. Look at the humiliation of Greece – an EU member – and ask yourself how the EU will legislate with the UK out of the room, and when we can no longer do anything to protect ourselves from the imposition of those rules. Will the EU act in our interests and the interests of UK jobs and growth, or the interests of the EU?

The answer is clear. It is written in graffiti all over Greece. Why, then, are we proposing to turn the UK, in important respects, into the perpetual punk of Brussels? Chuck Chequers.
  • Options

Technical question, but how did you get the image to show? The best I could do was link to a webpage.
  • Options

This is his conclusion:

Under the Chequers proposals, we are about to make a historic mistake and turn this country into a rules-taker from Brussels, with no say on those rules – not just for industrial goods and agri-foods but across a wide range of economic activity. Look at the humiliation of Greece – an EU member – and ask yourself how the EU will legislate with the UK out of the room, and when we can no longer do anything to protect ourselves from the imposition of those rules. Will the EU act in our interests and the interests of UK jobs and growth, or the interests of the EU?

The answer is clear. It is written in graffiti all over Greece. Why, then, are we proposing to turn the UK, in important respects, into the perpetual punk of Brussels? Chuck Chequers.
    That is a good argument for Remaining or rejoining.
  • Options

Technical question, but how did you get the image to show? The best I could do was link to a webpage.
    If you click 'reply' and look at my post it will show you what I had to enter to get it to show. You just put the link to the image in an img html tag.
  • Options

DavidL said:

Cyclefree said:

This uk.businessinsider.com/nigel-farages-new-brexit-poster-2016-6 is the one I thought of. I’m not sure how anyone can defend it to be honest.
    Was the image doctored in any way? I believe it was used by the Guardian so unless you think they shouldn't use that image, I don't see why Farage couldn't use it.

Bottom line is, Merkel's stupid policy helped create it.
  • Options

This is his conclusion:

No - chuck Boris
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172

Even the lowliest legal assistant, the dumbest insurance lawyer knows that exaggeration undermines a claim.

And destroys your credibility.
    So you never saw the poster? Try that line and you really will destroy your credibility.
    If it is the red poster that WilliamGlenn has reproduced, then I have never seen it before.

Like cyclefree and DavidL, I never saw any posters during the Referendum in my part of the world.

Who ran the more dishonest campaign, Leavers or Remainers ... well, that is like trying to decide who is the bigger rogue, Trump or Netanyahu ?
  • Options

DavidL said:

Cyclefree said:

It is worth remembering that more than 3m immigrants came into the EU in 2016, mainly from the disastrous war in Syria. Some EU countries were erecting fences and under enormous stress. Free movement of those immigrants within the EU was a genuine concern and the background to that poster reflected the reality in several south eastern EU countries.

But these things need to be handled sensitively and Farage is an arse.
  • Options
    Deleted
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Such is politics. We will endure as a nation.

"Endure, Master Wayne. Take it. They'll hate you for it, but that's the point of Batman, he can be the outcast. He can make the choice that no one else can make, the right choice."
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    edited August 2018
    SeanT said:

It was the professed intent of David Cameron and other UK europhiles to "get Turkey into the EU", and the negotiations for that to happen were underway. The fact he was lying through his teeth, and knew it would never actually happen, simply came back to bite him on his back fat lying europhile arse. What a pity, never mind.

Cameron 2010: 'UK strongly supports Turkey EU membership bid'

Cameron 2016: "British Prime Minister on Sunday said that Turkey joining the EU is not 'remotely on the cards' after Brexit campaigners say the UK will not be able to veto Turkey joining."

And we are told the lying was on the Leave side. As for xenophobia - the objection to the Turks was that they are young, poor and numerous. Disliking or fearing people for being those things is not xenophobia- a word which in practice seems to mean "What are all these horrid toys doing in my pram?" in the current PB idiolect.
  • Options

This the one I was thinking of.

As I said above, I’m not sure how anyone can defend it.
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    tlg86 said:

DavidL said:

Cyclefree said:

Was the image doctored in any way? I believe it was used by the Guardian so unless you think they shouldn't use that image, I don't see why Farage couldn't use it.

I understood the image had been doctored so that it only showed young men. (Edit: I may be wrong on this but if I am, I’m sure someone will correct me.) So it wasn’t even an honest photo of what was happening in Europe's South Eastern borders. It was a disgraceful poster.

Quite apart from any other consideration, non-EU immigration is, and always has been, under our control.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Agreed times a million, Twitter is actually a more pleasant place to debate and argue than PB right now, and it is the ultra Remainers like Meeks and the ultra Leavers like everyone Meeks despises who are doing the damage.

They are actively damaging the site. Shame.

FWIW and in the spirit of ecumenical harmony, I agree with Nick Palmer and this wise threader. Indeed he and I have agreed on this (if nothing else) since the Brexit vote. In the end it will be fudged. It's what European politicians do. And maybe it is for the best. The fudge will please no one, some will hate it, many others will see a chance of nudging the fudge further in their desired direction. Sensible Leavers will think, well, at least we are out, we can work on the details later. Sensible Remainers will think, well, at least we honoured democracy and we didn't do too much damage to the economy, maybe we can re-enter the SM and CU under a new government,

Such is politics. We will endure as a nation. I still think we will thrive eventually, outside the EU but close to its orbit (we have no choice in the matter)

Incidentally and relatedly I have just been to Sweden. It is a prosperous yet oddly troubled nation. Their loyalty to the EU is, I sense, almost as schizo as ours, and they may do something even madder quite soon (like elect the Swedish Democrats, or at least make them a governing party in a coalition)

We forget that all of Europe is roiled by terrorism, immigration, globalism and the rest. We think we are alone in our angst. We are certainly not.

It is not everyday that I agree with SeanT, but I think that surprisingly little will happen with Brexit. I expect a Limbo Brexit, with the Transition arrangement agreed last Dec taking place in March, but Transition to an indefinite state. We will have Brexited, but not to the point of actually being in a different state.

In terms of the issues that we face, I agree that these are much the same in Sweden, and require common European solutions and co-ordination. That requires political structures and agreements, not just commercial ones.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

I understood the image had been doctored so that it only showed young men. So it wasn’t even an honest photo of what was happening in Europe's South Eastern borders. It was a disgraceful poster.

Quite apart from any other consideration, non-EU immigration is, and always has been, under our control.

But it was going to become EU immigration, is the point.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

I understood the image had been doctored so that it only showed young men. So it wasn’t even an honest photo of what was happening in Europe's South Eastern borders. It was a disgraceful poster.

I wasn't aware that there was an allegation that it had been doctored. If so, that is disgraceful.

As for non-EU immigration, isn't the issue that Germany took a unilateral decision and then wanted everyone else to help out? Once someone has an EU passport they are free to move to any member state. That's not say they'd all move here, but I think it's fair to raise this as an issue.

Incidentally, when our Navy vessel was picking up boats in the Med and dumping the people in Sicily, I was very much in favour of the Italians issuing them with Italian (i.e. EU) passports and pointing them in the direction of Britain.
  • Options

Is Turkey explicitly mentioned on the Breaking Point poster? Ta in advance.
  • Options
    brendan16brendan16 Posts: 2,315
    Cyclefree said:

This is his conclusion:

That is a good argument for Remaining or rejoining.
    So we can be in the room and get outvoted anyway?
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

Cyclefree said:

Well then, that’s the argument that should have been made.

The issue of how to deal with mass migration caused by war and terror is not an easy one and not one which could be reduced to Farage’s simplistic analysis and solutions.

I agree that Merkel’s actions were a strong contributory factor to the result. That does not excuse Farage’s actions.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,710
    SeanT said:

Agreed times a million, Twitter is actually a more pleasant place to debate and argue than PB right now, and it is the ultra Remainers like Meeks and the ultra Leavers like everyone Meeks despises who are doing the damage.

They are actively damaging the site. Shame.

FWIW and in the spirit of ecumenical harmony, I agree with Nick Palmer and this wise threader. Indeed he and I have agreed on this (if nothing else) since the Brexit vote. In the end it will be fudged. It's what European politicians do. And maybe it is for the best. The fudge will please no one, some will hate it, many others will see a chance of nudging the fudge further in their desired direction. Sensible Leavers will think, well, at least we are out, we can work on the details later. Sensible Remainers will think, well, at least we honoured democracy and we didn't do too much damage to the economy, maybe we can re-enter the SM and CU under a new government,

Such is politics. We will endure as a nation. I still think we will thrive eventually, outside the EU but close to its orbit (we have no choice in the matter)

Incidentally and relatedly I have just been to Sweden. It is a prosperous yet oddly troubled nation. Their loyalty to the EU is, I sense, almost as schizo as ours, and they may do something even madder quite soon (like elect the Swedish Democrats, or at least make them a governing party in a coalition)

We forget that all of Europe is roiled by terrorism, immigration, globalism and the rest. We think we are alone in our angst. We are certainly not.

I agree with pretty much all of this post.

Presumably, in keeping with this spirit of ecumenical harmony, you will no longer be labelling Remainers as traitors in future Sean? :wink:
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

tlg86 said:

DavidL said:

Cyclefree said:

I understood the image had been doctored so that it only showed young men. (Edit: I may be wrong on this but if I am, I’m sure someone will correct me.)

Who took the image?

The image surely is the property of a photo-journalist and is subject to copyright, no?
  • Options

No. In my head I had conflated the two posters, thinking that the slogan from the Turkey poster was on the image from the breaking point one.

They obviously didn’t make much of an impression at the time.
  • Options
    brendan16brendan16 Posts: 2,315
    Ishmael_Z said:

Cyclefree said:

And an estimated 80 per cent were young (single) men. The policy seemed to be the Titanic in reverse - women, children and the elderly last. Surely who gets our help should be based on who is most vulnerable not who can bully or bribe their way to the front of the queue?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,827
    edited August 2018

So why do you think Michael Gove regrets the tone of the Vote Leave campaign on Turkey?
    Well I did not see Turkey as an issue as I knew they would be years from joining. Indeed I voted remain
    I remember quite distinctly I, and several others, criticising the poster for playing on misleading fears. Demands people do so now which pretend no one did at the time are blatant, knowing lies, and thus a pretend criticism. So don't worry, that isn't a real issue.
  • Options

Who took the image?

The image surely is the property of a photo-journalist and is subject to copyright, no?

How would you doctor the image anyway? Photoshop is jolly clever but it seems to me extremely unlikely that women, old men etc have been edited out of that.
  • Options

The 'breaking point' poster doesn't mention Turkey and the Turkey poster doesn't have a doctored photo (just doctored facts) but both represent disgusting lies that right-minded Leavers ought to be embarrassed at.

There is no doubt these and other lies such as £350m per week extra for the NHS swayed the outcome; whether Leave would have won without lying has to be in doubt.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

So why do you think Michael Gove regrets the tone of the Vote Leave campaign on Turkey?
    Well I did not see Turkey as an issue as I knew they would be years from joining. Indeed I voted remain
    I remember quite distinctly I, and several others, criticising the poster for playing on misleading fears. Demands people do so now which pretend no one did at the time are blatant, knowing lies, and thus a pretend criticism. So don't worry, that isn't a real issue.
    That is a very good point and I do remember criticism at the time
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,865

I have a similar insistence regarding the non-existent third Godfather movie.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,330
    edited August 2018

The 'breaking point' poster doesn't mention Turkey and the Turkey poster doesn't have a doctored photo (just doctored facts) but both represent disgusting lies that right-minded Leavers ought to be embarrassed at.

There is no doubt these and other lies such as £350m per week extra for the NHS swayed the outcome; whether Leave would have won without lying has to be in doubt.
    It is water under the bridge now. The question is what happens next not what happened in the 2016 campaign
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

Who took the image?

How would you doctor the image anyway? Photoshop is jolly clever but it seems to me extremely unlikely that women, old men etc have been edited out of that.
    Having done some research, my apologies. It appears that the photo is genuine ie undoctored but that is of people moving from Croatia to Slovenia so not quite what Farage was claiming.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,770

Boris is a disingenuous charlatan who seems to have a poor grasp of basic concepts or he is a nefarious shyster trying to warp political discourse for his own purposes.

He can't be both?
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,338
    Are the idiots still trying to reconcile the two concepts?

Turkey is joining the EU was a scaremongering lie aimed at those racists amongst us.

Cameron supporting Turkey joining the EU was saying he wanted then to become a country that could join the EU which it was and is miles away from.

A Turkey that could join the EU is a very different country to the one that exists right now.

Why do people find this difficult to understand?
  • Options

Oh, fun! Can I play?

• Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125

I never saw the Turkey poster at all, even online.

I only saw the UKIP poster online. I said at the time that was Farage being Spoilt Bastard and wanting to be the centre of attention. Which he was with the death of Jo Cox a short time later that day - but not in the way he wanted. He could have killed Brexit with that stunt. Which, it isn't difficult to wonder, might have been his aim.
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    viewcode said:

Oh, fun! Can I play?

Or this one?

• Options
    Cyclefree said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Who took the image?

Having done some research, my apologies. It appears that the photo is genuine ie undoctored but that is of people moving from Croatia to Slovenia so not quite what Farage was claiming.
    How does that not show what Farage was claiming?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,980
    TOPPING said:

Turkey is joining the EU was a scaremongering lie aimed at those racists amongst us.

Cameron supporting Turkey joining the EU was saying he wanted then to become a country that could join the EU which it was and is miles away from.

A Turkey that could join the EU is a very different country to the one that exists right now.

How different would it have been? I suspect the GDP/capita gap would have been similar and that migration would have been almost entirely in one direction, as it was with the eastern european countries.
  • Options

It is water under the brdge now. The question is what happens next not what happened in the 2016 campaign
    I'm afraid the resentment will fester for a long, long time Big_G, particularly amongst the young.

We had some friends staying this weekend (not particularly young as it happens), they are not at all political but I was amazed at how vehemently angry they are about the way Brexit is panning out and how badly they feel Leave misled the country.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

Who took the image?

It seems likely to me that the image is the property of some right wing news site (Breitbart ?), which is how UKIP may have gotten permission to use it in a poster in the first place.

I could easily believe that, whilst not exactly doctored, the image may have been carefully chosen and cropped to emphasise the maleness of the migrants.
  • Options
    brendan16 said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Cyclefree said:

And an estimated 80 per cent were young (single) men. The policy seemed to be the Titanic in reverse - women, children and the elderly last. Surely who gets our help should be based on who is most vulnerable not who can bully or bribe their way to the front of the queue?
    True. Rather disgracefully, Britain has given refuge to precisely zero Syrian Christians over the last year, despite them being one of the most persecuted and vulnerable groups in that benighted land.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,770

It is water under the bridge now. The question is what happens next not what happened in the 2016 campaign
    True. But some seem obsessed with refighting the last war. Which they lost.
  • Options
    RobD said:

TOPPING said:

How different would it have been? I suspect the GDP/capita gap would have been similar and that migration would have been almost entirely in one direction, as it was with the eastern european countries.
    It has fulfilled is it one out of 25-odd necessary criteria. That would be pretty different.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

RobD said:

TOPPING said:

It has fulfilled is it one out of 25-odd necessary criteria. That would be pretty different.
    Meeting the 25 criteria didn't do much to dissuade people from the eastern european countries from leaving en masse.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,883
    Extra 70 Twitter followers on Socialist Sunday.

I am sure they will be bored shitless that 99% of my tweets are not about politics at all a mirror image of my new followers by the look of it.
  • Options
    RobD said:

TOPPING said:

RobD said:

TOPPING said:

Meeting the 25 criteria didn't do much to dissuade people from the eastern european countries from leaving en masse.
    So the fuck what? We are talking about Turkey joining the EU.
  • Options

It is water under the brdge now. The question is what happens next not what happened in the 2016 campaign
    I'm afraid the resentment will fester for a long, long time Big_G, particularly amongst the young.

We had some friends staying this weekend (not particularly young as it happens), they are not at all political but I was amazed at how vehemently angry they are about the way Brexit is panning out and how badly they feel Leave misled the country.
    It depends on outcomes. I do believe longer term there should be a responsible bid to re-join from dispirited remainers but Brexit we must, even if it is BINO
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,946
    edited August 2018

I’m 30. All but one of my mates voted Remain.

They have ALL got over it.

Edit: whoops, 31!
  • Options

Undoubtably true, and not only the people that you might expect. The fairly apolitical Mrs Foxy gets incandescent about how the Brexiteers are destroying the country.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,039

Nope. What was pivotal to the outcome was Blair's unforgivable refusal to impose transition controls on free movement from the new accession countries in 2004.

Without that there would have been no UKIP surge and no pressure for an EU referendum in the first place
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Cyclefree said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Who took the image?

Doesn’t the wording say that it’s about our borders?

Anyway, what I recalled - about doctoring - was incorrect so wanted to put that straight.

• Options
    Cyclefree said:

brendan16 said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Cyclefree said:

True. Rather disgracefully, Britain has given refuge to precisely zero Syrian Christians over the last year, despite them being one of the most persecuted and vulnerable groups in that benighted land.
    There would be some serious wailing were we to selectively provide refuge to Christians, no matter how justified it might be.
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    At least one branch of Momentum like the new rule changes:

https://twitter.com/MomentumBrent/status/1033788966145863680
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

tlg86 said:

Cyclefree said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Who took the image?

Doesn’t the wording say that it’s about our borders?

Anyway, what I recalled - about doctoring - was incorrect so wanted to put that straight.

Well the point is anyone who is issued an EU passport could come here. Now, that might be some time away (perhaps not that long now), but it's still a fair point. And notice that they are crossing between two EU member states, rather than staying in the first country they came to (though I guess that's because they were making their way to Germany).
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited August 2018
    TOPPING said:

RobD said:

TOPPING said:

None of the 25-odd criteria would close the GDP/capita gap.
    None of the 25-odd criteria would stop the drain of migration being one directional only.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

RobD said:

TOPPING said:

RobD said:

TOPPING said:

So the fuck what? We are talking about Turkey joining the EU.
    This time it'll be different?
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901

Extra 70 Twitter followers on Socialist Sunday.

I am sure they will be bored shitless that 99% of my tweets are not about politics at all a mirror image of my new followers by the look of it.

Give our love to Mr Putin
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,935
    viewcode said:

viewcode said:

Oh, fun! Can I play?

Or this one?

Technically the claim was correct. The best kind of correct ;)
  • Options

TOPPING said:

RobD said:

TOPPING said:

None of the 25-odd criteria would stop the drain of migration being one directional only.
    As I just said, so the fuck what? If it doesn't fulfil the criteria it doesn't join.

Are you whining about a second if not third derivative?
  • Options
    Watching the Bodyguard on BBC1 tonight any similarities between the Home Secretary and Theresa May are I assume purely coincidental
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Watching the Bodyguard on BBC1 tonight any similarities between the Home Secretary and Theresa May are I assume purely coincidental

Now do not give away the plot. Am recording the series for the winter dark nights
  • Options
    Awb683Awb683 Posts: 80
    When did Corbyn show any grit?
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    HYUFD said:

I found it a bit of a slow start. Though helped by Madden being easy on the eye. Hopefully it will ramp up a gear tomorrow - it was missing that intense Mercurio dialogue in ep 1
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

It seemed to me that Keeley Hawes had been studying Amber Rudd's accent and intonation.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

RobD said:

TOPPING said:

As I just said, so the fuck what? If it doesn't fulfil the criteria it doesn't join.

The scaremongering was about migration from Turkey, and I think one of the biggest drivers of migration is seeking a better standard of living. You're claiming it would be a different country, but it might not be different in the areas that matter.
  • Options
    edited August 2018

HYUFD said:

Now do not give away the plot. Am recording the series for the winter dark nights
    I don't think that adds much BigG beyond what has been trailed already and that Whitney Houston and Kevin Costner do not make an appearance.

Part 2 tomorrow
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited August 2018
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,883

HYUFD said:

It was fantastic first episode
  • Options

I *very* nearly voted Leave, probably would have done if I hadn't effectively given my vote to my then 17 year old son. I nevertheless never wavered from my opinion that Leave in general and Farage in particular were the biggest bunch of fucking conts on the face of the planet and that their campaign was shit from start to finish. I would expect the view of PB leavers to be the same and that they were not responsible for nor influenced by nor tacitly supportive of Farage and co; it is understandable if they are in fact embarrassed, but the situation doesn't justify hectoring demands that they should be.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

I found it a bit of a slow start. Though helped by Madden being easy on the eye. Hopefully it will ramp up a gear tomorrow - it was missing that intense Mercurio dialogue in ep 1
    Gradual setting of the scene but I thought the first 20 minutes were quite dramatic
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

RobD said:

TOPPING said:

Whether it fulfills the criteria or not is immaterial to the debate. It was also not in the control of the British electorate.
  • Options
    RobD said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

RobD said:

TOPPING said:

The scaremongering was about migration from Turkey, and I think one of the biggest drivers of migration is seeking a better standard of living. You're claiming it would be a different country, but it might not be different in the areas that matter.
    What the fuck are you talking about? The scaremongering was about Turkey joining the EU. Look at the posters. The clue is there.
This discussion has been closed.