Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » What happens next if not much happens?

SystemSystem Posts: 11,691
edited August 2018 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » What happens next if not much happens?

Like the media, we are attracted to drama. What if Trump is impeached? What if No Deal Brexit leads to economic meltdown? What if both major parties split? What if the EU collapses?

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,030
    first perhaps
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    edited August 2018
    Good article Nick, primarily because I agree with you ;). I think it very probable that not much will happen for several years (a hostage to fortune, if ever there was one!). I do think there will be a recession in '19/20 or, if we're lucky '20/'21, which will likely seal the Tory's fate.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    edited August 2018
    1) The reason for dumping Theresa May, or allowing her to retire after a successful and largely uneventful BINO, is that she is a lousy campaigner. She must go before the next election, and she knows it. Before then, the PM is relatively secure because no-one dare move against her for fear of handing the crown to a rival.

2) Labour will stay together because Corbyn is 69 and can't go on forever, and the antisemitism row can depart with him. Policy-wise, there is nothing in the 2017 manifesto to frighten the horses, and the centrists don't seem to have any policies of their own anyway.

3) Ukip's problem is that no-one in the party and certainly not Nigel Farage has any serious policy on Brexit except they are broadly in favour. Ukip's appeal (if any) has more to do with alt-rightism than Brexit, and the social media firms are getting better at blocking that: ask Plato.
  • Options
    FPT

welshowl said:

@Fysics_Teacher

Quite possibly. Though myself and I believe Alanbrooke of this parish and others would not fit the stereotype.

This stuff is important. We are surrounded every day by the culture of the Anglosphere. It’s so pervasive we don’t really see it as such. But there it is everyday, from the latest Hollywood movie, to ACDC in concert, to Game of Thrones, to the Indian Premier League, to Graham Norton’s sofa. I can almost hear the snorting amongst some that it’s all so low brow but that is the point: it’s popular.

Now there’s fantastic stuff from Europe but 200k watching Spiral in French with subtitles on BBC4, or bilingual Moliere at the Donmar is a cultural peashooter against daily 21century shock and awe.

Even here, look how we get fairly regular threads on US elections and we are all fairly au fait with who is who, and we all know who Malcolm Turnbull is, but a Swedish opinion poll pops up on their election in a couple of weeks, and most of us are puzzling over which party is which, and couldn’t really care very much. How many could name the Spanish PM straight off (even though he’s new)?

There’s nothing wrong here with this, we are bound to be more interested in what we can understand (literally).

That may be the answer to how we learn to love Europe: they promise to stop speaking languages we don’t understand and just use English instead. We’ll let them carry on driving on the wrong side of the road I suppose...
    How about a single European electric plug?
    Good point: another way Europe is somewhere else.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,313
    'I don’t see either of them fighting a 2027 election – for all the grit that they have both so amply demonstrated, common sense will dictate that it’s time to retire by 2025. At that point, both parties will face the challenge of choosing leaders with a viable, interesting project which can command a solid majority.'

In 2027 Corbyn would be 78.

I think I am right in saying that would make him the oldest party leader to fight an election since Gladstone in 1892.

Not to mention he would have suffered consecutive defeats before he got there.

I don't think even 2025 is realistic. I think both will be gone within two years.
  • Options

FPT

welshowl said:

@Fysics_Teacher

Quite possibly. Though myself and I believe Alanbrooke of this parish and others would not fit the stereotype.

This stuff is important. We are surrounded every day by the culture of the Anglosphere. It’s so pervasive we don’t really see it as such. But there it is everyday, from the latest Hollywood movie, to ACDC in concert, to Game of Thrones, to the Indian Premier League, to Graham Norton’s sofa. I can almost hear the snorting amongst some that it’s all so low brow but that is the point: it’s popular.

Now there’s fantastic stuff from Europe but 200k watching Spiral in French with subtitles on BBC4, or bilingual Moliere at the Donmar is a cultural peashooter against daily 21century shock and awe.

Even here, look how we get fairly regular threads on US elections and we are all fairly au fait with who is who, and we all know who Malcolm Turnbull is, but a Swedish opinion poll pops up on their election in a couple of weeks, and most of us are puzzling over which party is which, and couldn’t really care very much. How many could name the Spanish PM straight off (even though he’s new)?

There’s nothing wrong here with this, we are bound to be more interested in what we can understand (literally).

That may be the answer to how we learn to love Europe: they promise to stop speaking languages we don’t understand and just use English instead. We’ll let them carry on driving on the wrong side of the road I suppose...
    It would be a bugger for power surges if we tried to run every device in Europe off one plug.
  • Options
    On topic:

No change is always the most likely option. It must be why even though government parties are usually well behind in mid term when ‘anything must be better than this’, as an election gets closer and ‘anything’ becomes ‘that lot’ their polls almost alway improve.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,014
    It’s rarely as bad as you fear it might be or as good as you hope it will be!
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869
    Thanks, Nick, an interesting description of not much happening. Seems to me that, usually, things don't happen in any dramatic way. In fact, it often surprises me how frequently things get resolved without much drama.

What I'm hoping for is simply to de-couple from the EU so that we can slowly pull away from the things we don't want to engage with, and still be friendly partners for projects we do want to engage with. That's not cherry-picking, that's just common sense.

If the EU is willing for us to engage post-Brexit, of course. They presumably have the economic clout not to need non-EU partners for their projects, and so we may find we are obliged to reinvent the wheel ourselves on some things, but that's not wholly bad. Keeping up a range of skill-sets within our own population isn't a bad thing.

Good afternoon, everyone.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,749
    edited August 2018
    welshowl said:

So what does Remain do when the world doesn’t end?

The point about the Remain case is that there's a big world out there and we don't expect it to end. Connections are good things.

• Options
    ydoethur said:

FPT

welshowl said:

@Fysics_Teacher

It would be a bugger for power surges if we tried to run every device in Europe off one plug.
    :smiley:
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460

FPT

welshowl said:

@Fysics_Teacher

It is a good point.

But let’s all take a bet which way the Commission would want to harmonise things? Our better, safer plug to become standard? Thought not.

• Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,048

Corbyn's turning out to be worse than I feared. I knew he was someone who favoured Britain's enemies over our country (witness his IRA contacts), and this was shown with his reluctance to blame Russia over a chemical attack on our own country.

But I never expected him to be a low anti-Semitic piece of scum. He has quite spectacularly been worse than I feared.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,777
    Agree Mr Palmer. We pay orders of magnitude more attention to the goings on in Westminster than the typical voter. Brexit will probably pass largely unremarked because something will be cobbled together which is different but not too disruptive. To those on both sides wailing about the outcome I suspect the typical reaction will be "For god's sake shut up already - its done now."

I'm not so sure about Mrs May soldiering on. Of course you need colossal amounts of self-belief to become PM in the first place, but assuming she is not driven from office (how well did that work out long term last time the Tories tried it?), stepping down in late 2019 early 2020 would be smart. "Job done, time to hand over to a new generation".....(looks across HoC to an even older leader...)
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869
    ydoethur said:

FPT

welshowl said:

@Fysics_Teacher

:smiley:
  • Options
    FF43 said:

welshowl said:

The point about the Remain case is that there's a big world out there and we don't expect it to end. Connections are good things.

Couldn’t agree more. But I suspect we differ on how to connect.
  • Options
    welshowl said:

FPT

welshowl said:

@Fysics_Teacher

It is a good point.

But let’s all take a bet which way the Commission would want to harmonise things? Our better, safer plug to become standard? Thought not.

Are you saying the Europeans would reinvent our good old British gesture dating from Azincourt, and give us a two prong salute?
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,216
    Well, one thing which will have happened is that the Lib Dems will have disappeared.......

Not even a mention, Nick?

Poor Lib Dems ...... :(
  • Options
    welshowl said:

FF43 said:

welshowl said:

For instance see the previous comments on languages. Or even plugs if you want to be literal about it.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,090
    welshowl said:

FPT

welshowl said:

@Fysics_Teacher

It is a good point.

The Betamax of plugs.

If it's a choice between the flimsy US plug and the continental plug I'd choose the latter.

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,052
    edited August 2018
    Good article, the next general election could well.be May v Corbyn 2 and as today's Newspoll suggests replacing a leader does not always guarantee a poll boost, Morrison has if anything got a negative bounce though to be fair Dutton would likely have done worse.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.9news.com.au/article/06a4513c-19af-455a-970b-95ca967444f4

UKIP may be up a little but May can counteract that by winning some Labour and LD centrists
  • Options
    brendan16brendan16 Posts: 2,315

1) The reason for dumping Theresa May, or allowing her to retire after a successful and largely uneventful BINO, is that she is a lousy campaigner. She must go before the next election, and she knows it. Before then, the PM is relatively secure because no-one dare move against her for fear of handing the crown to a rival.

2) Labour will stay together because Corbyn is 69 and can't go on forever, and the antisemitism row can depart with him. Policy-wise, there is nothing in the 2017 manifesto to frighten the horses, and the centrists don't seem to have any policies of their own anyway.

3) Ukip's problem is that no-one in the party and certainly not Nigel Farage has any serious policy on Brexit except they are broadly in favour. Ukip's appeal (if any) has more to do with alt-rightism than Brexit, and the social media firms are getting better at blocking that: ask Plato.

Probably a fair assessment - but Mrs May seems determined to go on and on and on.

On your latter point who gets to decide what is legitimate free speech and whether you have the right to challenge any religion and its beliefs and the of its leaders and adherents because you might cause upset - or is it just the Catholic and Anglican church which is fair game. It might be your views that get banned or blocked one day.

I suppose that is the issue with social media being controlled by a small number of big corporations - they get to decide what you can 'say' in line with their corporate guidelines.

I think this witty debate between John Cleese and Bill Maher - two supposed liberals who push the boundaries - sort of makes the point.

https://youtu.be/qCj6YNIpqmA
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

welshowl said:

FPT

welshowl said:

@Fysics_Teacher

It is a good point.

Are you saying the Europeans would reinvent our good old British gesture dating from Azincourt, and give us a two prong salute?
    Well lots of the archers were Welsh, as I’m sure you (or yew?) know.
  • Options

welshowl said:

FPT

welshowl said:

@Fysics_Teacher

It is a good point.

The Betamax of plugs.

If it's a choice between the flimsy US plug and the continental plug I'd choose the latter.

What’s the US plug got to do with this? I’d prefer our plug over both.
  • Options

welshowl said:

FPT

welshowl said:

@Fysics_Teacher

It is a good point.

The Betamax of plugs.

Where did you get that from? It could be useful when teaching about electrical safety.
  • Options
    John_M said:

Good article Nick, primarily because I agree with you ;). I think it very probable that not much will happen for several years (a hostage to fortune, if ever there was one!). I do think there will be a recession in '19/20 or, if we're lucky '20/'21, which will likely seal the Tory's fate.

Why should a recession seal the Tories fate given Corbyn is the alternative?

Major won in 1992 in a recession as the alternative was Kinnock but lost in 1997 despite a booming economy as the alternative was Blair
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419
    "Some predictions:

1. In the end, the Tories won’t replace May."

I disagree. There might not be any consensus as to a successor but there is a consensus that she shouldn't be allowed to fight another election. Whether Brexit-related or not, her time will come. If it comes as late as summer 2021 - by which time she'll be almost 65 - she'll have done six years as PM, which is not a bad run. Nick says several times that the Tories are exhausted. I don't think that's true but what is true is that there's no buccaneering domestic reform policy; Brexit is smothering everything. And May personally is running on empty. A new leader - if the right person - can bring about a revival that May cannot. As for timing, her political antennae are sufficiently poor that she'll do something at the wrong time to trigger the challenge if she opts not to stand down.

"2. In the end, Labour will remain largely intact."

I agree, as per yesterday's piece.

"3. Something like UKIP will resurface."

Actually, I think UKIP will resurface. It's brand is not terminally tarnished because almost no-one is paying it attention. It's never particularly been tarnished by scandal because people don't see it as a party for government or its leaders as candidates to be PM. It is, and will be, what it always has been: a vehicle to withdraw the UK from involvement in the EU.

The question is more around Farage. He is the only successful leader that UKIP has ever had. In the absence of his return or of them finding someone similarly skilled (both unlikely, IMO), UKIP will remain little more than a generic protest vehicle and struggle in almost any circumstance to get above 7-8%. The wildcard here is Tory defections, though while entirely possible, the kind of potential defectors we might be talking about are not necessarily minor-party leadership material.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Good article, the next general election could well.be May v Corbyn 2 and as today's Newspoll suggests replacing a leader does not always guarantee a poll boost, Morrison has if anything got a negative bounce though to be fair Dutton would likely have done worse.

I'm not sure how much (if any) of that is down to Morrison personally, and how much to the Liberals looking like a bunch of self absorbed self indulgent idiots. Agree Dutton would have been worse. They should invite Lord Hague to advise on leadership election rules....

• Options

Corbyn's turning out to be worse than I feared. I knew he was someone who favoured Britain's enemies over our country (witness his IRA contacts), and this was shown with his reluctance to blame Russia over a chemical attack on our own country.

But I never expected him to be a low anti-Semitic piece of scum. He has quite spectacularly been worse than I feared.
    Genuine question: why on Earth not?

I will admit I had never heard of Corbyn before he stood for the leadership. But one of the first things I did find out was that he was a friend and supporter of Paul Eisen. Now that set alarm bells clanging. Eisen is a card-carrying neo-Nazi some of whose rhetoric has even been too extreme for the likes of Robert Faurisson. Anyone who associates with him in any way is not somebody who can claim to be anti-racist with a straight face. Corbyn's excuses - that he didn't know him well, that he broke links after finding out he was a Holocaust denier, that he'd never given him money - all turned out to be untrue, even on very rapid investigation.

I didn't talk too much about this because frankly I was more worried about some of his more mental policies and I thought - rightly as it turned out, and in this I flatter myself I was shrewder than Timothy, Hill and May - that that was where he was vulnerable and in any case that was the only way he could be beaten. But it's certainly no surprise to me that he's in this mess and I'm not going to say I don't think he's a racist, because his fellow-travellers clearly are and to quote the Book of Proverbs, a man is known by the company he keeps.

It is of course just possible that he's so thick he doesn't get what he's doing. But if he is sufficiently dim not to know that giving money to Holocaust deniers is wrong, he shouldn't be in Parliament anyway.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,718
    And in other news it seems that gladitorial wildlife battles are back...

https://twitter.com/garethpenrose/status/1028320181511237632?s=19
  • Options
    welshowl said:

ydoethur said:

welshowl said:

FPT

welshowl said:

@Fysics_Teacher

It is a good point.

Of course.

I bow to nobody in my knowledge of fifteenth century warfare.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125

That has certainly been my expectation for Brexit!
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,749
    welshowl said:

FF43 said:

welshowl said:

Nevertheless, stripping away the rhetoric on both sides, Brexit is a disconnection The tyre hitsb the road.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

John_M said:

Major won in 1992 in a recession as the alternative was Kinnock but lost in 1997 despite a booming economy as the alternative was Blair
    The recession will be popularly blamed on Brexit, and therefore the Tories who implemented it.

• Options
    edited August 2018

HYUFD said:

I'm not sure how much (if any) of that is down to Morrison personally, and how much to the Liberals looking like a bunch of self absorbed self indulgent idiots. Agree Dutton would have been worse. They should invite Lord Hague to advise on leadership election rules....

I think Australians are fed up of plotting and leadership coups and want the PM to get on with the job, Tories take note
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

welshowl said:

ydoethur said:

welshowl said:

FPT

welshowl said:

@Fysics_Teacher

It is a good point.

Of course.

What book would you recommend as a good introduction to the Wars of the Roses?
  • Options

welshowl said:

FPT

welshowl said:

@Fysics_Teacher

It is a good point.

The Betamax of plugs.

Where did you get that from? It could be useful when teaching about electrical safety.
    It's actually a very interesting map anyway. For example, it's striking that it's pretty much only us among major economies that uses our style of plug (depending on how you define Malaysia). I didn't realise how common the European style plug is. That would, in fact, be the most compelling reason for the EU to adopt it as standard ahead of our model, whatever it's adavantages. As William says, the Betamax of plugs.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Well, one thing which will have happened is that the Lib Dems will have disappeared.......

Problem is where would we/they go? Can’t go with Cruella de May and her party. Can’t go with Corbyn the Confused old Communist.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

welshowl said:

ydoethur said:

welshowl said:

FPT

welshowl said:

@Fysics_Teacher

It is a good point.

Of course.

I wouldn’t dare to take up the gauntlet.
  • Options
    Britons seem relatively relaxed in the face of Brexit apocalypse

Despite predictions of gloom from the Treasury and Bank, the public remains optimistic

The economy is now about 15% smaller than it would have been had its pre-recession growth rate continued, something that took the Bank, the Treasury and the Office for Budget Responsibility (the body that now does Hammond’s economic forecasts) by surprise. So the Treasury’s confident assertion that the economy could be 10% smaller by 2030 in the event of a no-deal Brexit needs to be treated with caution.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2018/aug/26/britons-seem-relatively-relaxed-in-the-face-of-brexit-apocalypse?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other
  • Options

ydoethur said:

welshowl said:

ydoethur said:

welshowl said:

FPT

welshowl said:

@Fysics_Teacher

It is a good point.

Of course.

For the general reader, A J Pollard, British History in Perspective: The Wars of the Roses.

Some good A-level textbooks out there as well - Colin Pendrell and Jessica Lutkin have both written very readable introductions, although as they are A level textbooks they are not cheap.
  • Options
    welshowl said:

ydoethur said:

welshowl said:

ydoethur said:

welshowl said:

FPT

welshowl said:

@Fysics_Teacher

It is a good point.

Of course.

I wouldn’t dare to take up the gauntlet.
    How about Mr Dancer’s trebuchet?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

welshowl said:

ydoethur said:

welshowl said:

FPT

welshowl said:

@Fysics_Teacher

It is a good point.

Of course.

For the general reader, A J Pollard, British History in Perspective: The Wars of the Roses.

Some good A-level textbooks out there as well - Colin Pendrell and Jessica Lutkin have both written very readable introductions, although as they are A level textbooks they are not cheap.
    Thanks!
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I think Australians are fed up of plotting and leadership coups and want the PM to get on with the job, Tories take note
    NSFW:

https://twitter.com/tonightly/status/1032546516911570944
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

John_M said:

The recession will be popularly blamed on Brexit, and therefore the Tories who implemented it.

Nope, the voters voted for Brexit, the damage for the Tories would come if they fail to respect the Brexit vote and see mass movement to UKIP.

In any case the Chequers Deal will minimise the impact of Brexit on the economy while respecting the core principles of the Brexit vote
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,874
    @welshowl FPT
    welshowl said:

...We are surrounded every day by the culture of the Anglosphere. It’s so pervasive we don’t really see it as such. But there it is everyday, from the latest Hollywood movie, to ACDC in concert, to Game of Thrones, to the Indian Premier League, to Graham Norton’s sofa. I can almost hear the snorting amongst some that it’s all so low brow but that is the point: it’s popular.

There’s nothing wrong here with this, we are bound to be more interested in what we can understand (literally)...

This is a very good point, but I'm not sure that "nothing wrong here with this" is correct. Our focus on the Anglosphere is not complete (witness my recurring complaint that we do not pay attention to Ireland) and also leads us to neglect important places. We fail to correctly read Germany, Russia, China, Pakistan and MENA except in broad strokes which may not be helpful or accurate. So although I take your point, I think that that the Anglosphere is not necessarily useful and can in certain cases be a problem.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

NSFW:

Pretty much
  • Options

Despite predictions of gloom from the Treasury and Bank, the public remains optimistic

The economy is now about 15% smaller than it would have been had its pre-recession growth rate continued, something that took the Bank, the Treasury and the Office for Budget Responsibility (the body that now does Hammond’s economic forecasts) by surprise. So the Treasury’s confident assertion that the economy could be 10% smaller by 2030 in the event of a no-deal Brexit needs to be treated with caution.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2018/aug/26/britons-seem-relatively-relaxed-in-the-face-of-brexit-apocalypse?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

This is the man who says the Brexit “crisis” should be used to impose a radical socialist programme.
  • Options

This is the man who says the Brexit “crisis” should be used to impose a radical socialist programme.
    Doesn't look like he foresees a "Brexit crisis" does it?
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Thanks!
    Others that are worth a look after Pollard:

Dan Jones The Hollow Crown
    Trevor Royle The Wars Of The Roses: England's First Civil War is good on the military stuff, as are Hugh Bicheno's Blood Royal and Battle Royal.

Christine Carpenter and Michael Hicks both have very detailed books on them, but Hicks in particular can be heavy going. They're best left until later.

Alison Weir's Lancaster and York is very readable but only goes up to 1471.
  • Options

He wrote a whole article about it recently.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/jun/21/left-brexit-opportunity-financial-crash
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    viewcode said:

@welshowl FPT

welshowl said:

...We are surrounded every day by the culture of the Anglosphere. It’s so pervasive we don’t really see it as such. But there it is everyday, from the latest Hollywood movie, to ACDC in concert, to Game of Thrones, to the Indian Premier League, to Graham Norton’s sofa. I can almost hear the snorting amongst some that it’s all so low brow but that is the point: it’s popular.

There’s nothing wrong here with this, we are bound to be more interested in what we can understand (literally)...

This is a very good point, but I'm not sure that "nothing wrong here with this" is correct. Our focus on the Anglosphere is not complete (witness my recurring complaint that we do not pay attention to Ireland) and also leads us to neglect important places. We fail to correctly read Germany, Russia, China, Pakistan and MENA except in broad strokes which may not be helpful or accurate. So although I take your point, I think that that the Anglosphere is not necessarily useful and can in certain cases be a problem.
    Yes I see the point. And it’s a two way street of incomprehension at times. I doubt Merkel, Juncker et al had the faintest just how cheesed off the Brits were, and that sending Cameron home without even half a fig leaf could well tip the balance.

It can never be perfect, but it’s always going to be easier for us to follow US politics than German, or Spanish, or Belgian.

Look today at the sad passing of John McCain. Headline news for a Senator from a foreign land. Wouldn’t be happening if he were French or German. (To be clear I’m not belittling John McCain here! Just using today as an example)
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

NSFW:

Pretty much
    So we want politicians who never question anything and just follow what the party leader says? The dispute within the Australian Liberal party is not that dissimilar to the divide in the UK Tories and Labour - left and right - it isn't really about personalities but policies. Its also regional - Queensland or Melbourne.

We might as well just send robots to parliament if that is the idea of 'doing your f*****g job'.

Of course once you set a precedent of deposing leaders mid term yourself - you cant complain really when it is done to you!

• Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,048
    ydoethur said:

Genuine question: why on Earth not?

I will admit I had never heard of Corbyn before he stood for the leadership. But one of the first things I did find out was that he was a friend and supporter of Paul Eisen. Now that set alarm bells clanging. Eisen is a card-carrying neo-Nazi some of whose rhetoric has even been too extreme for the likes of Robert Faurisson. Anyone who associates with him in any way is not somebody who can claim to be anti-racist with a straight face. Corbyn's excuses - that he didn't know him well, that he broke links after finding out he was a Holocaust denier, that he'd never given him money - all turned out to be untrue, even on very rapid investigation.

I didn't talk too much about this because frankly I was more worried about some of his more mental policies and I thought - rightly as it turned out, and in this I flatter myself I was shrewder than Timothy, Hill and May - that that was where he was vulnerable and in any case that was the only way he could be beaten. But it's certainly no surprise to me that he's in this mess and I'm not going to say I don't think he's a racist, because his fellow-travellers clearly are and to quote the Book of Proverbs, a man is known by the company he keeps.

It is of course just possible that he's so thick he doesn't get what he's doing. But if he is sufficiently dim not to know that giving money to Holocaust deniers is wrong, he shouldn't be in Parliament anyway.
    I simply did not pay as much attention to his history as I should: and there was little point, for the stuff I was reading anyway should have disbarred him from leadership of any civilised political party.

sadly, he was standing for leader of the Labour party. ;)
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,981
    Some discussion of John McCain on the last thread. He was never going to win against Obama, especially with Palin as his running mate. The more interesting counter-factual to my mind is what would have happened had he won the Republican nomination in 2000. I suspect he'd have beaten Al Gore more comfortably than George W. managed, and would then have been a much better President, especially in the aftermath of 9/11. The world would probably look rather different now ...
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    brendan16 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

NSFW:

Pretty much
    So we want politicians who never question anything and just follow what the party leader says? The dispute within the Australian Liberal party is not that dissimilar to the divide in the UK Tories and Labour - left and right - it isn't really about personalities but policies. Its also regional - Queensland or Melbourne.

We might as well just send robots to parliament if that is the idea of 'doing your f*****g job'.

Of course once you set a precedent of deposing leaders mid term yourself - you cant complain really when it is done to you!

If a party leader is clearly going to lose the next general election while another leader may win it e.g. 1990 when Thatcher trailed Kinnock in polls and Heseltine and Major led Kinnock in polls and there is a clear policy difference as there was then over the poll tax there may be a point in changing leader midterm, otherwise it changes little and may even backfire.
  • Options
    welshowl said:

Yes I see the point. And it’s a two way street of incomprehension at times. I doubt Merkel, Juncker et al had the faintest just how cheesed off the Brits were, and that sending Cameron home without even half a fig leaf could well tip the balance.

Your mistake is in thinking that managing your feelings is their lookout. It's Cameron's fault alone that he put himself in a position where people like you felt he had been humiliated.
    welshowl said:

Look today at the sad passing of John McCain. Headline news for a Senator from a foreign land. Wouldn’t be happening if he were French or German. (To be clear I’m not belittling John McCain here! Just using today as an example)

It's headline news *in France and Germany*, which just proves that it is a delusion to think that we have some unique connection to the 'Anglosphere' that is denied to our neighbours. The influence of the US is felt across the world.
  • Options

The Guardian has some of the shrewdest writers on politics in the business. Harris, Wintour, Rawlings are all good. Only Jannan Ganesh at the FT is in their class, and he's on his own.

But their economics team is an absolute joke and always has been. Hutton, Elliot, Mason, Chakraborty and that guy with the American civil War style tache all have in common that they know nothing about the subject and their forecasts are laughably based on their political views. They're not worth reading unless you really want a good laugh.
  • Options

Perhaps if Guardian writers and others avoided using terms like Apocalypse it might make people a bit less cynical.

There will be a fair few issues to address - but it won't be Biblical end of days type stuff! Although Waitrose running a bit low on some goods might seem like an end of days scenario to the residents of north London!
  • Options

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/jun/21/left-brexit-opportunity-financial-crash
    But be in no doubt: the status quo is a failing Britain as part of a failing EU. The financial crisis of 2008 was the first opportunity to come up with an alternative to an economic model that clearly wasn’t working. Brexit is the second opportunity. There may not be a third. If the left fails to come up with a plan for real change the right surely will.

Seems reasonable comment - not sure where you got 'impose a radical socialist program' from...
  • Options

welshowl said:

Your mistake is in thinking that managing your feelings is their lookout. It's Cameron's fault alone that he put himself in a position where people like you felt he had been humiliated.
    welshowl said:

It's headline news *in France and Germany*, which just proves that it is a delusion to think that we have some unique connection to the 'Anglosphere' that is denied to our neighbours. The influence of the US is felt across the world.
    Thank you for pointing out “my mistake “.
  • Options

But be in no doubt: the status quo is a failing Britain as part of a failing EU. The financial crisis of 2008 was the first opportunity to come up with an alternative to an economic model that clearly wasn’t working. Brexit is the second opportunity. There may not be a third. If the left fails to come up with a plan for real change the right surely will.

Seems reasonable comment - not sure where you got 'impose a radical socialist program' from...
    From his previous writing on the subject.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/jul/21/capitalism-fat-cats-brexit-leaving-eu

"By leaving we can have the sort of radical socialist programme that would be illegal under EU law"
  • Options
    brendan16 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

NSFW:

Pretty much
    it isn't really about personalities but policies.
    That's not what Dutton said - when asked about policy differences he said it was about 'leadership' - if thats not 'personalities' I don't know what is.....
  • Options
    ralphmalphralphmalph Posts: 2,201

I would like to see his proof points that the economy is 15% smaller. The growth in the economy maybe 15% smaller.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,332

I would like to see his proof points that the economy is 15% smaller. The growth in the economy maybe 15% smaller.
    Gut feel is that is about right. Before the crash an economy high on debt was generally growing about 3% a year. Since it has rarely reached the heights of 2% so a shortfall in excess of 1% a year for a decade could very well result in a 15% shortfall.

Which is completely meaningless of course, every bit as much meaningless as the claimed 10% by 2030.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Thanks!

Trevor Royle The Wars Of The Roses: England's First Civil War is good on the military stuff, as are Hugh Bicheno's Blood Royal and Battle Royal.

Christine Carpenter and Michael Hicks both have very detailed books on them, but Hicks in particular can be heavy going. They're best left until later.

I’ve ordered the Pollard. Will get back to you once I’ve read it although with term approaching that may have to wait until the next time I’m ill (which will be in early October).

Happy to return the favour if there are particular bits of Physics you want to know about: particle physics a speciality as long as you don’t want to know about the Higgs boson.
  • Options
    edited August 2018

welshowl said:

welshowl said:

You're misunderstanding both points. In reverse order:

If a prominent French or German politician (other than their President or Chancellor) died, e.g. Schauble or Schultz there wouldn't be much attention here. I didn't feel Cameron had been humiliated (and frankly wouldn't have given a shit if he had), just that he'd played a weak hand very badly.

Point the second: if the heads of state of an international organisation don't give two hoots about their interlocutor's domestic political situation they are poor politicians. It's only your continued assertion that Cameron (and by extension the UK) is wholly to blame for Brexit. The world just isn't that black and white. There are plenty of stresses and strains on the EU, and the UK is not at the root of all, or even most.
  • Options

welshowl said:

FPT

welshowl said:

@Fysics_Teacher

It is a good point.

The Betamax of plugs.

Its always reassuring when I go to Singapore and Malaysia to see that nice safe secure British style plug socket. Its odd they use our plugs but almost no other Commonwealth nations outside Europe do. Oddly the UAE, Qatar etc also have our G plugs.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Thanks!

I’ve ordered the Pollard. Will get back to you once I’ve read it although with term approaching that may have to wait until the next time I’m ill (which will be in early October).

Happy to return the favour if there are particular bits of Physics you want to know about: particle physics a speciality as long as you don’t want to know about the Higgs boson.
    Which didn't have the decency to be known about when you were at school?
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    DavidL said:

Gut feel is that is about right. Before the crash an economy high on debt was generally growing about 3% a year. Since it has rarely reached the heights of 2% so a shortfall in excess of 1% a year for a decade could very well result in a 15% shortfall.

Which is completely meaningless of course, every bit as much meaningless as the claimed 10% by 2030.
    People often conflate 'x% smaller' and 'x% smaller against a baseline case'. Since EUref it's mostly been done deliberately and with malice aforethought.
  • Options

welshowl said:

FPT

welshowl said:

@Fysics_Teacher

It is a good point.

The Betamax of plugs.

From this link: https://www.power-plugs-sockets.com/
  • Options
    brendan16 said:

welshowl said:

FPT

welshowl said:

@Fysics_Teacher

It is a good point.

The Betamax of plugs.

Its always reassuring when I go to Singapore and Malaysia to see that nice safe secure British style plug socket. Its odd they use our plugs but almost no other Commonwealth nations outside Europe do. Oddly the UAE, Qatar etc also have our G plugs.
    Cyprus and Ireland too in Europe I believe. Malta too?
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,350
    Cyclefree said:

Ah, they got a mention if you reread it:

"The LibDems occasionally change from one obscure leader to another."

A bit unfair, maybe, but I'm not sure that replacing Vince with A.N. Other is going to address their core issue of What Are They For After Brexit?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Thanks!

Or even at university. To be honest I’m a bit rusty now on some of the finer points of Quantum Chromodynamics: my maths was never really up to it.
  • Options

welshowl said:

FPT

welshowl said:

@Fysics_Teacher

It is a good point.

The Betamax of plugs.

From this link: https://www.power-plugs-sockets.com/
    Thanks!
  • Options
    John_M said:

DavidL said:

People often conflate 'x% smaller' and 'x% smaller against a baseline case'. Since EUref it's mostly been done deliberately and with malice aforethought.
    Indeed. The pre GFC growth was not sustainable and was actually doing serious damage to our economy (in the same way as I fear that Trump's deficit led growth is for the US now) so saying we have not matched it when we have spent a decade making good the damage really tells us nothing.

What is the sustainable rate of growth at any particular period of time depends on so many factors, as will our growth to 2030.
  • Options
    The damage to the halo on that F1 car is genuinely scary. If we had not had that in place Alonso's car could have taken his head off.
  • Options
    John_M said:

If a prominent French or German politician (other than their President or Chancellor) died, e.g. Schauble or Schultz there wouldn't be much attention here.

If Ken Clarke died I think there'd be more coverage (albeit not a major story) in the French and German press than in the US. Likewise if Jacques Delors died I think you'd have more coverage here than in the US.

It's about the pre-eminence of the US, not about our connection with the Anglosphere.
  • Options
    ralphmalphralphmalph Posts: 2,201
    DavidL said:

It is the 6% drop in 2008 that makes it correct.
  • Options

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Thanks!

Or even at university. To be honest I’m a bit rusty now on some of the finer points of Quantum Chromodynamics: my maths was never really up to it.
    I looked that up. It said that quantum chromodynamics is:

"a quantum field theory in which the strong interaction is described in terms of an interaction between quarks mediated by gluons, both quarks and gluons being assigned a quantum number called ‘colour’."

So that is now perfectly clear.
  • Options
    FenmanFenman Posts: 1,047
    To coin a phrase, I don't agree with Nick.
  • Options

DavidL said:

It is the 6% drop in 2008 that makes it correct.
    If they are including that it seems a bit low actually. And even more meaningless.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,989
    edited August 2018
    Good afternoon, everyone.

Unexpectedly, I was able to watch the race as it happened. Interesting result.

Edited extra bit: think I finished a tiny bit ahead.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,271
    John_M said:

welshowl said:

welshowl said:

If a prominent French or German politician (other than their President or Chancellor) died, e.g. Schauble or Schultz there wouldn't be much attention here. I didn't feel Cameron had been humiliated (and frankly wouldn't have given a shit if he had), just that he'd played a weak hand very badly.

Point the second: if the heads of state of an international organisation don't give two hoots about their interlocutor's domestic political situation they are poor politicians. It's only your continued assertion that Cameron (and by extension the UK) is wholly to blame for Brexit. The world just isn't that black and white. There are plenty of stresses and strains on the EU, and the UK is not at the root of all, or even most.
    Part of the reason McCain is getting major headlines is his life story and heroic act of refusing release until others were also released as prisoners of war. It makes great copy. So I suspect too much is being read into this wrt to our relationship with US politicians.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Thanks!

"a quantum field theory in which the strong interaction is described in terms of an interaction between quarks mediated by gluons, both quarks and gluons being assigned a quantum number called ‘colour’."

Quite. That bits easy enough, but the fact that the gluons themselves have a colour charge and so interact with each other makes working out the size of the force much more challenging than for the much simpler quantum electrodynamics. That and the fact that there are three colour charges as opposed to the two for QED also doen’t help.

https://xkcd.com/1489/
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Thanks!

Sounds like internal Labour politics to me.
  • Options
    Charity worker Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe has not been granted extension to temporary release in Iran, husband says.
  • Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Thanks!

Let’s not get carried away. There are some people who do understand QCD after all.
  • Options
    brendan16 said:

welshowl said:

FPT

welshowl said:

@Fysics_Teacher

It is a good point.

The Betamax of plugs.

Handy when I visit Malawi to not need an adaptor. Handier still when they have electricity too :)
  • Options
    In other news:

It is very hard to overstate the gravity of the crisis facing the Pope and members of the senior hierarchy of the United States today. They have been implicated in an alleged conspiracy to protect a sex criminal.

The charges made by Viganò are so extensive, and so serious, that legal proceedings arising from them are likely to be on a gigantic scale – and will take years rather than months to address.

Long before they are concluded, there is a strong possibility that the pontificate of Jorge Mario Bergoglio, the Argentinian who took the name of Pope Francis, will have come to a spectacular and disastrous end.

https://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2018/08/pope-francis-covered-up-for-sex-abuser-mccarrick-and-must-resign-says-senior-archbishop/
  • Options

John_M said:

welshowl said:

welshowl said:

Part of the reason McCain is getting major headlines is his life story and heroic act of refusing release until others were also released as prisoners of war. It makes great copy. So I suspect too much is being read into this wrt to our relationship with US politicians.
    Even on PB, I expect few could name more than a couple of other current US Senators.
  • Options
    I fear this lady may be referring to some of us:

https://twitter.com/SeemaChandwani/status/1033661465876746241

• Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Thanks!

So far the gluons in Labour are proving surprisingly powerful and self respect has proven to be a very weak force indeed.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Thanks!

The odd thing about the strong force is that it becomes stronger as distance between quarks increases. This is the reason that you don't come across solitary quarks down the pub.
  • Options
    Glad I am not in the game anymore....

Gaming experts say sportsbooks might have closed as many as 50,000 betting accounts in recent years, and just as many punters have had their betting limits restricted to mere pittance.

http://www.espn.com/chalk/story/_/id/24425026/gambling-bookmakers-growing-us-legal-betting-market-allowed-ban-bettors
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,874
    As I keep saying, Matthew Goodwin is a good analyst but a bad advocate.
  • Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Thanks!

Let’s not get carried away. There are some people who do understand QCD after all.
    Labour internal politics in terms of colour is very simple. In the PLP there is a small group of red people and a very much larger group of yellow people.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

John_M said:

welshowl said:

welshowl said:

Even on PB, I expect few could name more than a couple of other current US Senators.
    There are bound to be a few of them called Randy.
  • Options

Foxy said:

John_M said:

welshowl said:

welshowl said:

There are bound to be a few of them called Randy.
    There are a hundred of them, and they collectively screw north of 300 million Americans every day.

That suggests a sex drive even Edward IV would blush at.
This discussion has been closed.