Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » While the Tories tear themselves apart on Brexit LAB’s new ant

Comments

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,602

Remember at this point Hunt had been in the cabinet for five years & Health Secretary for three years and only a third of voters could identify him.

https://twitter.com/tseofpb/status/1020981364798181378?s=21

Was that in the days before Falconer had resigned??
    Before.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,144
    dixiedean said:

kyf_100 said:

Bannon is already working on plans. Pan-european set-up called The Movement:

https://www.thedailybeast.com/inside-bannons-plan-to-hijack-europe-for-the-far-right

This is surely the most interesting news of the weekend.

It is now fair I think to call Bannon and his fellow travellers - including Farage - fascists.

They promote nationalism, populism, and protectionism, and displays of power (all this Putin and Jordan Peterson worship), and are against liberalism, immigration (and often immigrants), and the judiciary.

I use the term carefully. I do not wish to make WW2 comparisons. Fascists are not Nazis, and note that for now Bannon wishes to exclude “ethno-populists” from his funding, although the distinction will be difficult to make in certain countries.

But, like the 1930s, it is time to pick sides.

Sadly for principled Brexiters (there are one or two), their cause has been hijacked by the fascists. This doesn’t make Brexit wrong per se but should give one cause to think.
    "I use this term carefully"

Proceeds to conflate Jordan Peterson, a psychologist and self-help book writer, with Vladimir Putin, a kleptocrat who has likely ordered extrajudicial killings in his own country and on British soil.

Uh, ok.

To some people anyone further right than a wet Tory is automatically a fascist. Anyone who believes in the traditional family unit? Fascist. Against open borders? Fascist. Protectionist? Fascist. Brexit? Fascist!

Stop. Calling. Everyone. You. Disagree. With. A. Fascist.

What I can not understand is why these people can not see in the UK, a party that seems to have a problem with a small section of society, want to nationalise key industries and have a leadership cult of a "strong" leader. All three are traits of a Fascist Party.
    What about a Party where policy is dictated by the leadership without any members' input, relies heavily on wealthy backers for its funding, places the flag front and centre of all its literature and meetings and falls back on "patriotism" as a default argument when all else fails?
    See what a silly comparison you make.
    By "wealthy backers", do you mean the SNP's lottery winners?
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,142

The Govt would get a real polling boost if they cancelled HS2.

https://twitter.com/olivercooper/status/1020968044443721730?s=21

Note the penultimate paragraph in the article:

' ... phase one would use up the entire budget for HS2 and would not be ready until about 2031, five years late. '

A few years ago I suggested that the real plan was for HS2 to be a fast Birmingham to London commuter line and the northern extensions would be postponed / cancelled.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,167
    edited July 2018

Roger said:

A quick flick through the posts....is there anyone other than HYUFD who is excited by the prospect of PM Boris? Very unusual to have (almost) unanimity from the PB Tories .

Tory wannabes, get thee a man that looks at you like HYUFD looks at Boris.
    I have 16,000 reasons to look at Jeremy Hunt in the same way HYUFD looks at Boris.
    On today's poll Labour would lead a Hunt led Tory Party by 12%, that is the same margin Blair beat Major by in 1997
  • Options
    surby said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

We will be lucky to get a deal at all even with the Chequers Deal based on Barnier's comments but at least May deserves the chance to try.

In any case she would survive a no confidence vote now, in 18 months probably not

By which point it's too late for him to get the oh so better deal he will no doubt claim he could have gotterisk it.
    Boris is not HThatcher as the rules have changed for the Tory s ed
    I know .
    Boris would not be on the ballot paper it would just be confidenceue date
    If they fail they can decide whether they can, after all, back her deal, however unhappily. If they succeed, then Boris and co can fight it out for the leadership with very clear visions of what they want - eg no deal, a better deal etc.

That they might not succeed in a vote of no confidence is no excuse for ter, but not now?

Ultimately this is boiling down to claims May's deal is bad and the alternatives are super popular, and that the MPs will bear this in mind when they get their next leader, and yet you claim Boris and co lack the numbers to challenge May, and definitely the numbers to beat her. In which case why they confidence he will win later, and why do Boris and co pretend they don't support the deal when they won't act to stop it even in protest (resigning is a protest, but is not an action to prevent it)?
    As if May does go then Boris is clearly the only option at the moment who can beat Corbyn.

If May gets a deal from the EU which gives her everything she wanted who knows she may get a boost but at the moment all the evidence is neither the EU nor the public are great fans of the Chequers Deal
    Resolutely not answering the question because HYUFD has no answer. He also shifts his loyalty with the seasons. May could do no wrong, now fragrance comes out of Boris' arse.
    I care about beating Corbyn primarily as most Tories should
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Remember at this point Hunt had been in the cabinet for five years & Health Secretary for three years and only a third of voters could identify him.

52% recognised Gove even in that poll which was pre Brexit and Gove's raised profile and the Tories were on just 30% with him.

If nobody recognised you you would have a net approval rating of 0% not -63%
    How many times are you going to lie about polling?

1) That is not an approval rating.

2) That minus 63% figure is based on the last 100 respondents giving it a huge margin of error.
  • Options
    kyf_100 said:

HYUFD said:

kyf_100 said:

https://www.thedailybeast.com/inside-bannons-plan-to-hijack-europe-for-the-far-right

It is now fair I think to call Bannon and his fellow travellers - including Farage - fascists.

They promote nationalism, populism, and protectionism, and displays of power (all this Putin and Jordan Peterson worship), and are against liberalism, immigration (and often immigrants), and the judiciary.

I use the term carefully. I do not wish to make WW2 comparisons. Fascists are not Nazis, and note that for now Bannon wishes to exclude “ethno-populists” from his funding, although the distinction will be difficult to make in certain countries.

Sadly for principled Brexiters (there are one or two), their cause has been hijacked by the fascists. This doesn’t make Brexit wrong per se but should give one cause to think.

Proceeds to conflate Jordan Peterson, a psychologist and self-help book writer, with Vladimir Putin, a kleptocrat who has likely ordered extrajudicial killings in his own country and on British soil.

Uh, ok.

To some people anyone further right than a wet Tory is automatically a fascist. Anyone who believes in the traditional family unit? Fascist. Against open borders? Fascist. Protectionist? Fascist. Brexit? Fascist!

24% of the country then are Fascists already, given that is the number who told Yougov today they would vote for a hard right anti immigration and anti Islam nationalist party
    Indeed, and I reckon 98% of that 24% would be very happy with a sensible right wing government that was serious about capping immigration and ensuring we only take people with valuable skills (doctors yes, big issue sellers no). When governments don't listen to their people, they end up drifting towards the extreme fringes.
    Yes if the government fails to replace free movement with tighter immigration controls the far right will see a rise in its support
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    On the subject of airline apocoalypse

I'm totally relaxed about air transit. There will be no problem flying over Ireland etc. Even in a no deal ultra hard Brexit we will maintain appropriate parallel standards everything will be fine.

I'm even pretty confident we'll be able to keep all the current point to point routes we have with the rest of the world, pragmatism will probably win out.

No, the issue is going forward we will be screwed for future routes. The USA will screw us, everyone will screw us as we have lost the collective power of the EU. Going forward we will lose hubs and bases as various airlines find it easier to operate out of mainland Europe.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,142
    HYUFD said:

Roger said:

A quick flick through the posts....is there anyone other than HYUFD who is excited by the prospect of PM Boris? Very unusual to have (almost) unanimity from the PB Tories .

Yes, SeanT, Archer, Gin, Another Richard were all pro Boris last night as are the polls.

Just there are hardly any PB Tories on PB this morning and those who are are amost all liberal soft Brexiteers or were Remainers
    I'm not pro Boris.

He's a good showman but he doesn't do the required proper planning or attention to details to be PM.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,631
    Went to a pretty amazing wedding reception last night, I don't think we've been this hungover for a few years. Just checked out of the hotel, I think I'm still too far over the limit to drive. In a happy coincidence I've brought my clubs with me and our room comes with a free tee time, my better half is going to take full advantage of the spa facilities.

They have definitely set the standard for weddings this summer, going to be a tough act to follow.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,880
    kyf_100 said:

Uh, ok.

Are you a fascist? You seem to be uncomfortable with it being called out.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,015

dixiedean said:

kyf_100 said:

Uh, ok.

What I can not understand is why these people can not see in the UK, a party that seems to have a problem with a small section of society, want to nationalise key industries and have a leadership cult of a "strong" leader. All three are traits of a Fascist Party.
    What about a Party where policy is dictated by the leadership without any members' input, relies heavily on wealthy backers for its funding, places the flag front and centre of all its literature and meetings and falls back on "patriotism" as a default argument when all else fails?
    No. I am obviously being sarcastic. But one could easily cherry pick them to make them out to be Fascist too if you wanted to do so.
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,963

kyf_100 said:

Uh, ok.

I'm about as much a fascist as Jordan B Peterson is...
  • Options
    surbysurby Posts: 1,227

HYUFD said:

52% recognised Gove even in that poll which was pre Brexit and Gove's raised profile and the Tories were on just 30% with him.

2) That minus 63% figure is based on the last 100 respondents giving it a huge margin of error.
    He is not lying. He just does not understand.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,941

CD13 said:

If you are genuinely interested, it’s all in this thread:
    https://twitter.com/brianmlucey/status/1020603084806840320?s=21
    That’s a good thread and is nearly all correct. The mistake is that the airspace slot booking service Eurocontrol is not an EU body, and UK membership of it will not lapse on Brexit. Banning a nation’s planes from overflying your airspace is literally an act of war. Ask Qatar.

Essentially there are two distinct issues with aviation and Brexit.

1. Regulatory, which happens under the auspices of the European Aviation Safety Agency (EASA) and provides licences to airlines, planes, pilots, engineers, air traffic controllers etc.)

and

2. Trade agreements, such as the Single European Sky (which allows eg Irish-registered Ryanair to operate domestic British flights) and the Open Skies agreements with the USA and other counties, which provides for reciprocal landing rights between EU and US/other foreign carriers.

Issues around 1 will be either resolved by the UK becoming an associate member of EASA (like Switzerland and a number of other countries) or bringing regulatory functions back to our own Civil Aviation Authority (CAA), as they were before EASA existed, and having those approved by the International Civil Aviation Organistation (ICAO), a UN body of which the UK is already a member in its own right.

Note that failure to resolve things here does indeed lead to all British planes, pilots, airlines, engineers, air traffic controllers and others being grounded on the day we leave. It also causes international chaos as nearly every large plane in the sky worldwide has lots of British parts, and British pilots and ATCOs work all over the world.

Issues around 2 are more politically difficult, but we need to be ready to sign a number of agreements on or before Brexit day, such as with the USA and Middle East countries, most of which should simply be rollovers of existing arrangements but still need doing. Adults would also agree to keep Britain in the existing EU agreements, given how many European airlines are in a very precarious financial position.

IMO we should quickly get ICAO involved as a mediator for the regulatory issues, it’s in no-one’s interest to ground serviceable planes and pilots around the world. It’s mostly bureaucratic problems to overcome here, rather than political problems.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    kyf_100 said:

kyf_100 said:

Uh, ok.

Peterson would be happily goose stepping the second a fascist government was installed whilst trying to blame it all on women.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,880
    kyf_100 said:

kyf_100 said:

Uh, ok.

I never actually suggested Jordan Peterson was a fascist. I don’t think you read my post very carefully in your haste to build a straw man.

However, his reheated Nietzschism certainly seems to attract the modern fascist movement.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,796

Raab is playing to the gallery (in this case the membership who will vote on leader):

https://twitter.com/davidallengreen/status/1020926457504321536

Raab is a deeply unserious man nominally in charge of a make or break negotiation. Worse again than Davis.
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    kle4 said:

The anti-semitism thing is stupid politics. The Labour Party has an issue with a small number of entryist headbangers whose hatred of Israel spills over into base antisemitic tropes. These headbangers are all Corbyn "supporters" so when the party tries to take action they scream about Blairite plots and purges.

The obvious thing to do would be accept the IHRA definition in full without exceptions and vigourously police it. Tory Jewish groups would bleat for political effect but would lose their easy target. But to do so causes Corbyn's team a problem - very vocal supporters are the ones upset at the party's support for the state of Israel, and to conceed now would be to lose to Blairites.

And so we have the current lunacy. A perceived victory against Blairites is more important that being electable - headbangers don't see the point in winning unless the Blair scurge has been eradicated.

It does seem the kind of poor politics you can only get away with when you have an iron grip on the party and everyone is distracted by wider concerns, but still poor politics all the same.

I appreciate these things can be fiendishly complicated, but why are the people who estimate these things so bloody useless at estimating*? I know politicians love building things, but such a massive increase in costs just seems unjustifiable.

*Apparently it is possible to estimate things correctly, there was that tunnel in Switzerland last year completed on time and on budge I seem to recall.
    You don't get projects approved by the treasury if you highball your estimates. You need to estimate just enough to be palatable to treasury during this SR; any future, unforecast expenditure falls beyond civil service planning horizons (and deployment periods) :).
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,146
    HYUFD said:

Yes if the government fails to replace free movement with tighter immigration controls the far right will see a rise in its support

And if they replace free movement with a mobility framework and preside over an increase in non-EU migration, what do you think happens to support for the far right?
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,977
    Sandpit said:

CD13 said:

That’s a good thread and is nearly all correct. The mistake is that the airspace slot booking service Eurocontrol is not an EU body, and UK membership of it will not lapse on Brexit. Banning a nation’s planes from overflying your airspace is literally an act of war. Ask Qatar.

1. Regulatory, which happens under the auspices of the European Aviation Safety Agency (EASA) and provides licences to airlines, planes, pilots, engineers, air traffic controllers etc.)

and

2. Trade agreements, such as the Single European Sky (which allows eg Irish-registered Ryanair to operate domestic British flights) and the Open Skies agreements with the USA and other counties, which provides for reciprocal landing rights between EU and US/other foreign carriers.

Issues around 1 will be either resolved by the UK becoming an associate member of EASA (like Switzerland and a number of other countries) or bringing regulatory functions back to our own Civil Aviation Authority (CAA), as they were before EASA existed, and having those approved by the International Civil Aviation Organistation (ICAO), a UN body of which the UK is already a member in its own right.

Note that failure to resolve things here does indeed lead to all British planes, pilots, airlines, engineers, air traffic controllers and others being grounded on the day we leave. It also causes international chaos as nearly every large plane in the sky worldwide has lots of British parts, and British pilots and ATCOs work all over the world.

Issues around 2 are more politically difficult, but we need to be ready to sign a number of agreements on or before Brexit day, such as with the USA and Middle East countries, most of which should simply be rollovers of existing arrangements but still need doing. Adults would also agree to keep Britain in the existing EU agreements, given how many European airlines are in a very precarious financial position.

IMO we should quickly get ICAO involved as a mediator for the regulatory issues, it’s in no-one’s interest to ground serviceable planes and pilots around the world. It’s mostly bureaucratic problems to overcome here, rather than political problems.

In the thread it states that Eurocontrol predates the EU, but that it is not clear how the UK would integrate into it after Brexit.

• Options
    FF43 said:

Raab is a deeply unserious man nominally in charge of a make or break negotiation. Worse again than Davis.

If Raab is saying a deal can be done by October, I think he is echoing May and Barnier. The No Deal posturing is just playing to the gallery and trying to prevent leakage to UKIP.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

And if they replace free movement with a mobility framework and preside over an increase in non-EU migration, what do you think happens to support for the far right?
    The mobility framework will still not be free movement nor are there any plans to increase non-EU migration just make EU migration subject to more of the tighter migration controls of non EU migration
  • Options
    edited July 2018

HYUFD said:

No it is an approval rating, just as usual you dismiss any poll you dislike the result of
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,279
    Alistair said:

kyf_100 said:

kyf_100 said:

Uh, ok.

Peterson would be happily goose stepping the second a fascist government was installed whilst trying to blame it all on women.
    Presumably in a blow against the Feminazis, ole Jordan would be gander stepping.
  • Options
    archer101auarcher101au Posts: 1,612

HYUFD said:

Roger said:

Yes, SeanT, Archer, Gin, Another Richard were all pro Boris last night as are the polls.

Just there are hardly any PB Tories on PB this morning and those who are are amost all liberal soft Brexiteers or were Remainers
    I'm not pro Boris.

He's a good showman but he doesn't do the required proper planning or attention to details to be PM.
    I would prefer JRM, but Boris will do fine for me and I don't think JRM will stand against him. I think Boris is best placed right now.

A leader who gets big picture issues is just fine (eg Ronald Reagan) so long as he is aware of the limitation and can delegate to someone who can command the detail. I think Boris can do this.

May is all over detail, and looks where it gets her. I would prefer a leader who doesn't get bogged down and has time to think. My favourite Reagan quote: "They say hard work never killed anyone, but why take any chances"?
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,033
    MaxPB said:

Went to a pretty amazing wedding reception last night, I don't think we've been this hungover for a few years. Just checked out of the hotel, I think I'm still too far over the limit to drive. In a happy coincidence I've brought my clubs with me and our room comes with a free tee time, my better half is going to take full advantage of the spa facilities.

They have definitely set the standard for weddings this summer, going to be a tough act to follow.

Fascinating.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

The mobility framework will still not be free movement nor are there any plans to increase non-EU migration just make EU migration subject to more of the tighter migration controls of non EU migration
    If non-EU migration increases without it being planned (as has happened), does that help placate the far right?

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2018/07/16/migration-rises-non-eu-workers-make-fall-eu-arrivals/
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

CD13 said:

and

Thank you. An excellent and rational analysis. Can you spare some time and go and work for DexEU?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Roger said:

I'm not pro Boris.

I would prefer JRM, but Boris will do fine for me and I don't think JRM will stand against him. I think Boris is best placed right now.

A leader who gets big picture issues is just fine (eg Ronald Reagan) so long as he is aware of the limitation and can delegate to someone who can command the detail. I think Boris can do this.

May is all over detail, and looks where it gets her. I would prefer a leader who doesn't get bogged down and has time to think. My favourite Reagan quote: "They say hard work never killed anyone, but why take any chances"?
    So why not go for it now. Clearly the vast majority of Tory MPs do not agree with you.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

No it is an approval rating, just as usual you dismiss any poll you dislike the result of
    No it isn’t.

It asks about ‘positivity’

YouGov themselves have said it is NOT an approval rating.

Now who do you think I’m going to trust about interpreting a YouGov poll?

YouGov or you?
  • Options
    surby said:

Resolutely not answering the question because HYUFD has no answer. He also shifts his loyalty with the seasons. May could do no wrong, now fragrance comes out of Boris' arse.

Not totally unfair, but as I understand it HYUFD is a Tory and the one thing Tories care about is being in power. May's deal was backed by the Cabinet because they thought it would keep them in power. It has tanked with the party and the people. Now Boris has resigned and he looks both popular and principled, it is obvious that Tories will be looking at him again. If Tory MPs start to think that he is more likely than May to keep them in power, of course they will back him.

Sadly, they would also back arch-Remainer Hammond if they thought it would get them a win. This is the beast we are dealing with.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,430

HYUFD said:

Roger said:

I'm not pro Boris.

Trouble is, the Tories need two people, unless they can find someone with both skills. They need a campaigner who can take on Corbyn and his campaigning flair and his army of millennials, and they need someone who can govern. Poetry and prose and all that.
  • Options
    edited July 2018

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

No it isn’t.

YouGov or you?
    TSE: I don't know why you get heated up about HYUFD ? Just follow this logic. Think he is not that intelligent.......the rest will follow.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

CD13 said:

and

What you are talking about is an agreed position with the EU, albeit a minimal deal. No Deal means we don't agree. The planes will still fly under No Deal but on an ad hoc permission basis.
  • Options
    edited July 2018

Sandpit said:

CD13 said:

and

Thank you. An excellent and rational analysis. Can you spare some time and go and work for DexEU?
    There’s a couple of good threads going in the pilots’ forum PPRuNe on the subject, although they occasionally commit politics just as we occasionally commit aviation. ;)

https://www.pprune.org/rumours-news/607757-ec-notice-brexit-issued-licenses-certificates-invalid.html
    https://www.pprune.org/rumours-news/611309-irish-airspace-brexit.html
  • Options
    surby said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

No it isn’t.

YouGov or you?
    TSE: I don't know why you get heated up about HYUFD ? Just follow this logic. Think he is not that intelligent.......the rest will follow.
    This is a betting site.

I’d hate for people to lose money following his lack of understanding on polls.
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,963

kyf_100 said:

kyf_100 said:

Uh, ok.

I never actually suggested Jordan Peterson was a fascist. I don’t think you read my post very carefully in your haste to build a straw man.

However, his reheated Nietzschism certainly seems to attract the modern fascist movement.
    I read your post. "Like the 1930s, it is time to pick sides... [Brexit has been hijacked by the fascists]... This doesn't make Brexit wrong per se but..."

You're just trotting out the old "everyone who disagrees with me is a fascist" line (or a fascist enabler, in this case).

What you're actually doing is starting with a belief you hold (Brexit is wrong), looking for the worst possible people who support it (in this case Bannon, who you argue - but do not prove - is a fascist), conflating key supporters of Brexit (in this case Farage, who you describe as a "fellow traveller") with fascism, therefore Brexit = Fascist. You threw a couple of hilarious names in there (Putin and Peterson - "worshipped" by fascists) in an attempt to further muddy the waters and apply by stealth the fascist tag to anything you don't like.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

CD13 said:

and

Excellent background. pb.cm at its best.
  • Options
    surby said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

No it isn’t.

YouGov or you?
    Oh yes dismiss anyone who disagrees with you as an idiot
  • Options
    rural_voterrural_voter Posts: 2,038

surby said:

Not totally unfair, but as I understand it HYUFD is a Tory and the one thing Tories care about is being in power. May's deal was backed by the Cabinet because they thought it would keep them in power. It has tanked with the party and the people. Now Boris has resigned and he looks both popular and principled, it is obvious that Tories will be looking at him again. If Tory MPs start to think that he is more likely than May to keep them in power, of course they will back him.

Sadly, they would also back arch-Remainer Hammond if they thought it would get them a win. This is the beast we are dealing with.
    But I don't think they would. In modern times they've turned down

Ken Clarke
    Michael Heseltine

as potential leaders because they were too 'wet'.
  • Options
    ralphmalphralphmalph Posts: 2,201

Sandpit said:

CD13 said:

and

The CAA have a webpage with their preparations for Brexit, including a no deal brexit. They seem to be on the case.

https://www.caa.co.uk/Our-work/About-us/EU-exit/
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

No it isn’t.

YouGov or you?
    It is a rating of net positivity which is basically an approval rating in all but name.

• Options

surby said:

But I don't think they would. In modern times they've turned down

Ken Clarke
    Michael Heseltine

as potential leaders because they were too 'wet'.
    John Major also managed to win in 1992 just as Heseltine would have done.

It is highly unlikely Clarke would have beaten Blair in 2001 or 2005 even had he become Tory leader though his pro Euro views made him anathema anyway. At most he may have gained a handful more seats.
  • Options
    edited July 2018

surby said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

No it isn’t.

YouGov or you?
    This is a betting site.

You keep claiming that while endlessly ramping up people you have bets on even when all the polling evidence refutes your claims.

Hunt trails Corbyn by 12% with Yougov today. Do you really think the Tories are going to make him leader with that rating? And you continue to ramp him up as next Tory leader to punters to put money on and accuse me of making people lose money!
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    HYUFD said:

surby said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

No it isn’t.

YouGov or you?
    This is a betting site.

You keep claiming that while endlessly ramping up people you have bets on even when all the polling evidence refutes your claims.

Hunt trails Corbyn by 12% with Yougov today. Do you really think the Tories are going to make him leader with that rating? And you continue to ramp him up as next Tory leader to punters to put money on and accuse me of making people lose money!
    What is your evidence to suggest that Johnson will win an election? All the risks on him are on the downside.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

surby said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

No it isn’t.

YouGov or you?
    This is a betting site.

Ken Clarke had better ratings than William Hague and IDS yet the latter two became leader. Polling can be irrelevant. Often winning Tory leadership contests is about who you aren’t, not who you are.

Anyone who has followed my tips on say Hunt and Javid have been able to trade out for a profit for some time.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

and

Excellent post. I need one clarification:is the UK a member of Eurocontrol today [ alongwith the other EU27 ] or we are through the EU ? If it is the latter, it will be not so easy.

Some across-the-board governmental guarantee would be needed both for regulatory as well as insurance purposes.
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    edited July 2018
    surby said:

Sandpit said:

and

Excellent post. I need one clarification:is the UK a member of Eurocontrol today [ alongwith the other EU27 ] or we are through the EU ? If it is the latter, it will be not so easy.

Some across-the-board governmental guarantee would be needed both for regulatory as well as insurance purposes.
    The UK has been a member since '63.

*edit* I'd add that Eurocontrol membership is a superset of the EU, for example Ukraine and Turkey are members to name but two.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,088

dixiedean said:

kyf_100 said:

Uh, ok.

LOL, SNP will not have a thousandth of a farthing of funding compared to the Tories, yet after 11 years they are popular and heading for another term , unlike the troughing Tories, reviled across the country.
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    malcolmg said:

dixiedean said:

kyf_100 said:

Uh, ok.

LOL, SNP will not have a thousandth of a farthing of funding compared to the Tories, yet after 11 years they are popular and heading for another term , unlike the troughing Tories, reviled across the country.
    SNP voteshare at Holyrood down on 2016 in the polls
  • Options
    edited July 2018

HYUFD said:

surby said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

No it isn’t.

YouGov or you?
    This is a betting site.

Ken Clarke had better ratings than William Hague and IDS yet the latter two became leader. Polling can be irrelevant. Often winning Tory leadership contests is about who you aren’t, not who you are.

Anyone who has followed my tips on say Hunt and Javid have been able to trade out for a profit for some time.
    Only because the latter two were more Eurosceptic than Clarke and Boris is now the Eurosceptics champion so even that argument does not work.

On backing Javid you have made some sense but backing Hunt makes little sense now
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    matt said:

HYUFD said:

surby said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

No it isn’t.

YouGov or you?
    This is a betting site.

What is your evidence to suggest that Johnson will win an election? All the risks on him are on the downside.
    The evidence is Boris is the ONLY Tory potential leadership contender who would not trail Corbyn with Yougov today.

Boris has also proved his election winning ability by winning two London Mayoral elections and the EU referendum
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,002

I think you're right, in the sense that there is a seasonality to PB: the mix changes according to the day and time of day. I'd be interested to see if it varies by polling levels and month/year

• Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,369

Note the penultimate paragraph in the article:

' ... phase one would use up the entire budget for HS2 and would not be ready until about 2031, five years late. '

A few years ago I suggested that the real plan was for HS2 to be a fast Birmingham to London commuter line and the northern extensions would be postponed / cancelled.
    What a surprise. This was a Broxtowe election issue in 2015 - Anna S and most councillors (including Labour ones) favoured the project, I opposed it. Essentially the argument was benefits for the local and national economy vs anticipated disruption and scepticism over the cost estimates (as per the above report). I've argued about it here with Josiah Jessop, who is a fan.

The electorate seemed marginally against (in a few cases people were directly affected), but few shifted their votes either way on that basis. By 2017 people had shrugged and moved on and it no longer seemed to be debated.
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    HYUFD said:

matt said:

HYUFD said:

surby said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

No it isn’t.

YouGov or you?
    This is a betting site.

The evidence is Boris is the ONLY Tory potential leadership contender who would not trail Corbyn with Yougov today.

Boris has also proved his election winning ability by winning two London Mayoral elections and the EU referendum
    Much as people who follow politics closely may think Boris a disaster as Foreign Secretary, Joe Voter will have had virtually no exposure to that. Not enough to change their perspective of the guy anyway.

Boris is still touched by coming across as an "anti-politician", in an age when politicians are reviled. He is still the guy whose signing up for Brexit delivered it. Deep down, Labour still fear the man that robbed them of London....
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,983
    surby said:

Cyclefree said:

rkrkrk said:

Sandpit said:

Second!

Better to be the party divided about policy than the party divided about racism.

Alternatively the Labour leadership have admitted they have a problem and are working out what to do about it, perhaps not particularly competently.
    The Tories deny they have a problem.
    In the short term *this* is the antisemitism problem Labour has: an entirely pointless public row over part of the IHRA definition. It repels voters, splits the party and provides ammunition to opponents. In the longer term, and the root cause of the issue, Labour's problem with antisemitism is not that it has people who hate Jews -- the last leader was Jewish and when he was elected, pretty much 100 per cent of members' votes went to Jewish candidates, since he beat his

Maybe Labour is right and its amended version of the IHRA definition is better than the original -- but who cares? It is politically asinine. Adopt the whole IHRA version and let those who want to criticise Israel find better ways of doing so (or just tell them to shut the f up).
    Exactly.
    It’s not just about the IRHA definition, though is it?

It’s about the fact that Labour is imposing very different requirements on racism against Jews than it does for any sort of racism directed at other groups: blacks or Muslims.

It’s about the fact that Labour is looking for a way in which it can call Jews Nazis (why?) but is not looking for a way in which it can call blacks “niggers”.

It’s about Labour accepting the McPherson view that a racist act or insult is one if the victim perceives it to be so but is now saying that this does not apply to Jews. In their case someone can use the most insultingly anti-semitic language against them but it won’t be anti-semitic unless the perpetrator intended it to be antisemitic, thus giving the benefit of the doubt to the perpetrator not the victim, unlike with other groups, where only the victim’s perception matters.

It’s about double standards, Nick.

It’s about Labour treating Jews more unfavourably in how they are to be treated and spoken about to other groups.

If only there were a word to describe this.
    If most Jews feel the same as Cyclefree , then Labour will lose Jewish votes. In 2017, there was a poll which found less than 15% of Jews would vote Labour. I am not sure how many that is in actual voting numbers. 25000 in the whole of the UK ?
    Certainly, Labour has no need of Jewish voters, but it isn't just Jews who are repelled by this argument.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,832
    edited July 2018
    HYUFD said:

matt said:

HYUFD said:

surby said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

No it isn’t.

This is a betting site.

If the Tories want to change leader every time a poll lead changes, then they will need to fit revolving doors! There is also the issue of what PM Botis would actually propose as policy, apart from a bridge to France with a queue of lorries on it waiting for the border posts. Additional to the small matter of no election in the offing, and the rather delicious prospect of Boris losing his seat, were there to be one.

Appointing Boris as leader (and his support in Parliament may not get him onto the shortlist), would be entertaining. If you are driving a car off a cliff, it may as wellbe a clown car!
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

malcolmg said:

dixiedean said:

kyf_100 said:

Uh, ok.

So ? They will still win the election. The Scottish system does not need a majority.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    viewcode said:

I think you're right, in the sense that there is a seasonality to PB: the mix changes according to the day and time of day. I'd be interested to see if it varies by polling levels and month/year

I'd be interested in knowing how many posters' (and lurkers') IP addresses changed at general elections, especially 2010, as Tory astroturfers SpAds changed places with Labour ones at the heart of government. Don't knock it -- it is insiders who keep things running.
  • Options
    edited July 2018

viewcode said:

I'd be interested in knowing how many posters' (and lurkers') IP addresses changed at general elections, especially 2010, as Tory astroturfers SpAds changed places with Labour ones at the heart of government. Don't knock it -- it is insiders who keep things running.
    My IP address changes several times a day, across several different countries! I’m surprised Vanilla hasn’t banned me yet.
  • Options

If cliff edge Brexit leads to food shortages, lorry parks, mass factory shutdowns awaiting parts etc etc, then the Tories could elect Churchill as leader and still be slaughtered.
  • Options

viewcode said:

I think you'd have to ask whoever runs this site ( @TheScreamingEagles or @rcs1000 ?) about that
  • Options

Boris is still touched by coming across as an "anti-politician", in an age when politicians are reviled...

True.

Boris is still touched by coming across as an "anti-politician"...

True

Boris is still touched...

True

Pause

:)

• Options

If cliff edge Brexit leads to food shortages, lorry parks, mass factory shutdowns awaiting parts etc etc, then the Tories could elect Churchill as leader and still be slaughtered.

Surely 35% will still be in fear of a Corbyn government, no ? After all, he will bring this country to its knees..........
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    viewcode said:

viewcode said:

I think you'd have to ask whoever runs this site ( @TheScreamingEagles or @rcs1000 ?) about that
    RCS runs the technical side of pb. He might know provided it occurred to him to look at the time. I very much doubt the site keeps logs from eight years ago.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

viewcode said:

Robert is the master of vanilla.

I generally run PB from Wordpress which is where the threads are published.

That said I do know that a few PB comments were published from inside 10 Downing Street back in 2014 and 2015.

A brilliant PB thread writer with legendary modesty was the author of those comments.

He may have also written a few comments and a thread from Matthew Parker Street too.
  • Options
    surby said:

Surely 35% will still be in fear of a Corbyn government, no ? After all, he will bring this country to its knees..........
    I doubt that anyone will be thinking about the alternative. They will just want to punish the idiots who made this mess.

But, judging by Raab's first big day in office, the Tories have decided to test my theory.
  • Options
    I think I wrote a thread whilst at 1 Horse Guards Road.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,403
    Morning team. I will shortly have some time to watch a couple of films or some tv (2x 2h slots).

While yes I know I should finish reading A Brief History of Seven Killings, I wondered if there are any recommendations from the PB Arts & Culture Committee on what I should watch.

Wot I have liked recently/in the past:

Flint Town (series, but ideally no series, I only have 4hrs total, then again...)
    Any low budget-ish Brit film - eg. Four Lions (best film evah, obvs), Starred Up, Attack the Block, Eddie the Eagle, etc
    I also actually like the Ricky Gervais David Brent On The Road
    Beasts of No Nation
    This is England (film)
    Dunkirk (not quite suitable for a small screen)
    & obvs the Wire, Breaking Bad, West Wing, The Staircase, etc (all of course mini-series)

Thanking you in advance.
  • Options

I think I wrote a thread whilst at 1 Horse Guards Road.

I posted on here from Somalia.....
  • Options
    edited July 2018

The first part of your sentence is partly ultra Remainer wish fulfilment and is why the government is already starting to stockpile and issue visas for vehicles etc to prepare for a No Deal Brexit.

In any case 46% of voters back hard Brexit even with No Deal with Yougov today and the Tories only need about 42/43% for a majority. As the polls also make clear if the Tories back BINO then they are far more likely to be slaughtered than if they back hard Brexit as Leaver Tories will either stay at home or switch to UKIP
  • Options
    On the throw-away line at the end of this thread

"the reason Lib Dem leader Vince Cable missed a crucial vote earlier in the week was because he was attending a meeting about setting up another centre party"

have the LibDems accepted that their brand is permanently Ratnered?
  • Options

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

Robert is the master of vanilla.

I generally run PB from Wordpress which is where the threads are published.

That said I do know that a few PB comments were published from inside 10 Downing Street back in 2014 and 2015.

A brilliant PB thread writer with legendary modesty was the author of those comments.

He may have also written a few comments and a thread from Matthew Parker Street too.
    Is he an advocate of AV ?
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,033
    En Marche UK will be fucked beyond recognition before it starts if Cable is involved.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

matt said:

HYUFD said:

surby said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

No it isn’t.

YouGov or you?
    This is a betting site.

You keep claiming that while endlessly ramping e money!

Much as people who follow politics closely may think Boris a disaster as Foreign Secretary, Joe Voter will have had virtually no exposure to that. Not enough to change their perspective of the guy anyway.

Boris is still touched by coming across as an "anti-politician", in an age when politicians are reviled. He is still the guy whose signing up for Brexit delivered it. Deep down, Labour still fear the man that robbed them of London....
    Indeed, Boris may well be the only Tory with the charisma and election winning skills and populist appeal to beat Corbyn at the next general election
  • Options

On the throw-away line at the end of this thread

"the reason Lib Dem leader Vince Cable missed a crucial vote earlier in the week was because he was attending a meeting about setting up another centre party"

have the LibDems accepted that their brand is permanently Ratnered?

Sleeping with the Enemy is not a brilliant tactic.
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092
    HYUFD said:

surby said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

No it isn’t.

YouGov or you?
    It's just that your shtick of citing weak evidence as if it were definitive gets tiresome
  • Options
    Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

matt said:

HYUFD said:

surby said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

No it isn’t.

This is a betting site.

You keep claiming that while endlessly ramping up people youlose money!

If the Tories want to change leader every time a poll lead changes, then they will need to fit revolving doors! There is also the issue of what PM Botis would actually propose as policy, apart from a bridge to France with a queue of lorries on it waiting for the border posts. Additional to the small matter of no election in the offing, and the rather delicious prospect of Boris losing his seat, were there to be one.

Appointing Boris as leader (and his support in Parliament may not get him onto the shortlist), would be entertaining. If you are driving a car off a cliff, it may as wellbe a clown car!
    On present polls if and when May goes Boris may be the only Tory leader who can keep Uxbridge Tory at the next general election
  • Options
    surby said:

HYUFD said:

malcolmg said:

dixiedean said:

kyf_100 said:

Uh, ok.

What I can not understand is why these people can not see in cist Party.
    So ? They will still win the election. The Scottish system does not need a majority.
    Not necessarily, there have been several polls giving Unionist parties a majority even if the SNP remains largest party
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Morning team. I will shortly have some time to watch a couple of films or some tv (2x 2h slots).

While yes I know I should finish reading A Brief History of Seven Killings, I wondered if there are any recommendations from the PB Arts & Culture Committee on what I should watch.

Flint Town (series, but ideally no series, I only have 4hrs total, then again...)
    Any low budget-ish Brit film - eg. Four Lions (best film evah, obvs), Starred Up, Attack the Block, Eddie the Eagle, etc
    Beasts of No Nation
    This is England (film)
    & obvs the Wire, Breaking Bad, West Wing, The Staircase, etc (all of course mini-series)

Thanking you in advance.

I assume you have seen The Guard? If not, it's a gem. Also, Submarine.
  • Options

The only possible reason for putting Raab into post is that he makes May look brilliant. Raab can fail to explain the many contradictions of his Brexit position in the media while May and the civil servants can concoct some arrangement that sort of holds the mess together.

At least I hope so. It would be worrying if Raab really was making decisions.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

surby said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

No it isn’t.

YouGov or you?
    It's just that your shtick of citing weak evidence as if it were definitive gets tiresome
    Or rather the fact you are just sick of the fact I cite factual evidence which does not support your political views
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

surby said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

No it isn’t.

YouGov or you?
    Or rather the fact you are just sick of the fact I cite factual evidence which does not support your political views
    Not really. It annoys me even when I agree with you, like on the point that FOM is really the definitive red line on whether something could be called BINO or not.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Beasts of No Nation
    This is England (film)

Thanking you in advance.

I assume you have seen The Guard? If not, it's a gem. Also, Submarine.
    Excellent thanks will look out both.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,832
    edited July 2018
    TOPPING said:

Beasts of No Nation
    This is England (film)

Thanking you in advance.

I highly recommend Mark Kermodes new series on BBC4 on film, edition 1 on Rom Coms got me seeing them in a new light.

I would also recommend the NZ film "Hunt for the Wilderpeople" on Netflix, an odd comedy, coming of age, absurdist critique of modern life.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

The first part of your sentence is partly ultra Remainer wish fulfilment and is why the government is already starting to stockpile and issue visas for vehicles etc to prepare for a No Deal Brexit.

In any case 46% of voters back hard Brexit even with No Deal with Yougov today and the Tories only need about 42/43% for a majority. As the polls also make clear if the Tories back BINO then they are far more likely to be slaughtered than if they back hard Brexit as Leaver Tories will either stay at home or switch to UKIP
    You are pathetically weak when you keep on quoting poll numbers on hypotheticals. If there was a genuine shortage of food [ however, small and short-lived ] and there was panic buying in the supermarkets, please mention the 46% again. The response may not be just exasperation at your dopiness !
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,279
    HYUFD said:

Not necessarily, there have been several polls giving Unionist parties a majority even if the SNP remains largest party

Just not the most recent one.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

TOPPING said:

Beasts of No Nation
    This is England (film)

Thanking you in advance.

I highly recommend Mark Kermodes new series on BBC4 on film, edition 1 on Rom Coms got me seeing them in a new light.

I would also recommend the NZ film "Hunt for the Wilderpeople" on Netflix, an oddcomedy, coming of age, absurdist critique ofmodern life. It is on Netflix.
    Thanks yes I saw that Hunt for the Wilderpeople - agree it is great. Funnily enough analagous to some of the Brit films.

Will look at Kermode also, have read his books and I do of course like their R5 prog.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

surby said:

HYUFD said:

malcolmg said:

dixiedean said:

kyf_100 said:

Uh, ok.

Do you really believe Labour will form a coalition with the Tories ? Are you d**b or what ? Labour courted disaster just by appearing on the same platform.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    surby said:

Do you really believe Labour will form a coalition with the Tories ? Are you d**b or what ? Labour courted disaster just by appearing on the same platform.

Obviously, only a fool would think that Labour and the Tories would team up.

All a unionist majority does is prevent the SNP from launching a new SindyRef but they're not going to anyway so it makes no difference.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,920

surby said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

No it isn’t.

YouGov or you?
    This is a betting site.

Bets have winners and losers. For me to be in the former group, someone has to be in the latter.
    I wish some of the posters on here who are so certain about certain things were prepared to put money down.
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    TOPPING said:

Foxy said:

TOPPING said:

Beasts of No Nation
    This is England (film)

Thanking you in advance.

I would also recommend the NZ film "Hunt for the Wilderpeople" on Netflix, an oddcomedy, coming of age, absurdist critique ofmodern life. It is on Netflix.
    Thanks yes I saw that Hunt for the Wilderpeople - agree it is great. Funnily enough analagous to some of the Brit films.

Will look at Kermode also, have read his books and I do of course like their R5 prog.
    Do Mark Kermode and Simon Mayo still do the Friday afternoon film review programme on R5L? Used to be an unmissable show on the drive home, radio at its absolute best.
  • Options
    F1. 40% chance of rain officially, after a dry day so far. Dark clouds starting to gather only five minutes before the start...
  • Options
    surby said:

HYUFD said:

surby said:

HYUFD said:

malcolmg said:

dixiedean said:

kyf_100 said:

Uh, ok.

What about a Party where policy is dictated by the leadership without any make.
    I never said that anywhere.

From 2007 to 2011 there was a Unionist majority at Holyrood which blocked any independence referendum but the SNP were still largest party and Salmond was still First Minister
  • Options
    BromptonautBromptonaut Posts: 1,113
    edited July 2018

Sandpit said:

CD13 said:

and

The CAA have a webpage with their preparations for Brexit, including a no deal brexit. They seem to be on the case.

https://www.caa.co.uk/Our-work/About-us/EU-exit/
    On part of the case:

“The CAA has no direct role in the negotiation of air transport agreements, which govern the rights to fly between two countries. These are formal treaties and are negotiated directly between governments.”
  • Options
    edited July 2018

HYUFD said:

Just not the most recent one.
    Which still had the SNP down on 2016
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    surby said:

HYUFD said:

You are pathetically weak when you keep on quoting poll numbers on hypotheticals. If there was a genuine shortage of food [ however, small and short-lived ] and there was panic buying in the supermarkets, please mention the 46% again. The response may not be just exasperation at your dopiness !
    Most of our food comes from domestic sources or from countries which are not in the EU. Even with no deal we are not never going to have any food imports from the EU ever again anyway even if they get more expensive.

If there is no deal ultimately it will be because the EU have refused May's terms for a trading agreement in which case the Leave voting majority will mainly blame Barnier and the EU if Boris takes over and we go to full No Deal Brexit
This discussion has been closed.