Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Rees-Mogg moves back into the favourite slot for next CON lead

12346»

Comments

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,168
    dixiedean said:

AndyJS said:

O/T

It's going to be 30 degrees tomorrow at Wimbledon and both players haven't had much time to recover from the previous matches. Would the sensible thing be to move the match to a 5pm start instead of 2pm? The Mixed Doubles final could be played first at 2pm.

That would be considered chilly for a US and especially an Australian Open.
    Would it? It was 28 degrees in New York yesterday.

Sydney in the height of the Australian summer maybe
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,369
    As a neutral on inner-Tory disputes but a veteran of internal party disputes, I genuinely hope Big G and HYUFD don't take their arguments too personally - it's an awkward situation, there's scope for more than one view, and it's not worth getting personal about it.
  • Options
    edited July 2018

As a neutral on inner-Tory disputes but a veteran of internal party disputes, I genuinely hope Big G and HYUFD don't take their arguments too personally - it's an awkward situation, there's scope for more than one view, and it's not worth getting personal about it.

I try not too, differences on views and policy should not be directed personally I agree however heated they may get
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,913

Well said. Politics is essentially the art of getting on after all.
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    dixiedean said:

shiney2 said:

Sean_F said:

GIN1138 said:

The ERG do not have the balls, the wit, or the numbers to challenge May.

Polling puts on more pressure, but let’s be honest, we are mid-term and in the ninth year of Tory or Tory-led government, so nothing to get over excited about.

It's more than just polling. Con members are absolutely furious (and quitting in droves) at what's happening.

This is now an existential crisis for the Conservative Party.
    Judging by this week's polling, most Conservatives are sticking with the Conservative party
    Thin gruel, as our next PM might say.

The pot seems to be coming to a roiling boil if the comments beneath Steve Baker's 'May conspiracy' article are in any way representative.
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2018/07/14/theresa-mays-secret-cloak-dagger-plot-foil-brexit-revealed-minister/

Do you think she can survive acceptance of a M.Barnier demand for FreeMovement ?
    No. But then we would be heading for Crash Brexit. For which we have made little to no plans. Which Party was in government when no preparation was made?
    We have just under a year to prepare, though May's deal at least likely extends that to 2 and a half years if as is likely it means the EU confirms the transition period to December 2020
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

AndyJS said:

O/T

It's going to be 30 degrees tomorrow at Wimbledon and both players haven't had much time to recover from the previous matches. Would the sensible thing be to move the match to a 5pm start instead of 2pm? The Mixed Doubles final could be played first at 2pm.

If one or both players aren't able to perform at anything like their normal level it'll be a sad day for Wimbledon.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 8,006
    HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

AndyJS said:

O/T

It was 26 degrees in Sydney on 6th July. Remarkable.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,393
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Roger said:

Fascinating thread. The Ungovernable versus the Unelectable. It's difficult to know which way it'll go. If tomorrow's stories are correct Mrs May REALLY is in trouble. Brexit could be turned over and the Tory Party could split in two. Would that push the voters into the arms of Corbyn? A leader who offers no more than a pig in a poke?

A Corbyn government would of course solve nothing given he would keep us out of the single market anyway and be squeezed between his pro EEA backbenchers and a likely hard Brexiteer Tory Leader of the Opposition
    You are going the way to get a Corbyn government elected
    No you are. As all the polling showing Labour ahead has come after the Chequers Deal and because Tory Leave voters have gone to UKIP
    Why am I - I will not sell my soul to UKIP
    Either the Tories win back UKIP voters or Corbyn becomes PM.

If you really cannot stand a hard Brexit Tory Party which may become inevitable if the EU refuse a FTA based on May's proposals then you might be better off in the LDs for the foreseeable future
    I am going nowhere and will fight you from within my party

There will be no hard Brexit without someone explaining how and you certainly have not got a clue other than rejecting UK Airbus workers on the altar of your obsession
    Well prepare to accept being in a minority within the party for the foreseeable future then.

Nobody is sacrificing Airbus workers other than Airbus executives blackmailing the UK government into BINO or else they walk
    Tell me how many conservative mps support a JRM or Boris

Your dismissive attitude to Airbus speaks volumes to your lack of knowledge of their supply chains and the integrated nature of their manufacturing. My son in law was in France, Spain, and Germany this week demonstrating the EU cooperation of this vital industry to the UK economy
    Probably a third which will grow as others see the rising UKIP vote in their marginal seats.

Airbus may be an example of EU cooperation but we voted to Leave the EU so if Airbus is not prepared to continue that cooperation with a UK outside the EU then so be it
    And that is why I will fight the idea that Airbus can leave.

By the way how many Airbus workers will vote conservative if this happens. Likely wipe out of conservatives in North Wales and Cheshire and Bristol areas
  • Options

Thanks Nick - sane as ever
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,016
    HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

AndyJS said:

O/T

OK. Over-exaggeration I concede. But not exceptional heat. We just consider it to be as it is for us.
  • Options
    ralphmalphralphmalph Posts: 2,201

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Roger said:

Fascinating thread. The Ungovernable versus the Unelectable. It's difficult to know which way it'll go. If tomorrow's stories are correct Mrs May REALLY is in trouble. Brexit could be turned over and the Tory Party could split in two. Would that push the voters into the arms of Corbyn? A leader who offers no more than a pig in a poke?

No you are. As all the polling showing Labour ahead has come after the Chequers Deal and because Tory Leave voters have gone to UKIP

If you really cannot stand a hard Brexit Tory Party which may become inevitable if the EU refuse a FTA based on May's proposals then you might be better off in the LDs for the foreseeable future

There will be no hard Brexit without someone explaining how and you certainly have not got a clue other than rejecting UK Airbus workers on the altar of your obsession
    Well prepare to accept being in a minority within the party for the foreseeable future then.

Nobody is sacrificing Airbus workers other than Airbus executives blackmailing the UK government into BINO or else they walk
    Tell me how many conservative mps support a JRM or Boris

Your dismissive attitude to Airbus speaks volumes to your lack of knowledge of their supply chains and the integrated nature of their manufacturing. My son in law was in France, Spain, and Germany this week demonstrating the EU cooperation of this vital industry to the UK economy
    Probably a third which will grow as others see the rising UKIP vote in their marginal seats.

Airbus may be an example of EU cooperation but we voted to Leave the EU so if Airbus is not prepared to continue that cooperation with a UK outside the EU then so be it

By the way how many Airbus workers will vote conservative if this happens. Likely wipe out of conservatives in North Wales and Cheshire and Bristol areas
    If you are worried about Airbus leaving, then you need to focus on getting rid of Greg Clarke. He has had one job top do, assure industry here they should stay. He has failed in a spectacular fashion/
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

shiney2 said:

Sean_F said:

GIN1138 said:

Polling puts on more pressure, but let’s be honest, we are mid-term and in the ninth year of Tory or Tory-led government, so nothing to get over excited about.

It's more than just polling. Con members are absolutely furious (and quitting in droves) at what's happening.

Judging by this week's polling, most Conservatives are sticking with the Conservative party

The pot seems to be coming to a roiling boil if the comments beneath Steve Baker's 'May conspiracy' article are in any way representative.
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2018/07/14/theresa-mays-secret-cloak-dagger-plot-foil-brexit-revealed-minister/

Do you think she can survive acceptance of a M.Barnier demand for FreeMovement ?
    No. But then we would be heading for Crash Brexit. For which we have made little to no plans. Which Party was in government when no preparation was made?
    We have just under a year to prepare, though May's deal at least likely extends that to 2 and a half years if as is likely it means the EU confirms the transition period to December 2020
    Of course we could have been thinking about calling Article 50 after we had negotiated a framework of a plan within government, but that ship sailed...
  • Options
    archer101auarcher101au Posts: 1,612

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

If the end result of Brexit is a Corbyn government, I will officially regret my Leave vote.

These polls are dire for the Tories. Theresa May is far, far worse than Brown or Major. She has to go, but when? I suppose Tories must let her deliver her awful Brexit, then sack her in April, and blame it all on her.

But Holy Christ, GET RID OF THIS AUTISTIC COW

If there was a 2nd referendum right now, I'm not sure how I'd vote. Probably - just about - LEAVE, but bloody hell I am not at all sure.

It is only a hard Brexit which will keep Corbyn out and prevent Tory Leavers moving to UKIP it seems.

So either choice not great for the country or the economy
    You still haven't responded to the question I have now asked twice today of you.

How do you stop planes being grounded, log jams at ports, Airbus, Jaguar Land Rover and others migrating back to Europe, the loss of EU wide health cover and non visa travel . How are you proposing to prevent the markets and currencies crashing and investment pouring out of the Country as you so often warn us would happen under Corbyn

I am so interested in your answer as to date, not one Brexiteer has made the argument
    I have addressed this multiple times, in just the same way that DD and co put forward the Leavers Brexit plan. You just ignore them and then pretend they don’t exist.

If the UK declared unilateral free trade for (say) one year, these problems would be mostly solved. UK agrees that all goods that meet EU standards can be imported to the UK without tariff or quota whilst longer term arrangements are putnin place. No logjams, no supply chain interruptions at our end, the UK would be a favoured place to do business.

Planes will not be grounded - UK unilaterally agrees that they will extend the existing open skies agreement.until a new one is enacted and the same for other sorts of arrangements. The EU are not going to make themsleves look even more ridiculous than normal. If we had a decent PM we could rely on the US to threaten to ground EU flights if they took action against the UK - Trump would love to help!

Use the 40bn as incentives to help industry during the transition. Announce that we will agree zero tariff deals with any nation that grants us services access and sign up trade deals. Oh, and for fun, announce that Target 2 balances are no longer to be considered risk free assets within UK regulated banking and that they will have to be risk weighted as per BASEL norms.

It won’t be our currency and economy that will crash.....;)
  • Options
    kjohnwkjohnw Posts: 1,456
    edited July 2018

Big G:
    "By the way how many Airbus workers will vote conservative if this happens. Likely wipe out of conservatives in North Wales and Cheshire and Bristol areas"

from what I have read airbus only came out with their fear mongering because they were pressured by remain ministers before chequers
  • Options
    brendan16brendan16 Posts: 2,315
    AndyJS said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

AndyJS said:

O/T

If one or both players aren't able to perform at anything like their normal level it'll be a sad day for Wimbledon.
    The top tennis professionals regularly play in 35 plus degree heat in Melbourne and the lead up events in Brisbane and Sydney, New York and the lead up events in Cincinatti and Washington plus the Asian swing in the autumn and Miami and Indian Wells in March. It's not great but they are well used to playing in such heat and even hotter at the Aussie open.
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

AndyJS said:

O/T

It was 26 degrees in Sydney on 6th July. Remarkable.
    I am hearing it was -2 for the Canberra Raiders game earlier today. Equally remarkable.
  • Options
    Delta poll has Boris Johnson voters clear favourite to succeed May on 16%.

Mogg and Davidson are tied for second on 8%, with Javid third on 6%

https://mobile.twitter.com/britainelects/status/1018268450324611073
  • Options

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

If the end result of Brexit is a Corbyn government, I will officially regret my Leave vote.

These polls are dire for the Tories. Theresa May is far, far worse than Brown or Major. She has to go, but when? I suppose Tories must let her deliver her awful Brexit, then sack her in April, and blame it all on her.

If there was a 2nd referendum right now, I'm not sure how I'd vote. Probably - just about - LEAVE, but bloody hell I am not at all sure.

It is only a hard Brexit which will keep Corbyn out and prevent Tory Leavers moving to UKIP it seems.

You still haven't responded to the question I have now asked twice today of you.

How do you stop planes being grounded, log jams at ports, Airbus, Jaguar Land Rover and others migrating back to Europe, the loss of EU wide health cover and non visa travel . How are you proposing to prevent the markets and currencies crashing and investment pouring out of the Country as you so often warn us would happen under Corbyn

I am so interested in your answer as to date, not one Brexiteer has made the argument
    I have addressed this multiple times, in just the same way that DD and co put forward the Leavers Brexit plan. You just ignore them and then pretend they don’t exist.

If the UK declared unilateral free trade for (say) one year, these problems would be mostly solved. UK agrees that all goods that meet EU standards can be imported to the UK without tariff or quota whilst longer term arrangements are putnin place. No logjams, no supply chain interruptions at our end, the UK would be a favoured place to do business.

Planes will not be grounded - UK unilaterally agrees that they will extend the existing open skies agreement.until a new one is enacted and the same for other sorts of arrangements. The EU are not going to make themsleves look even more ridiculous than normal. If we had a decent PM we could rely on the US to threaten to ground EU flights if they took action against the UK - Trump would love to help!

Use the 40bn as incentives to help industry during the transition. Announce that we will agree zero tariff deals with any nation that grants us services access and sign up trade deals. Oh, and for fun, announce that Target 2 balances are no longer to be considered risk free assets within UK regulated banking and that they will have to be risk weighted as per BASEL norms.

Well to be fair to you you are the first to put a proposal on the table.

Not sure if they would work or more importantly get the support of the HOC

We will see
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,913
    HYUFD said:

16%? Wow! A nation awaits.
  • Options
    kjohnw said:

Big G:
    "By the way how many Airbus workers will vote conservative if this happens. Likely wipe out of conservatives in North Wales and Cheshire and Bristol areas"

from what I have read airbus only came out with their fear mongering because they were pressured by remain ministers before chequers

Why would Airbus leave? In a WTO Brexit the UK can just exempt aircraft components from tariffs (they are already actually), quotas and customs checks. We announce that UK aviation regulations would remain aligned. There would be no disruption to any supply chain at our end.

Are you suggesting the EU will raise tariffs against Airbus wings that are sent back to France? Taxing themselves would be pretty dumb.

It would take years for Airbus to be able to move wing manufacturing to Europe. They probably will in the end for political reasons. Maybe the Govt should use some of the 40bn to seed our own manufacturer of aircraft - the wings and engines are the most technically demanding parts so if we can make them we could make the rest.
  • Options
    kjohnw said:

Big G:

They with Jaguar Land Rover, Rolls Royce and others issued the warning after meeting the PM

You could say they conspired but in the case of Airbus the CEO wrote to every employee explaining the circumstances and it is clear a hard Brexit will cause chaos for them and threaten investment in the new generation of wings
  • Options

kjohnw said:

Big G:

Why would Airbus leave? In a WTO Brexit the UK can just exempt aircraft components from tariffs (they are already actually), quotas and customs checks. We announce that UK aviation regulations would remain aligned. There would be no disruption to any supply chain at our end.

Are you suggesting the EU will raise tariffs against Airbus wings that are sent back to France? Taxing themselves would be pretty dumb.

It would take years for Airbus to be able to move wing manufacturing to Europe. They probably will in the end for political reasons. Maybe the Govt should use some of the 40bn to seed our own manufacturer of aircraft - the wings and engines are the most technically demanding parts so if we can make them we could make the rest.
    They already produce them in Germany and the new generation of wings could easily be sited in the EU
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

Just crazy
  • Options
    Well time to wish everyone a good nights rest.

Every day in these times something expected or unexpected is likely to happen

Good night
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

shiney2 said:

Sean_F said:

GIN1138 said:

The transition period is contigent on agreement on the Irish backstop.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Roger said:

A Corbyn government would of course solve nothing given he would keep us out of the single market anyway and be squeezed between his pro EEA backbenchers and a likely hard Brexiteer Tory Leader of the Opposition

Tell me how many conservative this vital industry to the UK economy

There are few conservatives in those areas now anyway and those that are tend to be in strong Leave voting areas
  • Options
    rpjs said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

shiney2 said:

Sean_F said:

GIN1138 said:

Which May's BINO deal largely dealt with, even Varadkar welcomed it given how much it conceded
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

Still double the total of the second placed candidates
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

Just before I finally dose off tonights on line Guardian has a detailed explanation on Airbus and the real concerns that are being expressed by the Company and its UK workers

I would ask that you look up that article sometime and you will see why I am so concerned
  • Options
    edited July 2018

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

Just before I finally dose off tonights on line Guardian has a detailed explanation on Airbus and the real concerns that are being expressed by the Company and its UK workers

I would ask that you look up that article sometime and you will see why I am so concerned
    I will have a look but remember the Local Authority area where Airbus at Broughton is based in North Wales, Flintshire, voted 56% Leave, if keeping Airbus was the be all and end all it would have voted Remain because the economic risks came first
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

rpjs said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

shiney2 said:

Sean_F said:

GIN1138 said:

Which May's BINO deal largely dealt with, even Varadkar welcomed it given how much it conceded
    No it hasn't. The NI backstop text is still a problem and I suspect that DD and BJ will hit her over the head with it all week.

The May deal solves the long term NI border issue (if there is one!), but that is part of trade deal not the withdrawal agreement. The WA still needs backstop text. It can't say what the EU propose, because it allows the separation of the UK if the trade deal never gets agreed in the future and the DUP will vote out the Government if that happens. And the EU still say the backstop cannot apply to the whole UK nor be time limited.

The only solution I can see is that the EU say the backstop can apply to the whole UK (pending May's whole UK deal) but that it is not time limited. Good luck selling that - it is obvious that the EU would then be free to backslide on the trade deal after they have their cash. It will become yet clearer that May's deal just doesn't work.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    brendan16 said:

AndyJS said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

AndyJS said:

O/T

The top tennis professionals regularly play in 35 plus degree heat in Melbourne and the lead up events in Brisbane and Sydney, New York and the lead up events in Cincinatti and Washington plus the Asian swing in the autumn and Miami and Indian Wells in March. It's not great but they are well used to playing in such heat and even hotter at the Aussie open.
    Are they used to playing 3 days in a row?
  • Options
    edited July 2018

HYUFD said:

rpjs said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

shiney2 said:

Sean_F said:

GIN1138 said:

No it hasn't. The NI backstop text is still a problem and I suspect that DD and BJ will hit her over the head with it all week.

The May deal solves the long term NI border issue (if there is one!), but that is part of trade deal not the withdrawal agreement. The WA still needs backstop text. It can't say what the EU propose, because it allows the separation of the UK if the trade deal never gets agreed in the future and the DUP will vote out the Government if that happens. And the EU still say the backstop cannot apply to the whole UK nor be time limited.

The only solution I can see is that the EU say the backstop can apply to the whole UK (pending May's whole UK deal) but that it is not time limited. Good luck selling that - it is obvious that the EU would then be free to backslide on the trade deal after they have their cash. It will become yet clearer that May's deal just doesn't work.
    It will be enough for a transition deal until December 2020, for a free trade deal probably no, so prepare for WTO terms hard Brexit from January 2021
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

AndyJS said:

Correction to the Opinium poll

Con 36 (-6)

Lab 40 (nc)

LD 8 (+1)

UKIP 8 (+5)

A 5.5% swing from Conservative to UKIP is the equivalent of about 1.73 million votes moving from one party to the other.
    Only consolation for the Tories is Corbyn would still be about 12 seats short of a majority
    If Labour looks to be faring well across GB , I would expect their support to rally in Scotland where they would be well placed to pick up circa 20 seats - mainly from SNP but also a few from the Tories.
    The most recent Survation and YouGov Scotland only polls show Labour on course to have one MP in Scotland.
    Polls have been overestimating SNP for several years and in 2017 many had Labour at circa 15% - 20% .
  • Options
    brendan16brendan16 Posts: 2,315
    AndyJS said:

brendan16 said:

AndyJS said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

AndyJS said:

O/T

At every tournament bar the Slams they normally play four days in a row if they make the final. Not best of 5 sets but full matches - Djokovic only played 2 sets yesterday and 3 the day before so no unusual!

It's hot but it's not Brisbane or Miami hot.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    brendan16 said:

AndyJS said:

brendan16 said:

AndyJS said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

AndyJS said:

O/T

At every tournament bar the Slams they normally play four days in a row if they make the final. Not best of 5 sets but full matches - Djokovic only played 2 sets yesterday and 3 the day before so no unusual!

It's hot but it's not Brisbane or Miami hot.
    What do you mean by full matches? I thought in non Slam tournaments it was normally best of 3 Sets?
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

kjohnw said:

Big G:

They already produce them in Germany and the new generation of wings could easily be sited in the EU
    So what guarantees do we have that Airbus will remain?

If we base our plans on what Airbus want and they leave any way then what's been achieved?
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    Barnesian said:

Barnesian said:

AndyJS said:

Barnesian said:

Britain Elects
    Westminster voting intention:

LAB: 42% (+1)
    CON: 37% (-4)

via @DeltapollUK
    Chgs. w/ 01 Jun

Awaiting other figures

Corbyn heading for Downing Street. The trend is clear.
    Adding Deltapoll figures:

Con 297
    Lab 275
    SNP 40
    LD 16
    PC 3
    Green 1
    NI 18
    List of predicted seat changes
    Seat County/Area Predicted Change MP as at 2017
    Aberconwy Clwyd LAB gain from CON : Guto Bebb
    Bolton West Western Manchester LAB gain from CON : Chris Green
    Broxtowe Nottinghamshire LAB gain from CON : Anna Soubry
    Calder Valley West Yorkshire LAB gain from CON : Craig Whittaker
    Ceredigion Dyfed LIB gain from NAT : Ben Lake
    Cheltenham Gloucestershire LIB gain from CON : Alex Chalk
    Chipping Barnet Barnet LAB gain from CON : Theresa Villiers
    Glasgow North East Glasgow area NAT gain from LAB : Paul Sweeney
    Hastings and Rye East Sussex LAB gain from CON : Amber Rudd
    Hendon Barnet LAB gain from CON : Matthew Offord
    Kirkcaldy and Cowdenbeath Fife NAT gain from LAB : Lesley Laird
    Mansfield Nottinghamshire LAB gain from CON : Ben Bradley
    Middlesbrough South and Cleveland East Teesside LAB gain from CON : Simon Clarke
    Midlothian Edinburgh area NAT gain from LAB : Danielle Rowley
    Northampton North Northamptonshire LAB gain from CON : Michael Ellis
    Norwich North Norfolk LAB gain from CON : Chloe Smith
    Preseli Pembrokeshire Dyfed LAB gain from CON : Stephen Crabb
    Pudsey West Yorkshire LAB gain from CON : Stuart Andrew
    Richmond Park Richmond Upon Thames LIB gain from CON : Zac Goldsmith
    Rutherglen and Hamilton West Ayrshire and Lanark NAT gain from LAB : Ged Killen
    Southampton Itchen Hampshire LAB gain from CON : Royston Smith
    St Ives Cornwall LIB gain from CON : Derek Thomas
    Stirling Central NAT gain from CON : Stephen Kerr
    Stoke-on-Trent South Staffordshire LAB gain from CON : Jack Brereton
    Telford Shropshire LAB gain from CON : Lucy Allan
    Thurrock Essex LAB gain from CON : Jackie Doyle-Price
    I would not expect Labour to lose any of those seats to the SNP - substantial gains are more likely.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,033
    edited July 2018
    Floater said:

Seriously, what a bunch of.....

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2018/07/14/airbus-fury-loss-raf-deal-brexit-warning/

Airbus bosses are furious after the Government spurred them to publish a dire forecast of the impact of Brexit before handing a prize £2bn RAF contract to US rival Boeing without a competition.

The Telegraph has learnt that last month’s bombshell warning from Airbus that it could be forced to leave the UK came after discussions with senior Remainer ministers preparing for the Chequers summit.

I thought Blairs lot were bad , but ffs

There is no point in Airbus being salty over that. They have no competitive product for E-7 that doesn't exist outside the 2D reality of PowerPoint.

If the UK government did decide to replace the criminally mismanaged E-3D fleet with an Airbus ABM&S platform they would be getting it 20 years hence after footing the doubtless hefty development costs.
  • Options
    old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238
    AndyJS said:
    It would take me about 10 years to send that many text messages.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,941
    Dura_Ace said:

Floater said:

Seriously, what a bunch of.....

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2018/07/14/airbus-fury-loss-raf-deal-brexit-warning/

Airbus bosses are furious after the Government spurred them to publish a dire forecast of the impact of Brexit before handing a prize £2bn RAF contract to US rival Boeing without a competition.

The Telegraph has learnt that last month’s bombshell warning from Airbus that it could be forced to leave the UK came after discussions with senior Remainer ministers preparing for the Chequers summit.

I thought Blairs lot were bad , but ffs

There is no point in Airbus being salty over that. They have no competitive product for E-7 that doesn't exist outside the 2D reality of PowerPoint.

If the UK government did decide to replace the criminally mismanaged E-3D fleet with an Airbus ABM&S platform they would be getting it 20 years hence after footing the doubtless hefty development costs.
    Exactly, Airbus are moaning that we didn't buy a product that only exists inside a computer.

The company's recent behaviour over Brexit doesn't exactly show them in a good light either. There's plenty of ways they can lobby government that don't involve public letters designed to upset their staff and relatives.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,075
    GIN1138 said:

SeanT said:

There is a sad possibility that no-one in the party could do better: the divide is too deep. Put a Europhile in and the Europhobes will whinge and complain; some may even jump ship to another party. Put a Europhobe in and the Europhiles will whinge and complain.
    Yes but as HYUFD has been pointing out "euophobes" VASTLY outweigh "europhiles" in today's modern day Conservative Party.

Upset europhiles and Con will drop a bit. Upset europhobes and Con will collapse. As we're starting to see....
    Firstly, HYUFD is rolling up Eurosceptics with Europhobes.

Secondly, the members in the party are less important than the voters. Even if there are more pure-blood Europhobes in the party, that does not mean they have enough support to push through their course - either in parliament or in the wider country.
  • Options
    PendduPenddu Posts: 265
    So the 'explosive' news story is that politician complains that senior politician is playing politics ...

Where will it end?
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,033
    Sandpit said:

The company's recent behaviour over Brexit doesn't exactly show them in a good light either. There's plenty of ways they can lobby government that don't involve public letters designed to upset their staff and relatives.

The method Airbus used to lobby was very effective. Their intervention was an important factor in the recent vanquishing of the ERG. They are just serving their shareholders' best interests and the emotional equilibrium of their staff is a very long way down their list of priorities. That's capitalism.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,472
    edited July 2018

GIN1138 said:

SeanT said:

There is a sad possibility that no-one in the party could do better: the divide is too deep. Put a Europhile in and the Europhobes will whinge and complain; some may even jump ship to another party. Put a Europhobe in and the Europhiles will whinge and complain.
    Yes but as HYUFD has been pointing out "euophobes" VASTLY outweigh "europhiles" in today's modern day Conservative Party.

Upset europhiles and Con will drop a bit. Upset europhobes and Con will collapse. As we're starting to see....
    Firstly, HYUFD is rolling up Eurosceptics with Europhobes.

Secondly, the members in the party are less important than the voters. Even if there are more pure-blood Europhobes in the party, that does not mean they have enough support to push through their course - either in parliament or in the wider country.
    Spot on. There is a direct parallel with left wing Labour. The Tories have many moderate supporters - traditionally the educated middle classes who want a quiet life and a government that will keep taxes low and otherwise leave them alone - and those who work in business, large and small. These people are not, by and large, frothy-mouthed about the EU in the way of Tory activists and increasingly their elected representatives.

As the Tories proceed to tear the country apart and bet the economy on their Brexit obsession, many such voters look on with concern. Given the alternative and given May's apparent steady hand, she's getting the benefit of the doubt from many such people at the moment, as they hope that someone in Government understands what they are doing and can deliver a half decent outcome. If things start to go pear shaped (in the real rather than political world) the concern of many will turn to dismay.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,010
    Good morning, everyone.

Read in the Mail yesterday that they reckon May's 'deal' would see the City taking rules on financial regulation from the EU. Can't say if that's accurate, but it does seem to fit with her less than impressive proposal, and would be absolutely insane.
  • Options
    edited July 2018

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

(snipped for decency)

No, Australia is safely on the other side of the world and well away from the fallout.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,075
    IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

(snipped for decency)

No, Australia is safely on the other side of the world and well away from the fallout.
    LOL.
  • Options
    NEW THREAD
  • Options
    trawltrawl Posts: 142
    Good morning.

Re that poll and UKIP increase, while worrying for the Conservatives can I just say the obvious that VI does not equal votes. My best return at GE2017 was on (low) UKIP voteshare. To get 8% they would need to put up a lot more candidates than they did in 2017 or sufficient people simply won’t be able to vote for them. And I imagine they will need to find some money.
  • Options
    trawl said:

Good morning.

Re that poll and UKIP increase, while worrying for the Conservatives can I just say the obvious that VI does not equal votes. My best return at GE2017 was on (low) UKIP voteshare. To get 8% they would need to put up a lot more candidates than they did in 2017 or sufficient people simply won’t be able to vote for them. And I imagine they will need to find some money.

And in the current state of UKIP, expressing a preference for them is in likelihood a protest comment likely to lead to abstentions. Indeed it is organisationally questionable whether current ukip will put up that many candidates.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

On a non partisan note, can anyone remember a time when both main parties were helmed by such inept, calamitous and unpopular leaders?

I can't. Does the polling back this up, has there ever been a similar period when both major party leaders were so disliked and disrespected?

Major was crap, but he faced Smith and Blair. Heath was shit, but he faced the wily Wilson. Brown was an idiot, but the Tories had Cameron. Etc.

Major was not crap, he left a growing economy
    Lol, So did Gordon Brown.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

On a non partisan note, can anyone remember a time when both main parties were helmed by such inept, calamitous and unpopular leaders?

I can't. Does the polling back this up, has there ever been a similar period when both major party leaders were so disliked and disrespected?

Major was crap, but he faced Smith and Blair. Heath was shit, but he faced the wily Wilson. Brown was an idiot, but the Tories had Cameron. Etc.

No he left unemployment of 8% and the finances bankrupt
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

What was unemployment when Major left power?
  • Options
    Alistair said:

HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

5%
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

5%
    Source? Every where else puts it north of 7%

https://fullfact.org/economy/has-labour-ever-left-office-lower-unemployment-it-started/

That says 7.3% when Major left compared to 7.9% when Brown left.

If you think 0.6% unemployment is the difference between brilliance and disaster then I have some hairs I need splitting.
This discussion has been closed.